Private Tales A Murder of Crows

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Very well," he stated plainly, "then all we can do is hope... I don't know about you, but I could surely use a rest."

“Alright.” She said, wrapping herself more tightly in the cloak. “Then let’s hope.”

The town was pretty cute, definitely pleasant looking and not unfriendly it didn’t seem. Still she shied away from eye contact and only greeted people if she were greeted first. Her small frame certainly helped people to dismiss her as harmless. That is until the local militia questioned them.

Her heart leapt into her throat, and her breathing quickened.

"Halt," said the leader, "who goes there? What business do you have here?"

She spoke up in a stutter, “w-we’re just passing through, s-sir. We only need a p-place to stay.”

“w-we’re just passing through, s-sir. We only need a p-place to stay.”

"We come from the Falwood, and the cold is proving a great trial during our travel."

The local guard gave them each a thorough inspection, noting Erën's armament and Namidre's apparent lack, though it was difficult to see past her covering. He measured them for a moment before resigning that they were little threat, just a couple of elves doing whatever it is elves do.

"Very well, the inn is just that way," he said pointing further down the street, "just don't cause any trouble. I've got enough problems to deal with these days," he said turning back to them, "you'll be on your way come morning?"

"That is our plan," replied Erën, "we have little cause to remain much longer."

After turning to a somewhat pleasant, however gruff interaction, the leader found them to be safe enough to be left alone. He and the militia men moved along, as of yet completely unaware of Namidre's bounty or at least unable to determine it was her. So far so good. Erën looked over his shoulder at her and breathed a quiet sigh of relief, and then with the nod of his head motioned toward the mentioned inn. It was a quiet little establishment, and as they entered they found that there were a few patrons dotting the main floor, some sitting together and others sitting alone. The fireplace across the room cracked and danced, and the warmth was a welcome reprieve from the harsh outside.

He gestured with his arm for her to start in toward a table near the flame, and he would follow after her.

• Love
Reactions: Namidre Dhendizad
"Very well, the inn is just that way," he said pointing further down the street, "just don't cause any trouble. I've got enough problems to deal with these days," he said turning back to them, "you'll be on your way come morning?"

"That is our plan," replied Erën, "we have little cause to remain much longer."

Namidre, after Erën confirmed that they’d be leaving come morning, said to the guard. “Thank you for showing us to the inn sir. We appreciate it.” She sounded nervous still, almost fearful, and was failing to hide it.

After turning to a somewhat pleasant, however gruff interaction, the leader found them to be safe enough to be left alone. He and the militia men moved along, as of yet completely unaware of Namidre's bounty or at least unable to determine it was her. So far so good. Erën looked over his shoulder at her and breathed a quiet sigh of relief, and then with the nod of his head motioned toward the mentioned inn. It was a quiet little establishment, and as they entered they found that there were a few patrons dotting the main floor, some sitting together and others sitting alone. The fireplace across the room cracked and danced, and the warmth was a welcome reprieve from the harsh outside.

He gestured with his arm for her to start in toward a table near the flame, and he would follow after her.

She followed his direction to the seat, and sat where directed. “It appears my infamy has yet to spread this far, though surely with the bounty hunters on our trail news will come this way and more will join the chase, I thank you sir, for bringing me as far as you have. I must ask, why protect me? Someone you barely know, against a veritable army of men and women after the price on my head? Why put yourself in such danger for me, a stranger?”

"...Why put yourself in such danger for me, a stranger?”

He sat across from her, and where each of them were placed but a turn of the head showed them the door. But for now he looked at her, and his eyes cast down with her question, and his mouth curled some with a thoughtful breath.

"It is the charge I took up many years ago. You are an elf, but more than this you are guilty of no crime here. The lies alone are enough for me to turn my blade, but as kin, distant as it may be, I would not have left you alone."

He cast a cautious eye out, taking stock of those present. Then he looked back to her, "surely what you say is a likely truth. We should not linger here too long. A human saying: out of sight, out of mind. If you're not hungry, I'll get us some rooms."

• Yay
"It is the charge I took up many years ago. You are an elf, but more than this you are guilty of no crime here. The lies alone are enough for me to turn my blade, but as kin, distant as it may be, I would not have left you alone."

She looked at her hands, and then into his face. "A very noble thing to do Sir Erën. I cannot express sufficient gratitude. Thank you."

Then he offered to pay for some rooms and she said, "allow me. I may be an outcast but I've done enough odd jobs to pay for a couple of rooms for a night."

She didn't give him an opportunity to oppose her and went straight to the innkeeper, and came back with a key. "Had enough for a two person room. Do you have any business to attend or would you like to sleep now?"

"Had enough for a two person room. Do you have any business to attend or would you like to sleep now?"

He gave his head a shake, "no, I think we should resign."

He said so while his eyes were cast upon the door. There, an individual hidden under dark cloth had entered in. There was little cause for alarm, but it did alert him that they were not likely to be the only travelers passing through here this night. He rose from his seat, and nodded that he was ready to proceed upstairs. On the second level, to their right there was a long hallway with doors lining either side, and a window at the far end. They would find their number along here. To their left was a shorter span with only a single room on either side, and another window.

Erën did not know the number on the key, and waited for Namidre to lead the way in.

• Yay
She nodded as he decided to turn in. So they went up the stairs and to the second floor. She looked at the number on the key, VI. So they went to room 6 and she unlocked the door for them.

It was a neat room, not fancy or anything but neat, and warm. There were two beds, separated by a table pushed against the wall between them.

Namidre took the bed closest to the door and slid into the covers quietly. It had been quite some time since she had slept in a bed, quite some time indeed.

"Good night Erën." She said quietly.

Erën followed Namidre into the room, and after closing the door her gave it a quick look over. There was nothing of an great interest within. So as they got themselves settled Erën took more interest in going to the window and looking out. It was snowing, but only gently so, and he could see well enough into the dimly lit street to feel eased with the lack of traffic. Perhaps there would be fewer stopping by than he'd first thought, something which would hopefully prove beneficial to them.

"Good night Erën." She said quietly.

He gave a subtle nod, his eyes drifting almost listlessly while following the vacant road below.

"Rest well," he replied, his tone likewise hushed.

And there he remained for a time, careful to keep himself relatively out of sight from any who would choose to look up through this same pane. In truth, he sought to avoid sleeping at all this night. Over the last few months, he'd found he could sustain himself with relative comfort for up to three or four days without truly feeling any effect of sleep deprivation. He used this to his advantage, as he still found it difficult to deal with the apparent backlog of dreams he'd developed over his lifetime joined with the collective. But he was still growing tired, coming well close enough to his limit that he should have likely laid his head down to rest.

• Sip
He gave a subtle nod, his eyes drifting almost listlessly while following the vacant road below.

"Rest well," he replied, his tone likewise hushed.

She nodded before laying her head down to sleep. She wouldn’t wake until the sun reached it’s peak, or she was woken. She didn’t usually sleep in, but she was of a nocturnal race, so she didn’t usually wake during the day anyway. So once she awoke, she’d groan and rub her eyes with the heels of her hands.

Throughout the night a few new visitors had come to the town, some were armed others weren’t. Very few looked like mercenaries, at least those who had passed the inn they were staying inside.

Erën was in no particular rush, so even after the Sun rose he made no effort to depart with any haste. He imagined most hunters would expect that if they had taken refuge here, then they would seek to leave before daybreak or perhaps shortly after. And indeed, more often than not that was the best course to take. But this time he felt differently, and perhaps they would give the impression that they'd never been here.

So when Namidre awoke she'd find Erën sat quietly at the end of his bed, inspecting his sword in his lap. From where he sat he could see outside quite well, and had watched for much of the morning all the goings-on through frosted window panes. The streets had become more populated, but this was a small town. There were no real crowds. That suited him, he was likely to spot any followers just as quickly as they might spot them, at least.

Erën heard her stir.

"Good morning," he said.

He lifted his sword and held it out before him for a few seconds, looking it over one more time before returning it to its sheath.

"I believe there may be a stable," he nodded toward the window, "just down the street. We may be able to shorten our journey... when you're ready."

• Bless
"Good morning," he said.
She rubbed her eyes with her palms while she replied, “good morning to you too, if indeed it is morning. I didn’t sleep in too far did I?”

Then she remembered how he had made no attempt to lie down the previous night and she asked, “how did you sleep?

He lifted his sword and held it out before him for a few seconds, looking it over one more time before returning it to its sheath.

"I believe there may be a stable," he nodded toward the window, "just down the street. We may be able to shorten our journey... when you're ready."

“I don’t have the money for a horse, and I cannot expect you to pay for one.” She said as she got up. “Besides, we don’t have that far to go. But it’s up to you if you want a horse or not.”

He shook his head to her concerns about the time, it was not an issue.

“how did you sleep?

Another shake of his head, "I chose to remain awake, in case a need arose."

He was not overly fond of the idea of being caught unawares by an assailant. In fact it gave him a new anxiety, one he struggled to mitigate most times. Nevertheless, as tired as he may be, he didn't show it much.

"Payment for a horse is not an issue," he replied, "my time as a monster hunter has been quite... lucrative."

In his days with the Order, finances were a non issue, even in the latest years. Things with the Monster Hunter's were different, by-and-large paying his own way. And though it added another element to his duty, it was a paltry issue in the face of much he had already seen and done in his life. If slaying monsters made one coin, then he was well enough off.

"But as you say, we are not far off. The choice is yours."

• Bless
Another shake of his head, "I chose to remain awake, in case a need arose."

She looked at him with concern. “You should rest. We don’t need to go immediately, and you shouldn’t be traveling while tired.”

"Payment for a horse is not an issue," he replied, "my time as a monster hunter has been quite... lucrative."

In his days with the Order, finances were a non issue, even in the latest years. Things with the Monster Hunter's were different, by-and-large paying his own way. And though it added another element to his duty, it was a paltry issue in the face of much he had already seen and done in his life. If slaying monsters made one coin, then he was well enough off.

"But as you say, we are not far off. The choice is yours."

“Even so, you’ve already done plenty for me, I won’t ask you to do more.” She said to him. She stood up, still clad in her traveling clothes, really her only clothes. And she stretched. “I can watch out for a while, go ahead and sleep, you need it too.”

Erën shook his head. While he was a person of many merits, he came also with his flaws. Stubbornness was sometimes his greatest enemy, and in this case, for good or ill, it would prevail. He stood and cast another look outside before donning once again what gear he'd set aside for the night - his sword belt, his cloak, etc.

"No I will be fine. There will be plenty of time to rest once we're through the portal stone."

Belgrath was a much more familiar place. He had friends there, and while he would likely never admit to such anxieties, he would be much more comfortable resting behind the safety of their gates.

He turned to her, saying, "I am ready to leave."

• Bless
"No I will be fine. There will be plenty of time to rest once we're through the portal stone."

"If you're sure." She said to him, a little concerned.

He turned to her, saying, "I am ready to leave."

She nodded, pulled on her shoes and put the cloak he gave her around her shoulders. And she stood up. She would follow him out the door and pick up her staff as she walked behind him.

They had tried to evade the hunters, they had failed. The original hunter was far smarter than they had given him credit for, and he had sent his five new comrades to watch the exits to the city.

All through the hallway, down the stairs, and even exchanging their final words with the innkeeper, all seemed well enough. There was, so far, no reason for him to believe they had even been thought of, let alone asked about. He handed over their key and turned to make their way out. It was crisp outside, and invigorating. The cool air rushed into his lungs and any sort of fatigue was washed away for the moment. He nearly shivered from the chill. It was getting colder by the day it seemed. As they made their way down the street he exchanged a few idle observations, noting some strange individuals gathered in the a circle down one of several side streets, all robed in black. It was the symbol on their sleeve that caught his eye, but his view was so fleeting he could not see it with clarity.

Another thing of note was a child, no older than 7 or 8, following them. Watching them. He quietly pointed this out to Namidre, but he himself felt it was little more than curiosity. It was likely they had never seen elves before.

They passed by the stable, and just near it, on past the blacksmith, was a tailor. He made a brief stop there, and purchased them a pair of heavier cloaks, much better suited for the growing cold. From the shop they left for the eastern edge of town, and left without incident... but it would not be long until the mercenaries received word from their spy, and gathered. All the while they did so without the elves' knowing, and though for a time Erën was acutely sensitive to any approaches, after a while he grew more comfortable. Complacent...

It seemed his fatigue was beginning to catch up with him... but surely they were no more than a day away from their destination... and all he had to do was get there.

• Nervous
Word reached them alright. And they followed them closely, until they were out of reach of help from the city, and the first hunter, the cloaked man stepped in their way. There were twelve of them in total, but all of them were hidden save the cloaked man. He had his bow out, and an arrow was nocked on the string. His saber was ready to fly from it’s sheathe for when he got close.

Namidre was the first to suspect danger, as before her eyes flashed white. And she looked around at the trees and foliage. “Erën, I think we’re in trouble.”

And the cloaked hunter appeared, and as he approached Erën stopped, and stood his ground. There was no need to cast words at this man, as his posture alone told the seasoned warrior this one had come for a fight, confidently. If only he knew who Erën was - what he was. He hardly suspected this lone hunter could best him.

Erën, I think we’re in trouble.”
It was an accurate observation. With her warning he focused his attention, briefly, around them. He could feel that there were others, yet to show themselves.

It was a trap.

"We're surrounded!"

He drew his swords, and bolted forward to cross blades with the cloaked hunter. But quickly after their swords met, the others came out from the woodwork. Some carried ropes, others used magic, but one way or another they sought to apprehend the two elves by whatever means they could conjure.

• Scared
He drew his swords, and bolted forward to cross blades with the cloaked hunter. But quickly after their swords met, the others came out from the woodwork

His first sword was intercepted by the curved sword of the cloaked hunter, his second was intercepted by the sword of another familiar hunter, the man who's sword he had shattered on their way to the town. And they wasted no time to retaliate. The cloaked hunter drew a dagger and slashed at Eren'thiel's gut while his dual swords were occupied.

The one's who came out of the woodwork came for her, and she was ill-prepared to fight them off. She cast a number of comets, but each one getting more desperate and less likely to hit. Three of them died, four managed to get close. She was struck, and her staff fell as she stumbled back, to be seized by another, and bound by those around her. While Eren was busy, they dragged her, stunned and immobilized, into the forest.

Even in a state of fatigue, crossing swords with Erën was no simple task. Though there were two, and each of them met his steel firmly, he would not be so quickly dispatched. He shoved himself back with his loose foot, shedding their swords into one anothers', and evading the stab at his abdomen. This was a false fade, and he quickly moved forward again, feining right before bolting left, drawing his right handed sword around and slashing fiercely against the second attacker.

Again, their swords met, and Erën beat against him again, causing him to stumble back.

The cloaked hunter came upon him, and with an appel and a shove Erën darted around him, shifting his grip on his left sword, poised to impale him from behind.

The other returned with more haste than Erën had hoped, and he was forced to divert and stay the attacker with a kick to his knee, dropping him, and swiftly following up with a strike of his pommel, leaving the man in a heap.

He whirled around and lifted one sword to block an incoming attack, and once again prepared to thrust his free blade into his foe.

But with Namidre detained, several of the others became available to intervene. A chain of sparkling light shot out and wrapped itself around his wrist, pulling his arm back and pulling him off balance. He was thrown to the ground. Then, a painful and sudden shock ran through him, causing him to holler out in pain, and immobilized him for the duration. When it ceased, he struggled to his hands and knees, trying desperately to get to his feet.

He turned his eyes up, and was likewise struck with the pommel of his attacker's sword, and knocked unconscious.

Then he, like Namidre, was dragged away in bonds.

• Scared