Completed What Winter Makes of Us

Perrine Urahil

i CaN hEaL hIm !
Character Biography
Link
"Proctor Urahil?"

Perri lifted her weary head, blinking up at the Initiate that pulled her attention from the page she had pretended to read to mask her exhaustion. Between teaching etiquette at the Academy to being pulled out to Vel Anir to heal Dreadlords and various Anirian Guards, Perrine had the family woes set upon her. Her mentality was hanging by exposed threads, and she did her best to mend them before putting on a brave face.

"Liv-- Initiate Quinnick." She corrected herself. She allowed the slip up with the twins, their likeness to her obvious that they were family. Perrine knew Livia, knew her older brothers more. They had met once, five years ago. She had questioned at the time why two handsome brothers brought along their then twelve year old sister to a party they hosted.

Livia pulled a chair towards the desk set at the top corner by the window, the view nothing special other than the view of the bare shrubs below.
"This is not an etiquette question... more so that of being a Fourth Rank Dreadlord." Whereas her tone was to the point, her expression carried a worry Perri did not think she would catch sight of on a Quinnick.

"I did not have much say in it. I did not finish an education at the Academy before they pulled me in at 16. Never thought to ask me if I wanted to test my might and go up a rank..." The truthful words felt like they were lacking for an answer, and when Quinnick's expression did not change, Perri exhaled slowly and calmly. "For me, I have freedom. Yes, I could be Third Rank if I wanted, but I have luxuries I want to enjoy. At first, I was angry. Healing is so rare a gift among Dreadlords, but I am to remain so lowly?"

"And you are a Urahil."

"I am a Urahil." Perrine nodded, pursing her lips tight as her fingers drummed across the walnut desk. "Felix thinks I could be more but... he has soon come to realise that he has more say over me when I am Fourth Rank." And less feathers to ruffle.

Livia's quiet gave Perri a chance to study the young Initiate. She looked just the same, having grown into herself since she had seen her last. The silver ends to her hair were new. The cost of her magic corrupting, she had read in Quinnick's file.

"What curiosities plague you, Livia Quinnick?"

"I do not know what my life will be after I leave this place. I am nothing more than a glorified compass. A bloodhound. If I join the Dreadlords, I am most likely a Fourth Rank, and yet the Anirian Guard have expressed interest in me."

Perri winced at that. It was almost insulting for an Initiate to be considered for the Guard.

"But... I have magic. I still need to work with it--"

"Is your magic not corrupted?"

"Well..." With a quick glance around the room, the rest of the class had filtered out by the time Livia had taken a seat. Plenty of Intiates wanted to leave Etiquette Class the minute it ended. "I worked with an Archon when it became clear that after three years of being here, no Dreadlord was up to the task of fixing me. The Archon heard my case and... we discovered my magic is corruption."

• Popcorn
Reactions: VigiloConfido
Livia sold the lie well. She had never uttered any words to do with the Taskforce before, and she would not, even to those in the Taskforce alongside her. Not unless they were at the training grounds.

"It has taken me a good while to think on it... but I want to be better than finding things. That is where I come to you and ask if you would like to help me."

She saw the mild panic in the Proctor's eyes, a curious shade close to periwinkle. Livia smiled, as if that alone could convince the older woman.

"You... you want my help?" Proctor Urahil did her best not to sound so doubtful.

"Of course. I want to test this magic... on the theory that I could disrupt other magic." Livia shrugged. "Best to start with someone that could heal, right?"

"I cannot fault the logic there." Perrine did not hide the amusement in her voice; a smile stretched at her lips as the idea began to appeal to her. "It would be interesting. Even a slight disruption could save your life or others..."

Liv shifted excitedly in her seat, leaning forward as her voice lowered. "That is what I was thinking. If I could chip away slowly to start, would I be able to bring down defenses? If I could in theory, make something not work... like slow down your healing magic?"

• Popcorn
Perrine shrugged. She stood up and gestured that Livia should follow her, moving out form behind her desk and to the adjacent room at the back of the classroom where she had things set up like a dining room. Only today, the table was bare.

On her way into the dining room, Perri picked up a fruit bowl by the wall and carried it to the table. She set down three apples, waving a hand over them as she presented them to Livia. "We can start on these."

Livia's face flickered with disappointment before being hidden behind a deadpanned expression. "On fruit."

"Well, I also heard you do not have a lot of control over this magic."

"I-" Livia set her jaw tight, crossing her arms as she approached the table and scowled at each of the apples. "This is a chance to use a little of it."

"So you agree that working on something smaller will still achieve the results you want." Perrine challenged the Initiate to deny it, but Livia sighed and took a seat. The Proctor moved to sit in the seat opposite Livia, reaching out to pick up an apple and lightly slam it into the wood enough to bruise it. The second apple, she smashed it into the corner, effectively piercing the green skin and releasing the juices that ended up running down her wrist. The third, Perrine reached for the knife she kept in a pocket to her light armour. She had no time before the class to change, having come straight from Vel Anir. Most had thought she would be dressed in white, to look more of a medic or healer but she was not at all useless as a Dreadlord. The third apple would be sliced into quarters, her skill with a sharp blade on display as she skinned one of the slices.

Livia watched her hands, staring and trying not to think of it as flesh.

"I do not know how to start this." She admitted. Her olive eyes lifted to meet Perrine's gaze, who skewered her with an odd look.

"Have you corrupted much in the past? Perhaps if you tell me how it works... how it feels?" Proctor Urahil could sympathize with Livia. When she realised she could damage in addition to healing, she kept getting into her own head and ended up healing what she injured. Perhaps if she were more in tune with it, she would stop feeling the pain she could inflict. She had Odessa to thank for being the test subject to her discoveries, a cousin that was able to heal herself.

• Popcorn
"It feels like... a pendulum swinging."
Livia never knew how long she could hold the control, but the more she used it, braved feeling it's crackling energy, she felt as if she were clawing to keep it in her control. She was getting stronger.
And soon that pendulum will come to a stop.

"It used to be triggered by emotion, anger being the worst of it." She bitterly continued. "There is a lot less to be angry about now... and it keeps things clearer for me. I actually started meditating with Maseno." Still, she was skeptical on whether it was beneficial, but she could not fault that it has helped her mindset.

"If it is control you need to help center yourself again, then you can lean on the divining magic. From what I have heard and read, you are not half bad at it"

Livia nodded. She should trust on that magic, at least that one she had known since she was young. It was her comfort before the corruption, but even now, Quinnick still had a hold on it and learned to deal with the pain it rendered in her.

"Alright. Let us start with the bruised apple."

Perrine picked up the apple, rolling it onto her palm and moving her other hand to cover it. She did not close her eyes, only dropping her gaze as if she were reading something on the table before her. From where she sat, Livia could see her eyes glow brighter. It was subtle, but it was such a peculiar hue of lavender for Liv to notice.

And then she felt it. She felt the rush of power before her, and then moments later she could see the apple and it's bruises slowly return to it's natural state.

Instinct had Livia reach with her hand, grasping the wrist of the hand above the apple. Summoning her magic, she felt it crackle about her frame and willed it to her hand, to make it's course for Perrine's magic.

• Popcorn
Perri did not think anything of Livia's hand grabbing her own, at least until she felt that crackling energy seep into her flesh. She winced, flincing and dropped the apple. A bruise would develop there, after she had done her work on restoring it back to it's freshly plucked from a tree shape. She cradled her stinging hand to her chest, staring at Livia with annoyance and wonder.

"Did you know I heal with my hands?"

Livia slowly shook her head, her brows furrowing with unsaid question.

Perrine peered down at her wounded hand, seeing nothing. She certainly had felt the effects, felt the pain. Was that how she worked, with her corruption? To inflict pain? It did not make all sense, but they were operating on theories at this moment. Livia was silent, and Perrine knew that type of silence that came from being a burden to a parent. So she softened her face now, lifting her hand to show that she was not overly hurt. "I used to have an aunt that threatened to cut off my hands if I did not fix her blemishes on her face. If I did not tend to her, then no one else deserved my gifts." She would keep Livia innocent of what unsavoury thing Perrine had told her aunt.

"And now that I think of it... I think you were successful just now. You triggered the magic that harms than heals..." Perrine picked up the apple, which was perfect save for the new bruise it received from her dropping it. Not quite the result they were looking for.

"I did?" Livia took the apple from the Proctor, studying it with a frown. She had expected something visual, something to leave a trace. Maybe she did not corrupt the vein of magic she had intended.

"I say we try that again."

• Popcorn
Livia had more confidence this time round, placing a hand on Perri's as she moved onto the second apple. The skin had blistered and broke, the inside slowly going brown. She willed her magic to be at the ready, waiting for the moment the Proctor would begin to heal the apple.

The hand beneath her own grew warm, turning hot to the touch as Perrine's healing began. Livia focused on it, trying to find the right point in the magical trace to corrupt the work being done. The apple began to reform, the green skin looking healthy again. She was running out of time, watching the last few dents now remaining and waiting to be healed.

Livia held her breath, sending another shock of energy to the magic beneath her palm. She heard Perri wince, but other than that, Livia could feel her magic surrounding the apple. It did not undo the work, perhaps that was not in the cards for her efforts, but it certainly did make the Proctor unable to heal until Livia finally released her hand to rest on the table before her.

Quinnick grinnned, waiting for the Proctor to tell her what she had felt this time.

• Popcorn
"Your magic has an unique sting to it." Otherwise, Perrine rewarded her with a large smile. "I think for a beginning theory, you are not far off it. It was as if you changed your tactics this round. Did you use your divining magic? To locate the other magic at work?"

"I... believe I did. Feels extremely satisfying being able to make the two magicks work together." Livia grinned, pleased with herself. There had been countless times her energy was spent on reining control on the corruption magic, unable to make her other magic sing the same tune. "I need a break. Suddenly... I am feeling anxious and odd."

Perrine raised a brow, looking to the Initiate before dropping her gaze to the apples and going the extra step to return them to their pristine states. There was no need to waste perfectly good food. "Can I ask what it is that troubles you? Is it in connection to your magic?"

Her periwinkle eyes moved to Livia again when she shifted in her seat. The Proctor waited patiently. She had been rather removed from connecting with the Initiates in her Etiquette classes, finding that by being pulled away to various places left her prioritising other things than to learning more names. She had to constantly hide her surprise when she thought a new Initiate had joined her classes, but other than the key students that interacted with the Proctor, Perrine only bothered to check up on the twins.

She had been surprised Livia had approached her at all.

"I know your brothers. I think we met once too. Someone had ruined the stucco art on the dining room wall to your family holiday home in Vel Odren. I thought to myself, why is there a child here? You watched me patch up the stucco at dawn. It hurt me to see it like that, but I also think it saved all your hides from your mother." Perrine had no clue what made her speak. Not until Livia had smiled did she realise she was going about this with good intentions. "I ended up asking Bannon why they brought you along. His answer made me wish I had older brothers..." In hindsight, she was also glad she did not have any siblings. Being an only child was another blessing of freedom she got to enjoy.

• Popcorn
Livia had been convinced most forgot she had been there at the family holiday home, just as her parents had forgotten to organise something for Livia to do while they traveled abroad. She had begged they take her with them, but they assured her she would be bored listening to traders and finances and the sort.

So it was her two older brothers that decided to include her, to make sure she was not left on her own. They made sure to have two days before their wild party where they indulged in Livia's every whim. From attempting to bake, walking along the water, or even playing their favourite game, Livia had a smile on her face. And even during their party with invited friends, they made sure to check in on her during the night.

"I do not deserve them, my brothers. My father favoured me heavily because of my gift. It runs in the family, barely detectable or useful in most Quinnicks, but rare cases would it manifest to something useful. My father is good at seeing what is in front of him... but I am capable of more. Okko and Bannon are skilled in finding solutions." Livia peeked at the Proctor, almost certain she had brought up her family as a way to settle her anxieties. "I used to wonder if they hated that I was getting all the attention. They always said it left them being able to not grow up with such responsibilty."

"A conversation we have had every time we all had gotten together. They keep good company of friends." Perrine grinned. "I even fancied Bannon. Okko is equally blessed with a handsome face, as all you Quinnicks are, but I think if I had to choose, it would most certainly be Bannon."

Livia squished her face in mock distaste, shaking her head at the Proctor. It was certainly not the first time she heard similar growing up, but to hear it from Perrine Urahil made her laugh.

"You did your job. That anxious feeling is gone." Laughter settled at her lips, curving them as her olive eyes fell to the pristine apples between them.

• Popcorn
The mischief and glee in her eyes faded as the Proctor mask was fitted back on. The ears of a healer now listening.

"It may be gone now, but it can always return. It is why I asked if it came on with your use of magic." Perrine's father suffered dark thoughts, to the point she had tried her best to help ease them. He could not say she was a useless healer after they have bonded over her being insistent that he listen. It was only the two of them, her mother quick to leave when she was younger. She never thought to ask if she was alive or dead.

Livia bit down on her bottom lip in thought -- something Bannon did also, Perri noted -- and loosed the breath caught in her lungs.
"I experience anxiety often. I believe it prominently started prior to my arrival here. Who can be sure if it was the incident with my father or the corruption magic... but I tend to not be able to sleep at night because of it. That and I can never seem to turn off the compass in me." She snorted, arms moving to cross over at her chest. "I try and see it as a positive. At least I am good at keeping watch on a mission should they need someone to stay awake while the rest sleep. At least I am able to function with little sleep."

"Do you get anxious at what you will be doing after the Academy? Have you considered being in the reserves?" Perrine was certain she could guess Livia's answer as she asked the question. From what she heard amongst the other Proctors, Livia was one of their best students on book, certainly not to be trifled with in combat but still had a long ways ahead to improve. She was driven, and that was all they could ask for in an Initiate.

"If I return to the life of a noble daughter, my mother would force me into the marriage mart and I cannot begin to think of the horrible potentials out there." Quinnick all but shuddered at the thought.

Even Perrine grimaced at the sheer thought of a mother going at lengths to ensure an advantageous match.

"That makes a strong case." She chuckled. "If I were anyone of note and intelligence, I would say your skill set as a Living Compass is suited to more... stealth work. Murderers, criminals, and enemies beware. But..." Perrine pushed her seat away from the table and stood up, "... being able to corrupt one's magic? If you were able to work with that on a large magnitude, imagine the magical wards, runes, seals.... you get what I mean. You would bring down defenses." Perrine shrugged, her hands lifting with the motion. "As I said, if I were anyone with intelligence or the qualification to give such advice. Consider all options. A lot of Initiates have that at least." Whereas Perrine did not. Healing was a position that lacked within the Dreadlord army. She could fix bone and more within seconds.

• Popcorn
"Then I am glad to have another year before having to truly think about my options." Livia slowly got up from her seat, mirroring the Proctor in pushing her chair back in to the table.

"Do you enjoy being a Proctor?" Her tone was tentative, quiet and unsure if such a question would cross some line. She was still an Initiate talking to a Proctor, and certainly would not ask this question to any other educator tasked with shaping her cohorts for life outside the Academy.

Perrine's eyes widened momentarily, as if caught off guard and left on display. "Well..." she started, walking back towards the classroom, Livia following quietly. "I can come to terms of my position here... but if I did not have Leander or Odessa to watch out for, I would not be here. Even if I was offered another subject to teach... I would not put myself in this position again." With an apologetic smile, the Proctor did little to hide the weariness setting into her facade. "Would you like to continue more magic training later this week? I just... I need collapse into bed until morning."

Livia's cheeks burned. "Oh gods. I am sorry for keeping you!" Her protests were waved off, but Livia continued. "Next time, just tell me. I can wait. I rather we both be well reste--"

"Livia." Perrine laughed, turning the Initiate around and lightly pushed her towards the door. "Really, I did not mind helping you. It is refreshing to have an Initiate not hellbent on ruining my class. I am glad you asked, alright? Please. I prefer being useful with healing than teaching a class that could care less about a class that makes many of them hate me for growing up with such privilege."

Livia made it out the door, where Perrine dropped her hands from her shoulder and turned to close and lock the door.

"Fine. I will meet you after our next class." She decided, walking backwards some way with a smile on her lips. "Thank you, Proctor Urahil." She added a little louder, turning to continue her way to her dorm.

Perrine watched her go, standing by the door until she turned the corner. The Proctor let out a long sigh, closing her eyes and pinching the bridge of her nose. She hoped her honest answers would not dissuade Quinnick into pursuing what she wanted, only to give her knowledge in order to make the right decision.

• Popcorn