Private Tales The Weight of a Generation

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Ein

The Eternal
Character Biography
Link
Savannah

"Look." Ein's voice could barely be heard over the sound of wind that rushed over the cliff face, the lands below seeming utterly peaceful as he spoke. "I don't want to push you. You don't want me to push you."

His hand rested on a man's shoulder. Bindings cuffed the man's arms behind his back, his armor a patchwork of leather and steel plate that had clearly been hastily cobbled together. Besides him was a patch of dirt that had clearly been recently disturbed, it's former occupant now sprawled far down below the cliffs. His body a mangled mass of blood. "Learn the lesson from your friend."

Slowly Ein glanced over his shoulder towards where Mable and the their horses were.

"Tell me where your camp is, and I'll let you go." The words came as he patted the man on the shoulder. "Make the smart decision here."

The man looked up at Ein for a moment, then down the sheer cliff face on which he was kneeling. Sweat pooled on his brow despite the cold wind that rushed over them all. His entire body seemed to shake violently, and then slowly he began to nod.

"I-I-ye-it's in the foothills of the Ard Mountains. To the north of Aldholm."​

A frown touched Ein's face. The Ard Mountains? That was nearly forty miles from here, but it made sense with everything else they had managed to put together. "See? That wasn't too hard."

Slowly Ein stood, glancing over towards his companion.

"Probably all we need, right?" He asked.

Mable stood impatiently, this was taking too long. Ein was toying with his food, and she was growing annoyed. She could have plucked the infor from them easily, but no. Ein wanted to make and impression and do it the hard way.

She could feel the fear rolling off the man, and she couldn't help but grin. Maybe there was a good reason to drag it out. The wind sang as it whipped her red locks, and she strode over to the two. The pathetic waste of space was ready to spill it seemed.

"The Ard mountains? My ass is going to be aching by the time we get over there." She sighed as Ein looked to her for confirmation. She nodded a murderous grin on her face. "Yeah, we got what we needed." She laughed softly and made as if she was going to release him.

Instead of reaching out to undo his bindings, she stood before him. Her green eyes glinted dangerously and she lifted her foot. With tremendous force, she kicked him in the chest, sending him hurtling off the cliff face. She turned to Ein and smiled sweetly. "Oops." She walked back to the horses, a swagger in her step. "Do you want to keep going then?" She shouted over her shoulder at her companion. They could still make some time before nightfall, but she had no clue what other spots the would have to camp at once they left here.

Ein

• Smug
Reactions: Ein
Ein let out a breath.

He'd half wanted to release the man and let him run back to the rest of his clan, but perhaps with Mable around he should have known better. His head shook slightly, but it was a half-hearted gesture at best. He knew his friend better than to expect anything else.

"Might as well." He offered with a shrug.

The Ard Mountains would take at least two days to reach, and after that they would have to scour the area for this stupid camp. "If your ass hurts too much by the end I'll even rub it for you."

Ein said as he stepped over towards his horse, grabbing the top of his saddle and hauling himself into it in one fluid motion.

He had no idea why the guard had assigned them this stupid mission. These Bandits had been plaguing the area for months now. It was a task for the guard, not two of the strongest Dreadlords now in service to Vel Anir. Perhaps they just knew they were too incompetent to handle it themselves.

One last glance was spared towards the edge of the cliff, and then he tugged on his reins and headed towards the steep path downward.

• Smug
Reactions: Mable
Mable laughed as Ein shook his head, her chin tilted upwards as she gave him a side eye. He knew her too well at this point, she could never resist the urge to cause trouble. Call it boredom, she just couldn't help herself. Being as strong as she was, confidence radiated off of her. Both Ein and herself had been the cream of the crop in the academy, and even now one would be hard pressed to match either of them.

She groaned as he suggested the ride on. "Fine, but im gonna hold you to that ass rubbing comment." She gave him and impish grin and a wink. She already knew it wouldn't flustered him, but it was fun all the same. She grabbed her horse and matched his fluidity as she mounted her own horse.

She could feel his annoyance, and a gentle prod of her telepathy had her echo what he had thought. "You're right, seems like a waste to send us all the way out here. Makes you wonder if there's something they aren't telling us." She urged the beast under her to follow her friend down the steep decline. "This is something even the brats at the academy could handle on their own."

She rolled her shoulders and looked at the sky, she hoped it wouldn't rain. Her hair didn't do well in the rain. "I say we go get drunk after we mop up and spend some government gold."

Ein

• Smug
A smirk touched his lips as she offered him a quick wink, his form easing in the saddle as they set off.

"Oh for sure." Ein readily agreed.

Nowadays he tried to spend as little time in Vel Anir as he possibly could. The place was stooped in the abject misery of politics and bandying of one promise or another. Back before the Revolution it had been tolerable, mostly because he'd lived in a mansion.

Now? Now he was stuck in some paltry barracks room surrounded by the unwashed masses of peasant Guardsmen.

So if Mable wanted to go drinking, then they would go drinking. Who was to say the mission didn't take a bit longer than expected? Plus, if they were killing bandits, there was bound to be some gold for an even extra bit of fun.

Though of course, they had to finish the mission first. "Let's keep a few of the bandits alive when we're done."

He mused.

"You can root around in their heads." Ein glanced at her. "And we can figure out what the fuck is actually going on."

• Smug
Mable followed the path behind Ein, it was slow going. Pebbles and dirt slid under the horses hooves as they made their way to the bottom, and she kept her eyes focused on Ein's back. They had grown up in the academy together, what started as a rivalry turned into friendship. She was closer to no one else.

She missed the days before the revolution. She couldn't get away with things like she used to. The guard was soft, and she despised being lumped with them. Her horse gave a snort as it stumbled on loose stone, and she grumbled, pulled from her reverie momentarily.

At his suggestion, she grinned widely. He wouldn't see it, but that didn't matter. "You certainly know the way onto a girl's heart. I too want to know the true nature of what we're dealing with. This can't be all there is to it, or I'm going to have a problem with them wasting our damn time."

The finally reached the bottom and she gripped the reins tighter in her hand. They would increase their speed from here, and run the horses as long as the could without stopping. The last thing she wanted was to find out that this whole mission was a bore.

Ein

• Smug
Ein didn't time how long they rode, nor really how far they had gone.

Once they reached the flat plateau beneath the cliffside both he and Mable pushed their mounts as fast and as far as they could possibly go. By the time they came to a stop the sun that once again touching the horizon, the day having given away to night.

"Alright." Ein called out, no small amount of weariness in his voice.

They had gone on long enough. "Let's look for a place to rest."

There was no doubt both of them could have pushed it further. They likely could have ridden all night and then some, but why kill themselves for a mission where they only knew half the story? Better to take it easy, be ready to fight if they needed to.

He whistled, and nudged them both over towards a stream that called out.

"I'm sore enough that my ass needs rubbing." Ein remarked as they finally came to a stop within a small clearing.

• Smug
Both Ein and Mable had pushed their steeds as far as they could go. Several leagues vanished underneath them, the pair all but quiet. Mable could reach out with her mind to speak to Ein if need be, but they were in a comfortable silence, their prey was their focus.

The day was quickly fading, and she lifted her head as Ein called out. She brought her horse even with his, the animal's head starting to droop from the hard ride. "I agree, the horses are going to get overextended if we continue."

She was weary, but she wasn't spent. They had trained for this, weapons that had little time for luxury. Not that Ein wasn't constantly searching for it. She turned her head at his whistle, following his lead. A stream quietly gurgled as they came to a stop in a clearing. She slipped out of the saddle and groaned as she stretched. "I'll rub yours if you rub mine."

She began stripping her bags off the horse and taking the saddle and rest of the gear off. "Want to get a fire going and I'll water the horses? I can try and snag some fish so we can eat something hot."

Ein

Ein grinned. "You first."

The Dreadlord said as he slipped off his horse, half stumbling as his legs decided that they'd needed a little bit more sleep. A quiet curse echoed from his lips, fists pressing into his thighs as he regained his balance and took a deep breath.

"Fuck this whole thing." He grumbled quietly, deciding then and there that the next mission would see him sent to a luxury hotel. Perhaps the Grand Lotus in Nira, he'd heard the service there was exceptional.

His head dipped in a quick nod. "I'll get the fire."

A sigh escaped him, but he quickly did as he would say.

The task was a particularly easy one. A few twigs gathered, some larger branches for later in the night, and then a simple snap of the finger. The flames sprang into life in an instant, turning from a blight luminescent blue to ordinary orange within a breath.

For a few moments he watched the fire dance, listening as Mable tread into the stream for what might be their meal.

"Remember Caiwin?" A mission the two of them had gone on as Initiates. One of their first alone. "This reminds me of that. Chasing bandits."

He chuckled dryly, remembering how that had ended.

Mable grinned slyly at him, they had an interesting relationship. Some may think them lovers the way they acted at times. No, that was something that they never explored. They had a steadfast friendship, and she would have his back no matter the situation. "Fine, me first. You're not getting out of it either."

She laughed to herself as she led the horses to the bank to drink and graze a bit. She stepped into the chilly water, it went to her thighs and sent a shiver down her spine. She reached out with her powers, feeling the presence of those around her.

She could feel Ein as he started the fire, the dull minds of the horses as they tore at the grass, and then deeper still the flash of conscious from the meal she searched for. She raised her hand, raising a sphere of water from the middle of the stream. It rolled slowly through the air, and she brought it to the grass.

She let the magic drop, and the water cascaded to the ground as it was released. She let out a sigh and trudged back up the bank. Water dripped from her as she picked up the fish from the now drenched soil. She walked back where Ein had gotten the fire going. "Caiwin? Yeah, this does seem to be a bit similar huh?" She pointed to the scar on her face and stuck her tongue out at him. "Thanks for that by the way, some friend you are." She laughed softly and began to prep the fish.

Ein

• Popcorn
Ein chuckled wryly. "I thought you'd move faster."

A shrug rolled over his shoulders. Remembering the fight where Mable had gotten that scar. The blade that had slipped through is body and cut across her eye.

That score had been settled a long time ago, at least Ein thought so. Mable wasn't the type to hold grudges...when it came to him anyway.

"Just reminds me of when the Proctors would tell us half the story." The redhead said with a slight frown, reaching out a finger and poking the sticks within the flame to better adjust them. "And expect us to figure out the rest."

His head shook. "I always fucking hated that."

Even then it had made him feel stupid, like a child being lead around by the nose. That had been part of the reason he'd sworn to House Weiroon. He'd been promised clarity, honesty. Ein had never cared about brutality, murder, anything at all.

As long as it was made clear for him.

Now he felt like he was back to square one.

• Thoughtful
Mable laughed as she began to spear the fish with sticks, digging the ends into the edge of the fire to cook. "I never made that mistake again, that's for sure." She did not hold it against him, even then she had only remained angry for a short time. They were to close for her to stay angry with him for long.

Her frown matched his as they sat. His words ringing true. They were only tools, first for the academy, their houses, and now the guard. They weren't considered people, not really. There was a time when she hadn't cared, reveling in the murder and the adventure of it all. She could feel the bitterness in her mouth now, it only grew worse every time they were told to do missions.

"Despite the safety the guard offers from punishment, I'm inclined to agree. I will gladly rip and tear anyone apart, as you know. I feel the frustration of being treated like cattle, I don't like being thrust blindly into things. There was barely even a brief for what we are doing right now. It makes me wonder what they are really hiding."

She offered him some of the cooked fish, wiggling it at him teasingly. "Maybe one day we can leave, when we are no longer useful." She mused almost to herself. She wondered what it would feel like to settle down, though she doubted there was any man on earth that could handle her crazy.

• Sip
The Revolution had changed things. For him, it had been for the worse. His time had been sent in the lap of luxury, squirreled away in the comfort of the Weiroon estates in the Allir Reach. The months there had been fun, joyous even, but he'd still been pointed in a direction.

When the Guard had recalled him they had offered retirement, reservism, and instead he'd chosen to work underneath them. A part of him hadn't wanted to, but there was a truth as to why he'd done it.

Ein shrugged his shoulders. "Truth is May."

It was the nickname he had always used for her. A shortening of an already short name. The small affection that he'd never granted to anyone else at the Academy.

"I have no idea what I would do If I left." He shook his head. "We were the best. We exceeded and excelled in a system that...just isn't there anymore."

A frown touched his lips. "I have all this power, all this knowledge, and I'm not sure how to use it."

Not anymore.

• Sip
Mable frowned, her dear friend was floundering. Where she excelled in adaptability, he yet struggled. She could be comfortable in her station if she chose to be, her unstable tendencies really only fit the life she was already in. Ein could be so much more, he could change the world if he wanted to.

She brushed his consciousness with a feather light touch, seeking to send the feeling of comfort to him. She was not a physical person, this is how she showed she cared. She had smiled only briefly at the use of her nickname, but it had fallen rapidly.

"We'll figure it out Ein, we'll find a place for you in the world. You're so much better than the guard, too smart for it. Maybe you could teach at the academy, though I've heard of how they changed it. They've become too soft." She was merely musing outloud, though she knew in her heart that Ein was not destined for such a thing.

"I have no doubt you'll do great things Ein." Her joking tone had gone quite serious as she poked at the fire. "Me? I'll always be an attack dog for the guard. There is no other place for me, not anymore."

• Smug
Ein scoffed at the idea of teaching. "No I'd rather step into the nearest river than join saps like Mars."

The Phoenix said with a shake of his head.

In all fairness, it wasn't the worst suggestion. He had always liked some of the underclassmen, treated them with kindness. May had more than once witnessed him protecting some of the weaker ones, though the two of them had never really spoken of it. That odd impulse had always lingered in him though, the need to protect, even if he would deny it.

"It's not the worst life." He said with a shrug. "Being the dog on the leash, at least our kennel isn't too bad."

They did have rooms in the barracks. Nicer than they'd had at the Academy, but paltry compared to what Weiroon had given him of course. God did he miss than Manor house, and everything it came with.

A long breath escaped him. "But...I don't think it's enough for me, May."

He said with a glance to his friend.

• Thoughtful
Mable poked the fire with a stick absently as Ein spoke. They were getting way too close to feelings and she hated it. She hated having feelings that made her seem weak. Ein was the only one that even got relatively close to seeing her internal turmoil. She floundered in her own way. She was different, bloodthirsty and crude. She didn't get along with anyone, they couldn't tolerate her long enough.

"I bet we could wipe the floor with Mars these days though, I'd love to to get back at some of those old proctors." She gave Ein a wolfish grin and broke her stick, throwing it into the fire. " After this mission, I'll help you find what you're searching for. Whatever it is." She waved vaguely at the air as she spoke.

"If it means ditching the guard and traveling you can count me in. Someone has to babysit you after all." She grinned as she teased him. Leaving the guard would be a dangerous thing, and one thing she loved to throw herself at, was danger.

Ein

• Popcorn
A shrug rolled over his shoulders. ”We’ll see.”

There was a path for him somewhere, Ein just wasn’t entirely sure where that would be. The new Republic wasn’t what he had wanted, but there were avenues to his desires there. He just had to seize them.

It would be more difficult, perhaps take more time, but he could get what he desired in the end.

Slowly the Dreadlord leaned back, pulling his bedroll so that he could use it as a pillow. He splayed himself out besides the fire, humming a small tune. He thought about the future, what lay ahead, and the past.

”Mars might still be a challenge, you know.” He mused out loud. ”That prediction magic of his.”

May and Ein had figured out the Proctors gift some years ago, mostly through small tests. ”Some of the others though…”

They would be cinders.

• Smug
Mable smirked as she watched Ein get settled. She didn't fear Mars, she felt confident that even with his magic she was more than a match for him. She had grown in leaps and bounds, and even she knew she hadn't yet reached her limit. "Mars? I think we outclass him now. Wouldn't mind putting it to the test though."

She wouldn't admit it, but she worried for her friend. He was, in fact, the only friend she had. She was violent, unpredictable. People didn't like her. Ein, he was different. He didn't look at her flaws as flaws. The fact that she couldn't help in his uncertainty, it unsettled her.

She mimicked Ein and got comfy. She lazily drew in the air, a shimmer spreading across their camp, invisible to most. A barrier to protect them. Something she could keep up on her sleep. It was one of her least taxing abilities. "I can't wait to be done with this mission. I hate traveling."

• Popcorn
A shrug rolled over his shoulders. "Who knows."

It would have been a lie to say he wasn't curious himself.

Some of the Old Proctors were powerful, some of the newer ones too. There was always an inkling in the back of his head, a small push that shouted for him to just try. It would have been fun to do so, but also likely a death sentence.

Ein wasn't foolish enough to believe himself invincible, even if his nickname was after a creature that could come back from the dead.

"I don't mind it." He said, putting his hands behind his head. "Better than just sitting around back home."

He chuckled. "Better than guarding some noble twit, too."