Completed The Summer Song Of The Prey

Vivienne Summers

Herbalist
proxy.php

*Unknown Village, along Cairour River* (Seven years ago)

The stench of smoke and fire filled the air as flocking ravens scattered towards the north, east, south and the west. It wasn't just the smoke and fire that could be smelled but the ashes and chard bodies of the innocent who lived there. Most of the fire had died down and all the captured had been taken from the homes... ripped away from their families but within the depressing silence and smoked filled air stood and ever burning tavern which use to be a place for innocent joy. In front of that ever-burning building, stood a darkly cloaked figure who seemed to be in distraught by all the destruction. "It wasn't suppose to be like this... I..." the feminine voice from beyond the cloak spoke up before revealing herself in the dead of the night. Her hair was Auburn like the Autumn, her skin fair. The young woman's emerald eyes looked around the area as tear welled within her eyes.

"I didn't mean too... I just..." the woman stammered trying to find an explanation but none could be found.

The woman fell to the ground near a chard body in which she shook her head in disbelief. "I didn't want too... I didn't mean to harm anyone. I just..."

"Wanted to help?" came a more dulcet dark tone. "Vivienne, look around. You did help... you completed a task that I assigned you and out of this destruction will come something greater than you can imagine." the tones came again as a leathered gloved hand was placed on her shoulders.

Vivienne sharply shrugged the hand off, "this isn't what I wanted. This is what you want! what good could come of violence!" Vivienne growled which only made the hidden dulcet voice chuckle. "You should ask yourself that. I mean after all this destruction is by your hand. Don't be coward, I've trained you to be something powerful and yet you still sympathize with the low. How utterly pathetic."

proxy.php

*Outskirts of Alliria* (Present Day)

"Let see here... trouble with natural instincts? You mean like Lycanthropy?" Asked Vivienne as one of locals nodded wearily. He looked this way and that, to make sure no one could gain an ear of his problem. "I see your problem but is it really a problem that should be fixed? I mean its what makes you special. you've might have developed Lycanthropy from heritage or some other unknown cause. It's been a minute since I've studied Lycans but if you really wish to rid yourself of Lycanthropy then I suggest Wolfsbane. It's a common known herb to help with you Lycanthropy, I also suggest you use it in anything that you eat. Helps get rid of it faster. Come by tomorrow and I shall have something more to help." Vivienne explained quickly as lines were long today and she wanted to get to everyone before the days end.

Her patience nodded and then scurried off to whatever business he had left to attend. It was hard being the only herbalist that was willing to help the outskirts of the Alliria city but Vivienne wouldn't back down from such a challenge. An older couple was up next and their request was oddly weird and very uncomfortable. "you want me to help with.... whats between your legs...." Vivienne question gently as she was very uncomfortable with this mad situation.

"I will see what I can do... for now... talk with the town's clergy and then come back with a letter stating all your health things, so that I may better understand how to help you." She requested in which the older couple nodded and scurried off as well. Once out of sight... Vivienne couldn't help but laugh.

She had heard stranger request but it was about the way the couple was so happy to have their request answered that made Vivienne feel extremely tickled.

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Alec Trevellen
"Lady, I'm afraid there's not much that I can do for you, but..." The young man scurried along the shelves, his hands perousing for the right bottle until his eyes finally fixed on what he was looking for. An old potion to help delay blindness, one of the trickiest he had ever crafted back in the College, when he was trying to impress one of the Maesters. Before everything...

He shook those memories off for a moment, focusing back on the task at hand as Alec grabbed the bottle and quickly turned towards the old lady waiting by the wooden counter of his small workshop. It had only been a few months since he arrived in Alliria, and though the city is much less pleasant than he had imagined, it was a good hideout for the time being.

At least there were people who still needed, and deserved, his help. Alec didn't want to live the rest of his life in hiding, but there was little he could do without raising any suspicions. His name was tarnished and he had been framed a criminal... His old life was no more, and the only path ahead of him was the outskirts of Alliria.

"Here, Miss Helena." The mage walked from the back of the workshop, putting the rounded vial in a small leather pouch and sealing it with a tight knot, before carefully leaving it at the frail hands of the woman, who looked at him with a warm smile. "I'm sorry for not being of greater help, but blindness is a natural condition, and Magic is not supposed to stop the cycles of Life."

To his surprise, the woman named Helena nodded positively, her hand reaching for his forearm. "You worry too much, young man... You have been of great help to me and my family. It's rare to find someone such as you in this city, you know?" She laughed, and even awkwardly, Alec followed with a laugh of his own. They spent a few more minutes talking, and even though the young mage initially refused any sort of payment, Helena insisted enough that he accepted a few silver coins.

Now, standing alone in the middle of his workshop, he raised his head to look at the wooden roof, recalling the expensive and beautifully crafted ceilings of the College. His heart was swollen with grief and regret without an end, and once again he was left alone to his rather melancholic thoughts, wishing he could turn back time in order to save himself from the life of an outlaw.

Vivienne Summers

Back at the little magical stand, Vivienne wrapped up yet another request writing it down on her list to do. Seeing an elderly lady by the name Helena walk by, Vivienne couldn't help but call after her. "It's seems you are happier than ever, Helena. What do you have there?" Vivienne asked as Helena approached her.

"this helpful young man, gave me a potion... a sort of cure for my blindness. It's not everlasting but all I've ever wanted since I was a little girl was a chance to see." Helena explained through her bright big smile. Vivienne returned the smile, "I've heard a little about this potion maker, I'm quite glad there are more of us to help the people. By any chance, could you put me in the direction of the shop? I would like to extend a official welcome." Vivienne explained which made the elder woman giggle.

"Dear child, you have something great in your future. Even though I can't see, I know that destiny is calling for something great." Helena said before smelling the air and then point Vivienne in the direction in which she came. "Thank you.." Vivienne said not knowing truly what Helena was babbling about but she was happy the Helena had found some joy.

The two women went their separate ways. Vivienne made her way through the outskirt streets until she came upon a shop that she was quite familiar with but knew it only because no one had ever inhabited it until now or rather a few months back. Vivienne took a deep breath and then strolled into the warmth of the store putting on her warmest smile.

Upon Alec coming into her view, Vivienne stammered but recomposed herself before he could even notice she had. "So you must be the potion maker, I've heard so much about. I'm Vivienne, some called me Vivie but thats neither here nor there." She introduce keeping her smile warm as she reached out to shake Alec's hand.

• Cthuulove
The months had passed rather quickly, and yet Alec was having trouble finding his footing in such a... different place. He still had nightmares about that night, the night of the betrayal, when his closest friend in the College plotted a great plan to frame him in front of the Maesters and Templars. He had almost been captured and executed that very same night, if not for that hedious magic.

The Magic of Blood, forsaken and forbidden. Alec was sat upon a small bench, next to a few crates that were yet to be properly opened and moved around. More magical shipments that he had managed to procure with whatever coin he had been lucky to get. Working as a collector and merchant had given him the means to form a new life in that place, but not one that he was happy living.

"Father, Mother... What should I do...?" He whispered, his saddened eyes looking at the palm of his hands as he sat there, dwelling on his own misery. Was he being too ungrateful about his current predicament? He possessed talents and intelligence that most people would kill to have, and he was even using such gifts to help others, the desperate people of the Outer City of Alliria, beggars that could barely pay their own rent in that unforgiving city.

Not long after, he was surprised by a warm presence... and a rather soothing voice. He raised his head and quickly stormed back to his feet, glancing at the redhaired woman that had just barged inside his store with a smile so bright that he was sure that the sun itself was paying him a visit. He stared at her for a moment longer as she introduced herself as Vivienne. "You've... heard of me?"

It was then that he remembered - Vivienne, the herbalist from the other side of the borough. Lady Helena had told him about her before, about her always helpful nature and vast knowledge on the subject of herbology. Alec opened a shy smile, though always wary of trusting others, he was not without manners and education. "You can call me Alec. What brings you to my workshop?" He spoke softly, finally shaking her hand.

Somehow, he felt he needed to know more about her.

"Well, I guess curiosity did. Although it's nice to know that I now have magical substances nearby. Even though I work as a herbalist, I might as well become a clergy too, with all the request I'm getting." Vivienne said as let her emerald hues wonder around the shop. "So what brought you to Alliria? If you don't mind me asking..." Vivienne question though gently as she didn't want to pry or make her acquaintance feel uncomfortable with her questions.

As she waited for a reply of some sort, she couldn't help but walk closer to the counter to take a closer look at Alec's many potions on display. "quite a collection.... almost seems like these potions come from the shipment of Elbion but magic can be created and can come from anywhere. Right?" Vivienne rhetorically question as she didn't know Alec had came from the College of Elbion or his past.

*Meanwhile*

Helena, the proud blind lady that knew Alec and Vivienne, made her way through the crowded streets of the outskirt until she sharply made a turn into a dark back-way. Two other elder women stood waiting as Helena joined them. "Children... always so trusting. I mean who goes into hiding only to remain in the open." Helena spoke as her eyes glowed a whiteish color and her skin started to de-age.

The other women followed suit and they stared to look young again too. "How much longer do we have to play with our mice? We agreed to work with the Templars because it would in our best interest, but I'm hunger for a magic user even more so for a blood magic user. Plus how else am I to stay young sister." one of the sisters spoke up while the other nodded in agreement.

"Now... Ingrid. Don't get too hasty just yet. We have our roles to play, if we fall out of line then we as good as dead." Helena Explained "But whatever they do, Vivienne is mine for the taking. I've already made that deal and someone much more powerful then us Sisters of Nightingale needs Vivienne for something greater. So we keep our heads down and when the time is right, we prey on our summer bird and her bloody dove." Helena reminded getting her sisters eager once more.

Then the sisters put on there matching cloaks and then made their way through the crowd of the city.

• Nervous
In those months that he spent trying to forge a new life for him in that city, Alec had never come across someone quite so... lively. He lacked a better word to describe her, but Vivienne looked quite different from the people of Alliria, which only made him wonder from where did she come from.

He chucked slightly as the redheaded woman joked about becoming a clergy, due to the variety of requests being made of her. It was a feeling that Alec also shared, as most people came to his workshop in search for miracles that even Magic couldn't perform. The desire to fly, to mend a broken heart, or to kill your greatest evil with only but a stare... Magic was incredibly powerful, but there were limits that needed to be respected, a balance that needed to be upheld and protected.

Many people came to him searching for those kinds of things, and Alec could do nothing but offer a few helping words and some carefully crafted potions. Sometimes, mercenaries and explorers would seek him out, requesting aid in solving matters of magical origins, and he was an avid collector of whatever piece of lore and knowledge that was brought to him. Coin was greatly appreaciated, and a necessity for him to continue living in that city, but knowledge was far more valuable than any money.

"Perhaps I should follow you in that. People in this area seem to believe I'm some sort of miracle worker." He joined in with her jokes, turning to look at her as Vivienne explored his workshop, seemingly amazed by his wares. And then... A question about his past, a question that made him pause, look away from her in search of a good enough lie to please her.

Could he tell her that he had been framed for crime, that he was now hunted by all sorts of Templars for breaking College rules and using Blood Magic? No... Alec could never trust anyone again, not after he was betrayed in that way, by his closest friend of all people. "I needed to see more of the world, explore a bit. I'm a collector, and it's hard to collect things from one place only." He answered as calmly as he could, trying to hide his nervousness from earlier.

He followed after Vivienne as she took a more detailed look at his potions. "Some of those are ordered from Elbion, some are made by me. Most of the ingredients are ordered from a great many places, but they all fit the same purpose." Alec explained as he stood beside her, grabbing a random potion and handing it out for her to take a look.

"Have you been here for long?" Alec questioned, curious.

"For as long as I could remember.... ever since I was about Sixteen." Vivienne said strangely as she couldn't remember vividly the details of how she came to Alliria but only a general idea of how she got to be in such a place. "I know, young age to be traveling on my own but I've made a life for myself." Vivienne explained before plastering on another warm smile hiding away any unpleasant emotions.

"Well I would agree with your earlier statement. You can't collect from one place but once you step foot into Alliria... you'll never want to leave. Strange I know but oddly comforting, knowing that I have a place to call home." Vivienne revealed.

"Since we are sharing customers... and I've always need a shop to call home... what if we collaborated and made a place where Allirians of all kind can come and get treated. I mean you saw how happy Helena was and we would be raking in more coins. Although I prefer not to work because of coins but because of the people." Vivienne suggested.

It was such a big request in such little time but Vivienne's imagination ran wild and plus Alec look like he need a person to help him learn the outskirt of Alliria.

• Cthuulove
Alec eyed her with ever increasing interest as Vivienne told him about her own arrival to Alliria. She was so young when that happened, and it reminded him of his first time leaving his small village and moving to Elbion. Not by his own choice, he had been labelled as a danger to the peace of that small community and sold to the College for a handful of coins, and yet... He still remembered the first time he saw a glimpse of those huge walls, the mystique that surrounded that whole district, as if magic had been instilled into every tile.

"You truly were young!" He agreed with her, casting a honest smile towards the woman before continuing. "I was very young when I moved from my old house. I suppose life isn't too keen on waiting for us to grow old." The young mage joked, putting away the potion and walking back behind his counter, taking a small but clean piece of cloth and starting to clean away some of the dirt.

Somehow, Alec found himself agreeing with Vivienne again. He truly did feel 'drawn' to Alliria, from the moment he arrived. "I get what you mean. This place surely has some... allure to it." He spoke, thoughtful. He couldn't tell precisely what it was in this city that made him want to stay, but he felt safe enough to hide here, to try and move on from his past life.

After all, he was no longer a College Mage, but a simple lore collector and a merchant of magical wares. Quite the change in his life.

Vivienne brought him back from his thoughts, with a proposal that made him quite nervous, but also curious and even interested. He was living alone in that place, with his only companies being his faithful customers, though they were always after his potions, and not the man himself. It was... lonely, but so much had happened in his life that Alec had even grown used to that loneliness. Better to embrace it than dwell on something he could never have.

"I..." He began, but paused, taking a deep look towards the redhaired herbalist, before sighing heavily. He threw the small piece of cloth over his shoulder, amazed at himself for even considering that offer. "I suppose I could always use a business partner. And also..." He opened a large smile, his eyes never looking away from her. "Maybe we could do a lot of good together."

It would surely come in handy to have a expert herbalist by his side, especially with the kind of miracles he had been tasked with performing lately.

Vivienne let out a sigh of relief as she turned her back to Alec. "I've always lived alone... but seeing people, even birds that flock around the sky. It just reminded me of what I was missing." Vivienne said before turning back towards Alec. She softly smiled giving him a little nod of farewell and then she made her way out of the store.

Just like that the warmness that she brought was gone as quickly as it had came. Vivienne wasn't just a herbalist but had many smaller jobs on the side. Rats... they were a big issue and created a lot of the disease being treated by the clergy. Knowing that Vivienne helped the people, The people didn't know anyone better but Vivienne herself, who could help with pest control. It wasn't her favorable job but at the end of the day, work needed to be done.

Vivienne made her way to her next destination, the last stop or rather job before heading home. "Look who finally decided to show up. You know rats don't move or kill themselves." said a large rounded man. Food was something he loved and it showed, his head rounded and bald. His beard a brownish color with little grey hair intertwine with the natural color.

"I get Mills... but you don't have multiple jobs like I do. Also, I don't see you cleaning up rat mess." Vivienne respond rolling her eyes as Mills had always annoyed her with his shortness of patentice. "Vivie, just get the job down. Your assignment is down near the docks in this large warehouse. I don't need to tell you what to do or how to do it. Your excused." Mills said before shoving his mouth with yet another piece of strawberry filled cravens.

"Thanks mills, oh and after I get my coins. I quit..." Vivienne said as she had better things to do with her life than deal with rats. She also had made that deal with the young fellow named Alec.

"yeah... yeah. You'll be back." Mills said as Vivienne made her way out of yet another shop.