Private Tales A King’s Bargain

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Pale green eyes sharpened even as she slipped the necklace back over her slender neck. She had to walk twice as fast to keep up. Even though she was just at the bottom end of tall for a human.

That's how it always was with the fae.

Technically, the night wasn't over yet. But the way he'd just spoken. For awhile, she walked in tenuous, amicable silence with the Erlking. If that was even possible. The landscape around them shifted from the brilliant wood to a vast desert beneath the stars. Then to a field of sharp-edged boulders.

"So, my end of the bargain is complete and I'm free to ask my favor?"

She just had to be sure even as she saw the outline of the Winter Palace up ahead in the moon brightened sky.

• Smug
Reactions: Midir
Midir chuckled and glanced up at the moon.

"I would say the night is not yet over, Little Bird, and a night is what our bargain said," judging by its position there was a good five hours left of their time together. Of course, this was Dawn. The moon might choose to hang there for several years. The Winter Palace hung against the night sky which had deepened to the midnight blue-black of a magpies wings and stars dotted its velvet surface like sequins. The Palace only looked more beautiful in this light. Silvery against the darkness like a beacon of light.

"When was the last time you were in Dawn, Fraeya?"

• Nervous
Reactions: Fraeya
He wanted to…idle chatter!? This was almost as astounding as his hint of humor back at the weaver’s cottage. As much as his decision to walk back rather than take the lines.

WHO was he?

She was stunned into a pause of silence.

“Shortly after the masquerade where,” she stopped. It’s not like she had to explain it to him. Where she’d tried to trick him. Where she’d kneed his son, rightfully still in her mind, in the balls. Where she’d made the bargain. And how she found herself stuck fighting one of the most powerful and wild magic beings with one of the most powerful and fearful magic beings.

Who was currently idly chatting. With her.

Damn. She’d almost rather face the weaver again.

Almost.

“It wasn’t to this part of dawn. Why do you ask?” She’d never seen his palace before, even when she’d run into the Fury herself. Her face turned into the breeze and she caught the hint of salty air. It reminded her of a home she never had.

And she caught the way he looked at his own palace in the moonlight. "How long has this place been a sanctuary for you?" She never thought that even someone like the Alder King would crave a respite. A place of his own to escape all that came with ruling a court.

Last edited:
  • Sip
Midir didn't grace her counter question with so much as a glance let alone a response. The reasons why he chose to ask his questions were for him to know and him to know alone. He tucked the bit of information away though and made a mental note to recommend Delun send her on some of the missions that involved this sphere of the fae world. So many of his Hunters could get disorientated by the way the landscape shaped and writhed literally beneath their feet but Fraeya seemed to take it in her stride.

He did, however, answer the second question.

"Lorcan's mother gifted it to me the day our son was born," he'd given her a star she now wore about her neck encased in a special metal that could trap the celestial body and harness its light. "She never allowed politics to be discussed here."

• Thoughtful
A stiffening of her shoulders and clenching of her jaw at the Prince’s name. A glance up at the moon that seemed to be teasing her in the sky. And whose light painted the Erlking’s skin in an eerie glow.

“Is she there now?” Green eyes darted back to the palace growing in size as they approached. It was hard to imagine King Midir loving anyone. Even his son he seemed to disdain. Though fae children were so rare. Perhaps the reason why she’d been taken as a baby.

• Sip
Fraeya's question surprised a laugh from the Erlking's lips. It wasn't the usual kind of chuckle he gave accompanied by a signature smirk. This laugh sounded almost as surprised as the king himself. He shot her a look that seemed to question whether she was sane or not then shook his head.

"No, our deal was to have a child and that was it," neither of them had wanted commitment. Their union had been one of mutual need; to sire a child. That wasn't to say he didn't have some affection for the fae woman who had borne him his only child but it was a far cry from love. Love had died with the mate he had never been able to have.

The road suddenly seemed to jump and the pair round themselves coming at the Palace from a different angle, right along the edge of the rocky clifftop and affording them an uninterrupted view of the ocean beyond. Midir didn't hesitate between one step and the next.

A lone dining table was perched at the top of the hill with two chairs.

"Hungry?" he mused.

• Wonder
She faltered just slightly on the edge of the cliff. It wasn’t the landscape change. It was HIS laugh. She righted herself, rocks kicked back and tumbled over the edge and into the rocky, dark waters below.

Instead of scare her, it gave her a thrill of excitement. She was tempted to walk closer to the cliff’s edge but didn’t as her gaze tore away from the drop and to the table in the moonlight. A quick nod. She was hungry. Even if part of her wanted to lie and run away into the castle to hide the rest of the night away. Even if that night lasted years instead of hours. The bastard.

“You don’t seem very happy with the prince. Why make a deal to have a child in the first place?” It was no secret how the King felt about his son. And why didn’t Lorcan spend more time with his mother? Was his mother….worse than the king?

She couldn’t help it. There was something about Midir that drew out her curiosity. Coming to the table, she was thankful to see a towel and basin of water. She quickly scrubbed her ash-coated hands and face. Wiping them clean.

Midir considered ignoring the question altogether. He owned Fraeya no answers to such things after all. It was a question fae had only had a withering stare in response to, and some fae even less than that. But for some reason this night he found himself willing to talk. Perhaps it was the fact he was in such a good mood after the bounties of the day. The staff he now carried had been lost to him for several millennia and with its return his power could once again be more stable. Stronger.

It was important now that war was on the horizon.

"You don't get to pre-plan who your child is," he pointed out. What he had thought his son would be and what he had ended up with... Well. Even the seerers hadn't been able to predict that. Midir sat on one of the chairs and gently shook the napkin out before laying it across his lap. That done starry figures suddenly appeared beside the table to lay it with cooked seafood, freshly cooked veg and breads.

"Do you want children. Fraeya?"

• Yay
She nearly choked on a bite of roasted fish at his question. She managed to swallow. Eyes watering at the corners. A demure pat of her mouth with the napkin, hiding her expression.

A slow blink in the king’s direction.

Even as she fought to rest in this moment. To marvel at this strange night. Eating dinner with the King of Autumn. She knew this would never happen again. After tonight, he’d forget she existed. Perhaps to her benefit.

She could lie to the Erlking. But she didn’t see a benefit in that. “I’ve never thought about it.” And she hadn’t. She’d never even met anyone that she could see a future with, let alone children. And a part of her never thought she would. She was a changeling among the fae. The most they ever saw her as was a temporary novelty. Nothing more.

Even as the ring seemed to burn against her leg in her pocket.

She returned her attention to her plate as she buttered a cheesy biscuit. Slowly with the knife. “Do you ever wonder what you’d be doing if you didn't have a kingdom to lead?”

Last edited:
  • Popcorn
A single, silvery brow arched.

"Why would I?"

There was no point in wondering what could or would have been if he had chosen another path. Besides, as long as he could remember Midir had known that the crown had been destined for his head. There was no other path. He took a delicate bite of some of the artfully cooked noodles and seafood whilst he examined the girl opposite him. Tonight he had seen a glimpse into why Delun had kept her on so long and rejected other offers to take on the changeling. He hadn't imagined all those years ago when he'd quietly suggested her name to his assistant that the scribe would form such a bond. But the Fates had a way.

"And how is your brother?" He asked casually, spearing another piece of fish.

• Cthulhoo rage
Scccccreeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaachhhhhhhhhcrrrrrrrp.

The knife skidded across her plate in an ugly sound. She could've sword she saw a grimace on one of the servants that seemed made from the night sky themselves. Fingers fighting off a tremble plopped the buttered biscuit back onto the plate. She'd just found out she'd had a brother not too long ago. Met him. And she had no idea how time passed since she'd returned to the fae world - on the other side of the veil.

He and Lexi might already be dead of old age for all she knew.

How did the Erlking know was beyond her. Light-green eyes narrowed on the monarch, searching his face for any hint of threat. Any sort of motivation for asking that particular question.

"Why are you asking about him?"

• Smug
Midir picked up the goblet and held it whilst a silvery Winter Court berry wine was poured into it. In the moonlight the liquid sparkled like the stars.

"We were talking about families," Midir gave a casual roll of his shoulder then swirled his drink before taking a sip. "It seemed rude not to enquire after your own," he gave no hint of how exactly he knew about Cassian but the simple truth he did he knew would hold enough weight in itself. It was perhaps a cruel thing for now the girl might not pluck up the courage to give her dear brother another visit but it had been so hard to resist. Especially when her reaction had been as sweet as the wine he supped upon.

"So, is he well?"

• Cthulhoo rage
Her grip tightened on the butter knife she held. Very slowly, each of her digits relaxed. But she didn't drop it. Plucking up the biscuit with her other hand, she forced herself to take a small bite even as her appetite fled her.

"Last time I saw him he seemed to be doing okay and I'd like to keep it that way," flipping the knife in her hand she drove it into the nice table, the end vibrating slightly. It was a laughable threat, she knew. But it made her feel better as she continued eating like nothing had happened.

"And that's funny because the Erlking I know doesn't care about being rude to changelings. Would you rather I go join him and leave this world behind?"

She had so many fae debts, she didn't even know if it was possible to leave. And if it was possible, she had a feeling the Erlking knew what she truly considered home.

• Smug
Midir didn't smile over the rim of his cup. He didn't smirk, either. But there was a sharpening to his whole expression and a glint in his eyes that suggested she was going down a very interesting, very dangerous topic of conversation. He dropped his eyes a moment later as if considering the liquid in his cup. He swirled it once then took a sip and set it down before picking up his knife and fork and returning to the slow cut of his meat.

"If that is what you'd like, Fraeya darling," he purred and then lifted a morsel of food to his lips and took a dainty little bite. "After all, you made our bargain for a favour. And a favour from me does not carry the same weight as a favour from other fae," he watched her carefully now as though her next move would interest him greatly.

"You could go home. Live a normal life. Your debts, gone. Would you like that?"

• Cthulhoo rage
A small bristling at the term darling. A narrowing of green that looked luminous in the moon above. The knife still stabbed into the table. She considered the Alder King silently. The mark along her neck almost seemed to tingle as if it was considering her, back.

Fraeya didn't know what normal was. Normal was her current life. Even though she'd only spent a few days with Cassian and the others, she'd never quite felt like she belonged. She'd seen it in her brother's eyes when he first saw her. Even in Lexi's.

Fraeya was viewed as an other. A slightly wild thing.

Would she appreciate her debts gone?

Yes.

Was there something more she wanted?

Yes.

"I would like something more than that," she said carefully and reached forward, taking her own goblet up and downing the liquid in one gulp. Hunt Book help her.

• Sip
I would like something more.

Ah, mortals. There was always something more they wanted. Once one desire or curiosity had been met they invented a new one, aimed higher and higher until the sun they desperately sought to touch burnt them. It was how the fae thrived. One little taste was all it took. One offer. Then the addiction started. He should hardly be surprised that Fraeya suffered from it worse than others having lived among the fae her whole life.

He kept his face smooth as he quirked a single brow.

"And what could matter more to a human who has dreamed of being rid of us for the past 20 years? Gold? Power?"

• Cthulhoo rage
For the first time since he'd come to retrieve her, a look of true offense crossed her fair features. For as much as he knew about her it was like he didn't know her at all. She set the wine goblet down. Gold didn't interest her. And power...not the kind of power he was thinking. And perhaps there was once a time when she would've lobbied for all changelings to be released and safe passage out of the fae realms, if they so desired.

Or for help with humans in the other courts, or even the ones in this court that were mistreated and easily overlooked, like she'd been so long ago. That very sentiment had very nearly gotten her killed before he could come and claim this night.

But none of that mattered if what she'd seen from the oracles in the south came true. Did he know what was coming? Had he been alive before the creation left The Book?

"I want to be able to keep the Book of the Hunt and The Lists from ever becoming corrupted. To be able to protect the balance they keep. To have the ability to truly do that."

• Wonder
Both brows climbed into the Erlkings white hairline and looked as though they would have climbed higher if they could.

"I don't know whether to be flattered," he said lightly as he slowly set down his goblet. "Or insulted," a cold fury crept into his words though his face remained blank of all expression and hint of his true feelings. What her words suggested was that the books and lists were not balanced now. That they had been corrupted. A thought that was... well it was probably the highest treason there was in the Autumn Court. Nobody. Nobody. Could alter the Lists or the Book. They had been created eons ago when the fae were far more powerful than they were now to act as a check on all of their people.

It would take the hand of God to change them.

• Scared
If she could read Midir’s mind, she’d speak up about how the lists weren’t corrupted now. But they could become so. At least, according to the oracles. And from what she’d seen.

Sometimes she forgot that fae had been alive for so long they tended to get stuck in the ways of ‘well, this is the way it’s always been done.’ And dismissed change. But she couldn't read his mind even as she felt the shift in his demeanor. And it wasn't that she heard it. It was a feeling.

Perhaps it was the bargain between them?

A frown flitted across her lips.

And maybe what surprised her the most was that he didn’t deny that he’d be able to give her the power she knew she’d need to protect the book and the balance it protected.

"What," she began trying to choose her words carefully, "would I have to gain by asking this of you? It would be easier to ask for something else. To ask for those gold and riches. To ask for my debts to be cancelled."

A pause, wondering if it would be better just to do that now. But Fraeya wasn't one to give up. She couldn't give up after what she'd seen. Even if it meant damning her soul to the devil sitting before her.

"If there was a way to show you what I've seen," her voice trailed off. Unless he could get a glimpse into her mind. Another temptation to walk away.

• Devil
"Exactly. What would you have to gain?" Favours for selfless reasons were not how the fae worked. His gift, his bestowing of a favour, that was for her. It was not to be frittered away on a pointless wish that would result in nothing. His fingers drummed once against the table as he scrutinized her, trying to see below the surface and into her mind when she herself brought it up.

A blonde brow lifted.

"If you invite me, I can see anything you wish for me to see," the smile that curved up his lips was far from trustworthy.

• Nervous
Oh shit.

She really wanted to sink off her chair and hide under the table below. It wasn't that she had ulterior motives for her favor. She really did want to protect the balance of this world. Because she knew what would happen if the Oracle's visions became true. Her brother and Lexi would die.

Many of the fae would die.

Courts would be wiped out.

And Arethil would be plunged into darkness like it had never seen before all when the war started. And war was coming. She had no doubt about that.

But the thought of the Alderking in her mind? It made her blood run frigid.

"And if I don't invite you?"

She didn't know if she could answer his first question. Explain it in a way that he could understand. It's like when she'd made the bargain to be traded for the sick human in the viper pit. They'd thought she was crazy. Nothing in it for herself with the high chance that she would perish and they wouldn't lose a servant.

This? This was a chance to be part of something bigger. Even if it wasn't directly for herself.

• Devil
Midir's smirk deepened.

"I could always use force but..." the smirk disappeared and was replaced by a thoughtful expression instead as he swirled his goblet and took another sip. "I find that sometimes bits of information can get hidden through outright fear," it was always better to be welcomed into another persons mind. Each was unique and only the person who possessed their own mind could navigate it blindfolded.

"So how badly do you want to show me what you've... seen?"
He mused.

• Thoughtful
Verdant eyes stared at him across the space of the table. Moonlight catching in her gaze. He and she both knew a bargain was a bargain. She didn’t have to show him anything. As soon as the sun came up he’d have to honor her wish.

But.

If she was to survive what was coming….if they all were to, she’d need him as an ally. Not an enemy.

“Another bargain then?” She broke his gaze and looked at the glittering ocean beyond the unspeaking servants. “I’ll show you what I’ve seen is to come, let you into my head to see that one vision, for another favor.”

• Devil
Midir snorted.

"Nice try, little Songbird," he shook his head. Favours from the Erlking were rarer than snow in midsummer. That Freaya had had one from him already in her short life was quite the envious miracle and something many inside and outside his court would have killed to have. To give her two? It would have doomed her life as well as his own reputation.

"If you believe what you have seen is really important to the future of the Autumn Court - a Court you apparently want-" his eyebrows rose as a clear testament to how much he believed that - "then why would you not just show me? Some might consider keeping such information from me... treason."

• Cthulhoo rage
A slow pan of her gaze back to the Autumn Court King's scrupulous face. A light shrug of her shoulders. It was a testament to this court that she tried it at all. A sign that, unfortunately for her, Autumn lived in her very bones, though human they may be.

"Fine." Teeth grit and her fingers curled, holding onto the edges of her seat as if she'd suddenly find herself launched into the air. "You have my permission to see only what the Oracles showed me. Nothing more. Nothing less."

That was it. She just hoped it would all be worth it. Even though she already knew it would be or else she would've gotten up from this seat a long time ago. Left Autumn Court a long time ago.

• Smug