Private Tales The Long Way Down

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Elijah

Captain of the Pegasi
Character Biography
Link
Oh.

Elijah swallowed his embarrassment. Of course she would know what Patas was, he was sure that the Bursar's had much fancier restaurants for such ways of eating. He quickly shoved the feeling aside and blustered through an explanation of the food instead.

"Lamb," he said gruffly then cleared his throat. "Seasoned and spit roasted slowly for 24 hours," he put a little bit of it on her plate and managed a warm, shy and tentative smile. "Try a bit. It goes well with this," he added a bit of yellow rice to her plate too before heaping some on his own. "That is oyster sauce on the beef with mushrooms," settled into the explanation he launched on to a full description of all the dishes which ranged from vegetable dumplings, noodles and rice dishes to seasoned potato cubes in white wine sauce, and a variety of meat and fish dishes.

"The crayfish is one of my favourites. Dharrin flame chars it on the open fire out back," he offered her one of the skewered parcels of food.

Lyssia D'avore

Lady Fae
Character Biography
Link
She looked upon the man while his words washed over her, a pleasant litany of edible things that she listened to with half an ear. She tried a bite of the roast and rice, and had to admit to herself that it tasted delightful, the meaty flavor of the roast mellowed somewhat by the lightly seasoned rice. It was a shame there wasn't a decent red wine to be had here, for it would have gone splendidly with that dish.

She took another bite and set her utensil down, raising both hands in a warding gesture. "There is too much for me to try more than a little of some of it," she said. Even as she said it, she imagined his embarrassed reaction to the admission that her petite size also came with a petite stomach. She was forced to school her face to stillness at the image evoked in her head, and this time simply schooling it was not enough. She bit her lip, but it couldn't hide the coloring of her cheeks. "This..this would take me a week to....to eat," she said, struggling with herself to not laugh at the silly image in her head.

• Smug
Reactions: Elijah

Elijah

Captain of the Pegasi
Character Biography
Link
Elijah huffed a laugh at the picture she painted made all the more funny by the fact the amount of food he had ordered was what he usually ordered... for himself. He ran a hand through the strands of his dark hair as the realisation hit him which only made him laugh harder. The Captain's laugh was an infectious thing and a few people turned to look in their direction almost as if they hoped to share in what had brought such joy to the large man. He shook his head slowly as the laughter died.

"When Dharrin asked if I wanted the usual, he meant... what I order for myself," he explained to let her in on the joke then chuckled again, giving a slight wriggle of both brows. "Eat what you want, nothing will go to waste don't you worry," he grinned and demonstrated his words by wolfing down the mountain of food that was already on his plate.

• Bless
Reactions: Lyssia D'avore

Lyssia D'avore

Lady Fae
Character Biography
Link
When he lost it, so did she. Although they laughed for different reasons, it was cathartic nonetheless. The admission that he could have eaten everything on that table only served to heighten the difference between them, and the image of him stuffing his face - on its own not enough to cause mirth - extended the gale of laughter for several minutes longer than it should have gone on for.

She wiped at the tears in her eyes as aftershocks of mirth rumbled through her. She became aware of the attention from others around them, and for a very brief moment shrank back at it out of embarrassment. And then she remembered who she was, and what she had been trained all her life to deal with, and sat straight with both hands on her lap. It didn't hide the color under the freckled cheeks, nor the light in her eyes.

"I...haven't done that in longer than I can remember," she said quietly as she primly picked up a utensil, fiddling with the rice on her plate but not actually eating any of it. "It felt....good," she added. She didn't know if she should feel guilty or relieve; guilt for being able to feel such happiness, such mirth, or relief that she could still feel it at all.

• Cthuulove

Elijah

Captain of the Pegasi
Character Biography
Link
"Yes... it does," Elijah wasn't sure when he had laughed so hard either. Well, no that was a lie. He could remember when he had last laughed like that because it was the reason why he had thought he would never be able to do it again. Especially not with someone else. That same mix of guilt but... joy consumed him for a moment. In the past it might have even consumed him and he would have made an excuse to leave but... something Lyssia had said earlier made him stop on the edge of that pit.

"I think... it is what we both needed," he gave her a hesitant smile as though he still wasn't sure he was allowed to do such a thing. "It's been a tough few days," he ran a hand through his hair and relaxed into the smile a bit more at the tiny joke.

Something seemed to ease in the atmosphere between then and for the first time since meeting her Elijah relaxed, turning his attention back to the food in front of him.

"So... what's your favourite?" he motioned to the dishes.

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Lyssia D'avore

Lyssia D'avore

Lady Fae
Character Biography
Link
She felt strangely awkward all of a sudden, and floundering to find words she quickly tried to escape by trying a bit of the lamb and the rice. Savory and delicious, it was nearly as good as the rich fare that had been provided at home whenever guests had been present. She always quite likes both lamb and rice, when prepared properly, and said as much.

"These," she indicated on her plate. "We did not eat except when company was over, so it was not a thing we had very often," she said by way of reply. Weariness had crept into her voice, completely unawares. It was as though the laughter had bled a poison from her soul, but once that tension had been stripped from her, the need to rest - the one he had been so adamant about her doing before they left his humble home - had come crashing back twice as hard. Now aware of it, she pushed back on it as hard as she could.

"I would ask which is yours, but seeing as you would eat all of this yourself..." She looked up at him, clear eyes - a touch red-rimmed, dark circled - trying to imagine where he would put all of it.

• Nervous

Elijah

Captain of the Pegasi
Character Biography
Link
Elijah's cheeks turned a fetching shade of beetroot.

"Ah, well," he rubbed the nape of his neck again in that gesture that was so clearly one of his go to movements when he felt awkward or embarrassed. Most people had such a thing for it was hard to keep still when you wanted to hide. The Captain shot her an almost apologetic grin before he motioned to the prawns on a skewer. "If I had to pick one though, it would be these. I love seafood and the prawns they get fresh every day. When I was little, as a treat, my mother would take me very early in the morning when they brought in the catch. We would buy a pot between us and sit on the harbour wall, peeling the shells off and eating them raw as we watched the boats come in," he could still taste the oceans salt air in every prawn because of that memory.

He picked one up and devoured it practically whole. There wasn't much left of what had started on the table, having done what he had threatened to do from the start and clear it mostly by himself.

Still, he hadn't missed the tiredness in her eyes. So knowing what he did about her pride instead of addressing it directly he merely said;

"A lot of food though makes me pretty tired so after I hope you don't mind if we head back?"