Private Tales Broken Compacts

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Órlaith chewed on her lip as she felt his thumb caress her skin, and she turned under his arm to face him with a soft sigh, lifting her hand to let her fingertips trail over the stubble of his cheek. "Sorry.. I didn't mean to wake you.." she whispered with a tired smile.

"Thank you for helping me." she whispered after a moment, still studying his face. "For showing me a better life. I wouldn't have lasted a day out here on my own.." she frowned gently. "You make me feel safe.. You make me feel a lot of things.." she gave a breathy laugh.

"But there are some things I.. that I'd like to try, in case I never get the chance.." she frowned briefly, her hazel eyes nervously searching his.

• Ctuhlu senpai
Reactions: Cal
"it's alright." Cal smiled, his hand shifting to rest on her hip, thumb softly stroking over his chin as he listened to her. In the moonlight he could just barely make out her features, the trepidation on her face, the brief frown that flickered across her lips.

"I'm glad I do." He told her softly. "I'm glad we're here."

It brought a warmth to his heart knowing that he had at least not failed in that. It seemed that his life was a cacophony of cataclysm. He seemed to move from one failure to the next. School. His service in the Military. The inquisition. His inability to save his friend.

All of them had come throughout his life, one after another. Yet this time he had succeeded just a little, and that alone was enough.

A smile touched his face as she peered up at him. "What's that?"

"Whatever it is."
He told her softly. "We'll do it."

• Cthuloo
Reactions: Órlaith
A soundless laugh fell from her lips at his apparent cluelessness of what she was suggesting. She'd been thinking about what it might be like since being skin to skin with him in the waters, since he'd first kissed her, but as always she had let fear and it had stopped her from acting on her urges. She was afraid of being inadequate, of having no idea what she was doing, of him being so physically repulsed by the idea that he'd reject her.

Órlaith leaned to draw him into a long and lingering kiss, obviously charged by a desire for more. It confirmed her decision in her mind, and she pulled back from him to slip from the bed, and to let him see her as she slowly removed the rest of her clothing. It took everything she had not to give in to the urge she had to cover herself. She stood and drew in a deep breath before crawling back into bed, finding his lips with hers, and climbing on top of him.

• Ctuhlu senpai
Dawn came far too quickly the next morning.

Cal awoke, his arms wrapped around Orlaith, her form nestled into him beneath the blankets of their now shared bed. His face was buried in her hair, the soft curls tickling his nose as he took his first breath of the dawn.

A smile touched his lips, his grip tightening ever so slightly as took her in. "Gonna be a shame to leave this bed."

Cal murmured quietly to himself.

His fingers stroked slowly over her skin, reveling in the simple joy of the touch.

• Cthuulove
The deep rumble of his voice roused her, her lips instantly curling at the words he spoke and she nodded, her shoulders rising and falling in a deep sigh. "Mhm.." she grumbled sleepily and tightened her grip on him for a moment before opening her eyes and squinting a little in the morning light.

"Well we are on our honeymoon.." she grinned, stretching out before curling back up again. "But, as much as I'd love to stay, I can't wait to be on the other side of that mountain with you." she looked up at him, a bright smile on her face.

"We'll find a bed somewhere over there, that we never have to leave if we don't want to." she smirked and nestled in against him for another little while, savouring it whilst she could as she trailed her fingers over his chest with thoughts of the night before. She bit on her lip to suppress her widening grin.

• Popcorn
He smirked at her comment of a honeymoon. That little lie had spun into something all together different now, and Cal didn't mind even in the least.

Her fingers drew over his chest, and Cal couldn't help but return the gesture in kind. His hand slowly drew down her spine, a soft touch that lead slowly down over the curve of her rear. "I'll just enjoy it while I can then."

Cal placed a soft kiss on her cheek, not keeping the grin off his own face.

"We better make that bed a bigger one than this then." He told her. "More space to lou-"

Just as he was about to finish speaking there was a knock on the door.

"'Scuse me, Sir. Thought there might be something you'd wanna know."​

It was the Innkeeper voice. Cal raised an eyebrow real quick, then kissed Orlaith and softly pressed a finger to her lips to signal that he would take care of it. Cal quickly stood up, dragging on his trousers and heading towards the door.

• Nervous
She had let herself be consumed by the happiness she felt in their little moments of bliss, but it was so fragile a thing that the second the door was knocked, fear sent a shudder across her back and caused her muscles to tighten under her skin. She looked at Cal, unable to disguise her worry.

Órlaith returned his kiss, about to protest to him going to the door at all before his finger pressed to her lips, and she pulled the sheets up around her chest as she watched him get up..

"Cal be careful.." she whispered with a furrowing brow.

• Popcorn
He nodded his head. "Always."

Cal assured her quietly with a smile, tugging on his shirt and stepping quickly over towards the door. He grasped the lock carefully, pulling it free but readying his foot in front of the door in case the man tried to force his way in.

"Yes?" Cal asked the Innkeeper.

"Lad, I don't like'n strangers more than most, but...well...This don't sit right with me. Had someone ask after you this morn, claimin ye be a criminal of some sort. Now...I'm not so sure, but I'm a pretty good judge of character and you and that wife of yours don't seem to be no criminals."

Cal tensed slightly, his lips thinning for a moment as he played the scenario over in his head.

Criminal? Not looking for Orlaith but him? Someone must have found Luther's body...maybe not even connected to her at all. Lips thinned for a moment and he nodded. "Thank you, sir. I..."

He frowned, looking at the man.

"It's her father..." The best Lies always heard an air of truth.

"Lad, you don't need to explaining just...just don't make me be wrong. You best be leavin sooner rather than later."

Cal nodded his head, closing the door as he turned back towards Orlaith.

• Nervous
Órlaith's eyes narrowed as she listened, a chill spider-walking across her spine as she considered that someone had been here asking after him. They had to get out of here, quickly and discreetly.

It was a decent lie. She had never been so good with lying, there was never much point. As the door closed she slipped from bed, tying the sheets around her chest as she faced him.

"I suppose it's not just me they're looking for.. The man from the market, perhaps?.. As kind as he was to warn us, if it was him then he knows you're here. He won't be far away." she frowned, struggling to erase the fret from her voice.

• Stressed
Cal took a deep breath as he slid the lock into place.

Almost as soon as the door closed he could see the panic float across Orlaith's face. He could see the slight jitter, hear the slow anxiety creep into her tone. For just the briefest second he took a breath, and then slowly he stepped over to her.

Arms wrapped around her, pulling her into a tight embrace. "It's alright."

So what if they had his name. His face. He had made his decision back at the Estate, he had known that eventually this would happen. What did he care if it was now or later? The important thing was her, getting over that mountain.

He didn't care what stood in the way.

"Get dressed." Cal said as he kissed her forehead. "I'll pack our things, and we'll head out."

They still had time, if only a sliver.

As he leaned down and rested his forehead against hers one thought ran through his mind. I'm going to keep you safe. No matter what."

• Cthuulove
She practically fell into that embrace, that cocoon that promised her safety and comfort, that she was nowhere near ready to leave. The fear she felt had mutated, and she wondered for a moment what would have been worse; being caught and tortured, or the pain of being taken from him. If they were caught, she'd never see him again, of that she was entirely certain. Her heart trembled at the thought and she clung onto him, tears forcing their way onto her cheeks as she closed her eyes and frowned again his chest.

Órlaith knew better than most how cruel the world could be, but it would have exceeded even her expectations should it seek to remove him from her life when she'd only just found him. She could feel his desire to protect her, not only in the way he held her and reassured her, but in his mind. Emotions spoke just as loudly as words, and she could read them well.

Hazel eyes opened again to look up at him with a firm nod. "Alright.." she sighed, holding his gaze for a moment.

She was ready quickly, waiting and listening by the door, unable to hide her worried expression. "Ready.." she sighed.

• Stressed
Cal dressed himself as he packed their things, setting food at the bottom to ensure it was protected and making sure everything else was in place so it could be comfortably carried.

Luther's weapons he set aside. The whip was tied to the side of the pack, and his knife was slipped onto the small of his back where he could reach it quickly. He did not want to hurt anyone, did not want to kill, but to protect Orlaith...to protect her he would do most everything.

A breath filled him as she told him she was ready. "Okay."

He told her as he drew himself up, picking up the pack from the floor and glancing at her with a smile.

The expression was a bit thinner, a bit smaller. She would feel his concern, that slight trickle of anxiety, yet the way he held himself up, how he looked at her denoted none of that emotion. He held himself high so she did not have to worry.

He stepped over to her, once again planting a kiss softly against her lips.

"Keep your hood up, we head on that road straight east." Cal said softly. "We don't talk to anyone and we keep moving even if someone tries to stop us, okay?"

• Cthuulove
Her fingers curled into his coat as he kissed her. There was a solidness to him, like a flood could wash over him without uprooting his feet, and she trusted that he wouldn't lead her wrong. She sighed and nodded firmly before pulling her hood up, the soft fur brushing over her cheeks.

"Okay.. I can do that." she agreed.

The innkeeper gave the pair a subtle nod and a look that mutely wished them luck as they passed through the tavern. Silently, he gestured to a wrapped parcel on the counter and winked at Órlaith. Breakfast to go. She flashed the man a bright smile in thanks before stepping outside. There was a fresh blanket of snow, barely tread upon in the early hour of the morning. She bit on her lip and glanced up and down the street.

"Perhaps I should follow in your tracks.." she suggested.. "At least until we're far enough away from the village.."

• Stressed
Cal played the thought over in his mind.

It was a good idea. They were probably looking for the two of them at this point, not a lone man and woman. It would help them blend in, help them slip by. It really was a good idea, but for some odd reason he couldn't do it.

His lips thinned and he shook his head. "No."

Cal said softly, reaching out to gently brush his fingers over her hip.

"I..." He took a breath and looked at her. "I'm not leaving your side until we get over those mountains."

Cal couldn't stand the thought that something might happen if they separated. That she would get caught, or that she would be lost out here on her own. He couldn't let it happen.

• Cthuulove
Órlaith's eyes glistened as she looked up at him, her hand drawing over his face as she gave a brief nod in response. "Alright.." she agreed with a warm smile.

"Then lets get going."

She pulled in a deep breath and sighed before stepping out into the road, and following the path that Cal had mapped out for them. It was an eerie sort of quiet in comparison to the bustle they'd heard yesterday. A day of rest for the little village after a busy market day. Órlaith kept as close to him as she could, the only sound the crunching of their hurried steps, and she remained on high alert, checking over her shoulder every few steps.

Cal's eyes were no less vigilant than Orlaith's. His head shifting, his eyes catching on anyone that might be watching them. Once he caught sight of a man in a window, peering down onto the street. He drew back when Cal saw him, but it was obvious he was there.

Yet as they passed through the village no one tried to stop them, no one came running with sword or manacles. They walked onto the main road heading West towards the mountain.

No one followed them, not that he could see behind them.

Yet in the sky, flying to the west of the village was a Raven. It's black wings extended, and a small band of parchment tied to it's leg.

Cal didn't see it, the bird too far to think it anything of significance. He only felt relief the further they got from the village, moving down the road for an hour until finally they came upon a fork with three paths. A sign of stone had been crafted in the middle of it.

Upon it sat dwarven runes, carved beautifully and with an artistry that no man could match. Below them were more crude markings, clearly added years after by the hands of a human. "No second guessing."

He said as he squeezed Orlaith's hands.

"Below the mountains we go." He turned them slowly, tugging her towards the left most fork. Wherever that path would lead.

Órlaith's hand squeezed back as she looked up at him with a firm nod. She even dared to let a hesitant smile tug at her lips. They were almost there, almost at the start of their journey through the mountain, and as far as she knew nobody had followed them. She hoped it would be easier than she anticipated, that the journey would be simple enough, that their food would last and that they would be unhindered.

The other side of the mountain felt within her grasp for the first time, and she glanced over her shoulder once more before following down the path that declined into a thick copse of snow-capped trees. The ground underfoot was rocky and uneven, even more perilous in the snow, and so they couldn't move as quickly as she wanted to. She glanced up every so often at the mountain, looming ever closer.

"Almost there.." she whispered, the sight of caves only just visible through the snow that had started to fall thicker around them.

• Devil
Cal had never thought he would come this close to the spine, had never thought he would have a reason to. Yet here he was, with the best reason anyone could have asked for.

"Almost." He said as they continued to walk, peering up towards the caverns up ahead.

Around it he could make out shapes of some sort, though he was not entirely sure what they were. They seemed like massive standing stones, yet shaped somehow. His hand came up to shield his eyes from the sun, trying to get a better look. "I think...those are statues."

Cal said with a frown.

"I'm no-" The word died on his tongue as a fell screech echoed out in the skies above. His head whipped around almost immediately, eyes scanning the air.

Three figures. Three sets of strange reptilian wings.

Panic instantly set into his heart, a shot of it running through his veins. "Run. Now. Go!"

He said as he grabbed Orlaith and started to rush forward. "Get to the cave!"

His heart thundered in his ears, fingers deftly reaching to check whip and knife were where he had put them as he broke out into a sprint with Orlaith at his side.

• Scared
Órlaith squinted at the large stone structures that stood at either side of the tunnel's entrance, her heart fluttering as she knew they'd found the right place, it had to be the way through the old mines. But as Cal's voice stopped, her heart did too, and she followed his gaze toward whatever had screeched in the skies above.

She felt the colour drain from her face as she paled, a sudden rush of nausea churning over in her stomach as fear wrapped around her throat like a firm grip of a hand, pinning her in place for a moment and robbing her of breath. If she hadn't been grabbed she wasn't sure she'd have moved at all, but suddenly she was running and she had no idea how.

She didn't stumble, not once, not with him next to her. She ran as fast as she could through the thick snow, cold wind stinging at her face.

Almost there..

Another screech..

Her heart struggled to keep up, she could feel it stumbling over and over in her chest, her muscles burning with the need to run faster than she could. The back of her neck was burning, as though a fire was struck there and blazed a slow trail down her spine. "Cal.." she let out a panicked cry, certain she wasn't going to make it.

So close.

Cal wrapped his arm tight around Orlaith, his grip on her dragging her close as he slowed his gait to match hers.

The thought of leaving her behind never entered his mind, the idea so foreign that all he could think was to keep her close. He could feel the weight of her, the fact that she was slowing down. Another screech echoed behind them, closer this time, and Cal let out a curse.

"To the side." He shouted as he suddenly pushed Orlaith behind one of the massive statues upon the side of the road.

A second later his body covered her, and then there was a thunderous crash.

The sound of shattering stone and rock echoed out as one of the flying creatures crashed into the massive statues, it's claws digging into it and forcefully breaking the stone into a thousand pieces. It toppled over, falling above Cal and Orlaith's head and missing them by inches.

Cal let out a breath. "Are you alright?"

He asked as debris swept through the air, pushed away by the stroke of wings above which swooped down.

One came in for a landing, the massive reptilian beast throwing out it's legs to perch upon the head of the fallen statue now a dozen meters away.

The snow was a cold cushion as she fell behind the statue, and she glanced up in terror as she saw the thing go hurtling toward them. She let out a quiet cry as he covered her, the ground trembled as the creature collided with stone, and she held tight onto him as she awaited the tumbling statue crushing them both.

Her eyes opened wide on the large boulder that had only just missed them, her heart in her throat and she struggled to breathe past it for a moment. "I.." she wasn't sure how to answer. She looked at him and had been reaching out to his face, but her fingers curled back as she felt another gust of wind as another of the creatures landed nearby.

"Cal.." she whispered as the creature set it's sights on them, her voice a quiver of devastation. They'd been so close, and now it seemed it was about to be torn away..

• Stressed
He reached his hand back, pulling the gnarled whip from where he had hidden it on his back and letting it lash out onto the floor.

Fingers tightened around the hilt of the weapon, eyes quickly darting between the two drake like creatures. They leaned their heads over, snarling. Upon their backs each carried armored men, both marked by the sign of the Inquisition on their chest.

Helmets covered their faces, but one of them wore a cloak over his shoulder that denoted his higher rank.

"Give up the girl and you can go!"

The man called, drawing his sword and slipping from the back of the Drake.

Cal looked down at Orlaith for a moment, then towards the two Inquisitors. His lips thinned, and he slowly reached out with his free hand and grabbed Orlaith's hand as she pulled it back. "I want you to run."

He told her quietly.

"When I move, run towards that cave. Don't look back." He slowly pulled her to his feet. "I'll be right behind you, okay?"

Slowly he looked at her, drawing her into a tight embrace. "We'll make it over that mountain. I promise."

A tear slipped silently from her lashes as she closed her eyes. Finally, they had caught up with her. Hazel eyes flicked between the two Inquisitors, and there was no question of the fear she felt. It was debilitating, stopping all logical thought in place, their eyes pinning her to the spot as though they could detect every twitch of muscle bound tightly with intent to flee. They stood there, watching and waiting for her to be handed over, but they wouldn't wait forever.

Her legs buckled under her but she remained upright as he dragged her against him, and she held on as though it would be the last time she ever could, which was after all, very likely. His words seemed to take moment to register with her however and she looked up at him "Wh-- No. I'm not leaving you here to die.." she frowned at him.

She lowered her voice so that only he might hear her, ignoring the insistent demand of the Inquisitor who'd spoken. "You run. You got me this far, you.." she cut herself off and swallowed the urge to cry. "Thank you. The last few days have been the best of my life. But I won't let you die for me, you've done more than anyone has ever done for me.." her head shook and she reached her hand to his face with a shaky smile.

• Stressed
Cal took a shallow breath.

Her words, the sound of them, they were a music all their own. They always had been, something like a sirens call. He couldn't let her die here. He couldn't let her fall and be taken by these men. He knew it in his very heart and soul.

For a few seconds Cal hesitated. A thousand thoughts running through his mind. A plan, something he could do. His breath hitched in his throat. His fingers tightened on her for a moment, his free arm wrapping around her.

He listened to her words, the feel of her hand on his face.

Then a slow peace enveloped him. "I love you."

The words spilled from his mouth without a second thought, running over his tongue and passing his lips as he suddenly turned around her and pushed her towards the cave entrance. Tugging her and forcing the movement of her feet.

"Run!" He wouldn't give her a choice.

Before she could object, before she stopped Cal he rushed forward. The whip lashed out, it's claw like side rushing forward and curling around the Inquisitor. The man tried to step away, tried to get away, but it was clear he hadn't been prepared for the attack.

The whip lashed around his throat, cutting into his armor and biting against the barest hint of his flesh as Cal ripped it back towards him.

A cry of panic left the beast beside him, the Drake shifting and moving, it's tail knocking against the Inquisitor as his partners scrambled towards Cal to stop the attack.

• Cthuulove
Órlaith's breath caught in her throat, his words wrapping themselves around her heart and stopping it in her chest. She'd never believed in such a thing as love, she'd never known it, or seen it, and so wholeheartedly believed that it couldn't possibly exist. But as he shoved her toward the cave and rushed out to face the Inquisitors, she knew that it did. He loved her.

She stumbled and stared at him as he cast his demand, and she watched on with terror as he ran at their assailants, a scream of his name that cut through the snow and seemed to echo across the looming mountain.

She took a single step back toward the cave, looking back at the entrance for a brief moment in consideration. Not without him - they either went through together or died together. There was no alternative, not now that she wasn't alone any more.

Órlaith rushed forward, lifting a large piece of rock from the debris and launching it hard toward the drake's head as it moved toward Cal. "I'm here!" she screamed out in fury, her hands flexing by her sides as she ignored the burning rune on the back of her neck.

• Stressed