Open Chronicles The Wolf and The Bat

A roleplay open for anyone to join
Oddly enough that sobered her. She sniffled, pulling her teeth out of her knee and looking... confused. "Are you calling me a troll?" She asked, deadpan and drained.

"In a way." He really wasn't good at this.

Pep talks were something he had to work on.

Perhaps that was something Rose would do for him, though in truth he knew that they could not stay together long. She had a better chance of...well, of being human once more. She could control it, it would take time, but he knew that she could. He'd seen it before.

"I am saying there are monsters, but not all monsters are wanton killers." His old Commander would have screamed at him for that. "You don't have to be that."

• Yay
Reactions: Rose
She fell silent, nothing but her sniffles echoing inside the cavern as she gazed at the bloodstains the dissembled sheep had left behind.

"I killed it," she echoed, her voice small and soft. "What am if not a killer? I can't live without doing that-- and I'll keep doing it again and again-- a life for mine for ever and ever-- I am a wanton killer. I'm a monster. A bad one," she told him, pained.

• Yay
Reactions: Ishar Morrad
"Then kill the people that deserve it." He said plainly.

This was the difficult part, in truth. Rose was not a killer, but her affliction...well she needed to kill to survive. There was no other way to it. "For better or for worse you are what you are."

A frown touched Ishar's face.

"You need blood." He wondered which of them had it worse. "Otherwise you'll die."

Slowly the old Templar took a breath. "Those are your choices."

• Yay
There was nothing soothing about that reality. She curled into herself, another sob catching in her throat as his words. "I want another choice," she protested, crying into her knees. Her hair stuck to her cheeks from blood and tears alike, the very fact that she was still hungry leading her into a deeper sense of hopeless desperation.

"I don't want to be this."

He frowned for a brief moment, unsure of what to tell her. A part of him wished that he could still look into the archives, that he could peer at the books and give some other solutions.

Yet he had none. "I have never heard of a cure for Vampirism."

The words did not sound harsh, but a simple truth that he had to tell her. There was no way around it really, nothing else that he could tell her.

"The Blightlands Templar weren't exactly scholars." He said quietly. "Never had much time."

Not like others. "Maybe in Elbion..."

His words drifted off.

• Yay
She straightened, a bit of intention sparking to her dulled expression. "Elbion?" She asked, tone impassioned. "Where is Elbion." It was a demand, not a question.

Ishar could instantly see the small spark in her gaze, the fact that told of her intention before she could even say it. The trouble with Elbion was...they were just as likely to dissect her as they were to help her.

Damned mages. "Across the Spine, over the Steppes, through the plains."

Far.

Farther than he had ever traveled, farther than most men would ever see in their entire lives in fact. He frowned for a brief moment, trying to think of the distance. The journey was not a short one, grueling and dangerous as could be. A dozen warlords made their homes between here and there.

"Thousands of leagues." He added quietly.

• Yay
She uncurled, smushing her hair back and unconsciously leaning close to him. "But they have answers there? They could help us?"

It was the first spark of hope she had felt in a year and it ignited through her in a frenzy. There would be no deterring her from this. There was no distance that was too far, no danger that was too deadly. If there was a chance, however small, that she could cured... then it was worth every moment it would take to reach it.

Every. Moment.

"We have to go. You have to take me, we have to try!"

• Yay
"Maybe." He was not the sort to give false hope. Not with something like this. "It is a college of mages. Dozens...hundreds actually."

The idea of being surrounded by that amount of sorcerers was unnerving to say the least. The Blightlands had mages, shamans even, but...not that many. You could never be quite sure what they were thinking, what they were plotting or what they were really interested in.

It unnerved him.

"There's no guarantee even there." He said quietly.

Then slowly he added. "But if anyone would know..."

That or the other Templar Chapters.

• Yay
Rose breathed in quick excitement, rubbing at her face and hair as if the simple action could make her fit for humanity and travel again.

"Well what are we waiting for? You've had rest, right? You're good to go, letsgo." Tonight's ordeal seemed forgotten by her, just like that said and done. He had wondered how she had coped-- selective memory was how she did it. Nothing else matter now, nothing else had happened.

She stood up and grabbed at their stuff, trying to pack up camp to override any protests.

• Yay
He frowned. "You need to wash."

Traveling with a girl covered in blood wasn't exactly the smartest thing, particularly given the context of a sheep having just been stolen. The people around here were small time villagers, but they weren't complete idiots either.

"And we need supplies." His frown deepened. "Crossing the Spine itself is hard enough now that we can't go through Belgrath."

The siege had seen to that. "Plus I have no idea where any villages are in the west."

They would need to survive on their own.

Oddly, Ishar didn't even seem to realize that he had agreed to this journey.

• Yay
"Alright," she agreed quickly, eager to consent to any and everything so long as he didn't say no. "Wheeeeere's the river, I'll bathe. And you, we- um. Maps. Right, we can get maps. You know herbs so we don't need a book for that. And- uh," she patted herself down, almost manic in the manner in which she tried to come up with solutions. "Another fire rock!"

"I have our coins, we can get stuff with them!" She scrambled, grabbing said coin pouch of both their wares from days precious and tossing it his way.

• Yay
"There won't be any maps of the other side of the spine here." He said quietly, knowing exactly the circumstance that faced them. "We'll have to make it over the spine and then search for a village that will have them."

Difficult, but not impossible. Anything they found on this side of the spine would be too warped.

This trip would be difficult to say the least. "I can get us the supplies we need for getting over the Spine at least. Once there..."

He frowned.

Ishar had never been that far west.

• Yay
"Once there we'll figure it," she prompted, insistent. "I-oh-aha!" She pulled a dried, cloth-wrapped bar of soap out of her bag. This wasn't her first rodeo.

"Imma go wash and then-- inn?" She was too excitable for full sentences now, her expression almost vulnerable as she prodded him to move forward with her.

• Yay
He nodded. "I'll clean up here."

The meat they wouldn't be able to take, but there was a chance he could trade it for some dried or salted jerky within the town. Of course he'd have to make up where it came from but...a lie here and there wouldn't hurt.

Particularly since he'd left gold behind.

"Then meet at the Inn." They would need to prepare themselves for this, no question. At the very least winter was over, and that meant no more blizzards.

The spine would still be a challenge though. It always was.

• Yay
She nodded, hesitating in place before offering an unsure smile.

"Thanks. See you there."

She dissolved into the shadows, zooming out with a burst of speed.

Coming back to the town wasn't so fun now. Usually any ole town was a spark of excitement in her life-- something to look forward to. Now it was a pesky obstical in the way of a cure.

She came in quickly, a sense of purpose to her stride as she blew her wet hair out of her eyes and looked around for Ishar. She plopped heavily besides him, intense. "You get everything?"

"Mostly." Some things were easier than others. Food he had managed fairly easily, clothes were the hard part. Traveling across the spine and moving quickly would mean they would get cold, encounter wind, storms, everything the mountains had to throw at them.

These folk weren't really gearing up to do any of that.

Eventually though he'd found the right people to trade with, talk with, and settle on one deal or another. Ishar wasn't entirely pleased with it, but...well it was what they had to do.

"It should be enough." Hopefully. "Though It will be difficult."[/color

• Yay
"Wow," Rose commented, picking through the stack and noting that he had gotten stuff for her too. Despite their abruptly shared pool of earnings, it still struck her that he had looked out for her in such a way.

She stroked a woolly cloak for a moment, then looked up to him. "We're stronger, faster, and harder than most people." A slight silver lining to their condition. "If anyone can do this, it's us."

"Isthereanymoneyleft," she asked, voice small, like a child asking for a toy at a toyshop.

• Yay
She was right of course. Both of them had their own special...circumstance that allowed them to go above and beyond what ordinary people were capable of.

It would help them cross the Spine, that was for sure.

"A few silvers." He said quietly. "Most here aren't too eager to part with what they have."

He glanced around. "Especially since Belgrath."

The traders came less often now than they had before. With attack on Belgrath merchants to stick to routes that were safer for them, less of a hazard he supposed.

• Yay
Oh that wasn't enough. Not enough at all.

She gave a forlorn glance to the bar, steeling herself for a very long time without any milk. She gave a soft shudder, the concept of such prolonged discomfort almost overwhelming, but she did not fold to it.

Whatever it took.

She cleared her throat, trying to mask the pinch. "What's Belgrath?"

• Yay
He blinked. "It is a dwarven city, the only one left."

At least from what he knew.

There were probably a few smaller settlements somewhere, but...Belgrath had been the dwarven city for almost as long as; pretty much forever. Well before his lifetime, that was for sure.

"A few weeks ago someone besieged it's outer fortress." Largest battle the world had seen in a while, so it was told. "They didn't make it to the city, it's defenses were...well, not important."

Belgrath had been built for a different age. "The attack still made merchant's worried though, mainly because it happened on this side of the Spine."

• Yay
"Oh." She blinked. "Right, I knew that..." She had studied it in fact. It was discerning that she had forgotten that so easily. She had once had hopes to enter a college herself, but now ... well she had forgotten Belgrath.

She suppose she could go about learning it all again after the cure. All the more reason not to waste anymore time.

"Can we go now then, or..."

• Yay
"No." He said shaking his head.

It was well into the night now, and setting off on a journey, particularly one that took you over the Spine during the middle of a night was foolish to put it kindly.

"Too dark." Ishar explained. "We'll set off in the morning."

It would give them a night of much needed rest after a day of walking.

Good thing to have at the start of something like this.

"Oh," she echoed. She squirmed in place, looking around. "So we just... we just wait. Right. Can do that." She ran her fingers over the table, drumming with her nails. "I'm not tired, you tired?"

• Yay