Quest Blood all on the Grass

Organization specific roleplay for governments, guilds, adventure groups, or anything similar
Character Biography
Link
Blood all on the Grass

proxy.php

Featuring: Maeve Ó Ceallaigh Danny Elaria

---------------------------
Maybell's Bordello
Alliria Docks
Morning

--------------------------

Maeve felt terrible. Sat in a dark corner of the bar, nursing a hot mug of herbal tea, she tried to drown out the racket of customers coming in for their breakfast, waiting staff bustling too and fro and chefs shouting at one another from the kitchen. Last night had been a crazy affair. After Mutiny had played their gig, there was a lot of drinking, to the point Maeve could barely remember a thing. Now all she had to show for it was a pounding headache and a nearly empty purse. Dizz smirked as he ground up some herbs of his own, mixing them with a tiny pinch of mint and some tobacco. “Some of this’ll do the trick,” he said with a roguish wink. “A bit of wake and bake, clears the headache.”

Maeve narrowed her eyes at the Goblin. “Ehhh…” she sighed. She disliked smoking of any kind. “Maybe, if it was mixed in a tea.”

“Well why didn’t you say before you ordered that overpriced concoction!” Dizz exclaimed. “I could have given you some.”

Maeve shrugged. “I don’t mind this,” she said indifferently. “Maybell makes a great cup.”

The young bard looked around at the various people around the bar. “I don’t know how people can drink at this time,” she said, the thought making her head spin.

“I believe they call it Hair of the Dog,” said Dizz as he carefully put his herb mix into his smoking pipe. “I reckon we go for a walk. Some fresh air and a bit of exercise’ll cure that hangover.”

Maeve nodded and got to her feet. Dizz leaped down off his stool. It made for a peculiar sight, the two foot tall Goblin and the lady standing roughly three foot taller, as they walked towards the exit. Dizz went to go and hold the door open for Maeve when it suddenly flew open and a young man came barging in. “By the Six!” Dizz exclaimed as he was sent tumbling back. A look of devastation crept over the Goblin’s face as he dropped his pipe and its contents spilled over the floor. “That shit is expensive, man!”

“Excuse me,” the lad said hastily as he went to shoulder past the pair. “Sorry.”

Maeve grabbed him by the arm, however. “What’s the matter?” she asked, her expression one of concern more than frustration.

“Bandits have taken over my village, ma’am,” the lad said, his eyes beginning to well up with tears. “My parents, and everyone else… some have been killed, and the rest forced to be slaves.”

Maeve looked horrified. “That’s terrible,” she gasped, grabbing the young man’s hands. “Take a deep breath. Where is your village?”

The young man did as he was told, taking a deep breath to compose himself. “About a day’s trek south west of here on foot,” he said. “I managed to slip away in the early hours yesterday morning. I didn’t know what else to do, so I came looking for help.”

“You did good,” Maeve said reassuringly. “We’ll help.”

Dizz seemed a bit more forgiving about the loss of some of his precious herbs after hearing what the young lad had to say. “My gramps helped free Goblin slaves before my pops was born,” he said. “I’d be doing him a disservice if I said no to helping free other slaves, even if they’re not Goblin.”

Maeve smiled. “We’re not exactly the most capable fighters though,” she admitted. “We’re going to need some extra hands.”

“Thank you, thank you!” the young man beamed. “My name’s Justin. Unfortunately I don’t have anything to offer.”

“I’m Dizz,” the Goblin said, waving his hand dismissively. “Don’t worry about the reward.”

Maeve nodded. “You need the kind of help that can’t be bought with money,” she said. “There are some good folk around. My name’s Maeve, by the way. You two go sit down, I’ll have a word with Maybell, see what she has to say.”

“Come on,” Dizz said, gesturing to the table he and Maeve were sat at moments ago.

The young man followed the Goblin while Maeve went to the bar.

Maybell was a kindly-looking lady in her late fifties yet looking as though she had barely hit thirty. Tall and curvy, she looked able enough to handle any trouble that might occur in her establishment, had a strong air of authority about her and still managed to maintain her good looks. Maeve idolized the woman the moment she met her. “What’s the matter, hon?” Maybell asked, leaning over the bar so she could better hear Maeve talk.

“Bandits,” Maeve said darkly, gesturing back to the table where Justin and Dizz were sat talking. “That lad’s village has been overtaken.”

“No way…” Maybell gasped. “They’re getting bold nowadays. Where’s he from?”

“Uhh, a day’s journey south west of here on foot,” Maeve said uncertainly.

“Oh, I know!” Maybell said. “The village of Toumount. Mainly farmers and fishermen ‘round those parts. Usually under the jurisdiction of the City Watch, but recent troubles up North have had their resources spread thin. There’s even been a rise in criminal activity within our own walls.”

“Sounds tough,” Maeve said sympathetically. “Do you know anyone who can help down in Toumount though?”

Maybell shook her head. “Sorry, hon,” she said.

“That’s alright,” Maeve said with a sigh.

The young musician turned around and surveyed the bar as Maybell turned her attention to another customer. “What to do, what to do…” she murmured as she pondered how best she could find help.

"Reaching land soon, cap'n!" One of the sailors screamed from the top of the main mast. The waves hit against the sturdy wooden hull slowly as the sun started to glimpse over the horizon. A figure appeared on the deck, his dark leather coat filled with golden embroidery swinging wildly thanks to the winds as he walked with purpose, passing through the other sailors on the deck as they ran from place to place carrying barrels and ropes. Another man appeared on sight as well, and his figure was even more imposing, standing a few inches taller and more brutish looking than the other man.

The half-orc took out a strange and long cylinder from within his own clothes, handing it over to the man beside him, his hand already waiting for it. Danny carefully positioned the device over his right eye as he squeezed his sight, glancing at the distant horizon with his spyglass. All the way from his ship, he opened a short and savvy smile as he admired the harbour, all but waiting for them. The sun had only just started to show itself, making it a even more beautiful view as the light peered over it and Danny felt the sweetish cold morning breeze.

"Getting anxious, captain?" The brute next to him spoke, his voice deep and rough. As Danny set down the spyglass, he was surprised with the smirk coming from his quartermaster, Rhondon.

"More like confused as to why we had to come all this way to collect our reward, mate," Danny tried his hardest not to sound like a poor liar, but even as a pirate, that had always been one of his worst traits. Poor and gentle sod that he was, lying didn't exactly come naturally to him, and he had his mother to thank for that.

After all these years, he was returning to his home. His old home, at least, because that ship, the Calypso, was his home now. Still, it wouldn't beat to check in on some acquaintances from the past if he had the opportunity. Danny's initial plan was to go to Alliria, quickly get his reward and get out to the sea again, but a strange feeling was stirring up inside him, and it wasn't just the murmuring spirit clawing at his consciousness. He never knew what happened to his mother after he left, never got the chance to bury his father, even if the man's death was by Danny's own hands.

Danny closed the spyglass and delivered it back to Rhondon's hands as he turned and waved him off, approaching a very well-dressed and aged sailor with bold golden glasses.

"Take us in swiftly, Mr. Declan and see that we're well stocked by the weekend. I'm not planning on staying there long," The pirate captain explained before returning to his cabin to gather the last of his things before docking.

"Aye aye, captain," answered the ship's Master followed by a couple of quick nods. With a few shouts, he put the crew working even harder to tidy up and prepare for landing at Alliria's harbour. Almost one hour passed and the Calyso had safely docked at the city, with the crew's already fast at smiling and shouting of joy after a long and tiring trip. Even if it was for a few days, sailors loved the time to take pause and rest after those journeys, and sailing all the way from the Black Bay after securing valuable cargo through rather violent means wasn't exactly the easiest of jobs. Both the ship and its men were in need of some rest.

"Listen up, boys! Rest until the weekend and then it's resupply and prepare the ship for sailing! No immediate orders at this time, so you're free to enjoy the day. And don't get killed by angry wenches, or I'll personally haunt you in hell!" Rhondon gave out instructions from the deck as the crew started packing their stuff and splitting amongst the crowds of people going on about their business.

Danny slowly creeped upon on him, standing at his side as they looked at the last of the crew disappearing amid the lively people of Alliria.

"A few drinks wouldn't be too bad at this hour, wouldn't it?" he said with clear smug on his face, being rewarded with a low grunt from his companion, who inevitably folded to the captain's desire. At least he still knew how to be convincing.

"I know a place, just around the corner. Maybell's Bordelo," the half-orc said, already taking his leave from the ship as Danny quickly followed behind, contemplating some of the feminine looks coming his way. "Maybell's? Never heard of her."

"She's an old friend. And you did say you left the city when you were just a kid, captain," Rhondon replied and Danny took a moment of silence, pondering on the memories that slowly resurfaced. A mixture of sadness and nostalgia that already made its place on his heart as he glanced at the buildings and took in the familiar sea breeze.

A few minutes of walking later and they arrived in front of the building the quartermaster spoke of. Reveling in the thought of finally getting some quality booze, Danny rushed forward and opened the door hastily, earning a few sideways looks. As the pair stepped inside, the whispering commenced with a few of the customers already recognizing him. He even overheard one of his aliases being tossed around a circle of drinking buddies nearby.

"Maybell! Long time no see, got anything interesting for us?" Rhondon inquired to the curvy lady pouring some shots at the counter with a grim. The woman quickly greeted them as Danny looked over to the balling his eyes out next to a woman and her short companion, by the looks of it.

Slightly sipping his drink, Danny laughed him off. "Day's looking lively already, mates!"

The early morning hours always seemed to be the busiest along the docks. Fishing boats bringing in their morning catches. Loading crews running in every direction as they loaded and unloaded cargo from merchant ships. All the while traders, store owners and citizens alike searched through the wares and foods being brought in.

Elaria wasn't the biggest fan of large cities or big crowds. She did have to admit though, the sheer number of species and cultures living together like this was impressive. All around her were sights and sounds she had never imagined. Languages she had never heard mixed with the yells of stall vendors, even mixing with the screams of angry gulls above them, it was all so...loud.

After a long hike across the docks, Elaria finally pushed her way into Maybell's Bordello. She had been pointed here by the merchant she was doing business with the day before. Elaria paused momentarily in the doorway, giving the establishment a quick sweeping glance before sitting down in a corner booth. The place was almost as busy as the docks itself, but thankfully not as loud.

Hazel eyes took in the details of everyone here. From cooks and barmaids, to those arriving for breakfast and ones just now sobering up. She was a hunter, learning her surroundings and everything in it was key to success or failure. Even here in a place such as this.

Kishou knew Maybell's Bordello well. Many years ago, the foreigner was helped by Maybell when he first arrived in Alliria. He knew nothing of the land and owned nothing but what he carried. She gave him food, shelter, and even work at times. A chill went up his spine as he remembered his very brief employment in the brothel. He has long since paid his debt to her. Whenever he passes through, he attempts to at least drop in to deliver a quick hello to Maybell. Business as a mercenary often keeps him away from Alliria, with the amount of time he is away varying.

Half a year, the foreigner mused. He approaching the entrance. The familiar sight of two wood doors, hanging from the frame on bi-directional hinges was the first thing he saw. The swinging doors blocked the view into the bordello, yet one could clearly hear how lively it was despite the day being young. He smiled and pushed the doors open. He almost immediately ran into the back of an elf- a hunter by appearance- as he entered.

"Pardon," He placed a hand on the elf's shoulder, alerting her of his presence as he maneuvered around her. His Common was strangely accented, which fit his equally strange attire. Long hair, tied up behind his head. His long ponytail swayed as he moved. He wore loose garments, which flowed gracefully like his hair. Two swords, one shorter than the other, were fastened to his waist.

He moved through the bordello with haste and made his greeting to Maybell. She attracted all sorts of folks. There was something special about the older woman. After a brief exchange, the swordsman settled in an empty space at the end of the bar and nursed warm mead. He did not scan the interior but listened in on many conversations.

Maeve made her way across the bar back to Dizz and Justin, plonking herself down on an empty seat next to the young man. "Maybell doesn't know anyone who might be of help," she explained. "The City Watch supposedly have bigger fish to fry as well."

"Blimey," the Goblin murmured, shaking his head. "We don't have the money to hire anyone either."

Justin looked about ready to cry, but Maeve gave him a nudge in the ribs. "We'll work something out," she said with a warm smile. "Don't worry! Things tend to have a way of falling into place."

"Precisely," the Goblin said as he filled his pipe with a fresh mix of herbs. "Then you'll be wondering why you've been worrying at all."

Justin didn't seem so sure.

Maeve's attention was drawn to the entrance as the door suddenly flew open and a man entered, followed by a taller, more brutish looking person. The man seemed to garner a bit of attention from some of the other patrons. From the group sat at the table next to her, Maeve heard mention of a 'Scourge of the West Seas'. Maeve glanced at Justin and Dizz. "Sounds like this guy is a bit of a big deal," she said. "Either of you heard of him?"

Dizz and Justin both shrugged. "Probably one of them pirates," Dizz said. "Don't suppose he'd have been involved with the ransacking of Toumount?"

"He doesn't look like anyone who attacked my home," Justin said. "Wouldn't make sense if they were pirates either because they attacked from land."

"Hm, well in any case, it's best not to mix with pirates," Dizz said darkly. "Bunch of cutthroats and thieves."

Maeve sighed. "You're probably right," she said, noticing that the man was now looking her way while Maybell was in friendly conversation with his companion.

She turned her attention back to some of the other patrons. The bar was starting to fill up now, with some rather unique looking characters. "I'm gonna go get myself a drink," she said, getting up off her seat.

"What happened to it being too early?" Dizz scoffed.

"Of tea, you idiot!" Maeve retorted. "Do either of you want anything?"

The Goblin waved his hand dismissively. "No thanks," he said.

"I'm good too, thank you," Justin said.

"Suit yourselves," Maeve said with a smirk.

She made her way back to the bar. "Excuse me," she said to the elf she squeezed past.

She sat down a few seats across from a man with a long ponytail and waited for Maybell to finish serving the pirates. Maybell glanced over to Maeve and made a gesture to signal she'll be there in a moment. "Say Rhondon," she said, directing her attention to the tall man who, on closer inspection, appeared to be part Orc. "If you or your companion here are feeling charitable, there's a small fishing village south west of here that's been ransacked by bandits."

Maeve perked up and glanced over. Maybell gestured for her to come over. "Maeve, this is Rhondon," she said. "Quarter Master of the Calypso now, I believe, so I assume this strapping young lad is his Captain." Maybell gestured to the half orc's companion.

"Uhh, hi!" Maeve said, rubbing the back of her neck nervously as she glanced from the half orc to the man he was with. "Yeah, we're looking for help pushing some bandits out of Toumount."

She gestured back to the table Dizz and Justin were sat at. "Young lad over there came looking for help," she said. "Hasn't got anything to offer himself, but I suppose those bandits might have amassed some valuables from their pillaging."

Having been looked upon by the lady with the goblin friend and Maybell herself, one could tell that Danny was right at home, his ego inflated beyond the size of his own ship. With a long sip of his wooden cup filled with good rum, the pirate captain tried his best to hide the side smirk he had planted on his face. Not too bad for a 'quiet' morning, he mentally told himself.

His thoughts were halted after his ears caught the most amusing of opportunities arising, when Maybell started talking over to his best mate, Rhondon, about the sacking of a village nearby. Danny did love a sacking, but usually those happened at the high seas, and involved the shooting and mauling of many bad people. Maybell called over the lady that was looking at him just a few moments past. Maeve seemed to be her name.

After hearing out her old friend, Rhondon took a moment to breath and take in the proposal, before glancing over to Danny, already getting up from his chair and finishing his drink. With a dead serious face, the captain took a few steps forward, grabbing a small gold coin from a nearby table of customers who looked over at him without even understanding much of what was going on. Danny tossed the coin upwards with his finger before it fell between his hands again, and he started playing with it with quite a bit of expertise as he drew himself closer to the group.

"Bandits, you say? What do you make of this, Rhon?" He asked his trusted quartermaster. Rhondon let out a short smile, already knowing what Danny had in mind. His captain was never one to back down from a opportunity like that, even for charity. And they could use the diversion, the voyage from the Black Bay was mad dull. Weeks without sight of another ship, deserted islands and just the cheerful chanting from the crew to keep them safe from boredom.

"I would like to see this village myself, captain. I don't know if the boys are of the same mind, though..." The quartermaster replied, crossing his arms next to his buffed up chest.

"Oi, that's a good thing, then. Less shares! I was rooting for a bit of fun today, actually. The prospect of emptying some bandits' pockets is a very good one, fairs" Danny said, the coin appearing between his fingers again before he tossed it quickly against the Maeve lady.

"And you, lass? What do you hope to gain from this? Crowds roaring your name all over the city like a mad hero, ya?" The captain asked, glancing from Maeve to Maybell with a short smile, itching to extract a bit about that lady. Few people were as curious as Captain Danny, or so he liked to think.

So lost in that conversation he was that Danny even failed to notice the new strange arrivals at the bordello. An elf, clearly still not accostumed to the craziness of towns full of people and a swordsman, a man whose exterior carried hard evidence of his experience as an expert bladesman, a proper killer. If he wasn't one for such weapons, preferring his not-so-usual magical guns, Danny respected that art. He did learn a thing or two about wielding a blade, as he keeps a short one in his pockets, but he so rarely uses it, preferring his pistols even when the fight becomes too close for his liking.

And then, his head lit up like a fiery lamp. He smiled to Rhondon before walking past that table from before, this time grabbing one of the cups still filled with drink and going towards the elf who already found a quiet place at a corner.

"Hello there, lass! Feel like going on a possibly very profitable trip with us, merry pirates?!" Danny asked, his voice rising higher than the bantering chatter on the place, taking enough liberties to sit upon the elf's table. Of course, he did play with the 'profitable' part, seeing as Danny intended on taking most of the loot of that charity, but they shouldn't know about that yet.

His eyes also fell upon the newly arrived swordsman, hoping to see what kind of people he could muster up to answer the call with that little show. They could certainly use the help though, since his crew were already fast at drowning in rum and women all over town.

Laqueta sighed in annoyance as she slipped through the crowd of seamen that flooded the docks. Her recent client, some political leader, had been pleased with the recent assassination of his rival candidate. The pay was good but the motives of the greedy man had her edge. She ended up sliting his throat for fun, and what fun it was until the town mayor had been informed of her activities. The government, once again, was on her ass. She knew she had to stay low for a while until the news of the murder died down but it was rather difficult in a busy city such as Alliria. Laqueta, who had performed hundreds of assassinations and murders in Alliria, had become quite good at staying in the shadows until the government suddenly cared about all the mysterious murders. She scoffed to herself quietly.

She slipped into another narrow alleyway before turning sharping left into another crowded street. There was too much noise. Grumbling to herself, she swiftly made her way to the nearest building. Maybell's Bordello. Laqueta's walked over to an uninhabited corner of the bar and slunk into the seat. So much for getting away from the chatter.