Private Tales The Free City

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Zathria At'Arel

Drow Commander
Character Biography
Link
proxy.php

Zathria and Vyx'aria had traveled through the forests for some time, and had they more troops, Zathria was sure they would have been attacked already by the creatures following them in the trees. The Drow commander had a feeling that nothing passed the borders of this place without the locals knowing about it. The entire region had a vague sense of magic that seemed to cling to her as she moved, and were it not for years of being alert to dangers within the underrealm, she likely never would have even noticed the scouts following their small party down the forest roads.

Most of the trip to the Kingdom of Telerian had passed without incident, and now that they were here, Zathria couldn't help but think that it seemed oddly peaceful. It was almost unsettlingly peaceful. Small signposts marked the way along the paths to the "free city" as it was called. It served as the capital of the kingdom, and the home of the Lord Protector of the kingdom.

As they drew closer, the foot traffic along the paths became notably thicker, with many people casting unpleasant glances at the approach of the dark elves. Nevertheless, no one bothered them or approached, for everyone here knew that the first law of Telerian was to make no trouble.

Finally, the first buildings of the city came into view, and with it the first of the local militia. The first man to approach them was an elf, tall and grizzled who had the look of having fought a hundred battles. He was missing an eye on one side but his other judged them with an appraising gaze.

What's your business here? he asked as he approached. In the background, the Drow group would be able to see other warriors - elves, dwarves, and others - shifting uncomfortably as they watched the newcomers. It was clear that stories of the Drow had reached even the forest kingdom, and the woodland elves in particular appeared to be the most unsettled by the sudden appearance of their dark skinned kin.

Last edited:
  • Yay
Reactions: Vyx'aria
Vyx had the grumpiest expression on her face. She even completed the look with her arms crossed over her chest, “I don’t trust surface elves,” She said moodily for the 100th time as she walked alongside Zathria, “You know they’re the reason we’re called fairies and other similar names, right? They prance around in moonlight and eat leaves,” She grimaced at the thought, “And make insufferable music with flu- Hey are you listening?” Vyx hissed as she caught Zathria staring off into the distance to admire the foliage all around them.

This didn’t improve Vyx’s mood at all, and she decided to shut up the rest of the way. Vyx saw a few people wandering by on horses and she had to ponder how useless the mounts were. Horses couldn’t attack or help defend the rider in any way and they spooked so easily. And yet they were the most preferred mode of travel up here.

“How does one even climb on a horse?” She muttered out loud to herself as she watched a rather rotund woman with far too much chest clip clop along by them. She was gasping for breath just from riding a horse.

As they arrived, they were immediately greeted with a tall elf that regarded them with suspicion. Vyx was surprised at the height of the elf, certainly not used to seeing tall elven men.

“We come in peace,” She said, in disbelief over such words passing her lips, “I am Vyx’aria Tor’Rahel and this is Zathria At’Arel of the Drow,” She gestured to the latter, “We had hoped to find some welcome here within your lands. Our people have not had quarrel in the past, and I would very much like to keep it as such. Will allow us entry?”

• Haha
Reactions: Zathria At'Arel
Zathria didn't particularly care for the surface, but she had forced herself to begin to grow accustomed to it. The forest, she had realized, was exceptional for offering concealment and protection, and she wondered if that was the reason that this city had been erected here.

She was vaguely aware of Vyx criticizing the surfacers, and she couldn't blame the queen. Zathria was certainly no fan of them either, but she had also grown more curious about them the more time she had spent here. They were... very different from those in the underrealm. Granted, they were also a lot squishier, but they lived their lives in a completely different manner that the commander wasn't sure she would ever understand.

I don't know, she said, shaking her head in response to the question about mounting a horse.

At least the orcs ride wargs, she said, reflecting Vyx'aria's unspoken thoughts that horses were somewhat worthless for either attack or defense.

Zathria said nothing as the elven man approached. A man. That was who they had to deal with? And he had the audacity to question them?! She tried to check her thoughts before speaking, but thankfully the queen handled things a bit more diplomatically.

The man's one eye squinted as if evaluating them once again.

Very well. But the free city deals harshly with those who would cause trouble, he pointed out, though a moment later he stepped aside to allow them to pass.

The free city prided itself on being open to anyone and judging only by the actions of the individual. It was a safe haven for many, and it was one of the things that had brought it to the attention of the drow.

Nevertheless, the tall captain of the guard watched them as they left before summoning one of his soldiers.

Inform the Lord Protector of their arrival, he said, and the man hurried off deeper into the town.

As they walked, Zathria couldn't help letting her eyes sweep over the vibrant colors of the city. Water ran freely down the sides of the streets in small streams and flowers grew all around.

The looks they received didn't decrease as they moved further in, but still no one approached them.

This city doesn't seem very defensible, she muttered to herself as they walked. She couldn't turn off the tacticians mind at any time, but she suspected the trouble with assaulting the city was reaching the city. That not to mention the rumors of a dragon that protected the valley.

Should we look around the city before trying to find whatever passes for a palace here? she asked. She wasn't even sure that they would be allowed a meeting having come in relatively humble appearance and without official declaration.

• Yay
“Look around?” Vyx asked, quirking an eyebrow, “You’re beginning to sound like a surface dweller,” She quipped, “Would you like me to serenade you with a lute next?” Vyx had to try hard to keep a smile from cracking across her face. Despite her race and position, Vyx allowed herself moments of banter here and there, especially around Zathria.

“The commanding positions are held by men,” Vyx said with a sigh, “A city will never succeed without a woman at the helm. Do you know of the trade routes through here?” This had been Zathria’s idea and Vyx wanted to know the thought process behind suggesting a meeting with these people.

She could hear a rush of water nearby and walked over to view a waterfall in the distance. Vyx rubbed her chin in thought as she gazed at it, watching a few elven children splash and play around in the pool below.

“Our children don’t do that…” She said quietly, listening to the sound of giggles and laughter, “I can’t even remember the last time I laughed like that.”

• Cry
Zathria frowned as if offended.

For reconnaissance! she objected quietly. A surfacer?! Never!

You never know how negotiations will go, she muttered grumpily, always planning for the military arm of diplomacy. She preferred a battle to this tiptoeing, double meaning subtlety.

She nodded as Vyx'aria asked about the reasoning for picking this kingdom for negotiations and took a moment to gather her thoughts.

This kingdom has been an obstacle to merchants without right to pass through. It's heavily patrolled by the local inhabitants who are quite capable in forested warfare, she said.

Routes through here allow much easier access to everything east and even some to the north of our current holdings, she said before pausing.

It's also said that there's a dragon that acts as a guardian of these lands, she said. She had seen dragons first hand and they made her uncomfortable, but she also couldn't deny the potential power of having one on their side. Still, she questioned the validity of the claim or whether it was just a story told to scare people.

She followed along with Vyx in silence for a moment, watching the children at play. The underrrealm children lived too harsh of lives to allow times like this for long. The underworld was a dangerous place where you either became hard as the stone of the caverns or you died.

And it was the elves that caused that, she said quietly, a hint of anger in her tone.

If we make alliances and expand to the surface, what happens then? What is our end? To have children who live like that? she asked. She honestly didn't know. War had been her life for decades and she, too, couldn't remember the last time she had simply unwound. It wasn't a complaint, but it did leave her wondering where this would all lead them. No matter the answer, she was at her Queen's side for it all, though.

---​

Not far away from the two women, a tall, elven man walked down the street. He watched the pair of women for a moment as they watched the children before approaching.

Welcome to the Free City. My name is Caranthir, he said as he drew closer.

We don't get many Drow in these parts. What brings you all the way out to our humble kingdom? he asked as he drew alongside them. He wore a sword at his side and light armor that was ornately carved, but he carried himself with a grace and confidence that didn't point to him being a guard.

• Popcorn
Vyx wanted to scoff at the idea of having Drow children behave like that, but she couldn’t bring herself to do so. She could only watch the carefree ways they played and laughed full of mirth. She thought back to her own time as a child and how it mostly consisted of painful memories and emotional suppression. It had been a lifetime of training and conditioning to be a cold and calculated warrior.

“They would grow weak,” She said quietly, though her tone wasn’t entirely convincing. Vyx was distracted when the elf male approached, and she was genuinely startled when he spoke. She turned to look at him, marveling at the taller heights of the elves here. They were quite a bit taller than their Falwood cousins, and the women here rivaled Drow women in height.

“We have come to find friends among your city,” Vyx said quietly, almost cringing at the word ‘friends’, “What is your role here, Caranthir?” She eyed his ornate armor for a moment. A set like that would fetch quite the price in the Underrealm.

• Thoughtful
Zathria had to agree with the queen. Surely the children would grow weak. That couldn't be allowed, could it? The world was a dangerous place and Zathria knew she wouldn't be alive today were it not for the discipline instilled in her at a young age, whether that discipline was miserable or not.

Zathria watched the man who had approached with suspicion that she tried not to let show in her eyes. She didn't trust these people, whether they acted inviting or not.

---​

The man's eyes watched the two women with no less appraisal than they had given to him. He didn't think they were simple travelers, though that still remained to be revealed. He couldn't help but notice that the woman who spoke seemed to almost choke out her first sentence as if it were acidic in her mouth.

Hmm, he said, almost absentmindedly as he thought about what she said. Surely if there were other Drow in the city it would have come to his attention, which raised his curiosity further.

I suppose you could say I'm something of a guardian of the city. I watch out for her interests, he said.

Fear not, the Free City prides itself on being open to all those who come in peace, so you'll find no trouble from me, but I must say I was surprised to hear of your arrival. Perhaps I could help you in finding your friends, though. Since I'm here, he offered.

Though, it seems I've failed to catch either of your names, he said with a quirked eyebrow.

Vyx realized she needed to break this habit of constantly failing to introduce herself. She was accustomed to the Underrealm and Zar’Ahal, where she was known to her people by now.

“I am Vyx’aria,” She would let Zathria introduce herself, “Is it smart….opening your city to everyone?” Vyx had to ask aloud, looking around and not spotting the best structures to keep others out. There had been rumors of a dragon protector, but those were just rumors, right?

“Curious you are surprised of our arrival if you’re the protector, eh?” Vyx scoffed, crossing her arms over her chest. This was where her blunt and less than social personality was getting through. Hopefully Zathria had a means of smoothing things over.