Private Tales The Broken Crown

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Averey nudged the plate of food toward him.

"You need to eat before we do."

A frown tugged on her lips.

"Where will we go from here?" Was there more desert travel? Wilderness travel? "And I'm guessing you want to go before the Church of Light comes sniffing around?" She sipped on her tea.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Alre Castielle
"Yeah I'd rather not get crucified today." He told her, no small amount of sarcasm clinging to his voice.

He stepped over towards Averey, still entirely in the nude, and picked up the plate of food that she had provided for him. "Thanks."

Alre said quietly.

The once prince stuffed some of the food quickly into his mouth, clearly eager to get something in his stomach.

"We'll take a ship to the east." He told her. "There's a town came Vel Luthien, a city controlled by Vel Anir. We'll land there and then travel across the West Road to my home."

It would be decidedly more comfortable than the desert.

• Nervous
Reactions: Mariana
She tried to keep her gaze eye-level. She really did. He was making it rather hard by stopping right in front of her. She forked a piece of sausage on her plate.

Paused and looked at Alre's face.

"Controlled by Vel Anir?" A shake of her head. "That won't be much better for me than this Radiant Church. It's no secret how they feel about elves." Fingertips came up to brush across the pointed tips of her ears.

• Popcorn
It was a good enough point. "You'll be alright."

Alre told her.

Vel Anir was notorious for it's xenophobia, but Vel Luthien sat in the lands to the north of the Fortress City. They were a tad more...open about things, and even then Vel Anir itself no longer outlawed other species. At least ostensibly.

"Worst they do is run us out of town." He told her. "And I don't think they'll do even that once we flash our coin."

Most people chose business over hate. "We'll only be stopping through."

Alre told her with a self assured nod.

• Yay
"Speaking of," she straightened and edged her way away from his naked body, leaving her empty plate but taking her tea. She turned her back to him, choosing instead to look out the window into the alley below. Someone was taking a piss.

She grimaced.

"We'll need to make more coin. Unless you think we can make it to your kingdom with what we have?" The elf turned back to him and said quietly. "I would feel comfortable if we only stopped through for as short as possible." After all, it wouldn't be him being taken in the night and thrown in some prison or to suddenly disappear. Although, a part of her didn't think any vel anir soldiers would survive if they tried it on her, considering the power that was roiling beneath her skin.

• Popcorn
He nodded. "I don't disagree, but staying here to make coin is dangerous."

Alre didn't know the laws of Cortos, not as well as some of the other places that they would venture. Vel Lethuin might have been easier for him, though he was not sure if she would want to stay there for much longer either.

"We have enough coin for a ship, at least." Alre said. "When we get home there are...a few I can call upon still."

Though it would be putting them in danger.

More so than he would prefer.

Yet risk was a part of this game. If he wanted to get his kingdom back.

• Yay
"No, I agree." Fingers came up to press a strand of curly auburn hair beneath one pointed ear as she looked at him. Really looked at him. Staying here would delay her purpose too. The inevitable end.

And agreeing with him was certainly a first.

"I think you're dry enough," she commented, letting her eyes slide down his form and back up quickly. "Let's get going."

• Popcorn
"What? Not enjoying the view?" Alre asked with a shrug of his shoulders and a gesture at himself.

He smirked at her, but then immediately stood and turned on his heel to walk over towards his clothes. A smile tugged at his lips as he gave her one last look. His muscles flexed slightly as he did so, but a second later he began to drag on his trousers.

"Lets." He agreed with a nod as he strapped on his chest plate and grabbed his sword.. "Harbor."

Alre told her. "Find the first ship heading to Vel Lethuin."

• Haha
"It's a good thing one of us still has nudeness as a mystery," she huffed and gathered her one scrap of jacket he'd lent from his own. She still didn't know he'd peeked last night. Good for his health and sake that she didn't.

After settling with the inn keeper, they found themselves in the crowded docks.

Averey found her skin beginning to itch slightly and swallowed as members of the Radiant Church walked by.

A whispered breath to Alre.

"It's starting again. I can feel the power building beneath these marks." They would need another release soon. Fingers slid across her bare arms and the inking there, They tightened along her limbs.

• Popcorn
He smiled at her. "Sure is."

Alre said, not letting her get another word in before they left. Before they knew it both of them were standing on the dock, Alre leaning into her as Averey whispered in his ears. He frowned for a few seconds, listening to her and nodding.

"We'll find a ship that leaves tonight." Alre assured her. "Then get you out of the city a ways."

They would have to, if they wanted to live. "Would...water dampen the affect?"

He asked as they walked along the pier, no taunt leaving his lips this time.

• Thoughtful
She wondered.

"I'm not sure," she finally admitted. "I felt it building every night on the last ship, so perhaps not." One of the priests gave her a long look, eyes sliding to the marks she picked at on her skin. She forced herself to lower her hands to her sides and found herself stepping closer to Alre, brushing against him as if the folds of his clothing would help cover her skin.

Her chin lifted as she forced herself to look down the docks. Crew were busy unloading nets of fish and cargo. Sandaled feet picked her way carefully along the slick-wood. Chin tipped down to the last slip on the docs. "What about that ship?" It wasn't grand. Smaller than the one they'd been on but it looked built for speed.

• Popcorn
"No, i meant will being in the water make the effect smaller." Not on the ship, he was talking about throwing her onto the sea and letting the magic run its course there.

Once it had he could jump in and drag her out after.

Alre already knew that he would have to given the fact that she passed out after the exertion. A fact that at this point he wouldn't really mind. The peace and quiet he got after the events was always welcome for him.

"Alright. Seems good enough." The Ship was a cutter, or at least it seemed to be.

If he had to guess the vessel stuck close to shore and moved quickly, exactly the type of ship they would want. Alre cleared his throat, motioning for Averey to remain at his side as he moved towards the vessel.

"Excuse me." He hailed a man that he guessed was the first mate. "Are you headed to Vel Lethuin, and are you taking on passengers?"

Alre asked, deciding it was best to be bold.

• Cthulhoo rage
It was a human female. She had some tattoos of her own and her eyes slid over Averey's, admiring the ones on the elf for a moment. She had piercings everywhere and short-clipped hair. Muscled arms crossed beneath her chest as she eyed them both.

"Don't usually take passengers but for enough coin I could be convinced."

She had a cigar half in her mouth and took a nice long puff, releasing the smoke like dragon's breath.

Averey already liked her. A lot.

• Wonder
"Coin we have." He told the Captain with a nod of his head.

Alre was not particularly concerned about the price, knowing that they would need to leave the city as soon as possible.

They'd lost much of the gold during Avereys last...incident, but they still had enough to buy a small house. It would net them safely over the sea and to Vel Lethuin, beyond that though he was unsure. Particularly when they reached the lands controlled by his Uncle. Coin would only go so far when one feared for their life.

"One cabin will do." He said. "Are you leaving tonight?"

For a second the woman looked him over, then gave a curt nod.

"Aye, before dusk when the tide goes out."

That would work with Averey's...itch. "Excellent. Half now, half on arrival?"

Seemed fair him.

• Yay
The captain gave a slow nod and jerked her chin for them to go ahead and board as Alre paid up with her outstretched hand. Averey gave her thanks and as she and Alre boarded, the woman called after them.

"The cabin is more of a broom-closet but you both are welcome to it." It had one...very small bed and no space to rest on the floor. But that wasn't the captain's problem.

Averey boarded and went to the railing. Her skin was becoming hot again. She turned to the prince. "Your question before. About the water? I'm not sure what would happen if I released the power in the water. The water might be enough to hide it but I'm not sure. It's still building and I can feel it." She frowned, leaning over the railway.

• Popcorn
He frowned for a moment. "Well."

As far as he could tell there wasn't really much choice in the matter now. They had a few hours before the ship left, and that meant they had to get...whatever her magic was out of her. He frowned and then leaned into her a bit more.

His voice was kept low.

"Can you...trigger it?" Alre asked. "We may not have an opportunity after we leave."

Meaning she would end up killing them all.

• Dab
Her attention was still on the waters below. Fingers curled and uncurled at her sides. "I don't know," she murmured. "Maybe. Probably. If you piss me off enough..."

Alre considered the words for a moment.

Most of his life, especially over the last year, had been about self preservation. He cared little for others and mostly tried to survive in a world that wanted him dead. That was still true, that was who he was to his core.

He didn't want Averey to die, or hurt anyone else. He wasn't malicious or evil, but he sure as fuck wasn't about to put himself in danger either.

"Good to know." Alre said as he reached out and simply shoved her into the water.

• Yay
She didn't even have time to yelp as she plummeted into the cooler waters below. Luckily, for Alre's sake, she knew how to swim. And good thing it was a smaller ship that's she'd fallen from. Head popped above the surface, a scowl already lighting her face, auburn curls plastered to her skin.

"What in the goddess name, ALRE?!" She yelled up at him as the magic shot from her fingertips in an outward pulse beneath the water.

There was instant relief.

An an overwhelming tiredness that hit her.

• Popcorn
The water rippled, pulsed with a pretty light, and Alre took on a satisfied smile.

There was little doubt in his mind that at the very least he would be able to save the ship if Averey was about to...pop with her magic during her journey. That was a consolation prize if he had ever seen one, though he was more than glad for it.

Letting out a pleased whistle he slowly set down his things and stripped his clothes. "She fell in the water!"

He exclaimed.

"Don't worry! I'll save her!" The Prince shouted heroically as he took a few running steps and dove in after the Priestess.

• Haha
Her arms suddenly felt leaden. Legs that way too. Still, even with her sudden fatigue at the use of the magic that was borrowed, she could keep up that scowl at the prince. Even as his half-naked form was shooting through the air toward her.

"He-ey, watch it," she sputtered as he splashed next to her, a wave of water washing over her face. Her head slipped under but she pushed herself upward even as her eyes began to droop. One arm raised, then another, sluggishly going for the docks.

"I don't need someone to save me," she breathed at him as his head popped above the surface.

• Smug
He grabbed hold of her, popping up in the water and swimming towards the docks with little effort. "Sure you don't."

Alre said as he dragged her towards the dock, hearing the tiredness that clung to her voice. He was glad for that tiredness, it meant that he probably wouldn't have to hear a lecture for the next two hours or so.

That was always good.

"Just relax, Priestess." He told her as they swam towards the dock, his hand shifting her so she could grab onto the rudimentary ladder. "Go on."

He said with a gentle press on her hip.

• Yay
She wanted to press him away. Insist she was fine. But her limbs were too heavy as is. Her thoughts too drowsy. It took all her effort just to reach for that ladder and heave herself onto the docks. Though he pushed her in and made a snow of saving her. She’d begun to know him. See the potential he had. Even if he denied it himself.

So, as he climbed up after her, she turned to him. Perhaps it was the drowsiness talking. “Whatever happens in the coming days, just know it wasn’t your fault. Just know that, I accepted the consequences a long time ago. I believe you are better than you think you are,” the priestess added quietly even as she swayed on her feet.

She knew it wouldn’t make sense now. He’d get it later. When things were done.

Alre only raised an eyebrow.

He had never blamed himself for...well anything at all in his life. Everything had always been another's fault. There was no question of that, and he wouldn't change it now. "Sure sure."

The Prince said as he pushed her up onto the dock.

For Alre, at least for who he was, there was very little he could do wrong. His life had been stolen. His kingdom had been taken from him, his life taken away before he'd ever had a chance to live. None of that had been his fault, none of that had been him.

It was his uncle. His fathers weakness. Not him.

"Get some rest." He told the Priestess as they landed on the dock. "I'll get us on the ship."

She didn't weigh much after all.

She turned and looked at him even as her legs trembled with the effort to keep aloft.

"I know," she said quietly. Because in her tone that was it. She trusted him. She knew he was self-serving. But she still trusted him. Thought more of him. Even if others hadn't.

So, for once, she didn't fight it as he scooped her up. She pressed tightly against his chest, her head rolling against him as her eyes drooped and drooped. "I only give you a hard time because I care," she breathed against him but there was no sass in her words. No fight in her tone or her body.

• Thoughtful