Private Tales Summa cum laude

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
"Literally no one will ever call you My Lord, Zael. I think it is more likely to be My Douchebag Castomir." She chuckled as she said it. She loved having the ability to joke around with people and not have to kill them later. Killing could happen still but she knew she wouldn't be forced to kill someone she liked.

--

After what seemed like years of getting ready, Iliana and Delaney walked out of their shared dorm towards the ballroom. The two girls entered the ballroom and immediately scanned the area for Eric and Zael.

Delaney looked beautiful and she knew it. Well...she looked hot as fuck too. If the Initiates could see her right now, they'd all have heart attacks! She wore a barely there red dress that showed off her long pale legs because of the two slits that rose all the way to her hips. Her breasts looked pretty great too - if she did say so herself - due to the low cut top part of the dress. Her lips were painted a dark red and her hair was pulled half up in intricate braids.

Zael Castomir

Should of known the College had a whole dedicated wing of the building for hosting balls, galas, and other big celebrations: the Grand Hall they called it. Even had a gigantic glass dome for a ceiling. The stars of the early evening were all clearly visible, and Pneria was positioned just so to look like an orange crown atop the apex of the dome. The glass dome didn't even rob the Grand Hall of chandeliers--there were three of them, huge, and they were all floating steadily above the dance floor. String instruments--harps, violins, lyres--were being played, fancy and elegant tunes to match the atmosphere of the Festival Ball.

The boys, including Zael and Eric, had all been made to stand inside the Hall along one of the curved walls and await the arrival of the girls. They were ordered such that the boy at the head of the line would be by the doors, his partner would walk in, he would bow to her and she curtesy to him, they'd lock arms and proceed to the dance floor, and then the next boy would step forward and the process would repeat. Nifty enough. And the professors didn't even have to beat any of the boys to get them in proper order--the male students were excited, and the professors were excited for them. Everyone was happy to be here. Heh, no way this was the environment back at the Academy's Ball.

Zael currently stood behind Eric in the line. He was dressed in all black just as he had planned: black waistcoat, black shirt, black slacks, black ascot (he didn't even know what an ascot was until earlier this morning), and shined black shoes that reflected the twinkle of the stars and the radiating lights from the chandeliers. His inexperience at dance was gnawing away at him a little, yeah, but he got an uptick of confidence from looking around at his student counterparts. Aside from a couple other humans, a few orcs and a few elves (weird seeing them), Zael was one of the tallest young men among those assembled. Felt kinda nice. Maybe homegrown Anirian grain was loaded with what thirteen-year-old boys needed to shoot up to Sable's height. Fuck, maybe he shouldn't've pissed off all the wrong Proctors back then and landed himself on privation torture so many times.

Eric looked back over his shoulder to him. "Do you remember what I showed--?"

"Yeah, I remember, I remember. Step, touch, step, touch, the easy one."

"Remember to guide her with your body--"

"I'll guide your nose with my fist if you don't shut the fuck up. And stop lookin at me like that, like I'm gonna be crowned King Toecrusher." The words were coarse, but Zael's tone was not. Eric, for his part, was understanding. He thought rightly that Zael just needed to say what he needed to say and didn't take it personal. He really was alright, Eric was.

Eventually, Eric was at the front of the line. He glanced back to Zael before Iliana came in, gave him a simple nod, and then went and bowed to Iliana and they locked arms and proceeded off.

Zael cracked his knuckles and gave his neck a quick turn. Alright, warrior. Go get her.

The attending professor by the door waved Zael forward, and he stepped forth onto the red carpet which led from the doors to the dance floor. And from around the corner came...

Zael could feel his lips slowly parting, slowly giving way to awe. Who came walking up to him, who stood before him now, was both Delaney and not Delaney. She was the Delaney he knew and the Delaney he had never seen quite like this before. Her legs, generously revealed by the shifting silk of her dress, were like the magnum opus of a master marble sculptor. The fluctuating of red to white and back as the dress flowed with each of her steps was hypnotic. Zael's eyes trailed upward and threatened to be trapped within the beautiful swell of her bosom. Up still, past the luscious dark red of her lips and to her eyes, somehow that same purple made more enchanting by the combination of colors and curves which now accompanied them, Zael thought sincerely in that moment of his eyes meeting her own that a woman retained the exquisite power to drive a man mad--literally mad--with desire, should she so choose it.

Vaguely, elsewhere, somewhere off to the side or behind, Zael distantly heard the announcing professor: "...and our esteemed guests from the Academy of Vel Anir, Ms. Delaney Lennox and Mister Zael Castomir...!"

Zael smiled. Bowed slowly and deeply to Delaney, one hand behind his back and the other over his heart, just as Eric had shown him.

Zael then held out his arm for her to take, and said, "Would you allow me the pleasure," his smile spread into a grin, "of lockin arms with the most gorgeous woman to grace this Hall?"

Delaney Lennox

Delaney smiled when she saw Zael. He looked extremely handsome in her favorite color. Black on black on black on black. She knew he was good looking and she had seen all of him before but this was different. He looked like someone who hadn't spent his entire life at the Academy.

Delaney curtsied (carefully) like Iliana had showed her multiple times and wound her arm into Zael's.

"My Lord Castomir, you flatter me," she said with a wink. "You look incredible Zael. Truly. I wonder if we can just stay here..."

The last words trailed off as the Dreadlord couple walked with each other to join Iliana and Eric. "Do I really look alright? I feel like everyone is staring," she said giving a glance around the glittering ballroom.

Zael Castomir

• Love
Reactions: Zael Castomir
Their arms linked, and they started down the carpet toward the dance floor as the procession of pairings and announcements continued behind them.

"Now, would I be so bold?" He replied with a smile. And, wow, just hearing her say that, hearing someone say that, My Lord Castomir--it had the sort of gravitational pull behind it that could motivate a man to redirect his life's course. And wouldn't that be something? Take a trip back to Tarrow, meet up with ol' mom and dad, more powerful than they could have imagined in every respect--physically, magically, and politically. The sweet revenge of having them address their forsaken bastard son as My Lord.

I wonder if we can just stay here...

There was something deeper than just the surface meaning of her spoken words, Zael felt. Like some kind of longing. And he had a thought about it: what were Delaney's plans, now that the Republic granted Initiates a variety of choices?

Out on the dance floor, the couples already paired were conversing and awaiting the commencement of the ceremony. They had some time for talk.

"They're starin because they want to be what they aren't or they want what they can't have," Zael said with an air of confidence. Then he centered his attention back on Delaney. Lifted a hand and touched her cheek, tracing slowly with the back of his forefinger down and across her chin and up her other cheek.

"And that would be you...My Lady Lennox."

Delaney Lennox

Zael's touch her cheek left a fire behind it as a strange feeling rose through her. This was so weird, so different...but she liked it.

"And that would be you...My Lady Lennox."

Her lavender eyes locked on his and a small very girlish giggle snuck through her lips. Delaney Lennox. Queen of Shadows. Murder. Human Weapon. Giggled!

She quickly brought a hand to cover her mouth as a slight blush rose to her cheeks. "Sorry, I think I like Lady Lennox as much as you like Lord Castomir. Let's just take over the world and give ourselves some noble titles," she smiled and turned to look around. The line was still going.

"You know, Iliana has tried really hard to teach me how to dance but I did terribly. She said to follow your lead and I didn't have the heart to tell her that you can't dance either..."

Zael Castomir

• Cheer
Take over the world and give themselves some noble titles. Hell, Zael liked the sound of that.

"You might just entice me to do such a thing," Zael said with a devilish smile. At present, he reckoned the world was a small price to pay to hear Delaney giggle like that again. Something about it all, that laugh, that smile on her face, the way her blush seemed all the more highlighted by her ivory skin, she had a radiance about her that was as rare for the Queen of Shadows as it was alluring.

The Academy deserved to be razed to the ground for trying to hide this gem from Arethil.

Zael rolled his shoulders back and hefted his chest up just slightly. His smile was unbothered, his tone smooth and level, "I'm more of a hands-on learner anyhow. We'll have a few fumblin first steps, but you know what? By the end, we're gonna be crowned King and Queen of the Ball."

Eric had told him about that bit. There was a King and Queen, a Prince and Princess, and a Duke and Duchess, little play titles given out near the end of the Ball, right when the whole "Fiery Skies" portion of the Festival was kicking off. Supposedly the Professors and Maesters who were the judges were impartial. Supposedly. But money and Elbion politics had a way of shoving their heads into the judges' "fair" deliberations, so Eric had said. Well, those motherfuckers better be impartial this time around--Proctor Penworth wouldn't do shit, but Zael and Delaney had ways of demanding a fair recount.

With an infectious confidence and high-spirit, Zael said, "It's not everyday you get to beat someone at their own game."

Delaney Lennox

Delaney smiled at Zael's prediction for their future royal status...at least for the night. She was alright with it. Iliana had filled her in on the traditions of the festival while they got ready. Not only were there six titles up for grabs tonight, the winners all got to have a completely excused day off with one friend. No classes, no make up work, nothing. Delaney had a feeling that the four of them could get into some trouble fun if any of them won. Of course, Delaney wanted her and Zael to be the Queen and King. It was fitting.

"It's not everyday you get to beat someone at their own ball," Delaney quipped back and ran a gentle finger along the line of his jaw. "But we are going to do it and we are going to lord it over everyone until the day we leave."

"Did I mention you look handsome? Because my favorite color really suits you,"
she lightly patted him on his cheek with the same hand that had been tracing his jaw.

Zael Castomir

• Bless
...and we are going to lord it over everyone until the day we leave.

"Mmhmm." This came with the sound of satisfaction, as if Zael had already gotten a taste of that sweet victory pie and just knew that the rest was inevitably going to be theirs.

He'd done as much for Delaney, and when she did the same, running a finger along his jaw, this one simple and fluid motion felt so disproportionately good it damn near boggled his mind. Story of his: in one of the brothels the Academy used to requisition the services of, there was a woman named Claudia. She had this eyepatch, never really said what happened to her left eye, but she leaned into the eyepatch thing. All the other working girls and the clients had taken to calling her "Captain Claudia," and her gimmick was dressing like a sultry pirate captain. Well, Captain Claudia with the eyepatch and the everpresent little smirk and the half-lidded eye had once told Zael something he thought was pretty profound: the two most intimate things you can do with somebody are sex and violence.

He'd thought about it. What was the common thread between those two things? Touch. Human contact. It just came in two different forms, from two different polar ends. The Academy had the latter fucking covered. Covered. Initiates breathed violence in, and exhaled violence out. They ate it for breakfast and got it beaten out of them for lunch.

And here's where that disproportionate feeling came in. Zael, like every other Initiate, was so used to one that the other was close to feeling alien. Close, but not quite. It was warm, and it was most certainly welcome, not all that different from water gracing a parched throat.

Was he saying that simply touching one another's faces amounted to them making love? No, of course not. But Captain Claudia's peculiar whorehouse wisdom still applied, however roughly, here to explain it all. Yeah. Zael was so used to punching in someone else's face, and having his own face punched in, that delicate little tracings with a gentle finger were terribly and wonderfully novel.

Unforgettable.

"Who woulda thought I'd make black look this good?" Zael said, giving his head a little whip and then running a free hand through his hair. And a bit like the good Captain, he leaned into his current gimmick well. "And you, My Lady Lennox, have elevated red to new heights of beauty."

The line of boys awaiting to be paired was short now, down to only a handful, and the musicians were just now finishing up their current tune. An anticipatory din of excited murmurs from the couples on the ballroom dance floor filled in the gap of music.

The commencement was close.

Delaney Lennox

• Aww
Reactions: Delaney Lennox
Delaney smirked and shook her head at head at Zael's head whip. There was no amount of cleaning up that would erase the quintessential Zael. Her hands fell to his suit jacket and she ran her flat palms down the front to smooth out the movement from their walking. He should look perfect when they music started.

She felt the blush rise onto her cheeks again. Yes, she was giving him compliments but it was still weird to have them said to her. She was someone that people were scared of and he had called her beautiful multiple times.

It was nice.

The line of boys was finally done and everyone stretched around the dance floor. Dresses and suits in every shape and color lined up in anticipation.

The music stopped and everyone was welcomed to the ball.

The music started up again and this time it was a slower tune. Iliana had told her that the first song was always the Elbion College song...whatever that meant.

Delaney looked at Zael with a smile and then out at the dancing bodies. "Are you ready?" She asked softly.

Zael Castomir

• Cheer
A regal tune, soft and with an enchanting whimsy but as well with a subtle triumphant edge, was struck up after the commencement--The Elbion College song. Heh, the College talked a big game music-wise. But if the College ever went up against the Academy? No contest in what really mattered.

The couples around them began to swirl and glide about, each with an easy motion that suggested that, for all these Students, this wasn't the first time they'd danced like this. That they'd had plenty of time for fun, recreation, pursuits other than magical and martial skill.

It was gonna be all the sweeter then when he and Delaney were crowned King and Queen over all of them. Queen of Shadows, King of Flames. Yeah. Damn nice ring to that. King of Flames.

Good news. Everybody was dancing in the way Eric had showed him (and Iliana had shown Delaney). Slow and romantic. So if he got lost in a step, there was plenty of guidance around to get a glimpse at and get back on the right track.

If he could take his eyes off of Delaney.

Zael placed a hand on Delaney's waist, linked his right hand with her left and held them out to the side. He pulled her close and had a second to wonder if she appreciated his warmth as much as he did hers.

"Fire and shadow dance well together on a moonlit night," Zael said, smiling, the regal tone he'd adopted for whole idea of Lord Castomir and Lady Lennox working wonders for him. He felt as if each of his spars had all transformed into dances, that he'd experience to best any of the Students gathered here.

"Wouldn't you say?"

And he took his first rhythmic steps, guiding Delaney along with his body--the turn of his hips and the gentle swing of their arms--as they together embraced a small taste of a life outside the Academy.

Delaney Lennox

Delaney felt some heat rise into her pale cheeks when Zael pulled her close to him. Her violet eyes just stared into his green ones with a goody ass smile on her face.

"Fire and shadow dance well together on a moonlit night."

Fire and shadow. Them.
Two very different destructive forces were mingling in the most unexpected place.

"I would, Lord Castomir...Zael..."

Delaney followed Zael's steps and she was surprised to see that he had paid attention to his last minute lessons. He swirled them around the dancefloor with the other students. Her dress was a little precarious though and he made sure to not dip her too far or spin her too fast. He was a perfect gentleman.

"We are just missing one thing," Delaney said with a sly smile now. A smile that said she was up to no good.

Without missing a step, her tendrils appeared and crawled down her legs to envelope both of their feet and legs in a dark swirling cloud of beauty.

"There we go. Much better," her eyes met Zael's again.

Zael Castomir

• Wonder
As the darkly majestic cloud of shadows swirled around their feet, their legs, some of the other dancers had taken notice. Looks of intrigue and fascination, or mild indignation and puzzlement. Maybe the Professors had all told them that they couldn't use their magic for the dance--or maybe those sour looks were just pure jealousy. Yeah, Zael liked option two better.

"That's a nice touch," Zael said, his western drawl coming back in as the Lordly affectation left.

Now, what would be fitting, of course, was to join in. Have his flames mix with her shadows. And he fuckin had every intention to, absolutely. If something went wrong, one of those bespectacled Professors had to know some water magic; not that this was a particular worry of Zael's, a burning ballroom would be a hell of a way to top off the night.

But Zael didn't want to set the ballroom on fire. He wanted to win King and Queen of the Ball. So he needed something spectacular. Something to leave such an awed impression on the judges that they forgot all about those bribes and the Elbionese political bullshit.

And he had an idea.

The next tune started up, and Zael leaned in closer to Delaney, their foreheads almost touching. He could feel the soft wisps of her breath tickling his face. And he asked with an assured smile, "Do you trust me, Delaney?"

Delaney Lennox

"Of course it is, I did it. I am amazing and wonderful," Delaney felt like Zael may have pulled her closer in that moment.

Delaney hadn't had many moments in her life where she was truly happy but this was one of them. She was happy as she danced with Zael in this strange college that treated it's students well. His hand on the small of her back brought a calm that she didn't even know what possible.

Her attention was drawn back to Zael as he leaned in closer to her. So close. Their lips were closer than they had ever been but she just focused on his eyes and nodded. "Ye...yes...I trust you," she stammered out.

Zael Castomir

• Bless
"Good," Zael said, "because we're gonna win this thing. You and me."

They danced in their slow circles, keeping admirable pace with the College students. Hey, maybe swordplay and dancing really did have some crossover--he and Delaney had picked it up pretty quick. And, you know, all hush-hush-like, if they did mess up a little the shadows were covering their feet, so the students could be jealous all they wanted to be because they hadn't the whipsnap wit of Delaney to think of something like that.

The tune changed again, and Zael was keeping an ear out for a particular one: a little more lively than the rest.

"We gotta go where everyone can see us. So you know what that means. We gotta go up."

He grinned, sly and devilish.

"When I say, put your feet on top of mine. I'll get us some altitude. And when we're up there, I'm gonna grab your waist and lift you up over my head, and you're gonna soar and spin above all these students. Make like a dark angel and fly."

Delaney Lennox

"We gotta go up."

And then explained what she needed to do on his go. She almost stumbled but no one saw it because of her shadows. Thank you for that forethought to make it look good.

"I'm sorry...what? You control fire...are you...are you going to burn me?"

Delaney just stared at Zael like he had lost his mind.

Zael Castomir

• Smug
"You? No. Never," Zael said, before adding with a cheeky smirk, "Not unless we're sparrin."

They needed that big moment. Something the judges couldn't even deny while bribe money lined their pockets and courting whispers of favors tickled their ears--and they couldn't because everybody would see it.

"You won't be behind me or beneath my feet, so you'll be fine."

He'd Fire Jumped plenty of times before. It was one of his special tricks, his unorthodox use of fire that your regular pyromancer never would've needed to figure out. That said, he didn't want to blast through the ceiling (or into one of those chandeliers) so he needed to control the Jump like he never had before. Less a Jump, more of a slow and gentle levitation up and then back down again. He figured he could, with intense concentration and control, but still it was something that wasn't second nature to him like a regular, powerful Jump.

Best to, uh, keep all this to himself though. He wasn't trying to scare the shit outta Delaney--he was trying to put a crown on both of their heads.

So he made a joke instead.

"It'd be good to be free and clear of students behind me, though. Or I'll scorch them." He smiled a troublemaker's smile and said, "How's that for a 'cultural exchange?'"

Delaney Lennox

Delaney smiled at Zael's quip. She would, one hundred percent, use her powers on him in the sparring ring. It was all fair in love and sparring.

"Alright, perhaps we can dance into the center of the dancefloor where it is more clear?" Delaney pointed out.

She was not sure what the range of the beneath and behind was so it would really be his call in the end.

Delaney would be lying if she said she was not more than a little excited about whatever he had up his sleeve.

Zael Castomir

• Cheer
"Good idea," Zael said. The plan was to win those crowns, not win them by default by scorching all of the other dancers. And, if he really wanted to, there were better ways of getting into a dicey, cat-and-mouse game with the local guards than flooring the entire Grand Hall of the Elbion College.

So Zael started to maneuver over that direction with little turns here and little twists there, the pair of them gliding gradually toward the center of the dance floor. He'd thought of it before and he'd think of it until he left (and even for a long time after, most like), but what a different world. What a different world lay outside of Anirian lands. And this was just Elbion, there were plenty of other places littered throughout Arethil. Some probably sucked. Molthal probably sucked. But some were probably alright.

There had to be some land available somewhere for Zael to plant the Castomir flag. Call it a new beginning from his shitty family and start the Castomirs anew with a land holding and a declaration that, yeah, my blood's noble now too, fuck you, what are you gonna do about it?

The current tune stopped.

And the one Zael was waiting for started. Lively, sizzling, and the College dancers all began to shift into a faster style of dance. Zael picked up what he could at a glance and improvised the rest.

"Almost time," Zael said, a gleam of excitement in his eye. "If you got any ideas on how to enhance our look up there with your shadows, do it. We're leavin these judges dazzled."

Delaney Lennox

Delaney and Zael made it to the middle without breaking up their beautiful steps. They were looking like they were natural dancers and she loved it.

She stayed silent as the danced because Zael looked like he was having a very important internal dialogue. It was pretty adorable when he got that thinking look on his face. Add that to things she would never admit out loud to anyone else because the Queen of Shadows didn't think people were adorable.

He finally spoke again and she smiled at the excitement he had. He was so ready for this little show and she was not going to stop him. She thought it was a brilliant idea and it would certainly win them those damn crowns.

"Oh, I am sure I can come up with something!" Delaney leaned closer and whispered, "I am ready when you are..."

Zael Castomir

• Cheer
Wait for it.

Wait for it...

Zael didn't know what exactly to expect. Eric had said that the Festival of Fiery Skies was "appropriately named" and left it at that with his little dimple-ly smile. But then it started going off, and you know what? Eric was right.

The floating chandeliers drifted like swans on a placid lake out toward the periphery of the circular dance floor, allowing for an obstructed view of the glass dome overhead. Above everyone in the Grand Hall, through the glass of the dome and up toward the black of the night sky, there came the deep sounds of popping and crackling and then brilliant displays of fiery orange burst into life over the entirety of Elbion. These magical wonders spread into symbols and shapes, like the insignia of the College or the slender body of a serpentine dragon, and even undefined but beautifully ornate patterns. They erupted into life and expanded quickly and held their being for a time and faded out, only to soon be replaced with the preceding thunderous fanfare of those pops and subsequent crackles by new symbols, shapes, designs. The skies above Elbion danced with radiant life as the students below in the Hall danced with one another.

"Feet on mine," Zael said. He gripped Delaney around her waist with a firm arm, pressing her securely to him. "And here we go."

Backblast area all clear? A quick glance thrown over each shoulder said so. Then Zael funneled all of his concentration into this effort, into doing what he knew he had the potential to do but had never truly done in so precise and controlled a manner before. Tempered jets of flame from his back, angled along the track of his shoulderblades, boosted him up slightly, as if he and Delaney had a harness about them and a pulley system had drawn them upwards. More jets of flame from his calves and his feet joined in, firing off as Zael made little intuitive corrections as needed to keep smooth and stable.

And up they went. High above the dance floor, the glass dome with the Fiery Skies outside nearer and nearer. Zael swirled them slowly as they went and to the gawking stares below it seemed as though they were dancing in midair.

Almost at the apex for the big finish!

Zael grinned. "My Lady Lennox...my dark angel...soar."

He let go of her extended arm and both hands took hold of her hips. Jets of flame from his back and feet keeping them aloft, Zael pressed Delaney upward into the air and over his own head and, no matter the outcome of the judges deliberation, they had their moment to reign over the Grand Hall, the very night sky above bursting with the color and fanfare of their coronation.

Delaney Lennox

Delaney was mesmerized by the fiery sky above them. It was beautiful and she had never seen anything like this. What magic this was! Someone could make a lot of money doing this for holidays and special occasions. Zael's voice brought her attention back to her partner and she smiled.

"Feet on mine."

Delaney did as she was told and put her feet on his. She hoped she didn't put too much weight on them but she was just following his orders. It wasn't long before fire was coming off of Zael and they were LIFTING into the air. Their feet were no longer on the floor and Delaney let out a joyful giggle as they rose higher and higher. This was positively amazing!

"My Lady Lennox...my dark angel...soar."

Before Delaney could say what or huh, Zael had lifted her over his head like she was flying. She took this as her moment to shine and let her tendrils weave around her and down to wrap around Zael before coming back up again.

This was most definitely the best time of her life and she owed it all to Zael.

Zael Castomir

• Cheer
Gasps from below. Ooo's and ahh's and whoa's. Everything Zael wanted to hear. There were probably pointing fingers and dancers stopped in midmotion looking up to see what all the fuss was about, and it was brilliant. Damn right they should be. He and Delaney were the stars of the show—the almost literal stars of the show even, given how close they were to the actual stars through the dome and all the fire and dark around them—and they'd miss it if they didn't look.

Time to go back down though, before he pushed his luck and his concentration faltered.

Zael carefully lowered Delaney back down, allowing her hands to find his shoulders and her feet to find his own. The jets of flame fired off with less intensity, and with this Zael began to descend in altitude. Hell, if he timed it just right, they could make a big landing right as the lively Fiery Skies tune came to its finishing crescendo.

Slowly down, slowly swirling all the way. Until his feet once again touched the dance floor.

Now, he could have ended it there. Taken a bow or something to the adoring crowd. But, with all eyes on them, didn't a big, showy move like this deserve a big, showy finish? Something with a little more oomph to it than simply landing back on the ground? Hell yeah it did.

Which is why, without telling her, Zael slid out a foot for stability and dipped Delaney down, kissing her firmly while she was still very likely surprised by the sudden dip. (Damn good thing he practiced this move on Eric, and good on Eric for being a helpful bud about it. Last thing he wanted was to pull a Dorian—talk of the town after the Ball, that.)

Impressed rounds of applause broke out over the dance floor, and this applause beget more and more. Damn straight! The judges would be showered with boo's and rotten food if they didn't rank him and Delaney at the top now.

Zael parted his lips from Delaney's own, his eyes catching hers, his words through the din of the applause between them and them alone. "You can slap me later," he said with a little smirk.

Delaney Lennox

The reactions were amazing. She had never had much positive attention given to her. She didn't blame people though. She commanded shadows and she preferred to be alone the majority of her time. Being friends with Kristen had brought her out of her shell more than she had ever been before.

This. This was a new feeling. People weren't afraid of her for once. It was nice.

It was not long before she was back in Zael's arms with her feet on his as he brought them back down to the floor. Delaney's smile was even bigger than it had previously been.

Delaney did not have time to take in their adoring fans before she found that her foot was no longer where she placed. She was tipping back in Zael's arm and his lips were on hers. Oh, she thought as she kissed him back. She heard the applause but her eyes didn't leave his.

Her fellow Initiate pulled away from her lips and gave her permission to slap him later. The weird thing was...she didn't want to slap him. No...she wanted to kiss him again. She was not sure how to feel about that as she finally found her voice.

"I would only slap you if I hadn't liked it, Zael," Delaney said as a soft blush rose on her pale cheeks.

Zael Castomir

The smirk faded.

And, as Zael leaned back upright and set Delaney on her feet, a smile had come to replace it. Was he fully expecting to get blasted across the face? Yeah. Yeah, he sure was. So what she had said came as a surprise powerful enough to set him back for a moment. Yet the smile revealed how he felt in the aftermath.

"Then that makes two of us liking it."

* * * * *​

Minutes later, all the dancers were arrayed in their pairs across the dance floor. They awaited, facing the platform along the circular wall with the professors, the Maesters, the Elbion officials, and the judges (even Proctor Penworth, standing over in a nook looking like he'd rather be anywhere else). As the Fiery Skies continued to illuminate the night sky outside, the judges at their table were debating with a lively energy amongst themselves. Zael imagined they were trying to furiously figure out a way to deny the exchange Initiates the honor of being crowned King and Queen of the Ball. Pfft. Sounded like just the thing some stiff official-types would do.

But he didn't let it get to him.

Hell, even if they were screwed out of it by under-the-table bullshit, with Delaney by his side it wouldn't even be all that bad. They stood arm-in-arm like Eric and Iliana next to them, like all the other pairs of dancers, awaiting the announcement of the accolades by the judges.

"You know, I'm kind of glad now that I missed the Academy's Ball." He looked over to her. A smile radiating the flame of gentle warmth. "It wouldn't have been as good as this. I had a great time, Delaney."

Delaney Lennox

Delaney and Zael stood with everyone else. She was nervous. It was a weird feeling and certainly not something she was used to feeling.

She smiled at Zael and leaned over to give him a kiss on his cheek. "I had a great time too, Zael. I just hope we won't have to kill anyone because they did not give us our rightful thrones," she squeezed his arm gently.

It was only a few minutes before the judges had reached their decision and stepped to the dais. While the judges had been speaking, the prizes had been put out. A crown and tiara for the king and queen, smaller crown and tiara for the prince and princess, and a sash for the duke and duchess.

She was practically vibrating with excitement now.

"I am nervous, Zael..." Delaney giggled out softly.

Zael Castomir

• Cheer