Private Tales Arches and Cogs

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Character Biography
Link
An engineer? Of course, why wouldn't he want an engineer there. The city was well built but their machines and technologies were outdated, so his their Aedil suggested that they bring in an outsider who knows technology. So he did, sending Arcani, literally "the secret ones" out to find a suitable candidate. And find one they did, a woman by the name of Gabrielle Selana. Gabrielle had been reported as an innovative inventor and engineer, exactly what the city of Nurum needed. So he sent a messenger to find her and offer her a probationary job, one that paid we'll, and one that she didn't have to fully except or decline until after the probationary period was over, should she choose to try it.

When she arrived she'd see a grand, white city of marble,.with tall, strong walls defended by uniformed soldiers. The buildings were tall and intricate, and largely upheld by pillars. Beautiful, but as previously stated, it was behind the times.
proxy.php

She would find a man with a horsehair blumed helmet, segmented plate armour, and a long red cape. Dimitrius Tirtii was waiting for her.

• Cheer
Reactions: Gabrielle Selana
It wasn't uncommon for the Selana family to be requested by name within Elbion or its neighboring towns and villages. What wasn't common however was for Gabby to be requested specifically. After all, her parents were notably more recognizable than she, despite her own unique talents. Still, she was never one to refuse an invitation.

Reaching Nurum took some time, but upon her arrival she was greeted to a sprawling, open city. A busy marketplace with many going about their business, an ever watchful patrol of guards to keep order, and architecture that boasted the preservation of historical values.

It was certainly a unique sight.

The description of the man she was to meet with matched that of the one a short distance away, catching her hazel eyes attention as she settled her horse and retrieved her belongings, leaving the animal behind for now.

Her clothing was unassuming, a white fitted shirt with subtle red embellishments along the sleeves, black breeches with boots that rose to just below the knee. The only likely tell that distinguished her from most anyone else were the curious goggles resting atop her head, or perhaps the metal that covered her left arm.

Dimitrius watched the woman as she came into the city and through the great forum (Roman market) of Nurum. He strode forward the greet her, his entire left side from shoulder to knee was covered by the half of his shield, which was held off to the side as to not be used, when in use, it would probably cover most of him. At his hip was a gladius sword. His red cape billowed behind him as he strode forth to meet her. When he stood in front of her, close enough for a conversation to be held with minimal difficulty, he gave a slight bow at the waist, stiff and rehearsed.

“Welcome to Nurum Lady Gabrielle. I hope that you find our fair city to be comfortable. I’ll not beat around the bush madam, I requested you here for a job, if you wish it can be a permanent one with steady income, or it can be a temporary one with income for the duration of it. We are in need of modern engineering in all fields, architecture, machinery, irrigation and for gathering materials such as ores and marble. I was hoping that you would be willing to consider this.”

• Cheer
"I thank you for the warm reception, your grace." She said with a tilt of the head.

Gabby wasn't quite familiar with their customs, but opted for one of similar respect, regardless of title. He was quite obviously a military figurehead, and judging by her surroundings, that aesthetic was well represented.

His request was certainly no small task, that much was for sure. He was looking to elevate his people from an entire age of past design to a modern one. That would require a vast amount of work on behalf of his people, even if she assisted with the design efforts and collaboration.

"I can certainly lend my expertise in certain fields you're interested in. Though I am curious, if you don't mind my asking, why the changes?"

When she called him “your grace” he chuckled, he had never been addressed as such, and he found it strange to hear. “Just call me Dimitrius.”

When asked about the changes he answered with, “we aren’t changing our ways, we are simply looking to improve them. Our style of architecture will remain the same, but what components we use or how it is done is to be improved upon. Progress is our goal, it has always been our goal, to surpass ourselves in every way, continuously, which means we need outside help. But you needn’t go straight to work, I can give you a tour of the city if you wish. We have many places of interest, and a bathhouse if you are inclined to purge yourself of the road’s woes.”

• Yay
The redhead smiled and offered a nod. "Dimitrius it is then. Most just call me Gabby, if you prefer." She listened to him explain his intentions and hopes for his city. Then, as they began to walk she nodded once more.

"A tour sounds great. I'd love to see more of your home. I take interest in seeing new things."

If Gabrielle was to assist with his wishes, it would be beneficial for her to see all of the things he had hoped for her to improve upon. The architecture was stunning, but there was always more beneath just the surface of aesthetics, and she hoped to discover that.

He nodded his understanding and said, “right this way them. You have already seen our Forum, others might call it a bazaar or market, and it on its own isnt terribly unique. Our most significant buildings are likely our temples, if you’d like to see the insides I’d be happy to show you.”

proxy.php

“Next we have our auditoria,” He says motioning over to a massive, oval building roughly six stories high, and completely composed of arches on the outside of each, statues of famous people and deities were in each one. “This is for public announcements and games. You may or may not like them as they can get eh... violent.”

proxy.php

Once they had been to the auditoria, he took her to the center of the city where she saw a large palace, likely a government building. “This is home to the dictatorio, the military governor. We can’t go inside but it is still worth seeing in my opinion. After that the only thing that’s left is the bathhouse. Not many know it, and most cultures have bathing as a private activity, but we have always seen bathing as a communal, social activity, though we do have a few smaller, more private baths for visitors who find this uncomfortable. Would you like to go?”

proxy.php

• Yay
Gabrielle was impressed by the magnitude and complexity behind the architecture of each building. Back home things were far less grand in scale. This culture was incredibly different from her own, and was quite impressive to her.

Even if the auditoria wasn't quite for her as far as the events that took place there, it was still a wonderful sight to behold, much like the rest of Nurum.

"I must say that this is unlike anything I have ever seen before. I am impressed." She smiled, before answering his question. "I appreciate the offer, though I find myself a bit modest when it comes to the thought of bathing."

• Yay
Reactions: Dimitrius Tirtius
“There are private rooms for guests. Though I can hardly blame you, most guests we have, though we don’t have many, feel the same way. Other than those things we have little to show you. Now to show you where you will stay should you choose to accept the job.” He says leading her through another street.

As they walked, she’d notice that most people wore togas, though a few, apparently lower class, people wore simple knee-length jerkins and nothing else. Some of the more important people rode in chariots pulled by horses. Impressive it may be, but vastly outdated. They passed an armorer and he only had a fire and poker for heating the metal, no billows and the space was a little small. That and he was using techniques that were inferior to the more common techniques of most blacksmiths. It was this kind of thing that would remind her that they actually did need assistance.

He took her to another building, this one was two stories high, and had a pillared and arched front, keeping the balcony and roof up over the front of it. “This is the guesthouse, should you choose to accept this as a contracted job on a more permanent basis, you’ll have a choice of permanent homes.”

• Yay
Gabby nodded, a bit relieved that there wasn't an expectation to use a public bath. That would have left her feeling rather awkward. She noted the attire of those they passed, and while it differed from that of her home in Elbion, it wasn't so different that she was shocked. Many regions had their own cultures, formal dress, and class systems. She could assume those things were present in Nurum as well.

"Very well." She said with a nod and smile. "I've never been one to turn down an opportunity for work. And for you to request myself by name it must have been reflective of at least something. I would be happy to assist you with your needs. If you would be kind enough to provide supplies for my notes, parchment and ink, I can get started by tomorrow."

• Yay
Reactions: Dimitrius Tirtius
"Parchment, ink and other such things will indeed be provided. We had intended for a scribe to be with you to keep track of your work and such." He says to her as he leads her into the guesthouse. She was given a room that, despite being old fashioned, was rather lavish. It had a couch set beside a low table with a fruit bowl and goblet with a pitcher of wine beside it. The bed had curtains and sheets of expensive and soft linen, dyed red as most things seemed to be unless they were kept white, and several feather pillows. There was access to the balcony, a doorway with curtains, again red, but no actual door. There was a dresser as well and a small hand-mirror on it.

"Tomorrow I will bring you in for an audience with the Dictatorio, and he'll give you your first general assignment." He tells her, "I hope that you will enjoy your stay."

• Yay