Open Chronicles The Bounty

A roleplay open for anyone to join
They wouldn't be headed home anytime soon. Udalof cleared the area and served as vanguard for the shortish trip to the outpost.

Even if her father went after his life, it was highly unlikely that he'd get it. Udalof had trained since the age of six to fight, with a sword, bow, axe or even fist. He would be able to fight his way away from the man's amateur militia. Either way, he saw the former hostages to safety.

The trip was quiet for the most part. Hardly anyone spoke. Myrcella was used to that though. Udalof wasn't big on conversation through the ordeal. And most of the other victims were too shell-shocked to say much of anything.

Finally they reached the first outpost. The wagons were stopped and everyone was encouraged to get out. Myrcella stretched out assoon as her feet touched the ground. Her tummy grumbled as it had been some time since they had gotten food.

"Could we get something to eat, please?" Neither could pay, but hopefully they'd be offered some kind of charity.

The soldiers there at the post had been made aware of the situation. They already had food and replacement clothes for the former hostages. But they were a little short on space, so it was a little crowded. Udalof continued his patrolling, all the while looking out for inbound friendlies.

Myrcella knew that it would be quite some time before she was brought near to home. She had been travelling for days beforehand, and unless the hunter was moving them in circles, it was going to take just as many days to get back.

She took the food gladly, as well as the fresh clothes. However she was longing for a hot bath. Being out in the real world, it was much harsher than she realized. Back home she was sheltered and safe. It'll be nice to be among that again. There was safety there. And despite the guards and the hunter looking out for them, she didn't feel safe. Or at least, not as safe as she should have.

Her safety was not guaranteed, that much was true. However, Udalof had already stated that their parents had already been informed. Armies were on their way to help weed out and butcher any criminal to be found.

That night, Udalof stood over the cookfire, a large pot of broth and vegetables boiled over it. He was focused on the task at hand, but also distracted, as though he were trying to think.

Myrcella watched as some were reunited with their families. The number of kidnapped victimes remaining was growing smaller by the day. At least she didn't have to walk or ride so much. Carriages were on hand as well.

She looked to the hunter as he just sat there overlooking the fire. Myrcella had already eaten her fill of the stew, and yet his bowl was nearly full and getting cold. Quietly she approached him. "Hello. Your stew is getting cold. Aren't you hungry?" Of course something was on his mind, yet she wasn't sure of just what that was.

"Not hungry enough it seems." He says in a distant voice. "Besides, I can always reheat it if I need to. What do you need?"

As retracted as ever. But this time, his attitude wasn't cold or aggressive, just removed. There was most certainly something on his mind.

Myrcella took it upon herself to sit down beside him. She folded her hands and rested them on her knees. "I don't need much. And the things that I do need will come in time when I get back home." She studied the hunter for a moment or two, noting hoe reserved he was being. The hunter was like this before he handed her over to the men behind this whole plot. Was he having doubts?

"What's on your mind? Are you worried about your fate?" He could be worried about what her Father would do to him for all she knew.

"My fate isn't something I should be concerned about. What happens happens, and life is only temporary after all. Besides, if I had to fight your father's men wouldn't pose much of a threat." He says to her. "No, I'm thinking about my former employers. They aren't gone, and they won't stop until their goals have come to fruition. In other words, you and the others are still under threat, and we don't even know who's responsible. Who would want to start a war?"

"Are you sure that we'd still be targeted? Wouldn't they go somewhere else and go after other families instead? Afterall, we'd be under guard for a while now, wouldn't we?" At least Myrcella thought that she would be. Right now she wasn't so sure of when she'd venture outside after being returned home.

Her brows furrowed as she thought of different scenarios. Hopefully none of the people behind the kidnappings worked for her parents. That would be awful.

"I don't think that they'd just give up. They wanted you and other rich youths to start a war. Who would benefit from war? I think that this is a mafia like organisation. We shouldn't get too comfortable just yet."

"The ones that would benefit would be ones with nothing to lose. Other Lords, perhaps? Ones from outside of this cpuntry? If most of the people are killed off in war, that'd give them a better chance of stealing the land, wouldn't it?"

Myrcella chewed the inside of her cheek as she tried to think of other possibilites. "I don't know much about what goes on outside of the Estate. So my guesses probably aren't very good." She had been sheltered, of course. As most young ladies of her status were.