Quest A Knight, A Princess, And Taxes

Organization specific roleplay for governments, guilds, adventure groups, or anything similar

Llewen Merrick

The Last Lord of House Merrick
Character Biography
Link
Llewen Merrick awoke in a cold sweat. He'd only slept for a few hours, or so he thought; he'd spent most of the night counting the pittance of money he'd gathered from the peasants a few days prior. The Gereau family couldn't pay rent, or they would starve, and the other two families had had a mediocre harvest. As such there were only two avenues: not paying his dues to Mardania, or he would have to ask for an exemption.

But who should he ask? He was his own tax collector, and had never paid tribute directly, having handed that task off to his subjects when they would go to market. His parents never taught him the local hierarchy, if he belonged to some other noble or if he reported directly to the King. The last he knew, Mardania was ruled by a King, but he had never actually been to Mardus personally. He knew the old road that would take him there, and he'd heard from his subjects what it must be like.

Even so, knowing the ramifications of disobedience to his liege, he was sheepish about going. Surely the crown wouldn't notice this paltry sum of copper and silver was missing? He thought better of that, though. He knew that his three peasant family subjects were counting on him for protection; the peasants could pay the taxes when they traded their goods. But this season was unkind to them, and so the burden now lay with Llewen himself. And so, he ate a quick breakfast, donned his weapons and armor, gathered some provisions and what little money he had, and made his way to the empty Castle Merrick courtyard to find his horse, Rosemary, and prepare to ride for Mardus.

On the way, Llewen bid farewell to the head of each of his subjects' families. One family was kind to his plight, and gave him some additional supplies; some extra dried meat for the road, and a simple quilt for protection against the elements, to be returned when he made it back again.

And so he began his journey. It was largely uneventful; the road was harsh and littered with broken tree branches and other debris. He saw much of the overgrown land he was technically the lord of, but he simply didn't have the resources to patrol or cultivate into real farmland despite being in a potentially fertile valley. His parents had told him of plans to use their estate to expand and reclaim the land, but they were travelling with their gold when they were ambushed and killed by Orcs. The fear of a similar ambush pervaded his mind as he travelled alone through those heavy woods of pine and cedar.

Eventually, the old road joined a larger one, and before he knew it he was following signs to get into the city. A brief snowfall preceded his entry into Mardus, where he was greeted with the unfamiliar sights of city-dwellers and commerce. He had to ask for directions to get to the palace, but finally he and his tired horse were able to find their way, and Llewen approached the gates, where he hailed the guards:

"Hail, and well met! My name is Llewen Merrick, Lord of Castle Merrick. I seek an audience with the King."

He was thankful his hands were holding stirrups, because otherwise he might be visibly shaking. What was he doing here? He was no noble, only the son of one, and this was a place for noble men, not frightened boys.

Last edited:
  • Cthuulove
Reactions: Haloshooter
Mardus, capital city of the country of Mardania. A massive metropolis especially as medieval cities go. Busy markets, choked streets and alleyways, general chaos and almost overwhelming noise.
But the royal quarter where the palace stood was a quieter place, mostly a residential area for upperclassmen and nobility with regular guard patrols and even military activity, with mounted knights on patrol especially around the castle, and the renowned Paladins of Mardus standing guard at the gates and the entrance to the palace.

The palace and keep of the city was surrounded by massive and layered walls with many gates, the walls large enough to support doubles of any siege equipment and many contingents of archers, after all, they were made by and for Giants.
The gates through the walls were open since it's the middle of the day and people were allowed to come to court and bring their petitions.
But once at the palace doors he was asked to dismount and declare himself.
"Hail, and well met! My name is Llewen Merrick, Lord of Castle Merrick. I seek an audience with the King."
A stable hand came to care for his horse while word was sent ahead.
While they waited he was allowed into the lavish entryway, the heavy stained wooden doors swung open with a rumbling groan like some behemoth like beast as the iron bound doors turned on massive hinges to reveal a plush carpet, several cushioned seats where a few other petitioners awaited processing. Some were representatives, some were lesser nobles like himself or merchants or guild leaders all waiting to discuss their business with the princess.

A guard directed him to take a seat while he waited. A clerk with a scroll and a long feathered quill pen would occasionally come out of a door and call somebody's name, that person would then get up and follow the clerk through the door.
The process was fairly expedient so he didn't have to wait long for the clerk to come out and call for him.
"Lord Llewen of Merrick."

He would then be led through several different rooms where he had to do different things. In the first room he was asked to leave any weapons he had on him, save any ceremonial weapons, the former would then be labeled and safely stored in a magical chest.
The second was a waiting room where he would be given a firm and asked to write down his name and the reason for his visit while he waited once again to be called on.
The third room was a stone room with a stone table with a stone tablet inlaid with runes. He would be asked by a grey robed court mage to place his hands on the tablet to activate the enchantment which was a spell to detect things from magical threats and curses to any plagues or contagious diseases.
The fourth room was another waiting room full of people awaiting an audience and conversing with each other, mostly commoners and merchants. Before he could sit down a clerk would call on him and bring him through a side door, he would then be taken to another room with significantly less people and far more privacy. Other nobles and officials waited in here and were given preferential treatment.
He would be shown a seat and it wouldn't be long before a servant would come offering wine or some other light refreshment while he waited his turn in court.

This was one of her duties now, and she'd been doing it for a few years so far, her training and upbringing did well to tutor her in the arts of state craft. And now, with her father ill and being the only heir to the throne, she was expected to fill the role in his stead and listen to the petitions of the people.
She didn't mind it, this has been what she had been trained for since she was old enough to understand... Which happened early for her, with the murder of her mother, brother and betrothed... The same night she ceased to feel any good emotion if she felt anything at all.
Now she preforms her duties without complaint, it was the duty of a princess to serve her kingdom and that she would do even if she couldn't feel any love or appreciation for her people.

A few times a day she might deal with a rather interesting or unique petition, but otherwise she doggedly went through the motions. The one that had the hardest job was the scribe who was tasked with recording every meeting, if she could feel sympathy she would have given it to that poor man who scribbled everything nearly word for word with a hand far faster than the eye could see.

Helia leaned against the arm of her throne.
Everything in the throne room, including her, was decorated in whites and winter blues, the colors of snow and ice. Her white hair was done up into a complex pattern atop her head and held in place by her crown. Not the crown of the queen, but a sign of her authority nonetheless. She wore a long flowing dress decorated with snowflake patterns, with flared sleeves reaching to her wrists. He skin was almost just as pale as her hair but not quite, some thought she was an albino but this simply was not the case, this was the way she was and the way she made herself... The princess with a frozen heart, for better or worse.

Those who paid attention to the gossip and news pamphlets would hear bits and pieces of the debate over whether or not Helia Glacies Kyxo was fit to inherit the throne from her father, rumors of foreboding and even high hopes were voiced from all over the kingdom and even the country, but the truth was that everyone was simply unsure of their future queen.
Helia let them bicker, she decided it would be best not to entangle herself in the debate. A true ruler had no need to prove themselves with a loud voice but rather to prove themselves with their actions, and thus far the majority of citizens polled have agreed that she could certainly stand up under the weight of her responsibilities to Mardania.

Finishing up with another petitioner she took a sip of water from a glass held by her cup-bearer before signaling for the next petitioner to be brought in. She was given the piece of paper detailing his name and the purpose of his visit, as well as some added details by the clerk that they found after a cursory glance into the name of Merrick. The former Lord Merrick, deceased along with his wife, left behind a son and daughter. Official reports state that the daughter died later on by illness. And now this Lord Llewen Merrick has taken over his fathers holdings.
While she waited for Llewen to be brought in she requested their latest report from Castle Merrick be brought to her. If memory served her, Merrick was not very large at all, originally established as a garrison by the late Lord Merrick but since the end of the war hasn't been used in that capacity.

Llewen Merrick would arrive before the report. The steward would come to get him after a long wait in the special waiting room and would give him a basic rundown of court etiquette, somehow understanding that he's not attended court before, or maybe he just told this to everyone irrespective of whether they've been to court or not: "Do not stand within twenty feet of the throne, upon entry as a knight you must salute with your fist to your chest and kneel, greet the princess as "Your Highness", refer to her as "Milady" or "My Princess", when given permission to rise and speak you should state your business as clearly and briefly as you can, answer her questions when asked and do your best not to ramble". The steward would then usher him into the throne room and announce him.
"Lord Llewen Merrick, of Castle Merrick, your highness."

Llewen felt in no small part that he was thrust into a world in which he simply did not belong; despite being a knight, he knew more about farming and the wilderness than he did about being a member of his station. In almost every way, he was a boy thrust into a position based only on his lineage, with no feats or accomplishments to show for it.

This became more evident when he waited in the room with the other nobles who were waiting to meet with the Princess--a concept he was still realizing, as the identity of the sovereign was still new information--and overheard some of their loftier conversations. His tone, his intelligence, his station were all in question as he listened to these men of greater import speak of their issues amongst one another. Still, he had to press on with his task. He listened attentively as the steward informed him of the proper etiquette, most of which he sort of knew from what little training his parents had given him before their tragic passing.

When he was finally invited into the throne room, he took a deep breath to steel himself before donning his best brave face and adjusting his green griffin crested tabard upon entering with the steward. That said, he almost gasped upon seeing the contents of the throne room, accidentally scanning the various corners of the icy architecture and being distracted for a moment before remembering his purpose.

Then, he saw the Princess Helia herself. She seemed almost otherworldly to Llewen, beautiful in a way he hadn't seen another person be, almost impossibly, fantastically so. He couldn't help but look into her eyes for a hapless moment, so entranced was he by the young princess. She seemed almost like the first morning after snow had fallen to him. Her appearance on top of the room itself overwhelmed him, and he at once felt almost completely lost.

He almost stumbled trying to keep pace with the steward, but when reaching the appointed distance, he remembered to properly salute, fist to chest and kneeling.

"Uh.. Your Highness," he stammered. His heart was in his throat at this point, and he felt like it might burst.

• Haha
Reactions: Helia Glacies Kyxo
The man she saw before her... No, a boy... He couldn't be much older than she was herself, was certainly new to the court. Of course it was impossible to remember everyone who comes through the palace on any given day, but just by his baring and the discomfort he felt was visible as if his face and body language were an open book of his thoughts.
"Uh.. Your Highness,"
He performed the initial greeting well enough. But thus far she wasn't impressed much.
When Helia spoke her speech seemed normal of a princess... Almost too normal, if one were adept enough to catch it one might notice the forced inflection and personality she's trained into her voice. In spite of her youth she had a voice that resonated around the room, the voice of a woman who held and wielded authority.
"Rise, Lord Merrick. And welcome. I realize it's been many years, but I would like to offer my condolences for the passing of your father. I never knew him but I'm told he was a good man by reputation."
She motioned gracefully with her right hand for him to stand, a practiced motion down to a T, as if she herself were attempting to lift him from the floor with some telekinetic power while seated on her throne.

They were not the only people in the room. Paladin's serving on guard duty were spaced aesthetically at different points against the walls, spears in hand and held at an angle pointing towards the ceiling of the opposite wall.
Seated to the left of the queen, positioned towards the wall and facing the middle of the room was a small table and chair where the scribe sat.
Almost like an audience there were many chairs situated along the length of the throne room that still left a walk and clear sight of the throne, but seated in these chairs were an audience of several officials and nobles of different capacities, all of them obviously quite wealthy and powerful. They sat quietly or whispered to one another as they watched the proceedings with a bored sense of interest.

Helia continued, "We've not yet met. I am Helia Glacies Kyxo, the heir of King Kyxo, my father. I was told you came to petition the king, I regret to inform you that he is unable to address petitions at this time. But allow me to hear your concerns as your princess. Speak."

Llewen listened to the words that Helia spoke, standing as if directly under her spell. For a moment, he was lost again, as she recounted his own personal plight with the death of his family. He waited for her to finish speaking, out of a growing sense of awe and respect for the intimidating princess who sat atop the icy throne. Finally, when she had finished, he mustered as much courage as he could, and formed a response.

"Your Highness... I thank you for the kind words about my father. I was but a young lad at the time when he was.." he stumbled over his words, realizing he might seem improper. "My father and mother were both killed by orcs while traveling the lands near The Spine. I know not the reason for their journey, but they held much of our wealth with them, for after their passing I was left with nothing but his castle, his sword, his horse, and his mail, delivered to me by one of my subjects, a simple farmer."

He paused for a moment. He felt a sudden surge of confidence as he began to speak, as if a great weight had been lifted.

"I know not the circumstances of your rule, Your Highness. I knew only that there was a King, and my father was pledged to his service. As Gawain Merrick's heir, I must again pledge my allegiance to your father, and your reign. Given the circumstances of my estate, I realize this may be the only time I have to do so. I have only my sword and my castle to offer, and what little gold we have. I am honored to be in the employ of one so resplendent as Your Highness, and should horrible war engulf our land, I hope that my single sword should be a sufficient offering."

He shut his eyes for a moment, gathering his thoughts again, perhaps waiting for her to respond. As he waited a moment too long, he realized: "You forgot to ask about the taxes, you dolt!"

• Bless
"Your Highness... I thank you for the kind words about my father. I was but a young lad at the time when he was.." he stumbled over his words, realizing he might seem improper. "My father and mother were both killed by orcs while traveling the lands near The Spine. I know not the reason for their journey, but they held much of our wealth with them, for after their passing I was left with nothing but his castle, his sword, his horse, and his mail, delivered to me by one of my subjects, a simple farmer."
At first it seemed like he had begun rambling in his nervousness, talking about the events that led to his father's death. But it seemed that he had a point so she decided not to interject.
He was destitute.
He seemed to grow in confidence the more he spoke, and that was satisfactory for her, she disliked incompetence especially in her knights.

"I know not the circumstances of your rule, Your Highness. I knew only that there was a King, and my father was pledged to his service. As Gawain Merrick's heir, I must again pledge my allegiance to your father, and your reign. Given the circumstances of my estate, I realize this may be the only time I have to do so. I have only my sword and my castle to offer, and what little gold we have. I am honored to be in the employ of one so resplendent as Your Highness, and should horrible war engulf our land, I hope that my single sword should be a sufficient offering."
He seemed about to say something else but couldn't seem to find the words... Or was he wincing at his own boldness?
It was indeed boldness, he was making a very big move even if he didn't recognize it, restoring his allegiance to Mardania. It was an important political move and to anyone's knowledge he hadn't done anything else on the political stage, he hadn't gone to other nobles to garner support, he hadn't. As little as he claimed to have he was still willing to put it on the line and pledge it to them, making it not only a matter of support, but also a matter of honor. This even drew a few surprised murmurs from the crowd of nobles.
Helia's face remained impassive.
"Your oath of fealty is most graciously offered, Lord Merrick. I expect that you would honor the oath as your father once did, uphold our laws and answer the call should war come to our lands, to fight our enemies both foreign and domestic..."

A servant arrived during the pause and discreetly handed the report Helia had requested. She glanced over the records, there was little enough there to take note of, but it seemed to confirm his claim that Merrick castle had very little to offer.
He was bold indeed, to put everything on the line and simply hoping it was enough. It wasn't enough, he had such a small holding, he couldn't field any armies, he couldn't provide support unless he intended to die immediately in service to the crown.
"... However, Lord Merrick. You seem to be in no position to offer anything..."
She set down the report and gave him an appraising once over with her cold gaze. His armor was well kept but old, not up to the military standards held by the knights and certainly not her Paladins.
"In honor of the position Gawain Merrick once held, I can allow you to renew his oaths as his heir. But if you are unable to fulfill the most basic obligations as one of my vassals, collecting taxes in the name of the King and fielding an army of at least sixteen men when the need arises, I'm afraid you will not be able to maintain your position for long if these reports do not improve."

She hoped this would prompt him, that this would light a fire under him to take action to save and maintain his land. She hoped he would ask for an exemption, it was his only option at this point, she could not grant him one otherwise. He needed to state his need and make his case and she was supposed to consider it, and grant it of course. He would need time to turn things around and he cannot do that when what little he has is being stripped away without the opportunity to grow. However, as emotionless as she is, she could still determine a good outcome versus a bad one. She weighed the detriments of both sides, the detriment of losing a potential supporter versus the detriment of dragging along dead weight. This was a meritocracy after all, she would not be able to inherit her father's throne if she were not fit for the job, no amount of royal blood could stop a city of thousands from dethroning her.

Her icy gaze bore into his eyes, trying to hold them to impress upon him the urgency of her words... Urgency she didn't really feel but had learned to mimic. As a princess she was supposed to care, she was supposed to be invested in her decisions and do what was best for the people with both justice and mercy... But since she no longer possessed the capability to feel those things naturally she was forced to pretend in order to get by, knowing how to act in order to do what needed to be done.

• Nervous
Reactions: Llewen Merrick
Thus far his interaction with the princess had not gone as he had expected, but then, he had expected to be speaking with a King about a tax exemption, not pledging his sword to the royal figure who sat before him. As she spoke he met her eyes, catching a glimpse of her cold, almost expressionless visage. Was his plight that uninteresting to her? Was this more of a fool's errand than he could have imagined? Llewen began to get the sense that not only would he not get an exemption, he might lose everything. 16 men at arms, when he didn't have 16 subjects, in addition to the taxes he could not afford to pay; he realized now more than ever that he had been at the mercy of a blessedly inefficient bureaucracy, that had perhaps forgotten his estate in the years following his father's death.

At last, it was his turn to speak again.

"I... yes, and it is the matter of my holdings that I come to you this day. I must admit to my unbearable poverty and that of my subjects; I have 3 families under me. One family lost their only son this year, and they could not afford new cloth for their daughters to make clothing to either sell or wear. My other 2 families had poor yields this year in their fields, due to the ever encroaching land that seems like it might swallow up my subjects and our land at the earliest sign of weakness. We simply do not have the labor necessary to reclaim my land, a land which stretches across the border, 400 acres in total, and only 20 of which can sustain crops."

"I was thrust into this position before my parents could teach me anything of chivalry or stewardship. I have not only a poverty of the land, but also a wretched and terrible poverty of the heart. For 5 years I have been the sole steward of Castle Merrick, as there is no one who could even be my regent. I was even robbed of my sister, who died when she had only seen her 6th spring when a fever took her. I do not know if my words can reach you upon Your Highness' mighty throne, but the state of Castle Merrick and its territories are dire indeed, as is the state of my own house, for I have no heir, no wife, and no wealth."

"But my subjects depend on my ability, and in that regard I have failed them. I have failed to reclaim my land in 5 years and provide a better condition for them. I know only that which they knew, and could not appear in court in fear of losing my title due to being underage. It has all been a terrible burden, and many nights I fear I am the only one who has lost quite so much despite being born with very little."

"I can only in grace ask for that which I came for. Our harvest this year was only about a third, and the pittance I have brought with me today as an offering is not sufficient for the amount due of one in my station. I must instead beg mercy of Your Highness and shame myself before my sovereign, and offer that paltry amount while asking for exemption from the rest of the owed amount this season."

"Yet I fear that with my official ascension to my estate upon my 18th birthday, that this will continually be an issue. Your Highness has made it clear that the status quo is unacceptable, and as your most humble of Knights I know that the burden lies solely with me to improve my estate. My father often told me before he died that our land was in a fertile valley, but the land would need extensive reclamation before it could be farmed. He planned to use his gold he earned from questing and war to hire a workforce capable of reclaiming that land. But since he perished along with his gold, I could not satisfy his ambition in his stead, and thus I am the Lord of 400 acres, but in reality only 20. As such, I beseech Your Highness' infinite wisdom and power to aid my estate. In kind I will pay twice the amount of owed tax, and provide twice as many men at arms, as soon as I am able to do so."

"Twice as much?" he thought to himself. At this rate she'll be revoking your title twice, then exiling you twice. Despite these thoughts, he tried to keep his gaze focused on the Princess as he awaited her response.

• Sip
"I... yes, and it is the matter of my holdings that I come to you this day. I must admit to my unbearable poverty and that of my subjects; I have 3 families under me. One family lost their only son this year, and they could not afford new cloth for their daughters to make clothing to either sell or wear. My other 2 families had poor yields this year in their fields, due to the ever encroaching land that seems like it might swallow up my subjects and our land at the earliest sign of weakness. We simply do not have the labor necessary to reclaim my land, a land which stretches across the border, 400 acres in total, and only 20 of which can sustain crops."
Helia leaned back in her throne as he spoke, she watched him go from a nervous wreck to pledging himself to her services. Generally a regular Tuesday for her, but it was certainly more entertaining than most of the petitions she's dealt with thus far. The nobles were already enraptured, whispering and muttering and soaking up every little detail for their rumor mills.
She pretty much understood his plight at this point, further expounding upon the fact that he was destitute was like beating a dead horse but she let him go on, listening and pretending she wasn't a princess with a frozen heart.
"I was thrust into this position before my parents could teach me anything of chivalry or stewardship. I have not only a poverty of the land, but also a wretched and terrible poverty of the heart. For 5 years I have been the sole steward of Castle Merrick, as there is no one who could even be my regent. I was even robbed of my sister, who died when she had only seen her 6th spring when a fever took her. I do not know if my words can reach you upon Your Highness' mighty throne, but the state of Castle Merrick and its territories are dire indeed, as is the state of my own house, for I have no heir, no wife, and no wealth."
Marrying into wealth was one option to relieving the weight of poverty, though she doubted he would take such an action at this point. Without any connections and nothing to bargain with she couldn't think of any noble that would marry off a daughter to such a person.

"But my subjects depend on my ability, and in that regard I have failed them. I have failed to reclaim my land in 5 years and provide a better condition for them. I know only that which they knew, and could not appear in court in fear of losing my title due to being underage. It has all been a terrible burden, and many nights I fear I am the only one who has lost quite so much despite being born with very little."
"I can only in grace ask for that which I came for. Our harvest this year was only about a third, and the pittance I have brought with me today as an offering is not sufficient for the amount due of one in my station. I must instead beg mercy of Your Highness and shame myself before my sovereign, and offer that paltry amount while asking for exemption from the rest of the owed amount this season."
"Yet I fear that with my official ascension to my estate upon my 18th birthday, that this will continually be an issue. Your Highness has made it clear that the status quo is unacceptable, and as your most humble of Knights I know that the burden lies solely with me to improve my estate. My father often told me before he died that our land was in a fertile valley, but the land would need extensive reclamation before it could be farmed. He planned to use his gold he earned from questing and war to hire a workforce capable of reclaiming that land. But since he perished along with his gold, I could not satisfy his ambition in his stead, and thus I am the Lord of 400 acres, but in reality only 20. As such, I beseech Your Highness' infinite wisdom and power to aid my estate. In kind I will pay twice the amount of owed tax, and provide twice as many men at arms, as soon as I am able to do so."

The new Lord Merrick sure liked to dig himself into holes with his words, making grand promises of paying double by the time the matter of his exemption is revisited.
Helia looked at him skeptically, his current situation didn't inspire much faith in his promises. Right now it was mere words, but words spoken in this room were binding which is why the scribe made sure not to miss a single one.

An ambient murmur rose from the crowd of nobility, many expressing their doubts that he could keep his word for such a promise.
Helia raised her hand in a call for silence, the voices died down and the room was quiet once more save the voice of the princess.
"You understand, Lord Merrick, that if you have not kept your promise by the time your exemption is up, I will have to strip you of your title and your lands."
She paused to let her words sink in.
She couldn't let him retract his words either, the nobility would certainly think she favors him were she to do so in their presence... And that could be equally as dangerous for him, especially as defenseless as he is.
Securing that part of their border was a worthwhile investment in their country's defense, but if he couldn't pull it off she would have someone else do it.

She wanted to make sure he understood what exactly he had gotten himself into, and maybe add a modicum of caution to his courtly speaking skills. She took his words at face value, and he promised a high value.

• Sip
Stripped of my title? he thought. And what title is that? A rotting wooden castle and 3 families that can barely grow enough to feed themselves? What am I afraid of?

After a moment where he tried to read her muted expression and sensed only a cold answer he might be mistaking for boredom, he began to wonder about the Princess herself. Were cases such as his common? The rest of the nobles around certainly seemed to be watching with a raucous rapport; so why then was the Princess Helia so calm? He was at once impressed and terrified.

He nodded, as if snapping back to reality.

"Your Highness, I am but the only man at arms of my estate. My mother used to tell me of knightly virtues when I was but a boy:
'Temper your courage with valor,'
'Always follow the path most perilous,'
and 'Be ever gallant in all ways, with sword and heart.'

If I cannot provide to you twice of the least of your demands, then I may as well leave my title of my own accord. No, I must do greater for Your Highness. It is the only way to honor the memory of my father, and to bring glory to the Realm."

He paused, then spoke, ignorant of the Princess Helia's familial situation.

"What would you do for your family, Your Highness? I do not know of your family, and why you speak on behalf of the King; I must pray that all is well. But if you lost your family, and were left with nothing but the ashes of the dreams of your father and mother, and only the distant memory of your only sister, what would you do? What could you do but honor their memory by vowing to be more gallant? I have only my sword, and my horse, and neither of those can turn dense forest into farmland, or castle walls into tilled earth. But if I could, I would do so for Your Highness at only the mere word."

"I am at your mercy, Your Highness, and both that and your wisdom are legendary. If you have any good men or women seeking a place to lay their heads, send them to me. Send to me your refugees and young, impetuous people seeking work. I will give them a place to sleep, and feed them, and in return I will give Your Highness 400 acres of crops and a garrison that can withstand an Orcish horde for forty-two fortnights. This I swear on my honor as a Knight of Mardania, and as Your Highness' most humble of servants."

• Popcorn
"Your Highness, I am but the only man at arms of my estate. My mother used to tell me of knightly virtues when I was but a boy:
'Temper your courage with valor,'
'Always follow the path most perilous,'
and 'Be ever gallant in all ways, with sword and heart.'

If I cannot provide to you twice of the least of your demands, then I may as well leave my title of my own accord. No, I must do greater for Your Highness. It is the only way to honor the memory of my father, and to bring glory to the Realm."
In intriguing perspective... And one she could respect. If he can't cut it, he shouldn't. That told her of his conviction and that he understood where he was at, and he understood that if he cannot excel, he shouldn't even succeed at the bare minimum.
"Your mother taught you well of the knightly virtues. Your heart and mind are where they need to be, Lord Merrick."

"What would you do for your family, Your Highness? I do not know of your family, and why you speak on behalf of the King; I must pray that all is well. But if you lost your family, and were left with nothing but the ashes of the dreams of your father and mother, and only the distant memory of your only sister, what would you do? What could you do but honor their memory by vowing to be more gallant? I have only my sword, and my horse, and neither of those can turn dense forest into farmland, or castle walls into tilled earth. But if I could, I would do so for Your Highness at only the mere word."
She had frozen her heart and thus had locked away all the feelings of those days, she did not feel the pain of those thoughts and memories and so could recall them without issue.
But his words did tell her more about him. He had indeed been living under a proverbial rock until now, the story about what happened to her family was well documented in history books by now, and the story of her frozen heart turned over to the bards and sung in taverns across Mardania.
A romantic story, and of course the stories promised much to the one who could finally melt her frozen heart and break the curse. It was a curse that she had created herself and for herself, in the moment when her grief brought her more pain than she thought she could bear she decided to lock it away behind a shield of ice... She's since decided it was a childish decision made in her youth but the damage was already done, even she didn't have the ability to break this curse.

She let him remind her of her family, the mother and brother she lost and her betrothed... And technically her father on the same day, even though he is still with her. He was a shade of the king he once was, and his sickness was one of the heart with no known cure.
"I see that you've not been in Mardus for long, Lord Merrick. The king has fallen ill and since the death of my brother many years ago I have been the sole heir to the throne. But enough of that." She finished with a slight wave of dismissal to that topic, as if brushing away a fly. It was common knowledge in Mardus but not a topic appropriate for courtly discussion.

"I am at your mercy, Your Highness, and both that and your wisdom are legendary. If you have any good men or women seeking a place to lay their heads, send them to me. Send to me your refugees and young, impetuous people seeking work. I will give them a place to sleep, and feed them, and in return I will give Your Highness 400 acres of crops and a garrison that can withstand an Orcish horde for forty-two fortnights. This I swear on my honor as a Knight of Mardania, and as Your Highness' most humble of servants."
Helia was starting to grow an interest; this boy was persistent in expressing his loyalty, almost overly expressing himself as he continued to proclaim it in as many different ways as he could, and in as many words as he could.
He was desperate to impress upon her that he will succeed or lose everything trying. She got the message loud and clear.
He was nervous so she allowed him some grace for that, but eventually she raised her hand for silence. It was her time to speak and conclude this discussion for now. Details can be discussed in a more private venue; she'll instruct her steward accordingly.
"Very well, you will have your tax exemption. Five years and we shall call you to court and bring you to task, we shall see in five years the value of your given word."
She stood up from her throne for the first time and rose to her full height. Her legs screamed at her and she ached from having sat down for so long but it was a good pain, she now had the opportunity to move and she made sure her discomfort didn't show.

Her full height wasn't impressive, perhaps of average height for a woman in her teens, slightly taller in the high heeled shoes she wore. But it was the air of authority that she wore like a cloak that impressed herself on the room, she commanded the room with her presence, the room was an ocean and she was the moon directing the tides.
"Kneel, Lord Merrick of Merrick Castle."
Once he did so she would stride forward, down the steps of the dais and stopped to stand in front of him, five feet from where he knelt.
She put out her right hand into the air, as if reaching for something, and in the span of her reaching fingers cold and pale blue light began to gather and coalesce. Ice quickly formed and grew, shaping itself into the form of a straight sword.

"In honor of your family name, and in hopes that your word is as strong as your convictions; As Princess of Mardania I hereby knight you a Paladin of the realm."
She touched the blade to each shoulder, cold radiated from the crackling blade in waves but would do no harm to him. Once the ceremonial gesture was finished the sword broke apart and turned to mist that hovered along the floor before dissipating.
"Rise, Lord Merrick."
With that she turned around and walked back to her throne where she gracefully turned and sat, looking every bit a princess of ice.

"You are free to leave. Speak with my steward before you go, if you have more business to discuss it will have to wait for a later time. I have other petitioners to see before the hour is gone."
Once more she held her disaffected expression, as if nothing that just happened had actually happened.

• Bless
As she relayed the plight of her own family, Llewen's eyes widened. For a moment, he felt the fire in his previous speech ignite in him twice over; if she understood his situation, why the dispassion? Had her struggle led her to unimaginable cruelty? Thoughts of a fool's errand crept into his mind again, that most crippling of doubts...

Then, she spoke again, granting him what he had come for, at last. Her vacant expression had left him guessing the entire time if this would have been a worthwhile venture. Llewen had surprised himself, for his only oratory experience had been when he practiced with his mother, many years ago, and in his dictations to his few subjects. His speech had to have come from somewhere else, perhaps a latent ambition, taking after Gawain Merrick.

"You honor me with your humbling mercy, Your Highness, and I will temper my gratitude with immediate and decisive action."

However, Llewen could not have anticipated in his wildest dreams what happened next. The appearance of the Princess of Mardania loomed over him as she stood up, and yet he couldn't help but notice that she seemed to struggle to her feet. Then, as she made her way down from her icy throne, he eyed her movements with awe and wonder, until she reached the bottom and she suddenly seemed so very human. Was it her height? Perhaps it was the sudden proximity, where he could see her much more clearly. He tried not to stare, but her beauty was befitting a princess, and it was Llewen's first exposure to such beauty as a grown man, and for a moment he was entranced.

He felt a palpable tension as she grew close. He kneeled when she spoke, and bowed his head, catching the formation of the icy blade as it formed in the corner of his vision. Magic was also something new to Llewen, so far removed was his estate from the rest of the civilized world. He held firm through the knighting, remembering the etiquette his mother taught him as a child.

Then, he rose again on command. He looked into her eyes again, for a moment, seeing them most clearly in their encounter. He wondered what lay beyond them, as her very emotions seemed completely imperceptible.

He nodded in response to her command to leave, then bowed and put his fist to his chest.

"On my honor as your sworn vassal, I will uphold my new title with the highest conduct. My gratitude is now doubly eternal..."

He paused, though he knew she was impatiently awaiting his departure.

"I will beg my leave then, Your Maj-- Your Highness," he stammered. "I may speak out of turn, but I hope that we shall meet again, someday, and may speak of better things than my lowly estate. Farewell."

With that, he left the court, and met with the Steward. When he had a moment, he asked him a question.

"Beg pardon good Steward, but what is a Paladin, and what does it mean that I have become one?"

• Bless
She watched him go and motioned for her cup bearer again. There was still time for several more petitions and she had to sit through them and listen to all of them, and she had to make decisions on them on the spot and they had to be the right decision on the first try AND she had to do it while completely poised not just before the petitioner but also before the nobility attending the court.
But she was trained for this since she was born, she had the strength and discipline, she could do this all day no matter how mind numbing it became. If she could flawlessly lift a tea cup and saucer, take a dainty sip and put it back two-hundred times without a single mistake, she could sit through court till the cows came home.

Refreshed she called for the next petitioner.

The steward met him, having received a note of instructions from the princess through the scribe.
"Beg pardon good Steward, but what is a Paladin, and what does it mean that I have become one?"
The steward is a middle-aged man with a spry step and a busybody attitude. After all he was in charge of most proceedings around the palace, in spite of his age he seemed to be blessed with an abundance of energy.
"Ah, young Lord Merrick."
He greeted him with a bow of his head.
"There is some business that the princess has asked me to discuss and relay to you, but to answer your question; A Paladin of Mardus is an elite arm of our Mardanian knights, a cavalry division. They take extensive vows and devote themselves and their lands to the royal faction, the king and his heirs in this case. It's a very high honor, only a noble is permitted to become a Paladin. I would take it as a silent gesture of her highness' faith in you.

Naturally you haven't begun your knighthood yet, that requires an elite training regime and taking part in the Ceremony of Oaths where you will officially begin your knighthood. As it stands you are only a paladin in title, which legally grants you the rights you previously had as the inheritor of your fathers' land and title. I'm sure the princess intends for you to establish yourself before taking the oaths."

The steward then sorted through some papers he had with him, "As per the princesses request, she would like to discuss some things with you further as her guest for dinner this evening, but she underlines that only if you can spare the time away from your subjects to stay in Mardus for the night. If you choose to accept her invitation, she recommends you spend the rest of the day in the city, explore, she recommends visiting a library that you may culture yourself on some of the major events of both the past and present.

She also says that you should not feel obligated to accept, your obligation right now is to your people. You may give your answer to me, I will relay your response to her ladyship."

Still bewildered from the encounter with the Princess, Llewen tried his best to keep up with the Steward after asking his question. As the Steward extrapolated the details of Llewen's new position as a Paladin, he was left with more questions than answers--what was the point of this honorific?

I would take it as a silent gesture of her highness' faith in you.

Ah, that's... wait, what?

Llewen listened to the further details of his new station, which reaffirmed that Llewen knew nothing of courtly politics or even the structure of the system he had now risen to a rank of considerable prestige. He felt a sudden anxiety creep in, the sensation that he not only needed to clean up his physical estate, but also expand his social standing.

But Llewen was young, and while he felt overwhelmed he was still blessed with an impenetrable vigor of youth--then again, perhaps it was just the folly of inexperience speaking.

As per the princesses request, she would like to discuss some things with you further as her guest for dinner this evening, but she underlines that only if you can spare the time away from your subjects to stay in Mardus for the night.

Llewen nodded as the Steward spoke of the invitation.

"I have already exhausted her Highness' incredible mercy. I will of course attend dinner as her guest."

she recommends visiting a library that you may culture yourself on some of the major events of both the past and present.

"I will gladly go seek that information, if Her Highness wills it. Point me to it, and I shall go."

When the steward gave him the information, he immediately went to the library in question and was taken aback by the world he had plunged himself into. He was no scholar; he was literate, taught by his mother at a young age when he was learning courtly language and etiquette, but the only writings he had read since their deaths were ledgers for the meagre finances of his estate.

He started reading into some of the history of Mardus and its people, but he found himself distracted at multiple points by encroaching thoughts of his encounter with the Princess.

"I see that you've not been in Mardus for long, Lord Merrick. The king has fallen ill and since the death of my brother many years ago I have been the sole heir to the throne.

Llewen thought on this statement for some time. He thought of the Princess' stature when she had descended from her throne. Like him, the Princess Helia had also seemingly been thrust into an untenable situation. Mardus was a city of Giants both literal and figurative--one needed only to see the towering walls of the palace to be reminded of that fact. Llewen held no reservations about this thought that lingered, that she seemed even smaller now than when they had met face to face at last when she had knighted him to Paladin. And he knew that if he was harboring these thoughts, that other lords of the estate likely felt the same. But the other lords of the larger, more established houses likely did not share Llewen's professed loyalty, he suspected, and suddenly Llewen found himself worried for Princess Helia's well-being.

The oaths he had given in the throne room were largely a display of bravery on Llewen's part, more than a real affirmation of his devotion to the Princess. He had only his life and his sword to offer her, so that is what he offered; had he been the lord of a greater estate, he would not have gone to such lengths to demonstrate his fealty.

He choked up a bit, holding back tears. Yes, if only he had been born to a better estate, to a better situation, then maybe his parents might still be around, and maybe his sister would have somehow lived, too. Maybe his father would have given this speech to the Princess instead. Maybe, his father had already given this speech to the former king.

He rubbed his eyes, sniffling as he tried to calm himself. He really was just a boy thrust into a dire situation. Yet these thoughts had him realizing that now his words to the Princess had been true; their stations at once seemed so similar, and as her Knight he was now certain that he would fulfill his oath as a favor not only to his struggling subjects, or the memory of his father, but also of the Princess herself.

It began to darken outside, as Llewen could see through the library window, as the snow continued to fall. Llewen figured this must be around the appointed time; he didn't know how long had passed while he read in the library, but he steeled himself again, ready to meet the Princess once more at this private dinner. He sought the palace Steward again, and told him he had arrived for the agreed upon feast. Llewen felt uneasy, his stomach churning with a sudden anxiety. What if he was wrong about the Princess, though? There was only one way to find out.

• Bless
When he arrived at the palace again and identified himself a servant came to escort him. He was led through several side doors till they came out to a courtyard that separated the main court from the rest of the palace. He was allowed through the guarded doors and once again was led through a series of halls and doors until they came to what appeared to be a wash room. The servant explained that he was still travel worn from the road and should wash before attending dinner.
His clothes would be washed and dried waiting for him when he was finished and the servant would then lead him to a large dinning hall.

The room, like everything in this kingdom, was made for giants. Nearly thirty feet up the walls were decorated with white and pale blue banners hanging from the ceiling and the walls themselves were polished white marble. The table was somewhat shorter than one might expect, a mere ten by six feet. It was set for three people, a seat at the head and a seat at its left and right hand.
Helia walked in just as he did. She no longer wore her courtly gown but now opted for a far more functional dress, something with less whalebone and more comfort in mind while sticking to the same wintery theme that seemed to be her trademark.

She spotted him and nodded to him in acknowledgement. Even now her face was completely passive.
She approached him, stopping about ten feet away from him m.
"I am glad you decided to stay for the night, Lord Merrick. I did have some business I wanted to discuss in greater detail in concerns to Castle Merrick... But I'm afraid I accidentally mentioned our meeting to my father, at the mention of a young noble coming over for dinner I'm afraid he's gotten some romantic notions in his head, and he's suddenly found the strength to join us for dinner.

I wanted to find you ahead of time and inform you; my father will seem vibrant but try not to encourage him, his health has been failing him and he does not need any undo stress or excitement."

As breathtaking as the throne room was, Llewen felt even more intimidated by the sight of the inner palace, as if he were being let in on some great secret. While the high walls of his home, the wooden Castle Merrick, provided some notion of safety, these walls and high rooms felt oppressive, and pervasively lonely.

This is the home of Her Highness, Llewen thought. She spends every day here; it seems almost eternally cold here. If my home made me into who I am, fool that I am, what has this place made the Lady Helia?

He could not escape the doubts that invariably creep into the mind of every young person. He felt at once insufficient for this place, and his bravery had perhaps all been spent on his earlier interaction, and his mind spent on studying the history of Mardus and its royalty.

He was, of course, embarrassed by the sudden need to wash; few comforts like these existed in his home, and with no family and no appearances to keep up, he often would go long periods without bathing. It only added to his shame, but he attempted to keep his head held high after cleaning up, donning his washed clothes before finally being led to the Princess.

Her presence still intimidated him, but now that she was dressed more simply (at least, for a Princess), he again got the sensation that she was as small as he was, or at least, much smaller than someone in her position should be. He still honored her with his hand to his chest and a neat bow. Before he could speak, she did.

...at the mention of a young noble coming over for dinner I'm afraid he's gotten some romantic notions in his head...
"I..." his face flushed. "Your Highness..."

He turned his face away, knowing it was a sign of disrespect but he felt no other recourse. The mere suggestion of anything of the sort was too much for him; with regards to anything "romantic" he was completely and utterly juvenile, his only experience having been stories his mother used to tell him, but that was never anything beyond a knight and a princess living "happily ever after," whatever that meant.

He'd thought from time to time about needing a wife. But he never knew anyone he could be matched with apart from a girl around his age in one of his subjects' families. Yet he knew that marrying such a girl would be improper to his station. regardless of how either of them felt about the matter. For a curious second, he couldn't help but wonder if this situation was the same with himself and the Princess. That thought dug its way into his mind like a worm that would not let go; his Majesty the King would indeed be mad if he were to entertain the thought of a lowly, penniless Knight marrying his only surviving daughter. A thought which simultaneously relieved and deflated Llewen, as he was yet again reminded of his lowest of stations.

He gathered himself, then cleared his throat as if it might make things less awkward.

"I must confess I was not prepared for such an engagement, but in this matter I am Your Highness' humble servant, and I shall endeavor forthwith to oblige your command. I shall not encourage His Majesty, if I follow the words of Your Highness correctly."

He paused for a brief moment, nodding.

"If I may, Your Highness, I find it easier to speak to you in such a dress. On the icy throne, your figure seems most austere and absolute--a true ruler of Mardus."

He laughed, rather awkwardly.

"Perhaps I speak much too freely for my own benefit, even now. I am ready to proceed, with one tarrying thought: it is not the place of a Knight to marry a Princess, correct?"

He'd hoped it was implied that by extension, the King asking about such things was rather strange, but then, he gathered as much from her expression.

He was left with another thought, too, as he assumed the Princess would now lead him to this peculiar feast: How did he really feel about the Princess? He only knew her now as cold and impartial from her demeanor, yet she had showed him great mercy with a 5 year tax exemption for him and his people, and did not humiliate him in front of the greater court. His thoughts momentarily rested on the concept of marriage with such an individual, and his cheeks flushed again, ever so slightly, as any young man might at such a thought, even though he perhaps had little reason to do so.

Focus on the task.

The words of his father cut into his thoughts, clearing the doubt he was feeling, and he was determined not to shame his family any more than he had already done, no matter how impossible it might be for someone with no knowledge of court politics to appease a King with an eye on him and his only daughter.

• Haha
"I..." his face flushed. "Your Highness...
She watched his reaction with an expression of tired resignation, assuming that his mind was wondering as well, "I see, you as well? Perhaps this meeting was more of a miscalculation on my part than I originally thought..."
"I must confess I was not prepared for such an engagement, but in this matter I am Your Highness' humble servant, and I shall endeavor forthwith to oblige your command. I shall not encourage His Majesty, if I follow the words of Your Highness correctly."
She nodded in confirmation, "Correct, and I thank you for your cooperation. He need not harbor any misunderstandings, this is a business meeting."

"If I may, Your Highness, I find it easier to speak to you in such a dress. On the icy throne, your figure seems most austere and absolute--a true ruler of Mardus."

He laughed, rather awkwardly.

"Perhaps I speak much too freely for my own benefit, even now. I am ready to proceed, with one tarrying thought: it is not the place of a Knight to marry a Princess, correct?"
"I am pleased to know that you find me easier to converse with on a more personal footing. While in court I represent the entire kingdom in my father's stead, and I thank you for such a compliment."
She was about to turn to the table when he went on and asked his question.
"Stories have romanticized such ideas, I'm afraid. While I am free to marry whoever I wish as a princess, I become joined to the house of my husband and lose all former titles if I marry below my station. As a queen I can choose a king without forfeiting my right to rule."

She returned her gaze to him to look him up and down. "As a knight, you can marry above or below your station without loss in status, until I become queen I am a political tool. Were my father a different man he would have certainly married me off by now against my will for some beneficial alliance with one of our neighboring countries... It is only... these days my father sees himself less as a king and more as a father trying to look after his daughter before he loses his ability to do even that, thus his notion of our relationship in this meeting. I mean no disrespect to my father, but he's struggling and obsessed with being relevant in my life, out of respect and pity for him I must allow him that.
She related these personal details with the same disinterested expression and tone, as if she honestly knew no harm in telling such an insignificant person of her personal life.

At this moment the doors across the hall opened to allow a tall elderly man to enter the room. He wore rich blue robes and a golden circlet on his brow. His shoulder length grey hair was combed smooth as well as his long pointed beard. Even hunched as he was and walking with the aid of a cane and attendants in his wake, if he stood straight he would be closer to seven feet tall, and he moved with a certain strength that didn't seem to fit the sickly pallor of his wrinkled and weathered skin.

At his entrance Helia placed an open palm over her heart and knelt with her head bowed.
"Father, I am pleased to see you can join us."

• Sip
Perhaps this meeting was more of a miscalculation on my part than I originally thought...
Oh no, Llewen thought, realizing he'd perhaps made an unintentionally grave error in his inexperience. Moxie could only really get him so far, perhaps. The dinner would be the truer test.

Llewen listened intently as Lady Helia explained the intricacies of the court. He was able to follow along surprisingly well, in part because her own plight was so similar to his regarding their families and their stations. He wondered if she realized just how much they had in common. He also found her disinterested affect to be ever more perplexing--no disappointment, that he could tell, nor excitement at her station, yet she was clearly very intelligent. Maybe those stories about her frozen heart were true, but how would that affect the kingdom in the long run? He must have been Gawain Merrick's son, for already some seeds of ambition were starting to take hold in his heart for how he might begin to navigate the political landscape before him.

While I am free to marry whoever I wish as a princess, I become joined to the house of my husband and lose all former titles if I marry below my station. As a queen I can choose a king without forfeiting my right to rule."
"I can see the difficulty that might entail, Your Highness. Is it really impossible for you to marry without giving up your titles, even if the suitor was willing to relinquish his own? I'm afraid I simply don't know enough about this, but is waiting really the best way to reach your destiny?"

He briefly paused.

"Is there no one, but myself, who would help you?"

He figured that might be the only question he could ask her, for now. His thoughts refocused after she answered, then following Lady Helia into the great hall before them, and Llewen followed her lead with his hand to his chest and kneeling.

"Your Majesty," he said respectfully, after Helia had spoken, his own head still bowed. He was following her lead, and given her comment, he was actually less concerned about making a fool of himself knowing that there wasn't some unspoken romance or some other saccharine subtlety to Helia's dispassion.

• Popcorn
"I can see the difficulty that might entail, Your Highness. Is it really impossible for you to marry without giving up your titles, even if the suitor was willing to relinquish his own? I'm afraid I simply don't know enough about this, but is waiting really the best way to reach your destiny?"

He briefly paused.

"Is there no one, but myself, who would help you?"
She looked at him sharply after his final question. A shudder of suppressed violence rippled through her and a tiny twinge of cruelty curled her features for the briefest moment before the icy mask dropped down in place again.
Who could help her? She couldn't even help herself.
"I am afraid you speak too freely, sir. That is my fault, I indulged your lack of experience and spoke with you as an equal."
She took a deep breath.
"I do not believe in destiny. I simply work towards the best possible outcome. And that is all we shall say on the subject."

--------------------------

Her father smiled fondly at his daughter and lifted his hand.
"Please, stand both of you. This is an informal "meeting" after all."
Helia dutifully stood went to the king. He offered his arm and escorted her to her place at the table.

The table wasn't extravagantly set. A simple evening meal of savory stew and warm bread.
Helia sat as her father pushed her seat in and then went to take his place at the head of the table.
Helia was seated at his right which left the seat to his left for Llewen.
Once seated the king turned his attention to Llewen.
"Welcome and well met, Lord Merrick. I must say it's been some time since your father has been to court, how does he fare?"

Perhaps I speak too freely, Llewen thought, but it seems Her Highness may be just as troubled as I am. He thought perhaps momentarily that she had resented his questions, and while he certainly didn't want to anger her, he thought on that interaction curiously. But they could debate destiny and their places later; the King awaited.

-------------------------

Llewen initially did what he was told, watching the King seat the Princess before he went to his appointed seat, and did his best attempt to sit down "fancily," or at least however Llewen had imagined such a thing might look like. His lack of courtly mannerisms were fairly apparent, but he was surprised to see that the meal on offer wasn't too different from something he might have eaten with some of his peasants. Then again, there was never enough warm stew when it was always so frigid in Mardania.

"Well met, Your Majesty... I offer my gratitude for your generosity, and uh..." He paused, hearing the King's question. He gulped, taken aback by the King's question. Then again, he hadn't known about the Princess's family being murdered, so how might the King have known about someone as low as Llewen or his father?

"Your Majesty... Gawain Merrick and his wife, Gwendelain, were both slain by orcs five years ago. I am his only heir, and the sole custodian of the title belonging to House Merrick."

Llewen attempted to maintain his posture, not wanting to immediately give ground even though he was already terrified and exhausted by this conversation.

• Bless
"Well met, Your Majesty... I offer my gratitude for your generosity, and uh..." He paused, hearing the King's question. He gulped, taken aback by the King's question. Then again, he hadn't known about the Princess's family being murdered, so how might the King have known about someone as low as Llewen or his father?

"Your Majesty... Gawain Merrick and his wife, Gwendelain, were both slain by orcs five years ago. I am his only heir, and the sole custodian of the title belonging to House Merrick."
The king seemed immediately contrite, "Ah, My apologies, young lord Merrick."
The king wisely left it at that, refraining from explaining that five years ago he lost his wife, son, and technically his daughter in similar fashion, and the subsequent war prevented news of the death of a minor noble from ringing with any significance.

Helia interjected next.
"So, as you can see, father, this is merely a meeting to discuss a path forward for Lord Merrick. Currently he's staked everything, including his honor, on the promise that he can fulfill his father's plans to cultivate his land..."
"Then give him a tax exemption immediately!" The king looked aghast. "It's as much our duty to serve our people as it is their duty to serve their country!"
"I've already done so, father." Helia answered evenly, "He has five years, I think I've been more than generous."
Her father deflated slightly, "I see, I apologize, Helia. Once again it seems you've thought of everything."

Helia took a careful sip of the hot stew, blowing on it before taking a bite, almost as if the heat could melt her.
"I do have some questions though, for Lord Merrick. Your grand promises aside, what role do you see Merrick Castle serving in the long-run? It was originally built as a garrison, correct?"

Llewen listened, feeling at once bashful in front of the King and the Princess, who seemed to be having a fairly normal interaction--something he and his father might have had, for example. But Llewen sensed that this may not be the expected behavior for a King, not that he knew any better, but it was one of those "proper" things he could gather through his intuition. That's what he thought, anyway. Perhaps Helia was being too harsh on her father? Only time could tell, Llewen thought.

"I must again express gratitude for the exemption, Your Highness," he said, looking at Helia, then turning to look at the King. "Your Majesty is gracious to extend an invitation to one so lowly as myself. I only hope I do not seem the fool for challenging so arduous a task with so little experience."

He turned back to Helia now, to address her question. He knew that he had the same plans as much of any Lord, really--expanding his land, his troop count--but in a flash of inspiration, he came up with something a bit more inspiring.

"Well... In addition to repaying my dues you generously exempted me, I plan on making Castle Merrick a bulwark against those who might invade Mardania; a veritable shield against her enemies, that Her Highness might strike with Her Sword. My parents were killed by orcs, and I..." he choked up for a second, then cleared his throat. "I want to make sure that never happens again in Merrick lands. I will reclaim my father's land and make it one of the largest stretches of farmland, patrolled by good, brave men who can proudly defend both House Merrick, and those of Mardania as a whole. I believe that is the legacy my father wanted, and I will spend a lifetime if I have to in order to make it so."

He said that last part with some finality, looking plaintively at the Princess moreso than the King. His loyalty rested with her, that much he knew--she was strong, yet showed mercy to him. He felt he could trust in her leadership, and it was her he swore fealty to, and so he would make every promise to her, not to this King.

• Bless
"I must again express gratitude for the exemption, Your Highness," he said, looking at Helia, then turning to look at the King. "Your Majesty is gracious to extend an invitation to one so lowly as myself. I only hope I do not seem the fool for challenging so arduous a task with so little experience."
The King gave him a nod as he ate his stew, "It's an ambitious task, Lord Merrick. But if you have the drive then nothing is impossible."
The king then gave the stage to his daughter. He clearly hasn't been brought up to date on recent events.
Helia blew on another spoonful before responding, "The exemption is not a gift, remember that. I trust that you will exceed all expectations and Mardania as a whole will benefit from my decision."

"Well... In addition to repaying my dues you generously exempted me, I plan on making Castle Merrick a bulwark against those who might invade Mardania; a veritable shield against her enemies, that Her Highness might strike with Her Sword. My parents were killed by orcs, and I..." he choked up for a second, then cleared his throat. "I want to make sure that never happens again in Merrick lands. I will reclaim my father's land and make it one of the largest stretches of farmland, patrolled by good, brave men who can proudly defend both House Merrick, and those of Mardania as a whole. I believe that is the legacy my father wanted, and I will spend a lifetime if I have to in order to make it so."
"I see, so you plan to make Castle Merrick a stronghold. If Castle Merrick can successfully become the gateway of our Eastern border, I believe my kind decision will be well repaid."
The Eastern border was a vital portion of Mardania, and many forts held by Noble Faction forces already guarded the way, but the east towards The Spine is where the portal stone stood, and as of now no substantial Royalist force guarded that road.
She sipped the stew again, indicating that's the last she will say on the subject.
"On another topic; while your goals are ambitious and the exemption allows you to pursue those goals, when do you plan to initiate your knighthood? My Paladins of Mardus are an elite military force and the training will require much time, the equipment is not cheap, the duties are not easy. In regards with your plans for your home and your duties as a knight of the realm, what sort of plans do you have for that?"

In the throne room, Llewen had oddly been more prepared to speak with Helia. But here he was truly in the Princess's court, where her machinations were on full display and her calculating mind was working at full efficiency. At least, that's how it seemed to Llewen, who was now backpedaling trying to think of an adequate answer. He took a bite of stew, stalling while he thought of an answer; not to be dishonest, but only to plan and formulate a thought. Once again, his youth allowed him to be quick on his feet mentally.

"Well... any good Lord must rely on his retainers. I know of such a man who may aid me. My father was friends with someone, Landis of House Tobruk, whose lands were taken from him--rightfully--by another family. But when the exchange occurred, after the lands had been exchanged, they put his family to the sword. Landis was lucky to escape with his life. He has sent me a letter regarding his well-being, and plans to serve me, though I have yet to make contact with him. Landis could be my steward, and manage my estate when I must serve Her Highness, and His Majesty as Paladin. As my father's title is newly formed, I am the only one with a rightful claim to it, and I do not think any noble of a right mind would seek my 20 acres at the risk of having his titles stripped by Your Highness.

If Your Highness could give me a year, I could procure the necessary funds to equip myself, and then I would be ready for training. I must confess in my present state that I am not of the level of horsemanship Your Highness expects from a Paladin. I only hope I can meet your expectations, or exceed them."

Helia was practical, cold, efficient. Llewen may not have been as much, but his mother had taught him some pragmatism as well. He knew there was a lot more to being a Knight than riding a horse and carrying a sword, and being a Paladin would raise his status considerably, and attract even more men to his cause--especially armed men he could use for his garrison.

• Bless
"Well... any good Lord must rely on his retainers. I know of such a man who may aid me. My father was friends with someone, Landis of House Tobruk, whose lands were taken from him--rightfully--by another family. But when the exchange occurred, after the lands had been exchanged, they put his family to the sword. Landis was lucky to escape with his life. He has sent me a letter regarding his well-being, and plans to serve me, though I have yet to make contact with him. Landis could be my steward, and manage my estate when I must serve Her Highness, and His Majesty as Paladin. As my father's title is newly formed, I am the only one with a rightful claim to it, and I do not think any noble of a right mind would seek my 20 acres at the risk of having his titles stripped by Your Highness.
"A solid plan, sir. It is good that you surround yourself with people you trust. But also keep in mind that you are a knight and a Mardanian, you may have to aquire the skills to use your title in order to enlist the aid of those you cannot trust to receive the backing of your country. An Ally you can trust is as rare as a unicorn in the lowlands, but a Mardanian is a Mardanian and we all serve the country."
Her eyes were not focused on any one person on the room at this point, not even on the bowl of stew she was slowly finishing up. It was almost an aloofness she adopted now, she seemed to simply look down her nose at a spot on the table while she listened and spoke. Disinterest might have been the way to describe it.

If Your Highness could give me a year, I could procure the necessary funds to equip myself, and then I would be ready for training. I must confess in my present state that I am not of the level of horsemanship Your Highness expects from a Paladin. I only hope I can meet your expectations, or exceed them."
The sigh she gave almost sounded frustrated, but she also seemed just as disaffected as ever.
"Another year? You already have five to get your affairs in order, Sir Merrick. I asked for a plan, not another promise. I want to see results before I hear another promise out of your lips, am I understood?"
The reprimand was delivered without a hint of chastisement or scolding, they were the words of a princess and that was all the weight and authority they needed.
She turned her eyes from the table to look at him, almost daring him to come up with another grand promise.
But she really examined him... Would her emotional self like this boy? This man who claimed so much responsibility? Would the restored Helia empathize with him, speak with him more kindly, be even more generous? Would the locked away part of her heart even come to love one such as him?

She didn't know, she couldn't know what her other half liked or disliked... But she could wonder and try to imagine what it would be like to actually like someone.

Helia's words were filled with much of the courtly wisdom Llewen would expect from someone in her station. She was right, of course--it was ridiculous for one in his station to beseech his liege for aid, when his liege was supposed to be depending on him. He'd already asked so much of her, and she was more than just in suggesting that her mercy had reached its end. But Llewen had come here expecting nothing, so he would have to take whatever was offered him.

"You are understood, Your Highness. There must be some in Mardania who knew the name of Gawain Merrick and would mourn his passing; I shall seek their aid and return to train as one of Your Highness' Paladins forthwith. I will also uphold my oath to reclaim the lands of Merrick and provide her Highness with the appropriate tax and troops, and Castle Merrick shall be known far and wide as the bastion of Mardania, while undergoing her Highness' strict regimen for training, that I might be worthy of being one of her most valiant servants. At such time, I hope Her Highness will recognize Llewen Merrick not only as her loyal subject, but as her trusted ally, whose sword she may claim at her lightest whim as her own, to strike down her foes and be her shield against all threats. Her Highness' mercy is legendary; I only hope to repay even a fraction of it with my deeds."

He didn't quite believe it himself when he said it, but Llewen told himself that this is what a Knight did. He wondered in kind, though: What did Princesses do? And moreover, if this was Helia's dinner discussion... what was she planning on talking about in private? His thoughts wandered again to her familial state--were there others of the title Kyxo, or was she too the last of her line? Llewen figured there would be some sort of backup succession in mind, but if not...

The gears in Llewen's head started turning. No, he didn't know what Lady Helia wanted to speak about in private. But he did know what he wanted to talk about.

• Cthuulove