Private Tales Under the Stars

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
"True." He was probably right. Proctors were just more puppets of the Academy like them. Even like the Dreadlords who'd graduated.

She gently squeezed his knee.

"What did you see me doing after graduation?"

She was curious now.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Harry
He frowned at the hair in his grasp. His chest rose and fell in sync with a heavy breath.

"I see you far from here," He spoke softly, "Here- I mean far from Vel Anir. Not that I think it's possible, but..."

His voice trailed and he shrugged. If there were words that could describe how he felt, he was incapable of finding them.

"You know, I've read several of those tomes that contain information on Dreadlords." A section in the Archives- each book there was written for a single Dreadlord. Every ranking Dreadlord has one made for them, where all their deeds and histories are recorded. "A surprising amount simply go missing."

He finally looked at her, "Never seen again."

• Wonder
Reactions: Sierra
“Hmmm,” she looked up at him. There was that distant memory again. Hunting down the runaways. Arrows met soft flesh. Surprise on both sides.

The feeling of Hal’s fingers through her hair helped her push those thoughts aside.

“I’m assuming the authors didn't record their own disappearances?” A ghost of a smile flickered on her lips. Arm looped around his back again, long done with those invisible spiders. “I remember seeing some of those. I’d assumed that they’d died on a mission. Or been betrayed. But perhaps there’s a happier ending? Perhaps some made new identities and lives. Became farmers. Fishermen.”

She looked up at him. Those vibrant blues drawing her in.

“Would you want your own story to end like that?”

• Thoughtful
Would he want his story to end like that?

"Yes."

Did he believe it would?

He ran his fingers through her hair until the last strand fell from between his fingers.

No.

"The Archivist and his scribes probably do all the recording," Their interlocked arms made him happy. He found it impossible to break their gaze.

"What do you think sounds nice? I think farming is out of the question for me."

Last edited:
  • Cheer
Did he say that because that's how he grew up and didn't want to reminded of his family. His sister? Or perhaps it was because of something else entirely.

"Maybe return to a small town by the sea. For from Vel Anir. Create a touring company. Or fish. Perhaps learn smithery," a small smile as she drew closer and would go to plant a gentle, lingering kiss on his lips.

Now? She felt like she could run with him very easily. But a small part of her knew she'd never be able to outrun what she was made for. What she'd done. All those killings. She'd never be able to outrun those.

• Cry
“I’d like to go far west or east. I’ve always wanted to see the Spine.”

The kiss halted all thought. He savored it.

As they separated, he smiled.

“Fishing doesn’t sound so bad, either. I like fish.” It was clear he didn’t understand what being a fisherman entailed. He didn’t understand much of any type of profession other than what they learned: Killing.

“Maybe I can make ice art for rich Elbion or Allirian folk. You know, the types that piss away money like it’s nothing. You could convince them to pay extra.” It was clear that Hal enjoyed the fantasizing. He didn’t know the first thing about art.

The smile faded slightly, “I think I could do anything- be anywhere- with you by my side.”

• Wonder
A small genuine laugh bubbled from her throat. "I could see you make ice sculptures and becoming world renowned for the richest of kings. Maybe bring snow to the children of the dessert tribes who've never seen it before."

Sierra could almost imagine Hal with children. If he was anything like he was around her, he'd do it well. The girl frowned, thoughts stuck on children for a moment. It was something she never allowed herself to think about. More than likely if she had a child, it would be taken to follow the same path she had. There would be a good chance it would be magical, like her.

And she'd never want a child to have this path.

It was a good thing she never intended to have children. Ever. Unless she and Hal were able to get away. For good.

Head rested back on his shoulder. "Maybe one day I could forgive myself for what I've done. With you."

• Cry
What Sierra said last was followed by a long silence. During the silence, thoughts raged in Hal’s mind.

“Are we permitted to love?” He stared forward, possibly posing the question more to himself than her.

Forgiveness was a concept that Hal often didn’t ponder. He was a tool, a weapon wielded by those above him. Trained to feel no qualms, no emotions, and most definitely no love.

Permission aside, would he even know what love was when it came to him? Perhaps what they had went beyond things like conventional bonds and love.

Their connection was something no others could have.

• Yay
"Sometimes," she began after a drawn moment of silence. "I think I might know what love is. I think I've felt it before from my parents before the Anirian guards came for me."

She shifted against him.

It was that look her father gave her mother when he didn't think she was looking. When he was angry and he chose to show compassion or a gentleness instead. When her mother was still hungry but offered the last piece of bread to Sierra.

That was all love, wasn't it?

The feeling was a like a mist the empath tried to grasp at, especially since she hadn't felt it in a long time. Maybe that's why she was different. Maybe that's why things had never felt right - even with all what the Academy taught. If she hadn't been an empath would she have just accept all they taught her? Others had. Igot. Perhaps Luther?

Then why was Hal able to question things too?

Was it because of her?

"Hal I don't know." She finally answered directly. The fire was warm on her face and Hal cold along her side. Warring feelings. "I know that if someone at the Academy saw us now, we'd be punished."

• Cheer
"Right, we would be." He laughed at the idea. Punishment was an understatement, "I'm happy like this. I don't want to go back."

Silence came over him. He looked into the fire in front of them. The discarded remains of fish. Above all else was their peace.

His arm unlocked from hers, and both wrapped around Sierra, pulling her close to him. He let out a deep breath and let his head rest against hers.

"Finished your bow before I went to the river."

• Popcorn
"I don't want to go back either." The girl nestled against his chest as he pulled her onto his lap, legs sprawled out to one of his sides. She didn't want this to end. From her point of view, they could be sustained a long time. They had plenty of food and water. A shelter.

No missions.

Just each other.

Perhaps boredom would set in eventually. But they could figure something else. Sierra didn't know what it was like to be bored and she'd like to experience that one day.

"I wish I could've made you a hammer," she grinned up at him. "Will I be the one in charge of catching our dinner?" There was always more fish if she couldn't find any squirrels.

• Wonder
“Luther always calls me a blockhead,” Hal smiled down at stormy eyes, “If anything needs hammered, my forehead will suffice.”

“I can set up traps, at least.” He mused out loud, “though, any hunting with the bow will be left to you.”

A curious warmth spread through Hal as he looked down at Sierra, who was comfortably nestled against his chest.

• Popcorn
“Luther calls people a lot of things,” she mused quietly. Sierra figured it was a defense mechanism. Growing up in the shadow of his royal family. She wondered if Luther was jealous of Hal. Had he seen the way Sierra’s gaze softened around Hal? That would be dangerous territory.

But Luther was pompous and she wondered if it would be his downfall.

“I don’t think we’ll have to worry about food then.” Eyes closed. She listened to the cadence of Hal’s heartbeat. His steady breath.

• Wonder
"Despite how he can be, I like him. He's... A friend. He's had our backs more than we'd expect of him. I hope he- I hope we all survive this."

His arms tightened around her. Lips quickly planted on the top of her head.

"If nothing else, I'll just have you hunt everything." His head rested back against the hut. Eyes shut soon after Sierra's. Weariness washed over him. Her warm presence and the way they held each other proved to be far too comfortable.

• Bless
Unlike Hal, Sierra wasn't sure how she felt about Luther. She trusted him to an extent. But he hadn't exactly hidden his intentions for her. And coming from him, that made her feel a little wary.

Their time on the island seemed like a dream. It easily pushed away thoughts of her other friends: Talus and Luther. Her worries and fears. The dread of the trials and of returning. She and Hal worked as a team. Each day Hal healed and became stronger and stronger. They grew closer and closer, whispering secrets, hopes, and dreams to each other long into the night. Long after the last embers of the fire burned away.

She'd grown accustomed to Hal running his fingers through her hair as she lay next to him before they each drifted off. They shared more moments like the one in the river. Each time, the other becoming more confident - more at ease.

And maybe deep down, she knew it wouldn't last.

She heard the sounds of the boats first. She and Hal were nestled together in the hut he'd built. It didn't take long for either of them to get on clothes and make their way to the beach. Luther's sneering smile broken by a scar across his face met them first, along with a few Vel Anirian guards. He was glad they were alive but Sierra didn't miss feeling the twinge of suspicion in her friend.

Perhaps even jealousy?

She found herself wanting to reach for Hal's hand but stopped herself just in time. It was a habit she'd have to break. Have to hide. There was no escaping Vel Anir. Or the Dreadlords. And not it was too dangerous to be with Hal.

For now.

• Cry