Private Tales Traversing the Lost

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
The line moved steadily forward as she spoke. They were now halfway to the counter from where they had originally started. But it was hard to say if it would keep up the pace or not as the older man had put out a fresh batch when they arrived and it was already nearly gone. They may be stalled if they had to wait for more.

Tinus had nodded along as Dana spoke of herself. It was strange to think of this concept of gods that the outsiders worshiped. The Kel didn't believe in gods. Well not in the way the outsiders did. There was the Mother of Gryphons, but she didn't fit what made their gods gods. She was less of a creator and more of a destroyer and guide.

"What brought you into this life? Why not just be one of those scholars you outsiders have instead? Your work sounds the same. Books, research, and learning. What is the difference between you? We Kel always are trying to improve ourselves but none of us would define ourselves as a scholar. Is it similar to this?"

Dana Kass

Dana sighed when the line stopped again. Apparently, they were going to be waiting a little longer. Not that she minded too much, Tinus had been a good conversationalist so far. She stopped at his question, her expression hardening. “Because the knowledge we have is incomplete. Just think about all the things about our history, our world, that we still don’t know! By traveling, I can more than just study the books we already have. I can add to our knowledge, help future generations learn more about Arethil.”

She stopped and glanced at Tinus. “And what about you? I'm sure Kel have many different roles you could’ve filled. Why choose to be a warrior?”

Tinus Damos

What she had to say to him just deepened the mystery of the difference between her cleric duties and what a scholar did. Both sought out knowledge to improve things or just know more. While some scholars didn't share their knowledge with others most seemed happy to. Was the difference just in that aspect? Scholar didn't have to share their knowledge but these clerics did?

Then the question was turned around onto him. A question as to why he became what he was. Seemed obvious to him as a Kel why he had chosen the path, but outsiders didn't get Kel things often.

"I like fighting and it earns a lot of coin." Tinus said as he looked at her. "But I'm not just a warrior. No Kel is just a warrior. We all are something before we become a warrior and it is what we do when not doing mercenary work."

The person at the counter had ordered all the pies that were ready. A ripple of anger ran through the line as everyone found out. More than a few choice words in multiple languages were spat out at the one holding everything up.

Tinus frowned under his mask and yelled out a nasty word in Kellish at them. Then he turned his attention back to Dana. "I'm a cook and beekeeper back home. What I was doing before taking the rite of the warrior. Enjoy the work and can still be a cook while being a mercenary. What about you? What else do you do outside of your cleric duties?"

Dana Kass

Dana smiled wryly at his answer. “As good a reason as any, I suppose. Although it’s rare for someone to pick a potentially dangerous job, simply because they’re good at it. At least when they also have another job to fall back on.” She didn’t have a problem with it necessarily, but it was odd.

So, the Kel warriors all have other occupations? That’s surprising. Many tribes she’d studied tend to assign roles or expect one to devote themselves completely to their job. Even in developed nations, you were often expected to dedicate yourself wholly to whatever it is you choose to be.

She raised an eyebrow. “Really? Well, that explains your affinity for honey,” she said humorously. She paused when he asked her about her own life. “When not searching for knowledge. I’ll often perform the other half of my duties, preaching, healing, missionary work, and the like. When I’m not doing that either. Well, I’ll usually do something like this, honestly, I'll explore the lands I find myself in and enjoy the local culture.”

Tinus Damos

"The Kel aren't concerned with individual safety so much. More about how we can all take care of each other. Being our individual best and having as many skills to offer to our community is what we care about. Why we are always trying to learn new things and skills. Some Kel will specialize themselves in the trade cities into two roles, but they are mostly crafters. Those skills demand more devotion than others after all."

The description that Dana gave about her life sounded kind of lonely to him. Even after all of her duties were performed her life still revolved around that singular purpose of learning. It made him question why someone wouldn't try to seek out other things. Perhaps a question best asked now as the line was finally beginning to move once more.

"Is there nothing you do not related to your duties? No craft you do as a hobby? Are you allowed the comforts of romance or just some carnal release of sex?"

Dana Kass

Dana nodded. A common mindset among many tribes and smaller nations. Teaching a collectivist mindset helped convince everyone to contribute to the well-being of their people, which helped them survive. “So, mercenary work benefits the Kel as a whole then? Do you give them a portion of your payment?”

Her nose wrinkled. What kind of thing was that to ask a new acquaintance? A priestess no less! She crossed her arms and frowned. Trying not to be too offended, hoping it was just a cultural difference. “I’m allowed to marry, yes,” she answered, graciously ignoring the last part of his question. “But being allowed something and desiring it are two separate things. As for hobbies, I’ve taken to reading, and not just scholarly writings.”

Tinus Damos

"Some of it goes to my tribe. Some to my clan. Most is for my family. We don't focus on individual wealth much. Doesn't matter who has the coins so long as they are trustworthy and using it for everyone. Coin doesn't mean much amongst the Kel. As good as any other resource. Coin is more valuable to outsiders, so we save it for dealing with your kind. These trade cities are where it is used like you outsiders use it, but any Kel merchant or craftsman would as willingly barter for their goods as take coin."

The nose wrinkle and general attitude of being offended didn't go unnoticed. In face it got a laugh out of Tinus. She looked rather comical and her clear dodging of a certain part of his question was too obvious to not add to the humor of it all.

"So marriage but no sex? Must be frustrating for you." Tinus said to her in a cheerful, joking way.

Under his mask he was smiling. Teasing the Anirian woman a bit surely wouldn't be bad. Another chuckle left him causing the pause.

"What do you read that is not scholarly? Perhaps it has something to do with the desire you are not allowed despite being allowed to marry?"

The line had grown shorter in front of them. Nearly they were to the counter and the delicious treats contained there. Already the aroma of the stall had fully taken over the air around them. Sweet, sour, and fruit scents of all kinds dominated their noses. Almost. They were almost there.

Dana Kass

Dana was only a little surprised to hear they bartered instead of bought items with coin in Kel. “I see. So, you allow travelers into this city to accumulate more coins that you can use in other cities? Clever. Although I’m surprised you can find trustworthy people to hold it all. That’s a problem many societies tend to grapple with.”

She sighed when she insisted on continuing his line of inappropriate questions. “I don’t think much of it. I’m not a man,” she said dryly. “And no, I read fiction. The kind of story’s that are performed at theatres or opera houses.”

Tinus Damos

"Wish to bed someone isn't a man thing. It is something everyone does. It is natural and necessary. How else will babies be born? Perhaps the reason you don't think much about it is because you won't let yourself have that freedom. Wouldn't knowledge on the act be a benefit to us all? And wouldn't experience help shape and reinforce your understanding of that knowledge? Surely your order would view exploring those feelings and desires as natural both as a being and as a member of your order."

Tinus had shifted from the cheer to a more serious tone as he spoke. The Anirian wasn't finding the topic as funny as he did, although the funny part was in her reaction to it. But now he was genuinely curious about it. The Kel were a people who embraced life and death as natural things all would experience. The act of sex was not a shameful thing but rather more akin to a sacred act. Child or no child, it was a celebration of life and creation. What was so wrong with that?

They had finally come to the counter. The younger man looked flustered, clearly still new to the role. The older man continued putting pies into the oven that he had just finished preparing. A fresh batch of pies with custard, berries, peaches, and pears were cooling and ready to be bought.

Tinus' stomach growled despite how it hadn't been that long since they had eaten. His apatite was rather large. He spoke in Kel ordering one of the peach and pear pies each as well as some honey candy. They were moved onto the counter in front of him. The pies now in view would be less of what Dana would know of pies and more like tarts. They were sized for a single person to enjoy as well.

As the young man looked to Dana, Tinus was already fishing out the pay for his portion from his pouch. After she had ordered her own portion, he would get the rest of the payment in hand and the transaction complete. Then they would have to carry it away as quickly as possible or face the "hurry up!" glares of those behind them still in line.

Once away Tinus continued on from before. "So you like bard tales? What kinds? Many of kinds. Is that why you are drawn to the idea of this lost god?"

Dana Kass

Dana sighed. “The priests of my order don’t abstain from sex because we view it as shameful. We do it as a sacrifice and act of devotion. Arethil’s not suffering from a lack of population.”

She took a deep breath before stepping up to the counter. Doing her best to put her annoyance at the previous conversation behind her. She folded her hands and smiled politely at the young man behind the counter. Her gaze trailing over the assembled tarts.

She waited for a second after Tinus stopped talking. Not sure if the man behind the counter understood common. She cleared her throat. “I’ll have three of those, please.” She pointed at the nearest honey treat. She fished a few coins from her pouch and set them on the counter as payment.

She received her order and quickly stepped away to make room for the next group. “My favorite are the more fantastical stories. The kind of things that go beyond even the magic and legends found in Arethil. Often, they’re stories about legendary heroes overcoming impossible odds.”

She considered his last comment, about the Traveler. She eventually shrugged. “Maybe a little, it’s not my main motivation, but it is interesting.” She grabbed one of her candies. "Do the Kel also tell such stories?"

Tinus Damos

After her most recent response to his teasing, Tinus decided it was time to stop. She wasn't taking it in as much stride as he had thought she would. Something to keep in mind for the future. Best to let it go for now and get back to the more serious topic.

She mentioned her love for fantastical stories. The specific kind of those tales resonated with him. He was all too happy to discuss the topic.

"Those are the most common tales we tell in Kelon. Tales of the original ancestors to tribes and clans are common. Some of the great heroes of old. Even the best warriors and craftsmen and merchants."

Tinus pulled his mask up so he could start eating the first of his pies. A happy hum escaped him as he chewed. As she might have noticed, he enjoyed food more than likely anyone else she had met up to this point. If she looked around she would notice other Kel also had a real love of food over all. Even some angry words and near brawls were breaking out over food from time to time around them near the stall.

"What was your favorite story?" Tinus said after he swallowed before getting his next bite of food.

Dana Kass

Dana popped a candy into her mouth as he spoke. Briefly distracted by the sweet taste, she could see why he coveted these treats so. She wasn’t surprised when he mentioned that they spun stories about their ancestors. She had heard that Kel revered them greatly. “I see. And what’s your favorite of these stories of yours?”

She took notice when Tinus pulled up his mask, catching a glimpse of the bottom half of his face. But her attention was soon drawn by an angry exchange between a pair of Kel, a dispute that appeared to be over food. “I wonder if it was the theft or just the fact that someone tried to take his food that set Tinus off earlier,” she thought wryly.

She paused at his question and sighed. “Maybe it’s a bit childish, but my favorite story is a fairy tale my mother used to tell me when I was a girl. Malinda the Book Binder, it’s a series of stories about a young librarian in a magical library. One night, while she was asleep, an imp came and entered each story housed there, changing the ending for the worse. When Malinda woke, she chased the imp through each book, fixing each story as she went. Silly, I know.”

Tinus Damos

Tinus ate and listened to the priestess. The story she said was her favorite was rather interesting, especially considering her path in life. The tale of a girl who chased an imp through books to fix them. It was fitting for what she was doing with her life. More so than many outsiders he had heard talk about why they became what they did. Mostly it was about gold or because that was what they were told to do.

"My favorite tale is The Lonely Gryphon." Tinus said now being his turn. "One meant for children as well. It is about a gryphon resting high upon her lonely ledge. No other gryphons around to fight. No people around to eat. It was just her, the wind, and the mountain. When she was young she enjoyed being the only gryphon around. No one to steal her meals. No one to slash or bite at her over the best resting rock. She could fly as she wished with no one to disturb her."

He had gotten into the tale. Some that past by would stop for a moment to listen before going on. While their faces could not reveal their thoughts to Dana, she might be able to figure out from their body language that many of their memories were being touched upon as the man spoke. Nostalgia was an infectious thing and he was spreading it freely amongst them all.

"But her joy soured and spoiled as she grew older. There was no mate to pair with and share their lives together. No chicks for her to hack and raise and teach the best ways to fly and hunt and sleep. No challenges to overcome. No witnesses to her strength. Just to feel less alone she would scream and screech at the peaks just to hear her own echo respond back. Every day as soon as she awoke and before she laid to rest she would fill her lungs and empty them with her melancholy roar. Every day she would wait until her echo replied back. Such was how she lived, unfulfilled, for years."

The pies were gone. A fact that gave Tinus pause. Should he go get more? His faceless mask moved towards the line for the stall. Long and winding like a mountain path. A moment he stared praying it would vanish. It never did. Then he turned his attention back to Dana.

"One day the lonely gryphon made her call out to the mountain and winds. She waited and her echo came back.... And after followed an unknown voice from high, high above. This voice called back to her. For the first time in her life, there was another out there. Joy and fear swelled up and overflowed from her. What should she do? What could she do? She called out again and then again and again and again.... But that other voice never called back. Heartbroken, she waited on her rock. Every morning and every evening she would make her call then wait. No hunting. No drinking. No sleeping. Just waiting. Waiting for a call that would never come...."

Dana Kass

Dana listened carefully to Tinus’ tale. She wasn’t surprised by the morbidity of it, many cultures, including Vel Anir, had such stories. What did surprise her is that it was the favorite of someone like Tinus, with how upbeat he acted she’d have assumed his favorite story would be a little more lighthearted.

She didn’t miss the glances from the locals or the few that stopped to listen. She first assumed they were staring at her like either Kel had, but quickly realized their focus was on Tinus and not herself. “This must be a popular story among the Kel, or one they were all also told when they were young.”

She finished the last of her sweets while she listened to the tale. Waiting for Tinus to stop before she spoke up. “A fascinating tale. But also, quite the sad one. What about it resonates with you? Or is it more of a nostalgic story?”

No food left for him to eat and a question in the air, the masked man had little to do other than give his answer.

"Both. The tale is one told to us as children. It is meant to warn and guide the young away from selfishness and becoming content. Without others there is no joy. Without competition there is no improvement. Do not become the lonely gryphon least your life mean nothing."

A pair of Kel in armor had stopped while Tinus was speaking. They stared at him as he spoke and after he had stopped they continued to do so silently. Tinus turned and looked back at them. For a bit they just stared at each other.

Tinus broke the silence by speaking in Kellish. They responded back in turn. From the movement of their gestures and bodies she might figure out how it was getting a bit heated. The more dominate of the pair was clearly offended, although his companion seemed far less bothered.

After a bit the companion finally took on a more active role stepping in between the two. Some words were exchanged and then an agreement seemed to be made. The more aggressive one stepped back and then began stripping their armor off. As they did, Tinus had took a step back and started to do the same by stripping himself down to being bare chested. Both of these men were clearly fighters from the make of the muscles each would reveal.

The aggressive newcomer was larger than Tinus in both height and muscles. He clearly had the advantage in strength, but if she had any knowledge in anatomy she might notice that Tinus had an advantage of his own. His own muscles had a more balanced focused and far better built for endurance.

Dana Kass