Fable - Ask The Great Den

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first
Molly stayed when instructed. She had no desire to be put on a leash, especially when Baraek was seeing to her needs and not forcing her to eat raw meat.

She sat down next to the little fire, holding the bear leg in her lap. "I'll need another stick so that I could use it for cooking." Molly pulled out her own dagger and began cutting off chunks of the bear meat, a type of animal that she had never eaten before. "This is bear, isn't it? Probably safer for me to cook it all the way through."

• Yay
Reactions: Uhfred
Molly stayed when instructed. She had no desire to be put on a leash, especially when Baraek was seeing to her needs and not forcing her to eat raw meat.

She sat down next to the little fire, holding the bear leg in her lap. "I'll need another stick so that I could use it for cooking." Molly pulled out her own dagger and began cutting off chunks of the bear meat, a type of animal that she had never eaten before. "This is bear, isn't it? Probably safer for me to cook it all the way through."

He listened and nodded. He left and returned a moment later with another stick, a thicker one but not so thick as to be difficult for putting the meat on it. “Yes it is bear. So why do you humans cook things at all? What threat does raw meat actually hold?”

• Yay
Reactions: Molly Blackwood
Molly nodded in thanks as she took the branch, examining it. The tip wasn't quite pointy enough, so she began sharpening it, being sure to not get any slivers of wood on her meat.

"I don't know. It's just the way it is. We can eat vegetables and fruits without cooking them. But they taste good cooked too. And you can make stews, pies, breads, and many other tastey meals. I haven't tried a lot as I hadn't been able to afford it. But I've smelled them and can imagine how they taste."

The stick was ready, so she began sliding chunks of meat onto it. Then she opened up one of her pouches on her belt and took out a pinch of salt, sprinkling it on top. "It takes a little while, but it's worth it for the taste. You can try some when it's ready."

• Yay
Molly nodded in thanks as she took the branch, examining it. The tip wasn't quite pointy enough, so she began sharpening it, being sure to not get any slivers of wood on her meat.

He offered her a small carving knife for her to cut the stick with.

"I don't know. It's just the way it is. We can eat vegetables and fruits without cooking them. But they taste good cooked too. And you can make stews, pies, breads, and many other tastey meals. I haven't tried a lot as I hadn't been able to afford it. But I've smelled them and can imagine how they taste."

“Interesting.” Was his comment. “We don’t eat fruits or vegetables of any kind. Just meat.”

The stick was ready, so she began sliding chunks of meat onto it. Then she opened up one of her pouches on her belt and took out a pinch of salt, sprinkling it on top. "It takes a little while, but it's worth it for the taste. You can try some when it's ready."

He observed as she prepared the meat. He would like to try it himself later on. She seasoned the meat, and put it over the fire. Then she said he could try some. “Thanks.”

• Popcorn
Molly held the meat over the fire, keeping an eye on it as she spoke. "How's your friend? The one I stabbed, I mean. Is he going to be okay?" She had just used self defence, all of them did, for Baraek and the others had ambushed them while they were following tracks on the trail. Yet she didn't try to wound him with an intention to kill, only to try to incapacitate.

"How's your friend? The one I stabbed, I mean. Is he going to be okay?"

“He’s fine. We heal quickly. Your dagger might not even leave a scar.” He said with a chuckle. “I’ll inform him that you were concerned, he’ll appreciate it.”

He himself returned to his carving project. She’d see a decently carved piece of wood in his hands, not expertly done, but not terrible either. “Tell me about where’s you’re from.”

• Sip
Molly nodded, not entirely sure of just how grateful that she should be that they'd all be okay. Afterall, she was being held captive; almost like a hostage. Yet her worth to the Lord that hired her was next to nothing.

She turned the meat over in the fire so that the other side could cook as well. "Where I'm from? Well it's a little village far from here. I think most villages are the same. There's houses, markets and pubs. I have two younger sisters that I protected, much to my mother's dismay. Yet my dad appreciated it and so he taught me how to fight. He got hurt in battle and didn't heal so well. Being the oldest, I had to venture out and provide for them." And Baraek keeping her here was stopping her from doing that.

Molly furrowed her brows as she stared at the meat cooking on the fire. Now how was she going to solve that problem?

• Yay
She turned the meat over in the fire so that the other side could cook as well. "Where I'm from? Well it's a little village far from here. I think most villages are the same. There's houses, markets and pubs. I have two younger sisters that I protected, much to my mother's dismay. Yet my dad appreciated it and so he taught me how to fight. He got hurt in battle and didn't heal so well. Being the oldest, I had to venture out and provide for them." And Baraek keeping her here was stopping her from doing that.

He hummed thoughtfully. “I’m sorry to hear that such a burden was placed on your shoulders. And I’m sorry to hear about your father. Did he live? Or did the injury kill him?”

He didn’t want to sound callous, though he had very little experience talking with someone who wasn’t of his culture, and he wasn’t always the best choice with words.

• Yay
"He still lives, as far as I'm aware. Yet he can no longer walk on his own, so he can't fight. I haven't gotten any letters that say that anything has changed for him. Half of what I make goes to them. The bigger payouts for mercenary work isn't close to home. So I had to leave in order to better help them."

Molly missed them as well. She cherished the few letters from them that she had and wondered if they did the same for her own. She hoped that they did.

The bear meat appeared to be ready, so Molly pulled it out of the fire in order to cool it down. "Have you ever travelled far from home?"

"He still lives, as far as I'm aware. Yet he can no longer walk on his own, so he can't fight. I haven't gotten any letters that say that anything has changed for him. Half of what I make goes to them. The bigger payouts for mercenary work isn't close to home. So I had to leave in order to better help them."

He placed a huge hand on her shoulder sympathetically. “I’m sorry that it has come to that. Our people don’t deal in currency, or even in barter. Everything belongs to everyone, and everyone has what they need. So I cannot say that I know how you feel.”

The bear meat appeared to be ready, so Molly pulled it out of the fire in order to cool it down. "Have you ever travelled far from home?"

“Once or twice, always on my father’s directive. He has sent me to go and eliminate a threat or investigate signs of other lycans, which has occasionally taken me away from home. The first time I left for any extended period of time it was my Snowtrial. Me and my fellow pups were ten years old, and we were sent north into the ice and snow, to see who was strong enough to live with the pack and who would perish. We returned the following spring with four less.”

• Cry
At first Molly stiffened when Baraek placed his hand on her, yet his words were comforting and so she visibly relaxed.

"You did what now? They...died?" Molly couldn't imagine such a trial with her siblings. She was the stronger of them and without her help they surely wouldn't survive. "Didn't you try to help them? Or look after them? What happened?"

"You did what now? They...died?" Molly couldn't imagine such a trial with her siblings. She was the stronger of them and without her help they surely wouldn't survive. "Didn't you try to help them? Or look after them? What happened?"

“We tried. But they weren’t strong enough. One drowned. Two died from injuries. The last got in a fight with another.” He said simply. “It’s the traditional coming of age trial for all pups born into the pack. This happens every year.”

• Cry
"Every year? That's so very sad..." But it wasn't much different than soldiers going off to war. Only their ages were different. They were still so young...

Molly took a bite of the cooked bear meat. It was a rougher texture than she was used to, but tastey nonetheless. Not wanting to talk with her mouth full while she chewed, she slid off a piece and held it out for Baraek to take and try for himself. The meat wasn't burned at all, cooked at medium heat. It wasn't her best, but she knew how to make due with very little.

• Sip
"Every year? That's so very sad..."

He shrugged. “It can’t be. But a chain is only as strong as it’s weakest link. And it isn’t far less tragic to give them a respectable death early, than to let them be the cause of the Pack dying.”

Molly took a bite of the cooked bear meat. It was a rougher texture than she was used to, but tastey nonetheless. Not wanting to talk with her mouth full while she chewed, she slid off a piece and held it out for Baraek to take and try for himself. The meat wasn't burned at all, cooked at medium heat. It wasn't her best, but she knew how to make due with very little.

“Thanks.” He said to her before taking a bite. His ears dropped, his shoulders relaxed and his eyes widened as he was completely overwhelmed by the wonderful taste. He could barely keep his tail from wagging.

• Haha
"I suppose that if you're used to children dying so often, then you become...desensitized to it." But that was something that she didn't think that she could ever be. Children were pure and innocent. They don't deserve their lives being taken from them so soon.

She took another piece of meat and plopped it into her mouth, chewing on it as she looked to Baraek, noting how different his posture seemed to be. Molly held out another piece for him, speaking as her morsel was mostly swallowed already. "Here, you can have another piece if you like." There was plenty to spare, especially as she wasn't all that hungry at the moment. There was too much going on in her mind, mostly about her current predicament.

"I suppose that if you're used to children dying so often, then you become...desensitized to it." But that was something that she didn't think that she could ever be. Children were pure and innocent. They don't deserve their lives being taken from them so soon.

“I suppose so.” He nodded.

She took another piece of meat and plopped it into her mouth, chewing on it as she looked to Baraek, noting how different his posture seemed to be. Molly held out another piece for him, speaking as her morsel was mostly swallowed already. "Here, you can have another piece if you like." There was plenty to spare, especially as she wasn't all that hungry at the moment. There was too much going on in her mind, mostly about her current predicament.

He looked at the second piece and took it. “Thanks. You need to teach me how to do this... what is it? Cooking? I’ve never tasted anything like this. He ate the second piece, his mouth overwhelmed by the taste a second time. Cooked meat was delicious!

Well at least Baraek didn't hate it. Bear meat wasn't quite one of her favourites. Or perhaps she just needed other seasonings. But those were hard to come by. Especially for one that traveled far from home.

"It takes time, but it's worth it. Deer taste better, and so does duck and pheasant. Even boar. I can teach you, as payment for keeping me alive."

"It takes time, but it's worth it. Deer taste better, and so does duck and pheasant. Even boar. I can teach you, as payment for keeping me alive

“If that’s the only price, you my friend are going’s to live a long life.” He said gratefully. “Next time I’ll try to bring back a boar or a deer. I trust your judgement here. Why don’t we start now?”

He got up and dragged the rest of the bear carcass over. It’s hide was already removed. He stood next to it with a smile. “Teach me.”

• Sip
A long life. Of course she wasn't exactly expecting to spend the rest of her life here in the lycan camp. What about her family? She couldn't provide for them here while she was not earning them any money.

Yet the sentiment was nice.

Molly looked to the carcass that Baraek had brought over. Of course part of it was dragged in the dirt. She made sure not to cut off any pieces that would be just covered in pebbles and soil. She finished off the last piece of meat on her stick and then began cutting off more pieces while she chewed it down. Then she dug out a pinch of salt from her pouch and sprinkled it on the meat before handing him the makeshift kebab. "Here. Hold it into the flames. Don't worry, it won't catch fire. Keep it still. I'll let you know when to turn it." She glanced over her shoulder, wondering if anyone else in the pack would be drawn by the smell.

Molly looked to the carcass that Baraek had brought over. Of course part of it was dragged in the dirt. She made sure not to cut off any pieces that would be just covered in pebbles and soil. She finished off the last piece of meat on her stick and then began cutting off more pieces while she chewed it down. Then she dug out a pinch of salt from her pouch and sprinkled it on the meat before handing him the makeshift kebab. "Here. Hold it into the flames. Don't worry, it won't catch fire. Keep it still. I'll let you know when to turn it." She glanced over her shoulder, wondering if anyone else in the pack would be drawn by the smell.

He paid careful attention to what she was doing with the meat. When he was handed the meat he obliged and held it over the cookfire and making sure to keep it where she had put it. “Thanks. Are there any other ways of cooking meat? Or can you do it just over a fire?”

A couple of curious lycan should had wandered over to get a whiff but left them alone for the most part.

(Sorry, thought I replied.)

Molly kept careful watch, though on occassion she'd look up to Baraek to study him somewhat. It was a bizarre notion to think that something so close to resembling a human, and one that forged weapons with fire, did not ever cook meat.

"Yes there are other ways than like this. You can use an iron pot filled with water, vegetables and herbs and hang it over the fire to simmer. Have you not seen such things in any villages you've gone to?"

• Yay
Have you not seen such things in any villages you've gone to?"

"We've never gone to any other villages, once or twice we've gotten close but only to look for soldiers. The only time we've actually approached one was to attack it." He explained.

He was watching the meat sizzle, and his mouth began watering again. But she didn't tell him it was ready, so he'd have to wait. "Are all other bipedal species incapable of ingesting raw meat?"

((Halloween is a busy time of year for me with decorating, costume making and events. Phew!))

"Oh. I suppose that makes sense. Especially as you don't barter or use currency." Molly knew that she'd be curious if she was one of them. It was why she didn't mind travelling from home. She got to see things that she normally wouldn't of if she had settled down and reared a family.

"You can turn it now." She nodded her head towards Baraek and pondered on his question. "I'm not entirely sure....I think a lot prefer it because of all of the variety of tastes that can be made with it. What's your favourite meat?"

((Halloween is a busy time of year for me with decorating, costume making and events. Phew!))

(You Okay?)

"Oh. I suppose that makes sense. Especially as you don't barter or use currency." Molly knew that she'd be curious if she was one of them. It was why she didn't mind travelling from home. She got to see things that she normally wouldn't of if she had settled down and reared a family.

“Yes, that’s the basic idea.” He said with a shrug. “Tell me about the places you’ve visited. I’d love to learn.”

"You can turn it now." She nodded her head towards Baraek and pondered on his question. "I'm not entirely sure....I think a lot prefer it because of all of the variety of tastes that can be made with it. What's your favourite meat?"

He turned the meat over. “My favorite meat? I prefer tough meat funny as it may sound, so it wouldn’t be bear meat or stag. They tend to have more muscle, so they tend to be tougher. What about you? What’s your favorite meat?”