Quest A Howl In the Night

Organization specific roleplay for governments, guilds, adventure groups, or anything similar

Hina

Destiny Reborn
Character Biography
Link
While Hina was out perusing the wares in the market of Elbion, she realized that she was running a little low on the funds she had started with. She had just enough to spend one "more night at the Inn she had been staying at for the last few days. The young woman headed towards the billboard to see if there were any odd jobs she could take on to make some extra cash. Hina got an eerie chill as she read about the events in Lontana which was East of her current location.
"Hina. . ."
"Yeah, we gotta go check it out. I doubt there are very many people who aren't scholars that are willing to see this through."
"Elbion is quite large though, my dear partner. *chuckle* However, now that we've seen it, we cannot let this go unchecked. We should have enough mana between the two of us to make it there if we fly."
"Alright then! Let's Fly!"
Embarking on a quest fills the two with a rush of excitement and is unexplainably refreshing for the pair. They travel a great distance west of the city. As they walked, Hina ponders her feelings for a moment, a haze fills her head as she attempts to remember the sound of a voice. The young woman collected herself and shook her head as her partner went from a small wisp to a bird like creature no larger than a carriage. A short while later, they arrived at the quiant village of Lontana. They landed right outside outside of it as her familiar returned to the form of a small wisp again. The man in question appraoched her and he explained his tale of woe.

Lontana was a nice little town, with good views and even an inn to stay at. At least Sinuhe thought so, because he was blissfully unaware of the rumors that had plagued the town recently. He'd been walking all morning, on his way to a place further East, and was just happy to have somewhere to rest his feet soon.

As he approached the entrance to the town, Sinuhe saw a young woman talking with a man. She looked like a traveler, her clothing different than what was common fashion in this area. Sinuhe was also dressed differently than a villager. His robes were dark and finely made, and he looked more like a Cortosi swordsman from the South, than anything else.

"Hullo there," he said, waving as he approached the two other people. "Are you just arriving at the village, too?"

He was hoping they could walk in together. Finding interesting strangers on the road was the only thing that made traveling alone bearable.

Hina

• Smug
Reactions: Hina
Orak pulled the fabric of her sand-drab scarf tight around her face. It never hurt to be careful. She saw two with a glint in their gaze.

A want in their eyes.

Maybe they would be on the hunt as well.

"Greetings," she said plainly to them each in turn. Looked to the fair elf, and her companion. The wisp she was sure had been a large bird but moments ago. "I am here for the hunt," she looked to the orc boy. "You've not heard then?" she asked with a shift of her spear. "Of what ails this place?" she looked to the small elf woman. "And you?" she jut her head, her red eye regarded her with scrutiny. "Surely you know,"

Hina Sinuhe

• Gasp
Taken aback, Hina reached for her weapon as she was a bit startled but didn't grab it. She sighed in relief as the two green-hued individuals approached her. The whisp telepathically speaks before she explains the situation to Sinuhe.
"Ack!" "Hina, chill they're not hostile." *Sigh*sorry! I haven't had any company on a quest in a very long time. I'm assuming that's what you both came for?" *She turns to the large orc male* "There's a curse of sorts that seems to plague this town and its people. I read that the townsfolk transform into werewolves." *She shivers at the thought*
"I came to investigate and potentially learn something new. I'm also a little low on funds right now, eheh. . ."
"Hina, focus! We're here to dispatch the tortured souls, not for the money"
"Yeah, yeah, I got it. So you think we can trust them? The female looks like she knows what she's doing, but the big guy seems clueless. Depending on their weapons, we might sync well offensively. There's a lot to consider here"
"I can understand your hesitation but I can't feel any hostility towards us, only curiosity and determination. I'm sure we'll be fine. Remember, I'll always have your back."

*While Hina and her partner finish their telepathic conversation, Hina finishes the line about needing the money as the conversations are happening simultaneously to not draw attention to her wisp partner*
"My name is Hina by the way. If we're all here for the same reasons, then it'll be a pleasure working with you both."
*She'll extend her delicate and soft hands. Should they accept they'll notice her firm grip that surprising for someone if her build*

Orrak Lan Sinuhe

Last edited:
  • Popcorn
Reactions: Orrak Lan
You've not heard then? Of what ails this place?"

Sinuhe looked to the newcomer, with her long spear and her stern face. "No," he responded truthfully. "Just a traveler passing through. My guide said this was a welcoming place to stay and rest."

Both the orcish woman that approached them and the young girl spoke of an epidemic that plagued this town. Sinuhe had no reason not to believe them, so he listened well. The orcish woman was obviously a hunter. And the little elf... Well, she could be a hunter to, he supposed.

"Uh, my name is Sinuhe," he said, grabbing one of the offered hands. "This is all news to me. I don't know much about fighting werewolves, but I'll try not to get in the way."

He was being modest. The long scar across one side of his face that resembled claw marks, and the ornamented sword resting at his hip, told a different tale.

Hina Orrak Lan

• Popcorn
Orak's eyes narrowed. "You have quite the blade, to be so modest, boy," her gaze scrutinized. "All the same, if you stay, you best be ready to fend off the wolf cursed,"

She looked to the otherone. young, flighty. What was she doing hunting such dangerous game?

"Do you know how to kill, a werewolf?" she asked flatly. The question aimed at them both. She accepted Hina's handshake after the young one gave his own. "I am known as Prowler." she said, and would not reveal her face. "Come then, I would hear what you know before we set to this task in earnest," made the eventual dying a little less of a surprise.

Hina Sinuhe

• Nervous
"I'm glad we're well acquainted now."
She smiles at the two and answers the woman known as "Prowler" in turn.
"I know I may not look it, but I am a mercenary. Although I am more than capable of many forms of combat, I do prefer long range over short range. Don't worry, I very rarely miss my targets and you won't have to worry about any friendly fire. Now, about the werewolves. . . I know a few methods of subduing or completely demolishing them, but I'm not sure what these transformed citizens are capable of. What method do you all suggest?"
When stating that she prefers long range, she summons her bow-shaped pact weapon, hopefully insinuating her magical prowess. It then dissipates in a cloud of smoke. As Hina mentions what to do about the werewolves, she elegantly pulls a silver-tipped arrow from her quiver and ponders with it held between her index and middle fingers. Afterwards, she debriefs the two on any information that hasn't already been mentioned.
"This quest- I mean gentlemen who sent the request is who you should talk to for further info."
"Nice save, Hopefully the skeptical one will come to see you as a dependable ally in due time. I don't doubt either of their skills, most likely I'll have to sit this one out."
"Don't count your chickens before they hatch Sabre."

• Yay
Sinuhe smiles blankly back at the two women, not feeling very acquainted at all. One who would not say her name or show her face, and one who clearly had a deeper undercurrent of magic to her. Then again, he hadn't said much about himself to these two strangers, either.

"You have quite the blade, to be so modest, boy,"

A huff of air blows out his nose and past his tusks. Sinuhe closes his eyes against the accusation. "Just means I know a good blacksmith." Looking back up at the Prowler, he levels his yellow eyes at her. "I'll send her your compliments when I see her next."

The young woman, Hina, explains the situation in more depth. He startles some when the bow and quiver are summoned out of thin air. Is this what it was like, the closer one got to Elbion? His brows furrow at the thought, but he pushes it aside and speaks up again.

"The idea of killing citizens without cause doesn't sit well with me, even if they are afflicted." Sinuhe crosses his arms in front of him, hooking one finger under his chin. "I'd rather confirm these rumors before we acted. Especially if its the word of one man against a village."

Hina Orrak Lan

• Yay
Reactions: Orrak Lan and Hina
"I understand your conncern. Taking lives without a legitimate reason does seem rather arbitrary. However, we should be prepared for anything. Our own safety as well as this. . .uhh. . ."
She pauses for a moment. Hina seems to have drawn a blank on how to describe the man who requested assistance. *to self*"I swear Hina, sometimes I worry about your lack of social skills." *to Hina telepathically* "The proper word to use here would be 'individual' as we don't have any other prior info to go off of other than his appearance. We don't want to assume anything."
"...lovely individual should be our priority."
She finally spits out awkwardly.
"Are either of you familiar with this area or have a large amount of tracking experience? I agree that further investigation is needed. If that's cool, I mean, I'm also open to any suggestions you two may have."
Towards the end of her pondering, Hina realizes that she isn't really in charge of anything and that these are real individuals. Sheathing the arrow, the young elf looks towards the other two for their personal input. She feels just a tad guilty for not considering their feelings ahead of time and it shows. However, there isn't any pity in her voice or gestures.

Sinuhe Orrak Lan

• Yay
Prowler looked over the two.

Young.

Inexperienced.

Soft.

She grumbled. At least they seemed to have some sense about them. How much, only time would tell. "I know the region, but not this place, not the town," she leaned her head toward the young man. "Might be best to do as the young man says, gather information, speak to the locals and see what we might discover," she began to walk toward the village before them. Quiet as it was.

Before the entrance of the town there stood a smiling man. Bald with a salt and pepper beard. He stood before an easel, and seemed to be painting them. He waved pleasantly at the band of fate drawn adventurers.

Hina Sinuhe

• Gasp
It seemed they were all in agreement, which was a good start. Sinuhe still wasn't clear on what they were trying to start, but there wasn't another village within walking distance, and he would rather go into this one with two armed hunters than go alone. Just in case the rumor about the werewolves was true.

It was probably just a couple of werewolves, anyway. What were the odds of a whole town becoming afflicted, without word getting out sooner?

Sinuhe nodded at the stranger who called herself Prowler, as she spoke and began to walk down the road.

"You can call me Sinuhe," he repeated his name, giving Prowler a pointed look. It was not actually supposed to be pointed, but his eyes were very yellow, and his face was all scarred up, which lent a certain effect to his looks, regardless of expression.

As they walked, Sinuhe inhaled deeply. All he caught was seaweed baking in the sun, and that sweet, briny breeze that clung to every fishing village. "Werewolves are usually pretty musky. But I can't smell anything with the ocean so nearby," he concluded out loud.

Down the hill, at the gates of the little oceanside village, an older man waved a greeting at them. Sinuhe waved back at him, which was his habit.

"Hello, welcome, hello," the painter responded cheerfully when they got closer. "You lot look like visitors! It is a good day to visit our little town of Lontana. Tell me, where do you hail from, travelers? Have you come to see the sunset? It should be especially lovely tonight. The twin moons will be low and full over the water."

Hina Orrak Lan

• Devil
  • Sip
Reactions: Hina and Orrak Lan
Hina is a bit puzzled. Was she being too expressive? The young woman thought that maybe her flighty disposition gave off a feeling of arrogance or inexperience which may have been off-putting in this scenario. Hina zoned out for a moment and when she came back to reality, she realizes that she's being left behind! Now she really looks unreliable! She walks a bit faster to catch up to the cold-shouldered orc-folk. Finally catching up just in time for her to see the mid-life painter waving to them in a friendly demeaner in a quieter town mentioning that "It's a good day for visitors". In her mind, Hina felt as though there was something truly off and his words made her shudder. However, she did want to see the twin moons over the water. She imagined it would be a lovely sight. Hina smiles and waves back at the man though something felt strange about it.
"Hey partner, I don't really like the vibe here, could you turn into your kitsune form and scout a bit for me?"
"Yeah, I feel it too. I'll scout the immediate area and i'll let you know if I sense anything unusual.""I'd appreciate that, my dear friend."
The wisp would then discreetly stretch into the size of a normal fox except with nine flaming tails. While blue in hue, it is still transparent and hardly visible. It gives a nod and vanishes. Hina then catches up with Sinuhe and walks at his pace, she was still a bit intimidated by their size differences but he seemed a bit more approachable than Prowler.
"Does anything feel kind off to you? The overwhelming scent of the sea, the eerily quiet, yet friendly man? I dunno, maybe I'm overreacting a bit here. It just seems a bit out of place, no?"
As they walked, she would occasionally look around in a specific direction relative to her partner's location. When the time came, Hina had already come up with a hypothetical plan should they need to capture or lure something out of hiding. At this time, the sun is beginning to set and the surrounding area begins to dim.

Orrak Lan Sinuhe

• Yay
Reactions: Sinuhe
Prowler looked over the cheerful man. His toothy grin, the way he just, stood there and painted the scenery. It was odd.

The elf spoke to their companion, a familiar that looked almost to be a spirit, blue and barely there. Had Prowler not been familiar with the magical arts, then she may have been amazed by such a site. But she had seen summons before. Spirits called forth to do the bidding of the caller.

She wondered, was this such a thing?

"It certainly feels, tense," she announced. "Like people are hiding from... something," her eyes cut to the painter as the sky began to darken, the sun slow to descend into the distant horizon across the sea. She chose to march deeper into the town instead.

Ahead, the little blue kitsune creature would not find anything too far out of the ordinary. Save for a few stray stares that seemed to peer from the windowsils.

A mother and daughter were walking on by, and upon seeing the strange apparition, beat a hasty retreat home.

Sinuhe Hina

• Yay
  • Smug
Reactions: Hina and Sinuhe
Sinuhe bid the cheerful painter goodbye, and thanked him for the information about the sunset. The man was odd for sure, but it was the polite thing to do, and one gained nothing from being rude on a first encounter. It was a lesson that his other two companions seemed to have not learned. They both commented on how strange the man was as they walked deeper into town, and Sinuhe worried if the painter was still close enough to overhear them.

He didn't notice the blue fox apparition. Sinuhe was not keen with magic, and could not sense it well. He nodded to Hina as she approached though, and shortened his pace so that she could catch up more easily. "This village relies on travelers coming in to bring goods and news from the outside world. There's plenty to be worried about, if rumors of disappearances have spread all the way to Elbion. I'm sure its affecting trade into the village."

Though it was a good explanation, Sinuhe wasn't sure he believed his own words. As they walked, he noticed that the town seemed sleepy. There should be more people about, even if one only counted the locals. But only a couple of people here and there passed them by on the wide dirt road, and each one seemed to be in an awful hurry to escape the approaching night.

Soon they were in the heart of the town. Taller shops and homes lined the streets, huddled together, separated by narrow alleyways and low stone walls. The building's walls were all plastered in white, which gave the architecture a beachy, pleasant air. The glimmer of the ocean and the sound of waves crashing against rocks could be noticed at the end of the road, which dropped off abruptly into a narrow staircase. The staircase looked like it was carved into the side of a cliff, which must have ended up at the shore the town was famous for.

Sinuhe stopped in front of a large building that looked to be the town's inn. "Well, I only came here to stay the night, werewolves or no." He pointed at the curved archway of the inn's front entry. "I hope you don't mind if I still book a room?"

Hina Orrak Lan

• Yay
"You're right. I never thought about it that way. This town's way of living is also at stake here."
Hina looked around and something still gave her the creeps about the area that surrounded them. Even more so than usual. Her boots clacked against the cobblestone beneath them and she headed towards a peculiar marking on the side of a wall before a narrow alleyway. As she runs her hand against the it, Sinuhe speaks to her again. "Well, I only came here to stay the night, werewolves or no. I hope you don't mind if I still book a room?"
Hina studied the markings on the stone. They cut really deep into it and it looks like whatever made these markings had to have been struggling. Sinuhe's words finally snap her out of it and she turned to see him pointing towards the entrance of the Inn. She looked back at the markings, and then the archway and then back again. "Oh, yes, absolutely! I'm sorry, to drag you into whatever craziness I'm here for. However, you are still welcome to join the investigation after you check into you room if you'd like."

Just then, her partner reappeared and reported nothing strange or out of the ordinary. Just a concerned mother and her child. Hina nodded and then pointed to the claw marks she discovered. Afterwards she asked Sabre to stay put and went to get Prowler's opinion on the matter.
"Hey, Prowler! I found these markings on the side of a stone wall over there. I think it would be an important point of interest for us to look into further. Could I ask your thoughts on it?"
She then proceeded to walk into the direction of her discovery as the "apparition" stood vigilant and eloquently next to them. Should prowler choose to follow, Hina will take a few steps back after reaching the sharp grashes of stone missing from the wall curious as to what will be said.

• Yay
Prowler had been snooping around the streets. Spear on her shoulder, she saw a man, who had been staring at her, his face hidden. His eyes widened when he noticed that she had noticed him, and he hurried away.

Down the stairs that lead to the beach.

She could hear the crunch of a crashing wave as it washed across the sand. Gulls cried on high, and a cool breeze swept through.

Hey Prowler!

The mercenary turned to meet the young woman's gaze. "Yes?"

She explained, and the mercenary moved to examine the markings. Her eyes followed its trace. Noticed the angle and direction, saw prints not far off.
"Wolf prints," she said as she bent low to the print, and put her fingers in the well. "Big, wolf prints," he tracked forward, found the front leg prints. "The forelegs are different," she splayed her hand wide, and fit the tips into the divots in the sandy dirt. "Hand shaped," she smirked. "Good find, Hina," she pointed forward, down an alleyway. "They lead down there,"

She rose up, and looked over toward the staircase where the man had fled. It was well away from this alleyway. She nod, and motioned toward the shaded path before them. "Might be more clues if we follow this trail," she informed. "Where is the other one?" she asked, and looked around.

Hina Sinuhe

"I'm right here," Sinuhe said with a huff as he rounded the corner of the alleyway. He had just come back from speaking to the innkeeper. It was a small town with a narrow main street, so it hadn't been hard to find the two women again.

"Something just happened that I can't help but be suspicious of. A man at the inn got up suddenly and left when I entered. He looked rather upset to see me, though I didn't say a word to him. And..." Sinuhe scowled, face twisted with a hard look. "Even the ocean couldn't cover up the smell of dog on him."

Whatever wrath that had crossed Sinuhe's features melted away quickly into embarrassment. His ears flushed darker at the tips and he cast his yellow eyes downward. "But I didn't see which way he went, sorry..."

Hina Orrak Lan

Hina blinked at the orc's slight embarrasment.
"I think we found a clue that may lead us to what we're looking for! I'm sorry about your room though."
She looked at him empathetically, and then turned her body to follow Prowler down the dark alleyway with her eyes still fixed on Sinuhe as she urges him to follow with her familiar. She looks away as her swaying hair -only tied to be removed from her face- flowed elegantly in the night like curtains of an open window.
"I'm coming Prowler!" She exclaims loud enough to be heard by the intended party, but soft enough to not disturb anyone sleeping. Her shoes still clack against the stone as she echoes down the dark alley following their clues.

Last edited:
Prowler had already moved after the prints. Her heightened hearing heard some of what Sinuhe had said.

"The smell of dog," she thought aloud, and smiled beneath the wrap of her cloth. "Could it all really be so easy?"

I'm coming, Prowler!

She stopped and look behind her. Nod to them both, and waited for them to catch up.
"Let's try and move quietly," she went back to tracking down the alleyway. Saw hints of hair here and there. Another set of claw marks in the soft sandy soil where brick had been removed. "They will already be able to smell us long before they can hear us," she half laughed. "No need to give them more advantage,"

Eyes looked out from the nearby places. Out windows, from round the corner of a building.

A stone fell from the rooftop of a nearby home. Prowler's eyes cast up. There was a young man, with an angry look twisting about his face. Orcish. Prowler's eyes were wide as they took in his features.

A stone in his hand. He flung it down at them. "Get out of here you bastards!"

Hina Sinuhe

Apparently they were stalking down an alleyway, now. Sinuhe nod his understanding as the Prowler urged silence while they followed the trail. He would have much preferred going back out to the main street, where they were less likely to be mistaken as trouble-makers.

A stone clattered down right in front of Sinuhe's boots. Startled, he took a step back and glanced upwards to follow the arc of the projectile. Upon the roof of an nearby building stood a young orcish boy, his tusks barely grown in. Sinuhe raised his hand up and shielded his eyes as the boy dropped more stones and pebbles down upon them. His child's strength made most of the rocks chunked harmlessly to the ground.

"We mean no harm," Sinuhe called up to the child, not harsh in his tone, but firm. "Lontana has long been known as a resting spot along the coast. Is this village not used to seeing travelers?"

Hina Orrak Lan

• Bless
"The devil 's all tha' racket?"
From what could generously be called a "bed" a man who could generously be called "homeless" rolled over and looked down the alley he was currently trying to get something that might generously be called sleep in.
He saw four figures and didn't know them. Looked like... one, two Three Orcs... maybe? (His one eye was still a bit bleary with his sudden waking) and an elf? skinny human? glowing, dog, thing?
With a huff he got himself up and wrapped his manky cloak about himself, straightened his eye patch and blew into his hands while rubbing them to keep the cold from his fingers. It didn't work. His clothes were old and worn. His purse all but empty and the funk of not being able to wash in well over a year clung to him like dirt, which he also had plenty of.
His mind asked slow questions as it woke.
Why was that young buck up on the roof?
Those folk are armed, shit are they muggers?
He stopped and examined his potential exits then he remembered he had nothing worth mugging and continued on. Looked like they were being hassled by the buck. What for he couldn't know but he knew one thing. Wee shite should be at whatever he calls home and not picking fights with the armed and dangerous looking sort.
"The feck ya doin up ere?" He asked the buck on the roof while waving his hand dismissively.
"Ave ye no bed ta go ta? Away, afore I fetch yer Ma and she can bate ya all the way home?"
It was a bit of a bluff, he was betting on the shock of his candor and how the small town type was to do the work in the bucks mind more than actually finding the bucks mother to grass him up.

Hina Orrak Lan Sinuhe

• Haha
Following Prowler through the alleyway, her wisp spoke to her.
"Hina! Above you!" She glanced up and saw the stones and rocks being flung at them from above. A larger rock seemed to be headed towards Prowler and Hina quickly ran for her and "blinked" them both out of harm's way. Sinuhe seemed to be doing well not to get hit. The young warlock's face scrunched up in frustration. "That isn't a good idea, it'll only make things worse."
"I know, but-"
She was interrupted by the shouts of a bystander. It seems the commotion woke him up. "Wow, this town really is run down. I guess nothing's as it used to be. . . even here."
The last two words were said under her breath as she mouthed "thank you" to the man in the alleyway just trying to sleep. There was a point in her life where she had to live in such wretched conditions, however short it was. She sympathized with the man and blinked again just shy of 5ft to avoid the rocks. She crouched down with the small wisp hiding behind her and gave the man whatever small amount she had left in her coin pouch. "Thank you for your help. Your deeds won't go unnoticed. I know it's not much, but it's all I have left. Please accept it as a token of my gratitude."
Hina knew she was breaking one of the unsaid rules of her line of work, but felt as though she could make an exception, just this once. After a short conversation, she hurried back to meet with her companions using a simple spell ,"ascendant step", to stop her shoes from hitting the cobblestone until she hit the sand. The salty breeze brushed through her hair like a distant memory passing through as she looked solemn for but a moment, she stopped and took in the sight of the moon as it glistened in the night. The water moved and shone, twinkling like the night sky. She breathed a sigh of relief while walking up to Prowler and Sinuhe.
"Do either of you happen to have a connection to the small one who decided to toss chunks of the earth at us?" Her tone was curious and not in the slightest malicious or angry, but rather forlorn and innocent as she started to breathe heavily.

Last edited:
  • Yay
A rock clunked against Prowler's head. Cut the skin and let a trail of blood run from the open wound. Small as the boy was, dropping stones from such a height had its perils. Thin as they might be.

Prowler cleaned the blood from her brow as the young orc tried to speak reason to the child, and another man barked his warnings to the boy.

"To hell with you!" the boy shouted again, his eyes sharp with fear as he grabbed up another stone when the beautiful woman blurred by, fast as a bolt. It was almost as if she moved at the blink of an eye.

His arm stilled, and he heed the words that had been sent his way. Saw that the one with cloth wrapped about their visage had blood run down their face. He grumbled, unsure, and scurried away. Vanishing across the rooftops.

Hina asked her question. Prowler shook her head, as she pulled her cloth hood free, and revealed her face and the blackberry tangles and strange that spilled down to frame her features. "No," she informed, and tied back her hair. A sharp whistle called out to the man who'd interceded on their behalf. "You, from this place?" she asked.

A wolf's howl came up into the cold night. And some of the windows of those houses and buildings about them began to come alive with the orange glow of fire, and the long shadows of the people who lived inside them.

• Sip
  • Yay
Reactions: Caits and Hina
More rocks fell and more people reprimanded the young boy, and Sinuhe could not help but feel that the matter was quickly getting out of hand. Oddly enough though, things resolved themselves with little fuss soon after. Perhaps it was the appearance of the grimy-looking stranger that broke the tension and let them leave the alleyway.

The houses stopped and the ocean began, quite abruptly. They ended up only a few yards away from where they had been, waves licking at the sand that crunched beneath boots.

Hina asked after the young boy on the roof, and Sinuhe shook his head in response. "He was wearing Zu'dagh colors, a large tribe in this region. But I have no contacts with them." It seemed like a useless answer, even as he said it. So he fell silent and let others speak for a moment.

He noticed that the Prowler's cut was still bleeding. Sinuhe frowned at the sight as she pulled her hood back, but knew better than to say anything about it. If she was half the hunter she looked, then bringing up concern over such a small wound would only insult the woman.

Instead, he turned to frown at the sparkling waters. It was nearly impossible to track anything along the shore, and he hated how the smell of saltspray stuck in his nose. Perhaps it wasn't too late to turn back around and spend a pleasant night inside a warm inn.

Hina Caits Orrak Lan

• Smug
Caits was going to let it be. Honest. Money was nice and he could sleep in his ditch in peace now. Get food in the morning, hot food. This was a good deed rewarded. Nice and simple.
"You, from this place?"
He wasn't.
"I'm not. Jus landeh in. You lot er nae from ere tho. Ya lost?"
His face screwed up as he spoke and he idly reached up a grimy finger to scratch under his eye patch as he spoke. The coins were gone from view, vanished upon his person soon as he had them.
The thought struck him as he stood with them on the beach watching the night begin.
"Ya need a guide?"

Hina Sinuhe Orrak Lan

• Bless