Private Tales The Baby-Sitters Club

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
If Noel was successful, maybe. It was no secret that the iron-mage was aiming high after graduation, and while Henk commended her for her dedication, it also meant she'd become a much higher class of Anirian than the rest of them. Still, he nodded slightly at her suggestion, not particularly in a mood to argue with her so soon after they'd finally found common ground.

Once they'd arrived back at the entrance to the passage back to the Academy, Henk set Casca about hauling all of the other students down into the hole one by one, as the small hatch was too big for all of them to descend at once. The quiet boy grunted a silent complaint but seemed too happy with himself to argue too much. Henk was watching him work when Noel asked him the question.

"What rush did you feel, Henk?"

It felt like his entire body stiffened at once. He'd made the foolish assumption she'd know exactly what he was talking about, and now, she'd put him on the spot. In hindsight, it really should have been obvious that she wouldn't know exactly how he'd felt. How could she? She controlled metal, not minds.

As Casca carried a stirring and mumbling Javier down the hatch, Henk turned his head to match her gaze, his tongue sliding into his cheek. "I enjoyed being close to you, Noel. For that little bit of time, it was like we weren't trained killers, we were just..." Henk shrugged, sighing out the next word. "...People. And I wanted more of it. That strange sensation in my chest, the what-if thoughts... I've never had to deal with those before."

He watched her for a moment, before tearing his pale blue eyes back to the hatch in the ground. "It's... ridiculous, I know. Crushes are something you expect from toddlers, but it highlights a weakness that the pre-revolution ways have. Isolate people from certain feelings, and it affects them even more heavily when they're eventually exposed to those feelings."

Clearing his throat, Henk took a step towards the hatch.

"That being said, I won't speak on the ball again unprompted. We still have a few more months to work together, and I don't want to make things any more difficult than they have to be."

Noel

• Aww
Reactions: Noel
Noel tensed for a moment as Henk spoke. She forced herself to keep her eyes trained on him but truthfully her mind was elsewhere. Running through drills in her head while trying to pay attention to the words he spoke, committing to memory the events of the day, shuffling through the various tasks she'd need to complete before she called it an evening.

Only after he finished speaking did she bother to clear her head. Remove all of the distractions.

"Those feelings can be," she looked down at her boots and before crossing her arms and turning her gaze to the side. "Dangerous."

It was an echo of the words the proctors constantly rammed into their skulls whilst they grew. Such lessons only increased in intensity when they'd all begun to enter their teen years. Caring for others, trying to help others, it would make you weak. Things like crushes were for toddlers, as Henk had already admitted.

She ran a hand through her hair and tucked the dark strands behind her ear. Taking the initiate before her into view for the first time today. Without distraction.

"I'm sorry."

What more was there to say? If she spoke further she may betray her own ambitions. Her own goals. There wasn't anything about her future that involved him. She would become the best and she couldn't be the best if she let... whatever it was... interfere with her ambition. She just couldn't. The proctors had made that clear.

Noel's cheeks flushed red and she broke her gaze once more. "I think we should go. Back to the academy, report on what happened." Perform their duties lest someone question what was going on in the corridor.

"I'm sorry."

It felt like the first thing Noel had actually said directly to his face all day. Ever since this assignment had begun she'd been avoiding his gaze, always finding a reason to keep her distance. Now, with her eyes fixed on his and a rosy hue shading her cheeks, Henk knew he hadn't been the only one to feel it.

"Don't apologize... I understand."

If things were different, if the two of them weren't trained killers with futures already determined for them long in advance, that momentary spark would have meant something. It was that thinking though, that brought the weight of disappointment to the pit of his stomach. And yet, Henk smiled as she broke her gaze, scarred features bending slightly, pale blue eyes following her hand as it pushed her ebony strands aside.

" You've got more to worry about than a softie, soon-to-be Archon Noel." A little chuckle left his lips. "Really, I should thank you." Henk didn't expect Noel to change. She was one of the most determined people he'd ever known, and he would only be a roadblock on the path to Archon she so diligently traveled. Yet still, Henk felt better as he uncrossed his arms to let them rest at his sides. "The way you looked at me... Realizing that I can feel this way for another person... It's opened my eyes quite a bit. Helped me decide what I'm doing after graduation."

Henk walked towards the hatch, lifting it open and peeking down into the gap. Casca had already begun carrying Lyra down the corridor, seemingly not too patient with the older pair of Initiates. A chuckle left Henk's lips as he began to climb down.

" You're right. I've run my mouth enough. Come on."

Noel

Last edited: