Open Chronicles Amothua

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Yeva

Character Biography
Link
The map was torn. Shred to pieces. Unsalvageable. Whatever scraps were left floated down the pit like last season’s snow, disappearing into the darkness with a final flutter.

Yeva watched it all, hope gone from her like a suddenly snuffed candle. In the darkness there was only the sound of a soft, despairing whine before she grit her teeth against it. Her clenched fist shook against the worn stone of the corridor.

Stupid. She’d been so stupid. How could she have fallen to such arrogance? This wasn’t some...some hovel- overgrown and forgotten in the countryside. This was Amothua. No one had braved these halls in centuries- millennia even. It took all of two hours without incident to lull her into a false sense of security and now, she’d paid the price. Her reflexes may have saved her from the shifting stone, but her map had not been granted the same privilege.

Now she was alone. Lost in this leviathan of an ancient fortress where every dark corner hid countless unknowable terrors and every overgrown root looked like the hands of the dead- coming back to exact their revenge for her daring. Fear stilled her entire body.

Inhale. Exhale. Balance. Balance. It took a long moment to calm the maelstrom of emotions that battered at her being- threatened to upend her. There was a single point of focus, the darkest parts of her mind hissing at her, telling her how little it would take to simply...fall.

Then it would be over.

But she fought that tide, overcame it and shifted away from the edge of the pit. She knew better than most that simply resisting an urge was not enough. You had to remove it, and subsequently its influence, from your life. The faster she put this behind her, the easier it would be to drag its claws from her mind. After all, she had a goal and she would not rest until she saw it through. If she were to meet her end here it would not be of her own doing.

Standing, she surveyed the hallway. There had been no indication of a trap. Only the sense that something was wrong before the stonework underneath her feet simply moved. Still, there was no alternative but to keep moving forward. There was nothing she could do about her map, but her wits were still about her. She pulled at her bag, dipped her hand and pulled out some chalk the children at the last village had given her to draw with.

Silently, she thanked them. Sent a prayer their way. May their lives be filled with nothing but enduring, lasting joy.

A flick of her wrist and the wall was marked with a reddish, flaking arrow.

Slowly, she made her way down the rest of the hallway. She had no idea what to look for in terms of traps but even her inexperienced eyes could tell the splendor of this place when it had been in its prime.

Blood Gardens. It translated, according to the woman who had gifted her the map. The lair of an Ancient King gone mad. The walls were etched in such a story and Yeva followed the carvings, running a thin hand over them.

Panel upon panel- the beginning of His ascendance- a beautiful man with a crown of and cape of roses. Men and women kneeling at his feet in reverence.

Another, the same man with thorns choking his neck- bleeding from his eyes and ears. In his arms a small lump- the stone worn away long ago, but she could see the edges of a small face. A child. Beside him, a woman- her face numb and so silent that even the stone looked chilled.

Yeva shivered- continuing down, rounding the corner, her footsteps as light and silent as ever. There was a room now, grander than any she’d been in- but strangely empty. The previous rooms had broken stone tables and chairs- remnants of life from ages past.

But there was nothing here except a looming tryptic, rendered in more horrifying detail than any of the other images- The first, a funeral. The King and his queen, silent over a grave. Suddenly, a tree over it, blooming in...roses? She couldn’t tell. And then finally,The King- eating them one by one. His face was ravenous, beastly-

“Beautiful isn’t it?”

Yeva whipped around so quickly her neck cracked. Her breath lodged in her throat like a heavy weight. There was an old man- but he was too tall. Something was not right. He was a bent and decrepit figure- wholly wrong in a way that made every instinct scream at her to fleefleeflee- but where?

Unbidden, her mouth moved. “Yes. It-it is.” Her voice shook, some kind of unseen hand moving her to speak.

It blocked where she’d come from- but there was another entrance to the west. She’d have to make a run for it-

“There used to be such beauty here.”
It said and Yeva’s ears buzzed. “But guests have dwindled and we have been so lonely. And Hungry.”

He -it- raised its head and Yeva quailed in fear. Eight eyes upon its monstrous face, slitted and yellowed with age. They sat unevenly on its flaking skin, each pupil a different shape. It raised a single hand and Yeva saw it had too many fingers, long and unnaturally knuckled.

“What’s your name, little one?”
It said, mouth moving in awkward motions. It sounded like an animal, like several dogs mimicking noises. Suddenly the unknowable terrors in the dark were preferable to...to this thing.

“Y-yeva.” She answered, stepping back. Suddenly the air between them was thick- she could feel the taste of its desires. Greedy, unnatural and murderous in its intent. It malformed, bent backwards in unholy cracks and split. The robe it wore dropped to the floor and this time and Yeva swayed in place. It had sounded like multiple animals because it had been. They’d been clutching one another to form the facsimile of a man.

Now there were seven of them, bent in the shape of dogs with the form of man, hands as legs and forepaws, tongues lolling out of slack jaws as they beheld her with an alien hunger.

“We are so, so hungry, Yeva.” They said in unison, inching ever closer. “And you look so delicious.”

Yeva screamed and her voice echoed through the halls.

• Yay
Reactions: Angharad
"that's my meal"

a deep foreboding voice echos from the dark. a large beast with the resemblance of a lion steps from the shadows.

the creature simply turns one of its heads.

"i don't remember adopting a kitty cat are you lost?"

it says in a sickening but mocking tone.

"why don't you eat something with a bit more meat you soul less creature"

you can see that the lion has wounds already.

lionman despite his already existing wounds draws his great sword with a slight wince of pain. the seven foot tall 500 pound beast looks strong enough to take on an army but its wounded badly and seems to favor the right leg instead of the left. his mind seems full of emotions they call to you they want you to feed on them just as you did in the past

"aww did one of my little play things scratch you up? that blood looks mighty tasty. i can smell your weakness and it smells divine"

lionman sneers "why don't we cut the pleasantry talk to a minimum I've been itching to kill another worthless beast"

This might serve for the night and the coming days.

Living alone had its advantages. Any place you could find, that was at the very least comfortable, would work for you. No need to worry about others tagging along, or having qualms of the place you happened to stay. However, the bad part was that you had to make camp all for yourself. Firewood, game, tent or at the very least some form of a sleeping condition. I wouldn't have to worry too much of a cover if I moved into the ruins far enough.

The Snow stuck to the soles of my brown boots. Turning them almost black from absorbing whatever form of liquid it could. Preparing for the long walk with many layers of footwear, socks, and covers prevented my feet from feeling the icy chill of the soaked boots and the howling winds that flew through the system of ruins. Having seen the place, I did what I could to find smaller kindling as well as proper logs about the thickness of my forearm. Scounging up some broken bricks, and rocks to create a ring, I hastily started cutting wood with the tools I had. A rather large knife, some considered to be a "Long-knife".

It was simple. Doing what I could with the force of my own hand through the middle of the log, and using a second log to drive the mass down upon the portion of the blade that stuck out from the log currently being chopped. Doing this time and time again to hopefully get to the center where dry wood would be at. I took my time to cut through the wood. I had whatever remained of daylight to get it ready. However, I had to stop.

Crawling sounds echoed ever so slightly. Something was moving. Something was... speaking? A tilt of the head in the direction of the sounds that echoed through the ever darkening tunnel system. Curious as to what it may be, I wiped the longknife of any debris from the wood chopping, and stood up. Brushing myself off before entering deeper into the darkness.

I attempted to walk upon the balls of my feet. Softly padding down onto the paved floor. Remains of thrushes lay in the corners. Yet webs from spiders had been disturbed. Something had come through here. Not long ago either. The webs still flung and continuing to flap within the draft entering the tunnels. Keeping my hand firmly upon the grip of my knife, I closed the distance inwards. Hearing voices slowly becoming louder as I came closer. Voices of someone, or something being hungry. Followed with a high pitched voice. Shaky, and disturbed. The shaky voice was afraid of something. I could start to make out more of the words. as I drew closer. Keeping my body low and almost upon all fours to lessen the sounds of movement I may have made.

A name spoken with a stutter, I could not quite make it out. However, the slithering voices of hunger and finding someone, delicious. I mouthed to myself. "What the Hell" as I drew in ever so closer. Another voice speaking up. Proud, loud, and attempting to be in charge. I shook my head ever so slightly in the darkness I enveloped myself in. Whatever creatures here were clearly hungry and wanted a feast. Whoever this being was, hinted at being some kind of Feline being, wanted to fight back. Hearing the audible wince as well the singing of a blade being removed from it's home.

Slowly, I used the long knife in my hand, and brought the blade to my arm. Cutting deep within my offhand arm. I could feel the blood as it started to run down my arm. Letting it reach my fingers, I began to quite literally, paint with my own life force. A circle formed on the floor ever so slowly to not alert anyone. The sting of pain as more blood flowed from my arm. I continued to make one, two, three symbols around the circle.

I was preparing to attack from behind once the large feline had made his move. Hoping that his proud and boisterous attitude drew the attention of the beasts within.

lionman Yeva

lionman can feel his strength being weakened he takes a single swing at the beast and almost misses the weight of the sword is too much for him at this point. the creature shrieks and steps back looking at one of the now severed heads. lionman falls to the ground. he trys to stand and falls once more.

"small furrless creature if your done lurking in the shadows i could use some help with this thing while i lick my wounds"

he says to the figure that had been approaching him silently. he had smelled him but didnt have time to discern weather he was friend or foe. he felt he was taking a risk but death to his people is not feared and he figured if the furrless folk wanted him dead then this was the time to do it