Fable - Ask The Great Den

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first

Uhfred

Character Biography
Link
Legally speaking they were poachers, having lived on land for generations, hunting the local animals for their nourishment. Only this land was recently given to a newly ennobled lesser lord, and he was not happy about the poachers in his territory. But he had no soldiers and no guard force yet, so he had to call in mercenaries, among which was the woman Molly Blackwood. She and her new companions, four other mercenaries, were sent into the forests to hunt down these poachers.

Baraek watched silently, unseen a short distance away from the group. He watched with intent, some his pack was with him, two others. They sat in wait for when the group was in optimum position for ambush. It was soon. Very soon. Whenever they were in position, he let out a howl, and his two companions attacked, before he joined right after them, drawing his swords.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Molly Blackwood
Hunting was one thing, but poaching was quite another. Poachers often just killed for killing's sake, leaving the bodies of the animals to rot, sometimes with some parts of them missing for trophies. And as far as she was told by the lord that had hired her and the other mercs, it was poachers that they were after.

She narrowed her eyes a little as she studied the tracks. They weren't entirely fresh, yet they didn't look human either. And they were much bigger than your common variety wolves. "Werewolves?" Molly wasn't very familiar with these woods, so she wasn't sure if a pack frequented the area.

She got to her feet as the howl was heard, pulling out a dagger and brandishing it defensively while her eyes scanned the trees. "Watch yourselves...."

As they began to move Baraek and the others of his pack moved in to intercept. "Ambush!!!" Thomas unsheathed his sword and took a wide swing at Baraek while the others brought out their own weapons and charged. Molly followed Samuel, the smaller of the bunch. As his sword clashed with that of one of the werewolves, Molly jumped onto the beast's back and drove her dagger into it's shoulder.

Uhfred

• Devil
Reactions: Uhfred
Hunting was one thing, but poaching was quite another. Poachers often just killed for killing's sake, leaving the bodies of the animals to rot, sometimes with some parts of them missing for trophies. And as far as she was told by the lord that had hired her and the other mercs, it was poachers that they were after.

She narrowed her eyes a little as she studied the tracks. They weren't entirely fresh, yet they didn't look human either. And they were much bigger than your common variety wolves. "Werewolves?" Molly wasn't very familiar with these woods, so she wasn't sure if a pack frequented the area.

She got to her feet as the howl was heard, pulling out a dagger and brandishing it defensively while her eyes scanned the trees. "Watch yourselves...."

As they began to move Baraek and the others of his pack moved in to intercept. "Ambush!!!" Thomas unsheathed his sword and took a wide swing at Baraek while the others brought out their own weapons and charged. Molly followed Samuel, the smaller of the bunch. As his sword clashed with that of one of the werewolves, Molly jumped onto the beast's back and drove her dagger into it's shoulder.

Uhfred

The mercenaries were fast, and they were strong, but the wolves were faster, and they were stronger. The blow to be delivered by Thomas was easily redirected and a huge, furry fist made contact with the side of his head. Whether he was unconscious or not was up for speculation, but he was definitely dropped out of the fight. There was a sickening crunch when his fist made contact, which could Indicate a shattered cranium.

Turok was having some issues with a two on one. Græg had cast down his opponent, and now stood watching as Turok howled from the pain of a dagger going into his shoulder. He kicked Samuel away then reached over his shoulder to remove the pesky woman. She would either dodge or be thrown harshly against the ground. In the latter case, he would then engage Samuel again.

Molly held on as well as she could while Turok moved and kicked Samuel. Yet the strength of the grip that the werewolf had surprised her and she was thrown harshly to the ground. It knocked the wind out of her and she lay there momentarily as Samuel got to his feet to engage Turok again, the smaller man rushing and slashing wildly with his weapon to try to stop the beast.

Thomas was down, unconscious and badly hurt. Godfrey went after Baraek next, moving his sword in an upward diagonal slash.

Molly regained her breath and got to her feet, a fit of coughing taking over for a few seconds. Her dagger was still in Turok's shoulder, so while he was busy with Samuel, she moved in to try to rip it out.

• Yay
The attack from the side was unexpected, but not something he wasn’t ready for. He caught the sword with his crossguard and expertly twisted the weapon from Godfrey’s grip. From there he struck the man across the face with his fist as he did Thomas, and Godfrey collapsed.

Turok was having some luck with Samuel, despite the dagger in his shoulder, he managed to knock the man’s weapon aside and cut into his calf. He was too busy with Samuel for him to notice her until the dagger was out, with a strained grunt he winced as it was removed and turned around to face her.

• Popcorn
Molly couldn't pay attention to the others. It was just her and Samuel and Turok. "Sam!" She saw him as he went down, dragging himself off the pathway so that he could attempt to bind his leg.

And when Turok turned to face her, Molly only now just realized how tall he was. The beast towered over her and she held up her dagger defensively while she started to step back so that she was at least out of arm's length. His blood dripped from her blade and she could see it glisten in his fur as well.

"You are tresspassing here and poaching on the Lord's game. Leave now..or there'll be consequences..." Just what they were, Molly could only guess. How long it could be before an army could arrive, she wasn't sure.

• Scared
"You are tresspassing here and poaching on the Lord's game. Leave now..or there'll be consequences..." Just what they were, Molly could only guess. How long it could be before an army could arrive, she wasn't sure.

He grunted, “trespassing? In lands that are ours? Poaching? When they are our game to hunt? No, you and your false lord are the trespassers here.”

He advanced, and with a swift flick of his wrist her dagger was cast aside by his sword’s tip, his wolf’s lips were open in an angry growl. He continued to advance, his longer stride made it easy to close on her when she was backing up. She’d either have to turn and run, fight weaponless, surrender or keep backing up until he was upon her. Regardless, Turok’s strength and his speed made him more than a match for the woman, and she’d find her face in the dirt, either struck unconscious or held there.

Her arms would be secured by leather cord, as were the arms of her compatriots, who were carried on the backs of Turok and Græg and Baraek, while she was shoved along by the biggest of the three, Baraek. Or carried if unconscious.

She was shoved along when she slowed down too much, and she’d soon find herself brought to a semi hidden hill cave, where several others like those who took her were milling about, working. Some were working leather, a couple were shaping steel, many were making and repairing bows or fletching arrows.

All peered angrily at the four mercenaries, hating the one who sent them, and resenting those who fought for him. She and her compatriots were brought to a wolf who was sharpening his sword.

Baraek spoke. “Father. Invaders.”

The wolf stopped sharpening his sword. He was facing away from them, showing a viciously scarred back, covered in muscle and white fur. He stood up, and proved as large as Baraek. He turned to look at the mercenaries, “the night why are they still alive?”

“Information. We need information from them, and they are mercenaries, their loyalty is bought, so they won’t be very devoted to keeping their master’s secrets.”

“Then take them and find out what you can.” The wolf Baraek called ‘father’ ordered. “We have a war coming, so do it quickly.”

Baraek grabbed the only conscious one, Molly, and brought her to a smaller, du out hillden, under a tree. It was cozy, with a deerskin rug and a bearskin sleeping mat. She was tossed in and he wasted no time in questioning her.

“How many soldiers does the false lord have?”

• Scared
Their lands? Their game? Was that why they were suddenly ambushed upon arrival? Molly had no time to dwell on it for in a split second Turok had charged her. She turned to run once she had lost her dagger, yet was struck down into the dirt. Molly grimaced as she was held down and bound, surprised that she wasn't just cut down like the others were.

And then she was hoisted to her feet, made to walk in front of Baraek while the other mercs were carried. Other than Samuel, she wasn't sure if the others were alive. Hopefully they wouldn't be eaten.

Molly kept quiet the whole way there, memorizing the route in case she was able to make her escape later on. That information was even more important once they were all brought into a very big cave. The werewolves were all preparing for battle, sharpening their weapons and making more. Molly clenched her jaw as they stared her down and did her best to hide her fears.

Interrogations. Those were never meant to go well for the one being questioned. She was quickly separated from the others, moved out to a smaller den. At first Molly thought that she was being put into a cell but the den was...cozy.

Still she turned to face Baraek, not yet wanting to back herself further into a corner. "You're asking me? I only just started working for the man! Do you think that if he had an army to send right now that he'd ofdone that instead of hiring us out to deal with poachers? And he is NOT my Master. I am not a servant or slave."

• Devil
Still she turned to face Baraek, not yet wanting to back herself further into a corner. "You're asking me? I only just started working for the man! Do you think that if he had an army to send right now that he'd ofdone that instead of hiring us out to deal with poachers? And he is NOT my Master. I am not a servant or slave."

“I think that mercenaries are more disposable than soldiers. And regardless of what you say, you do as he tells you, even if you are paid, that makes him your master.” Was his reply. “How many people does he have at his disposal? And what are the details of his defensive capabilities? Answer and you and your comrades will be spared.”

He didn’t care how brave or stupid she was, he was going to get the information he needed from her.

“Or, you will find out exactly how fragile human bones are.”

• Sip
"And do you do as your told? Is your Father over there YOUR Master?" She indicated back where they had come with a nod of her head. Molly couldn't try to break free of her bonds while Baraek was there standing before her.

To his questions, she wasn't sure if she had satisfactory answers to give. So instead she just narrowed her eyes as she glared up at him. "Why don't you ask him yourself! We had only just got into the forest and you ambushed us! You knew that we were coming! How did that come to be so?"

"And do you do as your told? Is your Father over there YOUR Master?" She indicated back where they had come with a nod of her head. Molly couldn't try to break free of her bonds while Baraek was there standing before her.

"Until I am Alpha, he is master to all here." Was his answer.

To his questions, she wasn't sure if she had satisfactory answers to give. So instead she just narrowed her eyes as she glared up at him. "Why don't you ask him yourself! We had only just got into the forest and you ambushed us! You knew that we were coming! How did that come to be so?"

"We simply anticipated it. And you had better start giving me answers." He grabbed her by her hair and lifted her up a ways to look directly in her face. "Or you will find out exactly how serious my previous threat is."

• Sip
Well that didn't work. Baraek had accepted that he had a Master, while she couldn't. She was just hired to help with a small problem that turned out to be a lot bigger than they had realized.

As he grabbed her hair she grit her teeth, speaking through them as she tried to prepare herself for pain. "And what if I have no answers to give? I don't live there. It's not my home!" She had only been there for a day. Yet already she was trying to search her memories for answers that would appease him.

And what if I have no answers to give? I don't live there. It's not my home!"

"If you have no answers to give then you will remain here until such time as your master falls, or you are rescued by him. I doubt such an attempt will be made." He put her back down, releasing her hair.

"So you have no answers. Very well," her bonds were then loosed and her hands freed. "I am under no orders to kill you. Don't give my father a reason to give such an order. And until this is resolved, your home is here."

Molly doubted it too. As Baraek had said, they were expendible, only hired to stop poachers. Their loss was insignificant. It only meant that they weren't going to get paid.

As her hands were freed, she rubbed her wrists to help with the circulation and then massaged her scalp from where her hair was pulled. "And what of the others with me? Are they stuck here too?" That is if they survived their injuries. As far as Molly could tell, only Samuel had such luck.

"And what of the others with me? Are they stuck here too?"

“Until that false lord is dealt with yes. Don’t worry, aside from the injuries they received in honorable combat, they are unharmed. Their injuries will be treated. And they will live. If they too have no answers. Then they too will be held until this issue is dealt with.” He explained.

From there he turned around and left, but before he disappeared, he said “I don’t recommend you run. If we have to chase you down, which we will, you’ll be kept on a leash for the duration of your containment. Don’t make us do that.”

• Sip
Molly nodded a little in regards to the others being taken care of. "Thanks."

She stepped back out of reach and surveyed the den a little. "I take it there'll be a guard at the entrance then? For when I need to go out and relieve myself?" Molly wasn't fond of the idea of being on a leash, nor did she want to be suspected of running away when really, she just needed an outhouse.

• Sip
She stepped back out of reach and surveyed the den a little. "I take it there'll be a guard at the entrance then? For when I need to go out and relieve myself?" Molly wasn't fond of the idea of being on a leash, nor did she want to be suspected of running away when really, she just needed an outhouse.

"Yes, there will be." He said simply. "And as for relieving yourself, you will be allowed to leave with your guard for the treeline."

He didn't tell her that the one guarding her was him. He instructed a fellow lycan, a passing female, to inform his father that nothing could be learned. Then he sat down outside the den, and began to work on carving a slab of wood with a small knife.

Molly nodded again. There was that at least. No need for her to pick out a little corner.

She let out a small huff once Baraek had left and surveyed the small den that she was in. It was cozy in it's own way, as far as dens go. Yet she was quite certain that she wouldn't be here long. If the others had more intel than what she was willing to give, then perhaps it would only be a day or two before she could leave.

Molly sat down on the sleeping mat and let her hair down for lack of anything to do. Then she just sat there, losing herself in her thoughts as to just how patient she could be here before she couldn't take being a captive here anymore.

This was of course, a first.

Baraek sat outside the den for a few hours. When it came time to eat, he called a fellow wolf to stand in for him, and went off to hunt himself and his captive some dinner.

Returning some twenty minutes later, dragging a dead bear behind him, he set to work skinning it. He pulled off a now skinless bear leg and offered it to her.

"I suggest you eat." He himself began tearing into his own bear leg, raw. He evidently didn't know that meat had to be cooked for humans to digest it.

• Haha
Boredom set in rather quickly. So Molly did what anyone would do, she curled up on her side and used her arm for a pillow, dozing off.

It wasn't until Baraek returned that she woke up and sat up, staring at the torn off limb that was still slick and dripping with blood. She made no move to take it. "That doesn't look ready to eat...Do you have a spit for the fire? Or a stone slab that I could put in the forge? That could work."

• Yay
Boredom set in rather quickly. So Molly did what anyone would do, she curled up on her side and used her arm for a pillow, dozing off.

It wasn't until Baraek returned that she woke up and sat up, staring at the torn off limb that was still slick and dripping with blood. She made no move to take it. "That doesn't look ready to eat...Do you have a spit for the fire? Or a stone slab that I could put in the forge? That could work."

“What do you mean ‘not ready to eat’? I killed it not ten minutes ago, it’s fresh. Now’s the perfect time to eat it.”

He thought on her words. “You’d put meat in a fire? Why would you do that? It would just burn the meat away.”

He was honestly confused by this. He never heard of cooking meat. The idea was preposterous to him.

"Fresh is good, but I need it cooked or I'd get very sick. It could kill me." Molly tilted her head to the side a little. "You haven't spent much time with humans, have you?"

She got to her feet and headed over to the entrance, waving for Baraek to follow. "Come on. I'll show you. It won't burn the meat away."

• Sip
"Fresh is good, but I need it cooked or I'd get very sick. It could kill me." Molly tilted her head to the side a little. "You haven't spent much time with humans, have you?"

She got to her feet and headed over to the entrance, waving for Baraek to follow. "Come on. I'll show you. It won't burn the meat away."

“Really? Wow. You humans really are fragile.” He said in astonishment. “And no, you are the first human I’ve actually interacted with.”

He was too confused to object, and followed her out with curiosity. “You say you need a fire, should I get some wood?”

• Sip
Molly smirked in amusement as Baraek mentioned that humans were more fragile. "Maybe we are, but just look at our difference in size. Of course I'd be more fragile than you."

She made a quick glance around the encampent. "Yes we'll need some wood for the fire. Don't you have any other fire pits besides the forge? What about to keep warm with....Oh. Nevermind. I suppose your fur takes care of that. Well us humans don't have fur. We need fire. My companions won't heal so well without being kept warm."

• Yay
Molly smirked in amusement as Baraek mentioned that humans were more fragile. "Maybe we are, but just look at our difference in size. Of course I'd be more fragile than you."

"That is true." He said before shrugging.

She made a quick glance around the encampent. "Yes we'll need some wood for the fire. Don't you have any other fire pits besides the forge? What about to keep warm with....Oh. Nevermind. I suppose your fur takes care of that. Well us humans don't have fur. We need fire. My companions won't heal so well without being kept warm."

"They'll be taken care of, don't worry." He assured her. "Stay here, I'll be back in a few moments."

He walked off into the trees, and returned with an armload of kindling and smaller logs. He arranged the kindling as needed and picking up a slab of flint from the ground and drawing his dagger, he lit the fire.

"Any other specific requirements?" He asked curiously.

• Yay