Private Tales The Legend's Heir

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
A tingle ran up her arm at the brush of his rough callused skin against her smooth palm. The gem in his hand thrummed and Sera's eyes half closed in bliss as its song wafted through her senses. It was even worse now there were two pieces of it neatly fitted together as though it had never been broken. When he drew away she felt a sudden coldness as the magic went with him. She looked down at the purse in her hand humbly.

"Thank you," Violet beamed and glanced to her friend.

"Yes... thank you..." she said faintly and then; "you joined the shards." She slid into the empty seat beside him to look at the jewel closer. Everything else was forgotten but that sweet feeling online ecstasy when it was near.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Solgrin
"I did." He kept his palm open, though he prepared to move it away in case she went to touch it.

The magic could be channeled without her actually making contact with the gem, a fact that he would not yet divulge to her, but when she touched it the connection would be more powerful. Best not risk it in a place like this.

He motioned for Violet to sit in the chair on the other side of him, and then called out a brief word to the waitress so that both girls could have something to drink. "They are safer together than apart."

Solgrin explained.

"Sort of like you too." the Bandit Chief commented idly.

• Nervous
Reactions: Serafina
It was mesmerising. The reds, oranges, white and almost black spots all swirled together in an enchanting manner that reminded Sera of lava flow. She barely noticed Violet sitting as she bent her head over his hand and watched curiously. How could something like this hold the power to destroy the world? It was too beautiful...

His words broke through her dreamlike state and she looked up at him. For a moment their eyes connected. What he said was an echo of that moment in the forest when she had been at her most vulnerable. Was he trying to subtly tell her he was displeased she had been shopping all day alone? The moment stretched on, her eyes of sapphires staring into hues the colour of a setting sun.

"Sol-" she began, leaning forward slightly until...

"Sera, the music is about to start and I insist I claim the first dance," Luka grinned and flourished an elegant bow before scooping up her hand in his. Her eyes tore from his to look up at Luka and the complex cocktail of emotions that had swam in her eyes was replaced with delight as she was swept onto her feet.

• Sip
"Go." Solgrin said with a dismissive wave, wearing half a smile.

There was seemingly no anger in his being interrupted, for of course there was nothing to be angry about. His hand closed into a fist, and he motioned to Violet. "Don't forget this one, she'd be awfully bored with just me for company."

Before they stepped away and out of the Inn completely though Solgren spoke up towards Serafina

"We'll talk more of the gem when we reach the Fortress." When it was not so dangerous.

With that he seemed to return his attention to what he had been doing.

• Wonder
Luka most certainly did not forget Violet who he bowed in front of and took her hand too. With a girl on each arm he began to lead them out of the hall with more than a few envious looks thrown his way. Sera half turned when Sol called out to her though and didn't stop looking at him until the door shut behind them. Was he going to let her practise channeling so she didn't get burnt out in a matter of moments? Would he let her hold the magic herself?

The inn door shut and she sighed, turning her attention back to the here and now instead. A large fire had been built and the music had already started up. When Violet appeared another of the Bandits was over in a flash to ask her for a dance and the group were off.

They barely stopped for the next three hours until Sera begged to sit down complaining of her leg. She had danced the most with Luka but soon others had been eager to have a go and she found herself dancing with most of the town and half the Bandits. But even though the brace might have allowed her to walk and dance but the pain came if she pushed too hard. Luka sat her gently down then disappeared to get her some food. Even in the cool night her forehead and chest glistened in sweat. Her eyes closed and she let her head drop back, blonde curls spilling almost to the floor. When she heard footsteps and smelt the delicious scents of hog roast and sighed happily.

"About time, I'm so famished I could eat the whole pig."

• Devil
Luka placed the plate down besides her with a bright beaming smile.

Most of the Bandits were still dancing, eating, doing whatever they could to actually relax for any length of time. This was something that they had all been looking for, something that Solgrin had promised them in the days after the maw, even before.

This was the one time they could have fun, the one time they were the good guys. It was apparent on their faces, the way they moved, danced. There was true joy in the air, happiness.

"Ain't so bad, really." Luka said with a broad, beaming smile.

He looked over at Sera, slowly reaching for a knife and fork and cutting off a piece of the pork he had brought over and offering it to Serafina. There was a cheeky grin on his face, a smile that spoke of mischief and something a bit more.

Violet was still off dancing, forgetting, at least momentarily, her tormentors from the week before.

• Popcorn
"If you say so," Sera didn't take her eyes off the festivities in front of her and a smile tugged at her lips despite her words. It was easy to think it wasn't so bad, that her and Violet were a part of the group and not just prisoners with a longer leash. She felt Luka join her at the table and turned when he presented the food. A coy smile was her only response before leaning forward and eating the offered forkful of food.

"I could definitely get used to this bit," she rested her chin on her hand and took the next offered mouthful with a soft groan. They had been eating nettle or rabbit stew for days. Hot pork was such a treat.

"Why can't we just stay here if it's so nice?"

• Popcorn
"I don't know." Luka said with a shrug, looking for all the world like an innocent boy who was just along for the ride.

It didn't seem like he knew much of anything, like his own situation was not that much different than Serafina or Violet. Yet there was a joy to him, whether fake or real was hard to tell but as he popped another piece of food into his mouth he simply shrugged.

"We never stay here for long." Luka told Sera. "A few days at most."

He looked over towards the Inn were Solgrin was. "Think he probably worries about the town."

Luka said with a smile, then looked down at Serafina, his smile growing a bit more lascivious.

• Smug
Sera stole the fork whilst he was distracted and began to help herself to some of the plate that was piled high. Her father would have been proud of the cook; pig was a difficult thing to cook with different bits roasting at different speeds. Everything was tender and the crackling crisp yet melt in the mouth. She gave her friend a shy look when he looked back towards her and half the plate was gone.

"Why does this place mean so much to him?" She brushed a strand of golden hair behind her ear and stole another bit of crackling. "You wouldn't think they even knew you were Bandits the way they're acting with you all," her eyes flickered to the dancing. Violet was being swept along by a tall, dashing figure she recognised from the market. The florist, she thought. There was a group of envious men glaring at her partner and Sera covered her mouth to stifle a giggle.

• Sip
Luka seemed to hesitate for a moment, then shrugged his shoulders as if he had reached some sort of decision in his head. "He came here after he was thrown out of the Kingdom."

The boy explained, looking down at the plate of food with an oddly familiar smile on his face before he shifted and sat himself down besides Serafina. There was an easy coolness to Luka, a relaxed sort of stance that spoke volumes of his confidence.

"He, Maria, and some of the others." He continued to explain. "They protected the Village from a local tribe of Gnolls, kept peace when other bandit groups came through."

His head shook. "Makes for a pretty good base of operation, with the plains on one side and the Mountains on the other."

The explanation made sense, and Luka gave it almost as though he'd been there.

• Thoughtful
Now they had been sat for a while Sera was beginning to feel the chill against her skin and so when Luka sat down she inched closer for warmth. It was a nice moment as he spun her the tale and they watched bandits, villagers and prisoner all mingle together in front of the fire. The world seemed to exhale and relax. Even the clouds had disappeared revealing a blanket of stars above them.

"You're almost convincing me he is a tiny bit human," she mused and rested her head on his shoulder with a sigh. They both knew her position in the band even if she was being allowed more and more freedoms. At the end of the day Sol would do what he wanted to her to ensure he got the power he desired.

"Why do you follow him Luka? You seem sweet, you could get a job anywhere in the world. Why... why this..?"

• Sip
There was a pause, almost as if he considered the answer.

"Everyone has their demons, Sera." The boy answered finally, growing somewhat more solemn as he glanced over to Solgrin for a few seconds. A strange look crossed his features, and he shook his head. "Some of us have done just as bad, or worse, than him."

The young man seemed to hesitate for a moment, then looked back over to Serafina. His bare fingers brushed over her hand.

As he moved, in the bare firelight she might spot the small hint of a mark upon his flesh. "We should go somewhere more private."

Luka said as he stretched slightly.

"I can barely hear myself think out here."

• Nervous
"I... should probably be going to bed, actually," Sera sat up and brushed a hand down her dress. Luka had proved to be a nice person and she had enjoyed his company immensely over the last few days but the idea of being alone with another man again filled her with absolute horror. Like a tide the panic rose inside of her and she quickly stood up, throwing her friend a shaky smile.

"Goodnight Luka, thank you for a lovely evening," she gave a little curtsy and then began to head back inside the inn with a hand pressed to her stomach in a vain hope it would ease her nausea. When she turned back she could see Violet was already trying to claim him for another dance.

She slid through the crowds murmuring apologises but nobody paid her a second glance and she reached the bottom of the stairs with ease. She barely saw them though, her mind flickering back to the forest and Ari's tormenting words.

• Popcorn
As Serafina was making her way across the open center of the town and towards the Inn she would find Solgrin sitting besides the door on the bench.

There was a mug of ale sitting besides him, and a hound laying across his feet as if it had decided the Bandit's boots would make for the most comfortable bed in the world. As Sera approached Sol lifted the cup, taking a sip of his ale.

"Enjoy your night?" The Bandit Chief asked her, placing the cup back down.

The dog at his feet seemed to lift it's head for a moment, peering up at Serafina as if checking whether or not she was some sort of danger.

After a moment it seemed to decide she was not, and laid back down again.

• Nervous
In a world of her own she hadn't noticed Sol besides the inns door and almost jumped out of her skin when he spoke. Her hand fluttered to her chest as though she could somehow keep her heart from leaping out if her breast. She half leaned against the door and sucked in a deep breath before fixing him with a wary look. With the dog at his feet she could almost imagine him in some grand manor before a roaring fire, doting wife bringing him his ale.

"It was a pleasant... opportunity," she said pointedly before turning and placing her hand on the doorknob. With a twist the door swung in to reveal the empty common room. Everyone was by the fire. "Why aren't you with the others?" She frowned and glanced back to him, hesitating on the threshold.

• Popcorn
For a few seconds Solgrin considered, taking another slow sip of his ale and looking over to those who were running around by the fire. "Sometimes it's best to let them forget me for a little while."

He told her finally.

"For most of them it's hard to see me as anything other than what I am." The Villagers could do it, they saw the man and not the title, but most of the Bandits still had that same tension no matter where they were or what they were doing.

It was a fact that held true even in the army, when he had been a general among Soldiers rather than a Chief among a tribe of misfits. He stayed clear to let them have their fun, so that no one thought he was watching or looking for errors.

There was silence for a moment, then Solgrin looked up at Serafina. "I would be careful with Luka. He is not exactly what he seems."

• Cthulhoo rage
"Like you, I suppose?" Sera snapped. The whole image he was trying to present to her in that moment enraged her. He couldn't pretend to care about his men after she had seen him sacrifice them like they were scraps off his plate. Luka couldn't tell her he wasn't a demon because he sat there with a dog that didn't flinch away from him. He had beaten her, strangled her near to death, taken everything from her and told her she should be grateful for it.

Anger rolled off her in waves.

"Don't worry, I haven't forgotten what any of you are," her frosty words were muttered with another glance back towards the party before pushing the door open and going inside. It suddenly wasn't fun anymore.

• Popcorn
"More like me than you'd think." Solgrin said as he leaned back against the wall and took another sip.

The words would echo just far enough for Serafina to hear, though the door closed behind her with a solid thud just a second later. Solgrin didn't move to chase after her of course, and his head shook as he settled onto the bench more comfortably.

Celebrations dragged on for the rest of the night.

There was more drinking, more dancing, but eventually people began to turn in. Violet stumbled her way back only an hour or so after Serafina, giving Solgrin a lingering look as she passed by him on her way inside. Not long after that the other others began to disperse.

Some simply slept in the town center.

Solgrin himself lingered until the bonfire went out, eventually retiring to his own room.

• Cthulhoo rage
Sera tossed and turned throughout the night as her thoughts plagued her like a swarm. The mattress was comfortable but no matter how she lay there was some lump she found to complain about or found herself too hot or too cold. In the end she was even finding herself irritated by Violets gentle snoring and called it quits. She pushed herself off her bed and got dressed in one of her new thick woollen dresses that was a lovely shade of burnt orange then made herself quietly out of her room.

In the first rays of pinkish dawn the town lay quiet. Nobody met her in the inn downstairs and nobody stopped her as she slipped outside into the frosty morning. For a moment she breathed it in. The lingering smoke on the air, the faint odour of food and drink. It settled her anxious mind enough that when she stepped from the shadow of the doorway she left a little of her anger behind.

First of all she stopped at the nice tailor and left the sack of coins carefully on his side doorstep in the mailbox. It was important that he got his money and it was weighing on her mind she hadn't even able to give it to him last night. Then her limp took her to the stables where the wargs had been kept. Several raised their heads as she made her way down the line but they didn't snap at her anymore; they knew her smell. She snuck her mount some of the left over pork, gave him a fuss and then left once more.

Restless feet took her up and down the town until she somehow found herself on the walls themselves. The views were breath taking and she found herself relaxing at last. With a soft sigh she propped her elbows up on the stone battlement and watched the sun rise.

• Sip
By the time the sun came all the way up groans began to echo within the town.

Many of the bandits and townspeople who had fallen asleep in the center of the village were being pushed awake by the rays of sunlight. A few others stumbled from their homes with hangovers, and there were women walking around either kicking their husbands or shouting at people to help clean.

It was an amusing sight, and Solgrin once again found himself sitting on the same bench he had been perched on the night before. "Catch a good nights sleep, Luka?"

Solgrin asked as the boy stepped outside.

He seemed to freeze a second, his body stiffening as he stopped and looked over at Solgrin. His expression was slightly strange.

"I did sir. I was going to go find Serafina, she wasn't in her room."

"Huh." Solgrin said with a shrug. "Well I'm sure she's around here somewhere, try the wall."

He said plainly, then took a sip from his mug.

Luka seemed to linger, his eyes settling on Solgrin for a moment more, and then a curt nod as he stalked off.

• Nervous
A cold but gentle wind blew the hair back from Sera's face and she closed her eyes with a content sigh. Up here, watching the way the wind made row upon row of blades of grass bend to its rhythm, she felt the most at ease she had since she had been kidnapped. It was also the first time she had been alone, properly alone. Sure she had had moments in the camp where she had had nobody to talk to whilst Violet was fighting for her life, but she had still been surrounded by people. Up here there was noone.

She looked down at the ground on the other side of the wall and wondered how much it would hurt if she landed wrong. There was still the issue of Violet being stuck here but if they were here for a few more days like Luka said, she could bring her friend back here one morning and they could---

The sound of footsteps on the stone made her turn and glance over her shoulder.

"Morning," Sera kept her voice light and carefree before glancing back put over the landscape. "I couldn't take Violets snoring any longer and came up here for some quiet," she explained while her hand slid into her pocket. Last night whilst nobody had bothered she had taken a knife from the kitchen and her fingers wrapped casually around the hilt.

There would be no repeat of what Ari had tried.

• Popcorn
"Yes I could hear her through the walls." Luka lied, stepping up besides Violet and leaning on the parapet.

He looked out for a few moments, remaining quiet.

The people in the town were moving more now, conversation began to echo out, and things began to move as usual. After a few minutes of silence Luka cleared his throat, a hand running up through his hair and across the stubble of his chin as though he wasn't quite used to it. "We should probably get breakfast, eh?"

He told her.

"Otherwise it will all be gone." Luka prodded gently. "Especially with Violet, I've seen how she eats."

• Bless
His suggestion startled a laugh out of her and she let go of the hilt of the knife. Guilt tore through her for even thinking he would do such a thing. He had been there when Violet wasn't able to be and had been a shoulder to cry on. He had been nothing but respectful, showing kindness. He wasn't like Sol at all and she cursed the chief for having even gotten into her head over it.

She looped her arm through his.

"Yes, let's. She's terrible with a hangover so if we Hurry we might be alright," Sera smiled and began to walk back down the steps with him. It was a lot busier than when she had gone up and she waved every now and then to the people if they called out her name in greeting.

By the time they returned Solgrin was no longer sitting on the bench outside of the Inn, instead he had taken up a place at the largest table inside of the Common Room. Violet was already sitting there, on her left was Jera, a big bear of a man who had not said a word in three years.

Though utterly silent, he had taken on a role of guardian for Violet.

No one had thought to ask him why, but it seemed the arrangement was not entirely unwelcome after Violet's own encounters with Ari. It was not as it was with Luka of course, Jera didn't speak or really tried to befriend. He was simply there, often helping with setting up the girls tent and other small tasks.

Luka lead Serafina over to the table, letting her sit besides Violet and him taking up another spot. "See you already ate half the banquet."

The young man commented jokingly.

• Popcorn
"Don't I cant even think of food," Violet groaned and put her head on top of her folded arms which were resting atop the table. She made a few muffled noises of pain and Sera sympathetically rubbed her friends back then made her a strong tea when the pot was passed down. All she got for her troubles was a noise that might have been a thank you if gremlims spoke the common tongue. Shrugging, Sera left her to it and went about stalking her plate high enough to clear the other half of the banquet out.

For such a small person she could put a lot away.

"Do you fancy going for a ride later? I think Nipper needs a run, he was so excitable this morning."

• Devil