Fable - Ask A healing flame

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first
Thraah considered the question seriously.
She had only seen being a Dreadlord as a means to financial stability. Never as a duty or a career to be taken seriously.
Attend, graduate, easy living.
Her mind had simplified the plan to an almost absurd degree.
"Not like the others. I mean. I'm not in it to be an Archon or nuthin. I just..."
She gestured to the attic space. The old wood, rusted hinges of the window and to an extent the larger poverty it conveyed.
"I wanna get us out of here. Somewhere decent like and that takes money and a military commission will get me money so."
And that was it, there was no real secret in it. Only the fear that anyone might ask about her poverty or family. They did not even have a last name in this country.

Perrine Urahil

Perri nodded, thinking to herself for a moment.

"Despite this Republic, you need to be ready. To kill. Whether they test you before graduation or after, you need to prove you can be a good soldier. That has never changed with the Revolution. I think... you have a lot to learn still. The offensive stuff, there is no doubt you can handle yourself, but what if you were to face off against someone like Leander, nullifying magic?" Perspective, it was about time Thraah began to understand what was at stake now.

If she was the only one to do this for her family, then she needed to understand what it meant to keep it that way.

"I know I am privileged and protected, but your family rely on you. What if you cannot cut it? What then? Will you join the Guard?"

They were away from the Academy, away from the other Proctors and Initiates. She needed to know that they would all survive this one day.

Thraah

• Frog Sweat
Reactions: Thraah
Thraah's face went from passive to startled to angry in the blink of an eye.
"YOU THINK I DON'T KNOW THAT???"
Her heart exploded and took her mouth with it. She stood and began to stare at the floor, pacing two steps then back in the cramped attic.
"I had to learn to read and write in a MONTH or I wasn't even getting accepted. I spent a YEAR living in a dark, WINDOWLESS cell before I even KNEW I could ask for another room! I, I PUT UP, with LEANDER and GARRICK and their bullshit, day in day out because I can't start anything with them because if I put them in line MY FAMILY looses, nobody will miss the poor kid from The Knives but Heaven forbid if one of the poor upstarts gives Leander fucking Urahil a bloody nose he more than earned!"
Thraah stopped and conjured a small flame in the palm of her hand. Staring at it like it was speaking to her.
"If I flunk out? Yeah I'll join the guard. If I loose this..."
She closed her hand and snuffed out the fire.
"I'll work security at Anir-ball games."
She sat neck down on the edge of the wide bed.
"At least I'll be closer to home then."
There was a note of defeat in her voice. She was tired, tired of being questioned and tired of missing home.

Perrine Urahil

• Stressed
Reactions: Perrine Urahil
Perrine's eyes fell onto the flame Thraah held in hand, her face impassive as the Initiate had blown up. She thought it best not to mention Leander had bouts like that on the rare occasion, but instead, took a deep breath as she turned her face back to the child in her arms. Perrine was nearing physical exhaustion, but she knew her progress with the healing of each child was well on the way of getting back to full health. It was draining work, but she had endured.

"Fall to your friends, Thraah." She said in a quiet, small voice. It was hushed, doing her best to be calm when a child was before her. "Caddel. The Luanas. Those who have been at the Academy for long, they can help you hone your skills. But if you want to learn other ways, then I bring forth the offer I gave you on the carriage ride here. You have a talent outside of combat, and even that could save your life." The ability to read an oponents movement could prove fruitful for the likes of Thraah. It was a way to get her to build confidence in herself, to construct the will to be determined to be better before the ending year came upon them.

Thraah

• Spoon Cry
Thraah sat on the bed and listened, she really listened this time.
Her eyes fell onto her sisters who already looked more at ease.
She re-applied fresh cool rags to them, touching the excess water on their still warm cheeks.
"You mean Anir-ball or lock-picking?"
She knew of course what Perrine meant. Connections were important, even Thraah knew that. She felt like teasing a little.
She watched Perrine get tired, more and more tired as she pushed herself and realised that neither of them seemed to sleep very much the night before.
"Stay for food. It's shardrish. My mom makes it, it's like a spicy goat stew. You'll love it."

Perrine Urahil

• Bless
The lock picking got a small smile out from the Healer, just as she lifted her hands from the child.

Immediately she ran her hands over her face, brushing back her unbound flaxen hair, and sighed heavily. Her eyes glistened, and she took a deep breath in before letting it loose slowly overtime.
"My House would not make things worse if I stayed, will it?" She turned to the Initiate, looking nothing like the put together Proctor for Etiquette.

This was the Perrine she had been for years, the overworked Dreadlord Healer. She could not fathom moving too far in this state, needing only a short while to recuperate enough energy to call for her carriage to take her to the medical barracks.

• Wonder
"Wellllll ya kinda said it already so the damage is done I guess. Momni will get over it, this..."
She gestured to her sleeping sisters.
"... this is everything to us right now."
Thraah lifted one of the last fresh, cool rags and rung it out into the bucket before offering it to Perrine.
"And you look a bit like shit. This really takes it outta you huh?."
The barriers were melting away.
The only one left was the one that had nothing to do with class or society.
"Do you want children?"

Perrine Urahil

• Ooof
Perrine laughed, half heatedly, but it still brought a beauty and life to her exhausted features. "I have managed three hours of sleep in the past four days. Being out on missions and being a Proctor... that takes it out of me." Only last night, creative muse came to her and she had realised she had begun to miss seeing the face of a dear friend she had made.

Then came the question that used to fill her with dread, but the way Thraah posed it, it was not asking to do her duty as a noble daughter. It was her own thoughts.
"I would like to, one day. That would mean having to find someone to marry, as I would hate to leave it up to my father and the other figure heads of my House to choose my future for me... but you can imagine this type of work leaves no room for such thoughts. Many Dreadlords do not survive, and I do not think I can handle that type of loneliness." Her own mother leaving kept playing in her mind. To raise a child on her own meant falling back onto the Urahils.

"Do not try to set me up with anyone either. Leander tried that many times and... I was never really interested in pursuing anything."
Perrine gave Thraah a sad, exhausted look. "And you? If life called to you in such a way, would you bring a child into this world?" Into Aniria? She left that unsaid.

Thraah

• Scared
"Pfft, Leander, what a boob. I can imagine the kind of stuck up jerks he'd pick for you."
Thraah saw a face when Perrine turned her own question on her and shook her head to clear it, she heard a name and hummed it away.
She did not have time to really think about such things. There was work to do and in her own wild way she was devoted to her task. Although it wasn't true that she NEVER thought about it.
Her own family was abundant to say the least. Perrine had not even met the twins and that's not counting all the ones back in the Empire.
She always just kinda figured it would, happen.
Which seemed suddenly very silly.
"I guess so. But I gotta graduate first, without prospects boys ain't exactly knocking on my door to court me."
Thraah would not admit to feeling any jealousy over anyone but it would be a lie if she did not feel a pang of envy at Liv's clearly active love life. Even if Love had little to do with it.

Perrine Urahil

Perrine stifled a laugh, not feeling the need to correct Thraah in her thinking. Leander respected his cousin enough to talk about men she would have gone for, if not for the fact she were an active Dreadlord in duty, and they being all noble men. To be pulled away all the time meant less time for a family, for bonding.

Instead, she listened to the Initiate.

"Does not matter what you bring to the table. You are a standalone at the Academy. I am sure someone will hear about your magical prowess one of these days. We just need to hone it, train you up in other aspects too. Lean on your friends. You have Maseno Luana and Zephyrine Caddel. Between those two, I am sure you will be excellent with your improvements."

Thraah

• Frog Cute
She had to name those two again.

*BADUMPUMP!*
Her mind was flooded with the soft sharpness of ahdrenal bloodflow. The kind that brought the whole world into a kind of looking glass closeness.

Why didn't she go to Maz or Zeph with this, or anything?
They had both been really good to her and lately, she felt like she had been less than who they deserved.
"Standalone, yeah that's me..."
Her body let out a low huff of a laugh.
It was hard not to feel like she had to do it all on her own and the pressure she gave herself, one a purely contextual level, was something she could understand but all the same. Putting it into practice. Actually reaching out to people.
There was a reason Thraah had been a relative nobody until the night of the Dance. Her attempts at getting friends were... pretty fucking terrible before Maz.
Even Z kept his distance usually.
She didn't blame him, she knew she was all too eager to pick a fight and keep one going. She had a lot to prove.
"How do you know when it's okay? To call on people like that I mean. Like, Maz and Zeph have their own shit. I don't want to add to it with mine. They shouldn't have to carry my weight."

Perrine Urahil

• Bless
Perrine snorted.

"Call it a transaction then. They teach you something, you teach them something in return. Now... I do not listen to gossip, but it always reaches my ears. Your little row with Caddel, if you make amends, I am sure she will be interested in teaching you how to fight with weaponry. You have great instinct and reflex, Thraah, perhaps you can improve. There is always something to learn from others."

Perrine was not sure there was much she could impart to Thraah, unless she wished to learn basic healing the medics would learn in their first year.

"We should let your sisters rest. Tell your parents that the illness is gone now, and that their bodies are in need of rest and nutrients as they recover." She brushed the soft hair from one of the girl's foreheads, smiling down at the sleeping child. "I can give you this day and the next with your family before I am to take you back to the Academy."

Thraah

Thraah gave a heavy sigh and rubbed her neck, the tired was catching her bad now.
"You heard about that? Look I didn't mean to hurt anyone, that Elias guy just pissed me off and I only tagged along cause I didn't want her to be alone in a new place..."
She threw herself back and lay across the bottom of the bed, looking up at the ceiling. She'd long ago memorised every beam and nail.
"You're right, don't tell anyone I said that but... you are. I'll make it up to Zeph when we get back."
She perked up again as Perrine told her she had some time.
"Wait, that's it? They're gonna be okay?"
Her joy could be felt in the gentle waves of heat coming from her.

Perrine Urahil

Last edited:
  • Aww
Perrine kept her lips shut, not wanting to pry when she was under the assumption Thraah insisted on going also only to not be left behind by the other Initiate. All matters pertaining to the Academy were forgotten once attention was back onto the girls.

"Yes... it is important they get plenty of food and rest, but I have eliminated the very thing that afflicted them." Perrine could have very well healed all three to full health, but she did not need an Initiate to see her become so drained and exhausted. "Here. Give me your hand.... I can show you how I heal."

And if Thraah were to place her hand in Perrine's, the Proctor would have her free hand rest on the cheek of one of Thraah's younger sisters. Thraah would feel the recovery, the strength in their lungs now and the steady rhythm of their heartbeat.

"It was quite a persistent illness... something I admit I needed to learn to combat, to work out how to eliminate it. You know, I honestly would have loved to teach healing and all that instead of etiquette, but it was safer for me to teach something mindless to you Initiates. I am only there temporarily, and I daresay you all would not miss me if the class was to end suddenly."

Thraah

• Frog Eyes
She COULD feel it. The easy breathing and strong heartbeats.
A great half-laugh of a sigh came from her.
It was done, her sisters would be okay.
Suddenly, Thraah did not want to return to the Academy.
Two days was not enough, not enough to see them up and happy again.
All she wanted in that moment was to hold them and sleep.
Perrine's statement caught her off guard. That pang of guilt for all the guff she caused in the fancy class came back.
"I'll miss you. Sure, it kinda sucks to learn about forks. Like, just use a fork yaknow but after this, I don't want you to go."
She didn't. Really didn't.
It was odd, she had grown used to the idea that Nobles could be okay but Urahil's all seemed like well dressed turds. It was easier to not think of Perrine in those terms now.
She was Perrine, she was the healer. That was more than enough.

Perrine Urahil

• Wonder
"I could not very well have you all learn first aid and the human anatomy, only to have a medic take over. My magic had helped me understand that there are several weak points to the human body, and many of you would benefit from learning how to bring down an opponent with or without a weapon." Perrine mustered up some strength to begin cleaning up her kit, spying a few bottles of a particular blend.

"Here. Keep these close. It usually helps with a flu or a cold, but in the recovery state of your sisters, we should eliminate any chances of other illnesses trying to take advantage of their weakened selves right now." The Healer set the vials aside before closing the box and fastening the closures. "Once a day, for three days should suffice."

Thraah

Thraah took the bottles and set them by the bed then stood up, her face full of serious resignation.
"Okay, stay here. I'm getting you some food and telling my folks the girls are gonna be okay."
Before turning she fixed Perrine with a stern look. The kind that said, I'm doing this for you so accept it.
She descended the ladder deftly as she had done thousands of times before and from below Perrine could hear her speak.
Then came cries, the unapologetic tears of relief as they learned the good news.
A form breached the trapdoor then. It was not Thraah, she was still explaining things, this was the Elf mother come to confirm what she had heard.
Again her tallness filled the space of the attic and in the deep shadows her eyes were ominous dots of light that glanced over Perrine before her children. She took slow and deliberate steps towards the bed and spoke without looking at Perrine.
As usual, her words were thick with her Imperial accent and tinged with a marveling sense of the unreal.
"My children will live?"

Perrine Urahil

• Derp
Perrine had closed her eyes for what seemed like a moment, only to open the periwinkle coloured eyes and turn to see elven woman come to tend to her children. Waiting a beat, Perri adjusted her seating and nodded. "Finding afflictions are hard, but fending them off even harder. They are going to need their strength to recover fully. Monitor their breathing, their energy. I can give Thraah the rest of the day and tomorrow to spend time with your family before I am to return to the Academy with her."

The Healer did her best to look alert and not so exhausted, still watching Thraah's mother. "My magic eradicates sickness, slowly but surely. I have not come across this affliction before... but all the same, they will be on the mend now."

She hope Thraah was fetching her a small bowl of food. Just speaking seemed to tire her out, but Perrine could always push herself to the brink of collapse. It was knowing she was capable of weathering this that made her continue to work herself to the bone.

Thraah

The mother nodded as she listened and absorbed what was being told to her.
Her eyes went to each of her daughters then to Perrine.
"You have given my children back to me. Thank you."
Her Imperial accented voice held deep emotion between it's measured tones.

Thraah returned then, clamouring up with a wooden bowl of the stew like dinner she spoke of. A spoon already in the dish.
"Eh, I was only gone a minute Momni, she was so pooped I thought..."
"Ish, Thraah Ish. Chell mek nolvi."
Thraah let out a visible sigh of relief as she handed Perrine the piping hot food.
"There, it's good but hot. Mom was excited with the peppers."

Perrine Urahil

• Bless
Perrine accepted the bowl, glad for the heated wood. She had not realised her body dropped in temperature, but that always came with overexerting herself physically. Magic would keep her alive, but her body did not have to cooperate that way. "Thank you, Thraah."

She waited a minute before tasting, letting the steam warm her face as she had placed the bowl on the floor before her. Inhaling, she delighted in the spices and the overall aroma of the stew. "I do not know what my appetite will be like, but please, thank your Mom." And she now leaned forward, bringing the spoon up to her lips and tentatively sipping the slightly cooled stew. Visibly, her shoulders relaxed, her face softening. "That... that is healing in itself."

The Healer quietly took more spoonfuls, blowing gently at the stew before consuming, impatient to wait for it to cool.

Thraah

• Wonder
Thraah beamed at the praise. Part of her expected Perrine to turn up her nose at the dish.
The habit of assuming an Urahil would be "too good" for the food was hard to shake.
"I will, I'll go tell her now."
With that she about faced and practically vaulted down the trapdoor speaking loud in Imperial Common.
"MAMNA, EES VOLII..."

Again Perrine was left with the Elf Mother.
She returned to her seat and took her own ease, slumping forward in the cramped space. Laying a long hand on the closest of her children she pulled a curl of brown hair from the young ones face.
"When they are old enough, I will tell them what you did and who you are. They are too young to understand the depth of it now."
The babes shifted and turned as if they all had the same unconscious impulse to gather together and slowly shuffled closer together, gathering just off center of the bed closest side to Perrine.
The Mother Laughed at that.
"See, they are already seeking each other. We tried to separate them but they always come together. Like drops of water in a cup."
She spoke with the kind of helpless exasperation that comes with putting up a truly pointless struggle.
Downstairs Thraah could be heard speaking to her other parents excitedly. The Father said something and they both laughed loudly. It was the kind of laugh that was too much of a laugh to be anything more than the relief of much held tension.

Perrine Urahil

• Bless
"Goodness... I would hate to think where I would be or what I am doing by the time these ones grow." Perrine did not have a free future to do as she pleased like Oraya, her cousin, had. She was lower down the pecking order of the Urahils, but her father had no time or effort to become the head of their family. For now, her freedom was still being named Urahil, still part of a family she adored for her own reasons.

"They have a strong bond." The Healer commented. Periwinkle eyes fell on the children, watching them warm each other as Perrine's magic still coursed through them, helping them heal and restore their energies. Once at full strength, she wondered if they would share the same energy as their elder sister Thraah... and the gods help all three parents in wrangling them.

Thraah

• Bless
"Wherever you are, I will tell them to pray for you. As I shall."
The Elf mother looked into Perrine's eyes and with her own dark pupils let her know that she was entirely serious.
"They are special, they will never be alone like other children."
Then, her sharp gaze glittered almost imperceptibly to the trapdoor and she leaned the tall torso of her long frame of the bed and spoke hushed.
"Tell me true. Is Thraah happy, at the Academy? I worry for her so far from us. Does she have people, friends?"
Her tight angled face was full of concern as she spoke.

Below them the talking continued, Thraah sounds as if the words were simply spilling from her mouth unbidden.

Perrine Urahil

• Bless
Perrine's smile was genuine, strained only minorly, but as the Proctor of Etiquette, of course she would have to deal with the brunt of Thraah's antics. "She is. I think she has learned so much more, and gained many friends." Of course, Perrine was not always around to see the fire wielding Initiate, but Perri heard a lot being said in hallways and in classrooms.

"Thraah still has the same spirit I am sure you know well, but when the task asks for her to buckle down and get to it, she is one to support her team. You will all be so proud of her once she graduates. I think she has great makings to become a Dreadlord for Vel Anir." Of course, there was still things to learn, skills to hone before then, but Perrine knew that after today, the Initiate that did not trust her the past day would take her advice seriously now.

Thraah

• Smug
"She has had difficulty, her heart is... powerful. She feels much more than others. Strong, yes but vulnerable. Do you understand?"
The Elf mother stayed over her children like a lizard guarding her eggs.
"I am happy that she has people. It is a terrible thing..."
Again her hand moved and this time stroked the sleeping head of the middle child who huffed and squirmed before settling once more.
"... to be alone."
Her bright eyes caught Perrine's own periwinkle gaze for a meaningful second and at that, the mother leaned back and began to keep watch over her children again, as if even in this rest a terror might assail them.

The talking was now a low murmur below them.

Perrine Urahil

• Bless