Open Chronicles The Lady's Feast of Midwinter- Tournaments, Feasts, Revelry! (Thread #1 of the Quest for the Lady's Chalice"

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Sera Isoletta

Music

Estate of the Nameless House
Allirian Reach
A Week Before Midwinter

Long before the family of the Nameless house lost their family name, they celebrated the Lady's Feast of Midwinter, a tradition dating back into the farthest mists of time. It was a time of peace and welcome to celebrate the Lady and her bounty. Doors were flung wide and a two-week celebration was held. Feasts lasted until dawn every night, save for Midwinter's night itself, while the days were filled with contests and revelry.

This year was no different. Sera Isoloetta, youngest daughter of the Nameless House buzzed with anticipation as dawn approached. Recently knighted, the Elf-maid stood watch above the gates. The biting wind nipped at her cheeks and chilled the armor she wore, while the men-at-arms patrolling the walls shivered beneath their cloaks. Isoletta rubbed her hands together, but it made no difference to the chill seeping into her bones.

To the East, the first glimmer of sunlight crept above the horizon, spreading a dainty finger of light across the land towards them.

"Open the gates!" Isoletta called below to the servants in the courtyard, which was already bustling and full of activity. "The sun has arrived!" Her musical voice floated across the hubbub and cheers of excitement broke from the people loitering below, followed quickly by a rapid increase in movement. The Lady's Feast had begun as it had every year thousands of untold years. Only her house preserved this ancient tradition and the rituals associated with it.

Guests would begin arriving and the guest-rooms in the castle would fill up before spilling out into the surrounding town. No great city, by any means, but enough to serve for this event and the year-long business it required to stockpile enough supplies to last through the week. Invitations had been sent months in advance-- to Elbion, to Alliria, to Vel Anir, to Belgrath and Fal'Addas. Messengers riding swift horses and clad in silver robes with the emblem of the Nameless House on their banner. Some of the guests had already begun to arrive, as long-travel distances dictated, and they were welcomed warmly. Yet by custom, the gates were not flung open until the first finger of sunlight moved past the horizon the week before Midwinter.

Others, uninvited, had come as well, for word spread. Musicians, jugglers, acrobats, magicians all began to flow into the castle and town to make their living performing during the great party. Some were hired by the Nameless House to perform at the feasts, but others made there way with no intention of entering the castle. Instead, they would perform in the streets and the few inns. Most of the adolescents in the town had been hired to work at the feasts, rotating through so they all had time to celebrate.

Her watch now over, Sera Isoletta waited for her relief and then made her way back down the steps to the courtyard, fighting off a yawn from her weariness. There was time for a brief sleep, to leave her refreshed for the day's events. Today was the great riddle-contest and it would last from midmorning to almost sunset. Longer if there were those exceptionally skilled in the art. She was no scholar or sharp-minded wit, but could hold her own decently enough. Not well enough to be crowned as the Lady's Riddle-master for the week. That normally went to one of the bards or sages that came to visit.

She went to her chamber and bathed quickly in water that spent the night warming on the hearth before changing into fresher, more formal clothes. No armor for the day, since the jousts would not be until the second day, to leave competitors a chance to recover their strength.

Not long after a short nap, she was back out in the courtyard, moving amongst the quickly-growing crowd as the feast-guests began to stream inwards. Already a dais was being set up and marked off by the gate for the riddle-contest and contestants were giving their name to the Riddle-Marshal as they signed up to test their mental acuteness. Not only would the winner get a title, but a ceremonial holly crown to wear for the week and the title of Lord or Lady Riddle-master.

She didn't think that particularly appealing, but she was going to do her best regardless, and enjoy the contests.

Nicodemus Samael Ukrit Nahr Tholiel Ironarm Cra'ull Anverth Kettlewhistle

Tholiel had traveled far to attend this feast and arrived as the doors opened, a woman having called down for them to open and announce the sun's presence. It was a beautiful voice that she had used, pleasing to the ear and only excited the group around her further as they all filed inside and broke apart for various reasons.

The first thing on Tholiel's agenda was a place to stay as she wandered off toward what she guessed would hold guests. She claimed a room, affirming it with a servant before anyone else came knocking, leaving her belongings stacked on top of the bed as a reminder. The road was a kind friend to her only in name, leaving her grimy and tired as she took a bath to feel like a person again rather than a walking statue.

Fresh and clean, she changed into the nicer set of clothes in her bag and made the mistake of testing the bed. She took up only half of it, the bed the proper size for a human rather than a dwarf. She snapped awake a short time later, a startled grunt coming from her as she rolled off the bed and cursed herself for being a fool.

She left and went back out to the courtyard to find an ever growing crowd before her, and a line to sign up for riddle solving. She thought for a moment of joining the line, and was content to simply watch.

Dessy, was lucky she had only been told about this big festival from a fellow group of musicians who had offered to take her to this amazing event. She declined of course, and simply told them she’d meet them there.

She’d stop at the courtyard her eyes widen with how many were taking part in such an event, the delicate features on her face turned into a delightful smile as she was sure to have many new tales to tell in her journal.

Dessy, stepped aside to get out a fellow’s way so that he may partake in the riddle solving line, she’d move over out of the way to watch for a brief moment before something else caught her eye, food, she was hungry, just a little and she’d stride over to where they were offering some fruit for the festivities she’d snag an apple and began to munch on it, the juice dripped down into her throat and she sighed out of satisfaction.

A muffled thank you was given to the maid who was tending the apples as she moved out of the way to watch the on goings and depending on where she was going to go explore next. She had never been here before and she didn’t want to make a bad impression on anyone here, though she could tell there were so many creatures from all shapes and sizes and it honestly filled her with pleasure to see it.

Odessa Tholiel Ironarm

Isoletta ambled through the growing crowd as she absorbed the excitement from the crowd. She edged through the crowd preparing for the riddle contest, ending up standing beside a young Dwarf-woman. "Hello there!" The Elf-maid said, turning to the new companion. "Are you joining the contest?"

Not far from her, a very pale and delicate-looking lady accepted an apple from Yvess, but Isoletta waved at the new woman. "Welcome to the feast! Are you two finding things to meet your standards and needs so far?"

Tholiel waved her arms and hands in a dismissive way. "Oh nay, I've not a mind for it. I'll gladly watch and see what the lot can offer but I've come to enjoy the sights and sounds fer the time bein'." She gave a warm smile however.

"A splendid thing you've got 'ere though, all of these foods and folk an' all of 'em getting along no less." The smile was growing as she scanned the crowd. "It's a nice change from what I've seen on the road."

• Yay
Reactions: Odessa
Isoletta grinned and took a mince pie from a nearby wagon and bit into with a raised eyebrow. "Not a mind for riddles? Neither have I nor most of the people in this line. But it's fun! And maybe we'll get lucky!" She laughed lightly at the thought and shrugged after another moment. "But enjoy the feast as you feel best! Perhaps even wish me the Lady's luck if you don't join. "

She stuffed another bite of the pie in her mouth and downed it with a cup of icy water. "And truly. In a world riven by fear and mistrust, we strive to remember and nourish the ways of the Lady by welcoming all and fostering a chance to celebrate together."

The Elf took another long drink as she finished her brief speech to Tholiel Ironarm. Her name was already on the list for riddle-contestants, and now was waiting for it to finish and the riddling to begin.

Blinked as she was spotted by a very interesting woman, she coughed a little as the last bite of apple went down her windpipe. She coughed blushing from the embarrassing display, with a few more coughs and a swallow, she was able to breath and answer.

“Thank you.” Replying with a slight strain in her voice.

“Yes, yes I am it’s all amazing, I am quite content thank you for asking.” Her eyes darted toward the smaller woman as she spoke. She found her fascinating and oh will she has lots of inspiration for her work.

Her eyes would move back toward the taller woman as she spoke, her eyes studied each feature how her lips moved and the wrinkling of the corner of the mouth as she ate.

She’d nod her head toward the woman as she spoke. She had no clue who Sera was, but she must be someone of great importance.

“I am sure you’ll do amazing.” She glanced toward the smaller woman.

“I bet you have amazing talent, that has yet been discovered, who knows the day is still young.” She smiled as she glanced back to the taller woman.

Tholiel smiled and scratched her head, looking between the two women before wondering a moment at the thought of entering once more. "I may as well I suppose, naught fer' trying at least I suppose." The dwarf shrugged.

"Regardless, the Ladies luck to you and the lot of these folk." She spoke before popping into line. "In a world as such, it is always welcome to find a celebration for everyone."

Her attention turned to the fair haired woman behind them. "Come to enjoy the festivities as well then? Well, to whatever you choose, I wish you a merry time with it. Can't wait to hear the music as well. The food looks a right bit tasty as well, I'll have to work up an appetite thinking."

Odessa Tholiel Ironarm

Isoletta nodded as the pale woman spoke, "Excellent. I am glad to hear such a thing. We try to do our best to welcome travelers warmly and generously through the week of the feast. Would hate for it fall short on the first morning."

As the two continued to talk and move into the line, Isoletta stepped aside from the line to make room for some more passerby.

Meanwhile, everyone who desired would sign up and the judge began distributing pairs of contestants. It would be like a tournament. Winners would face off against each other until only one remained.

Isoletta began preparing her own riddles, trying to think of the most difficult ones she could muster. Contestants were not allowed to use riddles more than once, which added another challenge that she doubted she could pass.

She’d nod to the taller woman and beamed a bright smile at the small woman as she addressed her.
“Thank you so much, I wish the same for you, I hope you both.” Gestured to the taller woman and then lowered her hand.
“Good luck.” The woman spoke of music, it was a bit of a relief specially sense that’s what she planned on doing, she was going to share some of her songs, but that would be later.
“I have to agree with you there, I love food, we have a relationship.” A playful wink toward the smaller woman she laughed. The laugh was sweet and lovely as it hit the air.
“I to love music, so much I became a bard, maybe you’ll get a chance to hear me sing.” Another gesture.

• Yay
Reactions: Tholiel Ironarm
Miamy had just arrived at the mid winter feast stumbling slightly from her long journey there at once She smelled all of the foods making her mouth water, But there would be time for food later first she had to find a place to stay She asked a nearby maid if there where any rooms in the house she could take the maid Immediately pointed her in the right direction She thanked the maid and went on her way heading towards where the maid had directed She found a room and claimed it for herself she put all of her belongings next to the bed She took a quick bath not wanting to miss the festivities She left her room and locked the door heading to the riddle sign up line after a little while she was able to sign up and Immediately headed over to the table of food hopping for a snack of some kind.

"You 'ave not failed to be kind hosts, that much I can assure ye'." Tholiel told the taller woman before listening to the pale woman speak.

"There are lot's worse things to 'ave an association with." The dwarf grinned, gently patting her own stomach. "Will have ta' build up an appetite with this then and make up for my lack of attention to a good friend such as food." Tholiel chuckled, giving her a warm smile at the talk of music.

"I look forward to listenin', and I'll have ta make sure I do so." She nodded. People from all over had attended, and she was loathe to miss any chance at the festivities from far off places.

• Yay
Reactions: Odessa and Miamy
Miamy found just what they where looking for a yummy pastry right there calling to them! They picked it up and plopped it in there mouth mmmmm they said This is the best pastry i've ever had. I wonder if the riddle contest is starting soon... Ah! there it goes the contest bell They immediately headed over to the contest area and started readying themselves for the battle of riddles.

Dessy beamed a bright smile and nodded with her own chuckle and winked.

“I’ll be truly honored if you do get a chance to hear me.” He eyes bright with excitement at the thought, then her attention was interrupted by another who had stood out, a girl, she looked from her then back to the woman who seemed very bold.

She would make an excellent Heroine in her story, she thought to herself as the story began to twist and take form in her mind. Dessy will have to remember to write all of it down in her journal back in the room, when she gets a chance.