Private Tales The Room Where It Happened

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Dominic Valentino

King of the Jungle
Character Biography
Link
"Boss, are you sure about this. It's really hard to get this stuff, and we only have one bottle left."

Dominic smacked one of his subordinates in the back of the head lightly. He looked at him angrily as he snatched the bottle of wine out of his hand. They were standing inside "The Watering Hole' expecting some important guests.

"What have I told you? We use the wine for important occasions. Does this not seem important?"

The man painfully rubbed the back of his head and mumbled under his breath. He looked mainly human, but he had a cat-like tail and eyes. "Why do we have to work with them? We've always been fine by ourselves."

Dom only smiled down at his friend. Most of the members of the Jungle had rough backgrounds where they were treated poorly because of their race or appearance, often both. They had trouble trusting anyone that wasn't a part of the community. He could not blame them for that, but their was a reason he was the one making decisions.

"Yes, but it's just been fine. I want all of us to do better than fine. Remember to do that we have to work within the ecosystem. Look after each other, but we can't be afraid to reach out our hands in fear of being bitten." The young man slowly nodded his head in understanding.

"So, we will use the nice wine. We will bring them to the nice room, and I swear to my ancestors that if I hear anyone in here acting like an asshole then you will feel my wrath. Is that understood?" He raised his voice for the last bit to make sure he got the point across. Everyone nodded along not want to face Dominic's anger.

"Good, let's show some hospitality."

Amadeus Greywood

"The Watering Hole", such a quaint name, if not a bit unoriginal.

Gilgamesh Briarthorne stepped down from his carriage with the aid of his cane, the metal brace encasing his right leg squealing in protest every time he bent his knee or put weight on it. Two younger women exited the carriage as well, one an imposing muscular figure of a woman, the second a quick eyed observant and studious woman. If not for these differences it would be plainly obvious they were sisters.
His cane tapped against the cobblestones as he approached the establishment.

Squeak *tap*

Squeak *tap*

Squeak *tap*

He entered the Watering Hole, a middle aged man dressed in high class finery, a grey suite with a long coat around his shoulders.
The cane he used to support himself sported the head of a dragon cast in silver.
His hair and beard were more white shot with grey than vise versa, and his overall demeanor suggested a jovial grandfatherly air.

He spotted the creature that fit the description of the one commonly known as "Dom".
As any good businessman he did as much research as he deemed prudent on someone he thought to do business with.

He smiled jovially as he approached the humanoid otter with his awkward gait.
"A pleasure to finally make your acquaintance, mister Valentino! I am Gilgamesh Briarthorne, and these are my daughters, Faustian and Heticate."
He formally introduced the two younger women attending him, indicating Faustian as the imposing one, and Heticate as the studious one.

“I should not have to come. I have so much work to attend to..” Heticate huffed sitting next to her twin as they rode in the carriage. “Nah. We need all of us to be on the same page, and I’m not taking notes for you.” Faust said with an eye roll. “Father I really must..” She looked up at Amadeus before looking back down muttering. “Apologies.” In abyssal. Placing her hands in her lap she rode quietly until they arrived.

The daughters followed behind their father.

Faustian on his right.

Heticate on his left.

The bolder twin being dressed in her usual combat garb of light body armor and pants and a tank top that showed off her tattoos. Most gangs would see affiliated markings if they were looking.

Most gangs would allow outside members to be marked after they made a contract to use her inn as a safehouse or meeting place. Most owners would be around long enough for a couple. With this many it said Faustian had been around awhile and knew a lot of people.

The right people.

One tattoo stood out and was mostly hidden. What wasnt was the large border of bare flesh that separated it from all the others totally. She grinned looking around the room as she saw a few faces she knew.

Heticate was dressed in a common school teachers uniform though it was completely black with hints of red silk. Accented neatly with a silver necklace that matched the silver frames of her eyeglasses. only the smallest hints of ink peaking from her various coverings showed she had her own share of tattoos and that there might be bit more to her than she was showing at the moment.

While Faustian smiled and waved occasionally Heticate simply kept her hands clasped and her eyes forward.

He smiled jovially as he approached the humanoid otter with his awkward gait.
"A pleasure to finally make your acquaintance, mister Valentino! I am Gilgamesh Briarthorne, and these are my daughters, Faustian and Heticate."
He formally introduced the two younger women attending him, indicating Faustian as the imposing one, and Heticate as the studious one.

Faustian smirked and jerked her chin up in a greeting while Heticate simply nodded meekly. They were there for a reason and it was not to talk. Her and her sister were both hybrids.

While different circumstances they could relate to a degree and they might ease some tension.

This and after Gwens death...His daughters had been a bit clingy. They were trying to hide it. Making up reasons to be by his side that were paper thin. This had not required one. He had asked and they had come quite willingly. "Nice place. From one proprietor to another..." Faustian said before receiving a hiss from her sister for silence.

"What?" Faustian said defensively crossing her arms and rolling her eyes chuckling good naturedly.

Dominic was alerted to the Briarthorne's arrival as their carriage pulled up in front of the tavern. He moved to meet them offering a smile and a polite smile as they entered.

He could not help but assess each of them as they walked in. The man leading the party was certainly a man of style and taste. Dominic himself enjoyed fine clothes that gave off a certain aesthetic, but he was not spending mountains of money on his appearance. This man's attired was certainly more put together than his own. The noticeable limp made Dom wonder where he had received such an injury.

The two girls were...well they were opposites in every which way. Both are beautiful but in completely different manners. Heticate gave off an intelligent heir in her attire and demeanor. To be quite honest, Dom had always had the most trouble with those types. He had no problem convincing the muscle heads around here that he was a little smart, but around people that actually knew what they were talking about, he always worried if his rural upbringing was showing.

As for Faustin, she was much more Dominic's speed and she seemed to know a few at the establishment which wasn't that hard to believe. Her armor and tattoos made her fit in perfectly with many of her people. Although, tattoos were a struggle for many given their fur or scales.

"Thank you for the compliment. Although, I have better people than me running the day-to-day operations of the tavern...Thank you all for coming. I am looking forward to our meeting, but first. Can I get any of you a drink?"

Amadeus Greywood Gwendolyn Vollmund

“I should not have to come. I have so much work to attend to..” Heticate huffed sitting next to her twin as they rode in the carriage. “Nah. We need all of us to be on the same page, and I’m not taking notes for you.” Faust said with an eye roll. “Father I really must..” She looked up at Amadeus before looking back down muttering. “Apologies.” In abyssal. Placing her hands in her lap she rode quietly until they arrived.
"Your concerns are noted, Heticate."
His tone around them in the carriage was much different than it was now. His tone invited no argument, but even they could detect the softer edge in his voice and treatment of them both as opposed to their previous history... Before their mother was killed.

"Thank you for the compliment. Although, I have better people than me running the day-to-day operations of the tavern...Thank you all for coming. I am looking forward to our meeting, but first. Can I get any of you a drink?"
"Of course! I myself will enjoy a drink after our jaunt to this fine establishment.
I am not overly picky on what kind of drink you offer but do keep in mind my elderly liver!"

He joked as easily as he seemed to smile. He may have been laying it on a little thick with the compliments, but that was the persona he chose.
"Do you think we can go ahead and sit down? That will do the old leg some good."

Gilgamesh wasn't nearly as frail as he let on, but the limp was only ever so slightly exaggerated as Faustian and Heticate would recognize.
He was an incredibly uncanny actor, he knew exactly when and how to shake or waver to suggest greater age and frailty when he moved his hands or leaned on his cane, none of which he actually experienced.

The otter and his people, inhuman and dangerous, but who was keeping score? These were people like any other and they were willing to shake hands and share for a mutual benefit.
They will both walk away with a deal benefiting themselves and their organizations.

"Nothing for me." Heticate said quietly still seeming to be focused on what was going on around her. Her eyes behind her glasses seemed to never miss a single detail.

Why was her father acting so frail? She would think demonstrating strength in this moment would be more prudent. But as her eyes met her fathers he seemed to nod. He understood her thoughts.

She needed to trust him. Which would be ironic to an extent had he not changed so much sense their mothers passing. She felt another pang in her chest at the thought of her mothers watchful eyes forever closed..

She pushed the thoughts in her mind aside long enough to give a sniff of disapproval as her sister grinned widely at the mention of drinks. "Ah great minds already thinking a like there eh?" She said nodding to Dom.

"Get me a dragonfire whiskey, neat." She paused, "In a tankard please. I hate those small glasses.." She said with her grin growing past her lips revealing her maw of razer sharp teeth. The entire bottom row glistening steel. "We're working.." Heticate hissed from their left as Faustian shrugged.

"Dont mind her. She's allergic to not being a wet sackcloth." Faustian joked giving Dom a friendly wink before smacking her sister on the back good naturedly causing her glasses to slide down her nose. "Now lighten up before we make you wait in the carriage."

"Fine.." Heticate said pushing her glasses back up her nose. "I will take a small glass of red wine if your willing sir." She would say with a glare at her sister and an apologetic smile to Dom.

Dom chuckled lightly at the two women's antics before calling one of his people over and making orders. He would give Amadeus some of the wine seeing as it was more delicate in flavor, perfect for sophisticated rich people. Dominic was more than pleased to see Faustian order the Dragonfire whiskey since that gave him a reason to order his own glass of whiskey while avoiding the wine.

Dominic led them over to a foursome of soft, red linen-lined chairs that stood out from the normal furniture of the building. This area was also nestled into the back of the main room and blocked off from the vision of the rest of the room. This place was usually used as the VIP room.

The only other meeting room was his office and that place was a mess.

"Take a seat and relax."

Shortly after taking his own seat, the drinks arrived. The waiter handed the drink to their respective people, it wasn't difficult to figure out which drink went to which person.

Dominic looked to Heticate and offered light cheers, "I can appreciate someone who focuses on their work. I just find that meetings such as this fair better with the introduction of just a bit of alcohol." He explained with a light chuckle.

"However, I don't want to waste your time, so let's get right to it."

"Take a seat and relax."

Shortly after taking his own seat, the drinks arrived. The waiter handed the drink to their respective people, it wasn't difficult to figure out which drink went to which person.
Gilgamesh took his seat gracefully with a squeal from his leg brace.
He hooked his cane on the back of his chair and picked up his glass when it arrived.

Dominic looked to Heticate and offered light cheers, "I can appreciate someone who focuses on their work. I just find that meetings such as this fair better with the introduction of just a bit of alcohol." He explained with a light chuckle.
He swirled the contents of his drink for a moment while Dom and his daughters interacted, then took a sip, sampling the flavor. Deciding he liked the flavor he leaned back and took another sip.

Gilgamesh nodded and smiled in agreement.
"Yes, business before pleasure I think."
He set his glass on the table and regarded the otter man.
"I've naturally done some research on you, but I think I would rather hear it straight from you, mister Valentino."
He put his hands out in an open gesture referencing their surroundings.
"What is it you do here?"

• Sip
Reactions: Charity Briarthorne
"Take a seat and relax."

Faustian gladly took a seat letting herself fall into the comfortable chair, Heticate adjusted her dress and gracefully took a seat as well, folding her hands across her lap. As the drinks arrived Faust accepted it with a grateful nod to the server.

Heticate made a face at her wine before giving it a small swirl and a sniff. The face of disapproval was replaced by a look of appreciation as she continued to sip without making anymore faces.
"Dont tell her that..Im surprised she even took a sip of wine." Faustian said with a smirk that Heticate returned in kind with a withering look before a nod to Dom.
Heticate returned to her analytical stare as the subject of business was returned to. Her eyes alight with intelligence. She was SO ready. Faustian on the other hand seemed to relax. More than happy to let her father and sister focus on the words.

To an untrained eye she was bored, but to someone who knew her they would notice she was focusing on what was going on around them. Her hand never to far away from her side. They had come unarmed to a degree, but Faustian always had something to kill someone with even if it wasnt apparent at first glance.
Gilgamesh nodded and smiled in agreement.
"Yes, business before pleasure I think."
He set his glass on the table and regarded the otter man.
"I've naturally done some research on you, but I think I would rather hear it straight from you, mister Valentino."
He put his hands out in an open gesture referencing their surroundings.
"What is it you do here?"
Heticate nodded at her fathers question. She was a bit curious herself. Faustian ran an inn and a bar, which seemed to be plenty on the surface, but all of her underground operations were what made her such an asset....

Aside from being a killing machine and a razor sharp sense of loyalty...or lack there of.

It wouldnt be the apparent opperation that made Dom useful. It would be what he helped facilitate in the shadows..

Dominic looked over each one of his guests. To be completely honest, Heticate and Gilgamesh were unreadable to him. That really wasn't Dominic's specialty, so what they were thinking was completely foreign to him. Faustian was a bit easier to read. At least, he could recognize a similar body language to his own, the relaxed poise of a fighter who knew they could move quicker than anyone else if shit went sideways. It made him feel more comfortable that this group still felt a little suspicious, as any sensible person would be.

He held his arms out wide motioning to the entire room with a smirk. "This is just a simple tavern that I like to spend time at...As for my other ventures, you may recognize several construction groups that have me as their...patron. They are very good at building...and breaking things."

If there was one thing that Dom was confident about, it was his fighters. Other groups may have numbers or strategies, but no one could compete pound-for-pound against his fighters. They were powerful, and more importantly, loyal.

Of course, Gilgamesh knew about his face business. He wanted to know the real work.

"Every single demi-human that ends up in this city ends up in the slums. They eventually make their way to us. I...insure their safety, and in return, I receive support."

"Mr. Gilgamesh, I won't pretend to know everything in this city because I don't, but I do know one thing. No one else in this city can offer you the muscle that I can."

Dominic looked over each one of his guests. To be completely honest, Heticate and Gilgamesh were unreadable to him. That really wasn't Dominic's specialty, so what they were thinking was completely foreign to him. Faustian was a bit easier to read. At least, he could recognize a similar body language to his own, the relaxed poise of a fighter who knew they could move quicker than anyone else if shit went sideways. It made him feel more comfortable that this group still felt a little suspicious, as any sensible person would be.

He held his arms out wide motioning to the entire room with a smirk. "This is just a simple tavern that I like to spend time at...As for my other ventures, you may recognize several construction groups that have me as their...patron. They are very good at building...and breaking things."

If there was one thing that Dom was confident about, it was his fighters. Other groups may have numbers or strategies, but no one could compete pound-for-pound against his fighters. They were powerful, and more importantly, loyal.

Of course, Gilgamesh knew about his face business. He wanted to know the real work.

"Every single demi-human that ends up in this city ends up in the slums. They eventually make their way to us. I...insure their safety, and in return, I receive support."

"Mr. Gilgamesh, I won't pretend to know everything in this city because I don't, but I do know one thing. No one else in this city can offer you the muscle that I can."
Gilgamesh listened attentively. He made a bold claim, but one his research seemed to support. Their track record was nothing to sneeze at and Gilgamesh was cautious enough to not underestimate anyone at this point.

He nodded sagely as Dom finished his spiel.
Gilgamesh glanced meaningfully at Faustian then refocused on Dom.
"So you say, and I'm not one to doubt a man's word. But before I tell you what I can do for you, perhaps we could have a small demonstration?"
He smiled suddenly as if he just caught himself,
"Nothing lethal, simply let my daughter judge their strength and skill for herself. I trust her expertise on the matter."

He picked up his glass and sipped his wine again.
So this otter-man offered muscle, supposedly of the highest quality. That would take some of the burden off of Faustian and several of his other daughters, even if they thoroughly enjoyed being their own muscle on a given job.

• Devil
Reactions: Charity Briarthorne
Dominic's head slowly turned to look at Faustian and looked at her with a more assessing gaze. She looked like someone who could handle herself. A part of Dom's competitive spirit even drove him to be the one to test her skills, but this was not a test for him. This was a test for the Jungle.

"Fair enough. Let's see...Stub! You're up. Don't embarrass us."

A stout-looking man came rushing around the corning. He wore an apron, and had a body type similar to a dwarf, but had the animal characteristics of a pangolin, including the hard scales. However, where there was a clear spot of a long tail, instead a stub. It was all that remained from what was probably a prominent tail.

He hesitated and then bowed to all of the guests. A few more orders from Dominic soon had a small area cleared out for the short bout that was being planned.

Stub moved to the center waiting to see who he would be facing.