Private Tales A Flower Among Leaves

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Razareal

The Aberration
Character Biography
Link
This was unfamiliar land.

The lush lands of the Spring Court had been Razareal's home for many years now, longer than was worth remembering. The Sidhe had arrived in the forests of Falwood an outcast whose own kind saw no use for him, had shunned and rejected his existence because of his blood and his heritage. The Spring saw through such superficial traits, took him with open arms, and gave him a reason to be. Razareal was not a Watered to his brothers in Spring, he was a warrior.

Ever since that day when Oberon had pointed him in the direction of his enemies, Razareal defended those lands from any who would even dare entertain the idea of threatening Spring's peace. They began to call him The Sower-- Who tilled the lands touched by violence so that the seeds of new life could be planted in the wake of his destruction.

Oberon was no longer King, however. He was dead. In his place was Nairth San'Seya, a Duanann that Razareal knew very little about.

Now, he'd been called on once again by this new King, to quell a threat to not only the Spring, but all the courts. Nairth sought to wield him just as Oberon had, but against a far greater threat. Razareal relished the challenge, of course...

But this meant temporarily relocating himself to the Autumn Court, to assist The Erlking in what was expected to be a violent excursion against Titania and The Summer. As powerful as Razareal was, he was not comfortable with Autumn land in the slightest.

So when Laigin finally began to come into view, a wave of relief washed over the Sidhe Warrior. Already he was late for his audience with King Midir. Razareal had no desire to stretch such a notorious figure's patience further than need be. So with redoubled resolve, he hurried towards the Autumn's heart clutching tightly the medallion King San'Seya had instructed him to deliver along with himself.

• Sip
Reactions: Midir
The Ixchel Wilds were a haunting maze of flowers, fauna and animals. A traveller could never know what to expect around each new twisting bend; a vertical drop leading into a rapid river below, or a moss covered statue that was a relic to some by forgotten race of people. It was frightening and exhilarating all in one, a fact that had both tempted explorers and kept them at bay for many centuries.

Deep within the very heart of this sprawling metropolis of wilderness stood Laigin.

The Autumn Court had not attempted to tame the jungle around them but had instead embraced its chaotic beauty. Homes had been built with careful thought to predators and so most structures were up high, in the giant branches of trees or chiselled into the jutting moss-covered rocks. Others had burrowed underground as was their nature, entrances to their homes easily missable as a traveller walked past. Every now and then the trees cleared to create larger spaces that the people of the city had taken to use as their gathering places and centres of commerce much like any other city.

But at its beating heart stood the palace.

1669383088599.png

The deeper he traveled into the jungle, and the closer he drew to the palace at its center, the less uncomfortable he became. In many ways, this land was not unlike that of the Spring, albeit more vast and populated. No matter the size or inhabitants, Razareal felt at home within the trees. He wasn't the only one, if the eyes of people living amongst and within the bastions of nature surrounding him were anything to go by.

They could stare if they wished; he was no invader. The moment he accepted this assignment from his King, he represented all of them against the knife held to peace's throat. Whether or not they knew the danger they were all in was inconsequential.

Reaching the long bridge that led across a deep valley and into the palace itself, the muscular Sidhe stopped before them, bending in a deep bow to their presence, and to the looming structure before him before crossing the bridge, the wind seemingly picking up with every step he made, blowing against his back to push him further towards the mouth of the great tree.

He's here, Sire.
The wind whispered, causing the flowers to sway to its music. Midir glanced up from the book he was reading to stare at the invisible type of fae that lived in the wind. Mortals always believed it to be the wind itself that spoke but the fae knew better. They also knew how those fae could have sharp teeth when they wanted to eat.

"Thank you, Aoife," he said and slid a leather bookmark in between the pages to mark his spot before closing it. The wind fae did one more prowling circuit of his office and then left through the large open doors. When he was alone the Erlking stood and thought about what he knew of this fae whom he had let enter his lands to hunt for a creature who - if Nairth was to be believed - could not be killed. He thought of his own sidhe and wondered if she was fairing any better in her search.

It was with those thoughts that he left the office and went to meet Raz himself at the entrance to his home.

Razareal was not the type to fear any creature, be it Mortal, Fae, or otherwise. Fear and respect, however, were two very different things. Razareal did not fear Midir, the King who had brought Autumn to heights it had scantly scraped before him through the force of his own will and undying spirit. He did not fear the chill that ran up his spine whenever any of his attendants looked at him, reminders of the power they had over him so long as he was within their domain.

He feared none of it, but he did hold an immense amount of respect for it all. It took a tremendous effort to command a forest of wildlife and untamed nature. To rule over a kingdom of powerful Fae and maintain civility among them was a feat far beyond that. It was why Razareal had no desire to rule over anything besides the southern forests he guarded.

Those waiting at the door quietly beckoned the visitor to the base of a long staircase in the center of a wide chamber just inside the doors to the palace. There would come a time when Raz would wish to know every inch of this place, every corner, and cranny it had to offer him. For now, though, he was but a visitor, and he would behave as such.

The sound of doors opening echoed through the chamber, and Razareal lowered to a knee in respect, though his eyes remained up to meet the Erlking as he arrived.

"I am here, Erlking. As was promised."

"Rise, Razareal. You are a guest and an honoured one at that," Midir's voice projected around the antechamber without the need for him to raise his voice. On bare feet he glided across the room to meet the fae upon one knee and offered him a hand. A sign of friendship. A sign of the alliance he would honour with the fae's real king. As a deep traditionalist, a traditionalist of times long forgotten by many, the Erlking did not believe any fae should bow to any but his own liege.

"Come, let me show you your home for your time here," he motioned to the first door to their left and then started in that direction once the other man was on his feet.

There was a tranquil peace to the palace despite the constant background noise of a living jungle. Birds cried over head and sounds of water and the wind brushing through the leaves outside made its own haunting music. The first room they wandered through happened to be a drawing room of sorts.

"You are welcome to roam this place as you wish, though I do ask you try to disrupt the staff as little as possible. The reason you are here is not widely known and I would keep it that way. It might bring... panic amongst some of my people."

Honored? Raz tensed at the command to rise, which seemed to echo off of nothing and everything all at once. There were many titles Razareal had held, but none of them held any particular amount of honor. The Sidhe was a means to an end, and little more. Despite his discomfort with the lofty label, he raised to stand before the Erlking, expression unchanging as he accepted Midir's hand and shook it firmly. "My King has beholden me to you, Erlking. Point me at your enemies, and I will strike them down"

It may have seemed an odd time to make the declaration, during his greeting into the court, but such a strong announcement of intent was important to Razareal were he to serve during his time here. The Erlking needed to hear from his lips what he was and what he was willing to do. There would be no gray area between them.

Despite the serious introduction, Raz offered a polite smile as Midir stepped aside to lead him to his quarters while he was to be stationed here, eyes wandering the impressive home he'd built and ruled over here. "The Spring's architecture is far more subdued, save for the castle. I admire the display of might this place provides, while still showing respect to the land. Your people are quite talented."

Granted, Razareal didn't live in Grovehaven. The Sower preferred the small shack he'd constructed himself deep in the woods to anything too grandiose. He did hope that the Erlking didn't go too above and beyond for his arrival, accordingly. No matter where he was to rest, the song that the life of Autumn's land provided was a calming symphony to his ears.

"I've no intention of making my presence known to any who need not be aware of it. This is an unorthodox exchange between our Courts, after all. Questions would be asked regardless of my reason for being here."

A ghost of a smile touched Midir's lips when Raz boldly pledged to face his enemies, then juxtapositioned it with a very cultured comment on the architecture. There were layers to this fae that made him more than a blunt instrument. Nairth had done him a great honour with lending him the sidhe. He wondered, with amusement, if the Spring King felt the same way about the sidhe he had sent to serve there. Olyssa was a fire cracker at the best of times but he hoped she did not end up rubbing him the wrong way.

He inclined his head in thanks to the promise.

"Very unusual, and I don't quite know who might be compromised in the Court," from what Nairth and he had discussed there could very well be Summer spies in both Courts, even their palaces. Such a thought was alarming. The Erlking led him out of another room into an inner courtyard where the jungles wildness could be fully appreciated, before back inside to another wing.

"Your rooms are just down here, should you have need of anything you most only ask it. I will try to provide what I can and I would like to... join you perhaps if you find you are close to catching this creature."

Razareal had his suspicions on the matter. Being the guardian of his own homelands he'd seen his fair share of questionable individuals doing their utmost to sneak through Spring lands undetected, not the least of which was that odd Amalia woman. Such deductions were not for him to make, however, and he held his tongue as Midir showed him to a beautiful courtyard lush with the wild.

Yes, this would do nicely. The air was very crisp and clean here, perfect for Razareal to think and plan. Still, his ears twitched at The Erlking's request for news on the 'creature'. Did the regent speak of The Shadow? "I was under the impression I'd been summoned to assist with our Summer problem. Not that I mind hunting the Dark One, but that menace has been content to mostly contain itself to my land. Only thrice it's been seen outside the Spring." Curiously enough, always by Nairth's son Tharu. Raz wasn't sure of any connection, but it wasn't his place to suggest one.

Leaning on a branch railing and looking out over the inner courtyard, Raz gives a shake of his head and allows a soft sigh to escape him. "Between that thing, and pressure from Titania, we have our hands full. I pray Olyssa can be of some use to King San'Seya. Tracking the Dark One has thus far proven a fruitless effort, but I've heard tale of her legendary tracking ability."

• Sip
Reactions: Midir
The Erlking leaned casually against one of the ivy-claimed columns and gave a nod of affirmation. Summer had been the primary reason for Raz's appearance in his Court. A sign that Spring and Autumn were beginning to weave their Courts together in a way that would mean their forces were strong and cohesive in the war that was coming. But there would be no use in winning a war if something darker was lurking, ready to hurt those within his Court.

"The primary reason you have come here is a slow, steady game. Where our moves are limited until other pawns are moved. But this Shadow your King spoke of... It, troubles me. Narith mentioned you had seen this Dark One and whilst I have the Spring Kings descriptions, it is entirely different to having someone who had seen it show it to you. I would like to make sure my boarders are as... secure as they can be. From Summer and other threats, before the War begins. My primary concern will always be my people and they will feel the bite of this Dark One before Summer."

Razareal slid his eyes shut and listened closely to Midir's words. It was important for him to remain aware that The Erlking was far more involved in the complicated mire of danger that enveloped them all than he was, and whilst eager to reach his target, such large-scale conflicts are won with patience and precision. A stark contrast to the way he was used to handling matters.

"In truth, noble Erlking..." The Sidhe's thick fingers dug against the bark of the wooden railing, more of an anxious tic than an angry one. "I'm uncertain of the possibility of stopping that monster from entering this land if it truly wishes to. I've seen it hide within the bodies of animals, their outward appearance untainted until it's too late. It's a parasite, feeding off of nature to suit its needs, and I've yet to devise a way to reliably track it."

A reluctant admission, but one that came with some modicum of a silver lining. Well, in a way.

"However, it's also prudent to note that a great deal of the attacks have been aimed directly at the San'Seya bloodline. There are only a small handful of accounts from other Fae and courts. It would seem that the Dark One has a target. At least for now."

Midir made an excellent point, however. If the Summer decided to act now, with the looming shadow of the Dark One still hanging over them, it could spell absolute catastrophe for all of the Fae. It mustn't be allowed at any cost.

"For now, we must instruct your men to be watchful for any animals acting strangely. It's a broad order, but all that we have for the time being."

Interesting...

The fact it was attacking those with the same blood as the Spring King was not a piece of information he had had before. It was certainly a dangerous piece of information. A piece of information that if it fell into the wrong hands might be manipulated in a certain way. Or perhaps it was a piece of information that pointed exactly to whose hands were involved behind the darkness. There were too many variables to decide.

"Of course. You've given me a great many things to think about, Razareal. I will leave you to settle into your rooms now. If there is anything else, my people will be able to help, or simply seek me out," with a polite bow of his head the Autumn King turned on his bare heels and strode back through the internal courtyard.