Private Tales Captured or Running Away

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Whatever Keyleth had been expecting, it certainly wasn't for Nasir to be some sort of self-described vigilante. But it suited him. The man was composed and pragmatic. She had a hard time believing that he'd take well to anyone telling him what to do, even the harbinger of a God.

Quietly, she found her feet and came to stand beside him. Her eyes swept over his dark features, able to properly see him at last in the light. He was... Unsettlingly handsome.

That strange sensation pulsed through her form once more and she had to tear her eyes away from him, biting her bottom lip.

"And you still want to go back to finish the job?" She asked in a low voice.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Nasir
"For the sake of my people." He said softly.

It was likely a revalation that she would doubt, but it was true. His goal had always been the abolition of his people, to free them of the divine chains that bound them in their suffering. It was those collars around their throats, the ones that they did not even know of, that kept them back.

His lips thinned for a moment.

"I do not know...If I can." Nasir said as he turned back towards Keyleth. "There is a curse upon me, set by the priests."

He did not know why he bothered telling her, he hadn't told anyone in centuries. "If I try to step into the Underdark now I will be but cinders."

Keyleth was quiet for a few moments as she considered his words, her eyes narrowed in thought. "What if someone else went into the Underdark in your stead to see if they could find someone to help remove the curse?"

• Popcorn
A smile flickered over his features. "They would slaughter you in seconds."

The words were not meant to denigrate Keyleth in any way. He had seen her fight and knew that she was capable, but the Underdark was more than just his people, and even then his own name would not go far among many.

Not after two hundred years.

The Under Realms were like the Ixchel Wilds, but worse. One could get lose in seconds. Directions disappeared, up became down, and every new tunnel was a maze that stretched on for miles upon miles. It was dangerous, even for him. "I would not put you on such a path."

He said softly.

"The gates might provide a way for my return." Or they might not. "There is only one way to know."

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Keyleth
Nasir's response actually brought the slightest of smiles to Keyleth's face. Tentatively, as though testing the waters, she reached over to him to brush her fingers against his hand then delicately laced them through his own. She couldn't quite say what compelled her to do so... But she felt a need to be close to him.

Perhaps the two of them were just broken people.

"Alright... Then let's go see what we can find." She murmured.

• Devil
Nasir gently tugged Keyleth to her feet, pulling her up so that she was once again standing. His eyes caught hers for a brief moment, just the briefest of smile flickering over his features for just one moment before he motioned towards the west.

"It's a long walk." It was a statement of fact.

Yet the direction he pointed them in lead directly through the Ixchel Wilds. Unlike with the Mainlander there was no talk of going along the coast, of wandering to avoid the monsters. It seemed that Nasir simply did not care.

He was the monster here.

Not what lurked within the Wilds. "Is there anything you want from the village?"

If she could pluck it from the ashes.

• Popcorn
She couldn't remember ever seeing the drow smile, the expression made his stern features absolutely stunning. It was infectious and she couldn't stop herself from smiling back at him. When she realized that she was smiling at the man, she quickly turned her gaze back to the village.

Her heart stuttered to a halt in chest.

"Larik..." She murmured under her breath.

She cleared her throat and shook her head. "We'll uh... Need horses. I can barely walk." She explained, turning to make her way back to the village.

Her fingers flexed a few times, still able to feel the rough grasp of Nasir's hand in hers. What was wrong with her?

Once she'd put some distance between them, the elven warrior gave a sharp whistle, hoping to see the hound materialize out of the smoke.

• Bless
He did not materialize out of the smoke, but Keyleth and Nasir did find Larik sitting idly by one of the few remaining buildings that had not been burned to the ground.

It was a farmhouse, or something that had once been a farmhouse. There was a barn sitting next to it, and although the roof of the house had caved in on itself it was clear that the rest of the building wasn't going to fall down any time soon.

"Intrepid little thing." Nasir murmured to himself as he spotted the Hound.

Larik, for his sake, simply looked up at Keyleth and gave out a happy bark, his tail wagging as he stood and walked slowly over towards her with hopping steps. The Drow shook his head, simply glancing towards the Farmhouse.

They would be able to find food and the like as well.

• Bless
"Oh thank the Depths." Aviana exhaled a sigh of relief, rushing over to the hound once she found him. She carefully knelt down onto her good leg, wrapping her arms around Larik to hold him close.

"I was so worried I'd lost you." She murmured to him, stroking his head when she leaned back to look him over. The massive hound simply wagged his tail with excitement, clearly happy to see her as well.

Her eyes wandered back to Nasir as he lingered nearby, finding her feet once more.

"I can ready the horses... If you want to find some food?" She offered, as though reading Nasir's mind.

• Popcorn
For a brief second Nasir watched the hound and Keyleth interact.

The dog glanced at him for a moment, seemed to sniff the Aegis, and then simply turned away from him as if utterly disinterested. An eyebrow quirked for a brief moment, but he decided not to think about it. Instead he simply nodded his head.

"I'll gather enough for us." Though in truth he wasn't all too worried about starving to death.

Magic would take care of that if need be, especially in the wilds. There was always something looking to kill you, the trick was just killing it before it got there. His head shook, and he quickly moved into the farmhouse to rummage around.

• Sip
Keyleth took her time getting the two horses saddled. It was a struggle with her injured leg, but she wasn't about to complain to Nasir about it. He would few her as nothing but weak and pathetic if she did. If she didn't want to end up like everyone else from the village or his band of thugs, she would need to stay useful.

She couldn't help but wonder how long her usefulness would last though.

What would happen when he grew tired of her, as he had his men? Would he incinerate her on the spot?

She grimaced at the possibility, but couldn't see another option in front of her. If she wanted to find her daughter, she would need to keep moving. Nasir could offer her protection until she was well enough to travel on her own. It wasn't much of a plan, but it was something.

Being an exile was something the elven queen was entirely too familiar with and she sympathized with Nasir... But she couldn't ignore the fact that he would likely kill her on a whim if one suddenly struck him.

At her side, Larik huffed and nuzzled into her hand, distracting her from the grim thoughts.

"I know, boy... Dont worry, I'll help you find him. The two of you belong together, after all." She uttered the words without thinking and felt a sudden stab of pain in her chest.

In all reality, she didn't fit into the picture with the Mainlander anymore. He'd never be able to look at her without seeing the horrific events that separated them in the first place. Not to mention how little he likely thought of her now.

Her fingers fumbled with a clasp on a saddle and she cursed under her breath as she metal pinched her skin.

• Popcorn
A hand came and folded over Keyleth's.

The touch was a surprisingly soothing one, greyish black hand folding over hers as his thumb scrunched inward ever so slightly. She would feel a brief flare over the pinched skin, and then a numbness wash over the pain. "Fine animals."

Nasir said softly, his tone the same as always, though something more there.

If he had heard what she'd said to Larik the Drow gave no indication of it. He simply looked down at Keyleth, bright blue eyes seeming to give off a soft glow within the bare light of the barn. For a moment he stared at her, then slowly glanced over the horses.

"We'll release them into the wilds at the foot of the mountains." He told her. "It's never fair to take them underground."

They did not like it.

• Thoughtful
Keyleth jumped slightly when the warm hand gently curled around her own. She stifled a quiet yelp of surprise, not having expected the drow to return so quickly. Her gaze glanced down to the hand over her own, but she didn't pull away from Nasir.

His touch was soothing, like a balm over an aching burn.

She gently brushed her thumb over the back of his fingers, a faint smile touching her lips.

"They're sturdy enough beasts, a bit skittish though." She reached up to brush her free hand along the long neck of the horse she'd been saddling.

"In Minaris, we ride Elk. They're bigger than horses and more sure-footed." She mused with a reminiscent smile.

• Sip
He nodded.
Nasir had heard of such things before. "I believe my Kin in the Falwood do the same. Ride Elk, I mean."

For a second he mused, wondering if that was something the Elves on the surface all did. He supposed an Elk would be better than a horse. Larger, more fierce. He shook his head for a brief second, glancing at the Horse before shaking his head.

"We ride Spiders in the Underdark." He explained. "They are more agile, faster."

Though less controllable than those mounts found on the surface. "One must be...careful with them."

Lest they lash out.

• Wonder
Keyleth's wrinkled her nose at the thought of riding massive spiders. As powerful of a fighter as she was, that didn't preclude her from despising the loathsome creatures. There was just something about the way spiders moved that made her skin crawl. Or perhaps it was the fact that their spindly legs were entire too long. She didn't realize there were spiders big enough to ride in existence, and knowing that information immediately made her never dread the Underdark.

She chuckled a little to hide the shiver down her spine and moved to saddle the next horse.

"What do you keep as housepets? Roaches?" The question was asked in jest, but she couldn't help but be morbidly curious.

• Popcorn
Nasir let out a chuckle.

It was the first time she would hear the emotion from him, the first true joy that came from him in their entire time being together. Including that barn. He smiled and shook his head. "No, no insects inside."

He knew of few Drow who kept any pets at all, though there were some.

"There are the Cua'tal." Nasir mused. "Much like cats, though they have six legs instead of four."

He paused a second, then added. "And two tails."

Nasir did not mention the razor sharp teeth or the poison fangs.

Keyleth was surprised to hear the man actually laugh. She hadn't thought him capable of mirth. The sound of his chuckle was unexpectedly pleasant, bringing a slight smile to her face. Why did it feel rewarding to make her captor laugh?

She crinkled her nose at the realization and shook her head, clearing her thoughts.

A few moments later, she expelled a quiet breath and pat the side of the horse she'd been saddling.

"Alright. We're ready to go."

• Popcorn
His headed nodded as he closed the saddlebag, shifting it so that the steed would be slightly more comfortable.

It had taken him some time to grow used to the animals. They were strange beasts, far more finicky, but he had slowly grown an affinity towards them. Some more than others. He cast a brief glance towards Keyleth. Eyes lingering for a moment.

With quick few steps he walked over to her and gently grasped her hips. With a quick heave he lifted her to help her clamber into the saddle

"We'll ride until dusk." He told her as his fingers slipped away from her skin. "Then make camp."

• Thoughtful
Keyleth had held no expectation of Nasir's help, but he provided it nevertheless. Their dynamic had shifted in some inexplicable way and the elven warrior was unsure what to make of the development. The man who'd taken her as a captive, held her as a slave in all but name, was now giving her aid. Protecting her. Sparing her. None of it made any sense.

She offered a slight smile in thanks once she was settled in the saddle -- still able to feel the warmth of his touch lingering.

In an effort to drive the thoughts from her mind, she gathered the reins in hand and lightly dug her heels into the side of her mount, clicking her tongue.

Larik trotted along beside her, tongue lolling from his maw and his tail held high. It seemed the hound was quite excited to be on the move again.

The ride was a remarkably quite and uneventful one, even as the small group reached the edges of the Wilds. That didn't mean it was leisurely, however. Keyleth's leg pained her as they rode and she kept her seat with grit teeth. By the time they reached a suitable campsite, she was tempted to tell Nasir to leave her behind in the morning.

If she still had possession of her Bond, she could have mended the injury well enough so that she could at least ride without discomfort. But... with that bond now severed, she'd been deprived of that energy. In a way, a part of her soul had died with the great leviathan.

Nasir had demonstrated his magical prowess, but she was still too prideful to directly ask for his help.

Instead, she haphazardly slipped out of her saddle and gasped in pain as her feet struck the ground. She had to grab a hold of the saddlebag to keep from falling down as her knee gave out from the impact. For a moment, she stayed leaning against the horse with her eyes squeezed shut, holding her breath while she waited for the pain to pass.

Eventually, she let out a slow breath and straightened herself.

• Popcorn
Nasir slipped from his horse with as little effort as one could imagine. His boots struck the floor and his head immediately turned to look towards Keyleth.

He could already see the pain in her gait, the way she walked slightly shifted as she tried to hide the agony that she was likely in. A frown touched his face for a brief moment, and he wondered if there was a way to speed up her healing.

The magics he held would be of little use to him there.

What lurked inside of him could not create, only destroy, and he doubted she wanted that sort of thing touching her in this moment. Fingers flittered for a few moments at his side, and then he stepped over towards her. "I'll gather wood and some herbs."

He told her.

"Set up the tent, then we'll see to your leg." Nasir was no apothecary, but he knew these things well enough to help at least a little.

• Popcorn
The elf met his piercing gaze and gave a quiet nod in response. Setting up the tent was a simple enough task and she could manage it on her own without too much strain on her knee.

While Nasir was gone in search of firewood and some herbs, Keyleth set about readying the campsite. It was a slow process, but she eventually got the tent erected and even dug a small hole, lining the perimeter with rocks for the fire.

She fed the horses and Larik, then crawled into the tent to collapse onto her bedroll. She was exhausted and her body ached.

It had been a long day.

Before she realize it, Keyleth had closed her eyes and drifted to sleep before Nasir even returned.

• Popcorn
Keyleth would find herself waking to a small fire built just outside the tent, Nasir sitting quietly on the ground with his legs crossed besides her.

There was a bundle of herbs not far from them, and a creature the size of a large rabbit hanging over the flames that added the scent of cooking meat into the air. The Drow had not moved to wake her when he'd found her asleep, figuring that she needed the rest.

When he noticed the Aegeis stir his gaze shifted. "My people have never needed much sleep."

He commented quietly.

"A quirk, perhaps from our gods." Notably he said the word with some odd amount of disdain. "I did not want to treat your wound while you rested."

Nasir told her softly.

• Wonder
Keyleth glanced around the campsite briefly, and quickly realized that she'd been asleep for quite some time. She felt refreshed, but still rather groggy.

Nasir spoke softly to her, as though he was still trying not to disturb her.

"Oh..." She murmured, rubbing the sleep from her eyes with the heel of her hand. "Sorry, I didn't mean to fall asleep... but thank you for letting me rest." Keyleth after a brief pause, her tone genuinely gracious.

Another cursory look around the camp and she noticed that Larik was sound asleep by the horses, dozing comfortably between the saddles that were resting on the ground. It put her at ease to see the massive hound so relaxed.

Her attention returned to Nasir and she offered a sheepish smile. "Well... I'm awake now if you wanted to try?"

• Popcorn
He glanced down at her for a few seconds, frowning for just a moment as he looked at the wound on her leg. It was bound still, but he nodded his head. "That would be best."

Nasir still spoke in that same dead tone.

There were few other options that were open, at least in his view. If she wanted to travel that wound would have to be treated. The herbs would not work overnight, but they would at least speed up the process a little bit.

"It will hurt." He warned her. "Though only for a short while."

Slowly the Drow reached out to her, pulling off the old bandages and grabbing the bundle of herbs so that they would be ready.

Her lips tightened to a thin line as Nasir pulled the wrapping from her leg. He was gentle enough that it was only mildly uncomfortable for him remove it. The knee was swollen and already swathed in dark bruises, in the shape of a boot.

She chewed the inner corner of her mouth as she watched Nasir take up the herbs.

"Sort of used to pain at this point in my life." She retorted dryly, giving a small shrug of her shoulder.

"I'll be alright."

• Popcorn