Private Tales Traversing the Lost

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Tinus Damos

Character Biography
Link
Kelon, sacred homeland of the Kel, was a land of rugged beauty. Peaks penetrating the sky as countless streams and river formed blue veins into the Cortosi Coast. A Verdent dress wrapped around the voluptuous gray rising high above. A mother both kind and cruel to her children. The cries of gryphons always faintly heard off deep in the wilds. It was a reflection of the tough beauty of the people proud to call her home.

It was here in one of the eastern trade cities that Tinus found himself. Returning after work had taken him to the Allirian Straight. Tired from the travel yet excited at the return to familiar sights, sounds, and scents. That mixture of spices and herbs. The fragrance of a properly baked potato. Meat slowly roasting over spits. Cheeses, creams, and yogurts filling the air with their sweet aroma. Homes of clay brick and stone painted in every color imaginable causing one to believe they had been devoured within a rainbow. And amongst it all people dressed as liberally as their homes wearing faceless masks to mark themselves as locals.

Those of the bare faced new to the city gawked at the sensory overload. Eyes always lingering about on each mask and the colorful dress about it. Those who had been here before moved about freely and with purpose. Ignoring of masks and clothes was the only way to make it in time before they lost their chance for the best deals and best contracts.

Tinus, for his part, wasn't in his armor or he might have been targeted by one of those looking for a hired sword already. All in masks were free agents here and guaranteed to their word. Like a pond full of fish for a hungry man, there was need for baiting out the best when any would be more than enough to avoid death. He knew this and so had made sure to dress in his casual clothes. Dyed blue and red with lining of honey gold, he wore what seemed to please his bees back home the most. Here he just blended in with the crowd as weapons on belts were worn by all those in masks as he was. The only thing that made him stand out was the armor strapped to the pack he carried on his back.

The port was as active as ever reminding him of how a hive. His feet back on Kellish soil had instantly relaxed him. What should his first action be? A jingle of his coin purse. It was lighter than he hoped. His family and clan had gotten most of it sent back to them. Hopefully they used it to treat themselves to some delicious treats. He wasn't around to make them any himself. The kids especially would always demand his honey candies.

Honey candy sounded good. Finding some would be his first task and then proper food and drink for the first time in months.

A Kellish song on his lips already, Tinus meandered through the streets in his quest for sweet meats.

Dana Kass

• Yay
Reactions: Dana Kass
Dana stood at the end of the dock, slowly looking over the unfamiliar town. Such a curious place. A far cry from the dreariness of a post-war Vel Anir. The devastation of which being what drove her here. All her usual sellswords and mercenaries were either killed or otherwise preoccupied. Leaving her to search, unorthodox places.

Not that she minded, no, on the contrary, she relished the chance to visit such a unique place. After all, it’s the search for the unknown that’s driven her here. Though Kelon was not her goal exactly. Oh no, definitely not. She sought knowledge of a forgotten god, and someone in this place would help her find it.

She strode into town with confidence. Though her gaze continued to linger on Kelon’s unfamiliar features. Twice she stopped to examine the wares of various, traders, was it? The aroma of their various foods almost tempting her to stop and indulge in some local treats. But if she delayed for that she might miss out.

She wasn’t a fool. Others had mostly certain come to hire bodyguards for themselves. If she tarried, there might not be any left for her. Yet, she couldn’t see anything that resembled a mercenary hall of guild, like she’d find back home. Perhaps there was another system for hiring?

Her eyes stopped on an auburn-haired man walking the streets. He looked like a warrior, muscular, and hauling a set of armor around with him. A local perhaps? Surely, he would know how to hire a sellsword. She folded her hands in front of her as she approached, clearing her throat when she got close enough. “Good day. Might I have a moment of your time?”

Still in a good mood, the Kel soon found himself being addressed by an outsider. He stopped his singing and walking to turn towards the feminine voice. What his faceless mask was greeted by was an Anirian woman. She was politer than usual if she was. Most Anirians just expected you to do what they said or skipped any niceties to avoid wasting both your time.

This woman had taken the time to greet him and make her demand a question. He didn't need to be anywhere and she seemed nice enough so he made up his mind.

"Good day Anirian. What do you need? Seem lost. Did you get lost from your group?"

Despite the cold indifference of the metal mask before her eyes, the voice behind it was cheerful and energetic. Not an ounce of anything but pure sincerity was behind it. As he spoke a few other people in masked past them by. All armed but none carrying any kind of armor on their person. It was hard to tell if they paid the pair any mind as their masks were as apathetic as his own.

Dana Kass

Dana met the stranger’s gaze as best she could. It felt strange to speak to someone whose face was hidden behind a mask. Though she had experience speaking to helmet-clad men and women, these masks the Kelon’s wore were clearly of some greater importance to them. Religious, or maybe just cultural. Curious.

She hummed. “I am not, lost, no. Nor did I come with a group. I came because I heard your kin are reliable.” She broke eye contact so she could check her surroundings again. Still, nothing jumped out at her. “And I seek to hire one of you for a journey. But I haven’t anything that resembles a mercenary guild. Could you, perhaps, point me to one?”

Tinus Damos

What the woman had to say was a little surprising. She was not lost but here alone and looking to hire a mercenary. The mention of a guild told him everything he needed to know about her on top of it all. She was a foreigner who little to nothing of the Kel.

Looked like his belly was going to have to wait. This one needed some guiding.

"The Kel do not operate like you outsiders. We don't keep guilds. Mercenaries are hired individually, through their clan or tribe, or can be found in independent bands in the trade cities." Tinus said in that same tone as before just with an edge of concern this time around.

"What are your needs? I may be able to help find those to fill it."

Dana Kass

Dana carefully listened to the stranger’s answer. “I see.” No guilds? Of course, how foolish of her. Their civilization consisted of tribes, not a kingdom. They wouldn’t have institutions such as guilds. Clearly, she’s out of her element. But that doesn’t change what she needs to do, and if the stranger’s willing to help, she’ll accept it.

Her hand drifted to her satchel. “Yes, thank you. That would be most helpful. I’m on a journey into the Aberresai Savanah, seeking lost knowledge. I require a bodyguard, preferably one with knowledge of the area. Or skill at dealing with the wildlife there.”

Tinus Damos

The Savannah in search of lost knowledge? That would be a rough job for a single bodyguard. It was an arid grassland after all with little access to easy water. One of the people from Acra would be best, but finding any working individually in this trade city would be difficult. Leveta was a rather different sort of environment after all and most Kel from the tribes of other regions would be working in bands.

But it wasn't an impossible task just a difficult one.

Tinus refocused his attention onto the Anirian woman. "Offer me some form of payment and my help will be official. I will help you find someone and if not then I will take the job myself. We can discuss payment for bodyguard work if it comes to it."

Tinus offered out a hand to the woman. "Deal?"

Dana Kass

Dana stared at his outstretched hand with a wry smile on her face. Offering help than asking for a reward, how shrewd these people are. Ah, but it wouldn’t do to turn the stranger away now. Whether he could find someone or not, she’d have a capable bodyguard by the end of the day.

She reached into her satchel and drew out a pair of silver coins. “Very well.” She placed the coins in his hand. “I’ll give you a full payment once you’ve taken my job. Assuming you don’t find another capable bodyguard. That is.”

Tinus Damos

The woman seemed unfamiliar with the customs of the Kel. The offer of help and taking of a payment (which he had not set any kind of price for and would have accepted anything as pay) was a way of forming a contract that showed it would be followed through on. But it also could prove to be a shrewd tactic as well just with a more guaranteed outcome.

When the woman put the coins in his hand, he was thrown off a bit. He had expected her to shake and the contract to be formed after all not to be a demand for coin. So after the coins were in hand, he moved to take her hand and place it into his own. Hopefully she realized he wasn't trying strange and let him, but that was yet to be seen.

No matter if she allowed the shake to happen or not, Tinus went ahead and responded, "Tinus Damos. And you?"

The earlier casualness of his attitude had shifted as he spoke. It took on more of the serious air that one would expect from a professional sellsword or agent.

Dana Kass

Dana raised an eyebrow when the stranger took her hand but didn’t pull away. Realizing the misunderstanding. Clearly, a handshake is considered something more sacred than a polite gesture in Kelon. Or he’d have not insisted on it.

Tinus Damos, was it? She met his gaze and nodded. “Dana Kass, a pleasure.” She drew back her hand after the handshake was finished. She noticed the shift in his voice and cocked her head. “I confess, I’ve not had the chance to study your culture. And therefore, know little of it. But perhaps you can enlighten me, should you be the one to accompany me.”

The shake was accepted and with his payment already in hand the contract was binding. Tinus would do his best to help this outsider find someone to work as her guard. Even more so after she mentioned not knowing anything about his people. The coins were put into his pouch.

"You need to know the laws here. Outsiders are forbidden from two things: wearing mask and leaving the city. You can be executed for both. Your rights are the same as the Kel while you are here. No one is to cheat you or break their word. If either occurs then report it to the ruling tribe. Their hold is-" Tinus turned to point to what looked almost like a castle or fort rising up from the center of the port like a tower. "-there. Be honest and you will get what you need. Lie and you might be expelled from the city. Haggling is acceptable and encouraged."

Then motioned for her to follow him before beginning to continue about his original business. Two birds with one stone. He had been to this city a couple times before as it was the best place to go to set out east of Kelon from. He had an idea of where to go.

"Come. Best place to find a sellsword is where they sell hot meals and strong drinks."

Dana Kass

Dana listened closely to the rules. She’d been warned against leaving the city by the boat captain, but she wasn’t aware of the rest. An interesting culture they had. It’s uncommon for such tribes to be so hostile of trespassers, and yet willing to treat them equally within a certain place. Clearly, their lands held some special significance to them.

She followed Tinus’ gaze over to the castle-like structure. “I see. So, breaking one's word is a crime in Kelon?” My, how she envied them in that. She smirked at his last comment. Exactly how she’d describe most guilds she’d seen. “Oh? Then perhaps our cultures are not as different as I thought.”

Tinus Damos

A chuckle escaped from behind the mask at Dana's last comment. Tinus was keeping an eye on the places they past making sure he was remembering where they were headed was right. As he did this he spoke while motioning about with his hand, "Yes. All sellswords do. But we Kel have perfected it. No one enjoys good food and drink more than we do. Take a look around and see for yourself."

What she would find was some kind of food or food related item everywhere she looked. Be it stalls selling quick meals eat off a stick or carried by hand, honey roasted nuts of all kinds, candies made from potato starch and honey, and spices being used as often as coin as people bartered. The mixed aroma of scents could only be match by a spice shop or in the kitchens of the wealthy in other lands.

"There is a Kellish saying, 'Feed someone and they will feed you.' It isn't meant to be literal, but we do seem to make it that way here." Tinus said in a cheerful tone.

His steps never slowed as he spoke. Everything was familiar and a particular scent had joined the rest. It was the one he was looking for. The place he was taking her cooked dishes in the Acra fashion and so was more likely to have tribesman from there. It also was a chance for him to try more kinds of food in that style. The familiar yet exotic tastes were exciting and a welcome break when he had eaten his region's cooking for some time.

"You said you need a guide familiar with the Savannah and can deal with animals. What else are you looking for? Doubt you will find someone familiar enough to avoid hiring a guide. We Kel often deal with animals so any would do for that. Other requirements would help find a suitable individual."

Dana Kass

Dana eyed the assorted treats and foods that were put on display. The honey-roasted nuts being what tempted her the most. It all looked quite delicious. Under different circumstances, she might have indulged. She stifled a laugh at Tinus’ second comment. “I see the merit of that saying. There’s a similar one in Vel Anir, but it’s phrased more as a warning; ‘Don’t bite the hand that feeds you.’”

She pursed her lips as she considered what she needed from her guide. Given the nature of her quest. “I expect to encounter nomadic tribes, ones who don’t belong to Kelon. Someone capable of diplomacy with them would be appreciated.”

Tinus Damos

"Control through fear isn't effective or efficient. Trust and respect works better. Supporting one another instead of dragging each other down is the same. We Kel have been watching you Anirians and the Cortosi bicker and fight amongst yourselves for a long time. Never understood why you kept fighting and killing your own." Tinus responded in a way that lacked any kind of resentment or negativity. He sounded like he was discussing a new way to fish or how to sew a blanket for how matter of fact it was. "Has been profitable though. Never a shortage of demand for our services."

What more she wanted in her sellsword was a bit much to ask from those who had picked the path of a warrior. The merchants would have been better as they had to negotiate constantly, but the mercenaries tends to have work come to them and the attitudes of those they met on the job already predetermined. Made life easier when you didn't have to guess but it also meant they tended to lack in diplomatic skills as a whole.

"I will try, but hold no hope. Diplomacy is rare in our line of work. A local guide would be better to handle that as well as navigating. Better to let your bodyguard focus on guarding your body. Especially if there might be hostile nomads involved."

They had reached the establishment now and the smell in the air with it. The scent of cooking potatoes and meats was a constant, but the smell of dairy here had changed. Before cream and butter was the underlying smell of dairy used in the dishes. Now it was the smell of yogurt and hard cheeses. A more sour smell than one of sweetness. Along with it was also an increase in scent of citrus spices being cooked with. The earthy and sweet scents of the Leveta style was fully replaced with the citrus and sour of the Acra style.

He went to the door and held it open for her to enter through first. When she went in what she would find was a shift in clothing style from before with those in the masks. While still colorful these people now were in scaly leather clothing with feathers often attached rather than the wool and fur heavy wear of those around the port.

The next thing she would notice was how even while eating no one removed their masks. Instead it was just lifted enough for spoon, fork, or skewer to reach the mouth and then allowed to drop back down. No more than mouth and chin was ever revealed by them and the action was done with a habitual ease.

Tinus would yell something towards a masked woman working the tables in Kellish. She would yell back at him and then point at a table as some heads moved to look at the pair with a specific focus on Dana. A reply was made from him along with a friendly wave. The whole affair might be mistaken for a play the way every word and action seemed to flow so poetically into each other.

He looked to Dana now. "Quickly to our table. We will have guests after we order."

Dana Kass

“Fear can ensure temporary obedience, but often at the cost of breeding long-term contempt.” Dana closed her eyes for a second and shrugged. Enjoying being able to talk about such a thing away from the volatile politics of Vel Anir. “But the same could be said for excessive trust. It can work for tight-knit communities, yes, but in a kingdom of many thousands, there’d doubtless be those who take advantage of such trust. Truthfully, I find it better for a kingdom to strike a balance between the two.”

She listened to his reasoning on why there likely wouldn’t be a bodyguard who’s good at diplomacy. She hummed. “Perhaps I should rephrase than, I don’t need a sellsword to negotiate with other tribes. I simply need one who knows how not to offend them. I haven’t had many dealings with nomadic cultures. Therefore I’d appreciate a hireling who could warn me against offensive behaviors, especially ones that might alienate other tribes.”

She stopped outside the establishment and furrowed her eyebrows at the scent in the air. Now different from earlier. Was this a completely different style of cooking than before? She shook her head and stepped inside when Tinus held the door open for her, nodding in appreciation as she did.

It didn’t take long for her to notice the difference in fashion. “I see now. This establishment must belong to a different clan. It would explain the different food and clothes.” She glanced briefly at the other customers looking their, or rather her way. But didn’t pay them any heed. It wasn’t her first time being a stranger in a foreign place.

She walked over to the table at Tinus’ direction. “Why so? Did you explain our reason for being here to the..." She glanced at the masked woman, not knowing what her job title was. "... waitress?”

Tinus Damos

As the pair got themselves sat down at the table, Tinus decided to continue the conversation from before.

"Again a guide would be best. They can teach you those things. Sounds like what you need is a patient guard who isn't looking for a fight.... Last bit might be a little hard to find. Kel warriors enjoy a good fight and some get bored easily doing guard work."

Shortly after he had finished speaking the masked woman from before walked over to them and placed cups of water and a little bowl with limes and lemons in it before them. Tinus spoke to her in their native tongue once more. She answered back to him then looked to Dana.

The waitress said, "Meals today are roast mutton over mashed potato with a lemon yogurt sauce and a lizard kebab seasoned with lime and oleander with a yogurt dipping sauce."

Tinus said to Dana, "Try the kebab. What I'm getting."

Dana Kass

Dana smiled wryly. “Oh, I’m not so optimistic that I think I’ll make it there and back without confrontation. More than nomads roam the savannah after all, and members of certain tribes may not so civilized. It won’t be a boring job. But yes, a bodyguard who won’t start unnecessary fights would be preferable.”

She glanced at the masked woman when she approached. Thanking her for the water and appetizers. Although she didn’t know that she could understand her yet. She looked at Tinus when he made his suggestion. Well, this would certainly be an experience. “I’ll, have the lizard kebab. Please.”

Tinus Damos

The masked woman bowed her head slightly before leaving. Tinus repeated the same to her along with what was clearly a thanks in Kellish. After that he picked up one of the lemons from the bowl and pulled out his knife. He sliced it several times and then squeezed its juices into his cup of water.

He lifted up his mask in that same fashion as the other customers had done to take his drink.

Before his mask was even resettled into place, several individuals had come over and sat with them. All of them were in masks and had a weapon on them. Some wore armor and some just clothing. All had that general presence common in fighters about them.

A greeting in Kellish was offered to Tinus and he mimicked it back. Then the group exchanged looks, or appeared to despite the masks, and one of their members spoke up. "What services are you seeking? What job are you hiring for?"

Tinus looked to Dana and said in a lower voice, although everyone knew it would be impossible for the newcomers to not hear him as well, "Repeat our exchange then tell them what you need."

Then Tinus leaned back and went to take another drink of his cup. His movements in doing so as easy and smooth as the rest in masks.

Dana Kass

Dana watched when Tinus raised his mask but quickly realized he wasn’t going to remove it. She didn’t mind it exactly, but it did make it harder for her to get a read on them. She leaned back slightly when several others all approached. Though she quickly recovered and smiled in greeting.

She kept her gaze fixed ahead when Tinus addressed her. Repeat the exchange? Did her mean the Kellish greeting he just performed? She smiled and mimicked the greeting she’d heard a moment before in the friendliest tone she could manage. “Good day. I’m in need of a sellsword to see me safely through the Aberresai Savannah. One who won’t pick a fight when unnecessary. My quest will likely take me to the center of the savannah and back.”

Tinus Damos

The gathered group seemed to ease up and relax a bit after she repeated the greeting to them. After she spoke, the group began to discuss amongst themselves quietly in Kellish. Tinus seemed to be paying attention to them, but already knew what was likely to follow next.

The one who spoke before turned his attention back to Dana. "How many are you hiring?"

Tinus spoke up before she could, "One. Don't push her for more."

The man turned his attention to Tinus and the two just silently had a faceless mask to faceless mask stare down. The waitress returned with their meals during this time and set their plates down in front of them. As she was walking away she heard the sound of a plate being drug across the table as the man Tinus had spoken to was pulling it towards him and away from Tinus.

The waitress stopped and looked back at the sound. Those near the table did the same. Soon the whole room was watching the exchange.

Tinus said in a voice utterly calm and lacking the cheer and energy that Dana had been hearing from him before, "Return it."

The man ignored him and picked up one of the kebabs. Even before it made it to his mouth a dagger was impaled through the man's hand. As he yelled out, dropping the kebab, his companions were reaching for their weapons. But before they could act the waitress yelled out something in Kellish at them. Those gathered in the place all had their hands on their weapons.

Tinus removed the dagger from the man's hand and then slide the plate back over. He picked up his kebab and set it on his plate. More things were said by the waitress as she pointed to the door. The group was hesitant at first, but then got themselves up and fled outside. Things remained tense for a moment but then settled back down to how it was before.

Tinus wipped off the blood then put it away. The kebab was picked up. He said before taking his first bite, "We are done looking. I'll take the job."

Dana Kass

Dana had opened her mouth to reply when Tinus beat her to it. She glanced at him and raised an eyebrow. But she didn’t say anything. He hadn’t let her astray so far, she shouldn’t distrust him now. There seemed to be more to their exchange that she could see.

She smiled and nodded her thanks to the waitress when she delivered their food. She briefly looked away from the newcomers to pick up her kebab when she heard the other plate sliding across the table. She glanced up again and frowned. A frown that only deepened when Tinus demanded it be returned.

She gasped when Tinus reacted by, of all things, stabbing the man in the hand. She sprang to her feet and glanced back and forth between the two parties. “What!?” Her gaze settled on the other party as they reached for their weapons. She inched her own hand closer to her hip, where her staff hung from her belt.

Fortunately, the waitress stepped in to prevent a fight. She exhaled in relief as she moved her hand away from her staff. She turned and narrowed her eyes. “Tinus, could you please explain to me, just what happened! What did he do!? And why did it prompt you to respond like that?”

Tinus Damos

Tinus continued eating as Dana reacted to the whole situation. He was back to his casual cheer again as he said in response to her, "He stole. Kel do not steal. A blade through your hand is better than death or exile. Especially over food."

And as if that explained everything, Tinus went back to eating his food. He motioned for her to start eating as well. Others around the room were looking at her rather than him that were within earshot. She might notice that they seemed to have the same line of thinking as Tinus did on the matter.

After a bit the waitress returned and placed a glass of wine in front of Dana. Without a word she did that then left. Tinus said something to her in Kellish to which she nodded back to him.

If Dana chose to eat her meal she would find that the lizard meat had a taste similar to game birds like peasants and quail. It retained its juices better however with a mouth texture more similar to eating lamb or venison. Along with the meat was small roasted potatoes that were yellow, red, and purple in color. Sliced peppers and squash was also part of the mix. It had a healthy balance about it uncommon outside of expensive shops in other parts of the world. The yogurt dipping sauce would have an earthy and sour taste to it as it was mixed with a blend of spices giving it a mild kick.

Tinus seemed to be enjoying his meal as he had begun to hum as he ate his food.

Dana Kass

Dana gawked at Tinus. How could he possibly think that answer was sufficient!? She checked the rest of the bar but found that everyone had either gone back to eating or were staring at her like she was the odd one. Well, maybe to them she was, but in most cultures, it’s rare for stealing a kebab to be a matter of life and death.

She awkwardly sat back down and refocused on her meal. Trying to put the matter out of mind, at least as best she could. She picked up her own lizard kebab and examined it. “This better be good enough to kill over,” she thought sarcastically, before taking a bite.

Well, maybe not worth killing over, but it’s a delicious meal nonetheless. She noticed the yogurt dipping sauce and happily gave it a taste as well. She almost got too distracted by eating for a second, but quickly remembered her current situation. She lowered her kebab and finished chewing before speaking. “If you’re going to accompany me. You should at least know what it is I’m looking for.”

She reached into her satchel with her free hand and drew out a scroll. She set it on the table, away from their plates, and rolled it out. “I’m a scholar, and a priestess, first and foremost. But that’s beside the point for now. I’m journeying the savannah because I’ve recently discovered evidence of what I believe to be a forgotten god, one who was once worshipped by certain tribes in this region.”

The scroll depicted a copy of an ancient piece of artwork, one that displayed the religious practices of a bygone age. Drawings of symbols, rituals, and temples, familiar to the learned, such as Dana, decorated the page. Familiar, that is, except for one. The symbol of a three-eyed wolf’s head, drawn above the image of what appeared to be a temple resting on the shoulders of four giants.

Dana realized Tinus probably didn’t know anything about the Annunaki Pantheon. So, she smiled and tapped that point of the scroll with her index finger. “I’m aware your people don’t follow the same gods as us, and truthfully, I follow a different religious pantheon myself. But, this symbol, and this image, don’t match any known deity. Meaning I may be on the verge of discovering a lost religion.”

Tinus Damos

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Tinus Damos
His eating companion took her first bite of the food and had that face that told Tinus just how much she enjoyed it. A little sense of joy bubbled up knowing his recommendation in a meal had brought about a little bit of happiness to her. It was always how he felt when a new dish was enjoyed by others. The only way to make it better for him was if he was the one to cook it.

But her thoughts seemed to regroup and she began to get back on topic for the job. The first thing she did was pull out a scroll and then begin to discuss her work with him. He held little personal investment in it, but she was his client until she found what she was after or gave up. So he made sure to pay attention even if he didn't understand what was being discussed.

Nothing particularly stuck out to him until she pointed to the wolf head with three eyes. Given they were headed to the Savannah and having a general idea of the place, he had a bit to say finally.

Tinus pointed to the symbol on her scroll and said, "That is a wolf's head. There are no wolves in the savannah that I know of." Then he went back to finishing off his meal. She might catch his point but if she didn't then he was willing to explain after he was done.

Dana Kass