The Sublime
Character Biography
Link
The White Hare: Yulien

IMG_8136.jpeg“What a bewitching girl.”

“She’s pretty, all right, but… when you look closely… she’s clearly a dimwit.”

“You say that like it’s a bad thing.”

“For her it is.”

“You almost sound guilty. Has she gotten to you, too? You know you’re not supposed to remove your mask when….”

Signe took two steps back from the door as if she hadn’t be eavesdropping. She took one more for good measuring, waited for two breaths to leave her lungs before stepping forward. She made sure the sole of her pointe shoes clacked loudly against the wood. Another loud step and then another. Signe burst through the door that had been slightly ajar. Her face was nothing more than shining green eyes and dazzling white teeth.

Dressed in tights, black leotard and a black chiffon wrap-skirt tied just beneath the small of her waist. Hair was perfectly tied and pinned back into a tight bun and dry oil had been used to slick any baby hairs into submission.

I hope we’re all ready for tonight!” Signe declared to the three fae wearing masks that covered everything from the bottom of their nose to the top of their head. There was a hierarchy here, something that Signe hadn’t questioned despite it being Winter Court and not Night Court. She figured it was because they were into theatrics. The black wolves, the gray deers, and the white hares who all had their particular role in the old dance venue.

The black wolves handled things like the lighting and setting up the stage, working alongside the white hares. The white hares would be the only ones to remove their mask and dance with her in practice and for the rehearsal. They immediately put their mask back on the moment they could. Regardless, they were all talented dancers. The gray deers were mysterious, seemingly above the wolves and hares despite their elusive nature. Signe wasn’t quite sure what they did other than the one who led her through the maze underneath the forgotten opera hall.

The two black wolves and one white hare were relaxing leisurely on chairs and recliners. Had they sat themselves when hearing her arrival?

I know I’m early for our first rehearsal but I was so excited I couldn’t sleep!” Not that she could sleep anyhow when after midnight she had to sneak out of her home without waking anyone. Only the white hare proffered a knowing smile in return, the silver eyes that blended in so well with the mask showing that it was Yulien.

“It’s okay, Lady Signe.” The sidhe said lightly, using a tilt of her head to gesture to the black wolves that they should leave. The two did so without a word, although they briefly dipped their head respectfully to Signe as they moved around her to leave. They shut the door behind them. With a dainty alabaster hand, Yulien offered for Signe to sit down in front of her.

Signe went to sit, still smiling.

“You seem nervous.”

Do I?” Signe sat down on the old velvet recliner, not leaning back so she could keep her shoulders straight. The duanann tittered and a hand went up to push a strand of hair behind her ear but there was nothing there. “How strange I don’t think I am.”

“You are.” Yulien’s gaze didn’t waver. Like all fae, she was more than just adept to word play. “Stage fright?” Signe wasn’t stupid enough to not take the chance to divert suspicion. Was Yulien even suspicious of her? Had she caught her eavesdropping? It couldn’t be that, or else wouldn’t the conversation have ended the moment they realized she was eavesdropping. Unless they had wanted her to hear?

Maybe that’s it. I’ve never danced in front of an audience. Back in Night Court, I couldn’t really—

“Perform. I know.” Yulien gave her a saccharine sympathetic look now. “You can’t think about that place. You’re here now. If your mind wanders then you’ll make some sort of mistake. It would be a shame if you didn’t position your fingers correctly or if your turn out was wobbly. I mean, you’re going to have to do thirty-four spins in twenty seconds so really, the chances of one being wobbly is likely.” Signe glanced down at her hands in her lap. “It would ruin the whole show when everyone is coming to see you, the millennium dancer that only comes once, well, in a millennia. It’s not the show we’re advertising— it’s you. You can’t disappoint our Lady who’s been so generous in giving you this opportunity.” Something about Yulien’s words sounded more sarcastic than comforting, but Signe couldn’t discern if it was her tone, the look in her eyes, or the way she fingered a hole she had found in the cushion she was reclining against.

“You’ll probably be fine as long as you dance as you have been. After opening night I’m sure all everyone in Underhill will be able to talk about will be Sevara, the Millenium Dancer.” Signe nodded her head, widening her smile as if she hadn’t seen a roll of silver eyes behind a white hare mask. Yulien sat up, stretching before standing up. “Well, I should see what’s taking everyone else so long. Make sure you’re out in five.” Yulien’s long strides couldn’t have brought the silvery fae to the door faster.

Signe placed a hand over her heart. It felt like she had just danced through the first and second acts without pause. She reminded herself that Yulien was just jealous, no longer being the best dancer meant that she hadn’t gotten the best roles. Signe felt bad that they had been awarded to her, but it wasn’t her fault that despite being younger and less experienced Yulien, she had earned those roles! It didn’t make Yulien a bad dancer, it just kept her from being the best. Signe was surprised that the nymph hadn’t gotten someone to toss in iron tacks or cursed shards of glass into her pointe shoes.

Until she could truly befriend Yulien, and Signe was confident that she could charm her into becoming her friend with enough patience and kindness, she would keep checking her shoes and attire for anything suspicious. Dress rehearsals would be obnoxious but Signe couldn’t risk any damage before the big show.

The recliner creaked pitifully as Signe got up to head to the stage.

[art cred]

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Seryn Lusce
The Black Wolf: Fenex

IMG_8154.jpegThere was a part in the production when Signe had to be turned by four suitors. While three of the less talented white hares took on this part, there was one black wolf that had joined in. He was shorter than Signe in such a obvious fashion that she wondered if he would have to use a glamor. Then again, she supposed that thought was a mean one. The black shuck couldn’t help his height.

It also didn’t matter when he held her hand and walked around her while she was on pointe. Despite all the talent and skill that Signe possessed, the rose adagio focused on tenacity and perseverance. Staying on pointe for so long (four times in the beginning, another four times at the end!) on the same leg to then complete the dance with the suitors had Signe second guessing every nice thing ever said about her dancing abilities. Somehow she hadn’t messed up even with her core and thighs feeling like they could give out at any second.

They never did. It was a good reminder that she was stronger than she thought herself to be, physically and willfully.

The act closed with Signe going back up on pointe to be spun by the four suitors of the seasons once more, the black wolf being the last of the suitors who would then help her spin one last final time before the music would come to an end. Signe held the smile and made sure her finger placement was perfect to distract her from how her lungs seemed ready to burst from her ribs.

The three instructors (they wore masks to represent the Sun, Lessat and Pneria) murmured amongst themselves before then going off to make the corrections. Instructor Lessat came up to Signe and the black wolf, making minor but important corrections for them both.

“When you give Fenex your hand don’t do it so quickly like you’re trying to rush it.” She explained, going onto pointe herself and then showing how slowly she wanted Signe to bring her hand down. To the black shuck she said, “even if it looks like she’s struggling, take your time with the turn and the bow. This is the highlight of the first act.” She was off then to the other three who played the suitors of Spring, Summer and Autumn.

Signe went to brush the sweat off her brow, breathing hard freely now that the instructor’s keen eye was focused elsewhere.

Your name is Fenex?” She asked before the black wolf playing the suitor of winter could sneak away. He had already pivoted from her. He stopped. There were small beads of sweat on the back of his gray neck. Signe liked this gray. It was a dark stormy gray that reminded her of Unnuaq. While she hadn’t liked the storms that raged around their home, she did like the color of the sky.

“It is, Lady Signe.” Fenex said as he turned his head over his shoulder. His gold eyes were bright with a unsureness that easily placed him as one of the black wolves from earlier, talking with Yulien. He had thought she was bewitching and that it was bad she was a dimwit. Signe beamed at Fenex, smiling wide for him and taking a step towards him.

He took a step back but her stride was greater than his. It didn’t bring back as much distance as he probably wanted.

You’re the only one to dance. Do you enjoy it?” The question threw him off guard. “You’re quite good. The best out of the other suitors.” She whispered conspiratorially to him as her green eyes glanced to the white hares that were still being corrected by Instructor Lessat. “It’s a shame you aren’t in more scenes.

“I—well… thank you.” He seemed flustered by the compliment. Signe waited for him to say more but he didn’t.

So do you like dancing?” She persisted.

“I guess so.”

How old are you?

“Not yet a century.”

Such talent you have already.” Signe remarked. “Really, even without our part together, when you’re off to the side at the midway point, when the king is encouraging all the suitors to—“ She reached out to take Fenex’s hand but he recoiled immediately, taking many steps away from her.

“I have things to do. The lightning, you see, it’s detrimental to the second act. I’m the only fast enough to change the colors with the….” She couldn’t hear the rest as he had turned long before speaking and was briskly marching away from her. Signe frowned and looked down at her clammy hand.

When she looked up to get ready into the next position she saw Yulien’s icy stare. The nymph didn’t look away and so Signe did. How long had she been staring?

[art cred same as previous post]