Open Chronicles Beneath the stars

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Riekard Southbridge

The lonesome bandit
Character Biography
Link
It was a cold and clear night down by the shore of Crobbear lake and the familiar smell of smoke was filling the air. A young man was sat next to a freshly made fire with his hands out, in deep thought about the events that led him up to this. Beside him was a journal, which had an old pencil on top and pages full of life experiences. Not just him, but his mentor who passed down the book to him before his death. The thing looked quite battered and out of shape after all the adventures he had been on... a new cover would definitely be one of his top priorities.

He moved his bow and arrows to the left of him and grabbed his bag, that had a mixture of supplies being stored inside. After a few seconds of his hand blindly reaching in he felt what looked like an apple and pulled it out. Surprisingly, it still looked good to eat considering he picked it a few days back. Reikard carefully placed his bag back down before taking a big bite, looking across the vast waters of the lake ahead of him. This was the way he lived for as long as he knew, a cast away who belonged to no one. Only time would tell if he truly did, but for now he was content in living off the land and making his own way through the unforgiving life that faced him.

While the smoke found its way to the clouds, far away stars looked down upon him. Almost as if someone up there was keeping watch over him this night. Once he had consumed the tasty red apple, he took a small makeshift dagger out of his pocket and placed it on the log beside him. Reikard reached inside of his bag once more and took out a grinding stone and then began to sharpen the knife that had been with him for many years "This has always been boring..." muttered the boy in his strange accent to himself.

The waters of Crobbear lake were a welcome site as Moira distanced herself from the walls of Belgrath. The bard had been wandering for years across Epressa, performing in taverns and delighting audiences across the continent, but this show was different. Though the gig brought food to her mouth and a bed to lay in, the sight of all the empty streets in the once vibrant city troubled her, though she did not know why. Instead of contemplating her unease, Luciani resigned to follow her internal compass once more into the wilderness.

She had been traveling for quite some time and was just now looking for a place to rest. Her eyes had already adjusted to the darkness and her path was lit by stars. She was used to walking in the dark, as she was not afraid of monsters or beasts of the animal form and the gentle waves of Crobbear eased her mind, which wandered along the folds of her history.

Interrupting her musings, the cold breeze from the lake brought the scent of smoke to her face and sure enough, a fire flickered in the distance. Moira pulled out her lute. A hooded figure seems less threatening when it plays a tune and houses a young woman's voice. So she plucked and sang until she stood in front of the boy. "That's a mighty fire. Mind sharing it?"

Last edited:
For a while, the waters were quiet and peaceful. However, in the distance something that sounded like a flute was getting closer. Reikard slowly stopped his chore and turned his head in the direction of the noise, his hands slowly letting go of the knife and instead reaching for the bow.

He kept in a kneeling position and kept his bow low, not taking aim at whatever was causing the noise just yet. In due time, a cloaked figure stepped out of the darkness and made his way over to him, still continuing to play her musical instrument. Who the hell would be doing that all the way out here? whoever it was they were acting in a strange manner. The boy slowly raised his bow and pointed it at the mystery person, confused as to why they were playing such music during the night.

Once the figure spoke, it was clear the voice belonged to one of a woman. Reikard tilted his head slightly to the request of joining him by the fire and kept his bow locked on her just in case. He slowly looked around her for anyone that decided to tail, who knew what lurked in the shadows to jump out at anytime. She was an easy target to rob, but after a hard day of travelling it wasn't as tempting "Depends on the person i'm sharing with..." he said while continuing to coldly stare at her, trying to spot anything out of place "Who are you and what's your business?"

Moira took off her hood. She was a little startled by the boy's defensive attitude, but not unnerved. She chuckled at the sight of the bow, shaking her head slightly. "I'm not gonna hurt you", she said smoothly, flashing him a bewildered smile. The young woman strapped her lute to her back and extended her hand to the boy.

"The name's Moira. I'm a traveling bard. Thought I'd take a detour to the famous Crobbear Lake", she replied, humoring the boy's serious attitude. Moira had met many of his type on the road: sullen little men running from home or living off the land. She felt sorry for them, but then again, she too was a wanderer, and the heat of his fire was something to be envied.

"So can I sit down?"

The stranger took off her hood and shook her head him, almost chuckling from the sight of him aiming the bow. She said her intention was not to hurt him, but in the past many people have not stuck to their word. Not only that, she offered a perplexed smile and offered a hand of peace over to him.

Moira, the travelling bard would go on to explain herself and why she was here. This made him slowly but surely lower his bow once more and stare down to the extended hand. For now, he denied the handshake and shot a quick gaze to the fire "Yea sure..." he muttered in a silent tone before walking backwards with his stare still on her. You could never be careful around people, especially when you're in the wild lands "I insist you sit on the other side of the fire" he motioned with his free hand while sitting back down in his seat, casually keeping an eye out for anything lurking around him

"I haven't seen many bards before, especially in the wilds" the boy asked curiously as he placed his bow and arrow to the right of him, his other hand soon reaching over to grab his makeshift knife that was mid sharpened.

As instructed, Moira took a seat on the opposite side of the fire. Given that the boy had denied her handshake, the young woman surmised that he wasn't the affable type and restrained from prying. Instead, when asked about her own circumstances, Luciani offered a short explanation to satisfy his curiosity and to hopefully gain his trust.

"Most bards travel with their group. I walk alone. The silence of the wilds suits me and I have friends in many of the orc tribes", she replied while unpacking her things. From her bag emerged a small nugget sheathed in brown paper. Moira unwrapped it to reveal simple scones. "Would you like some?", she asked, gesturing towards the pastries. "The people in Belgrath gave them to me. They're quite good. I had some earlier."

He watched her go to the other side of the fire and sat down as instructed, letting Reikard grab his stone and strike it across the sharp surface of the dagger. The bards cooperation at least gave him some ease of in his doubts, yet he still had to keep his wits about him.

She was right, bards did normally travel in groups and rarely went into the wild alone. Her confidence impressed the young boy since not many people had the capacity or strength to even dare such a feat. Rekard's eyes wandered down too her bag and peeled his attention away from his knife, which he held more tighter in preparation for some kind of surprise. Although, the only surprising thing was how tasty the food looked. Moira offered him something called a scone, a particular food he had never seen or heard of before. The boy looked down to the food with a mixture of confusion and curiosity in his expression, not really knowing what to think of it.

The knife in his hand wasn't being held so tightly as he placed it on the floor, more interested in the delicacy that was presented in front of him "Well... what is it?" he questioned while hesitantly extending his hand out, waiting for her to place one in his clean palm

OOC: i dont have a bio for this guy yet so here's a quick rundown

name: high counsel leader groff
hieght: 4 foot 1
biological age:78
chronological age (years on the "earth"): 15

short bio. hes a sub race of lionmen but holds non of there ideals. basically a small lion creature that lives not too long. also hes kinda a grumpy old man
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my wound has not yet healed the throbbing pain from the blade that cut me was constant but at least the bleeding stopped. i can see myself walking through the forest its chilly but i dont feel that i cant feel anything but the pain. my people were shattered by war and lionmen don't seem to be well liked in the outside world beyond my home lands.

at least the stars were clear and the night was not as dark as the last few days, but those days were a hell march to nowhere and the march continues, i keep muttering to myself.

"im too old for this"

i just wish i was back home being a burden to the young folk that were sworn to protect me, not cold and tired and injured.

i saw the slight flash of a spark a few yards to my left, i almost missed it as i was ready to just sleep here in the fields of nowhere known to me forever.

i began walking towards were i saw the spark and could now hear voices. i stand now not far behind a boy and a woman with some sort of stringed instrument i kinda just stand and watch not wanting to startele the folk. how a hunched over old cat folk could scare anyone is beyond me but fear tends to be my most common response.

Moira gingerly placed a scone in Riekard's clean hand. "It's a scone. They're rich and full of butter. They take them with tea." The bard grinned at the boy's confused expression. It was almost as if he were a wild animal, enthralled by what most civilized people would find mundane.

Upon hearing the cat man approach the fire, Moira smiled and gestured towards the newcomer. "Looks like you've got more company." The woman waved towards the creature. Quite unusual looking, but after traveling Epressa for four years, the bard was used to encountering new species regularly.

"Ahoy there. Come to sit by the fire?"

Riekard examined the strange confectionery when it was placed in his hand, curiously turning it a few times and sniffing the food to take in its smell. The "scone" didn't taste all that bad and looked appealing enough to take a small bite at least. Hesitantly, he slowly started bringing the scone to his mouth.

Suddenly, a voice came from behind him. He dropped the scone on the log beside him and scrambled for his bow beside, quickly taking aim at the beast behind him. He was foolish enough to let his guard down, now a bleeding beast was stood before him "Wait! don't come any closure!" he barked over to him, his arm lightly pulling back on the string for precaution.

He shot a confused gaze over to Moira, who urged the beast to come sit down next to them "Let him sit?!" he said in a surprised tone, a small shake of his head soon following "How can you trust this thing? you've only just met him" he added before looking back at the lionman, his eyes flickering to the dry blood on him

the boy was immediately startled his bow drawn and ready to kill me the instant i move, but death would be quite enjoyable at this point. i look at the arrow completely unconcerned, as the woman calmly says i may join them, the boy of course was not keen on this the arrow still pointing at me.

"listen son you better kill me dead with that first shot because you wont get the chance to reload, take a lead from your woman and put the bow away, im too old, too tired and in far too much pain to teach a child the ways of manners"

i say slowly and very matter of factly, i dont know if it came across right as my common speak isnt the greatest. i pull a cloth from my pouch and violently cough into it before putting it away and clearing my throat.

"im perfectly happy to go and die somewhere else but i much rather be warm and dry for at least one of my final days on this plain, i have a few silver in my pouch i haven't any use for them as most towns wouldn't let a catfolk like me in i could pay you for you company"

i sigh and look at the boy challengingly i look him in the eyes daring him to kill me here and now, there is always honor in death no matter the state you are in when you die or at least thats what i was taught.