Completed The War of The Kinniger Duchy

There weren't very many enemies to count, but it surely was not all of them.

Heike stood silently beside Sir Eberwolf as Kyla took the lead on this part, talking to these representatives of Bryn's Ilk. Talking to Bryn herself, as it so turned out. Heike had her hood and her mask up--necessities for travel, but also a conscious choice for this confrontation. She wanted her face mostly obscured. She wanted only her eyes showing, only the unbending iron forged within them visible.

Eberwolf spoke, and that was well enough. But Heike had nothing to say to these vermin. They were beneath the consideration of anything save execution for the wickedness in which they so readily and gleefully engaged. They were people who had long ago forfeited their right to live. And Heike would see to it that these forfeitures were claimed.

With Ferelith given over, now it was up to Kyla--the lead still hers. She knew the most about this place, about these "people." She would know the best avenue by which to approach this delicate task.

Kyla Scathach Sir Eberwolf Kinniger

A lone man walked near the camp, weak, malnourished, weaponless, and the once brilliant white plate that covered his body was now mostly stripped save for the tarnished chest plate. His raven hair was matted and tangled, and the strong features of his face were now almost skeletal.

He inched closer and closer to his lord's camp, he had thought long at what had happened to him, but could only find vague images of the days past in his head. His strongest intact memory was waking up on a hill that overlooked a bog, the one before that was saying he agreed to let that hell cursed weapon help him change his fate.

The days before and after have been nothing but a painful and exhausting excursion of what seemed like day dreams. None the less, he had returned to the fold, and was more than ready to rejoin the other soldiers in defending their home. He Hoped that soon, all of what happened to him would be but memories in the wind, and soon this damned war would be over so he could come home to his wife.

(OOC: this is just me tying up a loose end in this tale. Don't think its the last of crows call, though!
OB-KotN-PelinalPainting.jpg
He still has an oath to keep with Sir Kinniger...)

Kyla turned to leave as the transaction was completed. ”Oh and Kyla..” She stopped turning slightly. “Bring me the masked one. I only need a moment.” She said “unless you would like your sister to enjoy her stay with us slightly less than she already will of course.” She said with a small giggle. Kyla nodded and took Heike by the wrist. “Don’t make this harder than it needs to be I know them trust me.. for her..” Kyla would say.

Whether she resisted or went calmly Kyla would ensure she was brought to Brynn. “I need to see her arm.” She said withdrawing the same device Ferelith used for her suppression a “syringe” as they had been called. This one however seemed empty.

“Just a small blood sample to test and compare. It’ll barely hurt.” Bryn chirped as she moves to withdraw the

Last edited:
Bring me the masked one.

Heike's eyes opened just a touch wider, and she became alert as Bryn's attention had been explicitly directed to her. What was this, then? What in the hell could Bryn possibly want from her? Whatever it was, it would no doubt be some means to a wicked end the likes of which Heike could scarcely imagine.

Then, in a move that brought about a harsh jolt of shock, Kyla actually nodded in compliance to Bryn's spontaneous demand. Nodded. In compliance. To the whim of the enemy, like some kind of lapdog. Heike trusted in Kyla's judgment regarding the surrendering of Ferelith, in that there was apparently no other course of action which had the best and most timely chance for saving Ferelith's life. But this? This was unnecessary. Completely and utterly, by Heike's estimation. They had already done the terrible enough deed of surrendering Ferelith to these monsters, they did not need to dance to each note of Bryn's tune as well.

So Heike, seeing the nod and having a reasonable assumption of what was coming, jerked her arms free and clear such that Kyla grabbed nothing but air. Heike jumped back to create a few paces' worth of distance between herself and Kyla. She widened her stance and raised up her claws in a manner that was unmistakable: she was prepared to defend herself, even if she hated the stark fact that she might have to do so.

"Kyla, Kyla, no," she said quickly, almost in the manner of a plea. "We have done what we came here to do. That and no more. We should leave."

A snap glance of her eyes toward Sir Eberwolf, a slight spreading gesture of her raised claws that conveyed the sentiment of This is crazy, help me out here.

Then her focus was back on Kyla. Vigilant. Several threads of worry twisting themselves into a painful knot within her racing mind. Not the least of which involved Ferelith, whose fate was now in the hands of these fiends.

• Yay
Reactions: Kyla Scathach
“Bryn, we met your demands, now honor your agreement. We are not going to give you anything from Heike or anyone else, our deal has been concluded.” He placed a hand on Kyla’s shoulder, “Don’t be impulsive Kyla,” his grip tightened slightly, in a firm but gentle way, a command. “Leave Heike out of this. The deal has been upheld on our end and she has no right to demand anything else.”

Ge glanced at Kerberos, then back at Kyla, and whispered “she can’t safely demand anything else. Her friends aren’t real threats and she can’t take all of us. We leave, she won’t kill Ferelith, not when they want her alive. Now, we turn around and leave. They won’t be in control much longer.”

“We get what we want one way or another. It makes no difference to me.” Brynn said casually examining her finger nails. “This way Kyla could sit and plot her revenge knowing her sister isn’t in agony.” Kyla tensed.

Cutting a nasty glare at both her companions she took a deep breath. Shaking her self free from the possession of the fear that gripped her mind and dictated her motions. “An offer that I now withdraw.” Brynn continued. Kyla felt the hand on her shoulder. It both supported and constricted her. “So be it.” Kyla said shrugging off Eberwolfs hand and brushing past Heike.

“Kyla! You don’t have to do this. They want us all back..You and Ferelith. It..” The elf called after her. “You made your choice. Live with it.” Kyla called back never turning. “While you can.”

“A threat?” Brynn genuinely laughed. It was as pleasant as her malicious chuckles and giggles.

“The threat of a broken tool holds very little weight with us if you’ll be so forgiving.” Brynn snapped back but Kyla was already gone wether her friends followed or not.
“Always a pleasure to see a dear sister..” She finished turning to the others. “It’s begun.” She said simply as they collectively vanished into the shadows.

Seemed that Sir Eberwolf talked Kyla from it. Good. He may have been (and may be planning still) to consort with a necromancer, but here Heike's judgment and his aligned harmoniously and she was glad for it. Heike relaxed her defensive stance by a small margin once it became clear that Kyla had reconsidered.

A back-and-forth exchange of words between the sisters, and a statement from Bryn that made Heike scoff: an allusion to the forthcoming torture of Ferelith and how it could have been prevented. As if Bryn's word had any worth. As if Bryn wouldn't just simply torture Ferelith anyway, whether she had gotten what she wanted from Heike or not. It was appalling to think about, the absolute lowness and cruelty that those given over to evil were capable of.

Kyla was retreating out of the cave. And so now was Heike, walking backward and keeping eyes on Bryn and her cohorts. Their time would be short, if all went well. Their time would be short and Ferelith would be cured of her ailment.

Backing out of the cave. Backing out of the cave, past the bodies and bones and backing out...

Until they arrived back at the mouth of cave, the fresh air of the outside. And they were well and clear of the presence of their enemies. But Heike did not fully relax her stance just yet.

She shot a glare to Kyla. Throughout all the time they had met and known one another, their interactions had been tumultuous. And this latest infraction, Kyla's attempt to unilaterally decide for Heike what was to be done and to offer her person up without her consent (at the behest of wicked scum, no less) was a step too far. It needed to be addressed.

So Heike did not completely relax her stance yet, no. Kyla was a volatile and violent person when things did not go precisely to her liking--which Heike had tolerated being on the receiving end of multiple times. Naturally, Heike suspected that Kyla might react with a similar flare of aggression to what was about to be said.

But Heike would say it regardless.

"I do not like you, Kyla. I suspect I never will. So if you try something of that manner again with me, I will find out for myself how fast your head can grow back after it is ripped from your shoulders. Do you understand me?"

Still, an appreciable distance Heike kept from the other woman.

Kyla’s eyes widened, her temper flared as Heike said her piece. “That’s what’s on your mind in this instant is it?!” She shot back.

“I could explain my actions. I could give you a thirty minute lecture on why I did what I did and You still wouldn’t understand a damn thing!” She spat back.

“So you want to have it out! Let’s have it out then!” She said stripping off her sword and armor. She stood in only her pants and a chest wrap letting her gauntlets slide off her hands and to the ground.

“Go ahead then! I’ll give you the first shot!” She said approaching and getting so close to Heike that she could almost touch her. “I’ve been waiting for this..” Kyla said with a smirk.

No. No, Kyla did not understand her. She had somehow misconstrued the establishing of a firm boundary into an open invitation for a brutish brawl. And she would be wildly mistaken if she thought that Heike would seriously engage her in such improper conduct (as tempting as it was on a base level to do so). Heike and Sir Eberwolf were the wardens, Kyla their charge. Kyla the criminal, need it be said. It would be the height of foolishness to consent to such ridiculousness as a brawl, between warden and charge, here, now, so close in proximity to their enemy and so far away from civilization.

Heike had put the silver and gold rings back onto her clawed fingers during their journey from the Duchy to the location of Bryn's Ilk. And so she lifted up her hands and her fingers now, in such a way that it bore resemblance to the stance of a hotshot bounty hunter armed with double hand crossbows. Only her expression was deadly serious.

She took two steps back when Kyla approached. Ready to point her fingers for both the shock and the takedown effect.

"You misunderstand me. And you have forgotten your place."

Heike's gaze did not relent.

"Step back. Put. Your armor. Back on. Secure your weapon. And compose yourself. I shall not warn you again."

Kyla had to know that she could not win, Heike thought. Even if she managed to divert the pointing of Heike's fingers and thus avoid the effects of the rings, Eberwolf was still there as well, with rings of his own and bindings able to summoned with a literal snap of his fingers. The last thing Heike and Eberwolf needed right now was a belligerent in their midst--despite Eberwolf's relationship with her. Surely he would place his duty first. Surely.

And if Kyla persisted...Heike and Eberwolf both had execute authority. Short of that, they had the evaluations of her service. And perhaps Kyla did deserve to rot in a prison cell until her death, if this wholly unrepentant manner was the way in which she would conduct herself should she have her freedom back. A cruel and decidedly un-Reikhurstan punishment, prison--but such was the way of Alliria and Elbion.

The choice was Kyla's. Submit to authority, or suffer the consequences.

Kyla’s eyes widened, her temper flared as Heike said her piece. “That’s what’s on your mind in this instant is it?!” She shot back.

“I could explain my actions. I could give you a thirty minute lecture on why I did what I did and You still wouldn’t understand a damn thing!” She spat back.

“So you want to have it out! Let’s have it out then!” She said stripping off her sword and armor. She stood in only her pants and a chest wrap letting her gauntlets slide off her hands and to the ground.

“Go ahead then! I’ll give you the first shot!” She said approaching and getting so close to Heike that she could almost touch her. “I’ve been waiting for this..” Kyla said with a smirk.

No. No, Kyla did not understand her. She had somehow misconstrued the establishing of a firm boundary into an open invitation for a brutish brawl. And she would be wildly mistaken if she thought that Heike would seriously engage her in such improper conduct (as tempting as it was on a base level to do so). Heike and Sir Eberwolf were the wardens, Kyla their charge. Kyla the criminal, need it be said. It would be the height of foolishness to consent to such ridiculousness as a brawl, between warden and charge, here, now, so close in proximity to their enemy and so far away from civilization.

Heike had put the silver and gold rings back onto her clawed fingers during their journey from the Duchy to the location of Bryn's Ilk. And so she lifted up her hands and her fingers now, in such a way that it bore resemblance to the stance of a hotshot bounty hunter armed with double hand crossbows. Only her expression was deadly serious.

She took two steps back when Kyla approached. Ready to point her fingers for both the shock and the takedown effect.

"You misunderstand me. And you have forgotten your place."

Heike's gaze did not relent.

"Step back. Put. Your armor. Back on. Secure your weapon. And compose yourself. I shall not warn you again."

Kyla had to know that she could not win, Heike thought. Even if she managed to divert the pointing of Heike's fingers and thus avoid the effects of the rings, Eberwolf was still there as well, with rings of his own and bindings able to summoned with a literal snap of his fingers. The last thing Heike and Eberwolf needed right now was a belligerent in their midst--despite Eberwolf's relationship with her. Surely he would place his duty first. Surely.

And if Kyla persisted...Heike and Eberwolf both had execute authority. Short of that, they had the evaluations of her service. And perhaps Kyla did deserve to rot in a prison cell until her death, if this wholly unrepentant manner was the way in which she would conduct herself should she have her freedom back. A cruel and decidedly un-Reikhurstan punishment, prison--but such was the way of Alliria and Elbion.

The choice was Kyla's. Submit to authority, or suffer the consequences.

This had gone far enough. A show of division is a show of weakness, and their enemy was still watching them. Kyla could remove her sword, her armor, her gauntlets, heck she could strip naked but there were four steel bands that she could not remove, and it was these four items that were keeping her in line. Not well enough it seems.

He didn’t wait for Heike’s fight to escalate, and he certainly didn’t wait for Kyla to respond. His middle finger struck his palm, and a loud snap resounded in the general area, and Kyla would fall forward on her face, her wrists and ankles all bound together behind her. He marched over to her, put his knee in the small of her back, none too gently grabbed her by the hair and forced her to look him in the eyes. From his belt pouch he removed a broad steel band that she had seen before, the collar.

“You’ve been testing your bonds for too long, and now you go too far. I gave you a warning back at the citadel, one you evidently didn’t heed.” The band snapped closed around her neck, and the enchantments fitted the collar perfectly to it. “Now, are you going to exercise some restraint,” a second snap of his fingers and an ethereal chain ran from the collar to his hand. “Or will I have to exercise it on you?”

His eyes were as cold as ice, not angry, not hateful, but he had no qualms with this, none whatsoever. And not because he now had a partially naked woman on a leash, (though it was hard to push that from his mind ;] ), but because he knew that if he did not she’d keep pressing until eventually she did something too egregious to just pardon, and he’d much rather have her subdued now than do so more severely later.

He would drag her back on a leash if he had to.

• Bless
Reactions: Heike Eisen
“So, the blood sucking parasite wants to threaten-“ She paused as her limbs were forced behind her.

“Let me go! She took my freedom, my sister, and now my pride? You can both go to hell!” She spat struggling against her bonds as she fell to the dirt. She winced as he pulled her up for her eyes to face his. She glared with cold hatred wrought from the surrendering of her sister.

She didn’t know any other way to vent such emotion with out work or violence. And given there was no work to be done a good fight might have taken her down a peg. Now she was simply an expanding force of rage with no where else to expand leavening it to erupt.

“I said let me go..” Kyla growled giving a bitten back whimper and a restrained flinch as the collar was clasped you her neck and her hair was released allowing her to plop her face back to the dirt.

“Let me go! She took my freedom, my sister, and now my pride? You can both go to hell!”

“She did not take your freedom, you turned yourself in. She did not take your sister, Bryn and her new masters did. And no one is responsible for the loss of your pride but you. I understand that you and your sisters lives have been hard, and I sympathize. But you have a chance to clean your slate and get an honest, good life, and you are screwing it up.”
He hissed. He saw the anger in her eyes, and frankly didn’t care. “Heike is one of your keepers, and someone your sister not only trusts but loves, and you’ve threatened her life and wellbeing, and mine, several times. Due to the nature of your experiences I’ve been lenient, but you must learn your place.”

“I said let me go..” Kyla growled giving a bitten back whimper and a restrained flinch as the collar was clasped you her neck and her hair was released allowing her to plop her face back to the dirt.

“I’ll take that as a no.” He snapped his fingers and her legs were released, not her hands and the chain was still in his hands. He pulled her to her feet. He looked at Heike, “If you would please grab her gear for us. She needs to cool off before I can release her.”

He didn’t wait for an answer and pulled Kyla along ahead, a little faster than they had been moving, and when he thought they were out of earshot he sighed and addressed Kyla. “I made you a promise Kyla. I promised you that we’d save your sister. And I will make good on that promise or die trying, you can trust me on that. I know that you’re angry, I know all too well how easy it is to fall prey to one’s own fury, but you can’t take it out on your allies. Believe it or not Heike is on your side, I, am on your side. So please, don’t take your hate out on us, not when we’re trying to help.”

He stopped and looked her square in the eye, his eyes no longer cold, but concerned. “I cannot condone how you assume authority over Heike, I understand that you hate her, but please, for your own sake, at the very least tolerate her. She may not be fond of you either but both of you love Ferelith a great deal, and you both want her safe. So work with her, not against her, and Ferelith will have a higher chance of making it out of there a season intact as possible. So please Kyla, don’t fight your friends.”

He waited for her response. He hoped that he might be able to get through to her

• Cheer
Heike was glad for Sir Eberwolf's intervention. Glad for his calm and measured words, a welcome contrast to Kyla's seething fury. If one statement was true above all others, it was this: that Kyla did have a chance to clean her slate, and that she was--as Eberwolf said--screwing it up. If this were Reikhurst, Kyla's blatant breaching of the terms of her compelled service would have resulted in summary execution.

It truly was an awkward and tenuous situation. For Heike and Eberwolf did to a large degree depend upon Kyla--her inside knowledge--here in the effort to cure and rescue Ferelith. But that pivotal knowledge would be rendered useless if the woman providing it was unreliable, was impulsive, was outright hostile. Ironic, that Kyla could stand to learn something about self-control from her younger sister.

If you would please grab her gear for us...

Heike nodded. Stepped around Kyla and Eberwolf and went to Kyla's discarded armor and sword. Heike, all the way, keeping vigilance on the entrance to the cave and the surrounding wilds. If Heike were Bryn, presumably wanting herself and Eberwolf dead and Kyla captured as well, then she would figure that now was a prime chance to attack. This as a matter of shrewd strategy, to capitalize on the mistakes and current weaknesses of one's enemy. Perhaps Bryn--if she or her Ilk were watching--had hoped that Heike and Kyla would fight; such would have created for them the perfect opportunity.

Heike grabbed and secured Kyla's gear; the length of her fingers and the claws at the end of them--as always--making it more difficult than otherwise. But she brought the gear the few steps over toward the bound Kyla and set it down.

Then she crossed her arms and just watched Kyla with downcast, reproachful eyes. Watched and awaited her response with Eberwolf. Either Eberwolf's words would reach her, or they wouldn't.

And Ferelith's freedom--perhaps even her life--hung in the balance.

She stumbled slightly as she was pulled to her feet a bit faster than she was ready for. “You don’t understand..I thought you of all people..” She said with her rage clearly not being assuage by being jerked half naked by a chain.

She glared at Heike before she closed her eyes and swallowed her rage like a bottle of acid sinking right to her gut.

Her expression went blank and dull allowing her rational side to take control. “Fine. We ready ourselves. We return at night fall.” She said. Her tone an emotionless monotone. Her blaze of red hair fell in messy tangles in front of her face.

The collar pulling the metal band tight Against her skin. This is was a different Kyla. Her cocky, jovial, if not some what cold demeanor was replaced by this soulless husk with all of the ability and usefulness of a tool with about as much personality.

She stumbled slightly as she was pulled to her feet a bit faster than she was ready for. “You don’t understand..I thought you of all people..” She said with her rage clearly not being assuage by being jerked half naked by a chain.

“That I of all people would understand? I do understand Kyla, but that doesn’t mean that I can allow you two to fight. Especially not in front of our enemy.” He said calmly. “It’s quite simple Kyla, they demanded something completely unreasonable, and something that through various Magic’s may very well end up controlling her. We can’t give them any more weapons than they already have, and Bryn saying that it would have prevented Ferelith from suffering is nothing’s short of a blatant lie. I understand that this is beyond difficult, I understand that you’re concerned for your sister first and foremost, and we will get her back, I promised you this, and as I’ve already stated, I will die trying to uphold that promise. Heike would die trying to get her out. Now please, keep your fury under wraps until we put them to siege.” He looked her in the eyes. “If you so wish, you will draw first blood.”

She glared at Heike before she closed her eyes and swallowed her rage like a bottle of acid sinking right to her gut.

Her expression went blank and dull allowing her rational side to take control. “Fine. We ready ourselves. We return at night fall.” She said. Her tone an emotionless monotone. Her blaze of red hair fell in messy tangles in front of her face.

The collar pulling the metal band tight Against her skin. This is was a different Kyla. Her cocky, jovial, if not some what cold demeanor was replaced by this soulless husk with all of the ability and usefulness of a tool with about as much persona

The collar was snug, not tight, enough room for two fingers to squeeze through but snug enough to prevent much moving. Her changed demeanor was disheartening, and Eberwolf felt a twinge of what could be guilt or a desire to give her comforting hug. He was pretty sure it was both. His fingers snapped, the chain disappeared and her hands were freed. “I’m sorry it went this far Kyla, truly I am.”

They made their way back to camp, where they rested up for a short while, readying themselves for the coming mission. A few hours before the sun reached the horizon Eberwolf came to Kyla in her tent, knocking softly on the supporting pole. “May I come in?”

• Yay
Kyla starred at him with cold, dead eyes and said nothing but a slight nod of acknowledgement.

Silence would greet him from the tent. Silence all but the long grinding sound of rock on metal would come from it. As it had sense the tent had been set up and Kyla walked inside.

Her place was home. She was not here to be their friends, to care for them, to fight with them. After seeing Ferelith fall in with these people she had thought her herself could as well. Foolish.

They were her handlers. Not her friends. She was there to do a job. Not get to be chums. She was here to fight Brynn not them. And if it came down to it. She would take her sister and leave them both to rot.

The events had pulled the veil from over her eyes as she saw it. She thought things had changed, but after all the vampires she’d slain and all the time they shared she still might as well be locked up. At least there her sister was safe, some people liked her, and there weren’t two wardens. So she sat silently waiting for night.

Kyla starred at him with cold, dead eyes and said nothing but a slight nod of acknowledgement.

He entered the tent, his helm removed to show his saddened expression. He sat down across from her and was silent for a moment. “Kyla. Please, talk to me. We haven’t sat down and talked since the night we agreed to try a relationship. And I had hoped that, even after what occurred on the mountain, you’d be willing to work with me on it. I’m truly sorry for what happened up there, the confrontation with Heike and especially facing Brynhildr. Please Kyla, if you want to say anything, anything at all, I’m here. Talk to me Kyla, so that I can help you.”

If she were able to read him, she’d see that his concern was genuine. While she was indeed called here for a purpose, she was mistaken if she thought she meant nothing to him. She meant a great deal. He had been with a woman before, but not a woman of his choosing, and while he had loved her and her him, now that she was gone he had been left without a partner. And then Kyla came forward with the possibility of a similar partnership, one that was entirely of their choosing, not arranged. And now he felt that that relationship was in jeopardy, and he’d do everything he could to rescue it, to ensure that his potential lover didn’t hate him.

(So That Heike can be involved, I’ll also be conversing with her, basically call the second halves of my posts to be an hour or so beforehand,)

<——————>
Eberwolf approached Heike. “Heike, May I speak with you?”

• Wonder
She kept to her task as he entered. The whet stone worn to a piece almost to thin to use as sparks sprung from the ruthlessly sharp blade.

She allowed the silence to weigh as she finally allowed the knight his piece. He had earned that much. A part of her ached to allow his words through.

To allow him in. But it was simply not to be. Not now.

“That was the fanciful dreamings of someone unaware of their true place sir knight.” She said calmly. There was no anger in her eyes. No hatred. There was simply nothing. Not a trace of any real feeling.

“Or perhaps I had simply forgotten. Maybe I never truely left the pit I pulled myself out of...” She halted her sharpening for a moment to sheathe the large claymore in its leather sheathe.

Her eyes lingered over the many tick marks hatefully cut into the leather. “..and just made peace with what lived at the bottom..” She finished.

“We have nothing more to discuss.” She said finally. “I would remain here should you deem it fit sir knight.” The monotone in her tone never wavering beyond a cold if not apathetic calm. But there was a sense of intensity still.

The calm of a wolf.

“They had a slight altercation after leaving mistress..I would have engaged but it was resolved fairly quickly.” A female drow knelt in front of Bryn.

“All is well. I’m sure it had the desired effect. Kyla is a sly one, but her greatest asset was always her low profile. An advantage she does not have against me.” Bryn said waveing the girl away dismissively. “All we have to do is awaken the wolf. I think she’s slumbered long enough.” She said almost to herself. Another dark robed person entered her chamber.

A young elf with long white hair. Her blood red eyes adding to the almost regally evil way she moved. A pair of eyeglasses say on her nose framing her eyes like two twin pits of blood drenched hate. “She’s ready.” Was all she said with a bored yawn.

“Give her the final approval. I’m ready to work.” She said with a slightly annoyed twinge to her almost sleepily gentle tone.

“Granted..” Brynn said finally after a moment as the elf nodded and took her leave as well.

• Yay
Heike stood sentinel at the camp, as she was wont to do. Long hours of watchful solitude she often dreaded as being terribly dull when she was alive, but in a strange and certainly unforeseen reversal, he had grown quite accustomed to it in the wake of her affliction. Sleep no longer clawed at her eyes in these dark years, and it felt natural both to do nothing more than simply be in the present moment of vigilance and as well to dwell within her thoughts during nights of relative peace. Herr Dieter Roth would have been proud of that first point, had she the opportunity to speak it aloud to him. Maybe she would. If things went well, maybe she would indeed.

Heike's back was to the retreating sun. Habit, and necessity. A stray beam of sunlight catching the flesh of her face beneath her hood--even in the waning hours of day--would be...unpleasant.

Kyla had kept herself quiet and composed in the intervening hours between their exit from Bryn's cave and at the camp now. And that was good. Vastly preferable to the belligerent Kyla that had (ever since Heike had abandoned her help in the Monster Hunter Fortress) become the norm. A certain level of stoicism, of accepting and taking one's hardships and punishments with collected dignity and an iron grace, was respected in Reikhurst--and so Heike respected the same in Kyla when she finally showed some capacity for it.

She heard some footsteps. Slow and steady. Sir Eberwolf approaching her.

Heike, May I speak with you?

She glanced over to the side at him. Said, "Yes, you may. What is on your mind, Sir Eberwolf?"

Sir Eberwolf Kinniger Kyla Scathach

“That was the fanciful dreamings of someone unaware of their true place sir knight.” She said calmly. There was no anger in her eyes. No hatred. There was simply nothing. Not a trace of any real feeling.

“Or perhaps I had simply forgotten. Maybe I never truely left the pit I pulled myself out of...” She halted her sharpening for a moment to sheathe the large claymore in its leather sheathe.

Her eyes lingered over the many tick marks hatefully cut into the leather. “..and just made peace with what lived at the bottom..” She finished.

“We have nothing more to discuss.” She said finally. “I would remain here should you deem it fit sir knight.” The monotone in her tone never wavering beyond a cold if not apathetic calm. But there was a sense of intensity still.

Her words cut deeper than she could ever do with her sword. He fought back the pain in his chest as she spoke. Fanciful dreamings, she called them. He had hoped that it was serious, and now she was saying that it never could have been to start with. “Everyone has their place Kyla,” He said with a sigh. “I had hoped that it wouldn’t stand in the way of us, but if you truly wish to break it off. It is your decision to make, and my place to respect your choice.”

He looked her in the eyes fighting back the welling pain in his chest, “you say you never left the pit. I say different. You have children now, an honest home, a good life you made for yourself. I call that a far ways to go from your allegorical pit.”

He stood as she basically dismissed him, “you may stay or leave as you wish. I will tell the warden you died in combat, and you may return to your children. They need you more than you need prison, and if you ask me, it seems you need them just as badly.”

He left her and donned his helm as he came out into the camp, hiding the lone tear that had squeezed its way past his calm facade. And he left to prepare.

<——————>
he glanced over to the side at him. Said, "Yes, you may. What is on your mind, Sir Eberwolf?"

“Many things, but only a few of which is what I want to speak with you about. What happened on the mountain was ill timed and could easily have gotten us captured or killed by the enemy. Your feud with Kyla must end. It serves only to divide us and make us more vulnerable, and that cannot happen. Yes Kyla needs to remain in line as far as Alliria is concerned, but your lack of compromise with her is doing just as much damage as her being a loose cannon.” He said to her calmly, “I advise, that in the future you pick your moments of confrontation, what happened on the mountain could have been much more safely handled back here in camp, not on our enemy’s doorstep.”

Just then a group of four men in black cloaks, under which were hard leather chest plates with messers at their sides. They were dragging with them a man, he looked mostly intact but definitely unconscious. “He spied us near their base and we brought him back for questioning.”

“Bring him to the pens, and have our dogs placed around their base. Any who try to leave are to be taken in alive if possible, dead if not.”

The men saluted then dragged him away.

“We have our first source of information. Come with me, we’ll pick up Kyla along the way. It’s time you met our necromancer, and heard of my revised plan for extracting information.”

Ill timed.

Heike at first thought he was speaking of Kyla, and then it became bafflingly clear that he was not. Heike's feud with Kyla? Such a notion was ridiculous to her ears, a feud between a warden and her charge, as if they were equals. Yet even if it could reasonably be called a feud, Eberwolf spoke as if Heike was the one constantly initiating hostilities, as if she wasn't on the defensive in every single case save this most recent (and in Heike's mind, thoroughly justified) example. Lack of compromise with a levied criminal, now that was laughable. Kyla needed to remain in line. Period. That was the end of it, so far as Alliria and Heike were concerned.

Eberwolf's only fair point--in Heike's estimation--was that of Heike potentially waiting until they had arrived back at camp. She could have, yes, but discipline was far more effective when more closely utilized in temporal proximity to the infraction. Yet Heike's true failing here was that she was too lenient before all of this, before Kyla had the gall to assume she'd the authority to offer Heike to the enemy. Had Heike been more stern in the past, this would have never happened. Herr Elias would be shaking his head if he knew Heike had allowed for this, and he would rightly say that it was Heike's fault for permitting orderly discipline to fall into a state of disrepair.

Men were approaching, so Heike hadn't the time to voice all of this. She settled with saying simply: "There was a problem, and I rectified it."

The men delivered their report. And then...

It's time you met our necromancer...

Heike immediately balked. By the Reik crown, he actually intended on consorting with a damned necromancer. With the murderer of his own men, this tragedy so relayed by Sir Eberwolf himself. He intended to consort with this very same necromancer while the memories of his six men cried out for justice. Heike could not think of a worse manner in which Eberwolf could spit upon their graves. Had she allowed herself, during the journey from the Duchy to Bryn's cave, to believe that Eberwolf had truly reconsidered? Was this too more dangerous wishful thinking?

Heike crossed her arms, and gave a disapproving shake of her head. "No, Sir Eberwolf, I do not think it is such a time. I said this to you before and I will say it again now: I will not be party to your dealings with this filth. I wish for Ferelith's well-being and for Bryn and her ilk to receive their due justice, but not at so foul and corrupting a cost as this."

Heike let her arms fall back to her sides, then thumped an earnest palm to her chest and said emphatically, "Sir Eberwolf, I beg you: do not repeat the mistakes of your Duchy. Do not trust the dark and wicked magic of this necromancer. We can do better than this!"

Sir Eberwolf Kinniger Kyla Scathach

• Yay
Reactions: Kyla Scathach
“She’s right.” Kyla said exiting the tent. “Do as you will but unless y-.” Kyla began before there was a loud crunch heard and the man instantly began to foam at the mouth and writhe before slumping and going still.

“-ou pulled out his molars..He will poison himself..” Kyla finished with a toss of her hair and a slightly annoyed sigh.

“I can find you another, but come night fall I think we could attempt a rescue. They would want to start their work quickly. She is most likely healed by now.” Her calm monotone was unbroken through out as her eyes refused to meet either of theirs.

Grateful for the corpse to excuse her lack of eye contact.

• Yay
"No, Sir Eberwolf, I do not think it is such a time. I said this to you before and I will say it again now: I will not be party to your dealings with this filth. I wish for Ferelith's well-being and for Bryn and her ilk to receive their due justice, but not at so foul and corrupting a cost as this."

Heike let her arms fall back to her sides, then thumped an earnest palm to her chest and said emphatically, "Sir Eberwolf, I beg you: do not repeat the mistakes of your Duchy. Do not trust the dark and wicked magic of this necromancer. We can do better than this!"

"Relax Heike, I won't be going through with the original plan. We still need the necromancer, but not for her necromancy. She was quite adept at forcing fear into our minds when we hunted her, it is this that we now require her for. No physical pain, no tampering with his soul, and despite this, a far more effecient way of getting information. I understand your squeamishness with having the necromancer do anything for us, but many people, if not most, have similar view about vampires, and yet here you stand above that. I'm giving her a chance to clean her slate, much like the deal with the Scathach sisters. Does that sit better in your stomach?"

“I can find you another, but come night fall I think we could attempt a rescue. They would want to start their work quickly. She is most likely healed by now.” Her calm monotone was unbroken through out as her eyes refused to meet either of theirs.

Grateful for the corpse to excuse her lack of eye contact.

The sigh showed annoyance, a small emotion but it was there, and he heard it quite clearly. But he wouldn't waste time dwelling on that. "You know our enemy Kyla, so I'm trusting your judgement." He said with a hard voice while looking at the dead man. Then he gestured to the man. "Feed him to the dogs."

He looked to Heike and said, "It appears plans have changed. I suggest you ready yourself for the coming fight. I will do the same."

Without further word he left, but not to his tent, if they were observant they'd see that he was heading almost in the opposite direction. He was going somewhere else.

• Sad
Relax, he said.

The entirety of Eberwolf's tone struck Heike as so nonchalant in regard to the subject matter that it provoked a small ghost of nausea to twist in her stomach. Certainly not sitting better at all.

He was giving the necromancer a chance to clean her slate, compelling her service toward a noble cause instead of a wicked one, and yes, that was something Heike was quite familiar with. But the necromancer's slate was hardly clean, and there was no meaningful effort made in that regard, was there? She was still a necromancer. Still. She clearly had not renounced her foul ways. It would be like if vampirism was a choice, if vampirism could be renounced at any time, and Heike and the other Slaughtern vampires simply not doing so.

Forcing fear into the minds of others. For the love of home and hearth, how did Eberwolf think that she did that?

Perhaps Eberwolf should not have shown Heike clemency. Perhaps he should have listened to Justinian Moore, with whom Heike agreed wholeheartedly in his approach to dealing with the wretched scum of vampires. In dealing with monsters like vampires and sinister magic-users like necromancers, kindness was weakness. And Heike worried that Eberwolf's leniency was going to get him killed one day. If Heike needed to die by his sword to prevent an otherwise good man from falling prey to the deceptions of these monsters, these villains...then so be it. Eberwolf would have been absolutely right to slay Heike on the spot back in the Monster Hunter Fortress, and in her dying moments she would not have faulted him for doing so.

All of this bubbled up in Heike as she considered Eberwolf's response. And, like before when the men had first approached, she had no time to give voice to all of it.

Does that sit better in your stomach?

Heike responded with a single question: "Do the murders of your six men sit better in yours?"

Ready herself for the coming fight. She had, and she would. But she would not fight alongside some necromancer, if that was the implication now that their captive had poisoned himself (and how delightful was that? For these villains to be so eager to dispense justice on themselves. Hah, if they did it enough times, capturing these lackeys and letting them execute themselves, then they could simply walk in and rescue Ferelith without resistance). Eberwolf was going somewhere, that was for certain. If he came back with that repugnant necromancer, then Heike would be left with no choice: only one gut-wrenching option then.

Heike didn't watch Eberwolf go. Didn't spare a glance to Kyla either. She just walked a short distance across the small grounds of the camp and sat down with her back up against a tree, knees up and elbows rested on them. They needed to wait until nightfall, so that was all that could be done.

Heike reached down and grabbed the insignia of the Golden Blade that always dangled from her waist. Stared at it. Turned it around. Looked at the inscription on the back, those tiny and neat words:

Herr Heike Eisen

Citizen and Warrior

Yes. She would stay true.

Kyla looked almost as if she wanted to follow Eberwolf but her eyes hardened and she turned to follow Hieke instead. Not in a friendly fashion but a practical one. The enemy could still attack and she would rather be together than picked off one by one for the sake of brooding.

So she sat at the same tree the vampire chose, but on the other side in a way where if the tree wasn’t there they would be sitting back to back. She saw none of the necklace as she pulled out her knife and began to toss it in the air. Catching it point down between her fingers as Heike had seen Ferelith do countless times in travel when she herself was bored.

“I apologize...” She said after a quiet moment. Deftly continuing to toss the dagger. It was easier to talk to the vampire in this way. No eye contact or direct communication. She could almost pretend she was talking to herself. “My sister is all the family I have left. She has always stayed close and relied on me..The things we did were wrong, but our morals became flexible.” She paused catching the dagger and adding a second dagger to the toss rotation.

“If they had not we would have died. Yours remained strong. Your consistent , brave, and everything my sister wishes she was. She no longer needs me for support. She strays away.. with another..” She let the sentence drop considering her words for a few moments. “I would rather part with my own blade. However she is not a blade. She makes her own decisions..But still..”

“It is not a pleasant feeling...” She let the silence hang further. A memory of what Ferelith had done before their last battle. Speaking to another so that nothing was left unsaid in death.

“Which means that. I don’t have to like you to respect you.. At least until this is sorted. That much I think I finally understand.”

She finished firing the be of the knives into a tree branch disturbing a bird. It flew away with an angered squawk before the second knife pierced it above the neck taking off it’s head.

“You should eat...It isn’t much.” She said pulling out two decently large vials of deep red liquid.

She had kept them for Ferelith but it seemed it would benefit Heike much more at the current time.

Afterwards with her apology spoken she rose and left to retrieve and begin to prepare her own meal. The two vials sitting next to each other where she had been sitting.

Last edited: