Fable - Ask A healing flame

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first
Perrine gave no reason for Thraah to judge her reaction as she spoke where her home was. She did not tell the Initiate it was not her first time in the Elf Quarter. She knew where the Urahils stood when the elves were of concern, but her skillset and role as Healer left no room for choosing her patients.

The Proctor leaned forward to lift up a kit, assessing the items and wares she brought along. It was her way of taking stock mentally what she had, even if she carefully chose and packed the kit before they had left.

"How are you feeling, Thraah? How long has it been since you last saw your family?" She asked casually, periwinkle blue eyes flicking over the contents of the kit. "Can I count on you to assist me upon arrival? Depending on the health of your sisters, I may require some help. Are you able to do that for me?" She could not ask the Academy Driver to find her another medic or Healer on short notice, but it was always best to have another on hand.

Thraah

Thraah kept her stare on Perrine. She was looking for anything, a flicker of the eyes, a twitch of the mouth.
Urahils hated Elf's everyone knew it. Especially when Leander kept shouting about how they were all conspiring to take Anirian women, Anirian jobs and Anirian children.
But Thraah had seen the truth.
It was Elf's who were being taken, raped and left to starve.
Again she almost panicked, this felt so much like a bad idea she wanted to scream, to burn the carriage down. Open the door and run for home, she was so close!
But she had to wait.
The question posed brought her some pause.
"I feel like throwing up and I can't shake the feeling that bringing you here was a bad idea."
She was certain that was not what Perrine wanted to hear but it was the truth. It occured to Thraah that she had the kind of honesty many did not believe.
"I haven't seen them in almost a year. Academy doesn't give much time off."
She cracked her knuckles for something to do but Perrine kept asking her questions.
"Whatever you need I'll do it, just help my sisters."
She almost burst into tears again mentioning them so her eyes turned to outside the carriage. To the streets she knew and grew up in.
They were almost there.
"And don't freak out when you meet my parents."
She was aware that her Parents marriage was completely illegal by Anirian standards in more ways than one but if this path was all Perrine said it was she'd need to keep that to herself too.

Perrine Urahil

• Derp
Reactions: Perrine Urahil
Perrine was torn between wanting to reach out, or roll her eyes at the latter Thraah had uttered.

Instead, she secured her things back away again and regarded the Initiate with a cutting gaze.
"Thraah." She paused. "You do not need to worry about me and what I will think. I do not need to assure you of this, but I have seen worse than the Elf Quarter in Vel Anir. I have been a Dreadlord Healer longer than I have been your Proctor... There are certain behaviours I must upkeep to keep you Initiates in line... somewhat." Of course, there are those who opposed her noble upbringing.

"Before an important game of his career, Slick Beasley was going through the worst moment of his life behind the scenes. Three years ago, you know of the match I am talking about, do you not?"

Thraah

• Gasp
Reactions: Thraah
Of course she knew, Thraah had read every report and article and pulled the ears of every fan in Vel Anir to hear every word ever said about Slick.
"Yeah, when they played against Vel-Torr. He was the best he'd ever been up to that point. He scored three goals of high loop netting nine points in the last third. Practically won the game single handed."
It was the biggest moment in Anir-ball history. Thraah didn't know what Perrine was getting at though. How was the best moment of Slick's life anything but? She had heard nothing about it.
"What do you mean the worst moment of his life?"

Perrine Urahil

• Derp
Perrine sat up straight and smiled at Thraah.

"My father came to learn that Slick Beasly's old Dreadlord unit came under attack, and his best friend did not make it. He found out before the game, and you would not have known otherwise. Not until after the game did he go retire for the night, skipping out on the celebrations. He allowed himself one night to mourn before he was back on the field the next day...."

Perrine watched Thraah closely. "He learned to keep himself in check at the Academy, on the battlefield, and on the Anirball field. Your reactions right now tell me I am about to walk in on something that stresses you. I do not know the nature of it, but if you are going to impress the other Proctors at the Academy, you need to learn to keep things to yourself... because, if I were a different Proctor, a Proctor that taught before the Revolution..." Her light brows furrowed, watching Thraah closely. "I want to see you all be prepared. Whatever may come. Graduating is one thing... but in my time, even the best were not safe." And how she survived was something she never wanted to relive.

Thraah

"Is that what I'm going to get?"
Thraah's voice lowered again her interest sagged as she slumped back into the seat and once more looked out the window.
"One night to grieve my sisters then I need to get back to learning what fork to use!"
She did not hide her bitterness at the thought. Truth be told graduation was a far thought in her mind. She had been passing, barely, in academics and combat and tactics were fine enough but that was locked away from her mind as if it was a dream she had woken from.
"Good to know!"
Her foot began tapping at a furious pace. They're were there, almost, just one street away. Perhaps that's why she suddenly wanted to talk about almost anything else.
"And yeah, I'm worried. I'm worried about my sisters, I'm worried about my mom's and my dad and bringing you here and... Just, don't freak out okay? And fix my sisters. Then it'll be fine. Right now I don't give a barney about impressing Procs or any... DAD!"
Thraah exploded into motion and almost took the carriage door off its hinges as she burst through it into the street and past a short swell of folk to jump hug a short man with receding hair and a thick beard that looked like black wire. He wore loose fitting clothing of dirty yellow and tan and on his left cheek below the eye was a small tattoo of a swallow.
Right before Thraah grabbed him he was hauling a wheelbarrow covered in tarp but he had to stop when his eldest had gripped him tightly.
"Thraah! Koova ana toex!?"
The man said in surprise, speaking Imperial Common.
"Namna, ith braava elkem. Sook!"
Thraah replied pointing back to the carriage. Which had the decency to halt now that one of its passengers had jumped out.
Much of the folk went about their way in the sight of this one or two noticed but no commotion was started.
The street was a slum of hasty built homes that once might have been farm homes until the earth went dry and died. The walls were painted with graffiti and scrawlings, peppered by writs and posters, most of which were so weather beaten it was hard to tell what had ever been written on them. Forgotten was the word for this place. Where the foreign and the unwanted came to eek out a feeble existence in between raids from the Guards.

Perrine Urahil

• Popcorn
Perrine stepped out from the carriage once it came to a stop, not in a rush like Thraah had been. She allowed the Initiate this moment with her father, turning to grab her kits and giving the driver instructions to park the carriage else where and to come get them in a couple of hours.

Finally, she turned away from the black carriage, approaching Thraah and her father, after noting some similarities between them.

"Hello, I am Perrine. A Healer. Your daughter reached out to me to help her sisters... may I see them? I would rather see to them sooner rather than later." As a favour to Thraah, she withheld all titles and her family name. There were plenty of blondes running around Vel Anir that were not connected to the Urahils.

"Shall we?" Perri asked Thraah. "I will need your assistance, please do not forget that." Things to keep Thraah busy depending on the illness her sisters have come under.

Thraah

• Stressed
"Thraah! A healer?"
Her father sounded surprised as he looked at his daughter, they were about the same height and build but his features were different, deeper on his face.
The man gave Perrine a simple nod. He knew better than to keep someone waiting.
"My name is Guraah. Come in, please Miss Perrine."
He's spoke fine Anirian Common but had a strong East Imperial accent that clung to some of his consonants. He took them down the street and all the while Thraah held her breath. This was it, she'd see it soon, see them all most likely.

The home was a single downstairs room with a ladder and trap door leading to the attic. There was a small round table a stone hearth and chimney as well as a few decorations of Imperial design on the wall, some denoted religious significance but others were woven hangings of various designs and sizes. Despite the setting, it was very warm and brightly coloured.
"Hamaah, Ruth-vest"
Guraah spoke to the woman who worked at the hanging stove. She was dirty with soot and ash, feeding logs to the fire. Her face wove confusion until she saw Thraah and leapt to greet her, practically pushing her own husband to the ground.
"Nill hanm sem nah Thraah. Esu Mel, ne havva!"
"Vir, vir Mamna!" Thraah replied and pressed back a hug of her own then turned to Perrine.
"Tillah Perrine, vi sagga elkem ne!"
The woman Hamaah gave Perrine a scrutinising look up and down. She was taller than Thraah by a foot at least and broad. Her hair was the same and tied high as was her face, simply older with the same brown eyes.

Perrine Urahil

• Derp
Etiquette could be utilised in many occasions, such as maintaining composer in environments she was unused to. A pleasant smile on her face, she tried her best to follow the conversation, but her knowledge of foreign tongues only reached that of Cortosi and Kaliti.

"I am a Dreadlord. I have worked with Initiate Thraah many a time. Healers are rare, even now, but I assure you and your family I am one of the best in employment."

Periwinkle eyes flicked to Thraah, her smile turning genuine. "Best we see to your sisters, do you not think, Initiate?"

This was a job, an official hiring to see patients.... but she could not help but see the family dynamic, the love Thraah had for her parents and their true worry and surprise for their eldest daughter.

It was not the first time she had seen another family, but Perrine always ended up comparing her childhood and family to the likes of this homey atmosphere. The Urahils were cold, and Perrine was fashioned that way, to be seen just like them. Hells, Thraah's mother probably already knew who she was just by appearance alone.

Desperately, in that moment, Perrine had wished she truly did not look like the family that she was born into.

Thraah

• Nervous
Thraah did not know how to approach what came next.
She looked to her folks and each of them held worry in their faces. All she could do was pat her mother on the arm and smile as reassuringly as she could. Hamaah did not look so relaxed as she had hoped but it was too late for that now and each of them knew it.
"Okay, come on."
Her voice was serious again as she reverted back to Anirian common and set her travel bag down by the front door. The short trip to the ladder was only a few short feet, ten at most but it felt longer. An ageless eternity of now that filled her with dread. At what she might see and what Perrine might do.
When you have lived on the bottom of the pile, trust for those from higher up could be hard to come by but the need was never greater for her.
She had lost sisters and brothers before, woke up beside them helpless and weeping. Powerless. Now she had power, she had help. She BROUGHT help to them. That was the hope, the trust. She wondered if Perrine knew anything of what was waiting in the crawlspace above.
As Thraah ascended the ladder and opened the trapdoor she saw the grim room above. The only light was coming from a single square glassless window and the only sounds where three sets of laboured breathing that came from a great bed that sat perfectly under it. The Family Bed.
Much of the room was dark and while Thraah stood transfixed on the small bodies that lay in the bed Perrine would be able to make out little save the low roof beams and the two reflecting eyes, like a cat that watched them from a standing position next to the head of the bed under the window.
No, the figure was sitting not standing and they were tall. As they stood their shaded form looked monstrous. Hunched to fit in the beams and the eyes bright despite the gloom. A telltale sign of inhuman darkvision. It took two steps on long spindly limbs, too thin to be strong and yet they supported the great structure of itself.
"Thraah?"
A voice, lilting and feminine came from its lips as it stepped into the light, its imposing silhouette now dashed in the light displayed a face with sharp but friendly features and the long pointed ears of her kind. Her great face, angular and sublime was wracked with redness and tears.
"You should not have..."
The Elf woman did not get a chance to finish as Thraah catapulted herself into her. Gripping her torso with both arms and visibly squeezing her hard. This unabashed show of affection and support earned Thraah a reluctant smile and the elf wrapped her own long limbs about Thraah in turn.
"Thank you child."
While the embrace continued her vibrant eyes fell on Perrine and just as before she was scrutinized though not in the same way as before. This look held the promise of harm much like a bear for her cub. It seemed then that she gripped Thraah just a little tighter before letting her go.
"You are Perrine, the healer."
She left Thraah and approached Perrine letting her height loom a moment while her sharp eyes looked into the periwinkle of Perrine's own as if looking for some hidden intent. It would be easy for Perrine to see the same conflict in her as was in Thraah before. The desire to protect from outside forces clashing into the need to accept that very help.
"I will be watching you!"
Was her conclusion as she stood aside and returned, lumbering somewhat to the stool she had been sitting at and allowing access to the bed and the patients within.
Thraah had moved to the foot of the bed, she was waiting for Perrine to begin.
The children, three girls, held both Human and Elf features. Their faces and bodies were blotched with red welts. They were asleep all, breathed in rasping, short breaths and with burning fevers.
Maladies were not uncommon in the slums of the outer cities. Most were simply gotten from contaminated water or spoiled food.
Others like blood diseases came from vermin and cattle (or at least the fleas and ticks on such things).
It would be very clear to Perrine that without assistance they would likely die.
This particular sickness was known as Red Elf Pox or Elf Pox and typically did not transmit to humans however those of both Elf and Human lineage were particularly vulnerable to it. Like chicken pox it did not usually happen more than once and in Elf folk was rarely serious.
Those in Vel Anir who campaigned against a mixing of the races (of which there were many who frequently spoke out, especially among the Great Houses) were not above calling it a sign from Kress herself that such unions were "unnatural".
This was the great risk and secret Thraah had wanted to protect.
Her sisters, weak and small and sick, were practically a crime by nature of their birth alone. Even in the light of the Republic such promises of rights were still mostly lip service. The three children had round faces and sharp ears under thick reddish brown curls. puffed red cheeks huffed each strained breath and if you did not look for the rising and falling of little chests you might mistake them for already being dead, such was their colour. Sweat beaded and soaked their night clothes, leaving stained patches on the bed. Every now and then one of them tried to move but their face creased in pain as they made pointless shuffles to escape themselves.

Perrine Urahil

It became all too clear to her as to Thraah's apprehension leading up to this moment, they way she forced and hated herself for knowing at her office door.

Her unsaid name, the ideals they upheld that would see them torn to pieces in places like this.

Perrine swallowed, evening her breaths to keep herself calm and focus on her charges.

"Thraah, I am going to need some cool, moist cloths. I would like you drape it over their foreheads and under their arms too, if you will." Her hand twisted, testing the temperature with the back of her hand. She usually wore gloves, a clear defense to keep herself from feeling the functions of one's bodies.

"How many days?" She asked, leaving the question for the elven woman that glared blades into the Healer's back. Perrine already started rifling through her kit, finding something that would help clear up their younglings' lungs and give them easier breathing.

Thraah

• Bless
Not skipping a beat, Thraah descended the ladder back to the main room and could be heard gathering a bucket and running out the door. The well pump was not far.
Meanwhile the mother of Perrine's patients watched intently.
"This is the sixth day."
She said, adjusting the thin pillows under one of their heads.
"At first they were tired and slept all day but when the redness came and the fever did not break, we sent for Thraah."
Her delicate brows furrowed as she took her hands away and let Perrine work.
"What has she promised you? To pay for your service."
That protective element was there again, the one that was like Thraah's own but harder, tempered and meaningful.

Perrine Urahil

• Derp
Perrine pursed her lips for a moment before deciding there was no need for ingenuity. "I am covering the costs. I cannot have an Initiate distracted in class..." Or disrupting her own studies. It was imperative a lot of the Initiates saw through to their graduation, that they survive it at all. "Thraah came to me... you can understand how difficult that decision was for her... to trust someone else with her sisters."

Her hands steadily brought a draught to the lips of each patient, helping them sit up a little to ensure they do not choke on it or cough it up. "Now, I need their fevers to pass before I can begin the majority of my magic. I can at least keep them alive until then."

She was not sensitive with her words, not when she was here as a Healer, a Dreadlord, and not an attentive Proctor.

• Stressed
"Yes, I can. Imagine how hard it was for Thraah to seek help from one of you."
The Elf woman adjusted her children in the bed. She took their fever with her hands and watched Perrine.
"What is that you are giving my daughters?"
She asked, mildly more suspicious than perhaps she meant to.
Below them, the door burst open and steps hammered their way to the ladder.

Thraah arrived huffing and puffing but with torn linens and a bucket of fresh pumped water.
She lay both next to Perrine but said nothing. She had gone back to staring at her sisters, wishing the experience was not happening.

Perrine Urahil

• Cthuulove
Perrine did not miss a beat, delivering the last of the medicine to the last of the three girls. "It will loosen up their lungs, making it easier for them to take deeper breaths." After a few minutes, their breathing was audibly louder, deeper, and coughing. It helped loosen the liquid from their lungs, and Perri saw this as a good sign.

The linens came and Perri put Thraah straight to work.
"I need damp cloths under each of their underarms. It will aid me in cooling their bodies and fight the fever. Once that is done, then I can get onto what I know I can do to get them out from this stage. Healing is not miraculously fast. The body still takes time in healing."

Thraah

The tall Elf woman leaned back and watched as Thraah set about soaking and ringing cloth to put under her sosters pits. She moved with an almost frantic energy and some of the cloths were perhaps not as dry as they could have been, leaving wet patches under her sisters that caused them to squirm uncomfortably.
"Sorry." Thraah whispered, more to her sisters than to Perrine.
The three of them took breath easier and the tension on their heads eased somewhat.
Thraah looked down on them. The urge to hold them, fuss over them was almost overpowering and every moment she did not have anything to directly do felt like a small eternity of now that threatened to drive her silly.
"How... what happens now?"
Her voice was low with concern.

Perrine Urahil

• Bless
Perri gave Thraah a smile, reassuring her that her help was appreciated. "Place the back of your hand to their forehead. They are hot now, but I can help cool them, to the point I will be comfortable working magic with them."

Just how much magic that would take...

Her hands lowered the night dress to one child, placing her fingertips there and flattening her palm to the chest. Her magic was not visible, but she knew it was felt when the child mumbled and squirm just a little.
"The sickness clings to her... I just need a few minutes to work against it. Can you two start dabbing the heads of the other girls? Comfort them."

Perri returned her attention the the child before her, and bowed her head slightly before closing her eyes. Navigating the body was easy when they wefd young, but to fight a disease not meant for a human meant she was charting through unknown waters. It did not mean it was not impossible. It was close to ten minutes gone by before Perri sighed with relief.

"The contagion was found and now dying out. She will take a day or more to recover. I can start on the next girl... just need a minute..." Channelling that long often brought on exhaustion, but a slight reprieve was all Perrine needed. She was used to overworking.

Thraah

• Aww
Thraah was already behind Perrine, stool out in her hands, pushing it under her that she might sit.
The Elf woman leaned closer, eager to see the results. Her bright eyes flickering from one of her children to the other.
Her long arms wet and dabbed at her babes and Thraah quickly joined her leaning over Perrine to reach the middle position. She did not know whether to look at her Proctor or not.
Seeing Perrine at work made her feel badly about her continued campaign to disrupt her classes.
She wanted to apologise but now wasn't the time.
Even so she wanted to say something.
"Does it hurt, the healing?"

Perrine Urahil

• Nervous
Perrine took a moment before she answered Thraah's question. She moved to begin treating the next girl, lifting her gaze to look between the Initiate and her mother. "To heal? No... but..." She shuffled in her seat, turning her gaze down onto the child. So small and frail, but she could imagine them to be terrors like their elder sister. It brought a smile to her face, and she wondered whether she would have children later in life or not. "My magic," she started again, frowning, "is not healing. I can control one's body, you see. I can inflict pain or heal. Dealing pain... is a cost on me. During my time at the Academy, I did my best to become the best at Healing... but this was before the Revolution. Healing did not keep you alive... so I had to learn how to shut down my own pain receptors."

Talking as she worked her magic took it's toll on her too, but there were things Thraah did not know about the older Urahil... "I only wanted to be remembered as a Healer. That went over well with the family... but I feel better about myself this way. Making a difference with a magic I was born to wield... I grew up seeing Odessa and how out of touch with a normal reality with feeling was for her... I wanted to be..."

But she did not finish her sentence. She let it fall into the silence as her magic worked.

Thraah

• Wonder
Odessa was a name with one translation for Thraah, *mean bitch*.
Not that she had any personal experience but she gave off the vibe and Thraah had heard stories of her whole family being just mean and petty and shitty. Her personnal grudge against Leander helped bolster the idea that all Urahils were just silk stockings full of shit and here was Perrine, who put a big ole hole in that idea.
Shutting down pain receptors sounded a lot like shutting down everything. Thraah did not listen like she probably should have in her classes so she was sure she was wrong but it was the kind of assumption that *felt* right.
In honesty Perrine's explanation of her magic did not really make much sense to Thraah but that mattered little really. As long as her sisters were okay.
"That sounds rough. Will you be okay? After this I mean?"

Perrine Urahil

Last edited:
  • Derp
"I have been a sole Healer for the Dreadlords and Guard for more than seven years... Exhaustion is nothing new for me, Thraah." How many classes had she taught on only four hours sleep she had managed in just that week alone? The different directions she was pulled in to serve several masters meant she had little time for herself anymore. She sacrificed her free hours to Initiates that needed her help, spent days she was meant to be a Proctor healing wounds that would make many stomachs turn.

"What is my wellbeing when I can be sure that by the turn of the sunrise yet to come, your sisters will be stronger. Their bodies will fight off the illness, but they will be all right." That was the silver lining in all of this. "When I was younger, I often wondered whether if I healed enough people in my life, will that make up for the family I was born to?" She bit her lip, looking down at her hand upon the child, seeing the gentle glow beneath her palm as her magic continued to work.

"My mother left my father, you see, when I was quite young. Now, my father was no mainline Urahil family dynamic... but he was never right in his head. He was angry, he was bitter. He hated having a daughter, and cursed me and my mother who left him without a word. I should be mad at her too for leaving me behind.... but I came to realise she was not strong enough."

Being away from the Academy pulled down one of her defenses, but her words continued. She did not care if Thraah listened or not, she just needed something to do to make time go faster.

"I began to learn how to heal the mind. For a few months my father smiled and used his manners with me. He left the house, he tended to the estate... but then I had to work at the Academy... and he has yet to answer a letter I have sent him." He had regressed, and Perrine asked herself again if it was worth fixing something that was broken long before her conception, her birth.

Thraah

• Nervous
They listened, sharing glances that put more than a bit of fear into Thraah. Her Momni was unsure.
It was one thing to bring an Urahil but Perrine had just said it.
The air grew tense as Perrine finished speaking.
"I must go. Thraah, helk grarrage sek!"
The Elf mother stood and with tall grace she left.
Thraah did not know what to do. She tried to make sure that her sisters were comfortable.
Downstairs the door opened and closed. Voices could be heard mumbling outside.
Desperate for something to do Thraah spoke.
"Your dad sounds like a right cunt."
She was immediately sorry for calling the person who was saving her sisters' father a cunt.
"Sorry, it's just, your family seems like they're all, kinda awful."

Perrine Urahil

• Derp
The Urahils were awful, but they also helped shaped Vel Anir, had kept their bloodline safe and preserved for generations. Where some members she would rather be without, there were those she had admired and loved dearly. She would always put her family first, even before her own needs. It was how she became Proctor in the first place.

"My father... he is good on those good days I help heal his mind. It is difficult to do, and only so few Healers can navigate the mind... but I got to experience a brief time of unconditional love. To see him tell his acquaintances and friends of his Dreadlord daughter that he is so proud of..."
Perrine sighed and ceased her magic, content that the second child was now on the mend.

She did not give herself break, even if her head began to feel light.

"We cannot choose our family, Thraah. Nor can we fault them for the way they were brought up. Change can happen, but we must be patient. We must also do things we do not want to do... but we must survive in order to see this change. I would not be here to heal your sisters if I did not learn how to kill a person." Such an admission came in hushed tones, and Perrine, tall and slender, poised and collected, seemed small at that moment.

To kill someone was against a medic's code, but she had done so before making such an oath.

"I only want to heal because then maybe saving a thousand lives makes up for the two I took."

Thraah

• Cry
"Is that how it works?"
Thraah's mind went back to the mission with Maseno that she had only just returned from a few days ago.
To the people she had killed and the sounds of them dying, the unbearable quiet of the aftermath.
She went to the bottom of the bed and sat on it, looking at her sisters as the middle one began to ease into a more restful slumber thanks to Perrine.
"If you help enough people does Kress forgive the ones you hurt?"
Her voice was utterly serious as she spoke.
Below them the smells of cooking began to waft up through the floorboards and outside the talking was becoming heated.

Perrine Urahil

• Spoon Cry
Perrine bowed her head, taking a deep breath as weariness weighed at her body. When she lifted her head back up, eyes open, they seemed to fade to a grey before filling back to that light shade of purple blue. The past week had seen her going to treat wounded Dreadlords, one where she had to spend two days healing a broken spinal cord. It took medics and herself such a long time to ensure everything was perfectly in place, and to speed the healing process by channeling so much of her energy reserves into them.

But her well of power was bottomless, it was her mortal body that paid the price.

"Kress... it is not about Kress anymore. Not any of the gods, saints, or ancient beings cross my mind anymore..." Perrine whispered. She turned to Thraah, looking to her like an ally. Dreadlord to an Initiate.

No Academy ties here.

"Do you plan on becoming a Dreadlord, Thraah?"

Thraah

• Nervous