Fable - Ask A Wisp of Shadows

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first
|| Cillian ||

The longer that Cillian spun his tale, that hypnotic brogue weaving a spider silk net of intrigue, the larger Cadwyn's eyes would get until they were as large as saucers in alarm. Only at the end of the tale did they then dip at the corners in melancholy and compassion.

"That is such a sad tale,"
she admitted, giving Frau Frau's head a soft rub, the tiny hairs of her coat tickling the fae's palm.

"Why would he want others to suffer too? Why not let them enjoy their happiness?" men were odd creatures. Then again, Fae were just as equally as fickle and could be spiteful. A wrong may be paid tenfold.

For Cadwyn, the follies and flaws of humans were a complex object to make out of. This was her first foray in understanding them a little.

• Bless
Reactions: Cillian
"When you lose a loved one all sanity leaves yiz, 'tis only tae strong who are able to keep on goin'," there was a touch of sadness in Cilli's own voice as he spoke. He wouldn't count himself amongst the 'strong'. He had run when his brother and father had died. He had left his mother, his home, everything else he knew because he had been too weak to pass by their graves every day. "There is a sayin' amongst tae humans; misery loves company. Perhaps tae King felt as though everyone should suffer as he did so they might understand him better, maybe he would feel less alone if they could share his pain."

Cillian often wondered if that was why he had left. To punish himself when nobody else would.

"Besides, tae loss of a child. T'aint natural. Tis even worse than losing ye brother or your father," he had seen mothers carry around their children's lifeless bodies days after they had died, unable to comprehend what had happened. It was a haunting sight and a mothers cry for her lost child was a sound that still haunted him at times.

• Cry
Reactions: Cadwyn
|| Cillian ||

This bit of information left the tiny fae to contemplate such a series of sad events and emotions. As Cillian did his best to explain, Cadwyn would pick up on the touch of melancholy in his lovely voice.

Taking flight, she charted a path over towards the rugged-looking Leprechaun until she was able to perch upon his shoulder. There she sat, giving his shoulder a comforting pat.

"It will be hard on anyone to lose someone." she agreed, deep in contemplation. A thought came to her, "We don't really die. We just become part of the forest. We are still there, somewhere. Never really gone."

Perhaps for others, it was different.

"Do you have a family?"
she inquired, equally curious as she was contemplative about Leprechauns. How were they different from her kind? It was so very interesting.

• Thoughtful
Despite the lingering mood of melancholy, Cilli couldn't help but smile at the little pat on his shoulder. She was a sweet thing, this Fae he had met in the darkest parts of the Falwood. It made it a little easier with her pretty colours filling the corner of his vision to think about people he had tried to push out of his mind for centuries.

"Aye, at least, I think I do. I don' know if any o' 'em are still alive," he stroked his hand down his beard. It would have taken another invasion or battle to have killed off more of his kind in the manner he had lost his father and brother, but his mother might very well die of a broken heart. "I 'ad a sister an' a mother when I left my homelands. I lost my brother an' father but in a war many, many years ago. Tis why I left. What about you, a big family?"

• Cry
|| Cillian ||

"Do you ever want to go visit and see if they are doing okay?" Cadwyn inquired, canting her head to the right in curiosity. She continued her gentle pat of Cillian's shoulder, only to then lift her fingers up for her fore and pointer to do a soft, idle walk in a little circle.

As for her own family, she indicated, "I live with my grandmother." she told him, giving a little frown. "I do not remember my parents. Nana told me they passed into the forest long ago."

For Cadwyn, time was measured a little differently, which made it along with distance a little harder to explain to her.

"How long will it take to go back and visit your family?"

• Popcorn
It took the leprechaun a bit of time to mull over her question.

His oddly light coloured eyes, the colour of a sun dappled forest floor in early spring, stared ahead at something that wasn't there. His brows pulled down after a moment and threw his eyes into darker pits where murky, sad thoughts swam and festered. He had thought often about going home - too often at times - but he had never made the trip. Never got himself a boat and sailed out to the Isles where people were too afraid to go.

"I'm sorry tae hear 'bout yer parents lassie," he blinked and suddenly the storm clouds retreated. "T'would take me quite a few months from 'ere to get back home tae where I'm from, longer still if me family 'ave since moved. It's very rare for my kind tae sit still, we like to be busy."

• Wonder
Cillian

It seemed that both were now mirroring each other's feelings when it came to thinking about family. Cadwyn gave Cillian's shoulder another comforting pat.

"Does that mean you may not see another Leprachan for a long while?" That was such a peculiar thought for the tiny fae. Her entire life had revolved around her kind and being around them. Suddenly not being able to meet up or see another brought such a ball of fright to the pit of her stomach. Her wings sped up in their fluttering with her tumulous thoughts.

The pair were making their way along the road, seemingly empty. Off ahead, there would be a sign that would indicate the direction of two major towns. One towards Vel'Anir, while the other pointed towards Al'deria, a smaller town of about less than a few hundred people. It was a human town that saw some traffic from trade. Beyond that would be another route that would lead towards the northern forests. That first ravine would be near there.

• Love
"Aye," Cilli smiled despite the sadness. "But, in a way, I kinda prefer it," it was a hard thing to explain but there were less pressures now he was on his own. He didn't have to worry about wider social connotations or problems. He only had to think about himself and it was quite Liberating. He thought of how he could explain it to her. As they came up to the fork in the roar Cillian checked the map and then turned them on towards the Northern forest. It definitely would not pay for either of them to be found near Vel'Anir; the Dreadlords city might currently be at peace with the Falwood but that didn't meant heir hatred of other peoples was gone.

"My family... my kind, we 'ave a lotta rules ye see. Now I'm away I have a lot more freedom - I get tae see the world and that's... that's what I've always wanted to do."

• Wonder
Cillian

Marvel shone within the depths of the tiny fae's eyes. Plopping down cross-legged, she inquired with avid curiosity, "Rules? What kind of rules?"

Were they not able to eat cake? Or did they have to go to sleep at a particular time? It was all so exciting and peculiar to Cadwyn.

With a small wave of her hand, the Fae brought her attention back to the braid in Cillian's hair. This one would soon have a bright green ribbon woven along with the plaits. He had such soft hair, the coil in her hands as thick as her wrist!

A half muse wondered how long it would take to braid all of his hair with pretty, ribbon plaits. Oh! Maybe little cuffs of gold and silver leaf? That would be pretty too.

• Thoughtful
There were rules which governed all Fae. Hospitality, the laws surrounding ones true name, the importance of gifts. Then there were subtle nuances which every race had, little slants or ways you could insult one, rules they used to govern their own peculiar magics to. Leprechauns were no different especially when their magic revolved so pointedly around wishes.

"Well, there's rules about tae wishes for a start. I cannae truly bring people back from tae dead, there's always something wrong wit 'em, then I cannae make someone fall in love - that kinda wish ends up like tat Princess I told ye about. But we leprechauns 'ave rules we live by too. Like, no' bringing strangers back to the isle, or not eating rabbits feet, or leave the isle..." the rule he had broken in order to get away.

• Dab
Cillian

That made sense. There were the five rules that Cadwyn knew about. Those were etched in blood and stone. She had heard that to try anything outside those bounds would cause great calamity. However, the ones about not eating rabbit's feet?...

"But you left the Isle!" she exclaimed, suddenly realizing what that meant. Panic would dance across her tiny face, her hair and glow influenced by her emotions, shining a brighter blue. Would he be in trouble? Would something happen to him now?

"Will you be okay? Do we need to hide you?! I know a good place by the ravine" she told him, urgency in her voice. They had to get back home right away now! Nevermind adventure!

• Bless
Cillian chuckled at her sudden panic; it had been a while since anyone had cared even an ounce for what happened to him. He was used to being on his own now. Time had kept on turning, years giving way to centuries to millennia now since he had been home or seen another of his kind. It was something he had come to be at peace with.

"No lass, tae only trouble I'll be in is if I try tae go back. Once ye leave you cannae go back," unless he was called home, which he doubted would ever happen. "Thank you, though," he added in a softer voice, turning to glance towards the little woman who perched upon his shoulder and showed such warmth towards him. His lopsided smile dimpled one cheek and he turned his eyes back towards the road ahead.

Cilli stretched out and settled the reins in his lap, the gypsy cob was far happier now she was on known paths and he didn't need to keep all his attention on the road ahead.

"It were time for me tae go and I ain't regretted it one moment."

• Cheer
Cillian

"Oh," Cadwyn replied, the panic fading from her body just as quickly as it came. It wasn't that she was fickle in her emotions; it is just that they rose and went as quickly through her body as quickly as she could move. Her wings gave a suddenly perk, happily fluttering with a spray of delicate, jubilant magic at that her newfound friend wouldn't be in trouble.

That is until he mentioned that he couldn't go back.

A sudden gasp and her eyes went wide, "Why can't you go back? Is it the same for bringing strangers to the isle? Do they just not like anyone leaving?" the thought brought a wave of curiosity and confusion. Then again, simply being out of the ravine herself meant that this was one whole big adventure. No one ever left the ravine. It was all she knew. They all just stayed happily where they were, tending the vines, making sure the plants grew, played, danced, and frolicked as the innate magic that had created them would rise and fall all around.

The fact that he didn't regret it was telling. Hmm, the big bad toad person was the mean one that plucked her from her home. Sure, maybe it was her own fault for wandering too far when she saw a shiny. But still... maybe... maybe this was a way for her to finally have a great adventure! Like the stories of old! Oh, that would be so much fun!

Giddily, she followed up with, "Do you not regret it because you were able to have a great adventure?"

• Popcorn
Birds sung as they dipped and dived about their heads, playing some intricate personal game Cillian always wondered the rules for. He watched them with a lazy smile as two bright blue birds with green breasts twirled around one another up into the canopy above. Even when they were out of view their song still drifted down to them. Cilli couldn't help but feel happy despite the topic of his home. In fact, if anything, it was nice to talk about it with someone else. It was rare he spoke to one of his own kind and he couldn't really talk about it with anyone else.

"Aye, that is a part of it yes lassie," he would definitely be treated differently if he went back home if he wasn't kicked out straight away. "My people have been shut away from tae world for a long time, they dinnae want others to know we exist or where we come from, so they dinnae want us tae come n'go as we please. But it's also just hard to find the isle, it sorta.... moves."

• Wonder
Reactions: Malachi
Cillian

It was about this time that Cadwyn came to the very tips of Cillian's hair, finishing up the braid. The length of his hair here was sunbleached, a lighter hue, almost a deep, burnished, antique copper. It was so very pretty. Delicately, she used a bit of that green ribbon she'd wrapped herself around with earlier to tie it.

Yet, once again, the Leprechaun was able to charm her with a tease of a tale. He had quite a knack at storytelling, and sure enough, the tiny Fae practically glittered with anticipation and glee.

"It moves?!!" she breathed out expectantly, the gold flecks amid her blue eyes aglow in delight. "How?! Why?" she was so very eager to hear more, the girl leaping from his shoulder to flutter in an excited arch in front of him.

"Is it magic?! Does it fly? Is it playing hide-and-seek?!"
so many questions. They were practically bursting from her tiny body with such charming energy.

• Bless
Cillian couldn't help the chuckle. He did love to spin a yarn and with such a brilliant audience, he was finding himself enjoying it all the more. Oh but the story of the Leprechaun island was a good one and not one that many people knew the real truth of. He would have never told a human this of course but a fellow fae? Well, at least she would believe it.

"Long ago there were these large great animals that carried parts of the world on their backs. O'er the years they were hunted or they left these shores, but a few remain. It were one of these creatures that offered tae Leprechauns sanctuary on their shells and let us live there in peace. So, tis hard tae find ya see because tae thing likes to swim all o'er the place. One moment he could be down 'ere by the Falwood, other times he could be right up in the frozen seas. Tae only way I'll be able tae find my way home is luck," he touched the penny at his throat.

"Or if I'm called."

• Wonder
Cillian

Every word Cillian wove with his enthralling, accented voice made Cadwyn’s eyes grow larger and larger. The idea - no - the mere thought that there was a massive creature that carried parts of the world on their back was enough to plop the Fae right on top of FrauFrau’s back with dramatic flair, a light dusting of glittering magic floating in her wake.

However, the sheer size of the scale didn’t compute. She didn’t know what a sea was or an ocean. Not even a pond or a lake. Her life had revolved around the ravine she called home.

So for her, she imagined that perhaps Cillian and his home shrunk down and floated down the river. That is what made her so excited with awe. Had she seen one before? How did they look like?!!

“So you can become tiny too as this creature goes down the river?!”

• Haha
Cillian's laugh this time was a great rumbling thing that travelled right up from the pits of his belly. He even put a hand on his chest as he struggled to recatch his breath at the idea of his home being able to fit up a river.

"No these things are..." he paused, struggling to quite figure out the right way to explain it to someone who had not seen much of the world. "Here," he motioned to the map which he laid out again. "This is a drawing of the whole world, and this tiny little spot here is where we are right now. This little tiny circle here is the ravine, this is the forest where the ravine sits, and this is the continent is sits on," he made progressively bigger circles on the map to show her, glancing up every now and then. "Now, one o' these things is about this size," he drew a relatively large circle, the size of one of the islands just off the falwood. "So ye see it wouldna' fit up tae river."

Cillian

His laugh was captivating. Enthralling. Like the deep, rumbling sounds of a distant storm, with the electric thrill of a flash of lightning. It made Cadwyn all sorts of giddy, his amusement billowing over her, eliciting a shimmer of a glow that mirrored Cillian’a joy.

However, as soon as Cillian unrolled the map again, Cadwyn had flown up from FrauFrau’s back, the horse barely flicking her ears in interest. The ball of excited blue light hovered over the blunt, tanned finger, following the consecutive circles the pad of that finger made, dawning realization hitting her.

“I-it’s bigger than the river?” The incredulity in her voice made it hitch at a higher octave at the end. Funny that it was the immense size of the world that Cillian was describing to her that made Cadwyn faint at the prospect rather than his homeland was on the the shell of a swimming creature. Her eyes were as big as saucers, and even as tiny as she was, barely able to fit in the palm of his hand, there was no missing the glint of gold flecks in the deep blue of her eyes. Her flame like hair gave a sway, and she panned her head towards the rugged man, her full mouth a soft ‘o’ of astonishment and surprise.

“The world is that big?!” Her melorodcvoice was but a whisper coated in awe, those delicate, crystal clear wings quivering as they shed a dusting of magic.

• Bless
"Mhm," as he nodded the braid she had done swung down and grazed over his cheek. He had felt her doing something to his hair earlier but he blinked as he realised what it was exactly she had been doing. A smile flirted with his lips and he ran a finger over it slowly. It distracted him for a moment or two as he thought of how once it had been his sister who had braided his hair in such a manner. His brother had never been able to sit still long enough to let her do it but Cillian hadn't minded.

He cleared his throat a little and returned his attention to the map.

"Ye see tis tiny lil blue line? That's tae river, to put it into perspective. It would take us days ta walk from one end of the Falwood to t'other, let alone getting from o'er here to o'er there," he pointed from the Forbidden city all the way across to the Wilds.

• Love
|| Cillian ||

"That's the river?" Cadwyn came down on all fours, her glowing body shining a pale blew sphere along the map where the Leprechaun traced the blue line.

"But... it is supposed to be larger than me!" for the tiny Fae, a river would seem as vast as a lake. It was starting to fall into place for Cadwyn that the world was much, much larger than she first anticipated. This was all starting to become one great adventure.

If this was just one river... Cadwyn thought, looking at the mass of other blue wiggly lines that were likely other rivers too.

"...then... home is really far away?" alarm now really grew over her face, turning those gold-flecked blue eyes over to Cillian.

• Cry
"Aye..." he hadn't wanted to say anything when she had only just been released from her iron cell but he supposed it was getting to the point he could lie no longer.

"Aye lass, we 'ave a way to go yet but it shouldn't take longer than two days. FrauFrau is a good lass, she'll see us through," he tried to sound as reassuring as he possibly could but he would understand if it upset and unnerved her. He watched her for a moment then turned back to the map in an effort to provide her a little bit of comfort; perhaps if she could see where they had to go then it would help her know every few seconds brought them closer to her home.

"So we are 'ere right now, 'n' what ye described to me, 'bout yer home, I think your home might be here," he tapped both spots on the map with two fingers so she could see the distance between them. "This should take us two days, so we'll camp tonight then hopefully, by tomorrow evenin' we'll arrive."

• Love
|| Cillian ||

Cadwyn's wings gave a distinct, questioning flutter, their beats a thoughtful resonance at Cillian's words. There was no reason not to believe him. He had saved her life from the bullying toad man and certain death. Gullible and naive she may be, but when she placed her trust, she did it wholeheartedly with the same childlike trust as a child.

"Okay," she replied, taking a deep breath and then shining a wide smile up at the Leprechaun. "But this is my first adventure! A grand story to tell! My very own," a new cheer made the tiny Fae glimmer with delight.

"One you can tell to someone else and say how Cadwyn discovered the big world!" she grinned, darting back up from the map to flutter and fly all about Cillian's head.

"What was your first adventure?" she asked, deciding to sail over to FrauFrau. There she sat down upon her back again, as if she was the tiny Fae's mighty steed!

• Cheer
Cillian wondered what it would be like if he glowed like Cadwyn did. Aside from the natural difficulties in hiding what he was, he supposed, but to have his emotions so openly showed amongst his own kind - what would that have been like? Would it have made it easier to talk about the grief he felt when he wore it as plainly as a sign around his neck?

Then there was just a part of him that wondered what he would look like if he shimmered pink.

"I think that's a good way tae look at it lassie," Cilli gave the little fae a warm smile that dimpled his cheeks and crinkled the corners of his eyes. The smile only grew when she asked her next question and he threw her a cheeky wink before glancing to the road ahead and speaking as though it were no big deal. "Oh, ye know, tae usual. I went hunting dragons."

• Wonder
|| Cillian ||

Once again, the Leprechaun managed to utterly shock the smaller Fae, prompting her to turn from her present perch upon FrauFrau's back towards Cillian. Her gold-flecked blue eyes went wide and her tiny hands would cover her mouth to hold back the gasp.

It didn't work.

"Dragons!!? You went hunting dragons?!" she cried in overwhelming excitement, darting up and off from Frau Frau's back over towards Cillian's head again. There it was again. The thrum of energy and excitement that resulted in Cadwyn's tiny body reflecting a kaleidoscope of colors, each one radiating and pulsing with her glee.

"Where? How big? Did you get one? How did you find them?" it would be hard to find another rapt audience as the tiny Fae, who fluttered and darted from one side of Cillian's head to the next.

• Popcorn