Fable - Ask The Goblin Market

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first
Sybil did not take kindly to Siobhan picking her up. She narrowed her eyes to match Ianthe's glare all while receiving praise and a kiss from her sister. She grunted and wiggled, trying to get herself free of Siobhan's clutches. "Lemme gooooo."

She paused in her struggle as Saang corrected her, and she flashed a smile as he called her little fox. Her adoration for her brother calming her for an instant. Which also gave her a great idea. She shifted in flurry of embers, dropping on all fours as she escaped Siobhan.

She shifted back just as quickly and slid behind Siobhan, delicately taking the dagger from her belt, running around to brandish it at Ianthe. "No more funny business, mean lady!" She was keen to show the kelpie that she wasn't afraid of her.

Saang Lusce Siobhan Lusce Ianthe

Siobhan didn't try to grab her little shit of a sister once she had wiggled out of her arms. One of these days she would be gone and her siblings would have to deal with Sybil on their own. That would be interesting to see Signe running after Sybil.

Siobhan smiled at the amusing thought as she felt the dagger lift from its spot on her belt. Siobhan didn't try to stop the hellion as she brandished it Ianthe. She crossed her arms and gave Saang a what are you going to do with her look.

Saang Lusce Ianthe Sybil Lusce

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Ianthe
Ianthe gave a muffled grunt as she was unceremoniously yanked to her feet by her arm and issued Saang with a challenging heated glare. He might have been her Handler, the runes etched into the fabric of her skin the metaphorical bridal he could use to tame the wild spirit of a kelpie, but that didn't mean she was going to take it with a placid temper. It wasn't what she had been bred for. After all, the Night King had always enjoyed his cavalry to be the most vicious and foul tempered creatures on a battlefield and Ianthe was no exception. Point in case was the murderous look in her eyes as she flashed him a very pointed very sharp grin. She opened her mouth to give a retort when the smallest of the red-headed maggots jumped down in front of her and brandished a dagger.

The kelpie gave her a flat eyed stare and then, without much warning, Ianthe raised her foot and kicked the child heel first squarely in the face.

"Does it ever shut up?" She sighed dramatically.

There was nothing that could have prepared Saang for the slow-motion moment of Ianthe's boot connecting with his baby sister's face. There was also nothing that could have kept his eyes from bugging out like saucers at the sight of it. Ianthe was fast and Ianthe was strong. That was going to leave a lasting mark, physically and emotionally, for little Sybil.

Jaw slack, he rounded on the Kelpie, grip tightening on her arm, "THAT IS MY BABY SISTER!" and fire in several nearby braziers exploded with his fury, catching flame on nearby flammables and quickly lighting up the area. Market-goers began to panic and run.

"You will not harm her again, Ianthe! Now come with me, we have things to discuss. Siobhan, get Sybil, make sure she's okay and do not lose her. We're going home and we're all going to enjoy a nice dinner with Mother!" that was a full blown handler command spouting forth from his lips. Not something he did very often. Saang turned and lead Ianthe away by the arm, leaving behind the flames presently spreading through the market with vendors attempting to put them out.

Last edited:
Sybil certainly was not ready to receive the heel of a boot to her face. She thought she had been pretty slick with her stolen dagger. So, falling flat on her butt and a bloody nose had been the least of possibilities she had expected.

She sat on the ground, dazed, blood pouring from her nose. She didn't cry, she never cried on purpose. instead, her face grew red. Redder than it ever had been. Embarrassment and anger, almost to much for the tiny fae to handle.

She felt just a teeny bit smug as Saang exploded with anger at Ianthe. His power was something she admired. Still, her eyes were watering from being kicked as she quietly stood up, clutching Siobhan for support. She dragged her sleeve across her nose, smearing the blood. "I hate her. I'm going to make her miserable." It was a vow the tiny fae took to heart.

Siobhan Lusce Ianthe Saang Lusce

Siobhan was caught between laughing and being outraged when Ianthe's boot rammed into the littlest Lusce's nose. She did not have time to do more than gasp before Saang went scary big brother and started yelling at Ianthe. Siobhan nodded at Saang as he started to haul the kelpie away by her arm.

Siobhan looked down at her baby sister who was trying to wipe the blood from her nose. "You deserved it, Sybil. You were being a brat. I know I taught you better than that." Siobhan leaned down and picked Sybil up. "You are going to embarrass the family, do you want that? Being a troublemaker is not about being a little shit all the time, Sybil."

She was not usually this harsh with her sister but she needed to be in this case. She could have gotten seriously hurt and she needed to understand that. "Now please behave until we get home and then you can try to attack Ianthe again."

Sybil Lusce Ianthe Saang Lusce

Ianthe's smug look of satisfaction as seeing the child bloodied and put firmly back in place lasted a mere second before Saang's eruption. The fire more than made her flinch. As the natural opposite to the element she needed to survive it was a healthy fear most Kelpies shared and it was why most Handlers were aligned to it. If the fear of the flame hadn't been enough to cower her enough to cooperate in leaving the market the sudden warmth of her runes as the command was given certainly did. There was no more dragging of the feet or snarling words - though she did shoot the child a look that could had stripped flesh from bone - as Saang led them forth. But whilst she obeyed there was still a tension in her every muscle as though waiting for the right moment to throw in a buck.

That moment came once they had made it outside and she saw what it was the others had arrived in.

The kelpie dug her heels quite firmly into the snow and leaned her whole weight against Saang's pull. The result, if he kept pulling, was creating trenches in the snow where her feet were dragged.

"I'm not getting on that," she said in exasperation. It was humiliating for one thing and just... wrong for the other. "I can run as fast as that thing," she glared at the horse.

"If you think for one second," Saang hissed and reaffirmed his grip on her arm, lifting the woman so she could no longer find purchase on the ground with her heels, "that I will trust you to follow at leisure you are sorely mistaken. I am already cross with you."

Sybil looked at her sister, anger still clear in the tiny fae's emerald eyes. She did not like being admonished, especially after being kicked. She kept silent, a petulant pout on her face.

She watched as Saang hauled the kelpie away, and she matched the glare with one She thought matched Ianthe's. She did notice how she flinched at fire, tucking away that nugget of knowledge for later. She would have her revenge.

Sybil followed her brother and sister out easily enough, enough that they probably thought her to be properly mollified. She was not, she was deep in her thoughts for how to get back at Ianthe, blood still trickling from her nose.

As Ianthe dug her heels, Sybil stuck her tongue out at her. She was tempted to light a fire at her feet, but she was enjoying Saang's anger at Ianthe. "Can I ride with you Saangy?" She threw him the puppy dog eyes, playing the victim. She allowed herself a few tears and sniffle for effect.

Saang Lusce Siobhan Lusce Ianthe

Siobhan looked at Sybil as she played the victim to Saang. Better, Sio thought. At least her sister hadn't forgotten everything she had been taught about being a troublemaker. The big eyes, the pout, the tear. It was beautiful perfection.

Siobhan raised an eyebrow at Saang. She was done wrangling the baby for today. If he told her that she had to ride with her, Sybil would listen to him. She supposed the kelpie could ride on her horse if she had to.

Sybil Lusce Saang Lusce Ianthe

Ianthe stiffened when Saang's grip tightened on her and she tried to lean back, as far away from him as she could. There was an edge of fear to her eyes now and it was making her cautious; the flames had done his work for him far more than any words could. She might have simply got on the horse of her own free will in that moment if the little brat hadn't spoken up. Maybe she could use her...

"Yes, ride with your sister," the kelpie nodded vigorously and flows of water began to curve over her arms; a tell-tale sign she intended to shift. "If you don't think I'll follow at my leisure use your Voice," she even offered a sweet and innocent smile, which on the Kelpie looked feral and full of mischief anyway.

• Cthulhoo rage
Reactions: Saang Lusce
"NO!" Saang's boiling anger got the best of him in that moment, as his emotions that ran away from him usually did. Ianthe would feel the heat of it in her blood, briefly, before Saang took a deep breath as he noticed the snow around his boots has quite suddenly melted into the ground below.

"No... not this time Sybil. You will ride with your sister. Ianthe," he turned the woman to look right at him, frowning into a grimace at her misplaced expression of innocence, "will not be shifting and is going to ride with me."

Use his Voice indeed.

"Now up you go, into the saddle all of you," he said, turning her to his horse and gesturing with his other hand for her to mount up. He released her arm to allow her freedom to do as told and took up the reins from where they were tethered to the tree. Looping them back over the horse's neck, Saang took hold of saddle, put his foot in the stirrup, and swung up into place behind Ianthe. It would be slightly awkward and more than slightly uncomfortable for them both, but he'd certainly ridden longer distances under far worse circumstances. Saang looped his arms around Ianthe, took up the reins and turned to nod to Siobhan as she secured Sibyl in place.

"Siobhan ride ahead, you remember the way?"

Last edited:
Sybil knew she had pushed her luck today. Saang was upset with her, and a pout formed when he yelled. Saang never yelled at her, and for the first time her feelings were truly hurt. She didn't look at Saang or her sister as she followed orders.

Siobhan got her settled, but once her sister clambered up behind her, she shifted into fox form and curled up in her sister's lap. She didn't feel like talking and she wanted to be sad without outwardly showing it. She felt like her tiny heart had been broken by her brother.

Saang Lusce Ianthe Siobhan Lusce

Siobhan did remember the way they had come and once Sybil was settled on the horse, she climbed up behind her baby sister. As the horse started walking, Sybil shifted into her adorable baby fox form. Siobhan held the reigns in one hand and scratched behind her sisters ears with the other. At least she hadn't broken Sybils heart today. At least she was still a good big sister.

They rode ahead of Saang and Ianthe for the journey home. She had a feeling they needed space for terse words and she didn't feel like eavesdropping. At least not right now. She was hungry and the promise of food was a strong motivator to stay on course.

Ianthe Saang Lusce Sybil Lusce

The weaves of magic burst like a bubble as Saang shouted his order causing Ianthe to flinch. He was really mad. Maybe kicking his little sister in the face had been a step too far...

Nah.

The kid needed to learn kelpies weren't things to be hunted lightly.

Considering Saang's request had been a Voiced order, Ianthe still managed to complete it with begrudging slowness with several wary looks to the horse as she clambered ungracefully aboard. Her whole body was as rigid as an iron rod as she sat in front practically on top of the saddle mantel whilst she waited for Saang to get seated. There was something fundamentally wrong about an equine-fae riding an equine. It stirred a deep seated wrongness that almost made her queasy. It most certainly took her mind off of the other pressing issue she was trying not to dwell on: Saang had come for her help. That never spelled good things for her and her lifestyle.

Least he wasn't telling her off for that lifestyle. Yet.

If it was possible Ianthe tensed even further till it looked as though her back might break when Saang mounted behind her and wound his arms about her waist. The first 400 years of her life had ingrained within her an innate fear of any type of physical contact. Contact meant pain and it was a hard learning to unlearn even now 200 years after the Civil War and her 'emancipation'. Combined with the discomfort of riding a horse Ianthe kept her mouth uncharacteristically shut as they set off towards the root problem of the Saang population increase; Mumma Lusce.

• Popcorn
Did Saang know her discomfort for riding? Absolutely.

Did he also know her innate fear response to being touched? Yes.

Was he regretful for yelling at the girls? Most definitely.

Did he care? More than any other man in the Night Court ever would.

He rode in the silence she was hoping for the majority of the journey until their trail turned steep and winding and required a slower pace and more care. Ianthe's stiff posture made it difficult to help the horse balance, and so the only thing he could do to help them both was to hold the reins loosely in one hand and securely wrap his other arm around her middle. Saang tried to bring her some comfort by imbuing the Kelpie with soothing energy of calm, but he disliked making her feel anything other than what she naturally came by. A Kelpie's instinct was based in a foundation of gut feelings - it was powerful and gave them their edge. Ianthe's wasn't an edge he wanted to dull.

Lusce Estate
proxy.php

With the horses handed off to the stablehands, Saang drew in an intrepid breath as he herded the girls up the steps of the main entrance to the manor and inside. All seemed perfectly quiet upon entry - most of the lights had been snuffed for the evening hours. They were well passed dinner time ... and well passed Sybil's bedtime, too, so he'd thought to have Sio quietly put the girl to sleep until the sharp clacking of heels in the eastern hall announced the arrival of a-one vehement Mamma Lusce.

"WHERE. HAVE. YOU. BEEN?!" her voice could have woken the fae Gods with the way it rang and echoed through the vast estate, "HORSES GONE. NO NOTE. SYBIL MISSING."

"Mother, please allow me to-" Saang tried, to no avail.

"HOW DARE YOU WORRY ME LIKE THIS. I HAVE BEEN UP ALL NIGHT SCARED TO DEATH FOR YOU. I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU WOULD DO THIS TO ME-" Shyreen suddenly cut herself off and blinked at the blue-haired woman standing just off to her son's right, "oh, hello Ianthe, it's so wonderful to see you. Of course I'm not mad at you, are you hungry darling?"

And then before Ianthe could answer turned back to the other three, "EXPLAIN. NOW." Her words didn't specify who but her eyes landed squarely on Siobhan.

• Stressed
The ride home was exceptionally quiet. No one spoke, only the sound of the horses that carried them. Sybil refused to change back, she was sad because Saang was mad, yelled at her even. Saang never yelled at her, she was his Itty bitty Sibby after all.

They finally reached home, and she jumped off the horse and scrambled up the stairs behind the rest. It seemed Momma knew they were home, she could hear the angry approach in her tiny bones.

Sybil scrambled underneath Saang's feet as Momma began to yell. First Saang, and now Momma. It was too much for the baby fae. She ran for the sofa and buried herself in the blanket that rested there. Tiny paws covering tiny ears as Momma tore into Saang.

Ianthe Saang Lusce Siobhan Lusce

Siobhan knew her mothers words were directed at her and she looked down at the ground with a guilty look letting the silence envelop the room for a few moments. "Sybil wouldn't listen to me and took off after Saang when he left. When I tried to stop her, she threw a fit."

She glared over at couch where the baby Lusce was pouting over getting yelled at by Saang still. Siobhan could've been the bigger person, but in that moment someone else needed to get the scary glare of Momma Lusce. Yes, someone else besides her. "Ianthe kicked Sybil in the face!" Siobhan looked over at the kelpie with a slight hint of apology in her eyes. Not that much though.

Ianthe Saang Lusce Sybil Lusce

Ianthe was not stupid. A head needed to roll and hers was the only one with blue hair but, the kelpie had not made a life for herself in the art of smuggling by letting that head be hers. The transformation from cold and feral to scared and vulnerable happened as Siobhan spoke so that when Shyreen glanced back at the young fae she would see nothing but the perfect picture of a victim. Her brown eyes melted with the beginnings of tears, her lips trembled as her teeth gnawed at them nervously, and her whole posture was that of a horse that expected another crack of the whip. She even flinched when Sio shouted her accusation and ducked her head.

"I-it was on instinct, she brandished a knife at me just after the three of them cornered me in the market. I was trapped."

Rule one: Never corner a Kelpie. Their instincts are to use whatever force necessary to get away.
- The Kelpie Handbook, by Lorg Al'Took.
She'd see the book in the Lusce library the last time she had visited and had no doubts the Lusce matriarch had read it.

"Please, Mistress Lusce, I don't know what I have done to upset you. But please don't send me back t-to there," plump, perfect tears began to roll down her cheeks and her voice shook. There was no question of where 'there' was, the horrific jail cells that had been her home for 400 long years forged of iron and ice. She rubbed her wrists in memory of the cuffs for theatrical effect. "I have only ever served you well, I thought, Mistress. After my family chose the other Prince, you are all I have left. I couldn't bare it.."

Honestly, her sob should alone would had won awards.

• Popcorn
Shyreen's livid green gaze positively vibrated with heated motherly anger as the excuses came tumbling from her daughter's mouth.

Saang, having grown far too smart over his many years of living in a house filled to the brim with women and estrogen, remained silent and let his mother take the reins of the discussion. A glance was given to Sybil's fluffy retreating form, her tail a proper puff of fear. Mother Lusce could put the fear of the Gods into anyone given enough time and wine.

But then - BUT THEN - Ianthe turned on the waterworks and all bets were off. No. No no. Please don't - be merciful ~

Plump.

Perfect.

TEARS.

A horrible frown gripped Saang's face as he watched the show unfold and the man's armored hands wavered at his front, desperate to grab the woman into a tight, warm, secure embrace and tell her everything would be okay. They didn't mean it! How could he let this happen to his dearest kelpie.

"Uh huh," Shyreen leveled a look of profound disbelief on the Kelpie and rounded back on her son with a renewed vigor of righteous fury, "Put. The girls. To bed."

"...yes ma'am," Saang whimpered, lips pursed as he held back emotions. Stiff-backed, he turned to shoosh Siobhan toward the grand staircase and plucked Sybil from the couch, blanket and all, bundling the tiny foxlette into his arms and trudging up the stairs with a look of fretful dejection on his face.

Shyreen turned back to Ianthe, propped a threatening eyebrow at her, smiled, and motioned for her to join her, "Let's talk Red Ribbon Rotary over a bite, hm? You've missed the last few meetings..."

Last edited:
  • Nervous
Sybil only burrowed more as Momma put on her scary voice. She didn't even pop out to defend herself against the nasty blue haired lady. She was wrestling with big emotions and was having a hard time navigating how she really felt.

Soon enough, Saang scooped her up and headed for the stairs. She wrestled put of the blanket and shifted back to her tiny fae frame. She put chubby hands on either side of Saang's face, her own mournfully sad.

"I'm really sorry Saangy, I just wanted to help." Her tiny lips trembled, and she buried her face against his chest. "I didn't mean to make you angry, or make Momma angry." She sniffled softly, she just loved her brother so much. She wanted to be just like him.

Siobhan didn't even try to argue with her mother as she threw a glare at Ianthe. Bitch. How was it that she had gotten in trouble while the kelpie that had kicked Sybil in the fucking face got invited to go eat. It was bullshit. Siobhan didn't say anything as she stomped up the stairs and went to her room.

The loud slamming of the door reverberated through the home.

Well, she hadn't been shouted at when the others had so... she'd class it as a victory for her. Blue-haired kelpie 1 - red-haired demons 0. She dabbed poetically at her tears and sniffed as the girls were rounded up to continue the act until an iron arm wound about her own shoulders.

Shit.

Ianthe sighed and sagged in resignation as she was led to her own fate worse than death. She'd have much rather have been grounded.

"I know," Saang replied quietly, gently rubbing at Sybil's back as he followed after Sio - pausing shortly as she slammed her door and giving a defeated sigh. So much drama, so few hours in the day.

"Sometimes you help best by doing as you're told. I know that sounds boring but when you listen, you find opportunities to help out in new ways." He stepped into her room and set her down on the end of her bed, leaning over to smile warmly at her, "I am so glad that you want to help though and I know I can always count on you, my brave and willing little fox. Now come, let's get you cleaned up and into your nightgown."

In the smaller receiving room Shyreen sat Ianthe down at a more private table and called in the help to bring in something warm to eat and drink, "I'm sure whatever happened it wasn't you to start it. Sybil is the tiniest little spitfire gremlin I've ever pushed out from between my legs and I pity the man who tries to tie her down when she's older."

"But I would appreciate if you would refrain from bludgeoning my daughters in the face moving forward. Heaven knows a pretty face is one of their few assured safety nets in this Court," the Lusce matriarch fixed Ianthe with a look of strained indignity for the offense, "had I known Saang would be bringing you here I would have prepared a bit more for you. It's been so long, how are things in the wilds?"

• Sip