Completed A Plea For Help

Bronmaen Greatbelt

Master
Character Biography
Link
Darking, Second Annenday, Peridot, 369, Dwarven Calendar
The Fire & Stone Tavern, Outer City, Alliria
This is the Fire and Stone Tavern, not another dull hangout in a nameless province. This place lay in the outer city of Alliria, at the very center of both Epressa and Liadain. It is but another span of time between the challenges of true adventuring for one such as you. That is what drew you here, now seated in some dark corner or otherwise occupied within these walls. This place is like the crossroads of adventure.

proxy.php

Outside the tavern, a fog lies over the town this evening. The damp, cobbled pavement glistens as the lights of street lanterns dance across the slick stones. The fog chills the bones and shivers the soul of anyone outside . Yet inside these tavern walls the food is hearty, and the ale is warm and frothy. A fire blazes in the hearth, and the tavern is alive with the tumbling voices of country folk.

Suddenly, the main door swings open, and riotous merry making does quiet slightly as some turn to look. Framed by the lamp-lit fog, a form strides through the doorway. Her light footfalls pad across the floor, trailed by the jingling of many small silver bells strung along her waist. The rattle of coins upon the bar top causes a palatable hush to fall over the place.

Her brightly colored clothes are draped in loose folds about her, and her hat hangs askew, hiding her eyes in shadows. The dwarf, Bron stands behind the counter tending it. You know him well enough and know he owns this establishment. He eyes her suspiciously for a moment and then she speaks.

"I've come seeking those with honor and valiant hearts," she says in a heavy accent, clearly not from around here. Then she hesitates, looks around for a moment, and pushes the coin purse forward to the dwarf. Then she calls out so that all may hear. "Fill the glasses, one and all. Their throats are obviously parched!" A roaring cheer goes up and the merry making continues.

Last edited:
She sat upon one of the bar stools, crammed between two seaman. One was busy with the drink she just paid for and the other with a girl. "You seem to know a great deal dwarf. My village is in need of help. Do you not know anyone that could save us? There may be coin involved."

Bronmaen was quiet busy pouring the drinks she had just purchased for everyone. "Half-elf? Coin you say?" He asked as he continued to work. She nodded though he was unsure which question she was answering. The first, on her lineage was a hypothetical anyway and made in response to her calling him 'dwarf'. It was her ears that gave it away. "Maybe. It depends on how much coin you're talking about. What village?"

"Kinallen," she replied. Bron looked confused and spoke. "I've not heard of a village or town called that."

Last edited:
Edmund entered the tavern once he first made it to Alliria. The journey was long. Too long. And Edmund was in great need of a drink. He'd been to Alliria a few times before now, all of which were for petty business he didn't care much for. This job was no different.

Bron must have been familiar with Edmund's face by now. Or at least his helmet. The knight twisted the hunk of metal off his head and ran his hands through his hair a few times to urge it to lay flat. Setting the helmet on a table in the corner of the tavern, Edmund stalked over to the counter.

"A drink, please," he hummed, his voice low. The dwarvish man handed him a curved mug filled to the brim with cider. Edmund was sure to take a sip before heading back to his table. The lukewarm liquid immediately seemed to calm him as he slunk into his chair, leaning his head back on the wall and setting his mug down abruptly. The natural chatter which filled the room calmed him, until it quieted. The sound of footsteps interrupted the air and when the knight glanced over, a woman decorated in bells glided across the floor.

She called for more drinks and Edmund smiled internally, too weary to even twitch his lips. Yet the woman intrigued him. He listened.

The woman needed help. And she payed. Edmund wanted to know more and his petty business could definitely be put on hold. He quickly downed the remainder of his drink and stood, moving back to the counter. He pushed his mug toward Bron.

"I'll have another."

The dwarf did indeed know Edmund's face but his name had likely slipped his mind. Either way the woman had paid for his drink. He wouldn't have to recall a tab. Bron gave a nod and poured Edmund's refill while speaking to the lady. "Where is this Kinallen located?"

She withdrew a sealed letter and placed it on the counter top and then did the same with her wide-brimmed hat. "The village of Kinallen lay to the northeast. Godelier's Road runs through it." The dwarf was stroking his beard. The crimson wax seal of the letter remained unbroken. The seal resembled a raven with wings outstretched. As Bronmaen examined the letter without opening it the woman's dark eyes found Edmund's face. "You have the look of an accomplished warrior."

"You mean the Gold Road. Those that make northeast in the direction of Belgrath no longer call it Godelier's Road. How many days travel is this town?" Asked the dwarf. She spoke without looking away from Edmund and the edges of her crimson lips curled up as she answered the tavern owner. "About three days hard ride." The dwarf continued to stroke his beard, in deep thought. "Everything is explained in this letter," she said with her heavily accented voice without looking away from Edmund.

Edmund Adelard

Last edited:
The woman was staring at him, her eyes burning holes into his head. She was asking for him to do this job, there was no doubt, and Edmund was obviously interested. Three days wasn't much considering he had come from Elbion and despite the vast amount of the world he had travelled, the knight had never even heard of Kinallen.

"I would say I'm accomplished," he told the woman, "Perhaps too accomplished."

He took a swig of his cider and glared at the letter in Bron's hand. Adventure is what kept him living, and he was desperate to know what was encased in the envelope. Maybe goblins had overrun the village, or even better, a dragon. Whatever it may be, it was new and that excited Edmund.

He set the mug on the counter, "What does it say?"

• Yay
Reactions: Bronmaen Greatbelt
The frigid air cut through every crevice of Aegand's cloak. He shivered with teeth vaguely gritting in protest as he pulled the cloak's tattered hood over his ears. He barely touched his ale, fearing any bodily consequences he might be afflicted with once he decided to take a gulp. Such drinks were rarities from the monastery, although its source have been a common subject among the local folk of Fal'Addas. Regardless, anything common between localities would certainly be something that the Monks would prohibit.

The loud and distinct chatter from the other side of the table caught his attention. The pub wasn't particularly unruly, at least not anymore after an unlikely woman joined the mob. Aegand paid no attention at first but he was all eyes and ears upon having a village mentioned in one of her conversations with another party. He carefully leaned forward, gradually moving his stool in a slow attempt of closing the distance between him and the people he was now keenly observing.

He let himself listen for a while, obtaining as much information from their exchanged chatter.

Yes, He said to himself with little thought, nodding as he quickly jumped into speculative conclusions about his assignments. He assumed it was THE village, the place where the monastery had appointed him to investigate. Whether it was or wasn't, he would find out eventually.

Momentarily, he approached the party which seemed to include a dwarf and a man. One of them was given a letter of some kind, perhaps an incentive from the woman? Perhaps, but it would be best to interact to uncover what has been imparted. Aegand wasn't especially good at setting up company, however.

"Greetings!" He waved his hands awkwardly as he faced them. A slight nudge of his gaze found its way towards the woman but most of his attention were focused down to the dwarf and the man. "If this is an adventure we speak, I can be of service."

• Yay
Reactions: Bronmaen Greatbelt
The dwarf pulls a very sharp looking knife with a horn handle from behind the counter and strips the wax seal off the paper without ruining it. He unfolds the letter and looks at it moment. One of his bushy brown eyebrows perks, apparently surprised that it's written in a language that he can read. It was about this moment that Aegand walked up and the woman's eyes turned to greet him.

The dwarf starts to read aloud. "Hail to thee of might and valor. I, a lowly servant of Avaiciston, send honor to thee. We plead for thy desperately needed assistance. The love of my life, Iva Shila, has been afflicted by an evil so deadly that even the good people of our village cannot protect her. She languishes from her wound, and I would have her saved from this menace. There is much wealth in this community. I offer all that might be had to thee and thy fellows if thou shalt but answer my desperate plea. Come quickly, for her time is at hand. All that I have shall be thine." The dwarf pauses but a moment. "It is signed, Crelbuvi Shila. Apparently he or she is a magistrate of this place?"

proxy.php

Bronmaen frowns but says nothing more. He puts the letter on the counter for the others to inspect. He replaces the knife and is pulled away by other customer's requests. The woman looks to each of the men in turn and then speaks. "He, Crelbuvi Shila is the magistrate of the village, Kinallen. Avaiciston is the barony in which the city resides." She folds her hands in front of her, her eyes moving between them both and her look as if to ask, 'Will you help us?'

Aegand | Edmund Adelard

OOC Notes: The fire-stone-tavern can once more be found in the discord under the roleplay_event_rooms section. Feel free to use this location to ask questions and coordinate with your fellow authors.

Last edited:
"I suppose I'll go," Edmund responded. This quest would hopefully be a challenge and there would be good pay. "Suppose" was a soft word. Hearing that Kinallen, a village he had never heard mention of, would be the destination was enough to peak his interest.

He looked to the man next to him. What appeared to be a scar under his eye intrigued him. He must have been slightly younger than Edmund and was nearly a head shorter too. The knight was curious where he came from and what his reason for being here was, but Edmund put the thought aside in exchange for a swig of his cider. His mug was nearly empty again.

He leaned back against the counter, eying his helmet from the table he left, relieved to see no one had stolen it or the sword which lay against his chair. Edmund finished his cider and set the mug on the counter.

"I'm in need of an interesting job, something different, and your request seems to suit the role," he began, indulging in conversation that was unnecessary was rare coming from him. "I assume you will be joining?" The question was directed at the stranger.

The man left a strange feeling in Edmund's gut, an instinct he had picked up from years of not knowing who to trust. The stranger's speech was intelligent as the knight hadn't talked to someone who began a conversation with "greetings" in quite some time. The last person he did witness do so was his late king and Edmund did not want to fall into an episode in the middle of the tavern so he forced himself to push the image of the king's dead body from his mind.

"When do we leave?"

"Kinallen," Aegand faintly muttered, letting the woman's call pass by like the cold breeze that forced him to shiver. It was indeed the village, the familiarity of its name found space in Aegand's thoughts as he read it thrice. Perhaps his challenging excursions from Fal'Addas brought quite an adverse effect, so much so that he started to misalign himself from his memory.

He browsed through the letter once more and looked at the woman with keen eyes.

"The masters I serve sent me to seek the evils of your village. I can also help the magistrate with the knowledge I bear, but I can't guarantee any miracles should the situation become dire."

Conviction ran through his voice but being unaware of what he might face subsided his thoughts in a multitude of uncertainties. This wasn't the first of his errands, yet every time he embarked on a journey of unknown perils, he would often start daunted for what may happen ahead.

"I'll join. My duties require me to." He acknowledged the question, sensing an ominous tone from the man who asked. "I just hope time isn't against us once we're on our way."

Last edited:
"I think it best that you fellows leave at dawn. The wilds are no place to be at night on Godelier's Road. Were I you I would travel only when the sun is in the sky." She rests her slender soft fingers along both men's shoulders if they allow.

"Thank you both. I would find one more to help you in this undertaking. Many hands make light work and I fear their is much to do to right the wrongs suffered in Kinallen." Her expression goes sad and the dwarf returns. Bronmaen starts to clean some mugs with a dish towel but he is obviously eavesdropping.

She turns to him and speaks. "Take what is left of the money I gave unspent on drinks and prepare two rooms for these men for the night." She turns to them briefly as if to check their reaction. "They will leave in the morning." Bron rubs his beard for a moment and nods. He fetches two bronze keys, calls out a name, and hands the keys over to a woman to prepare their rooms.

She turns back to them. "You will come to a great broken iron gate in two days time if you go swiftly. Two statues of armed guardians flank the gate. If you do not see this by the third day then you have lost your way." She shrugs.

"It is hard to lose one's way so long as you follow the road northeast. I will go before you and inform the master of your imminent arrival." The dwarf narrows his eyes and fiddles with his beard.

"I am Elisabeta. Pardon my rudeness. I hope to see you both soon in Kinallen." She paused briefly as if to ask, 'do you have any questions?' but in quick order turns and flees out the door, vanishing into the mist.

Edmund Adelard | Aegand

OOC Notes: Nothing of note happens the rest of the night though you are both welcome to interact further and one other person is welcome to join you. Fair weather the next day if a little hot. Summer is approaching. Either way I will post a continuation tomorrow if neither of you time jump to the next morning.

Last edited:
Two days was nothing. Edmund had travelled for months on end trying desperately to find a place inhabited by something other than monsters on multiple occasions. Plus, statues of armed guardians would be easy enough to spot and the knight had luck when it came to finding his way.

He turned to Elisabeta, "Thank you for paying for our rooms. I'm grateful. I look forward to us meeting again. We shall do what we must to vanquish this evil from your village."

Edmund gave the woman a nod of in place of a bow and lifted his mug to his lips, forgetting there was no liquid inside. Disappointed, he sighed, pondering whether or not to simply retire, but he had many questions for the man next to him. He was already in search of Kinallen. How had he heard of the place?

He gave the man slight smile, "Bron, I'll take two more ciders!" Edmund waved toward the dwarf and raised his voice to a level which was unusual for himself. "I hope you will stick around for a while longer?" He addressed the stranger, "I'd like to get to know my new travel partner."

The knight finally took a seat at the counter and began to spin the mug around, needing something to do with his hands. "You said you serve a master. Who is it you speak of? And why do they want you to go to such a place?"

• Yay
Reactions: Caliburnus
Indeed, the woman's generosity was a delight. A rarity among the lackadaisical tavern folk if Aegand were to understand more of their culture. There were doubts pushing for space in his thoughts. Not of the woman nor the quest, but of himself. The notion of his sole assignment seemed eerie and undeserving at best. He could easily dismiss it as something bribed for an adventure he eagerly sought, but the more he pondered, the more nervous he became.

Nervous, but not frightened. Aegand never feared an unknown adversary, even if the odds won't be in his favour. He feared disappointing The Faith, to commit a misstep that would ultimately brand an undesirable image of himself. The monastery were forgiving towards failures, but Aegand being human marked a different circumstance.

An awkward nod gestured his appreciation towards the deed.

"Thank you," Aegand chirped. "Yet sleep is something I don't do. I am grateful for your kindness, however. I just hope we'll be able to help your people."

He then watched the woman leave, disappearing into her own quarters or wherever she was headed to. It left him with the man, his ominous tone still lingering as if prancing through Aegand's consciousness. He was pale-skinned, strange at best and had been noticeably drinking throughout the whole ordeal. It was then brought to Aegand's attention if the ale was all worth the try. He wouldn't risk it though.

The man's inquisitiveness shook him slightly but was quick to firmly compose himself.

"I'll be here." He addressed the first question before jumping his thoughts over to the next set of queries.

"I serve the high priests of The Faith. I belong to an order of monks from Fal'Addas, devout to the doctrines of our old elven prophets." His voice roared a resolute inflection, as if he was reading scripture rather than merely conversing.

"There's a sinister presence we seek, believed to have rummaged through villages where there's a fount of magic or a recent practice of sorcery. I was sent to find its source." His voice changed, sounding laboured. His doubts returned to him like a deflected dagger.

Amidst them, there was his adventurous fervor. It had been months since his last assignment where there was a lot of travelling involved. This was an opportunity, perhaps a resuscitation from the endless and laborious commissions of meditating.

"I'm Aegand. What's your name?" He sheepishly smiled, still standing away from his seat.

Last edited:
  • Yay
Ryke had tucked herself away in a corner for the evening. She listened intently as the others mingled and then inquired with the strange woman.

"A village, in trouble?" She thought to herself. Ryke had been traveling alone for some time, and recently settled in Alliria after a long fortnight on the road. Already the coin from her last job had dwindled. The woman stood up from where she was, now making herself apparent to the others as she entered their view.

"What is this news of a troubled village?" She interrupted. Her father's old sword rested at her side, a hand perched upon its hilt.

She hadn't paid much else to their conversation, and missed Aegand's remarks about magic and sorcery.

• Yay
After some quick preparation Bronmaen brought two more ciders and placed them on the counter in front of each of the men. They would find the drink cool and flavored with ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, star anise pods, and steeped orange peel. The scent and taste of alcohol was absent.

"Something is bothering me. I would be remiss if I said nothing..." It was just at that moment that Ryke made her way up to the counter. When the woman inquired as to the troubled village Bron picked up the letter that had remained on the bar top and offered it to her. The red wax seal still clung to it. He cleared his throat and scratched his beard again. "I've been all about Epressa and recently at that. I deal in trade on the regular with folks all across this side of the strait and I'm no simple bar tender. I've not heard of the names in this letter." He frowned, grumbled, and shrugged. "I'm just saying that you folks should be careful is all."

He took a sip from a mug behind the counter. The woman he had given the keys to returned with them and he handed them over to Aegand and Edmund. Meals were included but by this time it was getting late. Many of the people who lived in the city were leaving.

Edmund Adelard | Ryke | Aegand

OOC Note: When you are all prepared for the next chapter just let me know and I will open the thread on the next day. No rush.

"Well," Edmund began, "it appears we have our path set out for us."

He was grateful for the refilling of his mug and took a swig. He missed the taste of Bron's cider slipping down his throat. He missed the moments where he was able to feel like someone other than himself. "I'm Edmund." The knight addressed Aegand. "You're a religious man, I see. I suppose nearly everyone is these days."

Edmund could sense the nervousness on the man's tongue and gave him a weak slap on the shoulder. That was, without a doubt, the cider's doing. He gave a smile, a genuine one that only seemed to appear when he was tipsy, in a sad attempt to comfort the man.

"We will not fail. I feel strongly that we shall indeed find the source of this sorcery you speak of."

The knight carefully trudged back to his table to retrieve him helmet and sword, gently running his gloved fingers down the side of his mask, then returned to his ale. He was curious about the woman who had joined them last minute. She was tall and pale, much like himself, but there was something in her eyes. Edmund had learned to read people's eyes. And he knew when a person was donning a mask.

He held out his hand in greeting, "And who may you be?"

• Yay
Reactions: Caliburnus and Pele
"You can call me Ryke," she answered.

Ryke examined Edmund with brief curiosity, before settling for contentment.

She may have seemed out of place to the other travelers. Though she seemed as worn as any other who ventured along the winding roads of the region, she carried herself more with the dignity of a noble. Or at least someone familiar with their ilk.

"If there are truly people in need, then I shall come." Was all she had to add.

It wouldn't be the first time Ryke went to a village in need. Though it is rare for her to travel in a group, and now she wondered how well their company would fair.

• Yay
The would be heroes get to know each other further. All agree that they should set off at first light. Eventually each retire, some more inebriated than others. The rooms are comfortable and nothing disturbs their sleep except perhaps nightmares. These are quickly dismissed as beams of sunlight shine through the windows at dawn.

A Plea For Help: Godelier's Road -->

Ryke | Edmund Adelard | Aegand