Fate - First Reply Caught in Annuakat

A 1x1 Roleplay where the first writer to respond can join

Kade Anvar

Ragashan
Character Biography
Link
It wasn't that he needed to, it was because he wanted to.

Kade Anvar had come to Annuakat all the way from Ragash. Which, for a seasoned adventurer might not be a long way, but for Kade? It was the single longest journey for his life. You really got an idea of the sheer scale of the Empire by traveling through it, that was for sure. Anyway, the reason he'd come to Annuakat was to participate in the Tower of Tribulations, a contest held by none other than Medja, the Vizier of Stars herself. Kade did...reasonably well. Reasonably meaning here that he at least wasn't limping home with a busted leg and a black eye--or worse.

Almost time to return home to Ragash, as it was. The caravan bound there (and the caravan which actually agreed to take him along without charging him an arm and a leg) was to be ready within a small matter of days. So that left time for Kade to explore Annuakat, see the sights, talk to the cityfolk, maybe find another nice little souvenir to bring back home for his younger sister and brother, Aisha and Tahir. Everything he owned fit neatly inside the satchel strapped over his shoulder, and, well, there was room yet for more.

So here he was in Annuakat's Grand Market.

Among the crowds so thick at times that he had to squeeze shoulder-to-shoulder past people, beneath the desert sun and amidst the heat of the afternoon. Shade from overhanging cloth canopies fluctuated as the breeze of the day (a bit windy, huh) flapped and fluttered these oases of respite from the sun's direct glare. The din of conversation and cries of the merchant hawkers were so pervasive as to become mere background noise to anyone who spent longer than ten minutes here. For Kade, it was his element.

He had the itch in his hands. And it wasn't for the noble purpose for trying to swipe coin or food to provide for his siblings, to snatch something that his mother needed, to grab something that might help his crippled father. Nope. None of that. Kade, for the longest time, had always assured himself that what he did, he did out of necessity. Of course. He had to. His family was poor, and, well, an empty stomach--or worse, watching the people you love suffer from their empty stomachs--had a way of making one's morals malleable.

But...that wasn't the case here in Annuakat.

It wasn't that he needed to, it was because he wanted to.

So Kade went through the market, tossing about the idea of a little pickpocketing, why he shouldn't do it and why, hell, it'd be fine, don't worry about it, you've got this, this is nothing. Then, when at last the decision tipped over onto the risky side of the scales, his eyes found a mark. Someone with their back turned at one of the vendor stalls and with a pouch on their belt.

Kade approached. Casually. From the side, like he was just gonna walk on past, just like everybody else going by, nothing untoward here, no sir. And as Kade was going by, a deft hand trailed behind him, loosing the pouch from the belt of the mark--

Except the person snatched his wrist as soon as the pouch was in his hand and turned about to face him. Kade could absolutely feel the plummeting of his heart in his chest, sinking down like a heavy stone tossed into a lake. Despite it, he tried to keep a cool expression and demeanor, even while being caught red-handed.

"I'll admit, not the best way to say hello."

So I'm trying out using the "quick write" tag for this thread. Essentially, I think the tag would be good for indicating threads that are meant to be short. Little stories, quick RPs that don't necessarily have to go for long. I think "quick writes" would be good for test-driving new characters, odd or quirky situations, little bits of character building, seeing how well two characters get along, establishing an acquaintance between two characters that could be built upon later in other threads, and small slice-of-life events and everyday moments (not every thread has to be epic). That's the intent, and I want to see how it works. Join me and let's see.

"You are absolutely correct," said the dark elf, red eyes peering at the hapless boy who dare touch her things, "but if you wanted a snack all you had to do was ask."

A small, wry smirk twisted the elf's dark lips as she released his arm and gestured to the pouch in his hand, "best Annuakati pistachios coin can buy."

• Wonder
Reactions: Kade Anvar
"Pistach--?"

Kade glanced down at the pouch he held and then back up at the dark elf (her dark elvenness not even registering yet) and then down at the pouch again, and then he, curiously, gave it a bit of a jiggle. And that certainly wasn't the all too familiar clinking of coin in there.

He flashed a sheepish grin and scratched at the back of his neck with his free hand. "Hey, uh, heh heh, what can I say? I love pistachios. I can smell 'em from a mile away."

Ahhhhh...hot sands, this was awkward. It wasn't the first time he'd been caught, but it was first time that he'd been caught it was like this. What was supposed to happen was a bunch of accusatory shouting, some pointing of fingers, maybe a half-hearted chase, and Kade sprinting away as if he was gonna be late to an audience with the Emperor himself. Toss in some weaving through bewildered crowds, some expert scaling of walls and jumping from rooftops and sliding down banisters, and that was it in a nutshell.

This (distinctly pistachio shaped) nutshell was entirely different. Kade could feel his face paling with embarrassment. He was about two inches taller than the dark elf, but he felt like he was actually two feet shorter.

"Alright. So...I at least gotta try. Um. Hey. Can I, uh...have a snack? Miss...?"

He tried to flash his most winning smile.

Fieravene

• Cthuloo
Reactions: Fieravene
Luckily enough for him he was standing before a woman who was intimately familiar with the art of taking things that did not belong to her. Despite the lofting of a pointed, dark brow, her expression remained amused while he mentally flailed for how to handle a very unprecedented scenario. Let your stumble simply be part of the dance...

"...what can I say? I love pistachios. I can smell 'em from a mile away."

Good form. Her smirk twisted deeply, creating a look that was not wholly pleasant to beholden for a boy in his present situation. They were drawing attention, but the eyes of the crowds passing around them weren't on him. They were honing in on the elf. Seemed they gained themselves quite a bit more space as well. The whispers started up. The back tavern talk. The gossip of the noble salons.

The Emperor's Executioner.

Death.

The Shadow Fiend.

Don't look her in the eye.

"Alright. So...I at least gotta try. Um. Hey. Can I, uh...have a snack? Miss...?"

The dark elf blinked brightly up at him, turning on the casual amiable look like a switch, "Of course, darling," and stretched a black-gloved hand forward to take a few pistachios for herself, "sharing is caring, after all. Come, I have some shopping to do and you're looking very peckish."

• Nervous
You know what was really bad for a lad like him? Attention garnered while literally holding a pouch that didn't belong to him. Sure, maybe those folks who were just now having a gander didn't see precisely what happened and couldn't rightly say whose pouch that was in Kade's hand, maybe it was just a bag of pistachios and nowhere near as intrinsically exciting a pouch full of gold coins stamped with Gerra's countenance, but having a crowd pick up on the notion that he was a thief and having the "chop off his hand" flames fanned was something Kade absolutely didn't want to have happen.

Gossip. Murmurs. Sticking out from the general commotion of the Grand Market, because you just had that tingling sense of when people were talking about you. Only...wait. They weren't talking about Kade specifically.

...the Emperor's what? What...what kind of fiend? Also, fiend? That wasn't a word you wanted to have a picnic with.

Aside from that, the dark elf (wait, dark elf?) consented to him having a snack. Which Kade also didn't expect. There were some choice rebuttals he'd anticipated, and she voiced exactly none of them. Well...he supposed it would be awfully strange if he asked to have a snack and didn't actually eat any of the pistachios. So he dipped his hand slowly into the pouch as if it was a bag of scorpions and pinched a pistachio and took it out. Cracked open the shell and popped it into his mouth.

Come, I have some shopping to do and you're looking very peckish.

He wasn't in the strongest position to refuse, was he? Anything to make this whole interaction seem humdrum normal to the onlookers, and anything that wouldn't perk the ire of the elf.

"Nothing like company, right? And hey, thanks, you're looking pretty peckish yourself, if you don't mind my saying so."

He clearly had no idea what peckish meant. Never heard the word before, but he gambled that it was some kind of compliment--even if he figured it was probably said in jest to him. He ought to keep his mouth shut, speak when spoken to and all that, but his nervousness and embarrassment just wouldn't let him.

"Shopping. Good idea. I got an eye for deals, so I'm told. Hey maybe I should buy you a little something. You know, as thanks for the pistachios. Sharing is caring and all."

Kade ran a hand through his hair and down the back of his head and squeezed the nape of his neck.

Fieravene

• Cthuloo
"You're looking pretty peckish yourself."

"It has been a moment since my last meal," a hot moment, for certain. The heat of the Annuakat markets was enough to bake an egg on the cobble. The elf snapped open the shell of a pistachio between thumb and forejoint, tossed the emerald green nut into the air and caught it in her mouth, "we'll grab lunch on the way."

"Shopping. Good idea. I got an eye for deals, so I'm told. Hey maybe I should buy you a little something. You know, as thanks for the pistachios. Sharing is caring and all."

Amusement filtered into the woman's red eyes as she glanced aside at the boy, leading off into the crowds that parted around them like sheep around a shepherd's dog. "Well aren't you just the most thoughtful thief of the market. Don't fuss, I don't pay for anything here, perks of the job." She didn't have to. No one had the balls to ask the Emperor's Executioner to pay for anything. They could consider it an honor to serve the Emperor, keep their lives, and get on with their day.

"But ... if you have an eye for valuable or rare items, do speak up. I have some gifts to find for my wife. The sort you get for someone who has everything and needs nothing. Oh, a golden pistachio, those are my favorite..." she held up a freshly shelled nut to the air, admiring the glossy glimmer, and promptly popped it into her mouth, "What's your name, by the by."

• Wonder
Oh. That's what peckish meant. Context clues, heh. Ahhh...he probably looked stupid saying that to her. Or maybe not. She was hungry. Coincidentally peckish, you might say. Suggesting lunch.

"Yeah. Lunch. Pistachios are great and all, but, hmm, something's gotta fill in for breakfast."

He followed dutifully after the dark elf through the sea--the noticeably parting sea--of people in the Grand Market. So. Should he mention anything...about that? The uh...execution-y stuff? The fiend? Her eyes, something about her eyes, don't look her in the eyes, what, she like, turn somebody into stone don't look her in the eyes sort of thing, no, that couldn't be real, right? Or the obvious: hey, you're not Abtati, hah hah. Alright, maybe not do that. If it sounded dumb in his head, it'd sound even worse out loud.

Then she said it. Thief. And Kade grimaced...even though it really wasn't warranted? She said it, it was out in the open now, but it was most casual he'd ever heard that word levied in his direction.

Oh hey she didn't pay for anything here. That must be--

Perks of the job. Oh shit. The executioner job? Surely that was just people tossing around wild gossip. Heh. ...Heh.

Name.

"Kade. Pistachio hunter extraordinaire."

Another grin amidst paled skin.

"Gifts. Yeah I could do that. I got a modest bundle of gifts right here, truth be told." Kade patted the satchel he was wearing. "Probably nothing your wife would like. Ah, hot sands, now I know why that's gotta be hard. Somebody who has everything and needs nothing, wow, where would you even begin? It's not like you could walk up to her and hand her a bag of golden pistachios and flash a genie's grin and say, 'Picked 'em all out myself, now what's your second wish,' you know?"

The sage words of Zami Fein, the master tailor who had helped him out after the Tower of Tribulation for a special occasion, came roaring back to Kade. Basically, mind who you're talking to.

"I'm sorry. Was any of that rude?"

Fieravene

• Cthuloo
Yes, lunch. Now what did she feel like filling her belly with today? The elf gave the market a pensive look, set her sights on a stand across the way selling stirfry and that settled that. Onwards to stirfry.

"Kade. Pistachio hunter extraordinaire."

"Ohhhm, that's a useful skill to have," an amused smirk slid sideways at him, brow quirking as he began to rattle off on the idea of gifts and genies. Genies ... weren't they called something else here? Djinn, that was it. Her eyes lit up, "A djinn ... now there's an idea. Not something I'm likely to find in the market, however."

"I'm sorry. Was any of that rude?"

"Hardly," the elf replied, waving a dismissive hand at the thought, "for a dark elf, anyway. Someone else might take offense. Then again there are those who take offense at anything and everything if it pleases them to do so. Roll your dice, Kade, Pistachio Hunter Extraordinaire, what have you got to lose?"

Except everything, including his life. She came to a stop before the stirfry booth and wallowed, momentarily, in the aroma that wafted at her.

"Here we are," a gesture, an enthused smile, "best stir fry on this street. Know what makes it the best?" Her smile smarmed broadly across sallow cheeks, pearly teeth glinting, "Because it's the most convenient one. Get what you like."

• Nervous
He may have tried to steal the dark elf's coin purse (accidentally landing himself the pouch of nuts instead), but at least he wasn't rude. Well, actually, that still could've been rude, and he'd managed somehow to not add any more rudeness on top of it. Kade didn't know, and it was difficult to tell. He'd never once met someone who was so...what was the word...nonchalant about it. He didn't quite know yet if it was a blessing in disguise, or if he ought to be very, very worried.

Roll your dice, Kade, Pistachio Hunter Extraordinaire, what have you got to lose?

"Fair point. I'd be a liar if I said a few choice dice rolls didn't win me some extra, heh, 'pistachios' from time to time."

Maybe a little caution would be warranted, though. He'd be a liar if he said a few choice dice rolls never lost him some things also. He loved his father and all, but he didn't want to come back from Annuakat with a right arm shorn of its hand to match. Also, he wanted to come back from Annuakat. Ahhh...just couldn't resist, could you, Kade? Just had to go and think you were hot shit, huh?

They stopped. Fortunately, at a stirfry vendor--the man behind the booth smiling widely (with one wooden tooth sticking out from the rest) and making a show of his cooking. Ohhhh, by the Six, was that lamb in that stirfry? Kade could count all the times he ever so much as tasted lamb with his left hand--didn't even need his right. Alright, so that probably wasn't a good omen.

Get what you like.

Kade tried to smile back. He succeeded, insofar as the actual motion of the smile went--but it didn't reach his eyes. It was a hollow gesture and he knew it, because, well, he could feel that one particular bead of sweat on his brow, and he knew it wasn't from the heat of the market or the sun in the sky.

"I..."

Kade wet his lips. Tried to smile again but it felt precisely like a grimace so he stopped and just mustered up the courage to speak his mind.

"So I just have to ask. This isn't some sort of trick...right? I, uh...well I'm gonna be perfectly honest: I expected this to go one kind of way, and it's not. Not at all."

Kade, again, scratched at the back of his neck. His eyes briefly met those of the dark elf and the words overheard in gossip rang in his mind and he lowered his gaze, glancing down at her feet.

A hasty interjection, as if he were too frightened to hear the answer to his own question, "That lamb sure smells good, huh?"

Fieravene

The sanguine nature of the smile that the elf returned to Kade was not the most reassuring thing. There was mirth in her gaze - the same sort one could find in the eyes of a cat ever so pleased with itself while it toyed with a cornered mouse. It came across all too uncanny, that. The sharpness of her broadening grin would not help in the least.

The grin honed in on the sweating thief, boring through the beads on his forehead for several moments too long before -

"He'll take the lamb," a blink and she was looking to the Chef with a smile most amiable, "the pepper for me."

A moment later and Kade could count on his right hand one more time he'd enjoyed the delicacy of lamb in his life. They were served their orders in bowls made of fat-coated broad leaves with simple bamboo sticks as utensils. Fiera took to it with class and skill. Gently pinching pieces of fried pepper between the sticks and popping them into her mouth.

"Mm - may I offer you some advice?" she did, in fact, give him time to indicate whether or not she could, "There is a saying to never look a gift horse in the mouth. That, my dear, is precisely what you are doing and it is rude. You must learn to accept the gifts presented to you gracefully, and never as if you expected them. So I'm going to pretend you did not just question my gift, and instead give you the opportunity to accept it gracefully ..." Fiera gestured with her hand for him to do so.

• Wonder
Hooooooh...that was a long, agonizing time between his question and her answer. Her sorta answer--she ended up ordering him some of the lamb. Must have read his mind or watched his eyes (he'd already forgotten that he had offhandedly mentioned the lamb). He just couldn't read her. Kade liked to pride himself on his self-estimated ability to read people. Now, though, he was questioning whether he ever had such a keen sense, or if he had all this time merely been observing the obvious.

Then came her answer. Her advice, rather. And, well, he was going to trust his gut and say that the dark elf was genuine about it, even if years of experience in this were screaming at him that there was no way this could possibly be true.

Kade's shoulders relaxed some and he said, "Hey. You know what? You're right. I'm sorry."

Then that word finally registered in totality: rude. Oh shit, he'd been rude. The last thing he wanted to be with the dark elf of whom those murmurs from the earlier crowd had some, uh, worrying descriptions about.

"I really put my foot in my mouth." He grinned guilty, and his shoulders hunched up again, and altogether he had in that moment the air of a scolded dog. "Guess that's another saying, huh? I'm...so I'm a little nervous. If you can tell. You can probably tell."

He accepted the bowl of lamb in one hand, held the bamboo sticks in the other, gestured upward the bowl as a way of expressing gratitude before saying outright, "Thank you. Really. Honestly."

Kade scooped up a chunk of the lamb and popped it into his mouth, and his expression simply melted into pure delight. Eyes closed, head rolling back slightly, light mmmmm rumbling in his throat as he chewed. The dark elf had no idea how much Kade loved lamb, how rare a treat it was for him, though she could probably get a notion of it now.

And it was then that he felt like a real piece of work for trying to steal from her. The cold hand of shame brushed against his chest, and he just felt awful.

Fieravene

"You're welcome. I poisoned it."

Two statements spoken in such a flat, serious tone there was no way it could have been a joke. Oh, but these noodles were really hitting the spot. If there was one thing that would have made this perfect it was a bottle of dry red Mergado. She eyed the boy, flashing him a smirk behind a slurp of noodles.

"I'm joking, of course."

• Scared
Kade froze.

His eyes drifted down to the bowl of lamb. Back up. And, detached from that sudden and pervasive pang of fear he'd felt, the first thought which crossed Kade's mind was: this is the most delicious poison I've ever eaten.

The dark elf slurped her noodles. And said that she was joking.

Kade's shoulders dropped like twin sacks of sand. He let out a huge sigh of relief, and his head rolled back on his neck as if propelled by said sigh. In a funny (maybe even a little morbid) way, Kade's chief concern was his life, yes, but a very close second was that the lamb had been spoiled--and what a waste that would have been.

"You're really believable when you say stuff like that," Kade said, taking another bite. Chewing. "I'm, uh...but I'm sure you knew that."

He swallowed. Unintentionally on cue.

"Those...so those people back there, right? They were just telling tall tales, weren't they? Or talking about someone else? I mean, if I were to look you in the eye, I wouldn't turn into a stone statue, would I?"

He realized he was doing it.

Looked away sheepishly.

Then, upon realizing the obvious, returned his gaze to the dark elf. He really didn't want to be rude. At least with his eyes. His mouth damn well ran where it pleased sometimes.

Fieravene

• Cthuloo
"Indeed? I suppose I have spent a long lifetime giving the truth scope..." she slurped another noodle, clearly pleased with herself and amused with his reactions. Too easy, far too easy. So easy that he, apparently, bought the local gossip on her, sight unseen. Many would warn against making such purchases.

"Turn you to stone?" Fiera scoffed, snorted, "That's a new one," and moved on with her noodles, wending her way back into the crowds without any trouble at all. Everyone was still avoiding her as much as possible.

"No, my dear, I turn people to dust and soot, but not for looking me in the eye. Codswallop. What else are they saying about me?"

• Yay
A long lifetime. To Kade that meant eighteen years. Coincidentally, all of the eighteen years he'd been alive. Sure he knew the bare fact that elves lived extraordinarily long, but he lacked the experiential ability to comprehend just how long Fieravene meant by long. His base of reference, the length of his own life, whilst it felt long enough to him, was insufficient as a guide and Kade couldn't even conceive that it was. What were two centuries, three centuries, more, to a young man not even through a fifth of a single one?

Yet, inadvertently, he avoided once again putting his foot in his mouth by saying, "Must be pretty wide. That scope."

Kade had to remind himself through the succulent taste of the lamb that, hey, she's moving, better get moving too. He got off to a hastened half-step at first, then settled into a normal stride to keep up with the dark elf. Wow, look at that crowd part, though. Might as well be able to turn someone to stone with a simple look, the way these market-goers slid away from the dark elf's path, and with the quickness.

Dust and soot. So...making a bonfire out of them?

"Somebody said you were the 'Shadow Fiend.'" Kade held his bowl with one hand, and made a wavy hand gesture with another. "WooooOOOoooo. Now that one sounds like some real codswallop if you ask me."

Codswallop. He hadn't heard that one before. But he liked it. Rolled off the tongue nicely.

Fieravene

• Haha
Shadow Fiend.

Fieravene couldn't argue with that one. She could, however, shrug it off with the nonchalance of a horse swatting at a fly while dozing at a tie post. The elf gave the boy a side-eyed look, amused beyond any right she had to be.

"I suppose when one's wardrobe includes raven, ebony, and obsidian..." black, black, and black, "it's not so farfetched. But enough about me," because these rumors and gossip were silly and boring, much as she suspected, "where to next for you?"

• Popcorn
Kade finished the bowl of lamb. Wait, finished? Ah wow, he ate that fast and didn't even know it until his bamboo utensils had scraped the bottom of the leafy bowl. He just carried it in his offhand as they walked through the Grand Market.

The dark elf certainly did keep things...dark, heh. Kade hadn't truly realized just how many words there were for it until she began with a short list of them. Alright, so the moniker made sense, right? In a practical, she's absolutely not some kind of ifrit in the guise of a dark elf kind of way, right? That was the answer Kade liked best so he went with it.

Where to next for you?

Despite his mild trepidation at the unknowns about the dark elf (the parting crowd wherever she walked, the whispered names, her ultimate intentions with him), Kade had settled into a place of at least some comfort walking beside her. Out of all the hairs on the back of his neck, he'd say...hmm...yeah, more than half had relaxed and laid back down.

"Funny you should say that. You know--and I'm not making this up--I was supposed to have an audience with the Empress Medja herself? Crazy, right? I was in that Tower of Tribulations tournament she hosted and apparently I did well enough to catch her attention. Well...she got busy, so, the audience never happened."
Kade touched his hair, locks of it between his fingers, as his palm massaged his forehead. "Heh, they even got me all dressed up for it and everything. And then they took the clothes back right as soon as the audience was cancelled, haha."

Kade took in and let out a big breath, this in an oh well kind of manner. "I have to catch a caravan home to Ragash in a few days, so it's probably not going to happen. It'll make for a good story though, if nothin' else."

Fieravene

• Sip
"You don't say?"

The Tower of Tribulations must have happened during her brief outing with Gerra. Fieravene had heard snips and tales of it in passing, but not given it much attention otherwise. In her ever-vagrant lifestyle, when things needed to be important they usually had their way of marking themselves out. Given the extreme unlikely chances she'd have pegged the boy for a competitor, the world seemed to be trying to slap her in the face with it like a day-old catch at the fish market.

Still fresh! Sort of. Suggested mode of consumption: char-grilled.

Ok, she'd bite.

Especially since he'd called her Empress Medja. Fieravene made no effort to correct him.

"Clothes and all? Rude." She slurped her last noodle and rolled the sticks tidily into the leaf bowl, "I am heading for Ragash as well, as it happens. How would you like to earn a bit of coin on your journey home?"

• Wonder
There was no way he was this lucky.

Alright, alright, perspective. Kade wasn't shy about saying that, yeah, he really did have a genie's luck sometimes. There was a reason he still had both of his hands and all of his fingers. But there was the occasional bout of good luck, even astounding luck, over a period of years and then there was this. Honestly, he wasn't sure how to rank his encounter with the dark elf versus the Tower of Tribulations--that had a fair bit of luck to it too, even counting Empress Medja's unfortunate busyness and cancellation of the audience.

Well...how could he say no to coin? That was, heh, uh, okay, embarrassing to admit now, since the dark elf hadn't pulled out a scimitar and looked fiercely at his wrists, but coin was what he'd been after when he tried to slip her pouch from her belt. Aisha and Tahir would appreciate it. Certainly. Whatever the dark elf was willing to give him, and if he earned it, Kade wasn't about to go spending it on himself.

"Coin. I like the sound of that. What am I doing, hunting down more pistachios for you? No sweat." He grinned, knowingly. "It's not gonna be that easy, huh."

Fieravene

His enthusiasm was palpable. Or maybe that was just the smell of the slave market wafting in from up ahead. Who was she to say - perhaps desert enthusiasm smelled of sorrow, sweat, and broken dreams here. She smiled, her lips cutting open over pearly whites like a blade, "Nothing ever worth doing is easy, poppet."

Off in the distance, the bell tower tolled midday, taking the dark elf's attention, "Seven Sands is that the time, I'm late for my afternoon executions."

Fishing into a satchel at her hip, Fieravene withdrew what appeared to be a carved wooden token the size and shape of a large coin. One side featured the image of a lotus, previously painted red but the color had worn away. The other shown a curious, unknown symbol of flat black.

"My caravan leaves from the eastern gate in two days time. Take this and present it to the Caravan master. He will assign you your duty." She flicked the token high up into the air for him to catch, and by the time his eyes looked back to where the elf had been she was gone, naught but the rolled up leaf bowl remained sitting on the ground in the place she had stood.

• Wonder