Open Chronicles A Diplomatic Ball

A roleplay open for anyone to join
Fynaurie had been walking sideways. Instead of looking where she was going, she had been sipping from a champagne flute and watching the dance floor.

Amongst the elves, the Sky Elves were quite a pragmatic people. They were thick leathers for flying high. They lived in an old stone tower that predated their culture.

Suddenly the dance floor was a colourful and exciting and full of strange foreigners. Neither of her two main experiences meeting outsiders had been pleasant.

Fynaurie managed to save what was left of her drink as she bounced off someone and stumbled to one knee.

She was quickly back up onto her feet, afraid of being berated if anyone superiors saw her and assumed the worst.

No no...I am perfectly fine thank you...Oh youre an elf? She said, switching into elvish. The sky elf dialect was more of an accent. Fynaurie turned to look at Petra. She was not one of them, her dress and bronzed skin gave that away.

It was not often that Petra found herself speechless. And yet it was a handful of expectant moments where she was left blinking rapidly while she processed that the elven woman had addressed her in a dialect of her own mother tongue.

For you see, she had failed to speak it much since she left Fal'Addas. And having those words wash over her after all this time, even if under the cultural influence of the mountains and the skies, brought such a strong pang of nostalgic homesickness in her chest, that she almost choked from the sheer immediate weight of it.

But recover she did, even if it was at first with a stutter in her own returning elvish and a hesitant smile.

"Y-yes. I am... I am an elf. I am from Erendale, but my family is originally from the Falwood." Her smile grew warmer as she settled more comfortably into their impromptu conversation. "But, I now reside as a Sworn Knight within the Knights of Anathaeum." She gestured casually to the nearby bodies of her fellow Sworn. Her passing attention caught on the figure of Helena floating in the arms of the fiery Avariel. "In fact... that there would be my Dawn Captain." Petra raised her now empty glass in a ghost of a salute before during back to the woman with a laugh. "As you can see, we are prime examples of diplomacy!"

Fynaurie

All thoughts vanished from Abrielle's mind like smoke in the wind as she became lost in the moment. Wesley's strong arms tightly wrapped around her, the swell of the music, the fuzzy feeling she got from the wine coursing through her veins, all enhancing the giddy feeling of new found love. She clung to Wesley tightly as the song ended and they left the dance floor, watching with longing as he took his leave.

"You can when we do another type of dance, not this one." His words echoed back through her mind. What could he have meant by that? She only knew one kind of dance. Was there even more than one kind of dance? Abrielle wondered. But more importantly, what was she supposed to do next? She didn't want to disappoint Wesley with her dancing skills. And what was she sipposed to do woth these strange new feelings?

Maybe she should ask Helena for help. But she appeared to be busy. There was one other person she could ask. Ophelia. While she had acted like a mean older sister earlier with all the teasing, her advide had gotten Abrielle this far, and hopefully she could help her again.

Abrielle pushed through the crowd until she located the elf. "Come with me!" she grabbed Ophelia's hand and insistently pulled her into a side room, slamming the door shut. Abrielle immediately began pelting Ophelia with a barrage of panicked questions. "What do I do?! Wesley said he wanted to try "a different kinds of dance"? What is that even supposed to mean? I only know the basic dance steps! I need you to teach me this new dance what ever it is! Also! What do I do next?! We've danced and kissed... Now what?!" Abrielle fell silent, her chest heaving from a mixture of a lack of air and anxiety, as she desperately awaited Ophelia's guidance.

Ophelia Tirion

Just as Ophelia was about to take another sip of the delicious wine, Abrielle had bounded over to her and began pulling her away - Ophelia almost missing the table as she put her glass down in the rush of motion.

As the door shut Abrielle almost immediately started rambling and when Ophelia realized what exaclty that red-headed foreign boy was insinuating, she had to do everything in her power to stop from bursting out laughing.

When her fellow squire had eventually stopped talking all Ophelia could do was smile, a smug, entertained beyond measure, smile.

She cleared her throat, "Well firstly, I am almost defiantly not going to be teaching you that dance Abri. We arent that type of friends." Raising an eyebrow, Ophelia wondered just how much she would have to elude before Abrielle finally got the message. Her eyes trailed to the shut down then back to her closet companion.

"The type of dance, your dear old Wesley out there wants so do is one that you would normally partake in....without any clothing. The type of dance your parents did to have you my dear Abrielle. "
Ophelia waited, wondering is she would have to go into further detail...dear elder tree she hoped not...

Abrielle Huxley

Abrielle scowled at the elf. Why did Ophelia think this was so funny? "There's dances you can only do with certain kinds of friends?" Abrielle asked in confusion. Sure, she wasn't best friends with Ophelia or anything. The elf was still one of the few people Abrielle could count as a friend and stand being around without immediately morphing into a small ball of rage.

But thinking on it more, Abrielle realized that she wasn't exactly best friends with Wesley either. Where was the line between friends you could do the special dance with and the ones you couldn't?! "C'mon! Couldn't you at least teach me the first couple of steps? Please? I'm sure I figure out the rest from there!"

"What does wearing or not wearing clothes have to do with anything?"
An uninvited image of Wesley and herself dancing naked floated into Abrielle's mind. His strong, toned arms holding her tightly, and her- Abrielle quickly dismissed the image, her face having turned bright red.

"The same dance my parents did to have me?" she echoed, still uncertain about what Ophelia was trying to tell her. "Is that how parents summon the great eagle that delivers babies and tell it what kind of child they want? With a special dance? It must be! Right?" The poor redhead was grasping at straws with her limited knowledge, and it felt like, for whatever reason, Ophelia was trying to keep her in the dark.

This is getting me nowhere! Abrielle thought. She had hoped for straight answers, but Ophelia only seemed interested in riddles. Maybe I shoulda asked Captain Helena instead...

Last edited:
"Eagles? Abrielle you cannot be serious." Ophelias tone had gone from playful to what could be described as a mixture of both confusion and concern.

Waving her hands slightly as if trying to get a grip on the conversation Ophelia took a deep breath before placing then on her friends arm. "How you live in a monestry filled with men and women yet still have no idea what I am alluding to I will not now." She shook her head and then met Abrielles eyes. Her grasp on the squires arm tightening, "Sex Abri, sex."

Reynard smiled at Gwynn's earnest worry at the results of the ball. She was understandably anxious leading up to the event, it was incredibly important things go right after all, but it seems that so far she was pleased. She deserved to be as well, even Reynard could tell that much. He was far from a master of politics but he knew diplomacy well, and knew that Gwynn was in many ways just as good as him when it came to the art of making people like you.

“To worry is appropriate, I believe that is far better than being over confident but you worry too much. Your natural magnetism works incredibly well for events like this.” he said with a deep and kind smile. “I’m sure the ball will continue to be a success and you’ll have nothing to worry about by night's end. I’ll be here to support you every step of the way.”
Gwynn desperately wanted to go back up to the eyrie and finish what she had started with Reynard, but since she obviously couldn't, she settled for a geniuine, grateful smile in response to his supportive words. "You flatter me too much, it isn't good for my ego," she said teasingly as she continued to survey the crowd. It occurred to her that she still hadn't seen or talked to Azlat yet and she wondered what the priestess could be up to.

"The hardest part hasn't even begun," she continued, the teasing tone gone from her voice; but she was still upbeat. "But I think the allies we have chosen will prove to be extremely beneficial, for everyone involved,"

She didn't think she could get much happier, but as an Avariel danced past her line of vision, for a split second she thought it was Ruven. But no, it couldn't be- he was bed-ridden with illness and hadn't been able to make it to the ball. Gwynn felt cruel for even thinking it, but she was glad he wasn't there- she would much rather spend her time Reynard. What had happened on the eyrie might not have even happened at all.

Reynard De Eramant

"S-s-s-s-sex?!" Abri stuttered loudly in alarm. "Why w-would he want to do that?" Wasn't there supposed to be a number of steps between where she and Wesley were currently, and them sleeping together?! Abrielle could feel her face growing warmer and warmer as she thought about what actions were involved.

Everything Ophelia had been telling Abrielle slowly fell into place. If sex was what Wesley had been alluding to, it was no wonder that Ophelia had refused to teach her the steps to that particular "dance".

Abrielle put her hand over Ophelia's, her face still beet red. "Thank you for clearing things up for me. And for being patient with me," she added sheepishly. "I know I can be kinda slow when it comes to certain things." Abrielle rose and pulled Ophelia into a loose hug. "Sorry for dragging you away from the ball so suddenly... We should probably be getting back..."

Releasing the elf, Abrielle opened the door and returned to the dance floor. She wasn't sure what to do next, but two things were clear to her. One, she had to avoid Wesley until she could formulate some sort of plan. And two, she needed a drink!

Wesley Argent

Last edited:
Returning back within the palace from the cold chill that had met her on the platform, Azlat strode down the halls to rejoin the others. The rumors of the dragon had turned out to be true, though the peril she had associated with him had been purely imagined. Norvyk had not been deceptive as the other Pretender had been, and though the two were akin in kind there were clear differences between them. Azlat still had much to learn of the northern lands and those who dwelt within. Now that her concerns had been sated, the priestess turned to learning more of those whom had invited her, the Sky Elves.

Though they were as mysterious and unknown to most on Arethil, Azlat was unfamiliar with most of Arethil. She had no basis to understand just how distant and estranged Sky Elven society had been. Even the concept of an Elven society was new to her, for on Malakath elves for the most part existed within the slums of Thagretis. They held no city of their own – There were not enough of them, as far as Azlat was aware. Perhaps she was wrong in that assumption as well? After all, if Elven society had existed up in these mountaintops for hundreds of years without widespread knowledge, perhaps the mountains of her homeland held similar secrets. For all she knew, there could be Elves in Malakath, hidden away in parts unknown. Unlikely, but still possible.

Knowing little of elven society, this was Azlat’s opportunity to discover more about it. Both share common ground, in that the greater world of Arethil was still new to them, and that bode well to the establishment of diplomacy. Both the Thagretans and Sky Elves were dealing with a world that had only just opened up to them, and were new to the ongoing politics of the land. That they were on relatively equal footing in this regard was a comfort that endeared her to the elves. They may not be human, but they were in a position in which she could empathize with far more than most of the human kingdoms. It was not lost upon her that humans had been among those who invaded her city. There’d been only two, but they were in league with the pretender that had attacked them… At least, as far as Azlat believed.

Settled back inside, she travelled down the halls and back towards the ballroom. She’d been so distracted with the arrival of Norvyk that she hadn’t had a chance to meet Gwyn yet, whom had extended the invitation. Azlat kept a serpentine eye out for the princess, finally catching sight of her across the crowd. Azlat headed to her, acquiring a drink from the tray of a servant on her way over.

“Princess Gwynnestri! My gratitude for your invitation. Thagretis extends our warmest regards.” Azlat warmly greeted her in a diplomatic tone. Her delivery was dry and official, the message was truth. Both were forging their way among unfamiliar kingdoms, and Azlat hoped the Sky Elves would become valued allies. There was much to discover together.

Gwynnestri Ravaneiros

When Esme and Koa made their way back to the ballroom, each grabbing themselves a full glass. She scanned the ballroom, looking for another guest she was told would be in company at the ball , the captains of the Knights of Anatheum. - but much like herself, very few attendees were here in defining clothing.

Esmerelda decided to approach someone she had seen Wesley's lady friend arrive with earlier, whom she could only assume was part of said organization; in hopes that they would point her in the direction of one of their leaders.

"Abri..." Ophelia felt a tad sympathetic for her friend when the revelation dawned on her.
"For some people, such things hold no value - for others they do but I cannot tell you which reigns true for the boy."

The Falwood elf tried to comfort her friend but whether she had made matters worse or not, she wasn't certain.

When Abrielle made her way out the stuffy room, Ophelia followed.

"Why don't we go grab some wine and sit out on the veranda?" Just as her words left her mouth she spotted a tall, mop of red hair she had seen all evening. "Well, I'll be on the veranda." She offered her friend a squeeze on the shoulder before darting off, wanting to be even involved in the slightest with the conversation that was going to follow.

Abrielle Huxley @ anyone

Back in the ballroom, Wesley scanned the crowds for the small, beautiful knight he had found himself utterly besotted with.
An eager look in his eyes has he searched, on the otherside; exciting what he could only assume was a broom closet or such he spotted Abrielle.

"Abri ! Abri !" He shouted, any sense of decorum completly lost now as a huge, goofy smile took over his face and he waves a large hand out above the crowds.
The moment he was in arms length, Wesley picked her up and spun her gently before placing gently back on the ground. His excitement that of a dog chasing a ball.

"Abrielle you will not believe what I just encountered outside!" The young warrior appered to be bursting at the seams ready to relay the events...his own emotion blinding him to whatever had seemed to be plauging Abri.

Abrielle Huxley

Settled back inside, she travelled down the halls and back towards the ballroom. She’d been so distracted with the arrival of Norvyk that she hadn’t had a chance to meet Gwyn yet, whom had extended the invitation. Azlat kept a serpentine eye out for the princess, finally catching sight of her across the crowd. Azlat headed to her, acquiring a drink from the tray of a servant on her way over.

“Princess Gwynnestri! My gratitude for your invitation. Thagretis extends our warmest regards.” Azlat warmly greeted her in a diplomatic tone. Her delivery was dry and official, the message was truth. Both were forging their way among unfamiliar kingdoms, and Azlat hoped the Sky Elves would become valued allies. There was much to discover together.
"Priestess Azlat, how wonderful it is to see you again!" she replied to the woman. Her tone was dry, but Gwynn knew she meant every word.

"I hope you are enjoying your visit here so far, is it what you had thought it would be like here?" She continued, recalling their last conversation a while back at Esme's ball. "I'm afraid I've still yet to visit Thagretis." she added, reaching out for a glass of sky wine from a passing tray. She took a small sip, the wine warming her blood. Not that it needed any more heating since the eyrie.

"Have you had a chance to taste the sky wine? it is perhaps the one thing the Sky Elves are famous for." she said, a playful little smile tugging at the corner of her mouth.

Azlat Ushus

• Wonder
Reactions: Azlat Ushus
“And it is wonderful to be here. My great appr͜eciation for your invitation and hospitality. Yours is a fine realm.” Azlat responded, in equally diplomatic tone. Though dry and bereft of excitement, the sentiment expressed was genuine. The land and palace was a sight to behold, and the priestess was enthralled by it all. For fourty years, she’d not known any civilization beyond her own. Discovery of these new and different lands never failed to amaze.

"I hope you are enjoying your visit here so far, is it what you had thought it would be like here?" Gwynnestri asked next.

“The palace and pe̶aks are a bea̸utiful sight. As grand and hospit̕able as I imagined, but I’ve never seen sn̡ow-capped mo̵untains so close before.” Azlat replied. “And the l̵arge birds - I know not of them, but I'd n̷ever imagined I'd s͜ee such a thing, either. They truly make for great cavalry.” She added. Birds large enough to support a rider was no foreign concept to her, but ones that could be tamed was an unexpected discovery of particular interest to the Thagretan priestess. Flying steeds would be a useful counter to the threats Thagretis commonly faced up against — a boon that made the notion of a potential alliance all the more alluring.

The potential for trade was another matter on the wealthy priestess' mind. Her excursions had turned out to be as lucrative as they were informative. Even unremarkable goods from in the north could be considered an exotic import in Thagretis, and rare materials were worth a fortune. And the merchants of the city paid several fortunes for these connections that could bring them a financial windfall. Facilitating further trade meant making more money, and Azlat wasn't about to let such a blessed opportunity go to waste.

The reverse held true as well, and Thagretan goods were truly exotic to the Northern continents. Spices, sculptures, textiles and delicacies were common exports. Lumber was a common import. There just weren't that many trees in the desert.

"I’m afraid I’ve still yet to visit Thagretis." Gwynnestri commented, and Azlat met her comment with a warm smile and response.

“Well, may I extend s̶uch an invitation? We'd be del͠ighted to have you as our honoured guest.” Azlat replied, still beaming. Diplomacy had gone well, and the prospect of forging close ties was an exciting notion. Azlat had high hopes for the further development of ties between their realms.

Though different in many ways, the sky elves carried similarities to Thagretis. Both were making their way ahead into a world formerly unknown to them.

Gwynnestri Ravaneiros

Gwynn thought the two women were rather more similar than either of them thought. "The rohks," she said, nodding after Azlat spoke. "I do believe that the rohks' and the Knights' flying ship have stolen the show."

There was a chance for alliance here, one that could benefit both the Sky Elves and The Thagretians. The rohks would be a boon to any of the Sky Elves' allies for defense, and what the Elves took for granted could be a luxury in the south. One man's trash was another man's treasure, and neither nation's resources should be wasted.

"I would be immensely grateful," she replied to the priestess' invitation, dipping her head in respect. Not only was Gwynn curious to see the desert, but she also saw much potential in creating even closer ties with Thagretis. (There were also the dragons; Gwynn had never seen a dragon in person, and made a note to see the one that was up on one of the eyries, with the flying ship.)

"An hour before midnight, my guards will escort you to our conference room and we can further discuss the future of our peoples." She explained, glancing at the moon through one of the high windows. The time was drawing near.

"I will see you again soon," she said, giving Azlat another diplomatic but genuine smile with a dip of her head before she drifted back to the outskirts of the ballroom, where hers and her father's guards were waiting.

"A few minutes more," she said, taking in the entire scene before her. Everyone seemed to be thoroughly enjoying themselves; soon they would have to get down to business.

Azlat Ushus
Reynard De Eramant

• Yay
Reactions: Azlat Ushus
“I've not tried the sky wine yet.I heard about the dragon, and I had to see it for myself.” Azlat replied. She'd have to try one once she actually made her way to the ball. Odd, that it had taken so much time to get a drink in her hand.

“Rohks.” Azlat repeated, speaking the word aloud that she might better remember it. “I believe they have. I've not seen anything akin to either.” She further agreed. The ship was quite a sight, and the first of it's kind Azlat had seen. There seemed to be several means towards airborne travel beyond simple magic. There were even elves with wings attached to them. The Thagretans were prepared against aerial threat, but there was now further ones to contend with. Despite the long reach of Thagretan ballistae, it could not be counted upon to sink a ship nor strike a target as small as a person. There would have to be redesigns to handle these newly known options, and swiftly.

The technology, once implemented, might be of value to the Sky Elves as well given their particular location. Flight seemed to be the most likely means of access their enemies might possess.

"I would be immensely grateful," Gwyn replied, and Azlat was happy to hear the answer.

“I'm elated that you accept. We too would be grateful to host you. Azlat replied. It would be great to have another of likewise situation to forge ties with.

"An hour before midnight, my guards will escort you to our conference room and we can further discuss the future of our peoples." Gwynnestri spoke, and Azlat returned a nod.

“I shall keep an eye out for them. May Thagretis and the Sky Elves share a bright future ahead.” Azlat concluded, wearing a cordial smile. Thought it was practised and polite, it was one of genuine happiness and pride at the diplomacy that had taken place.

"I will see you again soon," Gwynnestri added, with a small nod of her head that Azlat mimicked herself.

“I look forward to it. And I shall have to sample some of that Sky Wine.” Once the princess had departed, Azlat headed over to the ball that she'd yet to visit herself. By the time she arrived, the scene was a lively one with the drone of constant conversations amidst the content crowd in attendance, with drinks flowing. Surely the Sky Wine that Princess Gwynnestri had mentioned could be found, and Azlat sought out a servant to make such a request. The servant handed her a fluted glass of that very wine, and upon thanking him, Azlat took the drink to her lips for a taste. It was unlike any wine she'd sampled before, and she had sampled quite a few by now. Sweet tasting with an impeccable texture, she could see how this wine could be popular.

She might have to bring some back with her. Selling Azlat wine would be the first trade conducted between the two cities.

Gwynnestri Ravaneiros

The hour had come, at long last. Gwynn waited in the conference room, seated at the head of the table, the spot and chair usually reserved for her father. Reynard stood behind her. Her guards were collecting the leaders and ambassadors from the ball and leading them down the hall into the dimmed conference room.

Once all were in, the guards that had escorted them resumed their places along the walls. Gwynn nodded and smiled at them as they seated themselves. Once all were settled, she stood.

"I hope you have all been enjoying yourself in your time here," she began. "I am grateful for your interest in joining the Sky Elves as we re-enter the world stage, forming new alliances and strengthening old ones. Knights," here she turned to Helena and Selene, "Avariel," a smile towards Caliane, "Thagretis," a nod at Azlat, "today we unite our peoples in which I hope to be an enduring alliance, in which we all stand to benefit from each other."

Helena Selene Azlat Ushus Caliane Ruinë

Azlat returned to the ball and enjoyed a glass of sky wine, which she'd found readily available. Azlat occupied the ball room for the remainder of the evening's tine, which she kept close track as the hour for their meeting approached. She did enjoy the music and a single dance, but spent most of her time preoccupied with her own mental preparation for the meeting.

Though Azlat was prepared this time, she was still rather new to her role as a diplomat. All had gone well thus far, for an alliance had been forged with Routé – friends in a land Azlat initially believed to hold none. Both were making their entry into a world that was new to them, and common ground was easy to find there.

Azlat hadn't much clue about where to go, but guidance was easy to find. As soon as she'd found the exit, one of the guards found her. He was sent to collect here, and Azlat followed him towards the scheduled meeting place. There, she found more guards waiting along the walls of the dimly lit conference room. Others had already gathered, and Gwynnestri was among them at the head of the table.

Azlat quietly made her way to her seat, turning to Princess Gwynnestri as she spoke and returning a nod when she gave it, with a polite smile back. She too, saw what Azlat saw.

“It is my ple͠asure to atten͢d, and I deeply ag͝ree.”
Azlat replied.

Helena Selene Caliane Ruinë Gwynnestri Ravaneiros

• Yay
Reactions: Reynard De Eramant
How strange, Helena found herself thinking, to find herself at the table of such a moment. Where the subjects of old legends came together, to write a new chapter in the chronicles of history.

Helena bowed her head in agreement to the sentiment expressed by the Princess, Ravaneiros. Her heart a flutter in her chest.

"Might we find ourselves stronger, with the bonds of trust we weave today," she said.

Her goals were limited to the protection and prosperity of the Valen Wilds. To help sow peace for the regions around them, and help protect the lands from the greed of mortal machinations.

She wondered, if their goals would truly align. And how she might wield her wit to make it so.

Selene Caliane Ruinë Azlat Ushus Gwynnestri Ravaneiros