Open Chronicles The Depths of Myrkfell

A roleplay open for anyone to join
Character Biography
Link
Open tomes with twigs pointing out paragraphs within. Scrolls unrolled to reveal specific sections. Parchment with words and numbers scribbled all over them. These items littered the desk of a visibly annoyed human in fine clothes. Fresh wrinkles growing older as he frowned. Salt and pepper hair thinner than it once was being idly pushed back and rubbed. Eyes focused not on the material before him but on the one speaking endlessly while pointing to each different text being referred to.

Theodore's eyes were locked onto his research. "See? It is all here. Location. Layout. Possible areas of interest. Myrkfell exists and has likely gone untouched since it was abandoned. All here for the taking if you just fund the expedition Mr. Havird."

Havird frowned more. "Your research is impressive Mr. Aleson, but for the fifth time tonight: no. I will not waste my hard earned coin on folly and rumors. Without hard proof that is all this is. You are free to go wander the Spine as much as you wish without my support. If you do find anything of value then I would be pleased to offer you a hefty price, but that is all I will do. I hope you understand. Good day."

"But-" Theodore said as he motioned to all of his research in a slight panic.

Mr. Havrid stood up. Eyes focused with a mild fury on the younger man. "I said good day Mr. Aleson."

A motion had guards moving to remove Theodore and his research as quickly as possible from Mr. Havrid's sight.

==============================
Posters began to spring up around the small trade city between the Allir Reach and the Spine:
Looking For Able Minds and Bodies! Expedition into the Spine to Explore the Lost Dwarven City of Myrkfell! Inquire at the Rusty Flagon! Ask for Theodore Aleson!

==============================

Theodore sat at his table with a slight frown. His eyes locked onto a journal he was both reading and actively writing within. All his research was spread out before him as well as a plate of half eaten finger foods, a half drunk mug of ale, and the grubby paw of a raccoon patting about.

Things had not gone well so far. All he had gotten was mockery and shady individuals no doubt looking to rob the expedition blind the moment they were out of sight of any guard. Myrkfell was a myth after all. A rather obscure one at that. A dwarven city that had grown fat off mines, crafts, and trade suddenly abandoned for no known reason. One none had found. Yet an unknown scholar was claiming he had? It was no wonder no one was taking him seriously. He had to admit he likely wouldn't either....

And now he was getting desperate....

Making his way back into civilization on his donkey, Junacho figured he could rest up in the small trade city. A light rain had wetted his cloak and hood. Sitting in front of him on the saddle was Sophie, his diminutive pixie partner. Who held a large leaf over herself to hide from the droplets pelting them. Riding his steed to the stables to be housed and taken care of while he set off to find accommodations for themselves after flicking the stable master two silver coins..

Stepping onto the streets noted a modest poster, it looked a little weathered and there was some unpleasant graffiti written on it as well. Grabbing the poster he ripped it down into his hands and read it closer.The Spine huh?” Juancho questioned himself.

“Hmm, what’s that another bounty?” Sophie asked as they fluttered up next to him. Looking down at the poster as well.

“No, even better.” He replied to her before pocketing the poster.

Not long after Jauncho made it to the doors of the Rusty Flagon, reading that that was the place to find out more about the poster. Stepping through the entrance of the establishment. The hooded figure and their tiny friend drew some attention from the patrons as he approached the bar. There Jauncho asked the one tending a brief question before they pointed out a young man off to the side by himself.

Stepping over to Theodore Juancho pulled out the poster and showed it off to the man as he looked down at them from their table. His features obscured some from his hood, although his purple hues showed through. Sophie still fluttered next to him, having dropped her leaf umbrella now that they were sheltered from the rain. “Mr. Aleson I presume? Are you still taking applicants for this expedition of yours?” Juancho asked, his voice spoke with an forgien accent uncharacteristic of the region.

Theodore Aleson

Almost there.... Almost. There.... The paw kept up its obsession. The plate was close. Oh so close....

Suddenly there was an interruption. A poster with unflattering scribbles added placed upon the table. Theo looked to it then to the one who had delivered it back to him as the paw vanished as if it had never been there. The scholar placed his quill in its inkwell before taking the plate of food with one hand as the other flipped the journal to a pair of blank pages and set it down in front of him.

As he places the plate upon the floor that soon was followed by happy chittering and slightly disgusting eating noises, the young scholar studied the new arrival. Strange accent, perhaps Cortossi, and purple eyes. Odd, but not the oddest thing he had seen in his life. Alliria was a city that attracted the strangest of sorts.

Theo straightened up in his seat and looked to the fellow. He rest his hands in front of him like a proper scholar or merchant might. With a collected look he said, "I am. Who do I have the pleasure of speaking with? And why should I consider your application for my expedition? What skills might-" His eyes glanced over to the pixie for a moment. "-the two of you possess to earn you a spot in it?"

As if on some kind of theatrical cue, a large raccoon suddenly jumped up with food crumbs covering its paws and mouth onto his lap. Sammy chittered up at Theo with little grubby paws to demand more. Theo just sat there doing his best to pretend it wasn't happening at all.

Juancho Ricco

So many new ones see me. Feel their eyes upon me. Do they feel unease with me?

Marchosias walks along the little road next to the squire carefully, wings folded neatly and tail curled up close, as they together search for a gathering location called the Rusty Flagon. Marchosias looks for the pictogram of a cup and the glyphs of writing amongst the dizzying array of other signs and colourful townsfolk and shop window displays. New, bright dresses here, an apothecary smelling of camphor and tea and resin there.

"You have your paper-notes and stick-coal. Young Squire." Marchosias swings their neck over into view of their companion, head tilting to the side, curious as a cat, as they dance around a puddle.

"You have your armour and your weapon. You have your cover-boots and your pack reserves."

The creature pauses, looks about intently. Examines a mug-shaped sign with wavy lines above it, yet decrees the glyphs on it to be incorrect, and turns to face their companion again with that same curious tilt.

"You have your wits and your bravery. Young Squire."

The cool drizzle of rain makes Marchosias ruffle their fur and feathers protectively, ears laid down to keep their insides dry. A sign appears just ahead of them: A Rusty Flagon.

"You will be ready. Young Squire."
They edge nearer, ducking their head quite low in concern, as they approach the door, and Marchosias pulls it open.

Theodore Aleson Juancho Ricco Kaida

Well well, what was this then? An adventurer stuck in a rut, with none but his chubby grub-monger to keep him company.

Peh. Best not get involved. Least, that's what Bengt told himself as he sipped his honeyed mead at the bar. He had read the posters. Had a laugh at them. But. Well. It didn't help that the crew he had been running brigand with was a lousy lot. Helped less that they got scattered by none but three horseman and a loud elf lass neither.

Lucky for Bengt, he hadn't been made. His gear was still his own, while the other lot had surrendered theirs.

Still. He ditched the lot and was making his way back to more familiar ground. Might be he could find some company in this lot. Might be they were more trouble than it would be worth. Goin back to dwarf country and all. No good could come of that for the ol' Canary.

He took another long sip from his tankard when the door cracked open, an owl faced nightmare there staring ugly through the open frame. Bengt's face twist with disgust, his nose scrunched as if he had smelled something awful.

"What in the bottomless fuck is that?" he asked, and took another long draught without breaking his stare.

Theodore Aleson Juancho Ricco Marchosias Kaida

Jauncho eyed Theo as he asked his question. Before he managed to speak he watched as a chubby racoon jumped into view and onto the man’s lap. Who oddly enough paid little to no mind with the creature. Juancho and Sophie both turned to look at one another as if to confirm that there was indeed a racoon on the man. With a shrug Juancho looked back at the man to answer their question. “Well I’m present, which might help.” He said as if subtly pointing out that it seemed as though Theo had no other volunteers. So by virtue” of him showing up with interest went in his favor as an “applicant”. “Name’s Juancho too by the way, and this here is Sophie.” He gestured to the pixie fluttering beside him. “As for skills, um, I’m particularly well traveled and I’m no stranger to the open roads and the outdoors. When it comes to carrying supplies you might also be hard pressed to find a better applicant than me. And I possess a mighty loyal steed who’s at the stables as we speak.”

Jauncho seemed to leave out his magical aptitude for now as he looked to Sophie and chose to speak for her. “And for Sophie here, I guess you could say she’s a good look out whenever she cares to be useful.” The passive aggressive comment caused Pixie to eye Juancho in shock before she turned her back to him and crossed her arms with a verbal. “hmph!” noise.

Then before he continued to explain his mystical capabilities he sorta felt like he’d been cut off by the verbal astonishment of one of the other patrons. Juancho and his pixie companion then turned back to look at what it was. Seeing what the dwarven drinker and many other gasping occupants were seeing. Sophie let out a startled “Eep!” before hiding behind Jauncho and clutching to him tightly, as if instantly forgetting that she was supposed to be offended and mad with him.

The scholar sat and waited as grubby paws patted at his chin and chest. Chittering begs for more snacks. As much as he wished this scene wasn't playing out before his current applicants it was. The looks on the pair's faces told him that they were very much judging him, and the expedition, on what the food gremlin was doing right now.

Theo would need to address Sammy later and give her a scolding then. For now his questions were being answered and skills were being mentioned. He took his quill and tapped it so it had a proper amount of ink on its tip for writing. Onto the first blank page he began scribbling down names followed by a quick description and mentioned skills. Notes for later. An obvious thing for anyone organizing anything to do.

His follow up was interrupted however when someone at the bar yelled. Sophie eeped and the sight was obviously why. Some kind of nightmare creature combining a cat and owl had its head stuck through the door.

In a quiet voice under his breath Theo whispered, "Goddess of Fortune, please be your blessing...."

Sammy skittered off his lap and under his chair as he stood up. He cleared his voice a bit then called out towards the beast, "If you are here to apply for the expedition it will be a moment. I am currently with other applicants. Please wait your turn or I will have to request you leave." He was about to sit down but decided to add before he did, "Thank you."

Theo got himself resettled back into his seat. Panicked chittering and patting paws coming from beneath him. His attention went back onto Juancho and Sophie. His eyes searched for his quill only for him to remember it was still in his hand. He dabbed it into the ink well then tapped it after.

"Juancho, you were saying you have experience with travel and the logistics of it correct? Are you interested in a quartermaster position or some other role?" His focus went from the man to the pixie as he paused. "And Sophie, I assume you are wishing to fill a scout position. Is this correct or do you have other skills that are better suited for another position?"

Lady Alliria Goddess of Luck and Fortune bless him. This expedition was already looking cursed.

Juancho Ricco Bengt Bertuli Marchosias

Last edited:
Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back..Well, in this case the cat in question was a dragonette maid. Opalescent eyes and emerald scales. Small for a dragon, but she was young, she would one day grow into giant splendor.

In this moment, the squire was in her human form. Humans tended to not enjoy her presence as a dragon, unless she was at home. Kaida had grown restless and being a dragon, this meant exploring and stretching her wings.

She was not alone in her endeavors, a companion and friend beside her in her travels. Many thought her companion to be odd, terrifying even. To her, they were no different than any human wandering the earth, and she treated them no differently.

"With you beside me, my friend, I have no fear." She gazed up at her companion, a toothy grin upon her face as they approached their destination. A dragon is never afraid, and never backs down.

They were immediately greeted by the smell of meat, and mead, and smoke. Kaida curled her lip slightly but her nose and eyes adjusted quickly enough. It seemed Marchosias had caught the attention of every patron, and Kaida huffed slightly. Humans were rude creatures.

"My friend and I are looking for a Theodore." She announced it to the tavern, and it was largely ignored. Kaida tapped her foot and scanned the room. "Who do you think it is?"

Marchosias Theodore Aleson Juancho Ricco Bengt Bertuli

Seeing that the beastly stranger didn’t seem to be a threat. Jauncho heard Theo again and turned back to face them. All the while he grabbed the back of Sophie’s little green tunic with two fingers and moved her to face the man with him where she just sorta dangled.

A quartermaster, the position didn’t sound too bad, with his wondrous bag of holding it could make for a capable place to store inventory. If he felt particularly fiendish if most of the supplies was stored in it he could steal it pretty easily. Though he had no desire to make new enemies. Nodding he spoke, “Yeah that sounds like a good idea, I also know some magic, and have a steed in the stables.” After which Sophie was asked if she would like to be a scout of some kind. Looking up she nodded excitedly.

“Yeah! I can be a great scout, I can go invisible and turn into animals.” The pixie explained. Juancho hadn’t heard Kaida’s question, but Sophie had. Looking back around she shivered at the sight of the owly beast but noticed that everyone else was pretty much ignoring her. So the “brave” pixie fluttered over to get the squire’s attention. With a little wave she spoke to them. “Over here, my friend and I are meeting them right now.” Pointing out Jauncho and Theodor as she said so. Although getting close to the dragon was scary to her and she quickly zipped back to her hooded companion.

Kaida | Theodore Aleson | Bengt Bertuli | Marchosias

Last edited: