Private Tales Brothels and Broken Things

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
The boys grumbled but they did eventually leave after admitting they had in fact not brought his shirt with them, that in fact it was actually beyond wearing anyway. But they left some directions for the shops before they left, as well as to Rose's study.

Rose's study was in the library.

The library was a city in itself built underneath the city the White Ravens called home. It was a warren of twists and turns that opened suddenly into large circular rooms light by a weird unnatural light that felt like daylight but wasn't true daylight. It was peaceful down here and almost nearly entirely silent. What conversations did take place were in low murmurs between small groups or behind closed doors. There were plenty of people in purple robes that signified the life of a Scholar milling about if anybody needed anything.

Rose's study was on the third level down, for you entered the Library at its peak and like an iceberg had to bury downwards to the more important stuff. It was a large room made cozy by the fact she had tried to cram as much of the library into her room as possible. Books were stacked and piled haphazardly across the walls and on the floors when space forbade her to put anymore on the shelves. There was a large desk and a werelight hung from the cieling casting sunlight across the circular floor.

She was just finishing clearing it of papers when Cassian finally walked in.

"Cassian! Please, come in, find a chair," she glanced around and chewed her lip before taking the pile that was in her arms to some corner already piled high and setting it down there. "I hope managed to get some sleep last night or this morning, we have a lot to get through."

• Sip
Reactions: Cassian
Yes. Cassian had bathed. He no longer smelled of stale alcohol and sweat. He wore a fresh, white linen shirt, with new boots and breeches, and he'd trimmed his hair and beard considerably. He was also pissing blood but hey, he couldn't have it all.

He'd allowed himself one very large whisky on his way to Rose's office, but it only served to dull his headache from his current withdrawal. It was far more hindering to him to stop drinking than to simply keep going..It took him a while to find but luckily he’d arrived a few minutes before the bell tolled and he gave himself some mental points for effort.

He smiled at the woman’s greeting though suddenly felt awkward given what he knew, and he had to refrain from letting his eyes wander to the woman’s stomach. He felt rigid.

“Mh.. enough, lass.” he answered and wandered over to sit, keeping his eyes busy as he looked around her study instead.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Lexi Quinzell
Rose sat on the other side of the desk and dumped a massive book in front of him along with a notebook and a matching copy of the book in front of herself. It was written in Allirian.

"I thought you might prefer reading something in your own language rather than the Common Tongue, but I have a copy in that if you would prefer," Rose sounded shy as she explained then gave him a hesitant smile before flicking open her own book. "Anyway, this book is basically your bible, or your glossary, of the most common kinds of monsters you're likely to face on the field. We go from demons all the way through to deities..." she trailed off and glanced to him before leaving the book and steepling her fingers.

"Are you ok? You look like a little ... uncomfortable. Is it because you're sleeping with Lexi?" she made a worried face.

• Wow
Cassian glanced up at her awkwardly as he looked down at the books, he was notoriously bad at reading in any language, most of it just looked like lines and dots to him. “Righ’... ‘Fraid I’ll have to brush up a little..” he cleared his throat.. at least there were sketches and diagrams..

He’d been studying one of the drawings when Rose asked the question and his eyes shot up to stare at her. “What??” he sat back in the chair, trying not to look uncomfortable but he was failing miserably, playing with the collar of his shirt as his neck heated. He couldn’t look at her, nor could he think of anything else to say that wouldn’t be a lie and he didn’t want to insult the woman.

• Haha
"Please, don't feel awkward about it," Rose put her hand across the table and patted his book as she couldn't reach his hand and gave him a reassuring smile. "Kain mentioned it... and well the boys are not particularly subtle about things especially when they're drunk..." she trailed off and then brought her hand back and folded them over the desk. For a moment she just chewed her lip thinking how best to proceed in the conversation.

"Look, things between Lexi and I ended a long time ago, years ago, and I know it is still something she is working through but I don't... I don't want it to affect how we work that's why I'm bringing it up," her brows knitted together in a small frown. "I just wanted to get it all out now so we can put it behind us and I can focus on doing my job, and you can focus on doing yours. Does that work for you?"

• Thoughtful
Cassian’s groaned, huffing sharply as Kain was mentioned. “It’s not Kain’s business to be mentionin’ anythin’ to you lass. No offence but it ent his business an’ it ent yours either.” he stood up and turned away, his trust dented and temper flaring. The boys he could forgive, his tongue was loose when he was drunk at times too, but Kain had no excuse and he could only assume the man was trying to cause issues.

He rubbed at the ever growing tension at back of his neck as he listened to her speak about Lexi and his jaw clenched trying not to let his thoughts escape his lips. “Aye. Works for me fine lass.” He dropped his gaze with a growled huff..

“It ent anythin’ serious... I’m just a pass time whilst she tries to forget you, not that you’re makin’ that easy for her with this now..” Fuck.

• Wow
Rose sat there calmly as he stood and tried to get his thoughts in order. Most of the people in the order had similar tempers and she had learned long ago to weather the storm. His last sentence however left her confused for a moment and she bit her lip as she tried to think what he... meant...

"...Oh," Lexi knew. Guilt rose in her and it took effort not to automatically touch her stomach. She rubbed at her face then drew a hand through her hair. The silence was uncomfortable and as she had brought up the topic it felt to he she needed to break it. "Is she ok? No, that's a stupid question," she took a breath and stood up herself, moving to the side of the room where a series of drink decanters stood. She took the jug of water and poured herself a glass.

"I would offer you a drink but I don't think I have anything near strong enough for you right now," Rose turned and gave him a small apologetic smile. "If it's any consolation I don't think you're just a pass time. Kain doesn't either which is why he mentioned it to me," she sighed slightly and walked back to the desk.

• Popcorn
That ‘oh’ caused the man’s stomach to flip. “Fuck..” he rubbed at his face and turned back to look at her. Lexi was going to kill him for getting involved, he hadn’t meant to in fairness but anger spoke for him as much as whisky did at times..

“No she ent alrigh’.” He answered quickly. “But you ent done nothin’ wrong either, lass. You’re gettin’ on with your life and she ent let go. Might be a guy and you women are all so fuckin’ frustratin’ to work out but I ent blind and nor are you.” Lexi loved her. That much was obvious.

He watched her as she poured herself some water and ran his fingers into his hair in mild frustration, wishing he could take what he’d said back, he was making it worse.

His brow lifted at her reassurances and he quieted for a moment, giving her a brief look of doubt before approaching her desk again and pressing his hands down to lean as he looked over her.

“Look, she’ll have my balls cut off if she knows I got involved in this. She’s got enough to be worryin’ bout an’ I told her I wouldn’.. can we forget this?..”

Last edited:
  • Popcorn
Rose couldn't help the small laugh at his comment of her having his balls cut off for getting involved. Even she couldn't refute that fact. Her friend had always sought to solve her problems with violence; it was what made her such a good Commander on the field. It was the politics she had had to learn to deal with over her time at the helm - and still did.

"Yes... yes we can," Rose watched him for a moment longer as if trying to make up her mind about something before looking back down to the book and motioning for him to take the seat opposite her. "Let's continue then. So let's start with the Demonic Princes...."

There was a reason why Rose was the one teaching him; she was good. More than that, excellent. She was the type of teacher even students who hated to learn found themselves eager to. There was not much reading from the book rather she brought the stories on the pages to life and made them memorable. It was about two hours later that she leaned back in her chair and shut the book.

"Well if you take that with you for some light bedtime reading, we can meet again tomorrow at the same time and go through the next section. We'll have you up to date in no time."

• Dab
If his outburst had helped with anything at all it’d helped dull the awkwardness he’d felt after being confronted about Lexi. Change the subject, great tactic. He only hoped the woman kept her husband away from Lexi if he hoped to father any more children in future..

He sighed and dipped his chin in thanks as she agreed it’d be forgotten for now at least, his eyes studying her face as she seemed to want to say something else. She didn’t, and her attention was back on the books so he sat and crossed his arms over the table.

Cassian tried not to make his difficulty with reading too obvious, but he seemed to pick things up pretty well with her methods of teaching.

“Bedtime reading... righ’..” he laughed nervously under his breath “Thanks, lass.” he smiled at her, reaching to grip her hand. It had several meanings.

“Tomorrow then.”

• Bless
"If you have any problems just ask the boys, they should be able to help," Rose gave him a sceptical look which implied her comment was half a joke but she reached out and took his hand warmly, giving it a firm shake. With that done she moved around the desk. "Come on, I'll show you the way out I have a meeting over in the medics bay anyway," she grabbed her coat on the way.

As they emerged into the upper levels of the Library where the exit was Rose parted ways with him and waved her hand in a gesture of farewell before disappearing down some other warren rabbit hole of tunnels. At times it was easier to travel through the Library Undercity rather than the city itself, especially if you knew the labyrinth as well as she did.

When Cassian would emerge into the courtyard outside Kain was stood with his back to the man talking to another man dressed in black. It didn't seem like an important conversation which entailed recommendations on places to visit in the city.

• Wonder
He couldn’t help but laugh under his breath as she suggested he ask the boys, they’d probably just tell take him back to the mess to discuss it over a drink or fifty. “Aye..” was all he said on the matter.

He followed her and waved her off as she parted ways, and he stood for a moment, letting his anger boil back up and considering whether he should confront Kain or not. It was doubtful that he’d be able to control himself and consequences were likely, perhaps he’d have to let it slide.

He stepped out into the courtyard and froze, the sight of the man reigniting the rage he’d felt at the man’s betrayal of not just his trust but Lexi’s as well. Perhaps, she wouldn’t be too hard on him if it were just one hit. One good enough to make him feel better and make Kain think twice about hitting back... Cassian wasn’t good at stopping once he’d started.

Fuck it. He strode toward the man, fingers curling into a tight fist “Kain.” He called out to the man, and as he turned himself to face him, Cassian’s right hook would connect hard against his jaw and take the man off of his feet.

Cassian’s knuckles burst and he hissed as he shook the pain from his hand before pointing at the man in warning, a deadly serious look on his face. “Don’t get fucking up.”

• Haha
A hush fell across the courtyard as Kain hit the paved stone slabs with a groan, clutching at his jaw which had made a sickening crunch on impact with Cassian's fist. Those who had been inside the library casually slipped outside to bear witness to whatever was about to happen next to the man who had just smacked down the Second to the Commander.

"What the fuck, Cassian?" Kain glared at the man as he removed his hand from the spot he had been hit to reveal an already blossoming bruise. He moved his jaw to a series of cracks; it was definitely broken it. Of course, he wouldn't listen to what he had been told and he stood to dust his robes down though he kept a wary eye on the other man. "What was that for?"

In the same courtyard were the entrance to two other important buildings and Lexi stepped down from one of them now then paused. Still in the shadows of its archway she assessed what was going on then decided to stay her hand, leaning against the brick wall instead to watch what was about to unfold. The Commander of the Forgotten stopped next to her. He was a good head taller than her but possessed a similar slender form covered in muscle. He folded his arms over his chest and leaned to murmur something in her ear. Her lips twitched a little but she made no response or move to break up the confrontation.

• Wonder
Cassian’s jaw clenched, noticing they were gathering a bit of an audience, he’d caused enough of a scene the previous night and already he was continuing with his reputation in a new city. He wanted to hit the man again and keep him down but the last thing he needed was whispers finding their way back to Lexi and landing either of them in more trouble.

He was turning to leave when the man made the mistake of asking him the question that he did. He should’ve known the reason behind it.

“Your fuckin’ mouth is the reason, brother. If I ever find out you’ve been spouting my business OR Lexi’s business about behind our backs again it’ll be more than a broken jaw and I don’t give a fuck what position you hold.” He glared at the man, waiting until he was clear that he’d got the message.

• Wonder
It took Kain a moment to figure out what he was referring too. He went to say something but seemed to think better of it, or perhaps he just realised too how many people were now gathered in a loose circle around the pair and didn't want to get into details here. Instead after a moments pause he simply inclined his head then wiped the blood from his split lip. The nod was both an apology and an acceptance of the punishment he had gotten for his troubles.

"Fair."

Lexi hummed a little to herself then decided to step into the sun and pretend like she hadn't borne witness to any of what had just transpired. Instead she gave the two a curious look but said nothing and turned back to the man at her side, held out a hand and finished her conversation in a low voice. He smiled in return and leaned down to kiss the signet ring on her finger which earned him a roll of the eyes before he straightened and began barking orders to the other Forgotten nearby about packing up and leaving.

It seemed to snap the rest of the courtyard out of their silence and it was a bustling place once more. Lexi put her hands in her pockets as she stood in the centre of it on her own and watched the Forgotten begin the long walk down the steps towards the barracks and then the exit.

Cassian huffed and nodded to the man as he seemed to accept his liability, but the scowl of rage wouldn't be washed that easily from Cassian's face. A few drops of blood left his knuckles and he glanced down at them, realising how hard he'd hit him, but he wouldn't feel guilty about it. He was glad for both their sakes that Kain hadn't reacted in the way Cassian would have, it was for that reason alone that things hadn't got any worse.

He noticed Lexi as she stepped into the courtyard and he subconsciously pulled his hands behind him and out of her view, his brow arching a little as he watched her exchange with the other commander. He spared another glance at Kain before wandering over to stand by Lexi's side to watch the Forgotten leave.. "Good meeting?..." he rumbled quietly.

• Bless
Kain made a gesture that suggested he should go and talk to her instead of him and moved aside to let him go past, staying out of range of a potential other fist to the face. Once Cassian had moved on a few others approached Kain to make sure he was actually ok, as Lexi had said nothing they seemed to all have agreed to not probe the situation.

Lexi turned slightly when she felt someone approach from behind and ran her gaze down Cassian slowly as if to see whether there were any signs he had been in another fight today aside from the one just now. She was still in the clothes she had been in earlier, which incidentally were the robes she had been travelling in the day before that. She hadn't had a chance to change but she picked at them now with a look of mild disgust.

"It could have been a lot worse," she looked up at him then followed his gaze to where the group had disappeared. "He wants our Chapters to merge - to marry in his words - like the old days. I declined but I had to give up a few things I'm not particularly happy about," a small frown marred her brow then she shook her head. "Your friend from last night took the fight humorously, it seems I am developing a fan club for men who liked to be thrown," amusement danced in her eye. "Speaking of," her eye slid from him to Kain and back. "Care to explain why my Second looks to be heading to the medic bay?"

He listened to her as he watched them and turned to arch a brow in question as she spoke of giving things up.. "It's not me is it?.." he mused with a light grin, but he laughed under his breath as she spoke of her fan club.

Cassian followed her gaze to watch Kain as he was walking off, holding his jaw and he groaned quietly. "Not particularly. But he knows he deserved it." he answered, squeezing his fist open and shut behind his back as he turned his attention back to her.

"Rose knew about us..said he told her." he frowned.. "I suppose I could've handled it better." he muttered, though he was unable to feign regret. It'd felt like a betrayal of trust, and it wasn't something he handled well.

• Popcorn
Lexi watched him as he spoke, quietly, and for a while after he had finished she said nothing to him. She was actually rather proud of him in a way; the first true Commander emotion she had had towards him because she was almost certain that if this had happened about a week ago he would have not stopped the punches coming. He had shown restraint. He had also admitted fault in how he had acted. Very slowly her lip curled up into a crooked smile. She had to go on tip toes to do it but she put a hand behind his neck and hurled him down to kiss her in the middle of the square.

If it hadn't been so public it probably would have gone a lot further but as it was she dropped back down so her feet were flat on the ground and released him.

"And now everyone knows. Do you fancy a swim?" she inclined her head slightly towards the steps.

• Love
What he'd expected was a scolding. Exhaustion, irritation, rage..anything but the reaction he'd got instead. He blinked as she gripped his neck but fell willingly into her kiss and smiled against her lips. It was slow and soft, comforting in ways that words would never be. His hand rested below her ear, his thumb caressing her cheek as their breaths mingled. His other hand wrapped around her, his fingers running down her spine, pulling her closer until there was no space left between them and she could feel the beating of his heart against her chest.

Cassian laughed quietly at her words, unable to stop his cheeks from dimpling as he looked down at her and he rubbed at the back of his neck where her hand had been. "Aye.. Seems they do." he smirked.

"A swim sounds good lass...Ent sure I've ever bathed twice in one day."

Last edited:
  • Love
"I'm not really thinking about the bathing bit," Lexi gave her own answering smirk as she drank in that boyish expression. For a moment he looked a lot younger than he was and that tenderness in the kiss? She had been expecting something more fiery and possessive - or even some sort of horror at the public display - not something soft like that. Not that it had been a bad thing, it had just merely caught her off guard. But by god those dimples were a punch to the heart, especially when they were paired with the almost timid appearance he gave off by rubbing the back of his neck just so.

"Let me just go grab a change of clothes first, then I'll show you the pools," she was aware of the hum of gossip going on around them but she didn't particularly care; people gossiped no matter what, at least they would have the right story here. She started back down the steps a little way, her suite of rooms was not far from the top of the city. As they left the gawking group behind she spared him a glance. "I'm afraid it'll be a lot harder for you to find a woman willing to bed you here after that."

• Love
His brows lifted at her smirk and he exhaled slowly through pursed lips as he looked her over as she stepped away. "Mh...Fuck." he shook his head with a grin that said he most definitely accepted the invitation. He followed and laughed at her words.. "Well, by the way I just took your second out, you might find it hard to find a man willin' to bed you either.... The women though, that migh' still be a problem, but I would consider puttin' em down too if I had to." he grinned..

"Regardless.." he paused a moment.. "What makes you think I'm interested in other women beddin' me? I've already rejected a gypsy woman, my card's already been marked lass."

• Popcorn
Lexi had a sharp retort for his comment on her finding a man to warm her bed should she want one but something made her bite her tongue. Perhaps it was his own admittance to not wanting another to grace his sheets, though it was hidden amongst another joke. She glanced to him out the corner of her eye and then slid her hands into the pockets of her breeches just to give them something to do.

"What makes you think I'm interested in someone else either?" there was no joke to her words, spoke them softly instead to ensure he knew she was sincere in her sentiment. She gave him a chance to think about what she had just said for they arrived at her building around then and she pushed the door open to her suite of rooms.

"I'll be one moment," Lexi cast him another unreadable look and then disappeared back towards the bedroom.

• Wow
She was full of surprises today, and he was finding it difficult not to look happy about them. He stared at her, as though he was searching her face for truth, or the grin that normally accompanied a sarcastic comment.. a hint of amusement..anything. But there was none of that and he had absolutely nothing to say, his mind unable to conjure any words that expressed what he thought about her words. "I.." that was it. I? Fuck me, Cassian.

He stood against her door as he watched her go to the bedroom, what was that look? He had no idea, did he follow her? Why in fuck was he this nervous? He frowned at himself and took a few strides toward the bedroom and stopped, turned back and walked to the door and changed his mind again so that in effect he was walking in circles around the room like his mind was broken.

"Fuck it." he rubbed at his face and followed her, he couldn't wait for the pools.

• Haha
Lexi glanced up when he finally entered the bedroom. She had heard him pacing outside and was wondering herself what exactly he was going to do with that information. He struck her as the type of man who didn't like commitment but she had offered him ... something of the sort. At least as much as she could give without the fear of it ending in the same way as it had with Rose. Her brows pulled together slightly at such a thought and she paused in her packing of a bag to take with her to the pools.

No, not anymore. Those thoughts would dog her no more.

Enough, Lexi. Enough now.

"Do you need anything? Towel?" she quirked a brow.