Private Tales The Viscosity of Blood

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Margot

hero
Character Biography
Link
Dreadlords seemed to be defecting quite often these days, or perhaps Margot was only hearing of the ones that defected. She had been sent after one such defect, a human man named Falcner (a rather dumb name, in Margot's opinion). He had been sent on a secret mission of sorts to the Sovereign Order and had had the audacity to send back a short, sweet little note that read "I'm done fighting for you". Margot didn't know who this 'you' was, or if it encompassed all of the Dreadlords but honestly she didn't give two shits. After his note, a bit of drama and gossip had stirred up for a while but then they found something else to bother themselves with. It had been nearly two months since he'd declared his independence and now the proctors wanted her to go after him. He knew too much, or something like that.

Margot strolled up the path towards Sovereignty castle, people entering and exiting the gates to the castle in both directions. Guards stood posted outside the gate but seemed rather useless as people came in and out. She supposed the deeper she went into the castle the more heavily it would be guarded. These people were merely hoping for an audience with the Supreme Monarch or looking for something small and easy to steal from the delivery wagons as they clattered over the cobblestones.

Margot prefered to stay away from monarchs and emperors and other sorts of tyrants, so even though she was entering his home, she really hoped she would not have to talk to the Supreme Monarch or whatever he called himself.

She kept her eyes peeled, scanning the people for anything that matched Falcner's description. She had read the briefing so many times she had it memorized. Falcner was fair of skin and even fairer of hair, but with dark brown eyes that made anyone who looked at him uncomfortable. He was marked at 6'1" with a muscular build and it was suspected that he had joined the ranks of knights, the fighting force for the Sovereign Order. Margot was a little more suspicious. He had so dramatically declared he wasn't fighting for the dreadlords anymore; why would he immediately go off and fight for somebody else?

Nevertheless, Margot would head towards the barracks around the backside of the castle, acting as if she belonged her, daring anyone to question her.

Dauner

• Popcorn
Reactions: Dauner
Another mundane day dawned on Sovereignty Castle. Just another seemingly uneventful day for Dauner. Since the conquest of the Kingdom of Koda and the establishment of the Dominion of Koda, Dauner's workload had seen a dramatic rise. While Ashol remained the capital of Koda and the Governor General was the de facto ruler, many in the surrounding settlements preferred to present their petitions to the Supreme Monarch himself. This had resulted in the creation of a small town around the castle. With the administrative reforms still in progress, Dauner remained buried under an insurmountable workload. But today was to be a day apart from all that.

Dauner decided to shake off the shackles of his currently mundane existence and take a break from the endless work. With the first rays of the sun, he snuck out through his window and ascended to the roof, where he observed the people below. It disturbed him to see civilians and those unrelated to the Order marching through the castle grounds. Although the security risks this brought up should soon be resolved by Clark's, Nika's, and Otaen's efforts, Dauner took some solace in knowing that the knights were putting in their best effort to protect the castle.

But, Dauner's tranquil moment with himself was soon to be interrupted. He caught sight of a young red-haired woman heading towards the barracks, which was rather odd. Usually, petitioners stuck to the well-worn paths between the gates and the throne room. Dauner knew that if left unhindered, she'd be redirected by the knights. But being a tad bit bored, he decided to interfere.

Dauner blended into the shadows, swiftly racing to the barracks and materializing just as the young woman turned the corner. With a light and casual tone, he addressed her.

"Good morning, miss. Have you perchance lost your way?"

Dauner was dressed in his usual casual attire and did not bear any distinguishing mark or symbol that would identify him as a knight, much less the monarch. His apparel could be mistaken for that of a peculiarly dressed servant, a knight that has yet to don his uniform, given that he was still in the barracks, or just a stranger altogether.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Margot
Margot gave the man a sheepish grin, a blush coloring her cheeks as she coyly tucked a curly lock of scarlet hair behind her ear. Something about the man tickled her mind but she tucked it away for later.

"No, I'm sorry, I-" she paused, glancing over her shoulder, leaning forward a bit as if sharing a secret with him, "I was supposed to meet my boyfriend, by the backside of the barracks. Before he has to get to work." She glanced over to the barracks, rising on tip toe as if looking for him. She had arrived here just before the morning shift was supposed to take over, the sun rising steadily above the horizon.

"I'm not breaking any rules, am I?" she said, an excited bit of nervous creeping into her tone. "I've met him here before, but I can tell him we need to meet somewhere else, if its a problem." Even someone with hightened senses would not be able to smell the lie on her, she sold it so well.

Her right hand drifted to a pocket in her skirt (the skirt had been necessary today, to blend in, but Margot hated it). The sound of paper could be heard within. "I have the letter from him, if you'd like to see it," she said, looking once more at the barracks, craning her head, looking for a pale head.

• Sip
Dauner, for a brief moment, lost himself, distracted by the beauty of the one before him. But that didn't stop him from hearing what she said. His facial expression immediately betrayed him, as it gave away the illusion of crushed hope. Dauner had a thing for beautiful women, and would usually find himself making seductive advances to one whenever he had the chance. This time, however, he'd keep his advances to himself.

Certainly, Dauner had failed to see through the lie, but his instinct warned him that things weren't necessarily as they seemed, and if there was one thing that Dauner had learned in his several millennia of life, was to always trust his instincts. Thinking back on it, Dauner found it strange that she'd pay her boyfriend a visit right before his shift. If he was working the morning shift, then that that meant he'd be free in the afternoon, and would have ample time to visit her, rather than potentially face disciplinary action if caught bringing a civilian into this part of the castle.

This made Dauner grow more suspicious the more he thought about it, but unlike with his dashed hopes, his expression wouldn't betray this. He'd need to keep an eye on her, he decided, as he told himself he wasn't just using it as an excuse to escape the pile of work that awaited him in his office.

Looking like he was trying to force a smile, as he recuperated from what felt like a rejection, even before he got to ask her out, Dauner turned down her offer to show him the letter.

"Well, you aren't breaking any rules per se. Though your boyfriend would be in quite a bit of trouble if your meeting was discovered. Be careful now" he said, as he walked away and turned around the corner. He'd leap up to the roof of the barracks, from where he'd continue watching her closely.

• Popcorn
Margot smiled sweetly at him, noting how he eyed her and the disappointment that crossed his features when she mentioned a boyfriend. How predictable, she thought.

"I will," she said, nodding enthusiastically as he drifted around the corner she had come.

She knew he believed her but she also knew to make any lie believe it must be based in fact, so she scurried towards the barrack, keeping up the act. She clutched her skirts in her fists, an eager smile on her face as she walked. A knight standing outside turned to look at her and before she could change her mind, she shot him a grin, reaching across the distance between them with an invisible hand to carress his mind, letting him see what she wanted him to see.

A smile broke out on his face as if he recognized her and when Margot reached him, he slid an arm around her waist and leaned forward as if to kiss her. Margot pressed a finger to his lips, stopping him, keeping a smile on her face even as sweat dripped down the back of her neck and his hand felt too tight around her. "Not here," she said conspiratorally, looking around before pulling him around the corner of the barracks, out of sight. Other knights had been watching but had given the knight with his arm around Margot a knowing look, silently promsing not to tell. She guessed the rest of them would be just as easy to manipulate. The men at least. They were the most predictable.

Once behind the barracks the knight leaned forward, pressing a heavy kiss to her mouth, pushing her back up against the wall. Margot let the grin slide from her face, not bothering to kiss the stranger back. He pulled back, a loopy smile on his face, his eyes glazed over. The pair were completely hidden from view now. Only a few more minutes of this ridiculous acting, and Margot planned on making it useful.

"Is Falcner here?" she asked.

He merely blinked at her. "Haven't seen him in a while, he's on inside duty. Trying to climb his way up the ladder. I heard he wants to be Knight Commander, of diplomatic affairs or something of the like," His voice was monotonous but Margot knew the words he spoke were truth. She swallowed hard, more from the effort of keeping control of him.

She was tempted to do a reading of him but that would take more effort than she was willing to put forth and so she reminded the simple knight that he had cheated on her and burst around the corner, tears streaking her face, leaving the man behind the barracks, his memory fuzzy, disappointed that Margot had run off.

• Sip
Dauner, being a half incubus, and having himself dabbled in the arts of mind manipulation, could clearly feel something amiss, when Margot approached the knight. Seeing what was going on, he laughed. He had to admit, Margot was a good actress, and knew how to make a lie believable. She was almost as good as him, he remarked to himself.

When the two slipped behind the barracks, Dauner rolled over to the part of the roof directly overlooking them. He then attuned his ears to the vibrations coming from below, and filtered all other sounds out, so he could eavesdrop on the two. And just in time, too, to hear the name Falcner. He'd never heard of the name before, but if it was a member of the order, the department of internal security would have a file on him. Dauner quickly dispatched a shadow demon to Nika's office, to get the documents on anyone named Falcner in the order. In the meantime, he'd continue keeping an eye on Margot. This was turning out to be more fun than he'd expected.

Dauner blended into the shadows, as he left the rooftop, preferring to stay in his shadow state as he tailed the young woman.

• Popcorn
Margot was still faking a broken heart as she walked back towards the main castle, walking back the way she had come. The wheels were turning her head, planning her next move. So it seemed that Falcner had indeed joined the fighting ranks of the Sovereign Order, but with other intentions in mind. Reaching for the top, trying to get close to the Supreme Monarch, perhaps, or sabatoge the order from within.

Margot didn't particularly care what happened to the order but whatever Falcner did, the order would find out his background and blame the Dreadlords for a political conspiracy and then that would be a mess they would find difficult to get out of.

She ducked into an alcove on the side of the castle, closer to where the civilians walked. She turned off the act, wiping her face dry, careful not to smear her makeup. "Sneaky bastard," she muttered, wishing Falcner hadn't made this so difficult.

Suddenly the hair on the back of her neck rose and she knew someone was watching her. She did not turn around, and kept her face hidden from view. She knew whoever was stalking her would either reveal themself or their intentions, whether on purpose or not.

• Popcorn
Dauner kept watch on Margot until the shadow return with the file. Hiding in the shadows around a corner, Dauner gave the document a quick read. It appeared that Falcner's background had already been investigated, as was the standard procedure for each new recruit to the order. His previous affiliation had been revealed through contact with the order's agents in the Anirian republic. The fact that he was now a member of the order meant he must have deserted. Dauner would have been informed if there was a defector seeking asylum within his ranks.

This information, however, didn't directly pose a threat to the order, and so the man was simply put under observation. He was still only a probationary knight anyway, and would have to have been a part of the order for 6 months before being able to become a full-fledged knight, so any trouble with the dreadlords that could arise because of him, could be resolved relatively easily.

After reading the document, Dauner would have the shadow demon return the document to the records, while he quickly changed into a squires uniform. It was a relatively low rank, being the lowest rank of official knights of the order, and the second-lowest rank overall, but it would suffice for his purposes.

He materialized back to his physical form, in an isolated corner, and started walking about like he was on patrol, as he headed for the area where Margot had hidden herself.

"What a lovely coincidence" he stated, as he discovered Margot, or acted like it anyway. "It would seem our paths have yet to cross for the last time" he added, as he walked up to her.

• Popcorn
Margot turned her head, offering a weak smile. It was easier to fake this, sense she was already worn out and annoyed. Stupid, really.

Now, the man was dressed as a squire. "Oh, hello," she said, her voice wobbly.

How long had it been since she had last seen him? Ten, fifteen minutes? How long could it take for a heart to break? Even shorter, Margot thought.

She didn't know a lot about the order, they kept their inner workings mostly secret, which was smart, but it made her job harder. Still, she guessed with only two months here it was likely that Falcner had not gotten far. She counted on it, in fact.

• Popcorn
"I certainly am most pleased to run into you agai-" he paused as he noticed her watery eyes, and signs of tears, wiped away but a moment prior. The look on his face changed to match the scenario he was trying to act out. "You're crying! What could possible cause tears to mar such beauty" he inquired with a caring voice.

Being the actor that he was, Dauner could seamlessly mimic any facial expression and tone of voice he so desired. That certainly played a role in making almost all of his lies believable. But the importance of his charm could not be understated in selling them. Safe for those with particularly strong resistance to psychological suggestions, almost everyone would find themselves ensnared into his charm. This by no means had any hypnotic effect, but rather just made people more attracted to him, and thereby more open to trusting him, some to the point of revealing sensitive secrets.

"Oh. Pardon my manners" he said extending a hand, hoping to lay a kiss on hers. "I'm Rai"

Dauner hoped his charm, which was one of the most important selling points to his charisma, would help him get somewhat of a glimpse into Margot's motifs.

• Popcorn
Margot got the distinct feeling that they were both trying to ensnare and fool the other. She almost smiled as the man called Rai turned on the charm. She humored him and gave him her hand. "Margot," she replied, giving her own, real name.

"It seems I have been rather foolish. Never give your heart to a soldier, they're too desperate," She griped. She paused, as if just noticing his squire's uniform. "Oh, well, I'm sorry, I'm sure you're quite nice, not desperate at all." She let a bit of sarcasm creep into her tone, but kept a half-hearted friendly smile on her face.

"But you're not really a soldier yet, are you?" She added, almost as an afterthought. She gave the man a thorough once over before returning her gaze to his.

• Popcorn
Dauner placed his lips on the back of Margot's hand, before releasing it. He let a slight smile appear on his face, indicative of a glimmer of hope returning, quickly hiding it away again, as he acted out an attempt to look sorry for her. He made sure to put up his best bad act, which would easily be seen through by someone with a keen eye.

"I am deeply sorry, for the scar your heart has had to suffer. He must have been a truly blind man to let your heart slip out of his hands"

Dauner offered a gentle smile at the comment about his desperation, acting like the sarcasm was completely lost on him. However, the comment about him being a soldier seemed to have stuck to his mind, as he entered a fit of boasting.

"I certainly am. I have been knighted and officially inducted into the order, in the service to the Supreme Monarch. Though I may be of the lowest rank, I am as much of a knight as any other knight in the order" he stated, puffing his chest to demonstrate that he held this identity with pride.

The rank of squire within the order had a different meaning to that in a feudal society. The rank that denoted a knight to be was the rank of initiate, while a squire was an already knighted member of the order.

• Popcorn
Hope returned to his face and whether it was real or not, Margot didn't particularly care. He said something poetic about hearts as he kissed her hand. Typical.

"Well I am happy for you, but that's a shame. I've decided I'm swearing off knights, and you seem nice," she said. Evidently in the Order, a squire was a knight, and something that was to be very prideful of. She poked his puffed up chest with a teasing bit of affection.

"I should probably go home now, nothing left for me here anymore," she said, looking at the front of the castle, where people were waiting to enter, to petition the monarch. A bit of loneliness crept into her features.

She was realizing she was going to have to stay here for a while, and she would have to always be on her defense, never able to confide in anyone or talk to her friends back home.

• Popcorn
Despite what appeared to be yet another rejection, Dauner didn't seem too affected by it this time. Instead, he seemed rather resolved to continue his pursuit.

"Well, the mind is a very fickle thing" he stated. "For all you know, I may just be the one to change your view on knights"

Thus far, Dauner had yet to get any useful information out of Margot, but that was alright. He was used to playing the waiting game, and had no issue with biding his time.

"And when can I hope to see you again" he inquired as Margot made mention of returning home. He assumed she had taken residence in the town just outside the castle for the time being, as she seemed to have yet to finish her work at sovereignty castle.

• Sip
Margot didn't know how serious this knight guy was about changing her mind, but she found it highly unlikely. She, as a general rule, did not like knights. They were too self-righteous and did not do all that they claimed.

She gave a delicate shrug. "I'll be in town all day, come and find me," she said, before walking away, letting her hips sway as she went. She walked back out of the gates, looking at the frozen guards over her shoulder with an amused glance, before turning forward again.

Already, the wheels were turning in her head, and she was planning her next step. It had only been two months, hopefully she could get Falcner out sooner rather than later, with no trouble, and then she could return home and take a nice, long, hot bubble bath.

• Popcorn
Dauner stood by and watched as Margot walked away. It was only after she was out of sight that the genuine smile he had on faded, being replaced by slight amusement. Despite the fact that Dauner was indeed have attracted to Margot, which he was to pretty much every beautiful woman really, that wasn't the reason he'd approached her. That, he reminded himself of, with a sigh, as he headed back to the castle.

She said she would be in town all day, which he interpreted as an invitation. He'd definitely go out into town in the afternoon, but for now, he thought it best to get back to work. This short encounter was fun, but it was time to get back to boredom now. At least till noon.

• Sip
When she was out of sight of the nosy man, she hurried along down the road. She walked through the village, walking into the tavern where she was staying. It was a new build, but already it was dirty inside and stank of ale and sweaty bodies. Her scarlet hair drew the eyes of those in the room but she didn't particularly care right now; she wanted people to see her, so Rai would know where to find her.

She knew he was interested in her beauty, but she also knew it was more than that. He had been watching her since she set foot on the palace grounds, and she wondered if the order knew she had been coming and put someone on her; not trusting dreadlords. Or, Falcner could have made a few friends and kept a squire on lookout for any dreadlords who would like to end his miserable life.

She sat down at the bar and the keeper slid her a mug of ale as she ruminated on the events of the morning. She felt as if she was missing something, something big that would change her assumptions. It danced at the corners of her mind but she could not put a finger on it. She would have to wait until Rai returned.

• Popcorn
Dauner responded to all petitions brought before him that morning. Some with affirmations, and others with rejections. But still, there remained a few which didn't quite fall into this binary. Those were the ones with petitions so petty, Dauner almost had them beheaded for insulting his regal dignity. But he would pass, dismissing their requests without a second thought, for no gain did he see in such acts of tyranny.

As soon as the bells tolled for the twelfth time, indicating the arrival of noon, Dauner took to his feet, dismissing the court as he did. He had Ayana stay behind, however, because he had instructions for her.

"I want you to set up a commission to collect all petitions henceforth" he said. "I shall look over them after dark and have the commission deliver my responses"

Ayana gave Dauner a suspicious look. "Lord, it is important for your image as the supreme monarch that you not be thought avoiding interaction with your people" she warned.

"Dearest Ayana" Dauner started, as he slowly distanced himself from the throne, with Ayana right behind him. "It is important that the people realise the monarch has other duties to attend to"

"What duties? You are just looking for chances to go out and flirt with some random girls, aren't you"

"Why, I have no clue if I should be disappointed that you have so little trust in me, or if I should be happy that you know me so well" Dauner chuckled as he sped up. "I shall leave the castle in your care"

With that, he was gone, heading straight for the new town right outside the castle walls. He'd been here a couple of times, and considering he always uses a visual fragmentation spell to keep his face hidden accepting petitions, no one in town knew what he looked like, and thus couldn't recognize him. He asked around a bit, and soon found himself before a tavern.

"Here goes round 2" he thought, as he walked in.

• Popcorn
Margot was growing bored waiting for Rai to return and was just about to go back out into the town when he walked in the tavern door. She turned her attention back to her nearly empty mug of ale and finished the last dregs as she waited for him to notice her.

He had sought her out specifically, and Margot knew it was not just because he was attracted to her. He was suspicious of her. She hadn't been here very long, and already she was arousing suspicion. Was she losing her touch? No, she couldn't be, it was much too early for that. Either there was something out of the ordinary about this man or he was sent to watch her for a reason.

The barkeeper asked if she wanted another drink but she turned him down. She had had quite enough of this nasty, sour tasting ale and she didn't want to pay for another mug of it just for appearance's sake.

• Sip
Upon entering the tavern, Dauner quickly scanned around, noticing Margot almost immediately, as her hair easily made her stand out. However, he wouldn't be able to walk straight up to her, as a tavern patron came up to him from behind, throwing his arm over Dauner's shoulder.

"Look who we've got here" the muscly man said abruptly, bringing attention to Dauner. "Finally got tired of the castle and decided to join us ordinary folk for a drink, eh"

Dauner had, on occasion, been frequenting the town since its establishment, and was on a first name basis with pretty much all the original residents. He, however, kept his identity a secret and to everyone was simply a squire of the order.

"Stay away, you reek of alcohol" Dauner said, pushing his face away. "Getting drunk this early in the day is a bad habit, you know?"

"And you're the one to talk. I could drink all day, and I'd still not be a match for you" the man retorted.

"At least I don't get drunk"

"Why don't we change that"

"Not today Brotus. I have a date today" Dauner said straightening his clothes, while Brotus stared blankly. He'd pretty much lost count of how many women he'd seen Dauner with already.

"Dear master Rai. Teach me your ways" he said jokingly as though to make fun of the fact.

Dauner simply ignored him and walked up to the bar, greeting the woman behind the counter as he took his seat, and ordering a mug of ale. "Hope I didn't keep you waiting too long"

She heard the commotion when the man from before walked in again. She did not turn around, listening to his conversation with amusement.

He eventually sat down beside her, ordering a mug of that nasty, sour ale.

"What else are we women good for besides waiting; for our knight in shining armor to swoop in and save us?" She replied, raising an eyebrow at him, her tone mostly sarcastic.

She got the distinct impression that he was a womanizer but then she'd be hard-pressed to find any man in this tavern who wasn't. Rather disappointing. She quite liked it when they put up a fight. Only the stupid prey who thought they were a predator walked into the predator's arms with a smirk.

She also thoroughly enjoyed playing hard to get.

• Popcorn
Although Dauner would never boast of his past conquests, much less to a woman he was trying to charm, he wasn't one to turn into a nervous wreck when he got a hint that she had acquired knowledge of said past conquests, or at least of his inclination towards beautiful ladies. Instead, he just rolled with it, and let whatever idea she was preconceiving in her mind be.

"Well, wait no more. Your knight is here" he said, taking the mug that was now being offered to him, and gulping down a mouthful.

"So. Would the lady mind sharing a little bit about herself with this humble knight?" he asked flirtatiously, now giving her his full attention.

• Popcorn
She raised an eyebrow, giving him a side glance. Who did he think he was? He acted as if he was the Supreme Monarch.

She rolled her eyes, gave him a smirk, and ordered a glass of wine. The cocky ones were always the most fun to mess with.

"By western standards, you're not really a knight," she said, pretending to tease him playfully. "So I guess I shall just have to wait for my real knight to arrive," She took a sip from her wine once it was served to her.

She didn't look at him full on, and instead paused a minute before responding to his inquiry. "And why should I tell you anything about myself, 'humble knight', when I know nothing about you?" she said finally, a teasing smirk painting her face. She wondered just how much rejection the man could take before he snapped.

Last edited:
  • Popcorn
Dauner raised an eyebrow, taking exception to that first statement. Though he personally didn't, knights did tend to not take too kindly to being told they weren't actually knights. Even more so, if the standard their knighthood is being judged on, is one foreign to the lands they were knighted in. it was, after all, a position they'd word hard for.

"I don't know how they define a knight in the west, but in the sovereign order, as long as I've been knighted, and sworn into the service of the Supreme Monarch, I'm as much of a knight as anyone else" he said, looking back to his mug.

Dauner had been cautiously, but intentionally, giving out rather trivial pieces of information throughout the conversation as a means of probing Margot. She'd eventually let out a hint of interest, and he'd be able to get a clearer picture of her mission here.

Margot's later sentence, however, seemed to put him back into a mood. "If you desire to know, all you need to do is ask. I'm almost like an open" he said, teasingly emphasizing the 'almost'.

• Popcorn
Margot gave him a shrug, a playful smile still tugging at her mouth. She was having a bit of fun, pretending to flirt.

"Really," she said when he explained what knights were in the Sovereign Order. Her tone held and implied no interest at the topic, and she let her eyes wander across his form as if what she saw distracted and appealed to her.

"Have you had many girls?" she asked. It was a sort of trick question, even if it was just for conversation purposes. If he said yes, she wouldn't want a promiscuous man who was used to getting his way with women. But, if he said no, she wouldn't want a man who was inexperienced.

Or perhaps this question would fall under the 'almost' category he had teasingly mentioned.

• Popcorn