Private Tales Trusting Thieves

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
The Allirian knocked on the door on the first floor that he had pointed out to Silver when they first arrived. The taps were solid but no more than taps. No answer came so he tried once more. Still no answer. So the man took hold of the handle and went in. The room was still relatively dark as the window was covered in a cloth and the bed had its sheets move a bit. He walked over to it and pulled them off as he said, "It is morning old man. Time to eat."

What looked like an older version of Acteon only with gray eyes instead of amber ones and less general hairiness was revealed. The old man scowled as he shielded his eyes. "Alliria damn you with poor fortune boy! How many times must I tell you to let an old man sleep?"

"Not nearly enough for me to listen. Now get up and get decent. We have company this morning."

"Company? What company?" The old man said squinting at his son as he got to his feet.

"A new associate that may be of help to us later." Acteon responded as he moved to help speed things along. He got water into the bowl so his dad could wash his face and hands. Then he moved to pick out some nice clothing. "Before you ask, yes they are a woman but no it is not the one I told you about. I met this new associate last night at the party. The one you dragged me to and I nearly got mugged at."

"The one where some harlot stole some valuable jewels?" Hector said after having splashed his face with water. He frowned and looked to his son. "Do not tell me boy this woman is that harlot."

"She is no harlot old man but she is the one who stole the jewels."

Hector sighed in disappointment. "Bad enough you brought a whore home with you for the night but she is also a thief too. No good can come from this."

Acteon slammed his hand down onto a table making a thud likely loud enough Silver could make out with her inhuman hearing. "She is not a whore or a harlot or anything of the likes. She is our guest and could be of help to us in the future. You were the one who taught me to make lots of connections as you never know when you might need someone's help. So be nice to her. She has had it very rough lately. Lost her family and had to resort to stealing because of it."

Hector's face softened up and he seemed to truly regret his words. "Fine. Fine. But I will not be expected to entertain her nor be responsible for her while she visits. You extended your hand out so you have a duty to make sure she is cared for properly like a good host."

With that Acteon left the room and returned to the kitchen. He had a bit of a frown on his face, but otherwise seemed the same. He just went over and began to get places set at the table for all of them to enjoy breakfast at and got the food onto the table after.

Silver Romani

• Sip
Reactions: Silver Romani
It wasn't difficult to pick up muffled words here and there, and Silver chewed awkwardly on her lip, glancing toward the door and considering leaving, the older Cass was clearly unhappy about her being here. She was out of place here, she didn't know how to interact with people like these in houses like this, people with cities named after them.

Her eyes fell on Acteon as he returned to the kitchen, her cheeks a little flushed as her skin heated.. "Acteon, you've been kind, really. But I should go, I can buy myself a room in the city for a couple of nights, you've put yourself and your father out enough on my account..." she frowned at him, squirming uncomfortably and making a move toward the door.

Silver was getting ready to bolt it seemed. Likely she heard parts of his conversation with his old man. Damned grumpy old coot. This was one of the reasons he never brought people over. That and he did not trust any of them enough with the location of his home. She was different as they shared a secret which would easily get the both of them killed. Mutual survival was reason enough to trust her with his home's location.

But Silver being a bunny rather than a wolf got him to point to one of the seats. "Sit." He said as he finished up his work with the utensils. "He will be in a better mood when he shows up. Old man is just grumpier than a bear when he wakes up. No spending your coin either. I told you to save it for the future and I meant it. Now please sit and let's just have a civil breakfast."

Acteon looked over at Silver and his eyes were less commanding and more pleading. This whole breakfast would be better if she stayed. Her taking off now would just make her look like a harlot and he would rather not deal with what his father would have to say then. Bad enough he was getting looks and comments about another guest that would be coming to stay at a later date for his father to begin adding comments about him bringing whores home. He especially did not want that happening when the other guest arrived. It would not go well....

The Allirian sighed and walked over to the chair he had pointed at. It was the nearest one to Silver. He pulled it out and held it for her to sit in. It was not in the threatening kind of way a sellsword might do to a bounty or a prisoner but rather the kind a gentleman would for a lady. "Please Silver, sit. He will be a moment and I would rather have some more pleasant company before he arrives. Old man always knows how to spoil my mood."

Silver Romani

• Yay
She stopped in her tracks and turned back to him with a sigh as he pointed to the chair.. She wasn't sure why she was this nervous, she'd never really cared about approval but then people weren't normally so kind to her. She was a charmer by nature, a natural born actress usually capable of befriending and manipulating the smartest of people, but here she felt out of her depth. Acteon knew what she was, there was no hiding it, and she felt vulnerable.

Silver watched him for a moment as she considered, but as he asked her again with a 'please' this time she huffed quietly and returned to the table to sit. "Alright..thank you. Just... Please don't let things get awkward." she frowned and returned to chewing on her lip. She didn't particularly care if the old man didn't like her, she'd be pleasant and he could make his own mind up on that, but she needed Acteon to help her and his father might want a say in that. She sighed and straightened herself to sit properly, her back straight and chin lifted, trying to avoid the impression of a common harlot as much as she possibly could.

• Yay
Reactions: Acteon Cass
When Silver finally took him up on his offer of the chair Acteon helped her out by pushing it in for her. A gentleman act that his father had taught him. Alliria was not a city built on this divide of social status and so had not gone out of its way to create many social quirks to reinforce it. But there were a few things that could show which members of the society were use to dealing with important and wealthy people from within and outside the Allirian area. This was one of them.

His new associate now sat down, the Allirian went over and picked up the pitcher of juice. He walked over as she spoke and poured her a glass. The smell of citrus filled the air around them as he did. "Do not worry. It will not get awkward. My old man is not the kind of guy to treat a young woman poorly, or any woman poorly. Harlot or Queen he would give you respect equally. My concern is with how he treats me. I know he will just pick at me to make sure you were treated right and properly while also taking jabs at my character."

Acteon stopped pouring before overfilling her glass. A huff like sigh escaped him. "As if he has any room to speak. This is my home and I allow him to stay here. My coin pays for everything. He would be on the street if I had not taken him in." He got himself a glass poured and then sat himself down.

The man had paused in his little rant for a moment but eventually said as he waved idly to the food on the table, "Eat. No need to wait and it get cold. He will have arrived shortly. You are our guest so you get first right to what you want. It is how we do things in this house. The Cass might be proud but we treat our guests well. And you surely could use a good meal."

Silver Romani

• Yay
Silver fought a smirk as he'd pulled her chair out for her but she dipped her chin in thanks. She listened with a soft frown at his words and took a sip of her juice.. "Well, I can assure him that I've been treated with the upmost care if that's what you're worried about Acteon." her head tilted at him, watching his frustration and reaching to settle a hand on his arm for a brief moment in effort to ease him as he sat.

Silver gave a small nod "You're not wrong there.." she smiled and helped herself to a small amount of everything. It wasn't often she got to eat anything as exciting, and she tucked in eagerly whilst trying to maintain politeness, her eyes glancing up toward the door every so often as she expected the older Cass to appear and start judging her. "It's wonderful." she commented warmly.

• Yay
Acteon sat down and waited for Silver to get her meal. It was not much of a meal if he was being honest as it all was rather simple and common, aside from the oranges and honey, but it was still better than what he and his father normally ate. Bread, beans, and some bacon was the usual breakfast. No fruit. Plain beans. Plain bread. It was more of a soldier and laborer kind of affair, which the two of them sort of where. Hector had spent time with his employees after all to foster more trust and to get a better idea of how his company was truly running from time to time.

"I am pleased you think so about both." Acteon said after she had gotten her food and started eating. He went about getting his own share, making sure to leave some for his father. "After we eat I will need to go with my father to handle a matter then we can go shopping. You are free to roam the house as you wish. After last night it would be best you stay here but I will not stop you from leaving if you feel you must. If you do leave just try to not spend too long away. My business will not take me long."

And with that said he began to eat. A minute later an older looking version of Acteon but with far more care and attention kept to his facial hair walked in. His eyes were gray and his clothing was in the fashion of a merchant rather than that of a jobless man living off of his son. As Hector entered he took a look at Silver Romani and raised a brow.

"I did not expect it was possible for the boy to bring such a beautiful young lady home with him, even just as a house guest. Hector Cass Mistress, a true pleasure." Hector said as he walked up to her. He held out his hand to her as he held his other behind his back in an already slightly bowed position. If she placed her hand in his then she would be graced with a light kiss to the back of her hand and free to remove it whenever she wished.

Acteon frowned a bit at his father. "I normally do not because of how much of an embarrassment you are old man."

Hector feigned being hurt by his son's words. "Is this the thanks a poor father gets for raising and caring for his son for all those years?"

"You raised and cared for me right out the door."

"Yes because you would excell and I knew it. I am such a faithful father."

The old Cass sat down as the younger one just shook his head and went to eating. Hector got his food and made sure to give Silver his attention while making pleasantries. He would even offer to get her more food if she wished.

Silver nodded at Acteon as she ate, she might have another bath if she was being left alone, she wasn’t in any rush to return to the city anyway.

Her attention rose toward the older man as he arrived in the doorway, and she set down her fork and settled her hands in her lap as she waited on his judgement. She hadn’t expected him to be as pleasant as he was, given the raised voices she’d heard from his chambers, but her cheeks warmed at his compliment and a soft smile played on her lips as she watched him approach. “You are very kind..” she chuckled quietly and held out her hand to allow him to take it. “Silver.” She introduced. “Your son has been most kind in insisting that I stay, I hope I haven’t put you out.”

She looked between the men as they threw jibes at one another, and she returned her attention to finishing her meal. “Acteon has had many good things to say about you, Master Cass. His manners and chivalry are clearly a credit to you.” She nodded, glancing at Acteon with a light smile.

• Yay
Acteon focused on eating. He was feeling prickly this morning and it was all due to his father. The old man knew how to get under his skin and both of them knew it. So he decided to remain quiet for now and just let the two of them speak. He had faith Silver would leave a good impression and knew his father would never be rude to a woman.

Hector paused in his eating as Silver began to speak. His rather stoic expression almost seemed to take on a shocked look about it. "The boy had manners and was chivalrous? Clearly you do not speak of my son. I do hope you are well and did not become ill after he clearly struck you upside the head to drag you home with him like some kind of common footpad."

The twitch of a smirk began to form on the edges of the old man's mouth as his son glared at him for a brief moment. The older Cass went on however shortly after his jab at his son. "You are welcome to stay as long as you wish. It is not my house however but the boy's. I can not promise anything concerning him and just pray he does not try to sneak into your room. It is improper to ruin your guest's sleep and make a mess of their bed after all."

Silver Romani

• Thoughtful
Silver looked between the two men as the older Cass seemed to berate his son despite her having paid compliment to his manner, he seemed to enjoy putting him down, and Silver frowned a little. "No sir, I do speak of your son. He's made no such improper advances, has given me a comfortable night's sleep, a warm bath and this breakfast that he prepared for you also.." her head tilted at him and she looked back down at her meal..

"I've met many of the sorts of men that you describe, Master Cass, but your son isn't one of them. I know if my son or daughter cared for me in the way he obviously cares for you I'd be proud and grateful rather than slandering his name to strangers... sir." she cleared her throat.

• Yay
The older Cass just sat back and listened to the gypsy as she began to tell him how wonderful his son was being. It was amusing him clearly. A smile, although only a slight one, had crept over his lips and he just seemed content to wait for her to finish. Once she had finished speaking (even ending in a sir) he said, "You have a spine Mistress Silver. Excellent. I do believe we will keep you. Weak willed women bore us Cass men. Better a partner than a wife we always say. Not that the boy has any plans to marry you. I believe that honor is going to whoever this mystery guest of his is that he has been frantically preparing for and has told me nothing about."

Acteon gave his father a hard look. "I told you that you will find out when she arrives. There is no reason to know before because it does not matter."

"Perhaps but perhaps it does matter. I do not know because you will not tell me. And if you are going to marry this mystery guest then why did you bring another woman home before then? You claim she is an associate, but for what purpose?" Hector said firm to his son then turned his attention to Silver. "I do hope you know what he has in mind for your association with him Mistress Silver. My son has a bad habit of playing games and not treating people as well as he should. It was what got him in trouble in the past and I know has gotten you into trouble recently with some of your clients. Just because you are smarter then them does not give you any right to use their suffering for more gain."

Acteon just stood up. His old man had gotten under his skin but more importantly he was letting too many things slip. The gypsy might figure him out a bit more because of the context his father had provided and that might make it harder to get what he wanted out of her in the future. So he just made an upset face (which was partly real) and excused himself.

After the younger Cass had left Hector turned to Silver. "He is making me out as the villian here. Typical. Do not let him fool you. His intentions are never what they seem. I love my son and we Cass tend to play rough. It is partly why we use otters for our seal. But Acteon is different. He does not see people as people. Never really has since he was little. Not sure when the change happened but it was after his mother past away. Since then he has used people and never cared for how his actions might effect them. As much as I wish to praise him doing so would just make him worse. So please Mistress Silver by the love of Alliria do not let him fool you with whatever it is you two are doing. He will take control and dominate you if you are not careful."

Silver Romani

• Thoughtful
Silver's lips twitched into a small smirk as Hector seemed to compliment her on her defiance and her eyes rose to him with a slight dip of her chin, choosing to ignore the expression he chose about 'keeping' her. A brow lifted as he spoke of a woman Acteon planned on marrying and she looked to the younger Cass with a small smile and a look of surprise. "He never mentioned that." she smirked, but then they were bickering again and she sighed and dropped her attention to her juice.

Silver's brow furrowed as Hector spoke of Acteon's purpose for her, in truth she didn't know what they were, and she took in his words carefully, glancing to Acteon and watching him get up and leave.

She gave Hector her attention as he poured out warnings about his son and she swirled her drink thoughtfully. She had considered that the man simply didn't have a good relationship with his son and wanted to berate him further, but she also considered that what he was telling her was entirely true. She and Acteon had got off on the wrong foot, she'd found him frustrating but had been since trying to make an effort into correcting her own behaviour and had put it down to her temper. She frowned and gave the man a nod "I'll keep that in mind, sir.. Thank you." she smiled. "Now, I must go tend to my horse and get to the market." she smiled warmly at the man and reached a hand to his to squeeze it. "Enjoy your breakfast."

• Yay
The older Cass smiled slightly to the gypsy as she grasped his hand on her way out. He patted the back of it with his other hand and said, "Do treat my boy well Mistress Silver. Despite it all he needs friends. Real friends. He has his problems but he will be true if you can get past his, oh what did she always call it that the boy adopted? Oh yes! Masks. If you can get past his masks you will know who he truly is. Just do not let his masks fool you."

And with that all done Hector let Silver get on with her day as he finished up his own meal.

Outside of the kitchen leaning against a wall Acteon was waiting for Silver. It was obvious he had heard everything that had been said. Even a normal human could have heard it all let alone someone with their shared elevation of senses. He looked at her with his amber eyes and said, "After you care for your horse I will have a bath ready for you. We will get you new clothes once you are dressed."

The man pushed himself off the wall and took a step then turned his attention back to the woman. "You need a bow for the trip correct? What about some kind of armor? I have a sword for you. The one that fool from yesterday tried to use on us. I think the time you had to spend around him was more than enough for you to have earned it."

The Allirian now waited on answers. His old man had outed him, or at least potentially had, but he was not addressing it. There was no reason to. It was easy to manipulate people if they thought you a liar or saw every action as a means to control them. It put a context around things the both of you were aware of. It could allow chaos when they expected lies yet got the truth. They would overthink and in doing so do half the work for him. That was how he would handle things with others though. Silver was a wolf the same as him and after everything with a certain someone else he was not so sure he wanted to handle this how he handled it with everyone else. Far too many similarities to before were repeating themselves already and it caused some conflict.... Gods he hoped this did not turn into a regular thing for him now. Best he could just view people how he always had, as tools.

Silver Romani

• Popcorn
Silver squeezed the old man's hand back with a soft smile, though she had to force it to meet her eyes. His words worried her, and she decided to keep them in mind when dealing with Acteon. Despite everything he'd taken her in, offered her comfort and help, she knew everything came at a cost but..what cost? She frowned at herself as she turned to leave.

She hadn't realised that Acteon had been waiting outside and she near jumped out of her skin as he spoke, a hand raised to press against her chest as the other reached out to shove his shoulder. "Don't do that!" she growled, amber eyes flashing something more sinister in response to her sudden jolt..

She continued toward the stable, frowning lightly at his words, now a little more tense than she had been at breakfast. "I can get my own bow, Acteon. You've done enough. I'm not trained in swordplay, but I have a couple of knives, I've managed to protect myself thus far with those." she answered, and went to feed and water Raksha.

• Yay
Acteon followed Silver as she continued on her way towards the stable. It seemed he had caught her by surprise. Interesting. He figured she would pay attention to the sounds and scents around her like he did to keep track of where others were. Perhaps her senses were not as keenly developed or she had yet to realize she could do such a thing? Hard to say. It likely was more that his time as a guard and sellsword naturally just caused him to pay more attention to what was going on around him. Regardless he was not bothered by the way she shoved him.

As the gypsy answered his questions the Allirian began to adjust his plans a bit. She seemed keen on getting her own bow, which he could understand. It was always better to choose your own equipment rather than rely on someone else to get it for you. In all likelihood the other person did not understand what you liked and were familiar with. He had dealt with that a few times himself. But what got his brow raised was when she mentioned she did not know how to wield a sword. That was something he could work with.

"The horses have been cared for already. Did it this morning before I woke you. Thought you should know." Acteon said as he got the door for Silver leading into the house's courtyard. "You are welcome to use my brushes however if you wish. She certain could use the attention. The poor girl is in as bad of shape as your hair was when you arrived."

The Allirian gave the gypsy a playful smile. It was less faked, but if she could tell it was hard to say. His mind was still on sorting out the bits of how to approach his new addition to the plan. Quickly though he just settled on a more direct approach.

"Silver how would you like to learn how to properly use weapons? Not just a sword but about anything you get your hands on. A hatchet. A club. A pitchfork." Acteon was looking directly at her. His eyes had an expecting presence behind them. He clearly had something in mind for her.

Silver Romani

Silver pointed at the man with a hint of irritation on her face "Hey. You can insult me all you want but don't insult my horse." she frowned.. "Besides, I think I was in a rather fetching silk gown when we first met, there was nothing wrong with my hair." she huffed and continued toward the stables to see Raksha.

She paused though and quirked a brow "A pitchfork?? What do you take me for, some sort of savage?.." she asked incredulously and studied his eyes with curiosity. "I use knives and a bow perfectly well.. I'm afraid I don't understand your intentions, Acteon.. The way your father sees it is that you're using me for your own gain, I'd like to know what it is exactly that you plan on using me for." her gaze narrowed.

• Yay
The gypsy seemed to have issue with what the Allirian had to say. It was somewhat comical to him and he just smirked as she spoke. When she finally mentioned the pitchfork and not being a savage he said, "A pitchfork is a spear with several points to stick someone with. You can even use it to entangle another person's weapon and disarm them. It is how you use it that takes it from savage to civilized. And I wish to show you how to make any item civilized."

Then came the real question and issue. It was about what his father had said to her about being wary of him. That should have been her obvious response to anyone let alone just him. Why it was only now she was getting so cautious again was something she should be more focused on than anything else if you asked him. But he was going to have to address it now.

Without even a moment of hesitation Acteon replied to Silver. "I plan to use you to regain what my family lost and then bring not just Alliria but the entire Reach into a more secure position. Forcibly if I must at that."

The Allirian leaned against the stable as he watched the gypsy. His eyes met her own and reflected he was serious in what he was saying. "I do not know how aware you are of what is going on in the wider world but some powerful states are forming. That self proclaimed Empire in Amol-kalit, Vel Anir expanding, and I am certain other groups keeping their activities less blatant. Alliria and the Reach currently have no means of dealing with these powers if they set their sights on the region and its wealth. The council of merchants is corrupt and in need of reformation. Few of the Reach states have much of an army or navy as they rely more on the Allirian Guard than their own men. This leaves the Guard spread thin naturally and the navy is more for escorting trade ships than true naval engagements. Anyone coming in to conquer with some amount of speed could topple Alliria and with Alliria lost the entire region would be crippled economically and militarily."

Acteon shifted his weight a bit as he frowned slightly. "I would rather not see that happen nor have foreigners think they own now what is rightfully ours." He moved into the stable and got the brushes for the horses out. He held it out towards Silver. "And I can try to create a place that can tolerate if not accept people like us. There are many who are put into unwilling conditions that would see them outcast from societies if found out."

Silver Romani

Silver growled and snapped "Oh! Acteon! I know what a fucking pitchfork is! When will you stop treating me like I'm stupid!?" she glowered at him. "I'm not carrying around a pitchfork as a weapon, I can look after myself fine without one." she frowned.

She stared at him incredulously as he spoke of what he'd intended on using her for, and the word forcibly caused her gaze to narrow. She didn't like the idea of being used for anything. Silver allowed him to speak and she blinked at him with a shake of her head as she took what seemed like all of the world's problems in at once.

"I don't care about any of that." she shrugged defiantly and opened the stable door to pull Raksha into the yard. "And I don't know how you intend on using me at all, but I won't be letting you use me for any of it. I'm leaving. I'll find the help I need elsewhere. I don't need you to teach me things or buy me clothes or cook for me or to brush my horse. You'll use me for what you need from me and discard me like everyone else. I'm far better off on my own." she huffed, and pulled herself up into her saddle.

• Yay
As Acteon listened to what Silver had to say to him began to frown. Where had this temper of her's flared up from? Was it the nearness of the transformation or was she just that opposed to the idea of any sort of personal change? Was she the type that refused help if it was not her idea? It was impossible to say. But he had some things to do.

While the woman might be in her saddle the way out was easily blocked by a single body, so he blocked her way out. He looked at her with a serious look on his face. "I have not once treated you as if you are stupid and never once implied I was going to make you carry a pitchfork around. It was an example of an improvised weapon. I have had to use those more than a few times."

The man shifted his weight a bit during the pause. "As for how I intend to use you that would be entirely up to what you are willing to do. I understand not wanting to be used by others but it is inevitable. Intentional or not we all end up using each other. That does not make it wrong. Only refusing to be used in return makes it wrong. Say you do not care. Say you will find help somewhere else. But do not act as if you are better off on your own. You have killed people you did not wish to kill as the wolf because you are on your own. You are struggling to simply survive on your own. You are forced to flee from place to place with no final destination in sight because you are on your own. It clearly is not working."

The Allirian was frowning by this point. He hated to admit it to himself but there was something he did not say and needed to despite how much he hated it. So he went on after a sigh. "Everything has a price. You need help. I need help. So the price in this situation would be in us helping each other." He sighed again. "And this is something my father does not know because it is new even to me but I am not helping you out simply because I want to use you. I am helping you out because you are like me. This was not a circumstance either of us asked for. But we must suffer through it. I can help ease your burden so let me ease your burden. And do not be mistaken. I would not be offering this help to anyone other than you."

His face was completely serious. If she paid attention to his eyes she would realize he was not hiding anything. Everything he had just said there at the end was the truth. After a moment he added, "Now are you going to continue being stubborn or will you let me just help you while I can?"

Silver Romani

Silver listened to him. The words his father had said to her still preying on her mind and her jaw clenched as he enquired about her stubbornness. "You have treated me as though I'm stupid from the second I met you, whether you can see that or not is your problem. In a single day you've attempted to change all that I am. I don't want to change it, and I won't change it for you because you say I have to.. No. I'll deal with it on my own rather than conforming to what you think is acceptable. I won't be condescended by you any more...And I certainly won't be manipulated or used for whatever fucking games you are planning." she frowned down at him..

"Get out of my way, Acteon." she growled irritably and tightened her grip on Raksha's reins.