Completed The War of The Kinniger Duchy

“There now we can talk.” Kyla said as she glanced at the knight. “I unlike those two am much less complicated. I like strong men like you. Handsome. Bold, and of prime mating age. I’m interested to say the least, but I would know your feelings on the matter. And possibly know more about you.” Kyla said matter of factly staring the knight directly in the eye. The fire reflected from her sparkling green eyes. “I admit my feelings towards you have not always been so cordial, but after seeming your face, and with looming battle...ones resolve to die alone can weaken. I am not stone. And I felt your roving eye. I noticed the approval. Thus a feeling in my chest has been kindled. An interest that I feel should be expressed.” She finished waiting for the knights reply. A flirty smile playing across her features.

The knight was silent for a good few moments, his steak on his plate now momentarily forgotten, and his helm resting beside him. He sighed, no retreat from here, he had to step forward and speak. “In all honesty, I too find myself in a state of profound interest. Though I was skeptical to be sure. I agree that interest need be expressed, and I must say that it was cowardly of me not to come forward sooner. Yes, my gaze, though improper, did, and does, approve of what it shows me. I found myself attracted to you soon before leaving the prison, you show a certain wisdom and sense of honor that I have seen in few others. If we wish to attempt a relationship, then I would be inclined to do so.” He says, a little more slowly and with more effort than he usually speaks. Normally, he’d speak clearly, plainly, logically and without much difficulty. But for some reason he couldn’t speak with such ease then, it was new to him.

• Yay
Reactions: Heike Eisen
Ferelith felt the embrace returned. Then she allowed her head to be tilted back as she held her breath.

Answer awaited.

And answer received in a better way than she could have ever hoped.

A kiss planted on her lips. A deep longing kiss that made up for every thing in that moment.

Her mind was blank as fireworks shot off into the sky of her mind. She heard the whispered words of care but the only ones she held on to were simply “I do.” “Really? As if the kiss wasn’t enough to tell m-” Ferelith began with a sarcastic eyebrow already cocked.

The second kiss shut her up solidly. She struggled for a moment to finish her jib but Heike being the taller of the pair was surprisingly the more dominant.

Pulling her closer and even earning a nervous squeak from the smaller warrior as her hands slid to the back of her head and lower back. The rough and violent Ferelith a surprisingly gentle lover, and the usually reserved Heike the more aggressively passionate.

Laying lightly in her lovers arms her left leg gently rose before she could stop it.

Finally she broke the kiss panting slightly.

“I-Umm..” She said awkwardly staring at the ground kicking loose gravel. She had no idea what to say at this moment. Her usually sharp mind a blank in the aftermath of such an emotional display. Finally she seemed to settle on sitting in the grass next to the wagon. Taking her new lover by the hand she would lead her to sit next to her. Keeping firm grasp of her hand she would glance up at the stars.

“They remind me of your eyes. The way the glow..” She said finally after letting the stillness of the night wash over them and the tide of emotions to level and subside. “Our people have many stories about them. The bow of Leknah, The sword of Kpakney.” She said pointing out a few as she gave Heikes hand a squeeze.

“That one is yours.” She said pointing to what one could almost make out to be a pair of eyes. “Giawah. The hunter. The shadow.” She said with a tone of sarcastic grandeur with playful mischief in her tone. She spared her another kiss on the cheek needing to crawl up her lover slightly to reach.

“Your my Giawah..My Hunter..” She whispered lovingly in Heikes ear before she sat back down and laid her head in the vampires lap.

“Wake me when it’s my watch. We can look for food at dawn.” She said with a smirk making sure she was quiet comfortable and already seeming to decide Heike was her furniture as well as her lover.

“Feelings will not be brought until asked. You are no coward for not coming forward so quickly.” Kyla said brushing aside his excuses. They were nothing to her.

“I do have children. Though of course I have never bore my own my manor is both home to forge and farm as well as three young ones. I take in any willing to work and learn trade. Most are, and I help them to avoid the short comings of my youth having no one willing to tech or offer shelter. This comes before all else so I feel the need to mention it.” Kyla said continuing her look at the knight.

A look of gauging..

A look of longing.

Like he was a piece of meat in a trap she desperately wanted but was scared of what may lay in wait.

“I don’t tell many that. My life has given itself to having many who would seek vengeance on me. The children could be used against me and I will not have that. Mimi is looking after them while I’m...away..” She said quietly. Dropping her gaze she awaited his response. Young rich men like this were not often given to taking in such knowledge and responsibility.

She would be lying if she said she didn’t slightly expect a slight back pedal in response to the revelation of this knowledge.

As he listened he was surprised to hear that she took care of orphans as her own children. She did have some maternal qualities, especially with how she interacted with her sister. He nodded with a look of approval, "such kindness is not something one comes across very often, it is very admirable, and I would do nothing to oppose or jeopardize those children, I give you my word. And if ever a threat becomes perceived, I will not hesitate to thoroughly eliminate such a threat. And I'd be interested in meeting these children, I imagine that, being children, they are quite a handful." He says with a smile. "I have no experience with children myself, but my father has informed me on the kind of troubles that they cause, and how amusing such trouble can be. How many? And what do you teach them?"

• Yay
“Three at the moment. I teach them farming of wheat and growing vegetables as well as farm animal care like I did as a young one. If one enjoys it I teach them further and when they are of age they can take a sum and start a farm. If ones magically gifted we send them to the..college..” she said with some hesitation.

“And if ones gifted in the forge I teach them what I know and help them start a smithy or work for a few black smiths I know when they have need of an apprentice. I see small returns on the farms and smithies for a few years after they start. Then they owe me nothing. Those funds along with what I make as a farmer and black smith myself goes to keeping the manor running legitimately.” She said with a smirk.

“not that it always has but..eggs can not be eaten until they are cracked as they say..” Kyla said honestly. She was impressed at the boldness of the mans gesture even if she put little real faith in it. This was no commentary on the knight so much as and expose of herself. She rarely trusted things said until proven.

That was how she was because she’d seen others. Many others brought to their deaths pierced in the back by the shards of (often her own.) broken oaths.

“I find your maturity surprising. Many do not wish to spend their young years with a single nest to return to after adventure. I do not expect your constant presence. That would be foolish. A man must ride and his blade begs for blood. That is your way. As well as mine.” She said simply. “But if you wish to meet my children, to know them by name. You will be bound to visit them. They care for people easily and I will not have them gnawing my ears to the bone for news of you.” She said with her ever present smirk widening into a good natured smile.

It was wonderful. To allow for herself the bliss of passion, the ephemeral banishing of all her sorrowful burdens and tragic mementos. To shed if but for a heated moment the strong but stifling armor of Herr Heike Eisen, Knight-Valiant of Reikhurst, and to simply be Heike, the woman, the lover, she who wanted nothing more than to be loved in kind.

Every pain was assuaged when her lips touched Ferelith's. Their embrace even allowed for the delightful illusion that Ferelith's warmth, Ferelith's heartbeat, were her own. Here, all the world was set right.

But the parting came. Inevitable.

Still, Heike was overjoyed. And like Ferelith, she panted slightly as well--as if her body was holding true to the rhythm of love it once knew, when such breaths were necessary.

I-Umm..

Heike smiled, completely endeared; Ferelith almost seemed a different person here, when compared to their first encounter back in Rennegast's tower. Yet there had been hints of this tenderness, this girlish nervousness, underneath the rough and confident exterior she had shown and against which Heike had fought. And she would not be Ferelith without both, and it was both of these facets which attracted Heike so strongly to her.

She brushed Ferelith's cheek with the back of her hand. Letting her know that nothing need be said.

And, eventually, they each sat down beside one another next to the cart at the periphery of the camp. Heike was perfectly content to sit there, and simply be with Ferelith. She gazed at the stars, Ferelith did. Gazed and recalled the stories that her own people had for them.

Your my Giawah..My Hunter..

"It fits," Heike said. She kissed her back on the cheek before she laid her head down on Heike's lap. A hand placed on Ferelith's head then--exceedingly careful with her claws--and gentle strokes of her blonde hair.

It seemed as if her smile could not fade. This, as she looked down at Ferelith and said softly, "Sleep well. I will be here...and it will bring me such joy to be the first sight you see, upon waking."

And Heike sat. Listened to the sounds of the night woods and listening to the slowing of Ferelith's breaths as she drifted away to dream.

All the concerns of the waking world waited patiently for their time to march into the forefront of Heike's mind again. Yet Heike retained enough of the bliss from their affirmation of love for one another that she could, after five nightmarish years of affliction, have for herself one night of peace.

Together.

With her.

Ferelith Scathach Sir Eberwolf Kinniger

• Love
Reactions: Ferelith Scathach
“Three at the moment. I teach them farming of wheat and growing vegetables as well as farm animal care like I did as a young one. If one enjoys it I teach them further and when they are of age they can take a sum and start a farm. If ones magically gifted we send them to the..college..” she said with some hesitation.

“And if ones gifted in the forge I teach them what I know and help them start a smithy or work for a few black smiths I know when they have need of an apprentice. I see small returns on the farms and smithies for a few years after they start. Then they owe me nothing. Those funds along with what I make as a farmer and black smith myself goes to keeping the manor running legitimately.” She said with a smirk.

“not that it always has but..eggs can not be eaten until they are cracked as they say..” Kyla said honestly. She was impressed at the boldness of the mans gesture even if she put little real faith in it. This was no commentary on the knight so much as and expose of herself. She rarely trusted things said until proven.

That was how she was because she’d seen others. Many others brought to their deaths pierced in the back by the shards of (often her own.) broken oaths.

“I find your maturity surprising. Many do not wish to spend their young years with a single nest to return to after adventure. I do not expect your constant presence. That would be foolish. A man must ride and his blade begs for blood. That is your way. As well as mine.” She said simply. “But if you wish to meet my children, to know them by name. You will be bound to visit them. They care for people easily and I will not have them gnawing my ears to the bone for news of you.” She said with her ever present smirk widening into a good natured smile.

When she mentioned his “impressive maturity” he smiled with a shrug, “just as you said earlier, one’s resolve to die alone were your words, in my case, one’s resolve to remain in a lifetime of fighting. I have been involved in war since I was sixteen, and I can only hope to escape such violence before said violence becomes me. I’ve had plenty of adventure, Thunder has carried me far, and my sword has drowned in blood, I have no desire for more. As far as meeting your children goes, they sound delightful and troublesome. And you teach them things that will carry them far. I have little doubt that your teachings will bring them success. Speaking of teaching, a mother such as yourself, on your own, must know how to cook. Perhaps you could teach me? I know only one dish regrettably.”

She would find herself not near disappointed, as to Eberwolf (Pronounced Ebërvulf) his word was his life. He kept his word at the expense of his own life, no matter how gruesome his fate may be. She could trust him.

It was then that he noticed the two lovebirds by the wagon, and he turned his eyes away, banishing anything of similar form from his mind. “How long have you had them with you?”

• Yay
Ferelith has restless dreams.

The deceptively calm beginning of her slumber was short lived and ended abruptly.

She heard the chanting.

Felt the sand under her feet.

Sweat drenched her body and forehead.

“Ferelithh please don’t...”
The words pierced her heart like rusty blades. Just as they had the day they were spoken to her. The boy before her lay on the ground. Gashed on his sword hands wrist.

Another slice to his right knee left him bleeding, crippled...defenseless..

“BLOOD! BLOOD! BLOOD!” The crowd chanted. She knew what had to be done. “Josai..” her bottom lip trembled as she saw the blood pooling around her friend. Crumpled into a heap by her hand. Tears streamed down her face.

“WE SAID BLOOD!” One from the crowd screeched. A rock was thrown hitting Ferelith in the shoulder as the crowd became restless and unruly with their demands not met promptly.

“Ferelith..” Her blade rose.

“BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD!”

“Ple-“ his cry was silenced as she cut off his head with a clean stroke.

The blade even cutting off the top half of the fingers of his outstretched hand.

The crowd cheered.

She looked at the ugly jeering sneers of the crowd in utter emotional agony.

“You killed me..Ferelith..” She heard it. She didn’t even look at her friends corpse to know it was talking to her. It always did when her dreams brought her to this place.

“I..I know, but it was...They..They would have killed us both!” She choked out.

Staring at the ground as blood began to pool around her feet. It began to slowly fill the arena as the crowd faded to nothing.

Only darkness was with her now..and the steadily pooling blood slowly creeping to her ankles.

“No..nononono..Leave me alone!” She said moving to turn around Only to slip and fall into the blood. It covered her as she thrashed about trying to regain her footing. “I might have lived..

You could have taken the fall, but no.

“How long will you let those with good souls cushion your falls? How many more should die? You don’t just have my blood on your hands..” The twisted voice of her friend was all around her.

“Your covered in it...How long until your new lover finds herself on the chopping block eh?” The voice continued.

“No..No please..” Sie whimpered as more voices joined her old friends.

So many. “Let me die.” “Stabbed me in the back.” “Cut throat!” “Whore!” “Freak!” “MURDERER!” “No!” Fereliths eyes would snap open as she reached for her knife.

A cold sweat plastering her hair to her head she would spring up and forward to all fours searching frantically for danger.

“I’m..he..huh..” She panted.

Kyla gave him an approving look. Of course while her trust wasn’t so easily earned he had her attention at any rate.

“Four years. They came to me at different times but together.. four years.” She said with a smirk. Pulling out her glasses she would slip them on and pull a book from her pack.

“Potion Counterfeiting: How to fake it until you can properly make it!” She yawned and glanced at the knight. Seeming to ponder his request.

“I suppose. Possibly after this business has been handled and my time served..We could learn a few dishes if you decide to come my way..” She said in a velvety tone. Turning she would scoot closer. Resting her back on Eberwolfs shoulder and side. She sat letting the moments pass in silence.

Absorbing the information written in the book and enjoying the feeling of having a shoulder to both literally and physically lean on. Not all relationships required much talk after all and Kyla seemed the type to simply enjoy another’s presence than a voice in her ear. After some time passed she stashed her book with a yawn.

“Well I’m turning in. I’m sure I’ll have to help that blonde little pipsqueak and her new blood sucking lover some food tomorrow.” She said with a good natured sigh. “Good night sir knight..I’ll see you in the morning..” She said with a wink. Taking his hand and giving it a squeeze she smiled as she then lay by the fire and slowly drifted off into sleep.

He did nothing to break the silence once they had settled into it. He stayed upright as she leaned on him, and found her presence comforting somehow. He didn’t think that she could possibly find an armored shoulder comfortable to lean on, but he wasn’t going to complain. It seemed that he and Heike were the ones to stay watchful tonight, he didn’t mind that in the slightest, his recent befriending of the woman next to him having been a bit more energizing than he had thought it would be.

When she squeezed his hand, he wasn’t sure whether he was glad to be wearing gauntlets or if he wished he wasn’t. But the message came across clearly and he didn’t complain. He wished her good night, and remained watchful of the surrounding hills and forest until morning.

Dawn would come with no incident. The brightening herald of blue to the east, warming to orange, and the first upward rays of sunlight filtered through the leaves of the branches hanging overhead. To Heike, the receding darkness of night brought color back to her world, as her grayscale nightvision adjusted gradually to normal sight.

How she used to enjoy them. Sunrises. Now she couldn't dare to look at them. The rising sun was to her right, and she had pulled up her mask and her hood once more to guard herself against the daylight directly striking her flesh. This was the way the world worked for her now, and she knew very well how it had come to pass.

Vampires. Those who destroyed Reikhurst then, those who imperiled the Duchy now, it made little difference to Heike. They were monsters. And it would suit her well to tear out the throats of these fiends, to satiate her (unknightly, she confessed) desire for revenge. Deep down, she knew the flailing futility this desire would have her engage in, this revenge--even if it was not vicarious, even if it was truly against the Slaughtern vampires responsible for the sacking of her city--lacking the power to bring about what it was that she truly wanted: the restoration of Reikhurst, her Order of Knights, her home, her people.

But it would do one thing, and one thing very well. It would remove some number of these scum from the face of Arethil. And this, if nothing else, she would be satisfied with.

Ferelith stirred. Started. Sprang up then. Heike's eyes bolted open in surprise, stayed open from concern, but relaxed when it seemed the suppression was still in effect on her--the dawn's light striking her skin harmlessly. As it should be.

Heike halfway reached out a hand toward her.

"Ferelith! Ferelith. You're alright...I am here. Everything is fine."

Then she reached all the way and placed the hand on Ferelith's shoulder. Scooted closer as she sat on the ground and lightly embraced her again. That warmth of her body providing in tandem a joy of comfort and a sorrow that Heike had none of her own to share.

"You're alright," she said again, her voice now closer to Ferelith's ear.

Ferelith Scathach Sir Eberwolf Kinniger

“I didn’t mean to..I didn’t mean to..” Ferelith pleaded with Heike still not seemingly not fully to her senses.

She flinched at her touch and almost pulled away but Heike being the stronger of the two now was having none of it. Scooting and pulling her close. She struggled but calmed at her voice once more relaxing in her arms and closing her eyes u til her breathing calmed. “None of this is told to my sister..please love?” She asked with a small blush at her own behavior. Big bad mercenary cut throat shaken up because if a bad dream? Pathetic. It made her want to kick her own ass but she couldn’t bear her sister knowing as much as well.

She would reach up and stroke Heikes cheek cupping it with he hand and just staring into her lovers eyes with a warm smile. “I never thought I’d be waking up to you holding me in your arms. but Don’t start getting all lovey dovey on me now people might talk..” She said in a mocked hush tone

Kyla has risen before dawn.

She moved quietly with the grace and silence of a true predator. These early morning hunts always made her heart thunder. She felt home here in this environment.

Just a hunting knife and a bow and arrow.

Nothing else.

It was something she had missed desperately being locked up. Just after dawn broke she was panting and covered with blood. Some hers (the injuries healed and blood remaining.) and most belonging to the full grown brown bear she drug behind her. With her super natural strength suppressed she thanked the gods she was still in good shape.

The work in the forge had saved her truly. Her keen ears perked up at her sisters voice. “Hmph..” She shrugged. Her sister wished something kept from her? As if Kyla didn’t know her sister had night terrors. She wasn’t one to talk about such things, but to think Ferelith didn’t realize she had been waking up Kyla in the middle of the night most of her life was laughable to the older sister.

But what did trouble her was the fact they had returned. In the past they had been bad, but recently they had been in decline. At least Ferelith had said they had been..Why were they beginning to return now? And why was she not to know of it? She shrugged and resumed her dragging finally making it to the wagon.

“Sorry if I’m interrupting anything, but I got into a little spat with this big guy over who really killed a deer. He had already eaten half of it when I got there but after a little talk he agreed I could just have him instead.” Kyla said giving the dead animals bloody neck a squeeze with enough force to pop out a eyeball. “Ha look at you mak je sera..!” She said with a chuckle at her sisters gory antics.

“Bear slayer..It’s a legend..” Ferelith whispered to Heike. “If we are to be lovers I’ll teach you a little. At least enough to know when Kyla’s swearing at you..ok?” She said giving her a peck on the forehead. Her eyes lighting up as she rose from Heikes grasp and rushed to her sister. “Bear meat sister...It’s been so long..” She said longingly. “Well you can try and eat it with the suppression in place..but if you start puking blood and weird shit again your cut off.” Kyla said tossing her sister a skinning knife from her pack and grabbing one herself. “Go get Eberwolf would you?” Kyla asked Heike with a side glance. “I would like to speak with my sister.” She said in a tone that made Ferelith pale slightly. She gave Heike a look of terror like a child caught misbehaving with a friend and pleading with said friend not to leave because punishment would follow their departure. “M-maybe I should go get the knight..” Ferelith said beginning to hand the knife to Heike. “Perfect!” Kyla said with a warm smile that didn’t reach her eyes. Ferelith paled twice over realizing what she had done. “I-I mean actually..” She stuttered trying time reverse her mistake. “No no.” Kyla said waving her off. “Go to the knight.” She threw her arm around Heike. Her smile never wavering. “If she is to be your lover she should know of our peoples ways. She is your hunter is she not? Now go.” Kyla said. Her good natured smile and grip around Heike tightening fiercely as she said the last part like a sharp command. Ferelith gave Heike one more apologetic glance before running off like a scalded cat at her sisters bark.

“Now.”

Heike would find herself shoved to the wagon wall the point of the skinning knife buried itself next to her left cheek.

Her right shoulder pushed against the wall with strength still great even after its suppression.

“What game are you playing with my sister.” She said dangerously close to Heikes face. So close their noses almost touched. “She’s different...She acts strangely. Did your bite make her your servant. Have you put her under some spell?” She questioned aggressively.

Her words were rough but under her cold glare there was a small glimmer of fear in her eyes. She was more of a worried sister being overly protective of her younger and less a mercenary threatenI gotta her handler.

This was personal.

Last edited:
  • Dwarf
Eberwolf had stayed watchful until dawn. He had told Kyla to be cautious during her hunt, but did not try to stop her. He had begun to tend Thunder in preparation for the last leg of their journey. He added the bridle and the tethers for keeping the wagon to the massive warhorse. The white steed was quite unhappy with this arrangement, as he had been for the entirety of the trip, but did not resist. Such a loyal beast.

When Ferelith came to him with such an expression as she wore he knew something was wrong. He immediately dropped what he was doing and rushed to the wagon where Kyla had Heike pinned, with a skinning knife practically on Heike's face. Eberwolf bellowed, "Kyla! Release her!"

Eberwolf, despite his interest in Kyla, still had a promise to keep to Broke, until she released him of his vow. And he would not hesitate to activate Kyla's bonds should the need arise. The bear carcass was noticed but ignored, though he had no doubt that Kyla had felled it with strength. Even so, in the eyes of the law and the order of the lands, Kyla Scathach was still a prisoner, a willing conscript, and so he should not be unwilling or hesitant to pull rank.

• Bless
Heike blinked when Ferelith said not to mention her fitful waking to Kyla. She appeared somewhat bashful about having a nightmare, Ferelith did, and Heike only partially followed. Perhaps it was that she wanted to appear cool and unaffected, thinking this lent credence to her maturity in the eyes of her elder sister. But Heike didn't see how nightmares detracted from this. Herr Elias Schulze often did not sleep easily, and Heike herself found out why the first time she had ever been made to kill someone in battle; she had plentiful nightmares all her own for the weeks to follow.

And worse, the burning of Reikhurst, the massacre of her people, still came on occasion to visit terror upon her.

But Heike nodded. Said, "Not of my own volition." She would not bring it up unless directly asked, and, unfortunately in such a case, she would be Oathbound to speak the truth.

Ferelith calmed though, and Heike was glad to see it. Gladder still to feel her hand on her cheek, the warmth therein. Her humor had come back, despite the troublesome dream.

Heike smiled back. Carefully placed her palm over the back of Ferelith's hand that touched her face. Said warmly, "Then they shall talk."

Meddlesome thoughts of what would happen once this was over, once the vampiric army threatening the Duchy had been eradicated and Ferelith and Kyla had to be escorted back to the Allirian Prison, were held at bay in Heike's mind. She didn't know what she would do or how she would handle it, but these were concerns for the future, for the metaphorical bridge yet to be crossed. Here, now, only this wonderful present.

* * * * *​

Kyla had come back to camp then. Dragging a bear. If there was any solid evidence that the month's time investment was well spent, that served quite fittingly in such a regard. Perhaps before it was all done, Kyla would be dragging the corpse of a vampire lord out into the streets to the roaring applause of Kinniger citizens and warriors alike--Heike would like to see that very much.

Bear Slayer, Ferelith translated.

"Apt," Heike said back to Ferelith, clearly impressed by her sister's handiwork. "Very apt. And I would love to learn..." A tiny smirk, "even if some of it will be uncouth."

Heike stood as well when Ferelith went to her sister. Slowly followed, her arms folded across her chest, her claws dangling down by her sides. Then, what should have been a genial exchange between the two sisters became...a tense one between Heike and Kyla. Heike's brow narrowed when Kyla tossed an arm about her shoulders--an uncharacteristic gesture of her. It tightened, and Heike's body stiffened. Preparing for the worst as Herr Elias's wise words--echoing from her squiring and more recently in Rennegast's tower to now--entered her mind. She surreptitiously readied the two fingers of her left hand (one of which bearing the silver ring) for a possible takedown.

In a blur Heike was shoved back. A knife plunged into the wood beside her face. Sir Eberwolf rushing forward and demanding Kyla release her.

Heike herself had her two fingers up to the level of her ear and pointed skyward, askew from being pointed directly at Kyla but with a slight descent of angle they would be, and the effectiveness of the ring would be seen. She didn't do it. Not yet. Like a hand on the hilt of a sword, the suggestion was well enough for the moment.

Heike's face became stern steel, as did her voice. "I am playing no game with your sister, nor has my bite enthralled her, nor have I employed some spell upon her. Ferelith is her own woman, Kyla. And I say that it is high time for you respect that."

If Kyla found this insufficient, it might be that Sir Eberwolf could persuade her. If she found that insufficient, then the ring and the summonable bindings would by necessity make her come around.

Sir Eberwolf Kinniger Ferelith Scathach

“Kyla! Stop it!” Fereliths eyes widened as she saw what was taking place. She rushed past the knight before a command left his lips. Throwing her full weight into the charge she brought her sister to the ground heavily with a spearing tackle.

“Get off me!” Kyla growled shoving her sister off and launching her into the air slightly. She landed on her butt a foot away. The blonde mercenary standing as her sister did as well. The taller of the pair flared down at the shorter. Older looking to younger. “I’m protecting you! I’m supposed to believe that you fell in love with this thing?” She said gesturing to Heike with genuine consternation on her face.

“This monster that cursed you for eternity? Gunhild..You have no place in Tir na..She ribbed you of eternal rest with our parents..”

“Stop it..” Ferelith said. Her tattoo growing darker slightly as her eyes squeezed shut. “You direct this anger at me? The truth speaker? You stupid li verma.” Kyla spat back.

“You think you can have something with this leech. Your her prisoner. She’ll keep you happy and feeling loved while you slaughter her enemies sure. It is to her benefit. Are you so blind you can’t see this? She’s throwing you back in a cell at the end of this. You know this correct?” Kyla said coldly as Fereliths eyes squeezed tighter and her fists clenched.

“There is no fairy tale ending like mother sang to us. No sun set. No castle. Just a cold cell if you aren’t slaughtered in this stupid mission. There is no love. Only a handlers affection for their war dog. And when you complete your task you get a pat in the head, a leg of lamb and a nice kiss on the-“ Kyla never got to finish her rant as Ferelith cut her off with a lunging punch.

Her fist smashing into the elder sisters chin like a rock slung from a sling. Kyla stumbles back slightly. Shock showing plainly on her face. Having come out unscathed in every confrontation with her sister it spoke to how truly unexpected the blow was. She wiped the blood from her nose as her sister lunged again tackling her to the ground and mounting her sister raining blows.

“I don’t need your truth! I don’t care what she’s done to me. I have done worse to others! She is Kind! Gentle! And her eyes do not look down on me in judgement! She’s here Kyla!” The blows stopped as Fereliths shoulders began to shake.

“She’s here..” tears began to fall from her face as fell forwards into her sisters arms.

“They are all gone Kyla.. Jaci..Gwendolyn..Mikala..I cant live alone anymore.. I know what the future holds for me..Just for one moment can others be happy with out you trying to make them as miserable and bitter as you?” She said between sobs. Her words were not cutting in tone but Kyla’s expression softened after a slight grimace of emotional pain.

Her face beaten so badly it was hard to tell what expression she was making until it healed. Her face slowly remolding back to its usual beauty.

“I don’t understand your love for this thing..but if it makes you happy..” Kyla began before Ferelith cocked back another punch and shook her head. A tearful glare blasting holes through her sister.

“She is a person. My lover and you will refer to her as Heike, or she. If you call her a thing one more time I won’t hesitate. Got it?” She growled as Kyla smiled with a slight nod.

“Fine..Fine..Now that that’s out of the way..” Kyla said with a nod she suddenly rose with ease reversing her perilous positioning with one that was extremely advantageous. Ferelith squeaked as she suddenly found her self in a shoulder lock.

Kyla could have reversed the fight at any time and hadn’t it seemed.

“Gek nah! Gek nah! I submit!” Ferelith gasped struggling to no avail as her sister realeased the hold and helped her sister up.

“Sorry for the theatrics.. I had to be sure you understood and were not blinded by curse, willful ignorance or fleeting love.” Kyla said with a smirk. “When have you known me to love at all sister?” Ferelith said with a returning smirk as Kyla looked to the knight and vampire. “Had to be sure..Besides she needs to fight more. So short and little.”

“Watch it!” A rock bounced of her shoulder lightly.

“However.. if she truely does care for you like she says.. I apal o gise? Appologez?” She looked to Ferelith.

“Apologize.” Ferelith said with a roll of her eyes.

“Right..” Kyla said with a nod. “That. I do that. Our people have no word for such a thing. The idea of having a word to submissively admit fault was never considered in our culture..So I never learned it’s counterpart when I learned common. Fereliths better with the mud brain languages.”

“I said watch it! I will fight you again!” Ferelith said huffily walking over and standing next to Heike. “And you will hobble away from the encounter little Gunhild.” She said with a wink.

“In any case.” She said ducking a swipe from Ferelith and scooping Heike off of her feet by the waist. This embrace was much warmer and gentler than before as Kyla spun her for a moment.

“Welcome to family little Heike. ” She said with a grin releasing her to land in Fereliths arms. Ferelith blushed but held her for a moment before righting her on her feet keeping her arm around her waist.

“Can we go now sister or are you still playing your mental games to stir my anger?” Ferelith said with a raised eyebrow.

“Fine, fine. Let us skin this animal and then it’s off to our collective dooms.” Kyla said pulling her knife free of the wagon and Ferelith retrieved her own.

Eberwolf was but moments away from activating both of their bonds and loading them into the wagon whilst they were immobilized. But the situation was resolved, and the fight ended. Heike was even made a new member of the Scathach family, officially or unofficially. Eberwolf stood on the sidelines, unsure of how to feel about this. So he simply didn't think about it. He began to get Thunder hitched up to the wagon and prepared for departure. Once the bear was skinned and some of its meat cooked, the process of doing so intently observed by Eberwolf, they would begin the last leg of the journey before they arrived at Kinniger Castle.

(Noon)

The sun was at its peak when they entered the gates of the citadel. A massive fortress of adamantine strength and vast walls. There were three gates, each a thick and heavy portcullis, and three progressively taller and thicker walls. Stop these walls were mounted ballistae, and all over the walls were archers. At the ground level there were foot soldiers, all armed with halberds and one handed messed swords with Buckler's slipped over the handles. All were wearing uniform partial plate, the rest being mail.

proxy.php

"Welcome friends to Castle Kinniger. The dwelling place of Duke Remmond Kinniger. This is one of the mightiest holds in the Duchy, and by far the safest. I will bring you to the Duke, and give him my report. We will likely stay the night here before continuing on to the battlefront."

Heike had come so close to using the ring to takedown Kyla. Takedown, shock, or bind her, or perhaps even all three. But with noted (and as Herr Elias might say, dangerous) deference to Ferelith, Heike stayed her hand.

Stayed even when--infuriatingly--Kyla had the gall to pick her up as if she were some child's ragdoll and toss her. It was nothing short of an utter belittling of not only Heike's station as a knight, but both her and Sir Eberwolf's authority over her; for if Kyla was comfortable enough--daring enough--to put her hands on Heike in such a manner (not even to mention the overt aggression previously shown) then the next infraction would be more daring still. Next time, the knife would not be plunged into the wagon, but instead into Heike's, or Sir Eberwolf's, skull.

Lack of discipline was like a hairline crack in the foundation of a building, Herr Dieter Roth had once said. A perilous imperfection, threatening to weaken the entirety of the structure until it became weak enough to collapse. Heike and Sir Eberwolf could not allow such a thing to happen, for they the two of them were responsible for Kyla and Ferelith, and should a rebellion against their authority occur and render them incapacitated or perhaps even dead, the atrocities Kyla and Ferelith might possibly go on to commit against the innocent of Arethil would rest solely on their shoulders. And thus Heike and Sir Eberwolf's honor would be tarnished, even in death.

Order, the proper way of things, could not be undermined. Period.

Though Heike, against the hollering advice from the voices of Herr Elias and Herr Dieter, stayed her correcting hand this time, she knew she would have to bring it down twice as hard should Kyla (or even Ferelith) step out of line again. And despite her love for Ferelith, she could not afford to hold back. Indeed, she could not allow her love to produce a hairline crack in the foundation of her morals, her values, her sense of right and wrong and order, for if she allowed for this then she would no longer be the Heike that Ferelith so loved. Therefore, preservation of her integrity took precedence over any emotions which would grate against it.

So Heike displayed nothing but hard objection in her expression, even as Kyla had said Welcome to the family.

Mentally, she prepared herself to do just (and awful) things to Kyla. To Ferelith, perhaps, should it come to it. To kill one or both of them, if necessary, for such was well within her purview.

Order could not be undermined.

* * * * *​

Heike calmed by the time they all reached Castle Kinniger. Hot steel cooled, yet it remained steel. Ready to used if necessary.

An impressive sight, the Castle, and no mistake. It left nothing to the imagination as to why it still stood while the vampiric army savaged the remaining countryside of the Duchy. A brief memory of the King's Citadel in Reikhurst, how it used to provide Heike with a sense of security and safety when she was a little girl. An acknowledgement now of how wrong she had been.

Heike had the hood of her coat up, as she did her mask, to shield herself from the noontime sun. A worry, creeping into her mind then, that if they were to fight during the day...under the glare of the sun...that Heike would be at an extreme disadvantage. The same or similar disadvantage, presumably, as the vampires against whom they would fight.

She said to Eberwolf, "I hope we will be well met then, your Duke and I."

A concerned glance over to Ferelith. Then, back to Eberwolf.

"Does Duke Remmond know about...myself? About Ferelith? That we are what we are?"

Ferelith sat next to Heike leaning against her shoulder lightly. She felt the tension radiating between Kyla and her lover so she simply sat silently and allowed her to cool.

She understood the perilous position her sister put Heike in and she had a strong feeling her sister did as well. Kyla...Everything was a game with her. Another lie wrapped in a half truth served with a side of misdirection.

That’s how she always was.

Despite her friendly words Ferelith doubted this was over. Kyla didn’t approve of her sister being stolen away by someone she thought unfit.

This was not over by any stretch.

She gasped slightly at the sight of the massive fortress and all of its defensive measures. Catching her self with a glance at Heike she turned her gasp into a sigh ending with a snort.

“I thought it’d be bigger.” Ferelith said glancing around and chucking a stone at one of the gargoyles that leered over the ramparts at them. It hit the thing right on the nose. It’s beautifully carved features cracking and crumpling to nothing as half it’s face fell away. Ferelith paled and glanced around to see who had caught her blunder hiding behind Heike slightly.

“Well met right..I assumed you already had told him our condition...” She said tensing slightly with a nervous glance around at the guards around them as they rolled to a stop at their destination.

• Yay
Well met right..I assumed you already had told him our condition...” She said tensing slightly with a nervous glance around at the guards around them as they rolled to a stop at their destination.

"Does Duke Remmond know about...myself? About Ferelith? That we are what we are?"

“I have sent word but it’s impossible to know if he’s read the letters, the time it takes to get here coupled with the amount of letters and reports he already has to sort through, we won’t know how knowledgeable about your condition he is until we speak with him. But don’t worry, he may be quick to think and decide but he isn’t not hasty or rash in his decisions. We will have time to explain.”

The aforementioned gargoyle wasn’t the traditional kind, instead, it was a three headed dog. When Ferelith smashed it he sighed, the guards were certain to notice this, as most of them were watching them come in, and when the Duke got word, steps would be taken. Because of their current predicament, vandalism or insubordination or a lack of discipline wasn’t tolerated and was “strongly discouraged”, Eberwolf himself might have to deal out the punishment.

But that was a matter to be settled later. They rode in, and after leaving the cart and Thunder in the stables. The group would go into the citadel past another portcullis and two more gates all together, a strong defense indeed. Inside it was nothing but bare stone, heavy oak doors and sconces for torches. They would find numerous guards all across the citadel. They would pass the barracks and the armorer, both busy with training and the forging of weapons and armor. Before too much longer, they came to the courtchamber, where the Duke, clad in full plate, stood over a table littered with letters, a map, a quill and an inkwell.

• Bless
Remmond was not happy. The vampires hadn’t taken the upper hand and his son Eberwolf had been gone too long. And now, he had brought vampires into the castle. He did know that his son wouldn’t bring them in unless he knew that they weren’t a threat, but he wasn’t going to be taking any chances. If Eberwolf provided no good evidence or reasoning, the vampires would die.

“You have thirty seconds to explain this boy.” Remmond says evenly, hiding his fury very well, while making it clearly visible at the same time. “Or your new friends will find themselves missing their heads.”

His eyes looked at Kyla with mistrust and caution. He had received word of this woman’s who had wrestled a bear from his rangers, though she may exceed him in strength, the way she carried herself showed careless hubris, something he would exploit to it’s fullest should she prove herself an enemy.

Given what had happened previously in the morning, Heike had to address Ferelith's disorderly carelessness. It may well have not been her intention to actually damage the gargoyle statue, but merely to engage some small mildly playful amusement--in the way of an idle child absentmindedly throwing stones for little more than the meager fun of throwing them. Yet it did not matter. Foremost because they were guests, Heike and Ferelith and Kyla alike. Traveling as they were in a party, the actions of one were a reflection upon all of them.

Heike twisted her torso about and snatched for Ferelith's wrist. Hissed quietly, "Ferelith! Keep. Yourself. In line."

A gaze both firm and beseeching. Heike didn't wish for further punishment to be imposed on the woman she loved, but she would in deference to Justice have to allow for it. Sir Eberwolf merely sighed when it happened, but it was unlikely that this would be the end of the matter--however trivial it might seem in comparison to the larger concern of the vampiric army ravaging the Duchy.

But into the Citadel they went.

* * * * *​

Duke Remmond Kinniger. Sir Eberwolf led them through the stark stone confines of the Citadel to his courtchamber and up to his table--a table which readily suggested the busyness and responsibility the man found himself burdened with.

He did not exhibit the flaring rage or hatred that most people did upon seeing Heike, discovering what she truly was. But his words were terse and his tone that of a man who did not suffer fools. He was the kind of man that Heike respected greatly; very much like the Lord Commander of the Golden Blade, while he was still alive.

Heike's body went straight and rigid, and she snapped up a salute to her brow (her claws adding an unintentional yet undeniable perverseness to the honorable gesture).

Said with a swell of confidence in her chest, "Herr Heike Eisen, Knight-Valiant of Reikhurst, Your Grace. If it pleases you, I wish to pledge myself and my honor to your cause against the army of vampires that threatens your Duchy."

She left it to Sir Eberwolf to speak on the matter of Kyla and Ferelith and their presences here, for he through his correspondence was aware of the extent of what Duke Remmond knew and did not know.

And Heike stood, maintaining her respectfully rigid posture and her salute until such time that she would be addressed or dismissed. Through the duration and festering in the back of her mind, the hope that Ferelith and Kyla would--now of all times--maintain some semblance of order.

Ferelith jumped slightly as Heike snapped at her and snatched her wrist with a beseeching glance.

It was like the loosing of a tightened bow string. They sat in silence as her anger had cooled and now the cooled steel was ready for use. Sadly it’s use at the moment was keeping Ferelith

“S-sorry..” She muttered scooting away from her lover with slight haste. With Kyla angry at her as well as her lover she simply sat looking dejected. This wasn’t going how she had hoped at all. Kyla was proving more reckless and manipulative. Seeming to try and drive a wedge between Heike and Ferelith herself. Leaving her with no one but Kyla to crawl back to.

The last night on the road had been sweet...but Ferelith could not forget her lover was also her handler. There was a definite limit to how comfortable she could be with Heike while the woman held her leash.

Kyla knew that. Ferelith knew that.

Thus while Fereliths actions were taken so Heike could loosen her grip. Kyla was specifically forcing her to tighten it.

Poking a bear Ferelith loved and then hoping aside after forcing its attack and letting it chew on Ferelith until it realized what it was doing.

She was so lost in thought she didn’t even realize where they were for a moment. The duke haggard by the weight of govenering his people through such trying times, but held himself with the same manner her father and many great leaders of men did.

With a regal sort of steel that drew Ferelith to Heike. Kyla stood aloof and seemed to size up the duke at a glance with a slight respectful nod. Ferelith simply stayed quiet. “I thought he would already know of these things. I didn’t realize we were being dragged here to be killed by those we came to aid.

If you think you can execute my sister here we can simply leave and return to our cell thank you very much.” She said firmly. It wasn’t disrespectful, but Kyla would rather leave than slaughter half a fortress to allow her sister to keep her head. She smirked and tried to contain a chuckle at Heike’s seasoned response and the added awkwardness of her salute. Like watching someone trying to force their foot in a boot that no longer fit them.

Ferelith simply gave her shoulder a pat and a reassuring smile trying to show she thought Heike was perfectly alright and had her support.

She understood all to well how comforting it can be for even a moment to pretend she was what she had once been. Her own suppression was itself nothing but a facade in and of its self. Being a knight had been everything to her lover and seeing her being able to return to a manner of acting she had so desperately enjoyed made Fereliths heart feel for her.

She could never be awkward or particularly imperfect in Fereliths eyes as long as she was happy.

But the sting of the reality of their relationship kept her comforting brief and light hoping to not draw too much attention or risk another snap at her expense.

Eberwolf also stood aright, stiff and at attention. "My Lord, these are allies that I have brought back, in the hopes that they might be helpful in turning the tide of the war. Heike, a knight herself, knows more about vampires than we do, a d can be of immense help. The two others, Kyla and Ferelith Scathach, are warriors of great prowess, and can assist with the fighting as captains."

Eberwolf was calm on the outside, but internally he was nervous. His father was neither patient, not foolish nor forgiving. And no matter how strong Kyla was, she'd stand little chance against the Duke, who had fought tougher and stronger opponents than she and walked away with their heads. And he had a small army throughout the castle, with an unmatched response time and they knew how to work as one organism, something Kyla would have a difficult time getting through on the principle of not being able to get close enough to a wall of spikes. He knew that Kyla didn't take this place seriously, which could easily end quite messily for her.