Fable - Ask Caver City

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first

Minerva

Ultramarine
Character Biography
Link
Rytghosh - The Hangnail's Hideout

Ages ago, before written records existed, there was a great vault built near the Gulf of Ryt. Towards the west of Thiria, north of the Spine. The originals orcs that would come to be known as the Inheritors used this vault to store objects of arcane origins that they deemed too dangerous for use by other orcs (and eventually mortals). Throughout the generations more and more peoples were added to their tribes. Building homes inside the caverns that surrounded the great vault.

Until eventually an entire city emerged inside of the large cave that surrounded the vault. They named it Rytghosh.

At this particular moment within the city a Summoner named Madeleine found herself nibbling upon a sandwich she'd just dipped into a jus. The Hangnail's Hideout was one of her favorite spots in all of Rytghosh. The smell of grilled octopus typically wafted throughout the small pub, the sturdier tables made of stone set up for armwrestling competitions. In the back corner was a decent spot to play dice.

It was a Summoner's paradise.

Talum, a muscular orcish woman leaned over towards her, "hey Maddy, what do you think they've asked us here for?"

"Nuh idea," breadcrumbs and bits of seafood dribbled off her lower lip, "just know they asked a bunch of us here."

Likely some ordinance or recommendation from the Elder's Council. They typically wanted a say-so from the various castes of the Urogoshi before making any major decisions.

Tzemph

• Bless
Reactions: Tzemph
"Looks like its seven, gobbos and orks," A lean and long haired ork called proudly, tusks poking out from his lips in happy smirk.

The small crowd gathered round the corner of dicing erupted into a mix of dissatisfied groans and jubilant cheers.

Halthi grunt. "Hmm, tough break," he said as he looked squinty eyed at Kilik.

"Happens to the best of us," the long haired ork replied as he pulled in the small pile of coins.

"Double or nothin, Kilik?" another Ork blooded man tried.

Kilik shook his head. "Sorry friend, got a hoagie with my name on it," he said with a wink, and finished scooping up his winnings, and the silver and copper coins clinked happy into the mouth of his purse.

A plate loaded with a hot steaming pile of thinly sliced roast oxen sat nestled between a crunchy roll of sour bread, clacked onto the table. "Heh, you just made it look so good I couldn't resist, Mads," he said with a wink and sat beside his fellow Summoner, nod to Talum. "Though," he began as he let his muscles stretch and spread about his new perch like a cat, scratched his chin. "Got a bit o' shmutz there," he grinned, and grabbed up his sandwich, gave it a dip, and scarfed it down.

Nevermind that the juices got everywhere. The Hangnail's Hoagies were famous fare for a hungry Summoner.

"Hear therf fgunna anounfe a new shftadium," Kilik went on through a mouth too full of food.

Minerva

• Popcorn
Reactions: Minerva
Madeleine grinned as Kilik took a seat and began to dig into his own sandwich. Had Talum not been on a "diet" she'd have been joining in with the two 'em as well.

"A stadium?" Her mouth wasn't full of meat and bread long enough for the short question to be posed.

More room to play kykanpahs was great and if the stadium was built right it'd even be fun to spectate matches from time-to-time.

Talum snorted, and rolled her eyes. "They aren't building no stadium Kil. Wouldn't be gettin' every Summoner that's not out on a job together to tell us that."

"I dunno Talum," Madeleine took a hefty bite of her sandwich before continuing, "phwe cfould build one so bphig nfeed us mphobe."

"What?"

Talum seemed almost apoplectic in her short response. Clearly not understanding a word Madeleine had said. "I said, we could build one so big they need us to move. Y'know, like a few of us have to move for a bit while they build it because it's so big."

The woman sitting next to Minerva crossed her arms and sighed. "Maybe." It was obvious from her tone that she didn't believe in the massive stadium suggestion but she was done arguing with the redhead.

"Kilik, how big do you think the stadium is going to be?"

• Haha
Even Kilik had trouble understanding that last part, and he was pretty fluent in Hangnail hoagiesh.

So, he just kept chewin down his big bite, and was glad Talum had said something when she did. Flicked his head toward the bigger ork lady in a way that said, what she said, without so much sayin it.

His brows raised at Madeleine's suggestion. He swallowed down the food in his mouth, and looked at the half eaten sandwich in his hand. The run of the au jus that trickled over his fingers.

"Huh, didn't think about that part," he said. Then came the next question, as his smile flickered back to life, his small tusks pokin over his top teeth, just so as his eyes glint.

"Real big," he added with a nod, and slapped his sandwich down on its plate in excitement. It splat a bit, and he blinked as he looked down at the small mess of meat spray. "Maybe not as big as the one in Bhathairk," he said as he grabbed up a nearby rag and sopped it up. He looked back at Madeleine, eyes squinted happy. "But big enough for a good crowd,"

Talum huffed. "You're just ball crazy, Kilik,"

proxy.php
The wooden floor groaned beneath the weight of another. A big fella showed up at their table. Bout twice as broad as Kilik, though a tad shorter in stature. Still in his plate too. "What do you expect from an ex-kyker" the big man said with a cold look in his eyes.

Kilik grinned. "Just mad I scored on your squad last week, Gunther,"

Gunther grinned back. "More upset you sold the foul than anything else," he sat down, and grabbed up Kilik's sandwich.

"Hey!" Kilik tried to snatch it back, but the big man's other big hand blocked the quick grab for it.

He monched it. Once. Twice. And swallowed it down. Opened his mouth wide and showed his tongue.

"Good for nothing bully," Kilik huffed.

Gunther wiped his mouth clean. "Just got in," he said flatly, flashed four fingers to a waiter. "Was hungry,"

Kilik sighed, and rest his head on a hand. "Yeah well," he smiled. "So long as I get one of those drinks, guess we can call it even,"

Gunther winked. "You ladies are welcome to have some too,"

• Haha
"Yeah, not a ton of room here in the caverns," she smiled at the idea of it being big, although Kil was right. It'd pale in size compared to the one in Bhatairk, just not enough space when your city was inside of a cave system.

Gunther interrupted their conversation and helped himself to a seat - and Kilik's sandwich - though he repaid the infraction by ordering the table drinks.

More than enough of a bribe to win over Talum and Madeleine though she doubted Kilik would agree.

Losing out on a good sandwich was a terrible fate to suffer. "You just get back from assignment or you just waking up from a bender last night?"

It was hard to keep track of everyone's schedule. There were just so many wayward artifacts out and about that small teams were deploying constantly. Madeleine herself only had leave for a few days and was supposed to ship out to hunt down some cursed jewel by the end of the week with two others.

"My last task had four of us delve into a crypt with a necromancer and, oh Talum, tell 'em the best part!" Madeleine was already snickering as she recalled the endeavor.

Talum rolled her eyes. Aggressively. "He had a lisp. There was nothing else funny about it."

"Pleash, my precioush shkeletons!" The scarlet-haired Summoner jumped in with her best lispy necromancer impression.

• Haha
Gunther looked to Madeliene and fixed her a proud smirk. "Ha, who you take me fore, Gorraz?"

The beers clacked against the table, a little bit of the frothy white head spilled over, and the dark drink sludged against the stone tabletop.

"Oh, scuse me," the comely server said, whipping a rag off his waste and sopping up the drink.

Gunther grunt.

"No problem, friend," Kilik replied with easy smile. "Oh, and can we get another sandwich please, on Gun's tab if you would," he said on the sly.

The server looked to Gunther, who was already downing one of the mugs. A bit of fear in his eyes.

Kilik winked. "Grilled octopus, extra pickles in the slaw,"

The server nod, confused, and walked away.

Kilik grinned, grabbed up a mug, took a sip as he tuned in.

"Armor's crystal got busted trying to snag a relic off some damned adventurer," Gunther sighed. "Bloody idiot wouldn't just give it up, said he needed it to avenge his family or some such dribble," he shook his head and took a drink from his mug.

Mads started talkin. Talum didn't seem impressed, but the way Madeleine had delivered the bit, eager and excited, that made Kilik laugh.

That Talum found it tiring just made it that much funnier.

"Here's that octopus sandwich! Extra pickles in the slaw," the plate clattered against the table.

Gunther looked down at it, squinty eyed and unimpressed. "Uh..."

Kilik snatched it up one sliced half, and shoved it into his mouth. "Fank fyou!"

"God damn it, you know I hate pickles, Kilik,"
Gunther huffed, snatched up the other half, and took a big bite anyway.

Kilik had already devoured the sandwich. Was licking his fingers. "Sho," he said, cheeks half full before he wiped down his hands. "You lot on the next run?" he asked, with an excited grin.

Gunther shook his head in the negative. Took another dissatisfied bight. Chewed. Swallowed. "Stone's gotta be mended,"

Kilik's eyes flit to Talum, then Madeleine. Waggled his brows. So?

Madeleine had found herself full from her own sandwich but seeing Gunther have to force down pickles was a refreshing sight. She took a long chug of her ale before clanking the glass upon the table.

"Picky eater," she chided while Talum gave a grunt of approval.

Kil asked his question, excitement impossible to miss. If she had to guess he only asked it after Gunther had confirmed his arcstone was out of commission. No chance Gunnie would be accompanying anyone on any sort of job for a week or so.

Talum gave a nod of approval. "Yeah, Mads and I are headin' off with Cap'n Laiza towards Molthal. Easiest enough job I sup-"

Madeleine cut in before Tal could utter another syllable. "Some apothecary shop, shopkeep came into possession of some enchanted mortar and pestle. Doesn't know what he's got but he knows it's worth a lot so unlikely anyone's buyin' it anytime soon."

Though, in truth, blight orcs gave her the creeps. Wasn't a unique feeling either, things were strange and served some false god.

Talum simply sighed and rolled her eyes. "Yeah, we're doing all of that."

• Wonder
"Sweet," Kilik said as he wiped the sauce from his lips with the back of his wrist. His little tusks peaked over his lips, only just. "Think we are on the same gig then,"

"Mission," Gunther corrected. shoved another mouthful of sandwich into his maw. Chewed it slowly. Washed it down with beer.

"Mission," Kilik appeased with a little smirk.

"We aren't common mercenaries, or thieves, Kil, it would do you well to remember,"

"Oh boy, here we go,"
Kilik said and grabbed up his beer. Took a long sip.

"We have been tasked with a sacred-"

"Duty, to protect the world from the hazards of magic, too powerful, and too risky to be allowed to remain in mortal hands. We, the Inheritor Summoners, have sworn a vow to serve not just our city, but all of Arethil," he grinned, his eyes narrowed and only the slightest bit annoyed. "Do I got it right, Gun?"

Gun squint back at Kilik. Huffed. "Yeah, Kil, you got it," Ate the last bit of his sandwich.

"Good!" Kilik said cheerily. Took another swig from his beer. Looked back to Tal and Mads, raised his brows, as if remembering. He let the beer down. "Oh, about that mortar and pestle," he said, glanced around before he leaned closer. Not that anyone at the Nail would be so suspect as to make use of the information, but, a habit he had developed. "I hear it can-"

A commotion at the door cut him off. Kilik and Gun both turned to look at what had come in.

• Gasp
Madeleine listened on as Kil and Gun went back-and-forth about sacred duties and their entire purpose.

Truthfully she'd never been as dismissive towards it all as Kilik was but she wasn't anywhere near as uptight as Gunther. What they did was important work, true, but it was also fun. Beating a mage senseless and taking his toys to stuff into the vault was thrilling work and the fact that it also saved Arethil itself was just icing on the cake.

Before she could add anything to their squabble though the door burst opened and a finely dressed half-orc stood in the frame. Every pair of eyeballs in the Hangnail's Hideout turned to look at the new arrival's grandiose entrance.

As vision adjusted it became obvious that the man who'd entered was Urzeg, a member of the elder council that represented the interests of the Summoner's. Talum straightened her back in her seat whilst Gunther wiped speckles of breadcrumbs from his chin.

"Ladies and gents," he spoke with a booming and commanding voice, "we're considerin' a new proposition for Rytghosh."

Urzeg took a brief pause to scan the room. "Thinkin' about letting non-Uroghoshi set up residence just outside the caves. They won't be permitted to come inside, obviously, but we can trade with 'em, socialize with 'em."

His wrinkled face furrowed for a split second, betraying his words and showing his own personal thoughts on the matter. "Some on the council think it's wise for us to get some outside perspectives of the world, or some new folks for uh... breedin' and such," a snicker roiled over the room, "but obviously outsiders bring other troubles too." He didn't need to elaborate for people to realize that meant crime and garbage and funny ideas.

"As with any major decisions we want input from all of you's, so I'm grabbin' a hoagie and takin' a seat while you all's marinate on what I just said. I'll make my rounds after I'm done."

And just like that the tavern erupted into a dozen muffled conversations.

"I like it," Madeleine offered immediately.

Talum groaned, "I hate it."

• Wonder
Kilik mulled the announcement over. Drank down some more of his beer.

Gun gave a grunt.
"Hmph, can't say I was expectin that,"

"Oh?" Kilik asked, from within his cup.

"I mean, well," he looked at Kilik, then over to Talum and Madeline. "Just, kinda different I guess,"

The smaller orc man smiled, tusky in his surprise. "Figured you'd have more of a formed opinion, Gun." he confessed.

The bigger orc man huffed with a rumble in his chest. "Mean, well, I can't say I like it, well, not all of it,"

"
Do tell~" Kilik stifled a laugh.

Gun didn't much notice. "It's just strange is all. S'pose it fits in with the old old teachins', what with havin no walls, and livin in the open world, say?"

Kilik shrugged. "Askin the wrong pair of tusks, Gun my friend,"

Gun squint with a slow spreading smile. "Hardly have any tusk to start with, so, spose you are right about that," the big orc quirked a brow in friendly tease.

Kilik shrugged. "I get along just well with the tusks I do have, thank you very much,"

• Bless
Talum cut in, she was always a fan of history. "Old tribes are still nomadic, roaming around, but they only pick up orcs. We were the only ones who let others join."

"That ended 'cause of all the trouble with," Madeleine couldn't even finish her thought before Talum interrupted once more.

"Mhm. Small cloister of mages found out 'bout us. Tried to attack and steal what we protected for themselves."

The absolute vitriol in her voice was barely contained. She punctuated her annoyed statement with a hearty glug of ale. "If I remember right, the tales say they nearly broke open the vault before a team of Summoner's finally cut them down." Madeleine wasn't really a scholar of history but everyone learned the old folktales when they were kids.

"Yeah, then took them years to hunt down all the other mages who knew of this place. Ever since then the only non-Urogoshi who could join are the ones we chose to recruit."

Or the one's that they saved, as was the case for Madeleine's grandparents.

Gun finally cut in, "too much history talk. Happened forever ago, anways. Besides, we don't have to advertise the vault to let settlers live just outside the caverns."

"I think that's precisely why they're only going to be allowed outside." It made sense, none of the Urogoshi were going to tell outsiders too many details about what they were really doing and the prospect of trade and exposing themselves to the outside world had merit. Would make a lot of their tasks that occurred in cities simpler if they at least understood the culture outside of their home.

• Bless
"The tales," Kilik said with a sly smile.

But Gun cut in before the slim Summoner could probe on. His point, most sensible.

Kilik nod, and took the last drink of his beer, and let the cup down from his lips to hit the table with a gentle knock.

Mads added her support. Kilik nod in agreement.

"Hey, I have no objection," he smirked. "More people, means more talent," he winked at Madeline, and nudged Gun next. "For the armor, and on the field,"

Gun nodded slowly. "Spose that's true, might find more folks suited for the task,"

Kilik looked to Thalum, who seemed none too pleased by his commentary. Maybe it was more his flippant nature.

"More undevoted you mean," the big woman interjected. "Folks who see our sacred task as... what did you call it Kilik?"

The smaller ork smiled. "A-"

"Gig, yes... like some back alley cuthroat,"

Kilik's smile only spread a little wider. "Hey now, you might hurt my feelings,"