Private Tales When The Moon Cries

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Runa

Character Biography
Link
Runa had a woken the next day with more determination then before, she had to find the item that would bring her closer to her goal. She took in a deep breath letting out slowly leaving a cool mist floating high up in the air, there was a bitter chill this morning and so Runa pulled her shawl made out of animal hide closer to her shoulders for warmth.

She mounted her stead and with a pull of the reigns and a soft kick of her heels on the sides of her equine friend she was off down the path the forest so kindly laid before her. Runa allowed her thoughts move in and out of her mind, things of what to expect, what the item might look like, would she even be successful. It all swirled around like a tornado in the dark depths of her brain, until something caught her attention from the corner of her eye.

It was a flash of shadow, someone or thing was following her, keeping her composure and not wanting to give the impression that she was aware of the creature stalking them, she kept her same movement preparing for a sudden ambush if one did so appear.

Father time let time pace without even one shriek of war, as the shadow continued to weave in and out of the tree’s hoping from one place to another, keeping steady pace with the Nordenfiir.

Last edited:
The little game, if one could call it that, continued long into night fall, and while Runa sat around the crackling fire, she watched the shadows that danced on the edge where the fire’s` light couldn’t reach.

The entity remained, just out of reach and yet, she couldn’t make out what this being was, but it wasn’t for a lack of guessing, she’d gone over all that she had read in tomes, songs, and anything of that nature.

Her Imagination ran wild with possibilities, and yet she was on guard in case the creature approached to attack but she had a sinking suspicion that it wasn’t there to harm her, she could feel it and well her above average senses helped in that area.

In time, she fell asleep, only after she placed a protective barrier around the camp with her magical stone runes, as the morning birds chirped to welcome dawn, Runa awoke with fluttered eye lashes and blue face staring down at her with big black eyes and eerie wide smile, out of instinct Runa quickly raised her hand and punched the creature square on its nose, or at least she thought it had a nose.

The whole moment happened so fast that she couldn’t recall if she saw a nose, whether there was a nose or not she was punching the face, to get it to go away, a loud whimper and hiss shout of the creatures mouth as it toppled over placing blue webbed hands over it’s face.

“OUCH!” replied the creature in a squeaky way.

“Hey that hurt, why do human’s always want too . . .” The creature paused taking its hand’s away from its face and wiggled it’s nose, it did have a nose, though it looked like it had been smooshed into its face, it wasn’t a pleasant sight, but like in a flash of glowing white light, it’s nose was back in place and looked like new again.

Rune quickly sat up watching this and blinked, she was going for weapon when the creature called out now holding out its hand.

“Stop, I’m not here to hurt you, I’m here to help.” The creature stated.

Runa paused now skeptical but watched the being, then as her mind slowly moved through the morning haze, she realized that her barrier magic hadn’t worked, this being shouldn’t have been able to get into the camp.

“Who, what are you?” She groggily stated.

The creature’s face went from concern to some who had just been given their favorite toy, in a flash the smile was back, the creature stood fully now. Runa’s eyes trailed over its slender blue form that was hidden by what looked to be clothing made out of what falls on the forest bed, it was a good thing, as thank goodness the pants were made well enough to hide whatever was under it.

This creature seemed to be like a fish, but not a fish, this was something she hadn’t seen before, there were no gills like a fish on its neck, yes it had webbed hands and feet but not in a usual fishy way. She watched closely as it’s dark eyes, no, not normally dark, as if their pupils where just that, pupil’s no white or pink to indicate a human eye’s no this creatures eyes were just all black.

“I’m a water nymph, and your spirit guide, I’m here to get you where you need and no more.” It then made a weird smirk.

“I do not envy you, If I were you, I’d just turn around and run, but then if you did that, I wouldn't.” The creature paused.

“I’m babbling again aren’t I, I’m sorry, I’m sorry, forgive me, lets begin again, Hi, I’m Bribal and I’m your spirit guide.” Bribal held out webbed hand.

Runa watched confused for a moment then eyed the hand and sighed taking it carefully and shaking it up and down.

“So, where do we go from here?” Replied Runa, letting go of the creature’s hand, to her surprise it wasn’t slimy as one would expect, nope it was soft and firm, which made it still a tad unsettling.

“We go that away for two days, and then it’s all you.” Bribal gestured and then with that the creature stepped back waiting for Runa to get her bearings.

She watched him closely and weighed her options, did she really have a choice, she had to get this item to full fill her quest and she had no clue how to do it, and most likely could die, maybe this was the test.

A flash of resolved appeared in her eyes as she nodded her head standing packing up her items and making sure the fire was completely out before she turned toward the creature.

“Alright, you win, do you wish to ride with me or walk?” The creature made a comical face and shook his head.

“No, no, I’ll walk, riding cows aren’t my thing.” Runa arched a brow and simply shrugged and moved toward her horse unstrapping the reigns from the tree, and then hoping up on the animal.

“Let’s go then, lead the way.” She stated gently kicking the sides of the horse once more, in the direction the creature said.

As the two unlikely beings that were only connected by a small strand called quest, they seemed to slowly find things in common, such as the being found it interesting that the woman could change into a bear, and she found it interesting that he could pretty much shift into whatever he wished, as long as it was water.

Runa and Bribal would laugh and joke through the two days, as well as come to different blocks in their path, from Bribal not realizing snakes did not take kindly being forced into a belt around one’s hips, and Runa running into a few thieves trying to steal items from camp.

So, two frozen meat popsicle later, the two found their way to their destination, Bribal had led them to a very large lake, that had a equally large white stone resting in the middle of it, the stone sparkled in the light of the falling sun, which was saying goodnight to all the creatures of the forest, with its lovely shades of purples, pinks, oranges, and yellows in the sky.

She’d hop of her horse moving the four legged animal to a close tree and strapping the three with it’s reigns. Runa turned back on her heels studying the lake as a slow mist began to form on its blue waters.

“Beautiful isn’t it?” Asked Bribal with pride as he turned his head toward Runa.

Runa simply nodded her head, as she was still taking in the sights.

“What now?” She replied turning her head to the side to look at Bribal.

He gestured toward the sky and then the stone.

“You wait, don’t worry it won’t take long, but I can’t stay, I fulfilled my quest now its up to you.” The creature stated patting Runa’s shoulder pulling his hand away and began to walk toward the water.

“Peace be with you.” She called toward him, in thanks for all the help the creature had given her.

Bribal paused and turned his head to the side.

“And to you Runa, and to you.” He’d turn back to the water and Runa watched as he slowly entered the lake and soon disappeared under its chili touch.

Runa moved toward a bolder and quietly climbed upon it to sit and watch the colors of the sun fade into a deep dark black with shimmering diamonds for stars. As she watched her body began to feel heavy, she thought not nothing of it at first, after all she had traveled quiet far.

The white stone that glowed seemed to become brighter, perhaps it was a trick of her mind she thought, as she watched the mysterious bolder, and a single cloud moved along the night sky to reveal the silver goddess, the moon. She allowed her long silvery hair cascade down upon those below, comforting creatures with its beautiful rays of light.

Runa gently sighed out of amazement at how beautiful the scene looked and for a moment she was transfixed on it, unable to look away until something large began to glow even brighter then the moon, the stone that she had been staring at earlier.

It seemed that the moon had been feeding the rock it’s light and returned made it glow far beyond anything Runa had seen before, it was surprising to her that the light didn’t hurt her eyes, but again she lived in a world of magic.

She found herself being pulled forward and yet she fought back and then a soft soothing voice called to her.

“Be night afraid Runa my child, come to me and let me guide your path.” It was a woman’s voice that seemed instantly make her bones feel at easy and so, she gave in a little, and yet Runa was afraid of the unknown.

“Child, to find what you have journeyed for you must give in and dive into the unknown.” The voice called again, this time Runa could swear she could feel the tendrils of the moon’s translucent rays wrap around her and pull her to the edge of the water.

In that split second she could feel her heart race with fear, excitement, and fear again, then the idea that the item she had to get, could help someone she cared for, this helped calm the fears and embrace the excitement and with a deep breath she allowed the moon to pull her into the water, only diving when the water was deep enough, she swam within the bitter cold waters that threatened to make her scream in pain, but she continued.

The voice still calling to her, to come closer and then in a flash darkness took over, and she was numb.

Runa awoke to see nothing but darkness once more, her body shivered but she was floating, she wasn’t under water any more, no she was breathing but where was she, soon a light appeared ahead of her, she tried to move but couldn’t.

She struggled again but again she failed to move from her floating position, Runa squinted her eyes as to try to see what the light could be or what was in it, and soon as if reading her mind a shadow appeared, the shadow would get closer and closer until she could clear make out what was standing before her.

It was her, she was staring at herself like a mirror but she was different, much older, white had founds its way into her red hair, her face showed signs of age with wrinkles along the cheeks, eyes, lips and chin, and yet she still looked in shape.

“Am I dead?” Runa asked.

The old woman smiled and shook her head.

“No, child not yet, but you will be.” The woman Replied.

“What must I do?” She asked feeling herself grow numb by the minute.

The old woman seemed to ponder this question and began to move around Runa slowly, Runa did her best to follow with her eyes, but she couldn’t move much.

“Why ask me, you already know, what hides beneath that is long forgotten and yet it is not.” The old woman asked again circling Runa.

Runa closed her eyes, she hated riddles, and then she felt a quiver in her belly become sharp pains, she didn’t have much time left. She began to breath slowly and think over the words and how they were phrased, what did she already know, what was forgotten but not forgotten.

She began to guess, and each guess the Old woman would only shake her head and the pain began to grow stronger and move further up toward her chest. It was obvious panic began to grow within Runa and then as she could feel the pain of her heart slow, an image flashed in her mind and her mouth parted.

“Love.” She gurgled the last image that Runa saw was the old woman smiling and then darkness took her over.

A few moments later Runa awoke harshly upon the bank of the lake, she was choking up the cold water and spitting it on the sand, breathing heavily as her red locks were matted to her face she looked around.

“Where am I?” She gasped as she looked up, it was night, the trees swayed with the breeze the moon was above and her horse stomped the ground, no she was very much alive, turning her head, a white glow peeked out from under the sand.

She began to dig through the dirt and soon her fingers touched a beautiful glass vial that held a white liquid that glowed brighter then the sun.

Runa smiled relieved hugging the item to her chest and then she remembered what had happened slowly and soon, her heart didn’t feel as guarded as before, she stood quickly heading toward her horse, unstrapping the reigns an swiftly mounted the beast and off she darted back toward the witch. Item in hand.