Fable - Ask The Gulf and It's Treasure

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first

Lucius

Out of the Shade
Character Biography
Link
The Gulf of Liad - The Blackheart

Lucius stood at the stern of his ship, a smile on his face as the wind rushed through his hair. His eyes were closed, but that didn't matter much on the open sea.

This was the first time they had sailed The Blackheart under it's new name. Their flag rose high upon the mast, their massive black sails roared within the winds, and the crew worked quickly and efficiently to get them into the Gulf of Liad. His eyes slowly folded open, a breath filling his lungs as he focused upon the horizon.

All of this.

This was what he had missed.

Fingers rested on the steering wheel of the ship, keeping it steady as they crawled further and further towards the distant land known simply as 'The Crescent'. It was the curved piece of land directly beneath Eaglehead, famed for it's spices and the wine that flowed from there. It was also famous for it's massive Sea Fortress known simply as 'The Stone'.

That was where they were going.

When Lucius and Peyton had selected their new crew, they had promised two things; wealth and infamy.

That was what Lucius intended to deliver, and the Stone was where they would seize even more of both.

Last edited:
  • Cheer
Reactions: Peyton
Peyton had been at her desk for most of the day pouring over a plethora of her own maps and documents, expanding them and chartering the course for the days ahead. Vreek had been bringing her plates of food and water, and each time he suggested fresh air she had told him another few minutes.. That had been hours ago, and she only lifted her gaze when the instrument on her desk told her the waves were changing, and she watched for a moment as the dial slid slowly from side to side. She rubbed at her face, smudging some blue ink on her nose, and downed the last of her whisky before getting up and stretching.

The sea air woke her up a little and she smiled as she ascended the stairs toward Lucius. She stood up on her tiptoes to press a kiss to his cheek, before reaching to turn the wheel a few degrees left to avoid the choppier water.. "Reef...." she explained and rubbed at the back of her neck, realising how long she'd been staring down at maps for.

She looked up at the sails, buffeted nicely by the winds and smiled.. "She really does sail beautifully. If the weather keeps up, we'll reach the crescent by early morning three days from now. I made a few changes to the course but, we're still on schedule."

Peyton leaned on the mahogany balcony that overlooked the deck, golden eyes watching their crew busying about on deck with a warm smile on her lips. They'd chosen well, she thought..

"Like old days.. almost." she commented with a quiet sigh of contentment.

Last edited:
On the deck below three sailors were heaving a rope through block and tackle. A sharp gust of wind led to a cry as it suddenly yanked them forwards. Two of the men let go as another on the deck called out a warning.

The sound of the rope rapidly hissing through the block came to an abrupt end. Thrukk grasped it in one hand above his head. The three men stumbled into his chest. That didn't make him move either.

"Ye shuid be canny wi' that," he said, grinning down at them. He lowered his hand and held the rope out for them.

"Did ye wee jimmies waant it back?" he asked. They nodded quietly, took the rope and continued their work. Thrukk might have taken the space of several men below deck and eaten - and drunk - the portions of many more, his thick accent was not associated with intellectuals, but everyone was looking forward to seeing him in a scrap.

Kikwi was awoken by a sudden jolt and hid head hitting the wooden side of... something. It was completely dark, and he felt around with tiny, scaly hands, the ends of his claws finding more wood around him, and a strange sand-like substance beneath him. No, not sandy... grainy?

Wherever he was, it was rocking back and forth slowly, and it took a minute for him to sit upright. His head bumped against a loose wooden ceiling, and with some effort he stood and popped it off. He blinked at the sudden light and peeked out.

He was looking over the edge of a barrel out into a small wooden room. There were several other barrels in here, along with a few satchels, boxes, and lots and lots of rope. Looking down her could see that he was, actually, standing in grain. Memories from the previous night came flooding back, and he opened his beak in disbelief.

He had been terribly tired as he'd explored the odd town. The streets were not safe for someone such as himself, though, so he had climbed into a reasonably tall and secure napping spot. He hadn't meant to stay long, but the grain had been soft and he had been much more fatigued than he'd realized. He must have fallen fully asleep, and some absent-minded dockhand had covered him up and loaded the barrel onto a ship. That would explain the rocking and the sound of waves. Were his nose less than useless, it would have also explained the smell of salt.

He climbed clumsily out and onto the floor. Luckily he could feel his pockets were still full, he always felt better knowing he had his essentials nearby (essentials being, of course, a journal and things to write and draw with, along with a couple collection bottles). The door was, mercifully, not locked, and he pushed it open to peek outside.

He was met with the gaze of several hard-looking men. "Oh!" he squeaked, "Hello there. Um, there has been a rather unfortunate mistake, it seems." But his words were covered as one of the men bellowed "Captain! Stowaway!"

Ana had been at the wheel of the ship for most of the night so Lucius and Peyton could 'rest' and as such she now found herself semi off duty. She had done what any other pirate would do with time to spare and had found a bit of spare deck out of the way to spread out on and get a few minutes of shut eye. She much preferred it out on the top deck than below - especially in the growing heat. Up here there was a pleasant breeze, below the only breeze a pirate would find himself gifted with would be that from another shipmates arse.

Ana much preferred it on deck.

She had her hat pulled down low over her eyes and was listening to Finch singing somewhere up in the crowds nest when the sounds of footsteps coming up form below deck reached her ears and disturbed her fitful sleep. Something about a Stowaway. Casually she pushed her large brimmed feather hat up and out of her eyes to peer out to all the raucous. For a moment she felt sorry for whoever had even dared, then shut her eyes and tried to get back to sleep.

• Cheer
Reactions: Peyton and Lucius
"Almost." Lucius quietly agreed with a smile.

He slowly turned the ship on it's new course, grinning to himself slightly at the rattle of the wheel. The Galleon swung itself slowly, pulling away from the corals that Peyton had pointed out so that their journey could continue.

"You know next time everyone is asleep we sho-" Lucius' thoughts were suddenly interrupted as a call went up form the prow of the ship.

"STOWAWAY!"

Lucius blinked for a few seconds. "How in the fuck?"

His lips thinned, and with a scowl he motioned for Dav.

"Who stowed away?" He demanded quietly, and the man just shrugged before offering four simple words. "Some sort of Bird." Lucius blinked again. "Bring it here, please."

He rubbed his face.

It was a calm day and she enjoyed the saline breeze and the sound of Finch's music from above. The crew seemed to gel well together so far, and all appeared to be going smoothly until the yelling about a stowaway.

Peyton's brow lifted and she straightened up, her gaze narrowing as she peered over to where the deck hands were gathered around a barrel. She looked to Lucius, noting his irritation and she reached a hand to squeeze gently at his shoulder, a soft smile reminding him that she too had once been a stowaway..

"Perhaps there had been good reason."

• Love
  • Popcorn
Reactions: Talus and Lucius
"Stowaway?" Thrukk bellowed back. The nearest sailor jumped.

He turned to look across the deck and immediately caught sight of the diminutive bird.

"That isnae a stowaway ye feckin' idiots. Tha's a bird. Git a net over it, sae ah kin hae it fur dinner!" He looked around for a net or something he could use before it could fly away. They were barely away from dry land and he was already missing freshly cooked meat.

• Sip
Reactions: Talus
Kikwi was hoisted very unceremoniously by the back of his robes. He flailed his arms and legs for a few seconds, but soon realized the futility of his situation. He could not fight, and he could not swim. He would need to think his way out of this one, it was what he did best.

He was brought above deck, and he squinted as saucer-like pupils contracted to pinpoints in the bright sun. He was held out like a trophy. “Here’e is,” and dropped to the deck with a soft “Oof!”

He pushed himself to his feet, being light had its advantages, and the fall hadn’t hurt him a bit. Well… his pride maybe. He dusted off and adjusted his robes before looking up at the person they’d been talking to. It was a man and a woman, and Kikwi’s eyes darted between the two of them. He tried very hard not to shake at the orc’s suggestion of eating him, although it was not the first time he had heard that idea.

“I, uh, I am very sorry to intrude,” he began, speaking loudly so that they could hear him. “I didn’t mean to… but I guess I fell asleep in a barrel and it… got… loaded on board…” he trailed off, realizing how weak his story must sound, and how very foolish he must look.

His oversized head swiveled back and forth, unable to keep his eyes off of the interesting sights around him. There must have been miles of rope on board, and the giant sails were mesmerizing. He gave a soft gasp as he spied the sea: water that stretched forever and ever. It was a little frightening to not see land anywhere. This ship was much larger than the last vessel he’d been on.

"Is it only ever your stomach you think about?" Ana sighed dramatically. The pretty blonde flowed to her feet in once easy movement; sleep seemed to be out of the question for the time being. She pushed the brim of her hat out of her eyes and strolled over to where the big lug was looking around for something to catch the poor fellow in and slid herself between the pair, her hands on her hips. She might have been half his size but more than one sailor stepped back to leave the giant of a man to the wrath of the Siren.

"Git movin` ye muckle pilack. There'll be na eating o' th' stowaway 'til th' cap'n says," she said in the perfect mimicry of his voice then made shooing motions with her hands.

Oh what fresh new heal was this.

Their first voyage on this new ship and they already had a stowaway, and one who was some kind of a...bird? His lips thinned for a brief moment and he began to run his face. "No ones eating any sentient beings on my ship!"

Lucius called out to Thrukk, hoping that the hulk of a man would soon make himself useful and less of a nuisance.

"Honey, first mate, light of my life." Lucius swung his head towards Peyton, looking exasperated already. "Could you please see what the nice...owl person is capable of doing while on board?"

Lucius wasn't going to throw the man overboard, but he also wasn't going to give him a free ride. "Welcome to the crew lad. We'll drop you off the next port."

Before that they couldn't risk it.

The Stone was only a day away, and their attack had to go more than smoothly if they were going to get out of this alive.

• Dab
  • Haha
Reactions: Kikwi and Peyton
Peyton could only blink with a look of bewilderment at Thruuk's words, she knew he was saying something she just couldn't understand a word of it, and then Ana was communicating with him in the same strange language and Peyton's gaze narrowed as she tried to pick out words.. Nope, nothing.

She tilted her head back with an "Ooooh.." at Lucius' words of reprimand however and shook her head but she couldn't help but smirk.

"Honey, first mate, light of my life." Lucius swung his head towards Peyton, looking exasperated already. "Could you please see what the nice...owl person is capable of doing while on board?"

Peyton wore a look of sheer amusement at Luc's sweet talking and she laughed at him. "Aye, I can do." she shrugged a shoulder and turned to descend the steps toward the owl..person.

"Well." she knelt in front of him and rested her hands on her knees, studying him curiously. "We already have one bird aboard." she glanced upward toward Finch who was still merrily playing away on his lute in the crow's nest. "But I'm sure we can find use for another.. And I can assure you that nobody will be eating you. We have plenty of supplies below deck without resorting to eating one another..." she spoke loudly and shot a look toward the Ogre.

"Welcome aboard the Blackheart. What's your name?.."

• Wonder
  • Bless
Reactions: Lucius and Kikwi
"Is it only ever your stomach you think about?"

"Weel noo ah ken it kin speak ah'm nae gonna scoff it!" Thrukk protested. He backed away from the feisty siren with both hands held up.

Even with the captain's call and the warning he turned towards the bird and mouthed: "Ah'm gonna eat you."

Besides, they couldn't go pirating with a stowaway who could provide their names to the authorities as soon as they made port.

A great many things happened all at once, the most concerning of which was the large orc threatening to eat him. It was not a threat he was unaccustomed to, unfortunately, but he did try his best to understand. Kenku were not a common species, and he supposed he was roughly the size of a large turkey. To the uneducated eye he might indeed look very appetizing.

Peyton's mention of another bird was exciting! Kikwi's massive yellow eyes swept the deck until they found the colorful bard. A sparkling wonder overtook him for a few seconds. Not only was he elated to see another of his own kind (or very close), but to see one so accustomed to the sea! Finch's colors were magnificent, and his beak was large and imposing. Kikwi very much wanted to learn everything about this new acquaintance as soon as possible.

He was brought back to the present by the words of Lucius and Peyton. He was glad that they were not too angry with him (it had been an innocent mistake after all, surely they had all fallen asleep within grain barrels from time to time).

"...My name is Kikwi," he replied to the kind lady. Lucius question hung on him, though. What could he do? He did wish to be useful, it was the least he could do, after all. He thought, putting a small yellow-scaled hand on his beak.

"Well... I don't want to brag, and I don't know much about boats- er ships, but I'm pretty clever." It always sounded like a brag, but he really hadn't meant to. Truthfully he didn't have much else going for him, but his mind was quick as a whip and seemed to have no limit for new and interesting facts.

"When I was in your storage I couldn't help but notice you have rats. Their droppings are very recognizable, and I fear they may be sullying your food. If you'll let me, I'm sure I can set up some traps." He glanced at the orc, who had mouthed a very upsetting phrase at him. Maybe a fresh source of meat would hold him off for a bit?

Glancing at the various sailors who had hauled him up, and noting more than a few marks and welts, he turned back to Peyton and leaned in close to whisper, "I could also fix up something to help your crewmates with, uh, fleas."

Ana stuck her hands on her hips even when the ogre backed off. She didn't trust his words for just one second so she decided to keep him in her sights at all times.

"P..." Ana said after a moment then half turned to the other woman. "There are still a few people Doc could use 'elp with down in Sick Bay from the attack," she suggested helpfully then glanced down towards the bird and took her hat off, giving a small little bow.

"Nice tah meet you kid, I'm Ana. Thick-sticks over here is Thrukk."

There were always rats on a ship. "Wait."

Lucius called, not able to help but overhear.

"Are you going to eat the ra-" Lucius suddenly found his words interrupted as a call from the main mast went out.

"SAILS! SAILS ON THE HORIZON! PORT SIDE!"​

Lucius' head immediately whipped around, lips thinning for a brief moment as he reached down and grabbed the spyglass from where it hung on his belt. A quick motion to one of the men to grab the wheel and Lucius stalked to the right.

The Spyglass Peyton had gotten him in Teth flicked open, and Lucius pressed his eye to it with a frown. There he saw them, to Allirian Frigates traveling up the strait in a parallel direction to them.

Where they going to the same place? Shit. "EVERYONE TO STATIONS!"

Looks like things were going to get a bit busier than he thought.

Peyton dipped her chin as he gave his name, trying to give him respect rather than betray how much of a girl she was and how terribly cute she found the little owl named Kikwi. She wanted to hug it.. Instead she flashed a warm smile at him as he spoke of his cleverness and her brow arched as she listened to his ideas.. "Yes..Well, we have a cat on board but he's proven to be less than useless at catching rats and better at lazing around deck.." (she'd doted and overfed him but they didn't need to know that)..

She shot a glance at the crew as the owl leaned to whisper to her and she laughed quietly and gave a firm nod "That too." she chuckled quietly and lifted her attention to Ana as she gave another option.

"Aye, I'm sure you'll be of use, in return we'll give you safe transport to the next port and a share of rations, then again I doubt you'll need mu--"

Peyton froze at the call from above and she looked up and to Luc as he called out.. "Shit.. Excuse me." she smiled to the owl and turned to rush back up the steps to Lucius "What is it?.." she frowned, following his gaze.. "Fuck.."

• Scared
Reactions: Kikwi
Important members of the crew were busy doting on the small bird which - in Thrukk's view - was going to make it tricky to catch, pluck and roast the visitor. Still, he had faced worse odds before. Odds that had been screamed out for all to hear back when he had been a pit fighter.

They had thrown him in against any beast in their stock that seemed as if it could take down an ogre. That had been back when he had lived in a cage, before he had been a sideshow before becoming the centre of entertainment.

"Tim, na wee Tim," Thrukk shouted and then clarified as Big Tim looked up. "Fetch mah sweeper fae below deck. Keep it oot o' sight."

His 'sweeper' was a very large pole axe that was very, very good at clearing decks. Hopefully there wouldn't be a fight.

• Yay
  • Popcorn
Kikwi nodded his greetings to Ana and Thrukk, although he betrayed a fearful apprehension of the large toothy man. He made sure than Ana was between the two of them. He liked her suggestion of assisting with medical treatment, as it had always been a side curiosity of his. Sadly, the healers at Elbion had not wanted his assistance, as he had no magic to speak of.

He was about to thank Lucius and Peyton for their safe transport when the alarm came. Kikwi's feathers stood on end as the noise began, and his eyes went very wide in surprise. People had started running about and looking worried. The lookout had said sails, and Kikwi darted to the side of the boat and managed to peek over the side.

He recognized the symbols on the ships ahead of them. Alliria. Well that made sense, he supposed, Alliria certainly had a large sea trade. He then glanced up to see what symbols were on their own sales. He didn't recognize anything there.

A terrible thought occurred to him. No, it could not be. These people were far too pleasant to be... but then again...

He looked back at Thrukk and some of the less savory crew members and gave a nervous swallow.

Ana followed Kikwi to the edge of the ship, her eyes still flicking to Thoruuk with a thin lipped look. She didn't trust him not to use the chaos to get himself a little snack and people who didn't know how to fight, well they tended to get in the way. If this ended up being a fight it would be best to get the little critter back down below decks and out of the line of fire.

She put her foot on a crate and pushed herself up to lean over the side and get a better look, balancing herself like a dancer almost. She seemed to have no fear of going in the sea. Her eyes narrowed somewhat; well at least it wasn't the Anirian's yet. Ana dropped back down in time to see the owls nervous look.

"They're not all bad," she sat down on the crate so she was closer to eye level with him. "But it's probably best if you stay close to me for now, 'ite?"

• Bless
  • Popcorn
Things moved quickly on the ship.

Most of the crew knew exactly what to do and when. They rushed to where they were supposed to be, some running below to grab weapons while others manned the ballista and did their best to set the sails. Lucius himself flipped the spyglass into his pocket.

With three quick steps the Captain grasped the wheel of the ship, fingers wrapping around the spindles for just a moment before he slowly spun it towards the right.

There was a slight pause as the rudder shifted, and then slowly the Galleon began to list towards the side. They turned, the trajectory of the ship shifting into a path directly towards the two Frigates. In the back of his mind he kept what Peyton had told him.

The Reefs.

That was how they were going to do this.

The Allirian Frigates seemed to turned in the distance as well, shifting and coming closer as the minutes passed in the relative calm. The three ships crawled towards one another, an urgent sense of dread coming over Lucius as he called out. "Burn their sails!"

Lucius called out to whoever was manning the Ballista.

The Frigates were in range now, close enough to hit with a proper bolt.

• Scared
Reactions: Peyton