Open Chronicles Cleaning Up The Eternum's Messes, part 1: That giant magic dragon's blood lake

A roleplay open for anyone to join

TTamark

Steve Will's son
Character Biography
Link
It had not taken Steve long to put two and two together. He had heard from many a different kind of undead critter that they had found a giant red lake that seemed to call to them. Finding out the location of this lake Steve knew that it was no coincidence, but he had held out hope that it was not his companions fault. Perhaps the magic lake had simply not been discovered because of the giant ice dragon that lived upon the mountains, or maybe the dragon was suppressing the lake with its presence before and now that it had been turned and left the mountain the lake has been allowed to flow free. Please anything that means that my companions did not create a mess that the locals could blame us for.

As Steve stood upon the ridge looking down upon the lake he knew he was merely been asking for the impossible. This lake was indeed the blood from that slain dragon. The dragon that now resided with the Eternum in an undead state. Fr*ck! Steve did not know if he should more upset about his companions wasting the valuable blood of a dragon, especially one such as it had been, or the fact that they had not disposed of it, instead allowing it to run amok in the environment.

Steve made his way down riding upon his flying zombie cow potato cart. He Landed at the waterside where he began running various tests to see what he was dealing with. Tests ranging from dropping some of the stew into the blood lake, dropping some of the lake into his stew, walking up and down the lake, shouting, "OOGA BOOGALOO SHOW ME THE WHOGALOO!!!" stomping his feet in the slush, and balling up some of the red snow before throwing it at his cow as though in a snow ball fight. That last one getting him a snort from the cow at the very least.

While Steve had his fun, the chickens he brought with him curiously poked at the lake as well as occasionally taking some cautious sips from the lake.

Ashieron often returned to this spot to make sure that nothing was interrupted nor that the elements or anyone had come there to use the deceased dragon's blood for their own purpose. He stood as a part-time protector of the place in which the ancient dragon fell, leaving her clutch of eggs alone and unprotected from those who wished to do them harm. That was until he and his companions had discovered it and rescued the clutch of young dragon eggs.

He thought that it would be undisturbed like usual but someone appeared to have been paying a visit to the cave. He hears the young man's screaming from all the way up there, prompting him to enter and approach him. "What are you doing here?" He asks the young mage looking irritated and pissed off about the loud noises that the young man was making in such a place. He'd spot the undead animals as well, "Speak." He commands him.

Many had regretted asking Steve to speak. The issue always seemed to be finding a way to get him to stop. Steve seeing another person, and one who was living and in good health visibly exited him. As he began answering the question he already had started his mad scramble to get some stew from the pot in his cart into one of his wooden bowls, and offer it to his new friend with a huge smile.

"What am I doing here? Well where do I begin that will explain all the factors that lead to this moment?...

Ok so imagine a power hungry woman, she wants power, and knows the best way is to have powerful friends. So she shoots out an open invitation to come meet her. One thing leads to another and we agree to make a nation for the outcast.

Everyone of the founders being able to boast great abilities, and each one with their own objectives. The lady wants power, a knight wants something worthy of a knight to protect. A court magician to one of the greatest empires to ever exist wants to relive his glory days and have an empire again. I want for nobody to ever die again.

So we start our nation not too far from here, now mind you I have my own business that I need to take care of, as well as know that their are many things that must be done especially now that I am part of running a nation. So I head off to set somethings straight in the world.

Want to guess what I return to? They have declared war on the newly founded Empire of Amol-Kalit, and slain a great dragon while I was away because they have never heard of diplomacy, and knew that I would be like don't go attacking and killing things to become more powerful that is wrong. There are enough people and things that will gladly shed their life for undeath if you actually bother to talk to them. I swear if I hadn't gone and negotiated with the beastfolk, and elven tribes, as well as the Nordenfiir before hand they likely would have just gone on a rampage and gotten themselves wiped out immediately.

The worst bit is I know it is all that evil banshees fault, the mummy is not innocent, but his personality makes him just such a follower around such a strong willed tyrant, I don't know maybe it reminds him of who he once was back home... anyways I would have gotten rid of her permanently ages ago if she hadn't merged with the knight who really is a good moral person... Sorry getting a touch off track. Anyways so when they killed the dragon apparently the blood formed this lake... Such a waste. Now I have to find out about this lake and find a good way to deal with it before it brings trouble to all life nearby. The lingering magics are no joke.

So yeah... to summarize: Evil power hungry elf. Pulls nation along for her evil antics when I am not there to stop her. She made huge messes. Now I need to fix them."

Steve put his hands on his hips as he shook his head at the actions of his companions. Steve tried his best to look determined when he talked about fixing the world, but it was possible some of his pride in himself for being such a good boy was showing.

Looking a bit surprised at the young man's eager response and his excitement to see him Ash nods. Taking out the little bits of information he needed. "You know she helped me and my companions once. when ancient dragons were attacked our keep. She was helping us protect her young." He smiles, "But she was undead for all that obviously but regardless it was a kind and amazing act she did for us."

He looks at the bloody lake with a huff, "I hate what they did to her as well, now we are taking care of her offspring with few dragons. It is a hard thing to do when you have no idea how to be a dragon yourself." Ash smiles and places his hand in the water. What appears to be crystal appears on his hand that was touched by the blood. It glows a blue light from it.

Too much magic for me to take in. His grows screw together as he thought about what he could do as well. "You do have a point about the magic being a potential issue." He tells the young mage, "As well as the whole nation being part of this elf's will to do such things. Soon the whole balance of life will be shredded again."

Soon the whole balance of life will be shredded again."
Again? Steve was confused by these words, could this person sense the necrotic energies? Then why were they still here? But Steve moved on from these thoughts, after he was here himself, to instead reflect on the words that had been said about the dragon. As he did so a warm smile grew on his face,

"Indeed, with all the years of accumulating power that the banshee has done I doubt even she could come close to truly dominating a being as powerful and majestic as her. It likely took almost all her magic to turn her when she did. Unfortunately that is where the trouble today comes from."

Steve bent down as he ran his fingers through the lake. Steve was silent for a bit as he tried to think of how to put his thoughts into words.

"I don't think you are not a mage so I do not know how to explain this, but I will try to keep it simple. When you cast a spell sometimes it doesn't work completely efficiently so you have some left over energy. The spell to turn a dragon as great as this no doubt was an amazing feat, but the left over energies from such a spell were also greater. Now I believe the dragon's blood also contained her own magical energy within so what has happened is that we now have I dare say a lake of blood infused with magics of many persuasions: cryothermic, necrotic, draconic, and likely some more."

Steve eyes narrowed as his brow furrowed.

"Now I doubt that the cryo, and draconic energies will be overly dangerous, most life here is already adapted towards the cold, and I have not heard of many dangers arising from draconic energies, but necrotic is what I know, as well as most can anyway. To be fair though even I do not really know what will happen, but what I can tell you is that the dragon will not, and has not been the only casualty."

Steve stood and called out in a commanding voice before lowering his staff into the water,

"Come, Raise, Show yourself you who have perished here!"

From the lake many spiritual forms of dead animals began to rise to the surface of the water, but never breaking through.
proxy.php
Suddenly something dawned on Steve,

"WAIT A SECOND! YOU ARE RAISING DRAGONS HERE?!?!"

• Love
Reactions: Sathirena
Ash felt a bit of an irk as the man explained hiw magic worked. Poor thing did not know he has been around probably ten times as long as he has in his short life. “You do realize I’ve been around much longer than you ever have right?” He says with a bit of a chuckle in his voice, “I probably know more magic then you will learn in your life.” He smiles as the young man casted a spell, causing the spirits of the dead appear under the lake

The mage’s ears will flick as his hearing adjusted to the sudden yell of the young man. Man humans could be loud if they wanted to “Im not saying where, but for you issues I do.” He says with a slight smile, “Since I do not know you I will be keeping much of it under wraps.” He puts a finger to his lips showing it is a hush hush topic.

“As for this bloody mess, I‘ve been here many of times. My fellow Brethren and I really use this as a source of nourishment when we ourselves are out and as far from civilization such as here.” He runs his hand through the lake of blood. “Sort of like a watering hole for other creatures but instead we use the energies from the world to survive.” He smiles as the blood on his his glown and turned to ash, floating away in a light breeze. “This is our only source this far north near the Blight.” He sighs and looks at the mage, he seemed to know about necrotic magic. But hopefully he knew enough of the risks and how they out weight the rewards.

Penny was beaming as she scribbled down notes in her volume 3 journal the frigid design of the frozen tundra she wandered in providing more than enough inspiration for her latest chapter, "Frostbite" she's been calling. Word was that there was a lake made entirely of blood nearby and as a writer, she was almost obligated to venture here and document this terror in her journal.

"As I trudged through the frigid soil of the tundra my body violently shivered as my tongue retreated to the back of my mouth, a scant attempt at not being crushed by my clattering teeth."

Penny always found that talking out loud rather than in her own head helped her keep track of ideas while brainstorming new ones. It was more a habit than anything else and it was mostly harmless but there were the rare occasions that others found her constant blabbing a tad annoying.

"My heart is racing and my mind is set on finding this lake and basking in its aberrant glory. Finding this lake will be the pinnacle of my journey thus yet and the chance to share my findings with the world makes me even-OUCH! Owww...That hurt even more than last time..." Penny cried as she wiped away the stream of blood flowing from her chin its metallic taste in her mouth making her gag as she tucked her journal back into her shirt pocket.

Once again she had bitten her tongue. In retrospect, talking while your mouth is spasming uncontrollably probably wasn't the best idea but Penny couldn't help it. After all, it would be unfitting to document the lake without giving some detail on the journey necessary to arrive in the first place. Penny continued to trudge through the ice until the faint smell of iron filled her lungs and the light from the sun reflected a red glow in the distance.

Penny sprinted towards the metallic smell frantically trying to pull out her journal and pen as she did.

"As the smell of iron cut my nose like a blade my own blood began pumping as I-" Penny stopped dead in her tracks as two figures became visible in the distance one of them holding a staff of sorts.

• Yay
Reactions: TTamark
Steve reflected on the Ashieron's words. Once the elf had made his knowledge of the magical art known Steve waited for his opinion on the lake, one that never came. When Ash had finished talking Steve quickly ran through what had been said again: "I am better than you'll ever be, I got secret dragons and you are stranger danger, finally we rely on this lake."

"Forgive me for not just assuming that you could use magic friend. It is a rare gift, rarer still to be able to use it to any decent extent. Also not the easiest to sense magic for me when surrounded by... well..."

Steve gestured at the blood lake.

"Anyways I ask you forgive my ignorance and take my words as simply me talking about my theory as I am trying to figure out the circumstances I am faced with. Now if you are as knowledgable about magic as you claim then I would very much appreciate your feedback, rather than you defending your pride...

Oh, that came across a lot more confrontational than I meant. Sorry about that, I guess, well... I might have been a touch more hurt by the last bit, about you knowing more magic than I will learn in my life, than I realized. To someone who has dedicated their life to the study of magic, even if that was just you dick waving, it really came as a slap in the face. I mean I spent half my life just trying to learn all I could about magic... I mean, like, dang bro not even Amankh, or Elisandree have said anything like that, and one is so old he is from a long since forgotten civilization, and the other is the evilest being I know."

Steve looked downcast like an injured puppy.

"So, yeah sorry... I will make sure you can still use the lake for your needs when I'm done."

Steve looked away, a single tear making its way down his cheek as he looked up the hill letting out a sniff. Before completely forgetting it as he saw someone.

"Oh hey, who's that?"

Ash did not hear what else the young mage said as he watched the spirits in the lake. He’d only say, “When you live as long as I have an you still look like you did when you are twenty then you get used to being sharp tongued about your experience. Particularly around the elders of your race.” He says with a bit of disgust, for which side he did not know.

“As for the lake, and its magic.... issue.” He steps into it and somehow pets the spirits before the freeze and turn to ghostly ash and disappear under the surface. “What caused this is the death of an ancient dragon as well as its undeath. Magic does not last forever, nor does spells.” As more of the spirits turn to ash around him the elf looks at the young mage, “But magic can continue on if the source of the spell or curse continues the sort of bridge to the magic. As in both the dragon and the person who risen her.” He smiles, “As your little friends in here had just done. They need to end, weather by someones hand or by mine.” He tells the young mage.

He’d look at the mage’s cheek as a single tear fell down it as he turned to the figure. With a bit of magic the tear disappears into the air. He would then look at the figure, “I have no idea.” He steps out of the lake, knowing that it could be anyone he keeps his hands hidden. “Step up and name yourself miss!” He yells across the distance, not trust the ground between himself and her.

• Yay
Reactions: TheDungeonMaster
"I feel like you might have had a misunderstanding. These are those who are trapped by this lake, those who were forced to have their souls become trapped within the lake as spirits. Those who were unable to choose. I know everything ends, I know well the rules of magic... Still I can't help, but wish for no one else to have to meet their end. I may be a fool, but I believe that until everything can live forever everything should be able to control their life, and their death. These are simply those who were not yet given that choice, but were willing to answer my call of their own volition."

As Steve talked he dragged his massive pot of stew towards he lake,

"These are those who were poisoned by the deeds of the past here, yet because of their misfortune you believe they only deserve to be ended? For a soul to be able to hang to the land this strongly is a miracle provided by the blood. For now I can give them a proper choice."

Steve dumped the contents of the pot into the lake before calling out to the spirits,

"Those who wish to walk the earth again feel free to feed, eat and return to your body. You have died but may walk the earth again within your own body, or instead if you wish it you may end your suffering now. Touch my staff, or allow the elf to allow you to pass on to whatever lies ahead in the final death. Oh I guess he's getting out so just my staff for the ending option."

Steve looks to the elf again as from the lake those who had chosen unlife began to rise,

"The rules of the world might say that they must end eventually, but not today. Today they get a choice."

TheDungeonMaster Ashieron

• Yay
Reactions: TheDungeonMaster
A feeling of fright washed over Penny as the two distant figures addressed her seemingly bewildered by her sudden appearance. She couldn't help flinching and pressing her fingers together as one of them asked for her name.

"Im P-Penny. Penny Coppersnatch. Im a journalist and I...Um...I came here to document the blood lake. Sorry I just wasn't expecting to find anyone here..."

Penny subconsciously pulled out her journal its brown leather cover feeling warm and secure in her hands. She reached deep into her pocket and pulled out a red fountain pen with gold accents on the cap and nib. As the girl wrote on the paper the ink was a bright blue its ink splattering on the tan-colored paper.

"As I approached the lake of blood I encounter two figures both of them seemingly mages. They have asked for my name and I reluctantly gave it to them. The lake is...Beautiful with the white snow around it forming a stark contrast on this cold day."

With great haste, Penny tucked her journal and pen away her attention refocused on the pair below her.

"D-Don't worry, Im not hostile. In fact, you could help me! I-If you wouldn't mind could you tell me more about this lake?" Penny stepped forward an awkward smile on her face. I look like such a DORK right now! She thought before losing her footing and sliding (quite painfully) down the hillside. The now snow-covered girl sat upright her embarrassment now colored on her face by a bright red complexion.

"Can you just...Tell me about the lake...Please?"

Well now that the elf wasn't killing the spirits anymore Steve relaxed a ton and focused on the newcomer.

"Hi, Penny! Nice to meet you! I would shake you hand, but... I am kind of in the middle of... Wait a sec!!!"

Steve looked at his staff than the lake, and lifted it up before slamming it down so it stood up in bed of the lake. Steve took a moment to bask in his pride for his problem solving skills.

"K, Ok, Just one more sec."

Steve ran from the lake making his way to his cart, where he pulled out his handy backup pot, though tiny in comparison to the cauldron he had dumped in the lake it still was big enough to hold a stew, one which he quickly began pouring into a wooden bowl for the newcomer.

"Hi, I'm Steve, and this stew is to DIE for, HAHAHA. As for the lake... to put it simply it is a magic lake made from the blood of a living, now an undead, dragon. You know what? to be perfectly honest... Oh my gosh I never asked your name Dragon Raiser. Sorry back on track they apparently live near here so they might be able to tell you more, question mark?"

Ashieron TheDungeonMaster