Private Tales The Odd Couple

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Esten

White Witch of the Woods
Character Biography
Link
The village of Ghent was small, but its residents more than made up for that with their cheeriness and bustling about, making it seem as though one were not in a tiny settlement somewhere in Allir Reach, but instead closer to one of the larger cities. The scents of bread and meat mingled with the aroma of flowers, barely masking the pungence of animals and manure. People chattered, chickens clucked, hammers banged on anvils and wagon wheels rattled. Indeed, the village of Ghent was a lively place, and welcoming of everyone.

Well, almost everyone.

They didn't like outsiders much. If they were human, maybe. Relatives of someone from Ghent, then sure. Otherwise? You'd get a stink eye if you were lucky. The cold shoulder, perhaps. Denial of service, even. Food withheld, bed withheld, help withheld until you were forced out.

Unless you were Esten, that is.

She'd arrived here, twenty four years ago to be exact, and immediately established some ground rules. The witch would stay in her woods, coming into town only for supplies. The townspeople would only go to her cottage if they were in need of her services - and only if they could pay for it. Otherwise, she stayed out of their hair, and they stayed out of hers. It was a nice arrangement, really. Especially since everyone had, at one point, needed something from her. Not that anybody would admit it.

Not that she cared.

And only one person had broken the rules. One foolish young man, who had apparently thought challenging her was the way to earn the heart of a particular maiden. The next morning, his bed was empty save for a rooster who'd made itself at home. When questioned by the young man's father, Esten said nothing more except that she'd offered a choice, and he made one.

Truth is, the woman had broken into his room with the rooster she'd stolen from a farm, woke the man up and told him he could either skip town or turn into her feathered friend. He suddenly decided it was important to discover the world beyond Ghent and wouldn't you know it, there was a traveller heading north tonight in just under an hour.

Of course, the other villagers didn't need to know that.

Today, almost exactly twenty years after that fateful night, Esten strolled into town. Walking closely besides her was the mule she always borrowed from John Smithson, the blacksmith. Every week when she came into town she'd borrow it, and return the animal the next day. In exchange, the witch would use her magic to repair and strengthen his tools. It was a nice trade, and in her mind a balanced one. Even if she had to pick up the mule at dawn, before anyone else was awake. The witch softly clucked her tongue at the thought. These people were so caught up with their appearances, it was ridiculous.

But, oh well. It meant more gossip for her, and she didn't altogether mind anyway.

Today, the witch was dressed all black. Black boots, black trousers (skirts were easier to get caught on things out in the forest), black blouse, and of course a black cloak, lined with opalescent black feathers swaying with every step. Her long silvery hair was intricately braided on the top of her head, with the strands on her sides covering her ears. Esten's hair always covered her ears.

Faustus, meanwhile, was perched atop her staff, his head bobbing with her stride. The villagers were always complaining about his smell but honestly, she didn't think it was that bad. Sure, during the summer months the bird was a little ripe but, honestly? You got used to it.

The witch stopped in front of the baker's shop, her nose sniffing as much of the delectable scent as she could, ignoring the others who scurried away. “Your loaves smell lovely as always, Helmut.” The baker shot her a quick smile.

“What can I say, Lady Witch, I've got a magic touch when it comes to baking.” Eaten couldn't help but smirk at their little inside joke. At first, Helmut Kerrickson had been as standoffish and wary as all the others, his head filled with the (kinda true) stories about her. But when his wife fell ill, gravely ill, Esten was the only one able to bring her back from the brink of death. It was simple, really, at least in her mind. Just a mixture here and a few sigils there, and boom the woman was like her old self.

To repay her, Helmut had offered three fresh loaves per week for a year -- and a sort of respect that nobody else in the village could give her. They certainly weren't friends, she and the baker family, but the Kerricksons could sleep soundly at night knowing they'd be the least likely to fall victim to anything of hers.

“Indeed you do, baker. Where are the little ones today?”

“Hiding somewhere, likely. They kept playing in the flour, making a mess so I sent them out to help their mother. Don't know if they've made it that far, though.”

Vigil

• Yay
Reactions: Vigil
Ghent. Quite the name for a small village that was out of the way. More so, I knew the name only because of the sign a fair ways back. Showing that the village was up ahead in a Kilometer. The trodden "road" was barely more than a dirt trail being twisted and winding through the forest and out into the open. A few of the smaller carts came about and passed me as I rode upon my horse.

To be correct, the horse wasn't really mine. More so I borrowed it from a man who decided he didn't want to breathe anymore. Considering he had been following me and attacked me for the sake of stealing what little I had, I took everything he carried. Including his life. Sure, I could have let him go. However, my kind were not welcome... anywhere. If he went ahead of me and told them I was coming and that I attacked him, it would look really bad for me. Likely wouldn't even get a chance.

Now, I could have a slim one. Keeping my red hood up even in the rising sun, It was fairly hot, but the hood kept my pale skin from burning into the reds, and pinks of a sunburn. Even as I rode, rocking my hips in time with the gentle thudding of the shoes upon the dirt road, I tightened the bandages around my left arm. In the scuffle last night, he had slashed my arm open quite a bit. It was already red and filled with heat. Likely would become infected if I didn't find some kind of doctor soon.

Hence why I was headed towards this village. Even if I had to do the stitching myself, and pay for the supplies, I would live. Slowly the road widened for the width of two horses side by side. Likely used by carts that would then go off on their own paths out of town. As I was slowly coming into town, I could feel the eyes playing over my body, and the dark tan horse. The soft thuds slowly becoming more like clopping due to the ground being packed down after years of travel.

Lets just say that I kept my head down and had a fascination with my gloves as I entered the village of Ghent. If anyone saw my eyes, then I would be done for.

Slowly moving into town, I stopped by a man who was leaning up against a fence line chewing on something. Likely a tabaco product of some kind. Keeping my eyes adverted away from him, I leaned down only enough to grab his attention.

"You guys have a Doctor in town? I scuffed myself up good last night."
"Ye' Sir. Head ight on down to the middle of the road and turn left. Should be just past the stables."
"Thank you Kindly."
"Say stranger, what brings you here other than the doc?"
"Traveling. I have family up north of here."
"Oh? Might we know em?"
"Not likely sir. North by almost another two day's ride."
"Oh. Well good luck to you."
"As you."

Gently kicking the heels of my boots into the side of the horse, he trotted down the street. As much as this man may have been nice to me, it was a severe lack of knowledge that he had of my kind, and what truly happened. I killed a man last night, and I was moving through the place looking for work, or just anyone who could offer services of some kind. I doubted anyone here would accept me due to the small town. Everyone knows everyone. By the time I would reach the middle of town, more than half would likely know of my appearance.

Slowly taking the straps off of my daggers at the small of my back, as well as the shortsword I carried, I was prepared to defend myself if it happened to go south. Even so, I vaulted myself off of the horse. Reins tied up against the post in front of the stables where I patted the horse's face. Neighing at me in response, I walked off towards where it seemed the Doctor would be. Slowly opening the door to the establishment.

"Excuse me, do you guys have an open spot?"

Esten

• Yay
Reactions: Esten
After talking a little longer with Helmut, Eaten bade him farewell and moved on. She still needed to buy more chickens for Faustus - and fabric, too. Gods above, some of her clothes needed to be patched, else over the winter she'd be feeling the breeze in places she didn't want to. And perhaps the glassblower's place, too. She needed more vials, and besides which the witch enjoyed watching the woman work. Were it not that Eaten knew better, she would have sworn the glassblower used magic.

"What do you think, Faustus? Would you like a detour to the glass shop?" Her familiar simply let out a croak, feathers ruffled a bit. Esten smirked even as a shiver of worry traveled down her spine. She could tell that the spell was nearing the end of its life, which meant she'd have to renew it when they got home. Doing it while he was alive was much easier than waiting until after the spell ran its course.

"Come along Faustus," she said, and continued on her way.

As she walked, Esten ignored the usual whispers and glances like she always did, at least until her ears picked up on something interesting.

"....stranger on a horse..."

" ...came in not too long ago... "

"...asking after the doctor, seems he was hurt..."

" ...red hood, how odd... "

When the small group noticed the witch watching them, they immediately fell quiet and dispersed. So a stranger has come, she thought to herself, and he is odd enough to catch the attention of these simpletons. Clearly, she needed to investigate.

"Faustus, change of plans. I believe I'm feeling a little sick today, time to see the doctor!" With a yank on the rope leading the mule, the witch and her bird made their way to the local doctor's house.

Vigil

I heard some voices in the back. Speaking of someone at the front door. In walked a young lass. Likely no older than myself, and was potentially being taught of medical practices. She looked up at me with a smile that she could try and keep for her "customer" and then stopped. Seeing the Silver eyes of mine, and my side clutched. Mouth agape as though to speak, but nothing came out. I smirked lightly as she took a step back.

"Look, I just want to be stitched up, and some herbs to keep the infection down. I pay you whatever is needed for the supplies and the labor. I am not looking for trouble."

The lady stared at me not moving. Unsure what to do when an older gentleman walked out and was asking what was going on. He looked me over and snarled his lips. Repeating my words, the old man looked me over.

"Your kind breed trouble. You need to leave. Now."
"How about this. Give me the supplies to mend myself, and I'll be on my way."
"Leave. I will not service your kind."
"Sir, I'll pay double what you require. I just need to be stitched up."
"GET OUT!"

The roaring voice he brought up, guttural and filled with not anger, or hatred, but fear. Fear of what might happen. I really hated having to do this. I would rather not put more people's lives on the line, but I needed at the very least, a needle, wire, and some herbs. I reached behind me to start pulling out one of my long-knives. However, I heard the door behind me starting to open. Releasing it quickly, I just pleaded again.

As soon as this person was dealt with, I would have to send them a message that I was not leaving without my equipment. Yes, I would still pay them, but not the double price I had offered merely a second ago.

"I swear upon the Gods, I will be out of your hair if you just stitch me up, or give me the meds."

Esten

At the sound of the doctor yelling, Esten couldn't help but glance at her familiar. Something was certainly going down. Straining her ears, the witch heard an unfamiliar voice begging for treatment. She smirked. If he were an outsider - and not human, as the woman was beginning to suspect - then there was no way Doctor Xenophobe would treat him. (No, Xenophobe was not the doctor's real name. Esten just had little use for him, and as such never bothered to remember what his name was.) A plan forming in her mind, she tied the mule up outside and walked forwards.

"Go on, Faustus," she whispered to the crow, opening the door. "Check out our new friend."

With a squawk and a rustle of feathers, the bird flew into the room. At the same time, Esten pressed two of her fingers to a spot on her forearm. Underneath the fabric was a sigil she'd drawn on that day, a glamour sigil to make her appear more...intimidating. Rarely did she have to use it, but the witch never went into town without making sure she'd drawn it onto her skin. Concentrating, Esten could feel the tingling denote the activation of the spell, and smiled. She would probably only have a few minutes, but that's all she needed.

The witch stepped forward, her stance strong as the magic coursed through her veins. Golden eyes flashed as she surveyed the room. Doc Xen stood beside one of his assistants, both reeking of fear. The stranger, a young man with black hair marked by a white poop stain from Faustus (damn bird), stood with his back to her. And there on his arm was a wound, quite evidently in need of treatment. The same treatment their dear doctor was refusing.

Oh yes. She was so, so very glad to have stepped in.

In as cold and soft a voice as she could produce, Esten asked, "My, my, my. I'm surprised at you, Doctor. Perhaps your greed does have a limit, after all."

"I d-don't -- I don't--" Words were temporarily failing him, prompting Esten to be nice and help him out.

"What was that?" the witch purred. "You don't serve my kind? You don't serve our kind?" She stepped forward, glancing again at the man and catching sight of his eyes. Ah. A Kavosh. Things clicked in place, and she could barely suppress another smile. It'd been years since Esten had a run in with a Kavosh, but from what she knew, it'd be nice to have one indebted to her.

"He's not my kind, you can tell by the eyes. But I can, and will, still claim him." She turned fully to the man. "What do you think?"

Vigil