Completed Trade and Treason

Sung Na

Eastern Warlord
Character Biography
Link
Sung Na had been in Elbion for four months now. He had spoken with many, arranged for the exchange of knowledge between the collage of Elbion and a few of his homelands monasteries and even had a few trade agreements signed between him and a few local nobles. But he knew that trade needed to grow, and he intended to make it grow very, very fast. So he needed more trade agreements, so he needed to see more noble families and get trade with them. One of the families he had yet to approach was the Von Stehlen family. He had met one of them soon after making landfall, Llyn Von Stehlen he recalled, but she and he never engaged in diplomacy, she had said that she wasn't the right one for such talks.

So he and his four bodyguards, a formality really, approached the dwelling of the Von Stehlen family in the city, with them were two chests, each carried by two guards.

1607806438737.png

He walked ahead, and knocked on the door.

• Yay
Reactions: Gracia von Stehlen
Gracia dwelled in her favorite armchair by the fire, fiddling with a roll of parchment stamped with the sigil of House Banick from Vel Anir. House Banick had been pestering her for quite some time now and one might say they'd formed an alliance of sorts. Gracia wasn't sure she'd call it such. The houses of Vel Anir were never the most trustworthy, especially those of the alliance. Nontheless, it was her job to ensure business went over smoothly between the von Stehlen's and its 'allied' houses.

After Elbion's fall and re-rise not long ago, Gracia's family sent her to the city to establish a new home for them to travel to. Now, with one more house to watch after, the von Stehlen's needed a trusted body to stay in Elbion at all times. Staying in Strojland for so long had become quite boring, so Gracia decided staying in Elbion as a permanent resident could be a nice change of pace. Besides, the easy access to magic, both good and bad, was more than she could hope for.

The sun had only risen barely an hour ago and Gracia hoped to get through one of her letters before preparing breakfast, but a knock on the door disturbed her plans. She turned in her seat to face the door. She couldn't remember having any plans to meet someone, at least not so early in the morning. Curious, but wary, she set her papers on the stout wooden table next to her armchair before getting up. She slipped her bare feet into a pair of emerald green slippers and grabbed her silk shawl from the back of her chair, sure to cover her shoulders before addressing whoever appeared at her door.

As she approached the front of the house, Gracia lit a match and held it over the candles by the doorframe, providing some extra light in her dim abode. Then, she opened the door.

She was met with the company of a heavily armored man and his four particularly intimidating bodyguards. Whatever could this man want with her that included the need for protection? The chests answered her question. Gracia was well acquainted with business propositions.

"I'm sorry," she began, laying a hand on the doorframe, "I don't believe we've met before."

• Cheer
Reactions: Sung Na
"I'm sorry," she began, laying a hand on the doorframe, "I don't believe we've met before."

"No we have not." He said in well practiced but clearly accented Common. "I apologize for the early and unannounced arrival. I have come to Elbion to establish trade with a few of the noble houses, and I was pointed to you. May I come in?"

If allowed inside he and his guards would leave their weapons by the door. Sung Na was clad in extremely well constructed and maintained armour of black steel. The quisses (thigh guards) and waist protection as well as his pauldrons were all mountain-pattern, a form of lamellar armour, or perhaps brigandine. Everything else was plate.

He left the large saber by the door, when permitted entry, and would politely state his business.

"I come from the east, across the ocean. And I have come here in the hopes of establishing trade." He gestured for his soldiers, now weaponless, to bring the chests forward. "In these are samples of what we have to offer, and a gift to you as a show of good faith."

Inside were a number of oddities. A few samples of rice were there, a few rolls of silk, far more abundant in his homeland. And a few dresses in the eastern style of that same silk. Alongside those were objects expertly carved from jade, both green and white and a few pieces of the extremely rare blue jade. There were also a few Scrolls, translated, as manuals for both armed and unarmed combat and even magic. They weren't too in depth, and there was only two of each but he liked to cover all bases.

"I hope that these materials are worth your while."

At the mention of trade, Gracia beckoned the men inside, watching as the guards rid themselves of their weapons. It was clear this foreign man was not intending to use force to get his way. Gracia could respect that.

The bodyguards opened the chests they brought with them, revealing piles of goods, some ordinary, some fascinating. In particular, Gracia's eye was drawn to the fine silk dresses and expertly crafted jade pieces. She'd always had an eye for expensive materials. Letting her fingers run over the scrolls of magic words, Gracia reminded herself that she needed to keep her focus. While these items were tempting, she was unsure of the meaning for such a trade.

She straightened up and put on a warming smile, "Please, gentlemen, allow me to make you some breakfast. How does bacon sound?"

Gracia led the men to her living room and invited them to sit while she cooked. There wasn't much means of entertainment, but she offered them a look at any of the countless books lining her bookshelves if such things interested them. Most of them were about magic, many about dark magic.

Sauntering off to the kitchen, Gracia retrieved five bottles of ale and gave them to the men while they waited. When she returned to the kitchen, she started a fire under the stove and pulled out a stack of bacon from the pantry. While she waited for that to simmer, she cut a loaf of bread into thin slices and placed them on a tray beside a spread of simple cheeses. When the bacon finished cooking, she gently lay the slices on a large wooden plate. After putting out the fire, she brought the meal out to her guests.

Taking a seat in her armchair and picking out an adequate slice of bread, Gracia prepared to talk business,

"Thank you for coming out all this way," she started, "I can't imagine the trip you must've taken."

Gracia took a bite of her bread.

"I don't believe I know your name, sir," she said, "but, nonetheless, I must admit I'm curious. What sort of items do you want from me in return?"

Finishing off her bread, Gracia stood from her seat and paced in a circle around her guests. She took them in. It was clear to her they weren't hostile, yet they still insisted on wearing such heavy armor. Peculiar, though it might be a cultural difference. The man in charge seemed young, perhaps younger than her. She couldn't assume that he was inexperienced as Gracia herself was quite young and often found herself doing similar business.

"Is it actually goods you want from me, or is there something more? An alliance between houses? I'm no stranger to that. Perhaps you're looking for some sort of permanent trade? The von Stehlen's are known for their military expertise and weapon supply. Or is there something you want that only I can provide?"

By the end of her pacing, Gracia found herself situated where she started.

She straightened up and put on a warming smile, "Please, gentlemen, allow me to make you some breakfast. How does bacon sound?"

Sung Na gave a bow at the waist and said, "your hospitality is most kind madam."

Gracia led the men to her living room and invited them to sit while she cooked. There wasn't much means of entertainment, but she offered them a look at any of the countless books lining her bookshelves if such things interested them. Most of them were about magic, many about dark magic.

The soldiers and he remained standing, they appreciated the offer, and he said as much, but sitting in armour wasn't the most comfortable and the extra weight wasn't kind on the furniture. Sung Na did glance over the books though, magic interested him but he had no gift for it so he was restrained to only reading and witnessing it.

"Thank you for coming out all this way," she started, "I can't imagine the trip you must've taken."

He smiled and said, "it was no issue at all miss. And the trip wasn't unpleasant, though your concern is most appreciated."

"I don't believe I know your name, sir," she said, "but, nonetheless, I must admit I'm curious. What sort of items

He listened, "ah, where are my manners. I am Sung Na, warlord of the province of Xian Kin. A privilege to meet you madam. Might I also inquire your name?"

"Is it actually goods you want from me, or is there something more? An alliance between houses? I'm no stranger to that. Perhaps you're looking for some sort of permanent trade? The von Stehlen's are known for their military expertise and weapon supply. Or is there something you want that only I can provide?"

By the end of her pacing, Gracia found herself situated where she started.

"An alliance between houses is mostly what I'm looking for, though not quite what you might think." He said. "And you needn't worry about giving me anything in return for the chests and their contents, they are gifts. I ask only that you here my proposal."

He explained, "you see, my people, er... multiply. And before the end of the century, I fear that we will not be able to support all of them in the homeland, and conquests are rather bloody affairs. So I seek ways that my people can peaceably and safely come to the west to settle, and regional alliances is the way I seek to do it. If your family agrees to help us move our people to the west safely, then regular shipments of these resources will also be sent as payment. Perhaps more can grow but this is meant to be the cornerstone. Would your family be willing to consider this?"

• Yay
Gracia pondered the proposal. They only wished to settle. Of course this was no simple task and Gracia hadn't dealt with anything of the kind. But the challenge, that's what interested her. Finding places for Sung Na and his people to settle could mean more business for her with the people and houses they dealt with for their affairs.

"Well, Sung Na, your offer is most enticing," Gracia said, "My name is Gracia von Stehlen, advisor to Karl von Stehlen, and I accept your partnership."

Gracia held out her hand as an offering of officiality. Should the man shake it, she would move onto further questioning.

"I must say, though, I'm rather inexperienced with the idea of helping a people find settlement. Are you looking to move your people into already existing towns and cities or are you hoping to build from the ground up? Either way, a lot of land is already owned by the great houses and governments of big cities and you have their politics to consider if you want to move in," she explained, "I'm willing to help negotiate with established peoples if that is of any concern."

Gracia scooped up the now empty trays of food and began to run a list of unowned land and friendly areas. Elbion's government was currently in shambles so diplomacy with the Families of the Eleven would be a waste of time. They had their hands full with more pressing matters. That meant any land outside of Elbion would be a reckless addition. There was no certainty how Elbion would continue their government and what that would mean for its surrounding towns.

Alliria had a similar system to Elbion, pre-fall, where the merchants led society. That would make for good trade and access to materials should Sung Na's people need them. The city was a melting pot as well and generally accepting of foreigners. However, the Merchant Council was difficult to gain an audience with, though not completely impossible. Being a people of trade meant it wasn't out of the question to find assistance from them.

The only other city they could try their hand with would be Vel Anir, though they were increasingly challenging to deal with. They were a military powerhouse and generally kept their lands safe. Unfortunately, the political climate was a mystery, always changing and morphing and still kept secret. While the seven houses were all in power at the moment, there was no guarantee they would all keep their positions. Gracia was in contact with the four allied families, so communicating with them wouldn't be difficult, but keeping peace with them was never a sure thing.

"I would say your best option is to strike up some sort of deal with the Merchant Council in Alliria or brave a pact with one of the allied houses of Vel Anir. You could even go about both, if you wish. Of course, if you have something else in mind, I can work with that," Gracia said.

• Love
"Well, Sung Na, your offer is most enticing," Gracia said, "My name is Gracia von Stehlen, advisor to Karl von Stehlen, and I accept your partnership."

He took her hand and shook it to seal the agreement. “I’m delighted to hear it. Your assistance and your generosity will not be forgotten, I assure you. And I am most pleased to meet you Miss Gracia.”

"I must say, though, I'm rather inexperienced with the idea of helping a people find settlement. Are you looking to move your people into already existing towns and cities or are you hoping to build from the ground up? Either way, a lot of land is already owned by the great houses and governments of big cities and you have their politics to consider if you want to move in," she explained, "I'm willing to help negotiate with established peoples if that is of any concern."

“A bit of both truth be told. I imagine that it will start by having some of my people move into existing cities and towns to get them immediate residence and build a town of our own later down the line. Negotiating with established peoples would definitely prove beneficial and much as I hate to admit ignorance, I’m not too well versed in the customs of the west. Your assistance will prove invaluable.”

"I would say your best option is to strike up some sort of deal with the Merchant Council in Alliria or brave a pact with one of the allied houses of Vel Anir. You could even go about both, if you wish. Of course, if you have something else in mind, I can work with that," Gracia said.

“Both sounds like it has the biggest chance of success, and if both succeed then we will have more room to work. Other than that, are there any settlements that have been abandoned or overrun by rebels or brigands. If I could offer to rid a region of bandits or rebels in exchange for some small portion of land or a town, that could also be done. Unless there are some complications that I am not forseeing. Do you think this to be a viable option?”

• Yay
Gracia thought for a second, scavenging her mind for any remnant information of an abandoned town ripe for taking. Luckily, she was reminded of the old town of Bromwich which lie close to Alliria. The only way she remembered such a rotten town was through one of her recent conversations with a man in Alliria's Merchant Council. She stumbled upon him at a tavern in the Inner City during her last visit. He'd mentioned the town being overrun by bandits and half-drunkenly mourned the lost fortune it could be bringing to Alliria. As she'd also drank that night, it was miracle she could recall the man or the conversation at all.

"As a matter of fact," Gracia told Sung Na, "there is one town on the outskirts of Alliria. I don't know much about it, only that it was once part of Alliria's settlements and is now housing bandits."

Gracia thought hard to remember the Merchant Council man. His name was Aldrich Stone and he was among the younger of the council, bright mind constantly running and thinking only of the betterment of Alliria. Or, in short, he only thought of ways to make Alliria richer. If she wasn't mistaken, she could recall the area in which he lived, deep in the Inner City. Though, the night with him was a long one and her drunken state made it hard to remember what his specific house looked like. In her experience of dealing with the rich, their mansions were hard to tell apart.

"I happen to know a man on the Merchant Council who I'm sure would be more than willing to strike a deal with you," Gracia explained.

Unfortunately, she didn't have access to a carriage at the moment, but there was a stable a short ways outside Elbion where she could rent a horse. The ride would last approximately a month if they hurried, which she was sure they would. These men didn't seem like the kind of people to ponder over every sight they crossed during travel.

"When should we take leave for Alliria?" Gracia asked.

Last edited:
  • Sip
"As a matter of fact," Gracia told Sung Na, "there is one town on the outskirts of Alliria. I don't know much about it, only that it was once part of Alliria's settlements and is now housing bandits."

This caught his attention. A town he might take with his most honed skill without creating a titanic war. "That sounds like a valuable piece of information. Definitely something to look into."

"I happen to know a man on the Merchant Council who I'm sure would be more than willing to strike a deal with you," Gracia explained.

"Then I should go and speak with this man. Who is he? Where can I find him, and what should I expect to see or hear from him during our meeting?" He inquired, prior knowledge was practically indispensable.

"When should we take leave for Alliria?" Gracia asked.

He shouldn't have been surprised that she intended to come along, they were still negotiating the details and working out the kinks in their agreement. So he said, "Whenever is convenient for you. I will have a horse ready for you when you are prepared to leave."

• Thoughtful
Gracia nodded. Their plan was settled. Take a hike to Alliria, convince a nobleman to let them clear a town of bandits, and take the town for themselves. She couldn't help but be excited at the idea of a trip. Elbion was interesting, but sitting in one place for too long had started to take its toll on Gracia's mental fortitude.

"I believe it'll be best to leave tomorrow at the break of dawn. I can prepare some rooms for you to stay in tonight," Gracia offered, "Please, get comfortable while I put these dishes away and I can tell you all I know."

She waltzed to the kitchen and picked up the rag she'd been using for her dishes. Quickly scrubbed the platter and plate down, Gracia filed them away in their respective places before returning to the living room with a fresh platter of nuts, fruits, and cider. She set the tray on the table and returned to her seat.

"Aldrich Stone is the councilman I'm acquainted with," Gracia began, "He lives in the Inner City of Alliria, somewhere close to the council chamber. Forgive me, but I cannot remember his specific location. I conversed with him briefly about Bromwich, the town in question. He was remorseful about the loss of the town as it was once a hub for traders and travelers who didn't traverse by sea. Aldrich is the kind of man who's obsessed with riches, so I have no doubt he will allow you to defeat the bandits for him."

Gracia twiddled her fingers along the wood of her armrest, letting her fingers dance along a glass of cider. She brought it to her lips and relished in its freshness. Setting the glass on the table beside her chair, she found that it brushed upon the papers from House Banick. She'd have to finish writing her letter tonight if she wished to keep good word with the family. They expected speedy replies.

"However, seeing as Aldrich is a man of money, I expect that he'll have trouble parting with the town entirely. I can't be sure what he'll want from you, but I will do what I can to ensure that his demands are reasonable," she finished.

• Sip
"I believe it'll be best to leave tomorrow at the break of dawn. I can prepare some rooms for you to stay in tonight," Gracia offered, "Please, get comfortable while I put these dishes away and I can tell you all I know."

He told her, "your offer is most kind, though I read we have been a burden on your hospitality long enough. We have a place we can stay. You needn't worry about us."

"Aldrich Stone is the councilman I'm acquainted with," Gracia began, "He lives in the Inner City of Alliria, somewhere close to the council chamber. Forgive me, but I cannot remember his specific location. I conversed with him briefly about Bromwich, the town in question. He was remorseful about the loss of the town as it was once a hub for traders and travelers who didn't traverse by sea. Aldrich is the kind of man who's obsessed with riches, so I have no doubt he will allow you to defeat the bandits for him."

Gracia twiddled her fingers along the wood of her armrest, letting her fingers dance along a glass of cider. She brought it to her lips and relished in its freshness. Setting the glass on the table beside her chair, she found that it brushed upon the papers from House Banick. She'd have to finish writing her letter tonight if she wished to keep good word with the family. They expected speedy replies.

"However, seeing as Aldrich is a man of money, I expect that he'll have trouble parting with the town entirely. I can't be sure what he'll want from you, but I will do what I can to ensure that his demands are reasonable," she finished.

"Oh I wouldn't worry too much about the price, I can be quite persuasive when I need to be. Especially with a few hundred professional soldiers behind me. That and, as far as I can tell, he no longer owns the town, which means he has no authority over it, which can be pressed to inform him that we really needn't pay him anything at all. We will pay, rest assured, but he will know that it was out of goodwill, not requirement. If it comes down to that of course. That and us getting rid of the brigands would also help pay for the town, so anything outlandish or too large simply isn't viable and I imagine he'd know that as a merchant."

• Popcorn
"I like the way you think," Gracia smiled, "It's honorable. Too honorable, perhaps. Noblemen are nothing of the like. I wouldn't underestimate them. Though you make a good point."

Gracia stood and led the men to the door, stepping outside with them, "I'll meet you here tomorrow morning, then. I wish you a good night."

After the men took their leave and Gracia waved them goodbye, she returned to her living room with the half-empty platter of nuts and fruits and continued the meal herself. Refreshed with the sweetness of strawberries and grapes, she found herself ready to get back to work. She put away the platter and unopened ciders, then sat down to attend to her stack of letters. House Banick hadn't been the only one to send her papers.

The remainder of the day was spent reassuring Vennik of House Banick that his supply of military materials was en route and would be arriving on time if not early. It was spent writing to Teresa of House Sirl that a meeting was in fact in order and should be scheduled for the next season as she was preoccupied for the time being. It was spent writing to Aldrich Stone of the Merchant Council of Alliria to expect her company along with soldiers of Xian Kin with a proposition he wouldn't be able to refuse.

Gracia's sleep that night was serene. It was about time she got her hands on some real work.

• Bless
"I like the way you think," Gracia smiled, "It's honorable. Too honorable, perhaps. Noblemen are nothing of the like. I wouldn't underestimate them. Though you make a good point."

She cocked an eyebrow at her with a smile. "Well that's just hurtful. I'm sure not all of them are all that bad. Though I'm glad I've made a good impression."

Gracia stood and led the men to the door, stepping outside with them, "I'll meet you here tomorrow morning, then. I wish you a good night."

He and his men followed her to the door, and when outside they all bowed at the waist and Sung Na said, "goodnight Miss Gracia. Your hospitality was superb and I look forward to our next meeting. Until next morrow, farewell."

With that he and his men returned to their ships, which had been docked for the duration of their time in the west. The men often went about the town, scouting, learning, studying, socializing and even assisting the city guard with a few more dangerous criminals. But they had slept on the ships throughout the entirety of their stay, that was liable to change, he'd leave a portion of his force with the ships, but most would accompany them to Alliria, and take the town, then rebuild it.

He went to his quarters and wrote a letter back to his homeland, namely to his minister of finance, who had been gathering resources very efficiently, and even opened several new mines. And he explained the current status, saying that regular shipments aught to start soon.

• Yay
When morning finally dawned, Gracia set right to work getting everything in order for the journey ahead. First things first, she changed from her nightgown into a purple cotton dress, something comfortable to wear for a short while. Slipping into a pair of simple boots, she combed her hair and let her curls free over her shoulders.

After eating a breakfast of bread and cheese, she set out to finish a handful of simple tasks before Sung Na's arrival. Scooping up her letters, she head out the door and took a brisk walk to the post a few blocks down. She was lucky to live so close. Gracia handed her letters to a courier and watched as he gently set them in his bag.

Upon returning home, she immediately head to her storage closet and pulled out two old saddlebags, both of which were rather large. A month was a long time on horseback. Raiding her closet, she pulled out a small assortment of traveling clothes she still deemed presentable: silk blouses, fur coats, leather pants. Next, she packed an assortment of foods. Gracia was sure Sung Na was prepared, but she made sure to pack a bit extra just in case. She wrapped two loaves of bread, five slices of cheese, a spread of jam tarts, and two hunks of raw beef. Lastly, she went to her apothecary and packed a handful of useful healing supplies and magic brews. In a light, string bag, she packed her medicinal herbs and concoctions that were sure to come in handy after the encounter with bandits. In a pouch made to be strapped to a belt, Gracia slipped in five magical brews, each of which she thought might come in handy should she be attacked.

Once she finished loading all of her pouches and supplies into her saddlebags, she changed into travel wear, now donned in a blatantly mage-appropriate getup. Then, she moved her saddlebags to the front room and awaited Sung Na's arrival.

• Devil
She had finished just in time. Sung Na, mounted atop an armored horse.
proxy.php

He was flanked by two soldiers this time instead of four, and between the two was a beautiful white mare. Her coat was well groomed and clean, and she wore a polished leather saddle, that was obviously designed to be comfortable.

He greeted her, a bow of his head instead of at the waist due to being on horseback. "Good morning to you miss Gracia."

He dismounted and put her saddlebags over the mare's flanks where they belonged. Then he offered to help her mount should she require it.

Once that was done he mounted his own horse again and spurred it towards the gate, being sure to stay only slightly ahead of his companion. When they exited the gates, they only had to go out a few miles before they met up with Sung Na's army, a few hundred strong, and marching. It was off to Alliria with them.

• Sip
Gracia met Sung Na outside her door, grateful for his help with her saddlebags. When he extended a hand to help her on her mount, she accepted, and was surprised to find the saddle comfortable. The horse was gorgeous, a truly stunning figure. Gracia thanked Sung Na for his offers and set off with him to the gates of Elbion.

Outside Elbion, only a few miles from the gates, sat Sung Na's army. It was huge. Never did Gracia expect to see such a dense army awaiting them. She figured he would bring along only enough to rid Bromwich of its bandits. This was enough to fight a battle.

"I see you come prepared," Gracia said.

The trip to Alliria lasted only a month, thankfully. Gracia was afraid they might run into trouble on their way there as she had so many times before. She was sure the marching army scared any dangers away. They had no trouble camping or finding places to camp and she didn't mind sleeping in the open air so much, though after a month she began to long for a warm bed. Gracia had run out of her packed food by the time they reached Alliria, but, as she suspected, that was a matter of no importance as Sung Na's army was well fed and, in turn, she was too.

After a month of stomping through the Aberresai Savannah and the upper Falwood, the party could finally see the western gates of Alliria.

• Sip
"I see you come prepared," Gracia said.

“Preparation is key.” He said simply. “And most of these men are sick of sleeping on ships, that and restless. They are soldiers, and they’ve conquered much of the east, their blades cry for blood. Besides, it’s one thing to take a town, but it will take a great deal of time to actually get them over here, time we can use to build up and expand upon the town in preparation.”

As expected, no bandits were found. And after a month they arrived in Alliria. He left his army several miles outside of the city, to show that he is not an aggressor. And he turned to Gracia. “You know you’re way around. Your turn to lead.”

• Cheer
"Gladly," Gracia said with a slight bow of her head.

Alliria was far too crowded for mounted travel, so she found a secluded area just inside the gates where grass still grew and hopped down from her horse, tying it to a tree. The path leading to the Outer City awaited them.

"It's best if we travel on foot from here. Allira is bustling and it would take longer to get to our destination if we tried to weave horses through the crowds," she explained.

The Outer City was packed with business, functioning as a large marketplace. People were scurrying from stall to stall, waving their coin purses above their heads as vendors shouted their prices. Gracia had to restrain from visiting her favorite shops. It'd been so long since she last visited the city. Perhaps she'd stay behind for a while and find some work here after this job was done. A letter to another of the von Stehlen's with word to watch over the house in Elbion couldn't hurt.

As they entered the Inner City, Gracia navigated her way to the circle of noble houses she remembered Aldrich living in. She hoped to run into him by chance, as she had before, and with her luck they did. Aldrich seemed to be on his way home and Gracia spotted him entering his manor.

"There he is," Gracia told Sung Na, "in that house there."

She led him to the door and used the goblin-shaped knocker to alert Aldrich of their presence. A groan could be heard from inside and a rustling sounded as the door finally opened. Aldrich Stone was of average height and wore a handsome face, only slightly aged. Upon seeing who was at his door, he relaxed a bit and leaned into his doorframe.

"Ah," he said, "Miss von Stehlen! It's been quite some time. I was wondering if I'd see you again." His eyes darted to Sung Na behind her, "And who might this be?"

• Sip
"Gladly," Gracia said with a slight bow of her head.

Alliria was far too crowded for mounted travel, so she found a secluded area just inside the gates where grass still grew and hopped down from her horse, tying it to a tree. The path leading to the Outer City awaited them.

"It's best if we travel on foot from here. Allira is bustling and it would take longer to get to our destination if we tried to weave horses through the crowds," she explained.

He nodded his understanding.

“Makes sense. Sounds like Gou Yi back home.” He mused as he followed suit, tying his horse off, and following her into the city. It’s business was astounding. It was as crowded as could be, almost as much as some of the biggest cities back home. And the noise was overwhelming, or would be if he weren’t accustomed to the screams of dying men in a battle.

They approached the noble quarter, then a single house. She knocked, and a man emerged.

She led him to the door and used the goblin-shaped knocker to alert Aldrich of their presence. A groan could be heard from inside and a rustling sounded as the door finally opened. Aldrich Stone was of average height and wore a handsome face, only slightly aged. Upon seeing who was at his door, he relaxed a bit and leaned into his doorframe.

"Ah," he said, "Miss von Stehlen! It's been quite some time. I was wondering if I'd see you again." His eyes darted to Sung Na behind her, "And who might this be?"

He bowed at the waist and said politely. “Sung Na, a pleasure to meet you sir.”

• Sip
"Sung Na?" Aldrich said, "And where might you be form, Sung Na?"

Gracia butt in before Aldrich could twist himself into some confusing tangent, "He's from Xian Kin in the east and he's here with a proposition for you."

Aldrich hesitated for a second before decided to let the two of them inside. His home was much larger than Gracia's back in Elbion and it was much fancier, too. There was no stacks of books or piles of knick-knacks littering the tables. The furniture was arranged in an orderly fashion and cleaned to perfection. He clearly had multiple servants or maids working for him.

"Take a seat," Aldrich said, motioning to his living room.

He yelled for someone to bring them some mead. It appeared to Gracia that she wasn't the only one who liked to drink in the mornings.

"Now, Sung Na," Aldrich addressed the warrior, "What is it you have for me?"

• Popcorn
"Now, Sung Na," Aldrich addressed the warrior, "What is it you have for me?"

He stood calmly in front of him. He said simply. “I need a town. A small one but a town. I have heard that you have a bandit problem, specifically, a large group of bandits that have taken over the town that I am looking at. My proposition is this, I get rid of the bandits and pay you a sum of valuable resources, silk and jade specifically, and I keep the town.”

He was straight to the point. He made sure that he seemed to Ben one not to suffer fools, nor one who could be fooled easily. He also made sure to seem calm and in control, not desperate.

• Sip
Aldrich appeared to think for a moment, "I assume you're speaking of Bromwich?"

He shot Gracia a look. What kind of look, she couldn't quite interpret. She'd brought him someone he could find benefit from. For some strange reason, she got the sense that he was irritated. Should she not have shared this information or was he simply jittery at the idea of a foreigner taking over Allirian land?

"What you're offering me is both the vanquishing of that dreaded bandit gang and a collection of eastern valuables. What I want is for Alliria to have access to Bromwich again. Both of your offerings are fantastic and much more than anything I can offer you, but what I desire is partnership. You can have the city all you want. Rebuild it from the ground up for all I care. Repopulate it with your people. As long as traders can travel through Bromwich again and stay in what could be your inns, I will be happy."

However irritated Aldrich was, he wasn't showing it. He must be desperate to see Bromwich thrive again.

"I have one condition, though," he said, "You will retain swift and friendly contact with Alliria should you be needed. I must know of what nations you are allied with. I don't want any instance where your people could turn on us, you must understand."

"What you're offering me is both the vanquishing of that dreaded bandit gang and a collection of eastern valuables. What I want is for Alliria to have access to Bromwich again. Both of your offerings are fantastic and much more than anything I can offer you, but what I desire is partnership. You can have the city all you want. Rebuild it from the ground up for all I care. Repopulate it with your people. As long as traders can travel through Bromwich again and stay in what could be your inns, I will be happy."

However irritated Aldrich was, he wasn't showing it. He must be desperate to see Bromwich thrive again.

"I have one condition, though," he said, "You will retain swift and friendly contact with Alliria should you be needed. I must know of what nations you are allied with. I don't want any instance where your people could turn on us, you must understand."

“That is more than reasonable sir. And I see no reason to say no. And friendly contact is the goal, though not as subordinates I will warn you. Trade agreements and alliances are my goals, therefore you should have no fear that I will turn on you. As far as my allegiances go, I am sovereign, warlord of an independent state. Don’t let the title worry you, it is our equivalent of a Duke or lesser king. As for what nations, we have trade agreements pending all across the two continents but no military alliances. We prefer neutrality in war unless blatantly provoked. So you needn’t worry about aggression on my part.”

He was fairly good at reading people, manipulation of one’s enemies and allies alike is key to warfare, of all kinds. So his irritation, while well hidden wasn’t completely invisible.

What he was worried about was the possibility that Alliria would betray them, using them taking the town as an excuse to attack them with the full force of their armies. Which would in turn lead to a full invasion on his part.

• Cheer
Aldrich stood from his chair, Gracia following suit, and shook Sung Na's hand, "I look forward to our partnership."

After situated themselves with goodbyes, Gracia told the man, "We will return tomorrow morning with news of Bromwich's state. Most likely, some of its new citizens will already be moving in."

Aldrich waved his hand and nodded them away, perfectly fine awaiting the battle with the bandits from the comfort of his living room. Gracia led Sung Na out of the house and back through the even more crowded streets of Alliria. Noon was setting in and the people were all out and about at this time of day.

When they returned to their horses, Gracia fetched the last bit of bread from her saddlebags and offered a slice to Sung Na. This would have to do for lunch, though adrenaline would suffice as they made the short journey to Bromwich. It was barely twenty miles out from the gates.

After situated themselves with goodbyes, Gracia told the man, "We will return tomorrow morning with news of Bromwich's state. Most likely, some of its new citizens will already be moving in."

“Simple enough. Do we report it back to him directly or do we go to someone else?” He asked calmly. He wanted to know how to go about doing these western politics.

Aldrich waved his hand and nodded them away, perfectly fine awaiting the battle with the bandits from the comfort of his living room. Gracia led Sung Na out of the house and back through the even more crowded streets of Alliria. Noon was setting in and the people were all out and about at this time of day.

When they returned to their horses, Gracia fetched the last bit of bread from her saddlebags and offered a slice to Sung Na. This would have to do for lunch, though adrenaline would suffice as they made the short journey to Bromwich. It was barely twenty miles out from the gates.

The food was appreciated but he waved it aside. “Thanksgiving, but a full stomach is never good to into battle with.”

They rode out from the gates, and rejoined the army. The army divided into three, and two went off ahead to flank the town. While the third, headed by Sung Na, went straight for it. Twenty miles, and they arrived. Three sections of one army on three different sides. Each division with Ji infantry, crossbowmen and small units of cavalry.

Sung Na drew his heavy saber, a nieuwaidao, and stood at the head of his army. He turned to Gracia and said, “I advise you withdraw to the rear. I don’t know how experienced you are in war but you are not equipped for battle, nor can I allow an ally of mine to come to harm.

• Nervous