Private Tales The Raven Club Gathering

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Eilerias squeezed past Charity in the doorway and stumbled into Gwendolyn's archive. "Ms. Gwendolyn!" She exclaimed, staring at her with wide eyes. "You look unwell! Are you alright?" She looked nothing like she had a little while ago. The glamor was all gone and a shell of it was left behind. She walked in front of her desk and sat in one of the old chairs.

"Well, actually I wasn't here to check on your health." She responded, clearly not getting the joke Gwendolyn had made. "I just saw how you looked at me earlier and I needed to make sure you didn't the wrong idea." She was referring to the upset look she had when she noticed the bruises.

"I know you're busy and we have to leave, so I will be quick!" She didn't really leave room for Gwendolyn to respond before she continued. "It was all a misunderstanding. Someone broke into my home, mistaking me for Charity. It was an accident and I need you to know Isak didn't hurt me. He wouldn't do that." The last words came out a little broken. She wanted to believe he wouldn't hurt her, but he was sending her to her potential death for a sword. Her eyes met the floor, avoiding Gwen's hazy eyes. She didn't want Gwen to know she was unsure of Isak. She just wanted her to know the bruises were not a result of his hands.

"All that matters is that I'm okay, I stabbed somebody, and I'm ready to go get this sword." She faked a cheesy smile and stood up. "Now if you need healing, you know you can just ask right?" She stepped a bit closer to examine. "That's what you hired me for, remember?"

She left. Of course Eilerias wouldn't trust him, not if Isak was willing to send her alone into a fort filled with greedy mercenaries over some stupid sword. He did understand that, but it didn't make seeing her leave him alone at the club any easier, as Isak just stood there, dull and unemotional as he looked at his hand. She had turned her back and left, and he could still remember the pain coming from her words, the look in her eyes. Everyone left, like they always do, and it was just Isak alone with his schemes and the scent of wine coming from the bar.

Ogden didn't leave though, he never did, and it was his lousy voice that made Isak pause after a showing of frustration almost made him break the table in half. "Boss, what are ya gonna do? Ya can't just send Miss Eilerias to a bunch of merchs!" Isak's eyes were recovering their whiteness from the black smoke that covered them just seconds ago, when he felt the dark power coursing through his veins, letting his anger almost bring down not only the table, but the entirety of the Raven Club on his head.

He was a fool, letting his emotions best him once again.

Isak could taste the disdain coming from Ogden, well aware that the dwarf had his own reasons to not want Eilerias going into the Keep alone. He was a mercenary himself in the past, and he knew they would have no problems taking advantage of Eilerias if she went in alone, unprotected. But why would Isak care? He had only one job, to get that damned sword, and everyone knew that. They knew of the risks, they trusted his mind with the plan to do that, but why was his hazy thoughts trying to think of a million ways to not send Eilerias inside that fort, all by herself?

Isak wondered if the rest of the crew resented him for that plan as well. Gwendolyn probably hated him for it, that he was so calm in risking one of her best assets like that. Charity, on the other hand, was more worried about her 'grand entrance' through the sewers, although he knew she also cared for Eilerias and wouldn't want to see her hurt.

He tried to convince himself that everything would go down well, that she only had to wait for half a day for night to fall and use her powers to light up a signal. But why she had to be the one taking that risk?

Let her go. Carry on with your plan. Isak hated that voice inside his head, the voice that always sought to drive him towards a darker path, to a point of no return. 'What am I supposed to do now?' He thought, lost in the alleys of his complex mind and the feelings that almost overwhelmed him. Isak had his gloved hands upon the table again, his eyes scouring the details of those scrolls, looking at every inch of the maps and trying to figure out something, anything.

Realization lit up his face, and Isak quickly turned his head to look at Ogden. His gaze was fierce and his mouth set, almost looking like he was ready for a fight. "Change of plans. Tell Dhagren that I'll double his payment, but his mercenaries will have to act earlier."

Ogden trusted Isak with more than just the ownership of the Raven Club. He knew the man had a ruthless reputation, but also a brilliant mind and somewhat of a good heart, if you were on his good side. The dwarf nodded in agreement, he'd trust Isak to do the right thing.

Gwen simply sat stunned at the outpouring from this woman.

It didn’t stop.

Just words tumbling over each other in a flurry.

“Young one. I did not think Isak would be responsible. He knows I would kill him.” She said with a small shrug.

“I was more disappointed in both of you. He is to protect you when your under his care. He didn’t. You should be more aware of the evils in this world. You were not.” She said with a sigh.

“Not a massive blunder given your usual brand of naive stupidity but he needed reminding of what would happen if something like this repeated. People do not enjoy when I handle problems.” She said. Her eyes dimming slightly and a true feeling of silence washed over the room. A true weight of her words.

She blinked. She noticed the smile.

The forced enthusiasm.

She was doing this for Gwens benefit. She trusted Gwen to take care of her and Gwen had done her best...She forgot that Eilerias was not like the others. She wasn’t used to such rough business and blunt words. It was easy for the archive keeper to forget that. Her eyes and tone would soften as the girl offered to heal her.

“I’m sorry young one. My day has been one for the ages.” She said with another tired sigh. She took the healers hands into her own.

“You stood your own ground and took your own steps to defend yourself.” She held her hands and gave them a light squeeze. “I’m proud of you Eilerias, and knowing that you took steps even if unsuccessful..It eases my worry..” She said with a smile as her nose began to bleed from the other side as well. “But if you could see to me for a moment I would be grateful.” She finished with a final small groan of pain.

She was hiding it as best she could but Eilerias always knew her pain and tiredness levels. It was infuriating she knew her so well. She would grumpily squirm and allow the healer to touch her where she needed. Much like Charity it seemed an unspoken honor bestowed upon the two women she protected and kept under her wings.

Eilerias tried not to let it show on her face, but Gwendolyn's comments on her naivety and stupid actions always hurt her feelings. She didn't know her to treat Charity like that and it made her a little jealous of the relationship they had.

"I understand Ms. Gwendolyn." She responded to what appeared to be a threat, though she was not sure to whom it was directed to. "I will be more careful." Gwendolyn probably already knew that she couldn't help but act on impulse. It's what often got her into the trouble that Gwen had to get her out of.

She knelt down beside Gwendolyn and began healing her injuries. "I appreciate your kind words Ms. Gwendolyn." She thought about the moment she plunged the dagger into the stranger. "Can I ask you something? That dagger you gave me, did you do something to it?" She looked at her face, trying to figure out if she was going crazy or if Gwendolyn knew she'd be stupid enough to get into danger.

While she had Gwen in a position where she had no way to escape her questions, she decided to ask another after giving her some time to confirm or deny the dagger having an enchantment. "Have you ever been in love?" She didn't make eye contact as she asked, blushing a little from asking such a strange question to someone who never seemed like they cared for relationships beyond business. "I'm just... I don't know." She sighed as she continued working. "I'm sorry. That wasn't an appropriate question."

“Child wait a moment.” She said pulling her self up with a groan she fought to hide. All the years she had spent with her cycling through her mind. Wether Gwen liked it or not the girl had earned this. Meeting her at the door way she placed her right hand to the girls cheek to make sure she held her gaze. “I was a bit harsh today after the meeting. I apologize young one.” She said with true conviction. “But it is only because I care for you greatly as well.” She said somewhat stiffly
Charity squirmed as Gwen held onto her face. What the hell is she doing? "I-Its fine... Really. You scared me at first, but I know you only had good intentions." Charity said as she simultaneously tried to break out of Gwen's grip and gently nudge her back towards the couch. "Please... you need to rest. I'll see if I can get Eilerias to come check on-" She froze as Gwen wrapped her arms around her and pulled her into a hug.

"H-Hey! Wait! W-What do you think you're doing?" Charity protested. Suddenly she felt as if she was floating in a warm cloud that surrounded just her and Gwen. All the worry and stress about the job that she had been bottling up inside herself melted away. Feelings of joy, and peace, and calm, and others she couldn't even begin to identify surged through her. What is happening to me?! Charity was beside herself with these new feelings. Tears started streaming down her cheeks, and she hugged Gwen back as tightly as she dared, burying her face in the woman's robe to hide her tears.

Placing a gentle kiss on her forehead just as her mother had done all those decades ago. It was a tender moment for a woman with the personality of a rusty, steel, bear trap. “Be safe. Remember what I taught you, and return with a good story for my shelves will you?” She said with a soft smile

Charity reluctantly released Gwen, feeling as if she was letting go of something she might never experience again. She nodded, finding herself too emotional to speak and headed towards the door. With each step away from Gwen, the urge to run back into her arms grew stronger and stronger. Charity stopped as she reached the doorway. Looking at Gwen, she wiped her eyes. "I-... Thank you..." she said in a small quiet voice, lingering in the doorway for a moment before exiting.

As she walked home in a daze, Charity replayed that moment with Gwen over and over in her mind. Was that what it was like to have a mother...? Is a mother somebody who cares about you no matter what, and constantly worries for you? She wondered.

Before she realized it, Charity was home. She crawled into bed and buried herself in the blankets, her mind still spinning. Was that what 'love' felt like? A small contented smile spread across her face as she drifted off to sleep.

"I appreciate your kind words Ms. Gwendolyn." She thought about the moment she plunged the dagger into the stranger. "Can I ask you something? That dagger you gave me, did you do something to it?"

“I don’t know what you mean..” Gwendolyn said evasively. Her own eyes not meeting the girls. She had assumed she wouldn’t have the heart or strength to stab someone more than once so she had decided to make sure the single strike counted.

She had been correct in her thinking as well it seemed but after being a bit harsh with her she thought an “I told you so.” would just be cruelly driving a point home that had already been made. In reality she would be shocked if the man had survived what she had placed on the dagger.

If he had she assumed Isak would have taken care of him. It was the least he could do. As Elirias healed her Gwen relaxed. This lull was short lived as a question struck her like a mace to the back of the head.
"Have you ever been in love?" She didn't make eye contact as she asked, blushing a little from asking such a strange question to someone who never seemed like they cared for relationships beyond business.

Her eyes snapped open and she spluttered slightly. “I-Well..I..” She began lamely.

"I'm just... I don't know." She sighed as she continued working. "I'm sorry. That wasn't an appropriate question."

“N-no it’s alright.” Gwen said with a small dismissive wave. “I just wouldn’t expect you to ask me. It was decades ago, but I have.” Gwendolyn admitted slowly.

“He was young, handsome, powerful, charming, and exceptionally bright. We..” Gwendolyn trailed off.. That night..The blood moon hanging over them... The corpses surrounding them... Her eyes would seem to stare a million miles ahead.
“It’s just business Gwendolyn. You understand.” The words in her ear as the knife was jammed into her ribs. The blood tinged kiss placed on her lips. Her cough smattering his cheek and collar with flecks of blood.

His cold smile as he let her fall to the ground.

Blood pooling underneath her. Cleo screaming as she sprinted past him.

Darkness.

The room went cold.

Whispers filled the room as the doors behind them slammed shut. Darkness began to creep up the walls around them. True darkness black as pitch and winding up the walls.

Her illusion magic was powerful. But this magic was different. From another time. A time when Gwendolyn the archive keeper.

The information broker.

The mother.

Had been Gwendolyn the nightmare weaver.

The mind flayer.

Right hand and head operator for Ama-.

Her thoughts were cut short as as her eyes opened.

Showing thier usually sleepy, hazy grey was replaced with twin black pits. Small dots of purple the only markers of where her pupils had once been.

She saw the look on Eilerias face. She came to her senses instantly.

Her eyes returning to normal with a few blinks as the room filled with light once more and the darkness, whispers and chill seemed to fade from the room like a drop of water in a hot pan. As if the shift had lasted an eternity, yet was so quick it almost never occurred.

“It ended poorly..” She finished quietly.

Last edited:
She didn't know what she meant. Eilerias heart dropped as she tried to figure out whether or not Gwendolyn was lying to her. That means...the shadows...the darkness...it was back.

"So it was the shadows, then." She said quietly, thinking of the moment she stabbed the man. It didn't feel like she was controlling herself. It just happened as though someone else was controlling her. Someone who could actually bring themselves to kill somebody.

She tried not to look worried as Gwendolyn continued, speaking about her old love. After she trailed off in her story, Eilerias began to feel pain. She couldn't put a finger on it's location, but it was coming from Gwendolyn and it hurt.

"Ms. Gwendolyn are you alright?" She shook her gently as the room dimmed around them.

Then the whispers began. They weren't the whispers she heard. The language felt foreign and made her head ache as they got louder.

She watched in horror blackness began to creep up the walls and surround them. "Please...."Her voice was no louder than a whisper as she fell back and tried to push herself away from Gwendolyn. "Stop"

She covered her ears and shut her eyes as her own dark whispers joined in with Gwendolyn's illusions growing deafeningly loud.

"Cleo!" She tried to scream, but there was no way she could be heard of the chorus of whispers.

It stopped suddenly as she noticed Gwendolyn opening her eyes and looking at her. The room lit up and it was quiet again before she spoke. Eilerias was silent. She stared at Gwendolyn trying to comprehend what had just happened with a look of fear on her face.

"I...I need to go. I need some rest." She said suddenly, getting up and heading to the door, still in shock. She lingered there for a minute or so. "I must be tired because I'm hearing voices." She laughed softly before shutting the door behind her and heading back home. She wanted to go back to the Raven Club, but she didn't want to face Isak. Instead, she chose to spend her night scrubbing at the blood that had stained her floor until she fell asleep next to the dried puddle.

Isak's eyes hadn't left the papers for a single minute, going through every line, every drawing, every detail there was to uncover and memorize about the Black Forge Keep and its surroundings. Luckily, he could trust Gwendolyn with delivering the best information possible, which saved many troubles that he'd have to through, and she had been very thorough about that specific job. He wondered if it was something to do with the mysterious figure from earlier, the one called Gilgamesh. Isak wasn't a fool, he could realize that something was off about him and that whole situation from the moment he laid eyes upon the man, but his focus was elsewhere now.

It was on the schemes, the desperation to be as perfect as possible, to ensure that they wouldn't die on that job. To ensure that she wouldn't die, because of him.

Eilerias probably hated him now, and he deserved it. He had been close to gambling with lives, her life, for the sake of a stupid prize, something unknown and dangerous. A damned sword, that he knew nothing about save for its importance in ancient history. It wasn't his job to question, only to deliver answers, but Isak's nature had always been a inquisitive one. He wouldn't be where he was now if he wasn't a couple steps ahead of everyone else, which is why that whole mission had him on edge. The fear of the unknown.

His head was a painful mess, and Isak refused to get any rest or sleep until he was confident on his new plan, or the sketch of it at least. He was drawing lines all over the maps, still alone in the silence of the Raven Club's lobby while Ogden was putting away a few crates of wine that were left over at the basement.

Reinforcements, traps... He was thinking about it all. Enemy reinforcements could be tricky, since even with the support of the allied mercenaries, they would still be vastly outnumbered. As for traps, he knew Charity could evade most, if not all of them, or simply blow her way through, and with his change in the plans, Isak wasn't counting on discretion anymore. And knowing the nature of his crew, he doubted they would be able to conceal themselves the whole time anyway. Charity always blew her cover in their jobs, quite literally.

He had drawn all the possible positions that the mercenaries could occupy before their attack on the fort, to open a way for Isak and the crew to slip inside. It had to be a small siege, just enough to distract the guards, giving them enough time to grab the sword and leave while the guards thought they were under attack by forces seeking to ransack their gold coffers. It sounded easy enough on his head, but he would keep that plan away from the rest of the crew.

Let them think that his previous plan was perfect and that he wasn't troubled by the thought of Eilerias going alone to ensure that they had a way inside, that he hadn't changed everything just for her sake.

"Boss, Miss Eilerias got back. Should I put a few guards around her house, make sure there's no danger for her?" Ogden broke him away from his thoughts, and yet Isak didn't flinch from his papers. He wanted to go after her himself, but she needed her space. He wondered if she would ever forgive him for being such a heartless fool. Isak didn't even need to respond, just a quick glance at the dwarf and he knew that if Isak could put all his guards to watch her home and prevent another attack, he would.

Morning arrived, and Isak was still alone in the lobby, looking very much like a man who hadn't slept in days. He had managed to secure a ship that would take them all the way towards the coast near Elbion, and now he only waited for the rest of the crew to arrive at the Club and be ready to depart as soon as possible.

• Popcorn
  • Devil
Reactions: Sirius and Eilerias
Sirius was the first to walk in. He hadn't been very involved in the group, and he preferred it that way. Less connections, less danger. He'd get his pay then go. But they had a job to do first. And he needed to make sure he was ready.

"Mr. Lavelle." He said, "you don't look too good."

He approached the black-clad man and spoke. "Since you're here I'd actually like to clarify exactly what my role in this heist is. And what it is I should avoid doing under any circumstance."

Charity awoke early, the dim morning light only beginning to filter through her curtains. She groggily rolled out of bed and debated with herself on the best thing to wear for a boat trip. Eventually giving up, Charity threw on a loose green top that sat just off the top of her shoulders and a pair of shorts. She laced up her boots and grabbed her bag of supplies.

Still only partially awake, Charity stumbled the short distance to the Raven Club. "Mornin'..." she mumbled as she passed Isak and the strange red fellow.

"Oi. Ogden." Charity sleepily called over to the dwarf as she sat at a table near Isak. "Get me something to eat will ya?"

Eilerias woke up on the cold stone floor of her house next to the stain that remained for the blood. She was unable to get it all out with just a brush and water and must have fallen asleep while cleaning. She sat up and stretched, noticing the sunlight coming in through her window.

Must be time to set out, then. She thought to herself, enjoying a bit of the sun before she got off the floor. She stretched out, her body still sore from all the activities of the previous day and put on her favorite robes. They were simple, like most of hers, but a little less loose than her usual robes. She slipped on a pair of flat shoes and left with nothing but herself to offer the group.

She faked a cheery smile as she entered the Raven Club a little while after Charity. She was still upset with Isak, but didn't want the others to know she was scared of this heist. "Good morning!" She greeted Charity and Sirius, ignoring Isak's presence. She made her way over to the table Charity was sitting at and sat down next to her. "Sleep well?" She asked, looking over her outfit. "I feel like I may not be dressed for this. I've never been on a boat." She laughed a bit. "Do you think it will be hot?"

"Hey... Mornin' Angel."Charity said, giving Eilerias a sleepy smile. "You look like ya slept well!" She yawned lazily and stretched her arms. "You ready for an adventure? I'm gonna pretend I'm an old salty sea dog the whole time!" Charity giggled.

Charity couldn't help but notice that Eilerias was ignoring Isak. She couldn't blame the poor girl. After specifically asking not to be put in danger, he promptly ignored her request and planned to send her in on her own to the wolves. Charity just hoped that god of hers could protect her until the rest of them could join her.

"You'll be alright Angel. I've been to plenty of places like this on my own. It won't be as bad as you think." Of course she had completely different skill set than Eilerias and was very capable of defending herself. And she also wasn't a cute innocent priestess without much in the way to defend herself with. Charity knew Eilerias' role was the most dangerous. Who knew what the men inside would do to a defenseless woman like Eilerias? Charity had a pretty good idea, but tried not to think about it. She knew what she was saying wasn't entirely true, but she just wanted to try to ease the girl's worry.

Charity put her arms around Eilerias in what she hoped was a reassuring manner. "Don't worry. I'll come find you as soon as I get in." she said gently. "I'll even fight off any men who chase you!" Charity giggled, giving Eilerias' shoulder a gentle squeeze. "We'll be fine! I promise!"

Last edited:
As expected, Sirius had been the first one to arrive. Isak knew next to nothing of the man, but the way he carried himself and how little he spoke told him everything he needed to know about his professionalism. He was smart not to get tangled with other people, especially in a job like this.

"Appearances can be deceiving, Sirius." He answered bluntly, not caring for how he would've looked after getting no sleep for the whole night, his mind working on every angle of his plans.

Isak let his eyes linger upon the red man for a moment, before Charity entered the club, mumbling something with a deep sleepy voice. Ogden left the table to find her a strong drink to get her properly awaken and also arrange a few fruits for those who wanted to fill their bellies before the trip. Eilerias arrived soon afterwards, and Isak's gaze went directly towards her, but the woman did the opposite.

She only looked at Isak for a fleeting moment before taking a seat next to Charity, conversing with her about their clothes for the journey. He could still feel the fear and disappointment on her lips as she spoke with Charity about the job, still believing that she would put against her death by Isak's foolish plan. Charity tried to reassure her, to tell her lies that everything would be alright, even if she knew otherwise. Isak turned his head to look at Ogden as he offered them some water, his light brown eyes focused on Eilerias as she gently took the glass, feeling how nervous she was. Life was hardly fair, especially in a world like theirs, but if he could do anything to ease things for her, he would.

"That won't be necessary, Charity." He spoke suddenly, his rasp voice grabbing their attention while Isak evaded their looks of surprise to gaze towards the maps. "She won't be going alone. I will, with Sirius." He looked up to glance at the man, watching how his expression turned from surprise to curiosity and determination a flash. There was a man who took his work serious.

Infiltrating the keep as a pair of mercenaries, without any kind of backup, wouldn't be a easy job, but he hoped the guards would welcome any reinforcements to help in their duties. And Sirius' role in all this? If he could handle that massive weapon of his well, keeping them alive would be the most important part of the job.

Isak spread out the scrolls across the table, so that everyone could see the maps and sketches he had done over the night. There was a common theme in all of them - red tint, drawn into a circle over a blank spot that every map and drawing had. "Here." He pointed at them with his gloved finger. "There's a tiny blank spot on every map of Black Forge Keep, and I trust Gwendolyn enough to know that she would never make any mistakes with her information. It's not a mistake, this was deliberate. These spots were either not drawn in the maps in the first place, or they were conveniently erased from them a long time ago."

He let the room fall into silence for a short time, while everyone processed those new informations. "Hiding a mystical object in a simple room would be foolish, no matter how well guarded it would be. But in a room that never existed in the first place, in any map..." He crossed his arms, waiting for them to follow up on his thoughts. "This blank spot must be the place where the sword will be located. Eilerias wouldn't have found it on her own, not without risking her life. I wouldn't allow that." The last part was a excuse, Isak just couldn't say he didn't want to lose her because of his stupid decisions.

Isak let out a deep breath, before concentrating back on his plans. "Me and Sirius will infiltrate the keep, under the guise of mercenaries, just as before, only the priestess won't be there to greet us. Once inside, we'll open the sewers - that's your way inside, Charity, and Eilerias too. She'll go with you. Don't be slow, and the smell won't catch up to you." His lips formed into a short smirk for a moment, before Isak set his mouth again and continued. "We have to be fast, or we'll lose our window to look for the sword. If we time this right, it will give Ogden's friends enough time to get into position and begin the distraction. Once the guards are busy, we'll look for the sword. Grab it, and slip out the fort during the fighting, and no one will never know we were there."

He swiftly backed away from the table, crossing his arms again. He spent the early hours of the morning figuring out those last details, and especially the bit about the curious blank spot in the maps that he had missed before, but Isak knew that all the effort would be worth it in the end. "If there are no more questions, our ship will be waiting for us down at the docks. Is everyone ready?"

Eilerias giggled at Charity's plans. "What on earth is a sea dog? Is it like a fish dog?" She seemed bewildered at the thought of such a creature. "I wonder which part is which...or if it has fur!" She tried to keep up the happy façade, but Charity could read the poor girl like a book and knew she was having second thoughts.

"Promise you'll come get me right away." She looked at Charity as she hugged her, a few tears forming in her eyes. "Please." Eilerias couldn't help but worry as she imagined every angle of how she would enter the location unguarded. Who would believe the church sent an innocent little priestess to aid a bunch of barbaric men? "Promise." She repeated herself as Charity threatened to fight off the men who might be chasing her.

"Huh?" Her attention was drawn away by Isak. I'm not going alone? She stared at him, raising her eyebrows in confusion. What changed his mind? She wondered as he continued, still unsure of his motives. She watched as he spread out a map and pointed out some blank spot that held no significance to her.

Sewers? What the hell, Isak? Eilerias thought to herself. I think I'd rather risk my own life than stink of shit and whatever those barbarians throw in the sewers.

"Well, I guess you don't have to worry about coming back to save me then Charity." She gave a worried smile as she stood from her chair. "Come on, lets go! Maybe we will see those salty dog creatures on the way there!" She pulled Charity along with her out the front door, following after Isak and Sirius.

-----------------------------------------------------

It had been nearly a week since they set sail for Elbion. Eilerias spent much of it learning about some new, strange illness they called 'sea-sickness'. With her head over the side of the ship and Charity holding her hair back, she was delighted to finally see the coast of Elbion. "There!" She pointed, pushing herself back upright. "We are really here this time!"

There were multiple instances over the course of the week where she pointed to land and said the same exact thing, but this time she was right. They had finally reached the coast of Elbion.